TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Three Days by silverwolf1213

[Reviews - 36]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes: This is based on a true story. This is how I felt when my grandfather died in August of 2011. I dedicate this fanfiction to the only grandfather I ever knew. In addition, I hope that for those of you who have lost loved ones can relate to this story. And I hope you find solace in knowing that someone out there understands what you went through.
Chapter notes: I had wanted to write this last summer, when the event had taken place. But I couldn't bring myself to write about it, I guess the pain was too great for me to actually write about it without crying. It's honestly taking all of my willpower to not cry as I write it now.

This is mainly an OC story, nothing really related to the Naruto plot. I was going to write it as an original story, but I figured I could rework everything to center on a shinobi plot line.

I do not own the Naruto universe.

Read on and enjoy.
My eyes were reading his lips. My ears were hearing what he was saying. But that didn’t mean my brain was registering the news.

Beside me, my younger sister was silent. I wasn’t sure she even really understood what our father was telling us. I mean, Maiko was only eleven, so I really doubted she completely knew what Otou-san was talking about. I didn’t even understand, and I was seventeen.

“Oji-san… Oji-san has cancer?” Maiko whispered as she looked to our dad with astonishment clear in her deep brown eyes.

Okay, so maybe she did comprehend. And heck, her voice was intoned with quietness that I hadn’t even realized she could achieve. She sounded so unlike her normally exuberant self.

I had been so wrapped up in noticing my little sister’s sign of understanding that I nearly choked when I felt my heart fall into the pit of my stomach. My father was nodding at her words, and I felt like I was being crushed.

My dad, my strong and intimidating and immovable father named Hideaki, looked genuinely sad. The calloused hands that had once experienced strenuous labor in their prime seemed so fragile now as they fidgeted upon the kitchen table.

“Your oba-san finally got him to go visit the hospital after years of him refusing to go,” he said. “I’m sure you both have noticed how he can barely move out of his chair anymore?”

Yes, yes, yes. Oji-san hated the doctors, we always knew that. And he was always sitting in his chair. But I mean, c’mon, there was a reason us grandchildren always called it the ‘Golden Chair’. We could never sit in it when the old man was around.

But this still wasn’t telling me how the man who had lived through wars and missions as a jounin shinobi for the Leaf Village and lived to be nearly eighty years of age could have cancer now of all times.

“The smoking finally caught up to him,” Otou-san said. “He has lung cancer, and tumors were found in his brain. They’re keeping him in the cancer ward in the hospital for the day so they can examine him further.”

My throat felt so dry. How could this have happened? Cancer was always a life-threatening disease, which we all knew. But it just seemed so surreal that it could happen to someone I knew. Someone I was related to. Someone I loved. My Oji-san.

I shook my head. “How?” was all I could utter. I felt so stupid the moment that word left my mouth. I knew how. I really wanted to know why.

Otou-san looked at me in what seemed like pity. I hated that look. He usually gave me that expression when I had done something that didn’t live up to his expectations. I guess this constituted as one of those moments. Because for the life of me, I couldn’t understand why this was happening.

“Takako…” he said, slowly murmuring my name.

Great, now he sounded worried that I would break down. No, I wouldn’t break down. Because he was lying. It wasn’t true.

“Hisao-san was a smoker for half of his life,” my father continued. “He was a great shinobi in his time, but even he had a weakness. It finally caught up to him.”

I felt myself shaking my head again. “But…”

I hadn’t seen him move, but there his hand was, clutching my much smaller and daintier fingers in his. The normally stern line that always adorned his deeply sun-tanned face was pressed into a sad frown. He never looked like that unless he was really upset or really disappointed.

“We’ll go see him tomorrow,” he said softly. “Right after you finish your work shift, we’ll see him.”

I couldn’t stop shaking my head. I didn’t like thinking that my own father would lie to me. But stuff like this just doesn’t happen to people you know. The people you love are supposed to live forever and be there for you forever and just… never die.

“You’ve never gotten along with Oji-san,” I said.

I don’t know why I said it, even though it was true. I saw my father’s black pupils widen in surprise at the venom in my voice. Venom I didn’t even know I could muster towards him.

“You’re always complaining about him, saying you can’t stand him,” I continued. The blank expression I had had during the entire conversation was now contorted with rage. “But you shouldn’t say stuff like this about him! Don’t wish this on him!” I stood up from the chair so quickly that it clattered to the wooden floor with a crash. I barely noticed, though I think I saw Maiko wince from the sound a little. Or maybe she was just trying to keep herself from crying like I felt like doing.

I was almost expecting my dad to burst from his seat and meet my challenging words with his own like he usually did. I was even hoping for it. Because at least then, we could argue for a bit before going off to our respective corners of the house to cool off and then make up. That’s how it was. That’s how it was supposed to be. Arguing over trivial things.

But the solemn expression on his face told me this wasn’t trivial. And the fact that he wasn’t yelling at me only made the harsh reality hurt even more. He was telling the truth.

“I would never wish this on someone, Takako, especially the grandfather of my children,” he said. “I’m sorry.”

Breathing suddenly began to really hurt. My head felt dizzy, like the oxygen had been sucked out of my brain in a flash. I wondered if this was what denial felt like.

No, this can’t be denial! I told myself. Denial only existed when you were running away from something. And I wasn’t running away from anything. My dad was just a really good liar, that’s all. That had to be.

“Chiyoko is home,” I heard him whisper. “Do not act upset in front of your mother. She is taking it harder than you must be.”

My head turned slowly towards the front door, and sure enough, my mother walked into the entrance hall. Still in her business attire as she removed her sandals, it was almost difficult to tell that she was depressed.

Almost.

All she had to do was look up at us, and it was enough to tell me that my father wasn’t playing some kind of sick joke on us. Maiko wasn’t being mature for no reason; she was experiencing something someone her age shouldn’t ever even have to think about. Now I truly knew that I had been in denial. This was probably the biggest slap in the face of my entire life.

My mother’s eyes were red and puffy. Tear stains left intricate paths down her pale cheeks.

It was all true.
Chapter end notes: I hope you all don't expect this to be a particularly happy story. It is depressing, it's based on true events. Why I'm posting it for all to read, I don't know. I guess I just want to give people something to relate to. If any of you, whether you've experienced the death of a loved one or not, can feel anything throughout this story, then I know I've done my job as a writer.

Anyway, thank you for reading! I appreciate it.