TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The Leaf and The Moon by ontuva

[Reviews - 17]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Title: The Leaf and The Moon
Author: ontuva
Beta: None, but I'd like to thank inyuashas_only_1 for pre-reading and for her kind words
Rating: PG-13 / T
Pairing: Kakashi/OC
Genre: Romance, Adventure, Fluff
Summary: A girl meets a boy. A boy meets a girl. Only problem is that the said girl is a mermaid. And the said boy shinobi.

”Mermaids lure sailors to their doom. They enchant them with their singing and their ships venture off their courses crashing into hidden rocks. The mermaids then drown them, cheating them with a kiss that promises life, but only gives death. The mermaids are monsters. We are better off without them.”

”The humans only want to hurt us. They fear us and they hunt us. Who wouldn't want to have a mermaid as their price on the wall? Who wouldn't want to have a mermaid as their pet? They don't treat you as equal, you are too different to be treated as such. Humans are monsters. We are better off without them.”

Warnings: I seriously can't figure out what there is to warn you about. Pirates? Yarr? Hahaa, SLIGHTLY AU!

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. I only own the OC's you don't recognize from the manga/anime.
Word count: 3,568
A/N: I know I'm horrible author. I'm a lazy updater, but when I have an inspiration “ I have to do it. And this idea struck me in the head way too hard to be ignored. It's summertime and I feel like writing a good old romance/fluff again. I haven't written those in a very, very, very long time... I appreciate all kinds of feedback! (Even bad feedback is better than to receive nothing at all!)

I got the idea about mermaids after reading (once again) H.C. Andersen's Little Mermaid (it is one of my favourite fairytales). I first thought that placing mermaids and Naruto crew would be silly, but the idea stuck in my head quite hard... So I had to ask my friend (thank you inuyashas_only_1, for all your kind words!) what she thought about it. In the end we had so much fun that we both decided to write our own stories! It was official, we were going to hav a friendly showdown! We do this for our own fun, but of course feedback is appreciated. :) And if you have any ideas, we both are always ready to be challenged! ^^
And be sure to check Sarah-hime's story "Learning to Run" too for more mermaid-action!
Chapter 1: The Encounter

The light danced and the world around her bathed in colors she had not seen ever before. Even her own coral colored hair seemed to have a lighter tone in this light – real light. She couldn't resist a giggle. She was finally seeing the real sunlight! Look at how it made her scales glow!

“Sayuri-hime, you can go go to the surface if you want,” her guardian hinted with a smile tugging in his lips. The enthusiasm of the 15-year-old girl was contagious. He wished he could have the same attitude every time he visited the Sea's Surface. Unlucky for him, the place had lost its attractiveness a long time ago.

“I don't want just yet,” she laughed and spun around, letting the light gleam on her body. “Look Eri-san, the color is the same as in mother's bracelet!” She pointed at her tail. It never was this shiny and light-colored at home!

“It's called silver,” the addressed merman explained. “The humans above think it's valuable.”

The mermaid-princess stopped in mid-motion and floated still, letting the sea currents move her around softly.

“Valuable? Would they think my tail is valuable?” she asked nonchalantly and tried to catch the sunlight in her hands. Her lips were pressed together in concentration while she chased it.

“Well, yes,” Eri answered after a while. He had been too entranced watching Sayuri's little game, he had forgotten she asked him a question. She cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Really?” she wondered. “But yours is so much prettier. I would change my tail for yours anytime! It is the color of the ocean sky at night, when all the light is fading and darkness settles in.” Eri smiled uncomfortably. As a merman he didn't like his tail to be considered pretty. But he had heard from other mermaids too that his turquoise-black tail was indeed something to be proud of.

“It is not the color that interests the humans, its the fact that you are a mermaid. And a princess on top of that!” He adjusted the trident in his hands and glanced upwards. He always got nervous when he started talking about humans. It was a stupid superstition, but he felt like talking about them would eventually invite them there and they would just pop out from nowhere.

“Why would they be interested in mermaids?” she pointed out and made a sudden dash towards Eri's fin where the light reflected in blue. Sayuri seemed to be disappointed when the said light didn't stay inside her small hands and she sighed in defeat.

“We are a rarity in their world. Everyone would love to have a mermaid or a merman as pet to parade around as if we were some corals to put on show!” This time Sayuri rushed for his black hair and swept her fingers through it. It was distracting. “The humans hunt us and kill us. That's why we are hiding.” Sayuri tilted her head and swam past him towards the surface, but just when she was about to breach it, she turned back at him.

“They can't be that bad,” she smiled. “I've heard mother tell stories about them. They seem... fascinating! Did you know they have light inside a glass frame? How do they get it in there?” She tried again to grasp the sunlight, this time on her tail, but failed. “Is it magic they use to capture it?”

Eri didn't share his princess' feelings. The only thing he felt towards men was resentment.

“No, Sayuri-hime. It's fire they use for light.” Sayuri stopped her light-capturing game and tilted her head to the side.

“Fire?” She tasted the word in her tongue. She couldn't recall hearing it before. “What is fire?”

“Follow me,” Eri said and made his way towards the surface. She spun around herself one more time marveling at all the shining lights before following Eri. Nothing could have made her prepared for what she was about to see, what she was about to feel.

First thing she noticed was how serene the world was. In the sea everything was moving constantly, nothing was ever still. But here the air was so calm. Until she felt the wind. The cool wind caressed her cheeks like the waters in the bottom of the sea. It left her cheeks rosy red and she took a happy breath – of air. Everything was so different! The reality was so much better than all the stories she had heard!

“The sun is full of fire,” Eri muttered and pointed at the sun. “If we linger here for too long it will burn us. At first it will feel pleasant, but in the end it will kill us.” Sayuri lifter her arm to protect her eyes. It was so bright, so full of light! How could anything be so full of light? But she could feel the warmness it produced.

“It doesn't feel uncomfortable,” she said carefully. “I think I like the feeling of it on my skin.” She turned her gaze towards Eri and gasped in amazement. “Your hair looks blue when the sun rays touch it! It's like... it's like magic! What color is my hair now?” She was babbling and she knew it, but all was so fascinating! It was so different in comparison to her world. Sayuri circled around herself again, trying to catch a glimpse of her hair when touched by sun.

“It's still coral, Sayuri-hime, but it has a touch of light gold in it... It reminds me of the treat your mother gave to you on your birthday. Honey, was it called?” he pondered. “I think it was honey.” Sayuri nodded and tried to take in everything around her at once.

The sea seemed to go on forever. Everywhere were she looked she saw the sea. And the sky! She gaped at it with her mouth open. White foams broke the endless blue.

“Look, the sky sea has foam too!” Sayuri noticed with a happy grin. “Do you you think the sky is really a sea too?” She wondered whether she could jump high enough the reach the sky sea. Could she swim to the sun? Eri furrowed his eyebrows and scratched the light stubble starting on his chin.

“I... I actually don't know what to think,” he shrugged, “perhaps you should ask Shu-sama about it.” Sayuri grimaced. Her father wouldn't want to talk about the upper world. He didn't even want his daughter to see the upper world! She wondered in amazement why could that be. There was so much in here the sea world did not have.

The small movement in the horizon got her attention and she squinted her eyes, trying to see what it was. Eri swam next to her and followed her gaze. His face immediately fell into look of disgust.

“Humans... with their ship,” he spat. “We need to leave.” He was about to dive, but noticed Sayuri was locked in her place. He didn't like to look on her face. She was curious, naive and a bit spoiled, which only meant she would want to go and see the ship. She turned her begging eyes towards him.

“Could we go just a little bit closer. Just a little bit,” she pleaded with her cutest face. She even showed Eri with her fingers how little her little bit actually meant. Eri was torn. He would love to see the princess happy and seeing the ship would do that, but on the other hand, humans were dangerous and he was in charge of the princess' safety. He didn't have time to decide though, since Sayuri had already made her decision.

“I'm going nearer!” she stated and dove underwater leaving Eri staring at where her figure once was. It took a moment for Eri to collect himself. He should've taken more guards with him! The princess had always been unpredictable and headstrong. But she had promised to behave... As she always did. He sighed and kicked himself to full-speed. He wasn't going to let Sayuri get herself hurt.

He caught her before she had reached the ship. Grabbing by her shoulders he was able to stop Sayuri from advancing further. He was bigger and had more muscle.

“We are not going to see that ship, Sayuri-hime!” Eri told her sternly. “You promised to me you would behave. Otherwise we won't be having another trip like this.” The crestfallen look he got from the princess almost broke his heart. She tried to peek behind his broad shoulders to see at least the ship's bottom. His grip didn't falter.

“Please, Eri-kun, I want to see the ship! Just a glimpse is enough. I just want to see humans. We'll be careful and they won't even notice, right?” Sayuri offered him the best disarming smile she had. She could see Eri was having an internal argument with himself.

“Alright,” he started and Sayuri did a spin of joy, “but you'll do what I'll tell you to do. Humans are dangerous.” He wasn't sure she was listening to him anymore.

“So you keep telling me,” she laughed and darted forward again. She was going to see a ship! And humans! A feeling of nervousness had settled in her stomach. Her sisters had told her all kinds of stories about the outside world, as her friends too! But now she was going to actually see real humans...

They were going to be so envious! She couldn't keep the excitement to herself and let out a happy giggle. She could see the dark outlines of the ship already and decided it would be best for her to stop. Eri was following her close behind. Sayuri could feel his disapproving gaze tearing holes in her back. But right now she didn't care.

She peeked from the sea to have a look. The ship looked massive! And she had never seen anything like it. How could it stay above water when it was so huge! And how many people could fit in it? She swam next to it as it continued its way forward.

Sayuri glanced around trying to see if she could spot a human. She could hear voices coming from the ship, so she was sure there was at least one or two of them! Her gaze followed the side of the ship, trying to spot... well... anything!

She didn't expect to spot eyes staring right at her. She had been seen! She let out a small yelp of surprise and dove underwater as quickly as she could. Sayuri's heart beat like never before. Were they going to attack her? Should she escape? Should she tell Eri they had seen her? She glanced at her protector and noticed he was swimming on his back, staring at nothingness, but his trident was ready for use.

The uncertainty of things teared her heart, but in the end her curiosity won. Nothing had happened, so perhaps these humans were nice. She peeked out from the sea again and spotted the same eyes. Or rather, an eye. She couldn't see its color because of the distance, but she had to admit, she liked his hair color. It was silvery, much like her tail.

They stared at each other until she found the courage to lift her hand a bit a do a small wave. That was how humans greeted each other, right? Her sister had told Sayuri that so she couldn't be completely sure.

She almost did a backflip when the boy she had made eye contact with first glanced around himself, probably to make sure no one saw what he did, and waved back at her. Sayuri couldn't resist a grin forming on to her face. She had greeted a human! All the girls back at home would die to hear about this!

What next? The humans gave usually gifts to each other. She wondered if she had anything to give. Then the idea hit her and if possible, her grin grew even wider. She had collected seashells earlier and found one that held a pearl. Her father had told Sayuri it would make a perfect gift for someone special. Well, her new human friend surely was special! She untied the knots holding the pouch containing the pearl on her hip and lifted it up.

The boy saw the pouch, she was sure of it. Now all she had to make sure was he would realize to catch it when she threw it. She glanced around. There were no others visible. She pointed at the pouch in her hand and then threw it with all her strength. Sayuri crossed her fingers that the boy would catch it.

She couldn't resist herself anymore when the boy caught it with lightning quick reflexes. She did a small backflip. This had to be the best day of her life! Sayuri followed the boy's movements with her gaze. Would he like the present? He eyed the pouch for a while before turning it upside down. The small pinkish pearl rolled out to his hand. Sayuri's father had said the color was rare. She hoped the boy would like it.

The boy bowed deep and pointed at his hand. Sayuri mouthed a little o. She was going to receive a present too? She hoped she would be quick enough to catch it. She saw his hand raise and throw something at her. It glistened in the sun and she realized she had to jump to reach it. Sayuri threw all her caution away and did so. She caught it and hit the water with mighty splash. She didn't care – she had just gotten a new friend!

She eyed the thing very carefully. It looked a bit like pearl with a string, but it was the color of her tail. Silver. The wind moved it a bit and she could hear a tiny tingling sound. She took a deep intake of breath and shook the silver pearl carefully. It really did tingle. She raised her head so the boy would see she was really happy for her gift. It would be her treasure for now on!

Sayuri only caught a glimpse of the silvery-haired boy before she heard the yell:
“Mermaid!” The breath she was about to take caught on her throat and she froze. Sayuri was abruptly pushed underwater, but not before she felt a graze hitting her shoulder. She glanced at it and to her horror she could see blood. She was bleeding.

“Don't worry about them! The pirates are attacking!” Eri's weight pushed her down before she could hear more. She was too shocked to resist the heavier merman when he took her deeper and deeper into the sea. They both were scattered forward when the shock wave hit them underwater.

“What is going on Eri-kun?” Sayuri yelled. She had never witnessed anything like this. The sea had come to life and she was at loss. What had happened? What was happening?

“Other ship came and attacked the one you were infatuated with. What were you thinking staying up for so long a time?” Eri's voice was strained and Sayuri realized he was angry. Angry as an enraged shark. She held her head down in shame and showed him the silver pearl she had gotten.

“What is that?” Eri asked with a voice that was too calm to be true. Sayuri didn't know what to answer to him. How could a day that had been so perfect take such a horrible turn?

“I...I,” she tried to answer, but instead found herself cradled in Eri's arms when a loud boom could be heard even underwater and a shock wave more powerful than the first one ripped through the sea. Splinters and parts of wood carried with it and Sayuri heard Eri wince when he was hit. She tried to resist the tears of panic. What would happen to them? What would happen to the boy she gave her pearl?

“We need to leave, now!” Eri commanded her, but she shook her head and pushed him away. She needed to know the boy would be alright! She started to make her way back towards the ships, but Eri got an iron grip on her hand.

“We – need – to – leave – now,” he said and his gaze was so frightening Sayuri's will started to falter. But then her gaze hit to something she couldn't believe. Her pouch. Sinking. She took a lightning quick dash towards it and her sudden movement got her out of Eri's grip. He hadn't thought she would resist him anymore.

“Sayuri-hime! Don't go there!” he yelled after her. She didn't listen, but kicked the water harder. If the pouch was here, the boy was probably near by too. Sayuri checked the are frantically with her eyes. She couldn't see him anywhere and Eri was nearing her. She couldn't leave this place without knowing the boy would be alright!

A sudden glimpse of silver got her attention and she darted towards it. She could see him now. The boy was sinking, his hair a floating cloud of silver. She could feel the tears stinging in her eyes, but the water washed them away without her even noticing it.

“Please be alive, please be alive,” she pleaded and took a tight grip of his vest. He wasn't that heave and that she was grateful for. She was able to near the surface with quick speed. Sayuri knew humans couldn't breathe underwater. They needed air.

The glow of the sun had changed its color. The whole sea was a shade of orange, but Sayuri didn't have the time to stay and wonder it now. She didn't notice the water getting warmer and warmer. With a final kick they both reached the surface. She didn't hear Eri's warning in time.

“Fire!”

Sayuri glanced frantically around. It was hot, too hot and only thing she could see was thick black air. She couldn't breathe it. She was quite sure the boy couldn't either. She couldn't dive again, not with him. He would drown. Sayuri started to feel desperate and swam forward blind. She couldn't see a thing, she couldn't breathe and it was starting to be too hot. She tried to wave the thick air away from her face, but her hand hit something. It stung her and she pulled her hand back not noticing the red blisters that were starting to form. What was she going to do?

She felt a hand grip her hip and a moment later she was underwater, Eri glaring at her. Without saying a word, he took the boy from her and dashed forward with both of them. Sayuri had never witnessed anyone swim so fast. She tried to help him by kicking with her tail too.

“Don't,” Eri said between his clenched teeth. This time she did as she was told to and when they breached out from the water, she was silent and still. The boy was unmoving in Eri's arms. He didn't breathe. Sayuri had never in her life felt so powerless.

“Help him, please,” she begged her guardian.

“Keep him floating,” he commanded and took a grip of the boy's jaw. Sayuri tried to keep the boy's body near the surface while following what Eri was doing. She hoped with all her heart he could help the boy. What he did amazed her. He clenched the boy's nose shut and blew air to his lungs through his mouth. Sayuri almost crossed her fingers. If Eri didn't know what to do... if this didn't help...

It took two more breaths before the boy started coughing and gasping for air. But he didn't wake up. But he was alive and that was what mattered. Sayuri neatly tied her pouch to his vest, so it wouldn't get lost another time. She could at least do that.

Eri's gaze followed her the whole time. She knew he was angry. Probably beyond angry. And she would face the consequences later.

“Don't ever do that again,” he started his lecture.

“I won't,” she promised, trying hard not to cry. Eri gave her an one-armed hug and she answered it. She had been so scared. If Eri hadn't been there, she would probably be dead. And the boy too.

“I mean it,” he whispered with a raspy voice. “My heart almost stopped when you started to swim straight towards that fire.” Sayuri nodded, not wanting to relive today's experience ever again.

“Keep company to the boy. I'll try to find some sort of raft for him. He's not going to live if he has to stay in water. We need to tow him in a shore somewhere.” Eri looked around him and started to swim towards the blown ship.

Sayuri looked at his retreating back and then turned his attention to the silver-haired boy. He was breathing. He was alive!

“What have I gotten myself into?” she muttered and glanced at the silver pearl in her hand.