Bonds of Blood by animeroxsmyworld
Summary: “Grouping her together with that…demon, will automatically put her in danger. I say we separate them.” Koharu continued, standing up from her seat. "Let Naruto go by Uzumaki, Kyoko will be the only Namikaze.”
Categories: Het Romance > Fluff, Alternate Universe & Crossovers > Minor AU, General Fiction > Timeless Characters: Naruto Uzumaki, Pair NaruHina, Pair OCSasu, Sasuke Uchiha
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 136772 Read: 66873 Published: 10/12/09 Updated: 19/09/10
Story Notes:
Rating may go up in later chapters
This story is also on FF.net, I DIDN'T COPY IT, I'M THE SAME AUTHORESS

1. Deciding Fate by animeroxsmyworld

2. The Uchiha Encounter by animeroxsmyworld

3. Hunger by animeroxsmyworld

4. Puppy? by animeroxsmyworld

5. Festival by animeroxsmyworld

6. Fearful Glimpse by animeroxsmyworld

7. Starting to Break by animeroxsmyworld

8. Dropping In by animeroxsmyworld

9. Acting Strange by animeroxsmyworld

10. Nightmare by animeroxsmyworld

11. A Place to Rest by animeroxsmyworld

12. Four Years Later by animeroxsmyworld

13. Surprise Attack by animeroxsmyworld

14. Graduation by animeroxsmyworld

15. Revelations by animeroxsmyworld

16. Becoming Aware by animeroxsmyworld

17. A Little Bitter by animeroxsmyworld

18. Bad News by animeroxsmyworld

19. Learning to Die by animeroxsmyworld

20. Pursuit by animeroxsmyworld

21. Team 7 vs. The Iwa Nins by animeroxsmyworld

22. The Demon Within by animeroxsmyworld

23. Tears, Candy, and Fan Girls by animeroxsmyworld

24. Fighting Zabuza by animeroxsmyworld

25. Meetings by animeroxsmyworld

26. Survival by animeroxsmyworld

27. Strength by animeroxsmyworld

28. Sign Me Up by animeroxsmyworld

29. Good Enough by animeroxsmyworld

30. Phase One by animeroxsmyworld

31. Phase Two (1) by animeroxsmyworld

32. Phase Two (2) by animeroxsmyworld

33. Phase Two (3) by animeroxsmyworld

Deciding Fate by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto

Authoress note: If any of the information in my story seems off, according to the manga or the anime, I’m just guessing or going off the top of my head, so just let me know and I’ll change it right away. Besides that, I hope you enjoy my story.

Now just a warning in advance in case you want to get out now, I’ve seen a few stories where Naruto had a twin sister or an older sibling so this is my own version of how it would go.

Oh and this story is also on FF.net so if my updates seem late it’s because I’m updating on two sites at once.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 1: Deciding Fate

~*~

“Minato, are you sure about this?” Gamabunta asked solemnly as Namikaze Minato stood on top of him, his yellow eyes looking up at the blond shinobi on his head. Minato stood with Naruto cradled in his arms, his tears visible in the moonlight as they fell silently down his face.

“I have to do this, there’s no other way.” Minato responded as he slowly opened his eyes, tightening his grip on his son. The Kyuubi no Kitsune was on the other side of the two, all nine tails lashing out behind him. With each lash, sound waves knocked trees backwards, created craters on the ground and made a wave of ninjas fly backwards as they tried to fight against the monstrous fox.

Those red eyes stared hatefully at them, canines bared and gleaming.

“I’m here for you kid.” Gamabunta offered softly, reaching one webbed hand back to grasp the hilt of his small sword, anticipating the battle to come. They both knew that they were no match for the demon in means of brute force, but they had come up with a plan.

“Thank you Gamabunta. Please make sure Jiraiya-sensei and Sarutobi-san get Naruto and Kyoko.” Minato nodded in gratitude as he looked down at his son. His wife, Uzumaki Kushina, had gone through an induced labour and had given birth to identical twins, Naruto and Kyoko.

Delicately, he took the cloth off of Naruto, revealing the seal painted on the infant’s naval.

It was the Shiki Fuujin No Jutsu (Dead Demon Consuming Seal), something that he had constructed. It would seal away half of the Kyuubi’s chakra, the Ying, while the Yang chakra would be accessible to Naruto in future years.

“And Kushina?”

“She was already half dead when I arrived.” Minato whispered in a dead voice. The doctor had told him that they had tried all they could but they couldn’t help her. She wouldn’t make it through the night. It was nothing short of a miracle that she survived as long as she had, managing to just survive giving birth.

“There was nothing I could do.” He whispered just loud enough to be heard over the wind.

He hated how the last moment they had together resulted in him hurting her by taking Naruto. By using their only son in this sealing jutsu.

The wind whistled through the air, making Minato’s white and red cloak flap around him wildly. The moon overhead was the only source of light for this battle. He nodded to himself as he realized that now was the time.

“Let’s go.”

Gamabunta nodded before the two Konoha warriors snapped their heads in the direction of the Kyuubi as it gave a shriek of a bark.

It was a shrill sound that made the hair on the back of Minato’s neck stand on end.
Minato braced himself as the wind threatened to knock him back, nestling Naruto against his chest for safety.

The ninjas below parted and retreated as their eyes landed on the Yondaime. They had done their part, holding the fox off until Minato could arrive.

“You better be ready!” Gamabunta called before pushing off the ground, the muscles in his legs pushing him a great distance. He could only do so much against a summon of this calibre.

In response, the Kyuubi lunged forward towards the giant Toad while Minato’s free hand flashed through the hand signs.

“Forgive me, Naruto.” Minato apologized to the infant as light shot forth from him, a sign that the seal was activating. Naruto’s cheeks were wet with fat tears as he wailed into the night though it could be barely heard as Gamabunta wrestled with the giant fox.

Everything was engulfed in the bright light, Minato feeling his chakra drain away from him as his body began to weaken. The flaw of this sealing jutsu was that it would take the life of the caster in return for using it.

A shockwave filled the earth, the shinobi below bracing themselves as multiple people got thrown back from the force.

It was as if the whole Earth had pulsed.

Pain flashed through Minato, white and hot, like lightning. His mouth opened in a silent scream of agony as he dropped to his knees, crumpling over at the waist. His whole body felt like it was on fire.

The light faded leaving Minato on his knees trembling, bent at the waist with his forehead pressed against Gamabunta’s skin. Naruto was just barely in his grasp, pressed against his chest as Minato wheezed and coughed, spluttering for breath as indescribable pain throbbed inside his skull.

He fumbled and staggered to his feet, his body sluggish and unwilling to obey him as his eyes unfocused. Had he just been hit by a two by four?

Where the Kyuubi had once stood, there was now an empty space. Red chakra however, leaked through the trees like mist, curling against trees and stones. Eventually it would evaporate into the very air they breathed and then disappear for good.

“Gamabunta! Lower me to the shed! I need to hurry!” Minato wheezed sharply as he saw the seal glowing on Naruto’s stomach. The seal still wasn’t complete. There was a second step to it that would ensure it lasted.

“Got it!” Gamabunta replied quickly, knowing that it was important for Minato to hurry. He lowered the male to the ground, in front of a small abandoned shed that was located not far from where they had stood moments ago.

They had already had this last step all planned out, even the location of the shed was deliberate. Everything would be set up for him already, Jiraiya having stopped by the shed shortly before helping the other ninjas with the battle.

Minato staggered into the building, lying Naruto in the center of the ground. It was taking the last of his strength to light the candles around his son, struggling to light them
properly since everything was spinning around him. His perception was off and he almost burnt his own fingers a few times by missing the wick of the candle completely.

The candles lit and a glow flowed into Naruto’s body, burning a bright red. The air in the shed turned into a wind that whipped about wildly, like the howl of a fox. On Naruto’s body, the glow faded but whisker marks slowly revealed themselves on his cheeks, becoming etched into his very being.

The wind disappeared, taking with it the flames of the candles. Smoke swirled around the room as Minato crashed forward, face smacking into the pavement below him.

“I’m…sorry…Naruto…” Minato gasped out breathlessly, eyes swimming before beginning to go dim. In that last second, he saw a red haired angel reach out towards him, tears of silver on her face.

Yet she still looked as beautiful as she did the first night they met.

“Kushina.” Minato smiled appreciatively, that one thought running through his head before he thought no more. Minato’s soul leaving to pay sacrifice for the seal.

The fourth Hokage and Konoha’s yellow Flash was dead.

~*~

“How can you even consider letting that…that thing…live?” Uchiha Fugaku cried out angrily, glaring at the unmoving Hokage.

“I am not going to allow the murder of an innocent child!” Sarutobi roared with authority. The council grew silent for a second before erupting in protests.

“That is not a child! That’s the demon itself!” Another council member shrieked, pointing a shaking finger at the surprisingly slumbering twins. Jiraiya had collected Naruto and Minato’s corpse from the shed once the battle was settled while a nurse had brought over Kyoko from the hospital once Kushina had passed on.

“It should be killed now, while it’s weakened!”

“Why should it still live while so many loved ones died trying to kill it?”

Sarutobi frowned deeply as most of the council shouted the same thing. It was disturbing how little they cared about the death of the blond baby.

“Are you mad? This thing could be the greatest weapon Konoha could have possibly received!” Ling shouted, turning to face the rest of the council.

“Think about it! With the right training, it could make us the most powerful ninja village!” Ling continued.

“Or it could turn around and destroy us!” Someone else accused of the blond infant.

“If we don’t kill it now while it’s weak, it’ll only continue to be an even bigger threat!” Fugaku snapped.

“It’s a demon! It can’t be killed by normal means!”

Sarutobi frowned deeply, eyes narrowing.

Did they have no regard for human life?

“That weapon is only a baby! Not even any baby but Minato’s baby!”

Everyone flinched, turning to look at an angry Jiraiya who had been standing in the corner, next to the small crib the two babies were slumbering in, the set of blondes looking near impossible to tell apart, save for the whisker like markings on Naruto’s face.

“What would Minato or Kushina say if they found out that you were trying to murder their son?!” He yelled, fists clenched at his side. Minato was the closest thing that Jiraiya ever had to a son, and to see the council treating Minato’s actual flesh and blood with such cruelty made his blood boil.

“Minato was trying to kill the demon!” Fugaku snapped, now turning on the white haired sannin. “He failed though and now we have to carry out the rest of the plan!”

“Minato never planned to kill the demon!” Sarutobi cut in harshly, a hush falling among everyone at those words.

Fugaku seemed to be the first to regain himself.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE NEVER PLANNED TO KILL THE DEMON?” He cried out in pure fury. Had the Yondaime planned to just let it run rampant, killing countless people? Let it live after all the loved ones it had taken from everyone?

“A demon can’t be killed. It can only be sealed.” Sarutobi supplied as he glowered at everyone in the council. “Naruto is in no way the Kyuubi but the Kyuubi’s jailor. Thanks to Naruto, the Kyuubi is no longer around.”

Sarutobi took this minute of silence that fell among the council to continue.

“Minato wanted his son to be known as a hero. He had this worked out a few days before the birth. Ever since they figured out a way to stop the Kyuubi. He wanted his son to live. Shouldn’t we honour the wish of the deceased Yondaime?”

“I’ll never be able to forgive that demon for killing my family. There’s no way I would honour him!” Someone spat venomously, the silence now broken.

“But we can still let him live.” Sarutobi pressed firmly, not backing down on his decision. He would not budge on the last few wishes Minato had ever asked of him.

“It’s troublesome but…I agree.”

The room filled with shocked silence as all eyes turned to look at the source of the voice. The male was leaned forward in his chair, his left arm in a splint while a bandage covered his right temple and chin. A wound from where the Kyuubi had scratched at him absently, but it would scar over nonetheless. Yet compared to the multiple shinobi never to return home, it was a minor injury.

Nara Shikaku stared back, resolve unchanging in his calculating face.

“You what?” Someone breathed, shock coating the words.

“I said I agree. The Yondaime was a true hero to the Village and a good friend.” Shikaku repeated.

Jiraiya could’ve sunk to his knees and praised the damn Nara. Someone else was on their side.

“Well….if Shikaku is ok with it….” Akimichi Chouza started, timidly at first. His voice quavered slightly as people slowly began getting over there shock. He figured he better hurry up before they began chewing him out. “Then I’m fine with it!” He squeaked quickly.

Yamanaka Inoichi swore under his breath as he saw the inevitable fate his friends were dragging him into. They stuck together through thick and thin so it seemed they had made the decision for him.

“Well fuck.” He cussed as he slapped his forehead. “I guess that makes me in as well. Minato was a hell of a guy. I guess I can do this in memory of him.” Inoichi mumbled.

“What’s the matter with you?” Someone screeched at them, and soon everyone else joined in. It seemed the little tiny show of defiance for Naruto brought around a few more, the Hyuuga and the Aburame clan coming to their side eventually as an argument waged.

It pleased Sarutobi that Minato had people who still respected him enough to risk this for him.

“What about Kyoko?” A female asked, having been quiet through the whole argument. The question actually silenced quite a few of the council members, drawing everyone’s mind to the other child of the Yondaime and Kushina.

“What about Kyoko?” Sarutobi asked slowly as he looked at the female who had spoken. It was Utatane Koharu, one of his old teammates. Her grey hair was pulled up in a tight bun with a pair of chopsticks shoved through it. Her face was cold yet still sharp despite her age.

“Is she not also the child of Minato? We need to think about her safety as well.” She started, rapping her knuckles lightly on the top of the table.

“That’s right! We can’t simply allow her to be put in danger by staying with that…that…thing!” Someone else agreed, sounding like they were choking at the end of their sentence.

“Kyoko will be in no danger.” Sarutobi reassured. To the members of the council, she was the real child of Namikaze Minato, not the jinchuuriki lying next to her. She wasn’t the one holding a demon captive.

“Grouping her together with that…demon, will automatically put her in danger. I say we separate them.” Koharu continued, standing up from her seat. “She is the rightful heir to the Namikaze name.”

“How do you figure that? Naruto is the rightful heir!” Jiraiya barked, placing one hand on the crib. By law, the male of the family would be the heir to the family unless the only remaining member was a girl, then she was by default, the heir.

“That thing is not the heir!” Fugaku stated harshly. “That…boy…shouldn’t even be alive!” He spat.

Sarutobi massaged his temples as noise assaulted his ears. Did he not just go through this? They were talking in circles.

“Anyone who lays a hand on this boy will immediately be put in jail.” Sarutobi spoke up, making his tone as commanding as he could.

“That’s an outrage! How can y-“

“IF I HEAR ANOTHER WORD ABOUT KILLING HIM, YOU’LL BE THE FIRST ONE GOING TO JAIL FUGAKU!” Sarutobi finally snapped, his patience gone. This council meeting was going in circles and they still had more pressing matters to deal with as well.

Fugaku’s jaw clicked together quickly, eyes glowering at the Sandaime as he lowered himself down. Many of the other council members did the same.

“…We’ll let the boy live…” Koharu started. Fugaku’s vein on his throat throbbed with how badly he wanted to object, but the threat of the Sandaime still rung in his ears.

“But in return, let Naruto go by Uzumaki, Kyoko will be the only Namikaze.” Koharu finished. Only the council members knew about the secret marriage between Minato and Kushina. It had been a safety precaution in case anyone had decided to try and harm Kushina to get to Minato. Uzumaki was Kushina’s maiden name.

Jiraiya opened his mouth to protest when Koharu gave the two men a piercing look.

“This is the best deal you can get with us at the moment.”

The rest of the council seemed to settle down, a few mumbling in protest, but the majority nodded in agreement. Jiraiya looked at Sarutobi who was remaining quiet, the elderly man having a thoughtful look in his eyes.

“On one condition.” Sarutobi said calmly, Jiraiya’s eyes widening, mouth dropping slightly. He didn’t expect the old man to actually give in and compromise. “No one is allowed to tell the younger generation anything. Speaking about the demon is forbidden.”

“WHAT!” Many council members screamed at once, Fugaku included.

“I’m sorry Hokage-sama but we have a right to warn our children of the danger.”

“There will be no danger. There will just be a boy.” He said, for once rising out of his seat with deliberate slowness. “Now this will be the best deal you will get from me.”

The council sat in silence, before angry grumbles and complaints began to arise. Sarutobi sat back down in his chair before looking over at Jiraiya. His brown eyes looked tired, as if the elderly man would like nothing more than to leave the room.

“Please take them to my office. There are still some arrangements we need to discuss before I can leave. I’ll be there in a few minutes.” Sarutobi instructed wearily, Jiraiya frowning before gripping the edge of the poorly constructed crib.

The wheels squeaked as he effortlessly rolled the twins out of the room, the last time the two would ever be known as brother and sister.

~*~
The Uchiha Encounter by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto

Authoress Note: If Itachi or Sasuke appear OOC in this chapter it’s just because it’s before the massacre, during happier times.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 2: The Uchiha Encounter

~*~

The streets of Konoha were crowded, people brushing past each other as they continued on their way. Uchiha Itachi continued like any other, his head down as he skimmed over the instructions for his A-Rank mission tomorrow.

When he had been told he had a mission, he had dutifully gone to the Hokage tower…with an added tag along. A raven haired 8-year-old bobbed along at his side, an angry pout on the child’s face at the fact that his older brother would be leaving.

“How long are you going to be gone this time?” A small voice complained from beside Itachi, the 13-year-old glancing down at his younger brother. Sasuke was starring up at him, his hands shoved into the pockets of his white shorts.

“It shouldn’t take too long.” Itachi reassured with a small smile, Sasuke scowling at the vague response.

“I’ll leave in the morning and I should be back at supper.” Itachi clarified, smile growing at Sasuke’s expression.

“Then are you going to help train me some more?” Sasuke asked.

“If I have time. I have to make a mission report and give it to the Hokage once I return.” Itachi explained, Sasuke’s expression falling. The two brothers had less and less time to spend together, ever since Itachi became an ANBU member.

If he didn’t receive missions from the Hokage, their father was always sending Itachi off on missions himself.

Always mission after mission.

“Oh…” Sasuke muttered quietly, trying to keep the dejection out of his voice as his onyx gaze fell to the ground. Itachi sighed before reaching back and ruffling Sasuke’s cockatoo style hair in a brotherly fashion.

“But, then I’ll make sure to come back and train you.” Itachi amended.

Sasuke’s head snapped up quickly. “Really?!”

Itachi nodded and Sasuke beamed, his whole face lighting up. Seeing that Sasuke was now content, Itachi turned back to reading the paper while his hand slowly dropped from Sasuke’s head. The two continued on their way, Itachi slowly tuning out the background noise as he led Sasuke into less crowded streets.

The streets by the Uchiha compound were always less crowded since the only buildings along the road were of Uchiha property. There were less and less public buildings.

The sound of a dog barking and snarling caught Sasuke’s attention, though it sounded a few streets off. It grew louder as they got closer to home. Sasuke casted a quick glance at his brother, but Itachi looked unconcerned so Sasuke stayed put at his side. As they slowly reached where the dog should be, Sasuke looked over curiously.

“Onii-chan!” Sasuke called out fervently as he tugged on Itachi’s shirt.

“Hmm?” Itachi mused, his eyes remaining on the paper in his hands.

“Onii-chan!” He continued, more urgent this time. “Onii-chan, look!” He finally insisted with a harsh yank on Itachi’s shirt. Itachi inwardly sighed, stopping in his tracks.

Itachi looked up, following where Sasuke was pointing as noise began to slowly wash over him again. Barking and snarling assaulted his ears, making his gaze quickly fixate on the rather large dog.

He judged the scene quickly for what had caught his brother’s attention and a fraction of a frown tugged at his lips when he saw what it was.

The huge rottweiler was snarling viciously as it rammed its head repeatedly into the bottom of a long abandoned wooden fruit stand. The rather large wooden stand swayed and rocked from the force, but overall stayed in its place.

It might’ve been bolted to the ground, if that was possible.

What was concerning was the flash of blond hair visible under the stand, the child just barely out of the dog’s reach. If the child had tried to call for help, it would’ve been drowned out by the dog’s constant barking.

“Sasuke, stay here.” Itachi instructed as he shoved his paper into his pocket, Sasuke nodding and letting go of Itachi’s shirt. Itachi walked into the alley calmly, the dog raising its head at the new presence.

Beady eyes locked with Itachi’s onyx ones as Itachi continued to approach.

Without hesitating, Itachi’s eyes changed to blood red. The dog went completely slack as it starred into the sharingan, entranced in a genjutsu. Slowly, it sat on its rear as Itachi finally stopped, only an arms length away from the dog. Flopping over, the dog fell asleep.

Itachi blinked, eyes going back to black, before looking at the fruit stand. With the barking and snarling gone, sniffling and whimpering could be heard. Kneeling on one knee, Itachi peered under the stand, his ponytail flopping over his shoulder.

“You can come out now.” He called out to the child. Ocean blue eyes cracked open in response. The child, now distinguishable as a girl, sniffled before crawling out from underneath the stand.

In the light, Itachi recognized the Namikaze heiress instantly.

“T-t-thank you.” She sniffed as she wiped at her eyes, slowly standing up. She yelped in pain as she brought her left leg under her, staggering before grasping onto the stand for support, fresh tears springing to her eyes before trailing down her face.

The left leg of her black pants had been torn up to the knee revealing deep bite marks which Itachi could only conclude belonged to the dog. It was bleeding and was probably causing her quite some pain. She would need to get that looked at.

The dog would have to be brought to the attention of the Inuzuka clan. Even though they generally only raised ninja dogs, in cases such as this, it was wise to take the dog to them and let them deal with it.

“That looks pretty bad.” Itachi sympathized as he crouched in front of her, gently pressing a hand against the girl’s leg. Kyoko’s cheeks turned pink as she starred at the male who had kindly rescued her. He looked up at her with a tiny apologetic smile.

“I’m going to have to take you to the hospital.” He informed before his hands flashed into a quick hand seal, a flash of smoke appearing next to him. A shadow clone appeared before walking over to the dog and picking it up with a grunt before disappearing in a swirl of leaves.

“O-Ok.” Kyoko agreed with a nod, her heart thrumming in her chest. Of course her guardian had told her to not go with strangers but this situation was rather special. She was hurt and frankly quite lost…and this guy was so kind to her.

Itachi bent down in front of her, gesturing for her to climb onto his back.

Her face flushed a darker shade of pink but at the moment her leg was hurting too much so she climbed onto his back, wrapping her arms around his neck. Itachi straightened up before walking back to where Sasuke stood waiting.

The younger Uchiha blinked twice, Kyoko mirroring the action.

“Sasuke?”

“Kyoko?”

“You two know each other?” Itachi asked, a brow lifting a fraction. He would’ve thought he’d of known if the daughter of the Yondaime was in the same class as Sasuke.

It was then that Kyoko did something Itachi didn’t expect. She purposefully poked her head out from behind Itachi’s shoulder and stuck her tongue out at the younger sibling.

Sasuke scowled at her before deciding to address his brother’s question. “We’re in class together.”

“Well we have to take her to the hospital.” Itachi instructed, ignoring the ‘nyah’ noise Kyoko was making by his ear. “You can either come along or go home.”

“Huh?” Sasuke blinked, scowl lifting in surprise to look up at his brother. Itachi only starred back, knowing Sasuke heard him. Normally he would send Sasuke home but since Kyoko was a classmate of his, it might help if she had someone along she knew…even if they apparently weren’t on the best terms.

“But…I…” Sasuke started, torn between leaving Kyoko and staying with his brother. His shoulders slumped. “I’ll come.” He decided reluctantly, hanging his head. Itachi nodded while Kyoko made a small noise of protest in the back of her throat but silenced it as they began moving.

They turned and walked through the streets, people stopping and parting for them as they saw the Namikaze heiress on the older Uchiha’s back. They started whispering, a few of the woman giggling before continuing on their way.

Sasuke ducked his head at the attention while Kyoko buried her face into Itachi’s shoulder.

It wasn’t long before they reached the Konoha hospital. Itachi walked through the front doors and straight towards the front desk, Kyoko peeking up from behind him as he conversed with the lady situated behind the desk, telling her of their situation. The woman was smiling brightly at Itachi before giving him a room number where a nurse would come to treat Kyoko shortly. Meanwhile she would call Kyoko’s guardian and have him come pick her up.

Itachi silently carried Kyoko down the halls, not bothering to dispatch her into a wheelchair, before coming to the right room. The room was like any other in the Konoha hospital, with a single bed and a grand window that overlooked the street below. Itachi sat the girl down onto the bed so she could sit up, the blond starring at the ground nervously while Sasuke stood next to Itachi.

A nurse entered the room after a few minutes, her head a mess of violet curls.

“Mo-san at the front desk informed me of your situation.” The woman said as she pushed her bangs from her face. “So lets see the damage.”

Kyoko raised her leg into the air, biting back a hiss between her teeth as pain flared up her leg from the simple action.

“Oh my, I see.” The nurse mumbled to herself before walking over and beginning to examine Kyoko. Kyoko glanced over at Itachi and Sasuke while the nurse prodded her leg and saw that Itachi’s eyes were unfocused, starring up at the ceiling as if he was starring past it.

Itachi starred at the ceiling tiles as the memories from his shadow clone zoomed through his head, flitting to the front of his mind. The Inuzuka clan were grateful that he had brought the dog to their attention and had assured him that the proper measures would be taken to ensure it didn’t hurt anyone else.

Specifically meaning it would be put down. Probably within the hour.

He blinked a couple of times, slowly coming back to himself. Kyoko was talking to the nurse who had finished with whatever healing jutsu she had used and was in the process of wrapping a white bandage around the child’s leg.

“-nd so I only reached my hand out to pet him, but he started growling at me. He knocked me over so I pushed him off and started to run.” Kyoko told, sad as she retold the nurse the incident. The nurse only nodded her head wisely, encouraging Kyoko to continue.

“He got my leg and I kicked him and rolled under a fruit stand. But then that’s when Sasuke and the other guy came.” She said before suddenly jabbing a finger in Uchiha’s direction. The nurse glanced at them before blinking in surprise as if suddenly realizing there were other people in the room.

“Oh my, you’re Uchiha Itachi aren’t you?” She asked warmly, a bright smile lighting her face. Itachi only nodded in confirmation as the nurse finished with the bandage. Sasuke shifted his weight, waiting to see if she would know his name.

She didn’t.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there. I was quite focused on Namikaze-san’s injury.” She apologized as she reached a hand into the pocket of her uniform and retrieved a needle. When bit by an unknown dog it was always necessary to receive a rabbis shot.

“What’s that?!” Kyoko yelped, suddenly on full alert as she shuffled away from the needle.

“What? Oh this? It’s just a rabbis shot. It won’t hurt.” The nurse soothed as she saw Kyoko’s frantic look. Kyoko however failed about, desperate to get away while the nurse starred, unsure of what to do.

“Kyoko! Stop that!” A voice snapped as the door opened and the blond immediately froze in place, one hand in mid air in an attempt to scramble away, feet in two separate directions. A look of fear and shock was etched on her face as she whipped her head to face the doorway.

She was in trouble!

The nurse took the distraction to inject the needle in the oblivious girl before turning her attention to the door.

“Uh yes! Sorry Hari-san!” Kyoko finally stammered as she came over her initial fear, going ram road straight. Hiroshi Hari was a stern looking 33-year-old male with a scar over his left eye, leaving it forever shut to the world. He sighed, his stern demeanour softening as he ran a hand through his brown locks.

“Sorry about her. I’m Hiroshi Hari, her guardian.” Hari introduced himself as he strode into the room. “I could hear her all the way down the hall and decided it was about time I take her home.”

Sasuke snickered at Kyoko’s distress.

“That’s quite alright, we’re done here.” The nurse agreed, wiping invisible dust off of her uniform. Itachi nodded in understanding before motioning for Sasuke to follow him, the tow leaving the room.

Kyoko’s face drooped as she watched Itachi leave.

~*~

Mikoto was humming softly to herself as she washed the dishes. Supper had just ended and she had shooed everyone away, leaving her to clean up.

“Are we going to train now Onii-chan?” Sasuke asked eagerly as he tagged after Itachi, their feet thudding softly against the wood floor. Itachi managed a small smile for Sasuke and nodded his head. He had no mission today or tomorrow so he would be able to train Sasuke, an event that was growing less and less available to him. Sasuke beamed and rushed up the stairs to his room in order to fetch his weapons while Itachi went to grab his own.

A knock at the door reached Mikoto, the woman blinking rapidly before the significance behind the knock sunk in and she wiped her hands off on a towel.

“Oh, it seems someone is at the door.” She spoke out as she walked to the front door. She opened the door and her eyebrows shot up in surprise as a small girl stood in front of her, cheeks tinged bright red in embarrassment and her hands fisted in the material of her pants.

“Hi I’m…Namikaze Kyoko…is um…Uchiha Itachi here?” She asked softly, ducking her now fully flushed face as her blond pigtails swung from the motion.

‘Awww, she’s so cute!’ Mikoto thought to herself as she smiled at the child. “Yes of course, come on in.” Mikoto instructed as she stepped out of the way and allowed the girl inside the house. Kyoko hesitantly inched inside the house, looking about nervously.

“Itachi, you have a visitor!” Mikoto called as she lightly closed the door behind Kyoko. In his room Itachi’s brow rose as his mother’s words reached him. Itachi never had visitors unless it was for business and if it was for business he was usually warned in advance.

Itachi walked out of his room, attaching his weapons pouch to his pants as Sasuke chose that moment to start descending the stairs, his mother’s words pulling at his curiosity as well. Sasuke moved to stand next to his brother as they faced their visitor.

Sasuke made a face, Kyoko sticking her tongue out at him before turning her attention to Itachi.

“Um…well I…” Kyoko started, looking flustered from all the attention that was suddenly bestowed on her. Any 8-year-old child would usually do the same, minus the few exceptions. She looked at Itachi, her cheeks turning red before her gaze shot to the ground. She suddenly bowed at the waist, the move so sudden it was surprising her spine didn’t give out.

“I wanted to thank you for before, and this is to repay you for your help.” She replied as she grabbed something from her pants pocket and held it out in his direction. Itachi looked slightly amused as he starred down at the envelope thrust towards him.

He grabbed it, Kyoko slowly peering up at him as Itachi opened the flap.

“It’s money!” Sasuke exclaimed astonished as he took the envelope from Itachi and leafed through all the ryu notes that were packed away in the envelope. His distaste for Kyoko lessened.

Itachi snatched the envelope back from Sasuke who pouted from the loss, and held it back out towards the blond who looked confused.

“I don’t need it.” Itachi said with an apologetic smile, motioning for her to take it back. Her brow knit together in confusion as she looked at his face to the envelope, to his face, before starring at the envelope once again.

“I…don’t understand.” She admitted as she hesitantly took the envelope back from him. “Hari-san always told me that when someone helps you out you have to repay them.”

“I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. If you really want to thank anyone you should thank Sasuke.” Itachi said as he placed a hand on Sasuke’s head, Sasuke’s cheeks flushing slightly at his brother’s recognition.

“He was the one who pointed out what was going on.” Itachi finished as blue eyes locked on Sasuke’s face.

Kyoko turned to Sasuke who watched her sceptically. Her eyes narrowed before she bowed and thanked him, the move so quick one would’ve missed it if they blinked.

“Well Kyoko, since you came all this way, why don’t you go play with the boys for awhile before I escort you back home?” Mikoto asked kindly as she placed a hand on Kyoko’s shoulder.

“What? We’re not playing, we’re training!” Sasuke protested, his hand absently falling on the weapons pouch clipped to his pants. “And it’s just us!” He continued to protest.

“Sasuke, be nice.” He mother scolded, Sasuke scowling. He didn’t want anyone else to come with him and his brother. It was supposed to be just the two of them. And especially not Kyoko.

She was always sticking her tongue out at him for no reason!

“I’m sure it’ll be ok.” Itachi spoke up, startling Sasuke.

“Onii-chan!” Sasuke declared, affronted that Itachi would betray him. Itachi didn’t pay Sasuke any mind as he stepped into his shoes, Mikoto smiling at Itachi as he motioned for the two children to follow after him before he exited the house. Sasuke glared at the blond before sprinting after his brother, Kyoko stumbling after them, slightly confused by the turn of events.

Mikoto poked her head out the door, watching them walk down the street. It would do Sasuke some good if he could make a friend outside of the family and it was absolutely adorable the obvious crush the girl had on Itachi! Maybe when she escorted the girl home she could have a talk with the girl’s guardian about play days.

~*~

Onyx eyes met with ocean blue once again.

“Is Itachi-san here?” Kyoko asked as her eyes travelled past Sasuke to look inside the house, her voice slightly muffled as a lollipop sat in her mouth.

“No, he’s gone on a mission.” Sasuke responded as he placed one hand on his hip. She had been coming over quite often, usually when Itachi was around, and then the three of them would always end up doing something. Sasuke more for the sake of hanging out with his brother and not wanting to give his brother’s entire attention away to that girl.

Though he found that the more he hung out with her the more he could start to stand her…slowly. She actually wasn’t that mean, she just stuck her tongue out at him a lot for some reason and always found the need to argue with him about stuff.

“Oh…I see.” She replied as her gaze fell to the ground, shoulders slumping.

“Why, did you want to do something?” Sasuke asked uninterestedly as he stepped out of the house, shutting the door behind him.

He wasn’t going to tell her that he was actually grateful someone had stopped by. Itachi went away on his mission and Fugaku had decided to accompany him, leaving Sasuke in the house alone with Mikoto for the weekend.

Now being alone with his mom was all well and fine but he also got bored after awhile. His mom had her own things to do as well.

“Well no not really. Hari-san was busy at home so I thought maybe we could play.” Kyoko admitted with a sigh, reaching a hand up and twirling the end of her lollipop absently.

“Yeah sure.” Sasuke complied surprising the blond. She looked clueless as Sasuke opened the door to his house again. “Mom, I’m going out to play with Kyoko!” He called into the building, a muffled ‘Ok’ being his answer before he closed the door once again.

“Huh?” The girl finally managed as Sasuke walked past her.

“We’re going to go play.” Sasuke replied, not bothering to even look back at her as he continued to make his way towards the exit of the Uchiha Compound. Kyoko only blinked rapidly in confusion before running to catch up to the raven haired boy.

She gave him a funny look before walking silently with him.

“So where are we going?”

“To the park.” Sasuke replied glancing at the blond from the corner of his eye.

“Oh.” She responded. Sasuke only made a small ‘hn’ in the back of his throat as he lead her through the streets, weaving through the crowds of people they came across. It wasn’t long before they reached the park, Kyoko allowing a grin on her face before sprinting towards the metal bars that were called a jungle gym in the middle of the huge sandbox.

She didn’t tell Sasuke, but she loved the park!

Without any hesitation, she began climbing it while Sasuke twitched, watching her speed ahead of him. There were three other kids in the park but they were keeping to themselves. One was a blond spiky haired boy by himself on a swing while the other two were girls who were intent on building some kind of sand fortress.

He recognized them from school but at the moment he didn’t pay enough attention to recall names.

“You idiot! Hold on!” Sasuke scolded, scowling as he began climbing the jungle gym after her. The bars were shaped in a semi circle but the jungle gym was quite large in itself, roughly eight feet in height. He was not one to be left behind and darn it if he was going to let a girl be the one to do it. She paused, turning to frown at him.

“Don’t be such a slowpoke!” She retorted, giving Sasuke enough time to catch up with her. He instead zoomed past her, climbing to the top and turning to give her a triumphant smirk.

“Ha! Beat you!” He taunted.

“Hey! That’s no fair! You cheated!” Kyoko whined as Sasuke only smirked down at her. The two continued with their afternoon, playing games and bickering when a) Kyoko got too excited and overdid something or b) Sasuke cheated or caught Kyoko off guard. They hadn’t even noticed that time had started to fly by, or that more kids had started to flock to the park.

Before they even realized it, they had ended up playing a game of freeze tag with a mass of five other kids, children bobbing between playground equipment and kicking up sand and grass. When the parents who had sat at the sidelines of the park began taking kids home Sasuke figured it was time for them to head home as well.

He would never admit to her that he had actually had fun with her that afternoon. That he was actually disappointed that they were heading back home where he would have no one to play with.

They began walking back through the streets, heading home before they had to split in opposite directions, the two coming to a pause.

“Well, see you later Sasuke!” Kyoko chirped cheerily, evidently having had just as much fun as Sasuke himself had. Sasuke nodded a smirk on his face before the two went their own separate ways, Kyoko twirling her lollipop as she went.

“I’m back.” He spoke calmly into the house as he carefully stepped out of his shoes, the sounds of his mom in his kitchen resounding through the house. Mikoto’s head poked out of the kitchen at the sound of his voice.

“Welcome back, did you have fun with your friend?” She asked, a motherly smile on her features as Sasuke continued on his way to the stairs. She asked that question every time Kyoko came over to play with him and Itachi. Sasuke always grumbled back ‘she’s not my friend’ while Itachi said ‘fine’.

“Hn? Yeah, it was fun.” Sasuke replied unconsciously, ascending the stairs, missing the way Mikoto’s smile grew.

~*~

Uzumaki Naruto fumbled as he scrambled up the chain link fence, his shirt tearing as it snagged at the top. He didn’t let it slow him down as he landed on the other side of the fence and sprinted down the alley.

Shouting and pounding footsteps were audible behind him, only encouraging the blond boy to speed up despite the aching in his legs. Nearly tripping over his own two feet, he rounded the corner sharply and broke onto the main street.

People glared at him as he ran past them, the crowds parting for him as if afraid to make contact with him. He was the demon child after all.

He finally dared to look over his shoulder and slowed to a jog when he saw that the gang chasing him was gone, most likely nervous about attacking him out right in public places like this.

In places where the Hokage could see them easily from the tower.

The Hokage…Naruto’s only true form of protection.

Naruto slowed though the adrenaline of the chase still pounded through his body, making his heart thud loudly against his ribcage. He had left the park after all the other kids had left but walking through Konoha alone wasn’t safe for him.

It never was.

He sniffled as he finally realized that the scrapes on his palms were stinging and he shuffled in the direction of his apartment building.

The one place where he could be alone and not be bothered by the villagers…

And the only place he truly did feel entirely alone.

~*~
Hunger by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 3: Hunger

~*~

Uzumaki Naruto groaned from his position on the ground, his stomach mimicking his groan with a monstrous growl. It was anxious for food seeing how he had not had food for two days.

He had run out at home and all the stores he walked into always chased him out before he got the chance to try and buy anything with the little allowance the Hokage was allowed to give him. Being the Hokage, Sarutobi couldn’t just hand out big stacks of money without causing concern. And his favourite ramen store did require money in order for him to receive his precious ramen. He was above it to steal from that store.

Naruto would’ve been very concerned for himself if he was not certain that he could go longer without any food at all and not die.

It did however leave him feeling completely drained, sick, and feeling utterly weak. So when a group of drunken villagers had found the need to smack him around a bit before leaving him in the middle of the forest, he didn’t feel the need to move from his fallen state on the ground.

He had managed to roll his battered body into some shelter, hiding under some healthy shrubs that populated the area.

His wounds would heal…they always did. They probably already were. They were nothing serious, just a split lip, sprained wrist, a bruised cheek, and a few more bruises and scratches on his legs and arms.

He’s had far worse.

His fingers twitched when he heard a twig in the distance snap, his ears perking up at the sound. His eyelids fluttered open, Naruto just seeing the underside of the shrub he was lying under at first before he turned his head to stare out at the opening beside him.

Voices in the distance floated to his ears, the voices floating ever closer, assuming the people were walking in his direction. Were they more villagers looking for him? He hoped not? He was hidden but he was sure if their goal was to find him, they could achieve it if they really tried.

‘Maybe if I played dead they’ll leave me alone.’

With that thought in mind, Naruto made his head flop to the side and let his limbs go limp as he flopped himself haphazardly, not realizing one arm jutted out awkwardly from beneath the protection of the large shrub.

The bushes nearby rustled before footsteps suggested the approaching people were now close by.

“I thought all those places were good! Stop being picky and pick one!” A female complained. She sounded no older then Naruto himself…if he ever had to guess.

“You can’t just ‘pick one’.” A male responded with a scoff. “The point of a hideout is that it’s supposed to be hidden.”

“Gah!” The female cried in frustration, their voices now considerably close. They were probably in the clearing beside Naruto.

“Besides, this was your idea.” The male pointed out with a clear ‘it’s your fault so stop complaining’ tone in his words.

Naruto’s brow furrowed unconsciously as he listened to the two talk. They sounded eerily familiar. Had he met them somewhere before?

“Here, how about here?” The female asked, probably pointing to a place randomly in the area.

“Nope.”

“Ngh! Sasuke!” She whined, the ground rumbling, making it evident that she had stomped her foot.

‘Wait…Sasuke? There’s a kid in my class named Sasuke.’

The two continued to argue, Naruto listening as the two moved about the area, the female who is still nameless, pointing out random places to only have them shot down by the Uchiha.

She then tripped over Naruto’s arm.

Naruto grunted and the female squeaked in surprise, scrambling off his arm as fast as humanly possible.

“Whose there?” Sasuke called out, Naruto deciding that he should resume his role as a dead corpse. Something prodded his arm before a hand grabbed his wrist and yanked him out from underneath the shrub, twigs and leaves stuck in his hair.

“Is he dead?” The female whispered, her voice small and far away.

“Kyoko, don’t be stupid.” Sasuke sighed, unknowingly identifying the female voice for Naruto. Naruto resisted the urge to open one eye and look at the two, but his lack of energy kept him playing his role.

Maybe they would leave him alone to die of starvation.

“I’m not stupid!” She argued indignantly, Naruto practically picturing her bristling at Sasuke’s remark.

“Besides, he could be dead.” She sniffed sassily, creeping closer to the two.

“No. Look at his chest.” Sasuke pointed out before Naruto felt a sharp tap on the center of his chest, the blond male resisting the urge to groan at the brief pain.

“So?”

“It’s going up and down. It means he’s breathing.” Sasuke clarified with a ‘no duh’ tone in his voice. Naruto barely opened his eyes, just looking up from beneath his eyelashes so he could glimpse at the two kids examining him.

Sasuke was crouched on his haunches next to the Uzumaki’s head while Kyoko was standing at the Uchiha’s shoulders. Naruto closed his eyes again, feeling too weak to move, protest, or even speak for that matter.

He just wanted food.

“Hey…he looks familiar…is he in our class?” Kyoko frowned as she surveyed the body closer. Sasuke just shrugged, not interested.

Kyoko snapped her fingers and pointed at the body in recognition.

“It’s Naruto! Someone’s killed Naruto!” She exclaimed.

“I already told you he’s not dead!” Sasuke snapped, swatting away her hand.

That was when he smelt it.

The girl was holding food in her one hand! Before he could even think about it his stomach let out a growl that echoed throughout the trees and when it was over, silence filled the area.

“What…the…” Kyoko started slowly, dumbfounded at the sound that had silenced her and Sasuke’s argument.

“He’s hungry stupid.” Sasuke sighed. Without paying it any thought, Sasuke stole the half eaten chocolate bar from Kyoko’s hand, an angry ‘hey!’ rising out of her as he unwrapped the rest of the bar and shoved it into Naruto’s mouth.

Naruto tensed as the food was shoved in his mouth, not prepared for the action.

His taste buds kicked in slowly and his hand rose, feebly knocking away the other hand as he grabbed the end of whatever he was eating and chewed. He swallowed and he almost cried tears of joy as the chocolate slid down his throat.

It tasted delicious!

His eyes shot open as his energy returned and he sat bolt right up, shoving the rest of the chocolate bar into his mouth so his cheeks puffed up, Kyoko squeaking in surprise at his sudden action. Naruto savoured the food, though it was hard to tell with the speed he was devouring it.

That was until he started choking.

His shoulders shook as he began coughing, hacking as a chunk of the chocolate lodged itself in his throat. A small fist slowly began pounding on his back, though if you ask any person with medical training they can tell you that it’s not helpful to do so.

“Thanks.” Naruto wheezed as he stopped coughing, looking up at Sasuke who still had a fist raised in the air. Naruto blinked as he took in the faces of the two in the clearing, now that he could properly see.

They really were Sasuke and Kyoko, two kids from class. Sasuke looked expressionless and Kyoko looked concerned.

“Hn.” Sasuke nodded as he retracted his fist, standing up, Kyoko replacing Sasuke’s place by Naruto’s head.

“Wow, you must’ve been hungry.” Kyoko observed as she sat on her butt, watching Naruto as he swallowed the last of the chocolate bar.

“Um…well yeah…” Naruto replied hesitantly now that he was actually talking to them. They weren’t starring at him with those hated looks that those villagers always gave him. They weren’t pushing him over or calling him names, they were just…talking to him.

They never did that. In class they never really acknowledged him unless he got in trouble with the teacher.

Even when Sasuke had hit him, it was to get him to stop choking. These kids were being nice to him and he…didn’t know how to respond.

“Are you still hungry? My house isn’t far from here.” Kyoko continued pointing in the direction her house was. Naruto starred as Kyoko hoped up to her feet, Sasuke scowling.

“I thought you wanted to find a hide out.” Sasuke reminded.

“Well you took away my snack so I’m still hungry.” Kyoko complained, glaring at the Uchiha. Naruto just starred at her hand a look of befuddlement on his features. Kyoko flicked her wrist impatiently and Naruto hesitantly grasped her hand, Kyoko yanking him to his feet.

“Besides, Naruto’s hungry too.” She continued, turning back to face the Uchiha while absently picking the twigs and leaves out of Naruto’s hair. Sasuke continued to scowl at her and she switched tactics.

“Fine, you can go find a hide out but we’re going to get some food.” She sniffed, crossing her arms over her chest defiantly. “Come on Naruto, let’s go.” She commanded as she turned on her heel and marched in the direction of her house.

Sasuke sighed grudgingly in defeat as he saw that she wouldn’t let this go. Without a word he followed after the two blond children.

~*~

“This is your house?” Naruto yelped as he came in front of the Namikaze estate, Kyoko already at the door of the building with Sasuke grudgingly trailing behind her. The house was huge and elegant, a stone pathway leading to the double doors that had an intricate design carved into the wood.

Kyoko paused, looking back at the awed Uzumaki.

“Yup!” She grinned.

“Don’t just stand there with your mouth open, you look like a moron.” Sasuke called over to him, Naruto swiftly coming out of his reverie to glare at the raven haired boy.

Naruto quickly followed the two into the house, Kyoko closing the door behind him as they all stepped out of their shoes and left them by the door.

“Hello? Hari-san?” Kyoko called out into the house as they walked through the halls, both boys looking about, onyx eyes in mild interest, blue eyes in barely concealed delight.

A picture of the Yondaime and his wife was placed proudly on the wall, surrounded by other pictures of the two mentioned people. Even though they were dead, they still lived on in the house.

A tapestry with the Konoha symbol hung on one wall, another one with the Namikaze clan symbol hanging next to it.

Sasuke himself had only been to Kyoko’s house three times in the three weeks they recently started playing together, so he was still unfamiliar to everything.

“Hmm, he must’ve gone out.” Kyoko frowned, a hand on her hip before shrugging. “Oh well! The kitchen’s this way!” She declared, turning sharply to the right, practically prancing through two more halls, and finally into the kitchen.

It was like a normal kitchen albeit, it was larger in concerns of space. Kyoko headed straight towards the fridge, pulling it open with a mighty swing. After a long discussion over what the other wanted and what exactly everything was in the fridge and whether everything was edible or not, they closed the fridge again with armfuls of food.

Without being able to wait, and having not been raised with manners, Naruto sat himself down on the kitchen floor instead of walking into the dining room to eat at the table, and began munching away.

Kyoko and Sasuke blinked, starring at him before Kyoko smiled. She apparently liked this new idea of sitting wherever you wanted, and sat down where she stood, eating away at her own armful of food that she graciously set on the floor in front of her.

“You guys shouldn’t be eating on the floor.” Sasuke murmured, ever grumpily. Kyoko only showed she heard him by patting the floor next to her, motioning for him to sit down as well. She reached for a packet of pudding, reaching for one of the few spoons they had actually thought about grabbing.

Sasuke however, scoffed, making her look up at him with a scowl, spoon halfway to her mouth, while Naruto continued to eat, now no longer on the brink of starving and just eating for the hell of it.

“Sasuke, just sit an—“ She started, flicking her wrist impatiently at him, her pudding covered spoon accidentally releasing a huge glob of pudding in his direction. The glob landed on Sasuke’s white shorts and Kyoko’s eyes widened, Sasuke’s following a millisecond later before narrowing into slits.

“Oh no! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to AAAHHH!” Kyoko gasped in shock as her pudding suddenly disappeared from her hand and ended up on her head, the pudding running down her face as Sasuke smirked triumphantly.

Naruto watched now in amusement as Kyoko’s face turned red in anger.

“SASUKE!” She yelled as she grabbed the closest food next to her and hurled it at him. He danced out of the way, the two continuing their food fight around the room until Sasuke lost his footing by stepping on a misplaced pastry.

In order to regain his footing, Sasuke crashed his hands on Naruto’s head, the force smashing the Uzumaki’s face into the piece of cake he had been inches away from devouring. Everyone tensed before Naruto slowly raised his icing covered face.

Taking what remained of the cake in his hand, he whipped around and shoved it in Sasuke’s face, the Uchiha caught off guard and stumbling backwards. The food was then no longer eaten as it became weapons, the fight turning into an all out brawl.

Pastries flew through the air, pudding splashing on pants and shirts, juice boxes squirting in faces and over heads. When the juice was gone, the empty boxes were thrown as weapons. The food was then forgotten as the three tussled and fought, tugging and fishooking. They were much like a group of lion cubs.

“Ow, that one hurt!”

“Watch it!”

“You ripped my shirt!”

“Gah!”

“Oof!”

“Meanies!”

“You stepped on me!”

It was then that laughter bubbled up, breaking through the fighting, the three pausing in mid brawl.

It was Naruto who started it but soon the other two were laughing as well, falling down onto the ground from exhaustion. The three were caked in food from their battle, the remnants of the meals in their hair and splashed across their clothes. When the laughter stopped, they were all smiling playfully, Naruto’s grin the biggest out of the three.

He couldn’t remember the last time he had had this much fun. Kids had never let him play with them before. He had always been alone, watching the others laugh and play like he was doing just now. For now, while he was with these two, he could forget about all those angry villagers who sneered down at him, grimacing if someone mentioned his name.

Kyoko was the first to stand up, her hair looking lopsided since one pigtail got pulled out of its elastic in their fight.

“What do we do now?” She asked as she took a step before slipping on a piece of food, causing the two boys to laugh. She joined them for a second before standing once again.

“I think we need to get cleaned up right now.” Sasuke commented, rising to his feet as well. “There should be a stream not far from here.” He continued, his 8-year-old mind not considering the fact that there was a bathroom in the house.

Sasuke’s black shirt had big stains of white, yellow and brown splattered across it, his white shorts looking no better. Naruto’s white t-shirt and blue shorts looked unrecognizable and were slipping off his frame. Kyoko’s teal tank top was ripped slightly at the bottom, minus the food splattering it, and her black pants had one pant leg farther then the other, her pants lopsided at the waist due to the pulling.

Naruto suddenly felt unsure whether he was invited along or not. The feeling of loneliness clawed away at the edges of him as he slowly stood up, his smile dwindling slightly. As if somehow sensing his silent need for confirmation, Kyoko turned to him.

“You’re coming right?” She asked, raking a hand through her food caked hair. She made a face as her hand came back sticky from the pudding and juice someone had so graciously bestowed on her head.

Naruto didn’t even think.

“Of course!”

~*~

A bag of groceries fell to the ground as a lone green eye starred in terror at the scene in front of him. Hari gaped at the disaster of a kitchen, the splashes of color a whirlwind of food that had at one point, been edible.

His mouth opened and closed several times as he slowly stepped into the kitchen, the bag of groceries forgotten on the floor. Food was smeared into the ground in chunks, mirrored on the cupboards and the fridge.

His eye swivelled to survey the ground and focused on a pudding cup that made his teeth clench together.

“Kyoko.” He growled softly to himself as he picked up the empty, smashed plastic container. Kyoko was the only one who knew where he kept this pudding in the house. His temper exploded, demanding him to run around the whole village to find her.

Oh, she was going to pay! She was going to clean every inch of this kitchen!

His shoulders shook in suppressed rage as a vein in his forehead pulsed rhythmically. Crushing the already smashed pudding cup in his hand, he inwardly tried to calm himself, remembering that he had some groceries he had to put away.

Inhaling and exhaling several times, he finally reigned in his temper. Turning, he picked the bag of groceries off the floor and walked towards the fridge. Opening it, his mouth fell slack once again.

All the foods were pushed around or tipped over, and several things were missing, most likely the smears on the floor. It looked like he had just fed an army!

His temper flared as his grip tightened on the groceries in his hands.

The whole house shook as his voice echoed through the air.

“KYOKO!”

~*~
Puppy? by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: I thought I would just let you know that yes, there will be romance. It just won’t be right away, since they are kids at the moment.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 4: Puppy?

~*~

“Awww! It’s so cute!” Misora gushed as she knelt down on the ground at the back of the classroom. Multiple other girls gushed and cooed, Kiba barely distinguishable among the various females while the males in the circle just watched the thing in interest.

All one could see was his mop of messy brown hair between the gaps of people.

“Can I pet it?” One girl asked, bent over so she could be closer to Kiba who was sitting on his butt.

“Sure!” He nodded with a smirk before shifting his hold on the thing in his arms. The white and brown puppy turned its head in the girl’s direction as she began petting his head, before he licked her hand and she giggled euphorically.

“What’s his name?” Misora asked, reaching out and petting the puppy as well, scratching behind his floppy ears. He was just barely old enough to be away from his mother, making him tiny and fluffy…down right adorable!

“Akamaru! He’s my partner. My Okaa-san just gave him to me yesterday.” Kiba proclaimed proudly. In the Inuzuka clan, one always had a canine partner when they were old enough to begin training to become a ninja. It was their fighting style.

“How big is he going to get?”

Naruto was crouched down on his haunches, a couple inches from the dog with his head cocked to the side, blue eyes watching the canine with genuine curiosity. A few people reeled back in surprise at how close the Uzumaki had gotten without anyone noticing.

“Uh…” Kiba started, startled himself at the sudden appearance of the Uzumaki, the class idiot. Some kids were backing away from him, obeying the warnings their parents had given them to stay away from the blond male. Kiba however decided that it wouldn’t hurt to talk to the kid…especially if it was about his cool new dog!

“I’m not sure yet. My Okaa-san didn’t tell me.” Kiba started with a frown as he starred down at Akamaru, petting the puppy himself. “But he’ll probably be really big!” Kiba reassured with a huge fanged grin as he set Akamaru down.

Everyone started asking questions again, more people coming over now, Kiba’s ego growing as he and Akamaru became the main interest.

A few girls near the back looked up as the classroom door opened and Kyoko, Haruno Sakura, and Yamanaka Ino walked into the room together, chatting away to each other.

“It’s so exciting! It’s coming next week and it’s so fun! I went last year. Kyoko are you going?” Ino asked excitedly, rounding on her slightly taller friend. They were talking about the festival that was coming next week.

“Um I’m not sure. I would have to ask Hari-san.” Kyoko confessed, popping the lollipop out of her mouth. “What do you do?” She continued, looking to the Haruno for help.

“It’s so fun! You play a bunch of different games and you can win stuffed animals. I got a cat last time I was there! It was so big I couldn’t carry it! You can also get candy!” Sakura gushed, listing off the list of things you could do at the festival off on her hand.

“And you get to dress up in a kimono!” Ino added in happily, thrusting a hand out to cut off Sakura’s rambling, the pinkette barely noticing.

“It sounds fun!” Kyoko agreed, eyes lighting up.

“It is! So you so have to go!” Ino pleaded, the three girls still oblivious to the scene taking place in the classroom.

“I’ll…I’ll try!” Kyoko nodded in determination. Her two female friends smiled, nodding.

“You guys! Come see this!” Misora called over to the three females, effectively cutting into the conversation. Their heads perked up, swivelling to look at the crowd.

“What is it?” Ino asked curiously as she jogged towards the huge circle that the class had made, previous conversation forgotten. Sakura followed after her and Kyoko came after the pinkette slowly. The crowd parted to let the three newcomers see the attraction.

“Kiba got a puppy!” Misora squealed, Ino and Sakura mirroring the noise as they instantly crouched down to stroke Akamaru’s fur.

Everyone turned to look in confusion as Kyoko jumped backwards with a yelp at the sight of the dog, effectively ploughing into four people. They all staggered on their feet, Kyoko scrambling for balance before grabbing a random person and pulling them in front of her as a human shield, effectively distancing her between Akamaru.

The unlucky person was Nara Shikamaru, the lazy brunette looking disgruntled at being a human shield.

“How troublesome…” He grumbled under his breath as Kyoko’s fingernails dug into the flesh of his arm. He was just a simple observer. Why did he have the bad luck of being pulled into this?

“Uh Kyoko…are you ok?” Sakura asked, brows knitting together. Her jade eyes flickered between the Namikaze and Akamaru before her eyes lit up in realization. The pinkette grabbed Akamaru off the ground earning a sharp ‘hey!’ from Kiba, and stood to face the blond heiress.

Sakura held Akamaru out towards Kyoko.

She yelped and shoved Shikamaru towards the animal before she ran into the crowd, hiding behind someone else for shelter…someone who was farther away from the animal. Shikamaru didn’t bother to try and regain his balance and just smacked into the ground below with a muffled groan, Sakura sidestepping the falling Nara easily.

Naruto laughed at Shikamaru’s fallen form.

No one noticed when Iruka opened the classroom door. The Chuunin paused in the doorway, blinking before stopping to watch the scene unfolding in front of him curiously.

It wasn’t often his whole class was doing something together.

“Kyoko, are you…scared of dogs?” Sakura asked slowly in amusement, her face alight with the emotion as she cradled Akamaru back towards her body for a better grip on the puppy. Akamaru seemed to yip at her question.

“How can you be afraid of dogs?” Ino asked into the crowd in the direction Kyoko had disappeared into to find her next human shield. “Their so cute!”

At this a few people started chuckling at the idea of being afraid of a dog. Sakura included.

“You’re scared of dogs?” Someone called out towards Kyoko.

“How can you be scared of dogs?” Another voice giggled. Although it was all good-naturedly, Kyoko’s face went red in humiliation.

“Sakura…” Sasuke’s voice warned, people parting and revealing who Kyoko had picked for her next human shield. Uchiha Sasuke. He looked annoyed at having the Namikaze heiress huddled behind him, and was showing this by trying to push her away with one arm. “Stop laughing.”

Everyone’s laughter died abruptly, the Haruno especially. Her skin looked ash white at the fact that she had made Sasuke upset.

It was at this point that Kiba stood up and hesitantly took Akamaru back from Sakura, Akamaru nuzzling back into his partner’s familiar warmth.

Iruka decided that now would be a good time to make his presence known. Iruka closed the classroom door with a resounding thud, everyone flinching before turning to look at the source of the noise.

“Ok class, let’s get started!” Iruka called as he waltzed to his desk at the front of the room, showing no sign that he had seen the scene that had transpired. Kiba placed Akamaru in the front of his shirt, Akamaru’s head poking out the front, before everyone followed orders and took their seats.

‘I should let Kyoko’s guardian know about her fear. It would be inconvenient for a ninja to have a fear of something so common that could it compromise a mission. Especially if Kiba’s going to be in her class for another three years still.’ Iruka thought to himself as he began teaching class.

~*~

“Hari-san?” Kyoko asked as she saw the older man slipping on his shoes. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to head out for a little while.” Hari explained as he straightened up.

“Where?” Kyoko asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Just out. I got a letter from your sensei today at the Academy and I realized I needed to buy something, so I’ll have a present for you when I get back.” Hari answered, just having to throw in that last sentence for her reaction.

Kyoko gasped, her face lighting up.

“Really?! What is it? What is it?” She asked excitedly. Hari only shrugged for effect and walked out the door, Kyoko whining at him as he closed the door behind him.

She had to find entertainment for two hours, seeing how Hari was gone. She had already finished all her homework earlier, and there was nothing good on TV. Bored, Kyoko decided to explore her house. It was rather big after all.

She didn’t pay attention to the hallways, having walked through them dozens of times everyday. She knew her room like the back of her hand, so there was no use exploring that place.

“To the kitchen!” She declared to herself as she marched towards the kitchen. There was nothing there unusual…she was just hungry. Clambering on top of a counter, she opened one of the cupboards and pulled out a box of cookies.

She opened the box and pulled out a cookie before replacing the box inside the cupboard.

She jumped down effortlessly, taking a bite out of her cookie as she continued her journey. She crept into Hari’s room…a place she had only ever been in twice…during which she was really sick during the night and needed to let Hari know, but he was sleeping and she had to wake him up.

She clambered inside the room, continuing to take another bite out of her cookie as she surveyed the tidy room. Maps covered the walls, random pins and marks here and there. Everything was neat and in its place, Hari’s bed made and his clothes actually in his dresser drawers instead of spilling out of them.

A contrast to her room.

She walked to the dresser, opening each drawer and scowling to herself as she revealed that everything inside was in fact clothes, and nothing exciting. Unless she decided to actually place her hand underneath the clothing, then she would’ve found a bundle of kunais.

But she didn’t.

She closed the drawers and looked up as something on top of the dresser caught her eye. A picture frame was sitting upright all by itself. Curious like every child was Kyoko picked it off its place on the dresser.

A Hari looking no younger then 12-years-old was grinning up at her, an older woman and man interlocking arms behind him while a boy looking a couple years older then Hari was giving Hari moose antlers while sticking his tongue out at the camera.

Kyoko cocked her head to the side before taking the picture with her. Seeing nothing of any interest in the room, she left and continued on her way.

She flung open the other door and grumbled in complaint as it turned out to be a closet, towels and other cleaning utensils stacked to the brim. She shut it with a huff and opened the other door.

Bathroom. No real need to search that room. She closed the door and wandered around a few more halls, searching for any places that she hadn’t been in before. She finished her cookie, licking the crumbs off her fingers before she paused as she passed a closed door.

She had passed the door all the time, but she actually had no clue what was inside. Opening the door, Kyoko blinked in surprise at the sight before her.

It was the master bedroom. The queen sized bed had the covers thrown back, as if someone had just woken up in a hurry, and a pair of pants were lying at the end of the bed haphazardly.

Kyoko hadn’t even realized she had walked inside the room until she had touched the pair of navy blue pants. She didn’t know why but she couldn’t breath. She gulped as she looked around the room, inhaling the slightly unique smell this room had compared to the rest of the house.

Some of the drawers of the dresser were pulled out slightly, as if someone had been rummaging through them quickly, in a rush.

That’s when she saw the cloack hung on the corner of the full length mirror. The white cape with red flames licking the bottom of it.

“…Otou-san…” She croaked softly as she sunk down onto the end of the bed. She starred, transfixed, at the garment, before slowly looking around. Sitting on the bedside table was one of the many pictures they had framed downstairs, of her mom and her dad.

“Okaa-san…” She gurgled as she saw the red haired woman smiling back up at her from beside Minato. Loneliness began to seep inside her as she was struck on all sides of reminders of her parents.

That was when Hari returned.

“Kyoko?” He called out, the sound of the front door closing faintly reaching her ears. There was some rustling as Hari set something down, a few things by the sounds of it.

“I’m over here!” She called out, without turning her head, unwilling to move. She wanted to stay with the memory of her parents for just a little longer. Footsteps echoed throughout the hall before Hari’s frame took up the space of the doorway.

“What are you doing in here?” He asked softly, remembering exactly what room they were standing in. During the whole time he had lived here to raise Kyoko, he didn’t feel he had the right to touch Minato’s, or Kushina’s stuff.

He had left it exactly how he found it…how they had left it.

“I was exploring. I’ve never been in this room before…” She explained, her tone hinting on sadness. She suddenly shifted, drawing her knees up to her chest and resting her forehead against them.

“Is it weird to miss them if you’ve never met them?” She questioned, her voice so quiet it could barely be heard. Hari inwardly panicked. He couldn’t handle crying. He was a man of discipline and strictness, not emotional sappiness.

“No. It’s not weird.” He replied, his voice sounding gruff, making him wince. Kyoko’s head bobbed, showing she heard him. Silence filled the room as Hari stood in the doorway awkwardly, unsure what to do.

“Here. I brought that present. Remember?”

Her head raised and Hari would’ve sighed in relief, if he was that kind of person, when he saw that there were no tears.

She smiled slightly and got off the bed, before blinking as she remembered the picture frame still held in her hand.

“Oh yeah. Sorry. It was interesting.” She apologized as she handed the picture over to her guardian. He took it and frowned.

“You were in my room?”

“Uh…well…only a little…” She admitted nervously as Hari scowled.

“So who are they?” She asked meekly, twirling one of her pigtails.

“My family…” Hari started, sighing. “They died when the Kyuubi attacked. This picture was taken earlier though, when I first graduated from the Academy.”

“Oh.”

“Anyways, Kyoko I told you not to go in my room. I have weapon s and other things you can hurt yourself on stashed in there.” He scolded as the two walked out of the room, closing the door behind them, ignoring their previous topic.

“You do not!” She cried. “I didn’t see anything!”

“Then you aren’t trained well enough yet.”

“Hey!” She cried out indignantly.

The two got to the living room where Hari had left the present. As soon as the two entered the room, Kyoko froze. The black pups pointed ears perked up at the newcomers and he barked, tail wagging happily.

Kyoko vaulted backwards in shock, Hari bringing a hand out to steady her so she didn’t fall over.

“Wh-wh-what is that doing here?” She stammered as she instantly hid behind Hari, eyeing the playful puppy uneasily.

“It’s your present.”

“WHAT?! Why?” She yelped, squeaking. The puppy barked again at the loud noise and Kyoko jumped a foot.

“Because your sensei told me about your fear of dogs.” Hari started as he detangled himself from Kyoko’s grasp and walked into the room, picking up the tiny puppy. “He said a boy named Kiba brought in his dog to class today and you couldn’t be near him. This is going to be a very bad fear for you to have Kyoko if you want to be a ninja.”

“Why? How is it bad? Everyone’s scared of something!” She protested, flailing her arms to make her point.

“I didn’t say everyone isn’t scared of something. It’s just dogs are everywhere, and if you go out on a mission and there happens to be a dog, would you want your mission to fail because you couldn’t handle being around the dog? Or what if you happen to get placed on the same team as this Kiba boy?” Hari explained as he scratched the puppies’ head, the dog leaning into the touch.

Kyoko whined in the back of her throat, not knowing what to say, but knowing she didn’t want the dog there.

“I’m not saying you have to get over your fear completely. You just have to live with it.” Hari elaborated.

“But I don’t want a dog!” She cried out, stomping her feet much like a child throwing a tantrum.

“It isn’t up for debate Kyoko. Fuji is staying.” Hari stated firmly. Kyoko continued to whine and throw a fit until Hari placed Fuji down again. The puppy, completely oblivious to Kyoko’s fear of him, ran to see the other newcomer.

He succeeded in making her sprint to her room, and not come out for the rest of the night.

~*~

“Ok, so what’s the big problem that you needed our help with?” Sasuke asked with a frown.

“Are you being target by some rogue ninja?” Naruto asked excitedly, blue eyes alight with imagination. Sasuke hit him, Naruto glaring at him. At the moment the three kids were standing outside of Kyoko’s front door, Kyoko having insisted that they come over after the Academy was over to help her with an emergency.

“No.” Kyoko reassured, waving her hand at the Uzumaki. She shifted the lollipop in her mouth as she cast an uneasy look at the door at her back. “I just need your help.”

Sasuke starred at her bluntly. “What’s wrong?”

Kyoko opened her mouth to say something but barking suddenly erupted from inside the house, Kyoko squawking in surprise and jumping behind Naruto for protection. Naruto blinked owlishly in confusion while Sasuke cocked his head slightly before walking forward and opening the door, Kyoko crying out in protest.

Fuji came bounding out like a bullet, having been able to hear their voices from inside the house. He was barking as he bounced around the Uchiha’s feet, tail wagging a mile a minute.

“You got a puppy?!” Naruto asked excitedly, getting away from Kyoko gently as he walked towards the dog who now took noticed of him and was bounced around Naruto’s feet as well, jumping up at the blond male.

Naruto laughed as he petted the dog who licked him like he was a long lost friend.

“Someone has to take him! Please! Do you want a dog?” She begged, the two males pausing to look back at her.

“But…this is your dog…” Naruto pointed out stupidly.

“Dobe, Kyoko’s afraid of dogs.” Sasuke reminded, rolling his eyes.

“Oh yeah.” Naruto replied. “Wait…then why do you have a dog?”

“I don’t know! Hari-san bought it! He said it was supposed to help me get over my fear!” Kyoko ranted animatedly while Naruto rubbed Fuji’s stomach.

“ KYOKO!” Hari’s voice rang through the house, Kyoko flinching as the two male’s snapped their heads up. They didn’t know Hari was home.

He sounded angry.

“Are you trying to get rid of Fuji again?” He questioned, the mentioned dog perking up at his name before running back inside the house. No one knew how but apparently Fuji had picked up that Hari had complete authority in the house. So when Hari said Fuji’s name, he came running like fire was at his heels.

Kyoko had earlier tried to pawn Fuji off on any passer-by, Hari scolding her and making her do chores. He was getting quite fed up with her antics.

“N-N-No.” Kyoko lied, stammering as the Naruto and Sasuke looked at each other before deciding that it might be time to head home. They had never actually met Hari before…well Sasuke once or twice briefly, but from his voice they didn’t want to end up on his bad side.

Not if they wanted to die.

“Uh gotta go. See ya Kyoko.” Naruto said as he bid farewell, running before he could get in trouble. Sasuke grunted before leaving the Namikaze grounds as well.

“Hey! You traitors!” She yelled at their retreating backs.

~*~
Festival by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok in case there are any people reading my story who are paying extra close attention and are wondering why Kyoko is afraid of dogs in the last chapter but it was because she wanted to pet a dog that she ended up meeting Itachi, so what’s with that kind of thing.

Well it’s because after she got attacked by the big dog, she got afraid of dogs after that. Just so your not confused.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 5: Festival

~*~

Sakura, Ino and Kyoko were all outside talking to each other, none of them in a rush to head home, while other students from the Academy passed them. Classes were done for the day and everyone was heading their own way.

Kyoko didn’t want to go home to face her dog or the amount of chores she would have to do after trying to sell him to an elderly lady who had actually almost accepted this morning. Hari had however came at the last second, apologized to the woman, and gave Kyoko a heap load of chores as punishment.

Ino suddenly blinked before grinning and pushing Kyoko’s head out of the way while nudging Sakura with her other hand. A certain desired Uchiha boy was walking by.

“Hi Sasuke-kun!” They called out as the raven haired Uchiha bobbed past them. Sasuke’s eyes flicked towards them, Sasuke glancing at the source of the greeting before giving a grunt in response. He saw Kyoko swat Ino’s hand away and he paused before switching courses and began walking towards the three.

Ino and Sakura gave almost inaudible squeals as they straightened, but otherwise gave no outward sign that his presence affected them.

Kyoko took her lollipop out and stuck her tongue out cheerfully at the Uchiha who scowled in response. She smiled at the reaction. It had started back when the Academy had just started and all the girls in class had been whispering about how great Sasuke was. Kyoko hadn’t seen anything so special so when Sasuke just happened to catch her eye, she stuck her tongue out at him.

He looked so confused and clueless she almost peed herself laughing. Ever since that day she found it hilarious to stick her tongue out at him. She used to do it to be mean, now she just did it cause it was fun.

“What is it?” She asked as she stuck her lollipop back in her mouth, Sakura openly gaping at the casual tone Kyoko was taking.

“The idiot’s disappeared. I can’t find him. I’ve already checked everywhere around here.” Sasuke explained, Kyoko blinking as her demeanour softened.

“Naruto’s gone?” She asked, placing a hand on her hip. Sasuke nodded and Kyoko frowned. They had been hanging out with the Uzumaki for five weeks now and they had gotten quite used to him.

“I’ll help look for him.” She offered, Sasuke nodding. “See you later guys!” She called to the two frozen girls who scrambled to say good-bye to the two before the Namikaze and the Uchiha departed.

~*~

“Where the hell is that dobe?” Sasuke growled to himself as he poked his head quickly into the opening of another alleyway before quickly retracting it. They had been looking for a long while now and were having no luck.

They had scoured close to the whole village, weaving and bobbing through crowds of people and looking through multiple alleys and dead ends.

“The park maybe?” Kyoko suggested, starting to grow irritated that they couldn’t find the blond. Sasuke grunted as the two took off towards the park. When they arrived they saw, to their disappointment, that the park was empty.

Kyoko huffed angrily.

“GET BACK HERE! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU JUST DID?!”

The two perked up as an angry voice bellowed, the sound echoing through the air.

“Nyahahaha!” A voice laughed obnoxiously before a blur of colour zoomed past them. The blur was followed by an angry looking, rotund woman who was brandishing a wooden spoon rather threateningly. Kyoko and Sasuke watched the blur disappear from sight for a minute before Sasuke’s eyes narrowed, teeth gritting together in annoyance.

“Come on.” Sasuke ordered Kyoko before sprinting after the blur.

“Huh?” She replied as she took off after him, just a few steps behind him.

“That was Naruto.” Sasuke seethed. After all this time, they had finally found him. Kyoko’s head snapped up as the two kids picked up speed. They caught up to one of the two people they were chasing.

“Where did that brat go?!” The fat woman asked loudly, the spoon she brandished flailing in the air as she looked around. Her face was red with anger and sweat and her red hair was falling out of its bun.

Kyoko and Sasuke looked around and being students from the Academy, almost slapped themselves when they saw the poorly placed sheet that blended into the background.

Well…poorly to the trained eye.

The woman huffed angrily before stomping away in a fit. Sasuke almost fell over. Honestly, how stupid was she?

“Naruto! What are you doing?” Kyoko hissed as she walked over to the fence looking sheet and ripped it away to come face to face with surprised blue eyes. The eyes suddenly disappeared into slits as he grinned.

“Hi Kyoko.” He greeted enthusiastically. Sasuke hit him over top the head and Naruto yelped.

“What was that for?” Naruto cried as he held his head, glaring at the slightly taller boy. Sasuke was always hitting him! It was mean!

“We were looking for you ever since the Academy let out.” Kyoko answered haughtily, arms crossed over her chest. Irritation must’ve shown on both of them because Naruto’s face faltered for a second.

“Oh…sorry about that.” He apologized. He still wasn’t used to actually having friends so he didn’t know that it worried people when he just randomly disappeared out of the blue.

“What did you do to that woman?” Sasuke asked, Naruto’s smile returning ten fold.

“I painted her prize winning cat green.” He admitted triumphantly.

“Why would you do that?” Kyoko asked, eyebrows shooting up into her bangs. They sounded like parents interrogating their misbehaving child.

“She’s one of my neighbours and she’s always being mean to me. All she cares about is that stupid cat and it drives me up the wall!” Naruto explained, grin still in place. He threw his head back and laughed loudly.

“The look on her face was priceless!” He laughed as he doubled over, hands holding his stomach as he remembered the horrified look on the woman’s face. Kyoko slapped her forehead as Sasuke muttered something under his breath.

The two continued to scold the boy before Naruto decided that he got bored of listening to them and invited them over to his apartment to play. It didn’t even occur to the two kids that they hadn’t told their parents that they weren’t returning straight home from school that day either.

~*~

“I’m home!” Kyoko called out as she shut the front door behind her, slipping off her shoes as she walked into the Namikaze estate. Barking ensued and Kyoko paled as she remembered Fuji. He rounded the corner and she bolted into the kitchen with Fuji hot on her heels.

Luckily Hari was there.

“Fuji sit.” He commanded with that stern voice he always seemed to held. The dog froze instantly in his pursuit and seated himself on the floor, tail wagging. Without looking, Hari took a piece of meat he had been cutting for tonight’s dinner and threw it towards the puppy who ate it happily before walking out of the room, content with itself.

“Where were you?” He asked, turning to look at the breathless blond.

The sun was beginning to set, orange and yellow light seeping in through all the windows of the house. Kyoko was never home this late on a school day. At least, never without telling him before hand.

“I was helping Sasuke look for Naruto, and then we played at Naruto’s place.” Kyoko explained nervously, watching Hari’s every move. Hari’s face turned calculating before his face turned to one of frightened realization.

“Naruto? Uzumaki Naruto?” Hari asked, his body going tense.

Kyoko eyes the knife in his hand uneasily at the tone in his voice. He wouldn’t get violent would he?

“Yeah…my friend.” Kyoko clarified in confusion as Hari’s teeth grit together. He put the knife down and strode forward, grabbing Kyoko’s shoulders and making her look at him, her blue eyes widening in surprise.

What was going on?

“Listen to me Kyoko.” Hari started, his voice lowering sharply. The edge in it made the hair on the back of her neck rise. “Don’t hang out with that Naruto kid. He’s a dangerous kid and I don’t want you around him.” Hari warned, his grip tightening on her shoulders.

She opened her mouth to say something…anything…to protest, but she couldn’t make a sound. Not under Hari’s intense gaze. Something about the way he was acting was…scary. Different.

He was serious. Really serious.

She managed a strangled noise and Hari let his hands fall from her shoulders. By law he wasn’t allowed to tell her the truth about Naruto. The hideous, despicable truth. Yet every time Hari saw that boy in the streets he couldn’t help the growl that escaped him.

It was because of that boy that Hari’s family was gone. That so many ninjas had lost their lives. Hari held a burning hatred towards the Uzumaki that flared whenever he saw him.

In Naruto’s eyes, Hari was one of the many villagers who made his life a nightmare.

“Now help me with supper.” He instructed, Kyoko nodding meekly before following him to the counter.

~*~

“Sasuke, you’re late.” Fugaku said as Sasuke walked through the dinning room doorway.

“Yes, sorry Otou-san.” Sasuke apologized as he gave a curt bow towards his family who were already situated at the table, eating supper.

“We were starting to get worried dear. Where were you?” Mikoto asked, concern lacing her voice as Sasuke sat down at his seat at the table, some food placed for him as if they were expecting his return.

“I was just with my friends.” Sasuke answered aloofly as he began eating. Mikoto frowned as she watched her youngest son continue to eat. Since making his friends he was hanging around the house less and becoming a little…detached.

Not as noticeable as Itachi was though.

“Itachi, how was your day?” Mikoto asked as she focused her attention on the other sibling.

“Normal.” He answered, his tone polite as always, but a subtle clipped tone to it suggesting that was all he had to say. Mikoto nodded as silence filled the room, the only noise the sound of chopsticks hitting the edges of the bowls as they picked up their food.

“Oh! There’s a festival going on over the weekend. Itachi, why don’t you take Sasuke tomorrow?” Mikoto asked, perking up at the tidbit of information she remembered.

Sasuke looked up, eyes flickering between his mom and Itachi. She inwardly smirked as she saw a well remembered look in Sasuke’s eyes. He still loved spending time with his older brother.

Itachi glanced at Sasuke who caught his gaze and quickly diverted his eyes to his food.

“I guess I could do that.” Itachi agreed, Mikoto smiling. Fugaku however, made a noise of protest in his throat and Mikoto’s brow furrowed.

“You can have your night of fun Itachi, but don’t forget you have a mission the day after.” Fugaku reminded, waving his chopsticks in Itachi’s direction. Itachi merely closed his eyes.

“I won’t forget.” He spoke calmly, no emotion in his voice, as he continued to eat.

~*~

“Kyoko?”

The blond girl turned at the sound of her name, Hari looking over as well from his position next to her. She smiled widely and waved as she ran towards the two, her hair bouncing after her.

“Hi Sasuke. Hi Itachi-san!” She greeted, more enthusiasm going into Itachi’s greeting as she came to a stop before the Uchiha males. Her hair was, for once, let down to fall straight to the middle of her back and she was dressed in a light blue and white kimono, hints of pink decorating it.

“Hn.” Sasuke greeted back with a nod. His outfit was red and black with hints of white here and there. Anyone would recognize it as the Uchiha colours.

“Hello Kyoko.” Itachi greeted politely, his outfit just a simple black and white pattern. Looking past her, Itachi nodded to Hari in greeting who returned it.

“Sasuke, it’s amazing! They have stuffies here as big as you!” Kyoko exclaimed, stretching her hands out to estimate the size. Kyoko started pointing random stuff out to Sasuke excitedly, Sasuke just looking wary at the girl’s obvious energy as she dragged him to a couple of nearby stands.

Hari walked over to Itachi, a stick of cotton candy in one hand.

“She wouldn’t shut up about coming here. Some girls from the Academy told her about it and got her all riled up. I would rather be at home preparing for my mission tomorrow.” Hari confessed to Itachi who was watching the two with mild amusement.

“Well if it doesn’t bother you I could watch her for the evening.” Itachi offered, yet his voice seemed emotionless and unchanging.

Hari paused before looking the 13-year-old over, his gaze calculating.

“Your Uchiha Itachi right?” Hari asked, tone flat and serious. Itachi nodded as Hari’s brow furrowed, contemplating, before Hari nodded. Itachi was an ANBU which meant he had a smart head on his shoulders, and was good in combat.

Kyoko wouldn’t be able to get into trouble.

“Bring her home at 8 o’clock.” Hari instructed before handing the cotton candy to Itachi who hesitantly took the items.

“Kyoko!” Hari called out, Kyoko freezing before turning her head to look back at her guardian. She blinked at him and he continued. “Itachi’s looking after you the rest of the night so I’m going home. Listen to what he says.” Hari commanded, like an officer commanding troops.

She nodded mutely and Hari departed.

Itachi walked towards the kids and handed Kyoko the cotton candy that Hari had left him. Kyoko’s face lit up as she took it excitedly, wasting no time in stuffing her face with the candy fluffiness.

“Let’s go to that one.” Sasuke said calmly as he pointed to another stall, the fact that he was actually having a good time only noticeable by the way the corner of his mouth was turned upwards.

The three headed towards the next stand where Kyoko fretted about how to catch fish. Sasuke caught one in five tries. Kyoko tried a good ten more times before she huffed and threw her net down as she straightened up.

“I don’t like this game anymore!” She declared childishly, taking a rather angry bite out of her cotton candy. Before she could say anything more, Itachi bent down and expertly scooped a fish up in one try.

“There.” He said, Kyoko’s cheeks flushing when the fish was bagged and Itachi handed the creature to her.

“T-Thanks.” She replied as she held onto the bag. They continued on their way, going from stall to stall, Sasuke getting some yakitori, Kyoko finishing her cotton candy before she starred up at the sky. It was starting to get dark, stars coming out, and the paper lanterns around them becoming lit up.

“Ah Sasuke! Itachi! What a surprise to see you here!” A voice called out, the trio stopping and turning to look around.

“Ah, Saori-san.” Itachi replied as he recognized one of their many relatives. The woman was impressively tall with an angled face and cropped black hair. “Good evening.” Itachi continued.

“My, my, and here I thought you would be too busy to come to the festival.” Saori stated as she placed a hand on her hip, lips pulling back in an almost mocking smile. “I heard Fugaku was giving missions left and right, and you are his prized son after all.” She added in. Itachi’s eyes narrowed slightly as he surveyed his cousin.

“I have a mission tomorrow.” He informed, his voice that regular emotionless, flat tone.

Kyoko found the conversation boring as the two older Uchihas continued to converse. She tugged on Sasuke’s sleeve and pointed down the walkway. Sasuke glanced back at his brother who seemed not to notice them before giving a single nod.

With that they disappeared from Itachi’s side without a sound.

They passed through crowds of people, the festival taking up quite a few streets of Konoha. They passed a stack of huge wooden crates that were stacked by the opening of an alley.

“Psst!”

Kyoko jumped back with a yelp, knocking into Sasuke and winding the poor boy.

“Psst! Kyoko! Is the coast clear?” A voice asked, Kyoko looking around wildly while Sasuke rubbed his stomach, slowly regaining his breath.

“Clear of what?” She asked uncertainly, head looking in every direction. Sasuke cracked open one eye, found the source of the voice, and grabbed Kyoko’s head and pointed it in the same direction so she didn’t look like an idiot.

“A group of three guys.” The stacks of wooden crates replied vaguely. “One guy looks like a huge gorilla.”

“Naruto, get out of the boxes.” Sasuke commanded as he fully regained his breathing. At Sasuke’s command, a familiar face poked out of the pile, a pout on his face.

“How’d you know it was me?” Naruto pouted as he clambered out of the crates.

“You’re voice.” Sasuke said in a ‘no duh’ tone as he rolled his eyes.

“Why were you hiding in there?” Kyoko asked, gesturing towards the pile. Hari’s warning of staying away from Naruto blown clear from her mind.

“Well I…uh…’borrowed’ some money from those guys so I could play some games at the festival but they caught me.” Naruto confessed sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head.

“You stole money!” Sasuke hissed, the 8-year-old having the mind like a whip. Then again, he was the top student in their class.

“What? No Sasuke, Naruto borrowed the money.” Kyoko explained with a wave of her hand while Naruto laughed weakly.

“Kyoko, don’t be stupid. Naruto stole the money.” Sasuke retorted.

“Oi! There’s the brat who stole our money!” A voice bellowed, Naruto’s head snapping upright as shadows fell over the three kids. Kyoko and Sasuke slowly turned around to face the three men, and one lumbering man in the back looking very much like a gorilla.

“Oh crap.” Naruto whimpered.

~*~
Fearful Glimpse by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok and just to make something clear, just because someone says Naruto is the Kyuubi doesn’t mean he is, he is just the jailor. Just to remind people so there is no confusion.

Oh, and any jutsus that I use that I make up, if the Japanese names for them aren’t right, it’s cause I looked up the individual words on the internet and then stuck them together, so yeah…they won’t be perfect.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 6: Fearful Glimpse

~*~

The three men sneered down at the three children as Naruto and Kyoko gulped. Kyoko subconsciously hid behind Sasuke, who stood his ground, as her eyes stayed transfixed on the three men in front of her.

“Well if it isn’t the brat who stole our money. Look he has friends.” The gorilla man from the back chortled, his voice deep and vibrating through the air. Kyoko couldn’t help but take in his size. He looked like how she had always pictured a giant, with the scruffy beard and the big beer gut. Not to mention the fact that he towered over everyone.

He could probably snap her in two if he wanted to.

“Shut up Fuu. That’s not what’s important!” A tan man remarked, elbowing the gorilla giant sharply in the side. He was average height with a huge black afro that screamed for attention. On his hip swung a sheathed katana, that if a ninja had possessed, would’ve suggested quite a bit of skill and fighting experience.

The man next to Afro was a lanky figure with green spiky hair with a sharp featured face and a weird black tattoo that ran down the whole left side of his face. He smiled widely and revealed rows of sharp pointed teeth, like that of a shark.

Afro seemed to be the leader.

“What’s important is that we get that money back.” The afro man said, shifting his gaze to the kids. Under his gaze, they all stepped back in unison, unknowingly stepping into the alley behind them, away from prying eyes.

The men followed them.

Sasuke was closest to the guys, Kyoko at his back and Naruto a couple steps behind the both of them.

“If we give you the money back will you leave?” Sasuke asked, his voice sounding surprisingly calm considering his age and the situation.

The afro man snorted in surprise. “Ok yeah sure kid. We’ll leave you alone.” He joked, looking back at the two men behind him who smirked as well.

Sasuke looked past Kyoko, over to where Naruto stood. Naruto just starred back at him helplessly and Sasuke growled as Naruto continued to remain motionless.

“Well?” The Uchiha insisted tensely.

“I told you I used it to play games…” Naruto whispered back frantically, eyes flickering about as Sasuke growled, fists wanting so badly to hit the Uzumaki in the face for being so stupid as to steal something in the first place. Especially from guys who looked like this!

“You spent all of it!” Kyoko squeaked. Naruto didn’t even bother to respond as the men in front of them began moving again.

“It doesn’t seem they can find our money.” Fuu pointed out

“Oh, what a shame. Looks like they’ll have to pay us back another way. What do you think?” Afro asked, an unpleasant smirk crawling over his features as he turned to Spikes whose eyes shone.

“Ransom?” Spikes voiced, sounding eager. They could triple the money they had if they held the kids hostage.

It was then Sasuke made his move. Hands flashing through seals he had learned when he was six, he puffed his chest up and inhaled.

“Katon: Gokakyu no Jutsu!” (Fire Element: Grand Fireball Technique) Sasuke shouted before a fireball shot from his mouth. The men yelled in surprise as the flames licked at them, heat enveloping the whole alleyway.

The afro man cussed loudly as he jumped away from the flames, ploughing into the green haired man. All three men jumped into the populated street behind them to avoid getting engulfed by the flames, Fuu snarling under his breath as he swatted the fire away that had lit up the left sleeve of his shirt.

“Fuck!” He continued to swear before he just tore his sleeve off and stomped the fire out, many people stopping to look at the scene. The passer-by’s turned their heads to look at the brilliantly illuminated alleyway, the fireball still burning brightly in the small passage.

“Those little bastards!” Afro spat as he ran back into the alleyway, unsheathing his katana as he ran. He planted it into the ground right before the flames, and using it as momentum, flipped over the fire.

Naruto dug his heels into the ground as the man landed like a cat, crouched in front of their path. Afro’s lips pulled back into an angry snarl as he straightened himself up, eyes blazing in anger.

It was at this time that Sasuke’s jutsu disappeared and the other men now ran back into the alley as well. Both their exits were blocked.

Passer-by’s scrambled to find the source of authority as they saw the men surrounding the kids.

“You little punk!” Spikes yelled as he grabbed the scruff of Sasuke’s shirt and with a powerful yank, lifted the Uchiha off his feet. Sasuke was thrown against the building wall to their right with a loud thud as Spikes adjusted his grip to hold the raven haired child by the throat. Sasuke’s head pounded from the impact, his vision blurring at the edges.

“SASUKE!” Kyoko shrieked in fright over the men growling at each other to be careful with him, seeing how he seemed to know a few moves. He would be a tricky hostage. As if proving their point, Sasuke began struggling, kicking and hitting the arm that held him up, managing to kick Spikes in the Adam’s apple.

The man almost lost his grip on Sasuke, choking in pain, but didn’t relinquish his hold in the end. He instead regained himself and shoved Sasuke’s body against the wall roughly once again, Sasuke grunting in agony.

“Grab the other ones!” Afro commanded, the leader of the group. Kyoko almost fainted when a massive hand suddenly fisted into her hair before she cried out in pain as he pulled, her hair feeling like it was getting ripped out. The man’s other hand trapped both her wrists painfully behind her back, Kyoko howling in pain.

Kyoko’s fish that Itachi had caught for her fell from her hands as pain surged through her arms. Tears started to trek down her cheeks from the pain that was coming from her arms and her head.

Afro man at that time tried to get at Naruto who for some reason, starred transfixed at his flailing friends. People were actually hurting his friends…because of something he did…

Because of…him…

Rage boiled through him like fire, heat radiating from his midriff. It exploded through him, pulsating like an angry pulse before it seemed to envelope his very being.

“AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! YOU SON OF A BITCH!” Afro screamed in agony as he veered away from Naruto, falling on his butt as he howled in pain. Silence filled the area as all eyes turned to the unmoving blond male who had one hand raised up in a striking motion.

“YOU LITTLE BASTARD! I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!” Afro shouted as he staggered to his feet, one hand clutching at his face as blood poured between his fingers.

Kyoko’s stomach churned in her stomach as she starred at Naruto and the afro man, her apparent attacker seeming to have paused in confusion. Something was very, very wrong. Something with Naruto had changed.

“Giro, what happened?” Spikes called over his shoulder, looking at his comrade from the corner of his eye.

“Ryuoka…HE GOUGED OUT MY EYE!” Giro yelled as he pulled his hand away from his face, Kyoko and Sasuke starring in shock and fear as a bloody mess was in place of where his eye should be, a mangled hole in his face.

No eye was in sight anywhere.

The attention was then reverted back to Naruto who was still in the same position, back towards the other two children.

Then…he twitched. With speed that no one had ever expected him to have, he spun on his heel and sprinted towards Spikes. Jumping up, he landed a powerful kick to the man’s face.

The force sent the man flying as Sasuke fell from his grip, Spikes smashing into the ground feet away, tumbling with a sickening crack, his body going still like a broken doll as dust and rock flew up from the impact.

Naruto merely landed in a crouched position, Sasuke gaping at his hunched form.

Without even pausing, Naruto flipped upright and ran towards the gorilla giant. He placed his hands on Kyoko’s shoulders for leverage and flipped upwards, both feet crashing into the underside of the man’s chin.

There was an ear splitting snap. The man’s neck went awkwardly straight before it snapped backwards, crumpling like a folded piece of paper. His head lolled lifelessly, Kyoko horror stricken as she tipped forwards, his grip on her now gone.

She would’ve fallen if Naruto hadn’t brought an arm out to catch her around the shoulders. He steadied her, straightening as she starred at him.

That’s when she saw.

His eyes were the color of blood with a deep slit down the middle, and his whiskers were more defined and fierce. Even with his lip closed, fangs were visible as they jutted past his bottom lip.

He then grinned at her and she felt like her heart turned to lead and fell into her ever churning gut. It was a demonic smile that chilled her to the bone.

She starred with wide eyes as Naruto let her go, Kyoko barely feeling the tips of his claws as he let go of her arms.

He was like…an animal. Down to his fanged smile.

And Kyoko was downright terrified. She wanted to scream and run but she was frozen to the spot, her brain not able to process anything. All she could do was stare.

He had just…did he just…two men…dead?

“YOU LITTLE BRAT!” Afro yelled, still conscious. He ran towards them and Naruto turned on his heel slowly, surveying the man. Springing off, Naruto meet the man half way with a grunt and landed a punch kick combo to the man’s torso before swiping up with his claws.

There was another cry of pain from the man as a clean cut broke through the flesh from his chin to his temple, blood spattering onto Naruto. Afro fell back and starred up at Naruto as Naruto made to strike again, but a hand trapped his wrist.

Naruto’s head snapped around to stare into crimson eyes, the sharingan starring back at him, Naruto’s smile vanishing.

Itachi tightened his grip on Naruto’s wrist before yanking, twirling the blond around so he faced him, and ramming his knee into the blonde’s stomach so fast that the blond didn’t have time to blink. Spit flew from the kid’s mouth as he crumpled at the middle, before he went unconscious in Itachi’s hold.

“Onii-chan!” Sasuke called out, Itachi looking back to where Sasuke resided. The alley now contained four ANBU members who were checking the bodies. Passer-by’s had informed them what was going on and they rushed there as soon as they could. One ANBU was on the Afro man, touching him to make him pass out before leaving with him in a swirl of leaves.

Probably to the hospital, and then to the Hokage Tower for interrogation about what happened.

Two dead…one man injured.

Sasuke ran over to Itachi, Itachi inwardly checking over all the scrapes that he could see on his brother. A few scrapes, a bruise around his neck, but nothing too serious. It wouldn’t be anything that Sasuke couldn’t handle.

“Are you alright?” Itachi asked as he adjusted Naruto, putting him over his shoulder.

“My head hurts.” Sasuke informed, gingerly reaching a hand back to touch his ever throbbing head. He had been rammed into a wall.

“Hmm I see. One of the ANBU will take you to the hospital.” Sasuke replied, nodding to himself. He unfortunately could not take Sasuke, seeing how he was the one with the unconscious Uzumaki slung over his shoulder.

“Did you see what happened with Naruto?” Sasuke suddenly asked, eyes fixated on the unconscious blond. “He moved so fast. He’s never been that good before Onii-chan.” Sasuke whispered heatedly as he replayed everything in his mind.

“And he…” Sasuke trailed off as he looked over his shoulder at the man who had been his captor, now a heaped broken mess on the ground.

All from one kick.

From Naruto.

“No, I’m sorry Sasuke. I didn’t get here until the last minute. Saori-san kept me tied up.” Itachi admitted as he slowly shook his head.

“I will have to take Naruto to go see the Hokage so I’ll get one of these ANBU to escort both you and Kyoko to the hospital. You both need to be checked over.” Itachi instructed as he gently jerked his head in Kyoko’s direction. Sasuke turned his head and saw Kyoko starring off at the space ahead of her, her long forgotten fish held tightly in one hand while the other was fisted in the silken material of her kimono.

If anyone had bothered to concentrate any harder they would’ve seen her hands shaking in tiny tremors, her eyes wide in silent fear.

Sasuke glanced at Itachi, nodded once, before heading towards the Namikaze who jumped in fright at his approach.

Sasuke took one last glance at the two dead bodies, a clammy feeling beginning to claw its way into him before he pushed it aside. He was going to be a ninja, an even better one then his brother. Bodies wouldn’t bother him. He wouldn’t let them.

Shaking his head, he dispersed his feeling and began walking with Kyoko, Itachi briefly talking to an ANBU member who nodded before escorting the two kids to the hospital.

~*~

Hari blinked as he heard the front door open and close. Fuji perked up, but Hari decided that he would have mercy and not release the canine on Kyoko for once.

“Fuji. Go to bed.” Hari commanded, pointing to the dog bed situated in the corner of the living room where the two were currently sitting. Fuji’s ears drooped, thinking he was being punished, but he obediently walked to the large cushion and lay down on it, unmoving.

“Your home early.” Hari called out as he got up and walked out of the living room. In the front hall he was greeted with the sight of Kyoko slipping out of her shoes. She blinked raising her head and starring at Hari. It was several seconds before she responded, seeming to comprehend what he said.

“Oh, um yeah.” She replied as Hari frowned at her behavior, watching as she walked into the hall with him.

“What did you get?” He asked as he noticed the sheen of the plastic bag the fish was bagged in. She looked down at the bag before holding it up so Hari could look at it better.

“Oh. Itachi-san caught me a fish.” She stated softly as Hari inspected the fish.

“Kyoko…” Hari sighed as he took the bag from her. “This fish is dead. Did you shake it or drop it?” He asked sternly as he looked at the upside down fish floating in the bag before placing it on a small table they had placed in the side of the hallway.

Her shoulders slumped at his words.

“No…well…I did drop it…” She confessed. “When that gorilla man attacked me…” She continued quietly to herself.

“When what?” Hari asked sharply, her voice not as quiet as she thought. “Kyoko…what did you just say?” Hari asked sternly, Kyoko tensing at his tone.

It was the tone he always used when she was in trouble. She hated hearing it.

“I said I dropped it when that gorilla man attacked me.” She repeated, louder this time.

Within minutes Hari had her seated in the kitchen since the living room was hosting Fuji, retelling the whole night after he left her with Itachi and Sasuke. She told him about running into one of Sasuke and Itachi’s relatives, sneaking away from Itachi, running into Naruto, the three men finding them, Sasuke using his fire jutsu on them, getting attacked, and then Naruto killing two of the men.

By the time she finished talking she was curled up in her seat, her hands trembling as she struggled to keep her voice even.

“Kyoko…I need you to listen to me…actually listen to me.” Hari said as he moved off his seat, crouching down next to her seat so they were the same height.

His voice made her hair stand on end.

“I told you to stay away from Naruto for a reason. He is a monster. Do you remember all those stories I told you about the Kyuubi?” Hari warned, deciding that the law needed to be broken for this one time. Kyoko nodded meekly, not looking at him.

He shifted and she unconsciously shrunk back from him.

“Well when your father fought that demon, he didn’t kill it. Listen to me Kyoko.” Hari said, grabbing her chin and forcing her face upwards, wide eyes looking at his.

“Naruto is that demon. He is the Kyuubi no Kitsune. You have to stay away from him.”

Kyoko’s breath hitched, eyes dilating as those words pounded into her skull. Those slitted blood eyes popped to the front of her mind and she suddenly felt very sick.

~*~

That night Kyoko dreamed of slitted blood red eyes on a familiar blond boy with gleaming fangs, bodies lying around him as he destroyed countless shinobi like the Kyuubi had in every story she had ever heard.

Screaming and yelling filled the background of her dream as Kyoko whimpered, tossing and turning fretfully as her nightmare continued.

~*~

“Thank you for coming on such short notice.” Sarutobi said, nodding toward Inoichi who nodded back. They had called the head of the Yamanaka clan over when one of the ANBU members had brought in a bandaged afro man who they claimed had attacked three kids during the festival.

The kids were Uchiha Sasuke, Namikaze Kyoko, and Uzumaki Naruto. And two of the three attackers were dead…because of the kids.

It was a very disturbing thought.

“Of course. I do what I can to help.” Inoichi replied, gaze fixed on the man in front of them. The man had been put in a chair for them, even though he was unconscious, so he was slumped rather awkwardly.

“But wouldn’t this normally be Ibiki’s department?” Inoichi asked, glancing at Sarutobi from the corner of his eye. Morino Ibiki was the professional interrogator in Konoha. The man knew every strategy and tactic out there that made suspects and enemies spill their guts.

He could mentally break people in seconds.

He was a truly terrifying man if he was your enemy.

“Normally yes.” Sarutobi sighed, watching as two ANBU members placed some restraints on the afro man’s hands and feet, restraining him if he were to suddenly wake up and decide that he didn’t like his situation. “But we need to visually see what happened. There are just some things that you can’t express in words.”

“I see.” The Yamanaka agreed as the ANBU moved away from the now shackled man. They signaled that he was ready and Inoichi stepped forward, ready to start. He needed to go into the man’s mind and retract the memories.

Closing his eyes, his hands made a single hand sign as he opened his mouth. “Seishin Shinyuu no Jutsu!” (Mind Invasion Technique)

Inoichi’s body slumped down to its knees as his soul entered the afro man’s mind. The chambers of the mind swirled into different pathways as Inoichi frowned in concentration, looking at the walls of the mind.

Each mind was unique and different, though the overall basics were the same. He just had to find where the memories were being held.

Carefully, Inoichi set out through the many halls, opening each door as he passed by, but closing it when he found that it wasn’t what he wanted. A different door led into a different part of the mind. One would be the nervous system for example.

“Ah, there it is.” He muttered as he found the right door. He stepped into the room, careful not to disturb the steady flow of memories that were lining the room. It was like someone had pulled out a roll of film and had decorated the walls with the film as wallpaper, each picture playing its own movie.

Inoichi frowned as he tried to distinguish which one he needed to focus on, ignoring all the brightly colored pictures and voices that seemed to beckon him to watch them.

If he did he would be stuck there for months. Years even.

He blinked as he realized that part of the wall wasn’t finished. There wasn’t any memory covering it. Was the one before it cut off the last memory the man had?

Ignoring all the other videos, Inoichi went to the last one, watching as it replayed itself, cutting off right as he got there, and restarting as if just for him.

He watched as the scenes of the day unfolded before him before he saw the three kids come into focus. Two blondes and one brunette, only Academy students. The man whose perspective Inoichi was watching from began to advance on the kids, talking to them about money that had earlier been stolen.

When the subject of ransom came up the raven haired brunette suddenly took action, a fireball almost blinding the screen Inoichi was watching from. Then violence ensued.

When Inoichi saw the blond male with those red eyes and fangs, he knew without a doubt which child it was he was witnessing taking the offensive. Uzumaki Naruto.

Like a camera that someone was running with, the pictures began to shake and blur as the man began to run towards the Uzumaki who had just delivered a devastating blow to the giant like man who was holding the other blond child.

Naruto met the man halfway, every feature of his face caught and displayed for Inoichi as Naruto beat the man back. Naruto was then stopped by a black haired teen, knocked unconscious, and then ANBU appeared, the vision then going completely black.

Inoichi’s body twitched as his spirit returned to his body, his eyes slowly opening. He looked around as he slowly stood up, eying the man whose mind he had just exited.

“Well?” Sarutobi asked, brow raising as Inoichi made his way back towards him.

“Our guy here was harassing the three kids for money that Naruto had stolen. Naruto didn’t have the money anymore so the guy was going to use the kids as hostages and try to get money from the ransom. One of the kids, the one with black hair, used a Kotan jutsu and tried to get away. Our main guy here jumped over it and blocked their path as the flame went out and his buddies backed him up.” Inoichi started to explain, wishing that he could just show Sarutobi what he just saw, but unfortunately his jutsus didn’t work like that.

“They tried to take the kids as hostages and Naruto seemed to snap. He killed two of the guys, and injured our guy here. The ANBU arrived before he could finish this guy though.” Inoichi finished explaining, watching the Hokage’s expressions through his explanation.

Sarutobi’s brow was furrowed and he was clutching the pipe between his lips which were pulled back in a frown.

“I see. Thank you Inoichi. You can go now.” Sarutobi dismissed, the blond Yamanaka nodding before exiting the room. Sarutobi could feel a sense of unease creep up into him.

This wouldn’t turn out good if the council members learned about this. Sure Inoichi was part of the council but Sarutobi didn’t believe he quite realized the repercussions of what this event could unfold, unlike what other council members would.

It would no doubt be a headache that Sarutobi wasn’t looking forward to.

~*~
Starting to Break by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 7: Starting to Break

~*~

Itachi laid the unconscious blond on a cushioned bench as he waited for the Hokage to see him. The Sandaime was currently with someone from the Yamanaka clan, investigating on the events that took place.

Most likely by using the Yamanaka’s abilities to read the man’s memories.

Itachi glanced over at Naruto, taking in the small spatters of blood that coated his fingers, and splashed across his white t-shirt. Slumbering though, he didn’t look like a child who had just killed two men and would’ve likely killed another if Itachi hadn’t arrived on the scene.

‘Then again, one should never be fooled by appearances.’ Itachi thought to himself. It was dangerous and many shinobi would be dead if they judged by appearances.

The door to the room opened, Itachi straightening up from where he was leaning against the wall. Sarutobi walked in, looking more worn and tired then usual.

“Ah Itachi. So it was you who was on the scene.” Sarutobi commented as he walked into the room, taking the white and red hat off his head to reveal his lack of hair.

“Yes.” Itachi answered simply, stepping aside as Sarutobi came to Naruto’s side.

“Tell me. Did you see anything?” He asked, glancing at the 13-year-old.

“Only the aftermath. I was preoccupied at the time of the event.” Itachi explained blankly. Sarutobi sighed, dragging a hand over his face. This was turning into such an event.

Slowly, Sarutobi reached out and shook the blond boy’s shoulders. It took a few seconds, but Naruto soon began to stir. His eyes cracked open as he mumbled something under his breath, before his gaze focused on the Hokage next to him.

“Oji-chan?” He asked sleepily as he pushed himself up into a sitting position, blinking rapidly to get his eyes to focus more and his brain to actually wake up.

Despite the circumstances they were meeting under Sarutobi smiled.

“Hello there Naruto. Are you awake yet?” He asked softly as he crouched down on his haunches so he was at a better eye level for the boy. The blond yawned before nodding his head, eyes now open and looking between the Sandaime and Itachi curiously.

What was going on? What happened?

“Naruto…” Sarutobi called, the boy’s attention returning to him. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

Naruto frowned in confusion at the question, unsure of what exactly was going on, but obliged anyways.

“I was at the festival, but I didn’t have enough money so I—“ Naruto started before his eyes bulged and he shot to his feet. “THOSE GUYS! THEY ATTACKED US! ME, KYOKO, AND SASUKE! THEY WERE—” Naruto yelled urgently.

“Yes, we know. It’s taken care of.” Sarutobi reassured as he stood and placed a hand on Naruto’s shoulder to sooth him. Gently, he lowered the boy back onto the cushioned bench. Naruto uneasily looked between the two men for more reassurance.

“R…Really?”

“Yes.” Sarutobi assured firmly. “But Naruto, can you tell me what happened when the men attacked you?” He continued, crouching down in front of Naruto once again.

“…well…” Naruto mumbled, brows knitting together in concentration as he starred at his lap. “They said that since I didn’t have the money, they were going to use ‘ransom’.” Naruto said, emphasizing the word that he didn’t know the true meaning to.

“Mhmm. Then what?”

“Then they attacked Sasuke and Ky—“ Naruto started before he cut himself off, noticing the blood coating the tips of his fingers. His stomach churned as he held his hand out in front of him, the dried blood flaking as his fingers bent. Crimson caught his eye on his shirt and he suddenly pulled the front of his shirt out so he could see it better.

His breathing went shallow as he saw the spatters of blood that coloured his white shirt.

“Naruto…Naruto…” Sarutobi called out sternly as Naruto starred, unresponsive.

“I… attacked…them…” Naruto teetered, the words whooshing out of him in a silent breath. His mind was blank, all he could do was stare as his memories replayed the events. His fingers twitching as he remembered slashing the one guy across the face, the result being the blood now on him.

“I…they were hurting Sasuke and Kyoko…I didn’t mean to…I just…” Naruto stammered as his hands fisted in the material of his shirt. His head bent, hair covering his face from view.

“Naruto. Calm down. It’s alright. We know it was self-defence.” Sarutobi tried, Naruto barely acknowledging his words. “We know everything that happened. You helped your friends. It’s ok.” Sarutobi continued to try and sooth.

Naruto raised his head slightly, blinking once.

“I killed them.” His voice quivered. Sarutobi looked at a loss of what to do as he straightened up. It seemed Naruto remembered perfectly what he had done.

The Sandaime sighed solemnly at what he had to do next. But it needed to be done to help the boy in front of him. “Sorry about this Naruto” He apologized as his left hand glowed with chakra.

Naruto blinked and his head perked up at the sudden change of conversation. Sarutobi gently placed his hand on Naruto’s head.

“Nagori Sakujo no Jutsu.”(Memory Deletion Technique)

Naruto’s eyes fluttered rapidly before he slumped under the Hokage’s hand, Sarutobi catching him.

“Itachi, can you take him home please. He’s had a long day as it is.” Sarutobi said as he looked over at the still present Uchiha. Itachi nodded, not able to disobey the orders given to him by the Hokage, and took the boy.

~*~

Kyuubi no Kitsune let out an angry growl as he glared at the bars that stood in front of him mockingly. Despite how big their iron frames seemed to humans, to a demon, they were as weak and frail as toothpicks.

And yet he was trapped.

He paced back and forth frantically in his confines, water sloshing underneath his paws as his teeth sneered at the bars once more. For eight damn years he had been trapped here! He was starting to go insane!

Traitorous thoughts of just giving up and just lying down peacefully had already started to form in his head!

But there was hope! Just awhile ago, he had managed a small crack at the base of one of the damn bars. A fraction of his chakra had leaked through when he did, but it didn’t faze him.

Not when a chance at escape was in sight. It had only just taken eight years for it to appear.

Narrowing his eyes, the Kyuubi lunged forward, massive jaw wrapping around one of the bars.

On queue, the seal that the Yondaime had so graciously sealed him behind flared up and Kyuubi jerked back with an inaudible yelp as power surged through the bars. Something akin to electricity, yet fiercer.

“You fucking bastard!” Kyuubi snarled, venom coating every word. He then twitched, head raising a fraction.

Someone was trying to place a jutsu upon him. His growl vibrated through the dripping corridor.

Enough with all the damn jutsus!

Glaring above him, where the itch of the jutsu was, he allowed a tiny tendril of his chakra to crawl out through the tiny crack he had made in the bars. The red chakra soared towards the source of the itch, and obliterated it.

The Hokage’s memory jutsu was then erased, its effects becoming useless upon the blond boy who slept on obliviously while Kyuubi went back to trying to demolish his restraints.

~*~

“I already told you, I don’t know!” Naruto growled, Sasuke for once being the annoyance as he pestered Naruto about the festival night, that fateful night being five days ago. At least when Sasuke pestered someone he didn’t do it with energy and enthusiasm like Naruto would’ve.

He just asked the same question at random points in the day when Naruto wasn’t expecting it.

“Tch.” Sasuke responded, clearly unsatisfied. At the moment the class was outside and split up, the boys on one side of the field and the girls on the other side. They were holding sparring matches, supervised of course, to work on their fighting techniques.

They needed to get three hits, or points, to get their enemy out.

The boys fought the boys and the girls fought the girls until Iruka thought enough time passed and the girls would fight the boys. Sasuke was glad he was healthy enough to fight, having just received a mild concussion from the night of the festival.

Kyoko was told that if her arms had been pulled any harder her arms would’ve been pulled out of their sockets. They said she was lucky.

Naruto on the other hand was still coping with the night. Yet after a few nights of tossing, turning, and not eating right, Naruto started coming back to himself. He was sleeping through the night and eating full meals again. His cheery personality had even come back ten fold.

“Sasuke vs. Roku.” Iruka called out, Sasuke walking into the center while a copper haired boy walked in as well. It didn’t take Sasuke long to take the other boy down with a swift punch kick and punch combo, and Sasuke was soon at Naruto’s side again, arms crossed over his chest.

“Why do you care anyways?” Naruto asked as they watched the other boys fight as names continued to get called. Sasuke however didn’t feel the need to answer him and Naruto huffed angrily.

“Kyoko vs. Misora.” Mizuki’s voice called from the other side of the field, catching the two boy’s attention. They turned and saw blond pigtails walk into the center, a girl with a violet bun on her head walking to match her.

Misora lunged too early and Kyoko dodged easily, twirling around her and hitting her squarely in the back, earning herself a point. Misora attempted to regain herself and aimed a punch but Kyoko ducked and managed to punch her in the gut which made the other girl double over.

Another point.

Kyoko quickly danced out of range and swept the girls feet from under her, earning her the final point and winning her match.

“I didn’t know Kyoko was good.” Naruto commented as he watched her walk out of the center, pulling a lollipop out of her pocket and popping it in her mouth.

“Hn.” Sasuke nodded, before his attention got called back to the boys’ side. “You’re up.” He said as he pushed Naruto forward. Naruto grinned as he bounded into the center, his opponent Akimichi Chouji.

Chouji was unresponsive, just wanting to get out so he could eat his bag of chips so Naruto won within seconds, hitting Chouji twice in the stomach and once on the forehead. Naruto jumped happily at his victory and bounded over next to Sasuke who just rolled his eyes at the one sided fight.

It was obvious to anyone that Chouji hadn’t even tried.

Time continued to drag on before both boys got called into the center to face each other, each surprisingly serious as they watched the other.

“You’re going down Sasuke!” Naruto declared as he settled into a fighting stance, determined grin on his face. Sasuke however, didn’t give his usual ‘yeah right’ response that he always did. Instead he just stayed silent, watching ever closely.

Iruka signalled for the fight to begin and the two slowly began circling each other.

Naruto was the first to move, running forward with a punch aimed for Sasuke’s chest. Sasuke frowned to himself and placed a hand on Naruto’s fist, guiding it away from himself as he stepped back.

He then gracefully landed a square punch to Naruto’s cheek, dazing Naruto for a few seconds.

Naruto staggered back a bit before growling, still determined to beat Sasuke. He came at the raven haired boy again and Sasuke dodged again, but this time he didn’t retaliate.

Sasuke just continued to dodge out of the way, scowling at the blond with a frown on his face. This continued for a good few minutes until Naruto got frustrated.

“Why aren’t you fighting?” Naruto demanded, stopping to stomp his foot as Sasuke flipped away from him to put some distance between them. To say that their fight had everyone’s attention would be an understatement. Sasuke usually always took Naruto down quickly…like usual.

This behaviour was different.

“Fight for real.” Sasuke commanded.

“I am!” Naruto exclaimed, irritated.

“No! I mean fight like you did at the festival!” Sasuke barked. At this Naruto flailed his arms angrily.

“I told you I don’t know how!”

Sasuke grunted before springing towards the blond who yelped in surprise before raising his hands to block the attack. Sasuke’s fist hit Naruto’s block before Sasuke twisted on his heel and raised his foot, his kick catching Naruto’s side.

Sasuke had two points, Naruto had zero.

Naruto grunted in pain before taking a swipe at Sasuke who evaded and landed another kick to Naruto’s chest.

Sasuke straightened abruptly now that he had won and stalked out of the center, Naruto growling as he followed him. When they reached the side Sasuke silently brooded to himself, upset that Naruto wasn’t fighting him seriously while Naruto brooded over the fact that he lost to Sasuke once again.

“How are those two friends?” Shikamaru asked Chouji as he noticed the two brooding males. They seemed more like rivals then friends at the moment. How troublesome.

Chouji just shrugged.

~*~

“OK, let’s now have the girls face off against the boys. Everyone gather over here!” Iruka instructed as Mizuki and Iruka gathered together in the middle of the field. The two groups joined in the middle of the field, making a circle around where Iruka and Mizuki stood.

Immediately they started calling out names, the matches starting with a small groan from the crowd.

“Hi Kyoko!” Naruto called as the two boys joined her, neither noticing when she jumped violently at his voice. She grabbed the end of her lollipop as she starred at him with wide eyes.

She made a mix of noises in her throat, Sasuke only raising a brow at the noise as he stood next to her. She was acting strange.

Naruto took no notice of anything however, and started to talk away to another boy who was standing not too far from them when Kyoko left to fight. It eased her nerves slightly, but when she resumed her position by Naruto and Sasuke, her stomach filled with butterflies. Time continued on, people switching up to fight as names were called.

“Kyoko vs. Naruto.”

Kyoko felt her stomach flop as she paled while Naruto bounded into the center, always eager for a fight. Kyoko stepped back, starring at the center until Sasuke shoved her into the middle to face Naruto.

“Come on!” Naruto called out eagerly as he fell into position. Kyoko thought she would faint. She remained unmoving for a couple minutes, Naruto’s face falling into one of confusion.

She fell into position when she caught a slightly impatient look from Iruka, biting down on her lollipop forcibly to keep her in place. Inside her stomach was dancing with butterflies.

Always the enthusiastic one, Naruto rushed her and Kyoko jumped away, startled. Taking the advantage, Naruto aimed a punch at her cheek and Kyoko was just barely able to intercept it with her forearm, a grunt escaping the two from the impact.

She pushed him away, Naruto reeling as he stumbled back before he lunged again. The two secret siblings fought, Kyoko dodging and flinching whenever he got too close while Naruto began growling in frustration.

She fell to her haunches and swept Naruto’s legs out from under him, making him fall onto his back. Her point.

From his position, Naruto swung his leg and repeated her move, springing upwards with a triumphant cry as she fell back onto her butt this time. Too quick to let this opportunity slip by, Kyoko could only look up as Naruto stood over her and swung a punch towards her.

In her mind Naruto’s image suddenly flickered, eyes becoming those blood red as fangs protruded from his mouth and her breath hitched, heart pounding against her ribcage as she starred in terror at her attacker.

The fist just barely tapped her forehead…like a feather.

Wide blue eyes starred at her as Naruto gaped at her silently. He stood frozen and all around them everyone watched in confusion as seconds ticked by.

Naruto took a few staggering steps back, eyes still locked on hers as he slowly lowered his fist.

Her face was one of complete fear. He had always received hated glares and looks from the villagers. The name calling and the violence. He was used to it…expected it even, but this…

She was afraid of him. Actually afraid of him.

Seeing the look on one of his best friends made his heart shatter as she scrambled to her feet and bolted out of the clearing.

~*~

Lunch time came around and everyone pulled out their food as they grouped together. Naruto just sat at his seat, starring at the Styrofoam cup of instant ramen in front of him with unfocused eyes.

The image of Kyoko’s face when they fought plaguing his mind. What could he have done to make her like that? Was she scared of him hitting her? But they were sparring. He was supposed to do that!

The chair next to him scraped against the floor as it was pushed back and Sasuke sat down next to him, plopping his bento box onto the desk surface. Silently Sasuke began eating his lunch while Naruto continued to stare at his ramen.

After a few minutes of this, Sasuke realized something was up and blinked when it registered in his head that Kyoko wasn’t sitting with them. Actually, she hadn’t been sitting with them for the past five days.

He wouldn’t admit it, but it was starting to bug him…just slightly.

Looking around, he spotted her sitting with Ino, Sakura, and a few other girls from class. She didn’t even look over at Naruto and Sasuke. She stayed firmly situated in the circle of girls.

It was…different.

Sasuke frowned.

“Hey are you going to eat that?”

Both Sasuke and Naruto jumped violently, their heads snapping in the direction of the noise, Sasuke never admitting that the Akimichi boy had actually managed to sneak up on him. Naruto had actually jumped because the plump boy was poking at Naruto’s ramen cup, Chouji’s brown eyes starring at the noodles hungrily.

Naruto blinked owlishly before Chouji’s words sunk in, their meaning as well, and he snatched his ramen possessively.

“Yes! It’s my ramen!” He declared, clutching the Styrofoam cup to his chest. Chouji pouted, falling back onto a nearby chair, unintentionally seating himself at the desk with them.

“Besides, you have food!” Naruto pointed out, now snapped out of his thoughts. Chouji did indeed have a pork bun in one hand, and a rice ball in the other. Shikamaru propped his head up on his hands, waking up from his nap at the sound of his friends’ voice.

“Chouji, eat your own food.” Shikamaru advised from a couple desks away.

“I am!” Chouji defended, taking a bite out of his pork bun as if to prove his point. “I just get hungry after I finish my lunch is all.” Chouji explained, his words muffled.

“You’re so troublesome.” Shikamaru complained, getting up and sitting next to the rotund boy who ate his lunch without complaint. Naruto welcomed the extra people at their desk, happy for more company.

Sasuke looked a little irked but it eventually faded as his face transformed into an emotionless mask that was eerily similar to his brother’s.

Lunch continued to pass, Chouji and Shikamaru conversing with Naruto over pointless topics while Sasuke looked on in disinterest. He glanced over to where Kyoko sat and straightened slightly when he caught her eye.

She jerked before whipping her head around, shoulders hunching up to hide her face from him. Sasuke’s brow furrowed and he decided he needed to interrupt the conversation going on.

Reaching over he shoved Naruto, making Naruto stumble slightly in his seat before glaring.

“What?!” He demanded grumpily, Chouji and Shikamaru falling silent. No one in class had really figured out how or why those two started hanging out together. Kyoko, Sasuke, and Naruto made some kind of weird friendship that didn’t quite make sense.

“Do you know what’s up with Kyoko?” Sasuke asked blankly, jerking his head in the blond female’s direction. Naruto stiffened, glancing at where the female was seated before he looked away.

“Nope.” He answered quickly, his voice surprisingly clipped. Sasuke looked at him suspiciously, but said nothing else.

Kiba chose that moment to walk into the classroom. The Inuzuka liked to eat his lunches outside.

Kyoko froze, paling as Akamaru barked his greeting. Kiba saw her and sighed in exasperation, placing Akamaru, who had been on his shoulder, in the front of his shirt.

“Don’t worry, I got him.” Kiba reassured, Kyoko nodding mutely though her eyes stayed transfixed on the puppy for any sudden movement. Like Akamaru suddenly leaping out of Kiba’s shirt and making a beeline for her.

Kiba made to walk on by before he sniffed and paused, looking at Kyoko with a funny expression.

“You have a faint smell of a dog on you.” He stated before leaning his head closer in her direction and sniffing, Akamaru following his example.

Kyoko almost fell off her chair.

“Kyoko, did you get a dog?” Misora asked, taking her juice box out of her mouth. Kyoko looked around and saw that all her friend’s eyes were on her.

“Um well…Hari-san…bought a puppy to help me…get over my fear…” Kyoko explained, shooting another glance at Kiba.

“Did it work?” Another girl asked, Kyoko shooting her a disbelieving look. Thankfully she wasn’t the only one.

“Ami…” Ino sighed, shaking her head slowly. “If it worked Kyoko wouldn’t still be afraid of dogs.” Ino pointed out, Ami only blinking before nodding.

“Hmm, she seems fine to me.” Chouji commented off-handedly, grabbing a bag of chips from somewhere and opening them, eating them without hesitation. Sasuke’s brow furrowed and he looked over at Naruto, the blond male having a look of hurt fixated on his face.

Something had definitely happened here.

~*~

Classes were over and kids were spilling out of the building in a mesh of color.

“Slow down! Sasuke!” Naruto complained as he chased after the raven haired boy who was in front of him, walking at an alarmingly fast rate. The Uchiha ignored him as he pushed his way through the crowd, a few casting him a glance but not paying it much mind when they saw it was Sasuke.

Naruto just followed in the wake Sasuke had made.

“Finally…” Naruto grumbled to himself as the taller male came to a stop, Naruto managing to catch up to him. When he did though, he wished he hadn’t. Sasuke had stopped Kyoko who had been in the middle of heading home.

“Uh…” She started, blinking.

“What’s going on?” Sasuke shot bluntly.

“Huh?”

“You’re acting strange.” Sasuke stated.

“Well….I…” She fumbled, not knowing what to say.

“Come on Sasuke, just drop it.” Naruto said as he appeared at Sasuke’s side, Kyoko flinching at his voice. Sasuke’s eyes narrowed at the reaction.

“No, something’s up.” Sasuke said stubbornly, crossing his arms over his chest.

“N-N-Nothing’s going on.” Kyoko stammered quietly, wanting more then anything to just run away under Sasuke’s gaze. As if her feet made up her mind for her, she started walking, manoeuvring around the two. “I have to head home now…” She excused herself, head bent forward.

Sasuke grunted in irritation. Kyoko then stumbled, tripping over her own feet. Instinctively, Naruto grabbed her wrist before her face could smack into the ground.

She jumped at his touch, whirling around to yank her arm away. In that same motion, her other hand came up and instinctively hit the blond male’s cheek, the slap echoing through the air.

Sasuke looked between the two in bewilderment as Naruto starred in shock. Kyoko’s eyes were wide in fright.

It had been an instinctive reaction. She hadn’t meant to hit him.

She staggered back, all three kids speechless. Realization seemed to dawn on Sasuke, and he took a step forward. As if that broke her from her trance, she turned and ran, clearing the Academy grounds easily.

Naruto slowly raised a hand to his sore cheek. He had been hit before. But being hit by one of his best friend…it just seemed to hurt that much more.

~*~
Dropping In by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 8: Dropping In

~*~

“How long did you think you were going to get away with keeping this quiet?” An elderly woman asked, her voice as cold as ice. Utatane Koharu from the Konoha Council was standing in the Hokage office, her visit anything but pleasant.

“It was not a matter of keeping it quiet Koharu.” Sarutobi replied firmly, yet trying to keep his voice conversational. “It was in self-defence. We had Yamanaka Inoichi confirm it.”

Koharu’s usually closed eyes slid open, and the gaze behind them was intense.

“You know that is not the problem here!” She hissed, placing her hands on the surface of the desk. “That child killed two men.” She scolded, voice lowering. “Two grown men. The villagers will find out about this and there will be an uproar Hiruzen.”

Sarutobi bristled slightly at hearing his first name. Hardly anyone knew it anymore.

Figures his old teammate would still remember it.

“He wa—“ Sarutobi started.

“He’s a danger to the Village.” She interrupted, her voice crisp and clipped. “He’s only 8-years-old and the fact that he killed a man just by kicking him once…you know what it means!”

Sarutobi only braced himself.

“It means that he’s tapping into the Kyuubi’s power. The seal is weakening.” She finished.

“And what would you have me do?” Sarutobi asked sternly, fixing her with a gaze just as hard. “He’s just a child, he doesn’t even know what he did.”

“That makes him all the more dangerous.” She argued sharply, nose rising in the air. “We need to isolate him so he won’t be a danger. We could keep him under constant surveillance, know his every move and every thought.”

“You want to lock him up?!” Sarutobi practically sputtered in outrage.

“You rather we kill him?” She argued back coldly. The two elders glared at each other as their argument turned to one that occurred eight years ago, when the boy they were talking about was but a baby.

“No one is allowed to kill him.” Sarutobi growled.

“Then we have no choice. If he is not kept locked up he will only endanger everyone.” Koharu instructed.

“You don’t know that.” Was the ground out answer.

“He killed two men.”

“He was attacked. So were his friends.”

The danger was not so much the fact that two men were killed, but that Naruto was the one who killed them. The villagers would demand some unsightly punishment. Banishment, death, imprisonment even. All things Koharu was trying to make Sarutobi do now so that it wouldn’t come to it in the future.

Sarutobi exhaled slowly as he closed his eyes. “How about we leave him for now, but if something like it happens again, I’ll do something about it.” He tried to compromise.

“That’s not good enough.” She shot back. “We can’t just sit around and wait for him to kill someone else.”

“And we can’t condemn him because of one incident.”

Koharu opened her mouth to respond when the office door opened. A familiar head of white hair peered inside, Sarutobi blinking in surprise.

“Am I interrupting something important?” Jiraiya asked though he was already stepping into the room. Had he heard them from the hall? No wait, why was he here? Wasn’t he travelling?

“Yes.”

“No.”

The two elders scowled at each other as they answered in unison, although they both didn’t have the same answer.

“Please, come in Jiraiya.” Sarutobi instructed, his eyes never leaving the woman in front of him. Her eyes narrowed into angry slits. “Koharu was just leaving.”

The woman stuck her chin out, her shoulders rolling back. “This isn’t over Hiruzen.” She warned crisply, Sarutobi once again bristling at the use of his first name. With that warning, she turned and walked out of the room, brushing past Jiraiya who watched her leave with a look of poorly disguised distaste on his face.

“What was that about?” Jiraiya inquired as he looked over to the Sandaime who was pinching the bridge of his nose, slumped in his chair. The older man gave a long suffering sigh as he opened his eyes.

“Naruto, Kyoko, and one of their friends were attacked just the other day.” Sarutobi started, instantly catching Jiraiya’s attention at the names of Minato’s children. “To save Kyoko and his friend, Naruto fought back. He ended up killing the two of the three attackers though. From what we can tell from the report, he tapped into the Kyuubi’s power because he killed them with just one kick each.”

Jiraiya just stared in awe at the man in front of him.

“Jeez. You leave for eight years…” Jiraiya mumbled to himself as he shook his head in disbelief.

“So I take it the council isn’t so thrilled?” Jiraiya continued as he came and sat himself down on the edge of the desk, crossing his legs. At this Sarutobi groaned.

“No. Actually I believe Koharu is the only one who really knows. But after this conversation, you can be sure they’ll all be informed.” He grumbled.

“She wants to throw Naruto in a cell somewhere and put him under heavy lock and key so that he can’t endanger anyone.” He retold, feeling grateful that there was someone on his side when he looked over and saw a look of fury on Jiraiya’s face.

He could always count on the Toad Sage to have his back in these arguments.

“Looks like I came at the right time then. I’ll be in the Village for a little while so I can always take a look at the seal on the kid if it’s a concern. I did help Minato make it after all.” Jiraiya pointed out.

“Thanks.” Sarutobi smiled weakly. “So why are you back in Konoha?” He asked, focusing on that point of the conversation now. At this Jiraiya smirked.

“Ah give me a break! I’ve been working my butt off passing off information from the spy network that I created. I deserve a break every now and then.” Jiraiya replied, waving off Sarutobi’s comment.

Sarutobi only smiled as he looked at his white haired pupil. The wandering sage who was constantly travelling, always seemingly doing nothing, yet underneath it all, gathering information for Konoha.

“So I take it you’ll be hitting the hot springs then?” The Sandaime questioned, grinning as Jiraiya twitched. He’d hit the nail on the head. Jiraiya always did say he liked the woman in Konoha the best.

“Hey!” Jiraiya snapped, looking affronted at first. “It’s all for delicate research. Even you know that!” Jiraiya insisted, Sarutobi chuckling.

“Oh yes, how could I forget.”

“I have to keep the ideas fresh. I’ve heard that Kakashi, one of Minato’s students, has taken a liking to my books.” Jiraiya supplied as he ran a hand through his long hair. Sarutobi frowned, brow creasing in concentration.

“Kakashi? Is he even old enough to legally read those yet?”

“How the hell should I know?” Jiraiya asked, shrugging. “I just came to give you an update on the spy network, and to let you know I was back in the Village.” Jiraiya explained, but Sarutobi had pulled out a book of Ninjas and was leafing through the profiles, looking for Hatake Kakashi.

He found the masked, silver haired nin and paused, skimming for the birthday of the male.

“Hmm, what do you know? He is.” He mused. “Time sure does fly.”

“Speaking of time…and Minato. How are they? You know, besides the whole attack thing?” Jiraiya inquired as he shifted on the desk, turning ever so slightly to look at the man better. Even though he didn’t specify who ‘they’ were, it was obvious between the two men.

“Well, I check in on Naruto every now and again. I can manage to give him an allowance, but nothing much or else the council will intervene. He’s living by himself in an apartment building, and although it’s not the greatest, he is managing.” Sarutobi started sadly.

A small smile broke onto his face. “He says his dream is to be the Hokage, and he idolizes the Yondaime. He doesn’t know it’s his dad.” He chuckled bitterly.

Jiraiya mirrored the action.

“Kyoko I’ve hardly seen. She’s living in the Namikaze estate and Hiroshi Hari, a Jounin, has been raising her. She seems to be doing fine.” He replied vaguely, having not seen her as often as he had the male.

“I still think we should’ve never split them up.” Jiraiya grumbled sourly. Sarutobi ignored him. Silence reigned over the two for a few minutes before Jiraiya turned to look at the man.

“Hey, would you like to check up on them with me?” He asked, Sarutobi starting slightly in surprise at the question.

“Do they even know you?” He asked, a brow raising as he found the right words to say.

“We don’t have to be direct. We could just walk through the town.” Jiraiya scoffed. “Besides, they know you. You could just say you’re checking up on them and I’m tagging along.” Jiraiya stated.

“And I have to check Naruto’s seal anyways.”

Sarutobi narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the younger man Jiraiya scratching the back of his head sheepishly, but still not saying anything.

Sarutobi relaxed. He actually did need to check up on Naruto and give the boy his allowance. And it wouldn’t hurt to check up on Kyoko he supposed.

“I guess I can sneak away from the office for awhile.” He agreed.

~*~

Many people looked as Sarutobi and Jiraiya walked through the streets. Many people called out a greeting, waving to the Hokage who nodded in reply. Just as long as they weren’t assistants from the tower who were looking for him, since he did sneak out of the office.

“Man after this I so have to hit the hot spring!” Jiraiya told himself as he watched a group of women pass by. Walking down the familiar streets brought back so many memories.

Especially when he was walking next to Sarutobi.

He half expected to see Tsunade or Orochimaru walk around the corner, his old teammates meeting up with him for an upcoming mission.

“So where are we going?” Jiraiya asked as Sarutobi wove through the streets, seemingly having a destination in mind.

“To Naruto’s apartment building. I have to give him his allowance.” He responded, not even bothering to look back over his shoulder. Jiraiya only nodded as he followed the Sandaime. They reached the building, the overall place not in the best condition, and began walking up the stairs. The sound of the wood planks creaking filled the air before they reached the door at the very top of the building. They knocked, and it only took a couple seconds for it to creep open apprehensively.

“Hello.” Sarutobi greeted, Jiraiya blinking twice as he came face to face with Minato’s exact duplicate. Minus the whiskers of course.

“Oji-chan!” Naruto beamed happily as recognition ignited in his eyes, the boy promptly hugging the white and red robed Hokage. He chuckled, ruffling Naruto’s hair as the boy pulled away. He let them inside his small apartment, hurriedly rushing to hide some of the mess that was littering the ground.

“Naruto, this is my friend Jiraiya.” Sarutobi introduced as the blond came bounding back over.

“Yo.” Jiraiya greeted with a casual salute.

“Uh…h-hi.” Naruto returned hesitantly, unsure about any new people he met. But this man was with the Hokage, the one man he could ever truly trust.

“You remember how a few nights ago, you were attacked at the festival and were knocked out?” Sarutobi asked, going with the edited version that Naruto’s should’ve remembered since Sarutobi used his jutsu on him.

Naruto’s brow furrowed. Not from concentration, but from the way the Sandaime had worded the sentence. Itachi was the one who knocked him out…not the attackers. Everything was still crystal clear to him.

“Uh…yeah?” He replied, agreeing. Technically Sarutobi wasn’t wrong.

“Well he needs to run a quick check up on you.”

Naruto blinked a couple times before turning his head to the white haired man.

“So you’re a doctor?” He inquired, cocking his head to the side.

“Uh….” Jiraiya trailed. “Sure.” He shrugged, Naruto’s face turning into one of slight suspicion.

“Oh, and before I forget, here’s you allowance.” Sarutobi continued as he reached into his robe and handed a small bag of money to the boy whose eyes shone.

“Yay!” He whooped as he took the bag happily, opening it and quickly counting the coins before shoving the bag in his pants pocket.

“Ok kid. I’m going to need you to sit down and lift up your shirt.” Jiraiya instructed nonchalantly, pointing to the worn yellow couch Naruto had. One of the few pieces of furniture in the place.

Naruto hesitated, pulling a weird face, before doing what he was told. Jiraiya frowned when all that met his eye was a bare stomach.

“Form some chakra.” He commanded seriously, crouching down in front of the boy.

“Eh?” Naruto asked in confusion, eyes turning into fox like slits. Without even turning his gaze from Naruto’s stomach, Jiraiya grabbed Naruto’s right hand, palm facing the ceiling.

“Focus some chakra into this hand.” He commanded again.

Naruto obeyed, closing his eyes to help him concentrate.

Jiraiya watched as black marks began to appear like magic on the boy’s flesh. The swirl pattern took up most of his navel, more of the design becoming apparent as Naruto’s hand began to glow blue.

“Hmm.” Jiraiya mused to himself as he released Naruto’s hand and gently laid the same hand on the seal.

Sarutobi looked over in concern. “What is it?”

“A tiny fraction of it, like a very small hair, has disappeared.” He whispered as he traced the seal with his fingers, oblivious to how Naruto squirmed under his touch, holding in fits of laughter.

“Can you fix it?” Sarutobi breathed, his stomach tightening at the idea of the seal disappearing. Obviously whatever part had vanished hadn’t been too important or else the Kyuubi would not still be contained.

“Yeah I should be able to. I did help make it after all.” He continued to whisper, the two only loud enough to be heard by each other as Naruto couldn’t contain himself, and began laughing.

“Ah sorry, sorry. Jiraiya apologized as he realized what was ailing the poor boy that was wheezing ‘st-stop’ between laughter. While Naruto was still laughing, Jiraiya focused chakra to his own hand, the fingers blazing a bright blue.

His gaze then turned serious once more as he traced the seal, this time red light shooting from it at his touch.

Naruto took a sharp intake of breath, snapping upright as Jiraiya continued what he was doing, adding on the piece of the seal that was missing.

When Jiraiya pulled his hand away, Naruto doubled over, holding his stomach in silent pain. He groaned, teeth grinding together as he massaged his abdomen.

“Wh…what did you…do?” He managed to say as he groaned once again.

“Oh I just fixed something. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” Jiraiya replied with a Cheshire smile as he stood up. “Just drink some water and get some rest.” He advised.

Even from his hunched over position, Naruto shot him a sceptical look.

~*~

At the Namikaze estate, Kyoko grunted as she wiggled her toes which were dangling off the ground. The blond female was in the middle of training, and was currently hanging from the uneven bars, swaying to try and get enough momentum to do another flip to continue her routine.

In the humongous clearing that was called the backyard, they had set up some gymnastics equipment Hari had bought in the Village. He had pretty much bought Kyoko her own studio, complete with mats and everything.

Since she was five, this had been what she had been practicing for balance, agility, and acrobats.

Hari said it would make her a hell of a fighter when she got older.

She got enough momentum and made the flip, hands coming out to grab onto the other bar. Her eyes widened as she felt it within her grasp, before it slipped from her fingers and she was on her back on the mats below.

She groaned, rolling over onto her side. She scowled at her sweaty hands. She had already gone through the routine six times already, maybe this was a sign to stop.

As if she needed more proof to stop, a knock erupted on the door, faintly to her since she was in the back.

She stood up and walked inside the house, Fuji barking like mad as he scampered towards the front door. The door opened, courtesy of Hari, and whoever was at the door began talking to him for awhile as Kyoko strained her ears to listen.

Two men it seemed. It was hard to tell with Fuji still barking.

“Fuji, stop that!” Hari commanded the dog, Fuji instantly stopped, going quiet. If Kyoko wasn’t frightened of the animal, she would’ve snickered. Still curios to who was at the door though, Kyoko grabbed a juice box from the kitchen quickly before tiptoeing to the front hall.

She poked her head around the corner, not willing to be in the same room as the puppy, and blinked in surprise as she recognized the Sandaime. The man next to the Hokage raised his head as he saw her, and smiled slightly to himself.

She looked like Naruto, with softer, feminine features, no whiskers, and more hair. Had anyone realized they were twins? Or was it just obvious to him because he knew?

“Ah, hello Kyoko.” Sarutobi greeted as he too noticed the small girl. She nodded in acknowledgment as Hari turned to see her as well.

“Kyoko, come over her and say hi.” Hari instructed. She however shrunk back, eyes darting to Fuji who was sitting at Hari’s heel.

“But…Fuji’s there…” She complained. Hari looked down at the dog and sighed.

“Fuji. Go to bed.” He commanded, pointing to the living room where Fuji’s bed resided. The dog’s ears drooped as he dejectedly walked into the living room. Now free from the puppy, Kyoko walked into the hall, standing next to Hari.

“Sorry. She’s supposed to be getting over her fear of dogs.” Hari replied as he turned his attention back to the men in his doorway. Kyoko scowled at the ground as she continued to drink from her juice box.

“It’s quite alright.” Sarutobi brushed off. “Now Kyoko, this is Jiraiya. He taught your father.” Sarutobi said as Kyoko’s eyes turned to the Toad Sage. Her eyes widened as Jiraiya gave her the same casual salute he gave Naruto not too long ago.

Apparently, that was all she needed to hear. Or, to be specific, all she was going to let him say.

“Really?” She squeaked in excitement, always eager to find connection to her parents. Jiraiya chuckled, nodding as she began shooting questions at him.

“Why don’t you come in? This might be awhile.” Hari advised as Kyoko, forgetting all about personal space, latched onto Jiraiya’s arm and was already pulling Jiraiya into the house.

~*~

The two men gave a small wave good-bye as they exited the Namikaze Estate.

“Jeez, that child has a death grip.” Jiraiya said as he rubbed his now sore arm. Kyoko had held it most of the time he was there, pressing him for stories about her father. The whole experience though had been pretty nostalgic. Just being in that house again sent him back.

“It’s like Kushina. Ever get on the bad side of her, and man you’d be dead.” Jiraiya continued.

“I wouldn’t know.” Sarutobi replied airily.

“That’s because you were never on her bad side.” Jiraiya sniffed, crossing his arms over his chest. Sarutobi just smiled as they continued to walk.

“But they’re both here…that’s good…” Jiraiya muttered under his breath. Sarutobi paused, frowning before looking over to his pupil.

“What?” He asked, catching Jiraiya’s attention. “What was that?”

“What? I didn’t say anything.” He lied, waving his hand to bat away the question.

“Yes you did.” Sarutobi pressed, brows knitting together. “You said, ‘they’re both here, that’s good’.”

“I think you’re going senile.”

Sarutobi glared.

Jiraiya slouched, sighing as he did so.

“Well, there was another reason I came to Konoha.” He admitted, rubbing the back of his head. The two stopped in the street, Sarutobi turning in front of Jiraiya to look him squarely in the face.

“I was in Iwa, gathering some information like always.” Jiraiya started. “Apparently Iwa doesn’t realize that Minato is dead. They still have the warning on him saying to retreat on sight. So of course, anyone who can bring Iwa his head gets a fortune.” Jiraiya said bitterly.

“So I was in a bar when I heard a couple of Iwa nins, who were apparently down on their money, saying that they were just going to barge his house late one night. That way they would get the money and not worry about becoming poor.” He continued seriously.

“So I figured I should at least check up on Minato’s kids, even if those Iwa nins were smash drunk.” Jiraiya finished, running a hand through his hair.

Sarutobi was silent for awhile, letting this new information sink in. So that’s the true reason Jiraiya was here. “I see. Thank you Jiraiya. I’ll keep an eye out for any Iwa nins who come to Konoha.” He assured.

Iwa and Konoha had never been on good terms, and they would definitely hold a grudge against Minato. Especially since the Third Great Ninja War. If they seriously decided to come at this plan, it could be trouble.

“Well now that I know they’re both accounted for, I’m going this way.” Jiraiya said, pointing and turning to leave.

“Where are you going?” Sarutobi asked in confusion. Realization came to him however when Jiraiya beamed.

“To the hot springs of course!”

~*~
Acting Strange by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok well I went and watch the episodes for references for this part, and I realized that Sasuke doesn’t learn his fireball technique until after the scene where Itachi beats those guys up, but oh well, in my story he already knows it.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 9: Acting Strange

~*~

“Ok everyone, it’s time to hand out your report cards.” Iruka said as he held a stack of papers in one hand. Naruto groaned, sinking down in his seat while Sasuke straightened in the row behind him.

Iruka walked down the aisle, handing out the appropriate card to the appropriate student, a few kids crying at their marks while others sighed in relief.

When he got to Shikamaru, his eye twitched as he saw the brunette asleep in his seat, drool trailing from the corner of his mouth.

‘And this is why his marks are so low.’ Iruka thought bitterly to himself. “SHIKAMARU!” He yelled as he slammed his hand down onto the desk surface. The Nara yelped as he jumped awake, flailing his arms.

A few kids laughed at the scene while Iruka’s brow continued to twitch.

“Could you at least try to stay awake?” Iruka ground out as he placed the report card on the desk. Shikamaru only yawned as he took the paper in his hands.

“I would…but it’s too troublesome.” He explained sleepily. Iruka grumbled angrily under his breath as Shikamaru looked through his marks with disinterest. He only shrugged before shoving the paper in his pocket.

Iruka handed a report card to Naruto who was seated next to him, the blond reluctant to take the card from him. Only looking with one eye, Naruto cracked the card open. He made a pitiful sound in his throat as he saw the marks, the blond then slumping in his desk, head hitting the surface with a ‘thwack’.

“And let’s see, Uchiha Sasuke.” Iruka said as he handed Sasuke his card. Sasuke all but ripped the card open, eyes flashing through all the marks.

He paused.

Blinked.

Then a smile spread across his face.

His marks were all wonderful! He could show this to his father! Maybe now his father would start seeing him like Itachi.

Iruka continued on, handing out the cards.

“Ah, Sakura got better marks then me! It must be because of that big forehead of yours!” Ino accused as she peeked at the pinkette’s marks.

“Hey!” Sakura cried out defensively. The two started bickering, pulling at each others report cards and comparing marks while Kyoko got handed her card. She flipped it open with baited breath before sighing in relief.

Hari wasn’t going to kill her. She was doing alright. Not the best, but better then average.

“Wow! Look at Hinata’s marks!” Ino cried, snatching the navy haired female’s report card from her hands. The Hyuuga heiress was seated next to Kyoko while Ino and Sakura sat behind them, giving the Yamanaka perfect peeking privileges.

“Ah…uh…well…I…uh…” Hinata stammered, blushing pink in embarrassment as Ino and Sakura looked at Hinata’s marks. Her pearl coloured eyes were fixated on the ground as she twiddled her fingers, continuing to stammer as they commented on her marks.

“Give it back you guys.” Kyoko said as she made to grab the report card back from them. Sure she hadn’t talked to the Hyuuga that much, just a sentence here or there, but she still respected her privacy.

“Hinata, you have some of the highest marks!” Sakura commented, ignoring the blond who they were holding the report card away from. Hinata had just barely beat Sakura academically, but Hinata wasn’t doing so well in the sparring matches. If she managed to pull that up, she could’ve been the top ranked girl.

“Wow Hinata, I never knew you had it in you.” Ino chirped proudly as she handed the Hyuuga back her report card. Hinata looked to be on the verge of fainting from all the compliments.

~*~

Sasuke eagerly sat in front of his father, watching as Fugaku read each mark carefully. When Fugaku finally looked up, Sasuke waited for the words he knew were coming.

‘That’s my boy.’

“Keep excelling like this and you’ll be just like Itachi in no time.” Fugaku commented, Sasuke blinking before drawing back slightly. That wasn’t what he had wanted to hear. Fugaku got up and left the room while Sasuke just sat there, drowning in his own thoughts. After a few minutes, Sasuke grabbed his report card and sat over by the backyard. Why hadn’t it been good enough? Didn’t he deserve some praise?

“What do you have there?” Itachi asked as he sat down next to Sasuke, eyeing the report card in his younger brother’s hand. Sasuke started slightly at his brother’s appearance, but relaxed.

“Just my report card.” He admitted softly.

“Can I see?” Itachi asked, Sasuke nodding before handing the paper over to Itachi who read it without a word. “Impressive.” He praised.

“You think?” Sasuke asked, a tone of happiness in his voice.

“Sure. You got the best marks in your class right?” Itachi said as he set the card in the space between them. Sasuke nodded enthusiastically, happy that someone had praised him.

~*~

Sasuke cracked his eyes open, the ceiling of his room coming into focus. It was still dark out, why was he up? He sat up in his bed, the covers falling around him as he rubbed at his eyes sleepily.

What time was it?

Looking over at his alarm clock, he saw that it was a little after midnight. He frowned, still confused as to why he was awake. He didn’t feel sick, or have to go to the bathroom.

“Just say it! You think I killed him don’t you?” A voice asked, Sasuke perking up. He crawled out of his bed at the sound of Itachi’s voice and scampered over to his window, pulling it open.

Down below, on the street, Itachi was facing three other men. Although Sasuke recognized the Uchiha symbol on their clothes, they didn’t look that friendly at the moment.

“Yeah, as a matter of fact we do, you little punk!” One of the men growled, rounding on Itachi angrily. Sasuke tensed as he let what Itachi’s earlier words were sink in. Kill? Someone was dead? Who?

At that, Itachi lunged forward, Sasuke gasping as Itachi rammed a fist in the man’s stomach before twisting and kicking another man square in the chest. He beat them down until they were groaning on the ground, their bodies just barely illuminated in the moonlight.

“I told you before to not judge people on appearance.” Itachi warned. “You judged that I would be a patient man.” He continued.

“The clan, the clan. You weak fools. You overestimate your own abilities, and yet underestimate the depth of my own.” Itachi said as he loomed over them. Sasuke could only watch in a mix of fear and awe. What should he do? Should he do something?

“You’re just making yourself guiltier. Shisui was supposed to be keeping an eye on you ever since you began acting strangely. What the hell are you exactly playing at you filthy wretch?” One man spat.

Itachi kicked him hard in the ribs.

“You’re too obsessed with the organization. With the clan. With our lineage. It’s a worthless compulsion that enslaves us, and keeps us from our true limits.” Itachi continued as the man he kicked wheezed, holding his side in agony.

“Itachi! Stop it!”

Sasuke almost hit his head on the top of the window at the sound of his dad’s voice booming across the street. Itachi also turned his head to face his father.

“What is the matter with you? You’ve been acting strange lately.” Fugaku said as he stomped into the scene, having been returning home from a mission of his own. A mission for the good of the clan.

“Nothing strange about me.” Itachi breathed. “I just have my own duties to fulfill. That’s all.”

Fugaku scowled as he helped the man nearest to him up. “So what’s your excuse? Why weren’t you at the assembly last night?”

“I had to achieve the next state.”

“Next state? Next state of what?” Fugaku exclaimed, bewildered while Sasuke watched with rapt attention, his head sticking out the window now.

In one fluid motion, Itachi grabbed a kunai and hurled it, the weapon embedding itself in the Uchiha symbol on the concrete wall. The symbol of pride. The men all glared at him.

“I’ve had enough. There’s no hope left for this pathetic clan. The people of this clan are all the same. You focus on the trivial and lose sight of what’s most important. Change is impossible in this fog of ignorance. How can we evolve when regulation is all we know?” Itachi lectured as he took a few steps back, his demeanour shifting into one of insanity.

Was he going mad?

“Such arrogance!” One man yelled as he staggered to his feet.

“If I hear one more word, I’ll have you put behind bars!” Another threatened. “Please sir, just give me the orders!” He said, glancing at Fugaku for approval.

Fugaku just starred at his oldest son.

Sasuke let their words sink in. They were going to arrest Itachi? They couldn’t!

Itachi opened his mouth.

“ONII-CHAN! YOU HAVE TO STOP!”

Itachi jerked a good inch while the others whipped their heads in Sasuke’s direction.

“Sasuke! Got to bed!” Fugaku roared upon seeing his youngest son’s face. Sasuke’s voice however seemed to break whatever trance was on Itachi as he sank to his knees, bending over at the waist.

“I’m not the one who killed Shisui, but I apologize for the words I have spoken. I am truly sorry.” He apologized, his forehead resting against the cold ground.

The men all sneered down at him, unforgiving. Except Fugaku.

“He’s been pretty tired lately. Mission after mission. Besides, he’s an ANBU. They’re under direct control of the Hokage. If you want to arrest one, you need to get a warrant first.” Fugaku explained as he took a step forward.

“But—“ A man protested.

“As for Itachi, I take full responsibilities for him. You’ve my word.” He interrupted. The men all scoffed before nodding in Fugaku’s direction. They then headed home while Fugaku headed to his own house.

Sasuke continued to watch Itachi as he slowly raised himself back up.

The two brothers locked eyes and Sasuke gasped at the design in Itachi’s Sharingan. In the future, he would come to know of it as the Mangekyo Sharingan.

~*~

“So, do you think it’s strange?” Sasuke asked, having retold the whole experience from last night to Naruto. He just had to tell someone. He didn’t know why. The blond just starred at him, a look of mild shock on his face.

“What?” Sasuke scowled.

“I’ve never heard you talk so much before.” Naruto commented, Sasuke promptly punching him in the ribs. “Ow! What?! It’s true!” Naruto defended.

Sasuke only growled, shaking his head as he walked away from the blond who hadn’t heard a word Sasuke had said through his whole little speech. It was recess time and all the kids were outside, either playing or talking amongst their own little groups.

Sasuke however felt like he needed to talk about what he had seen last night. But no one really knew Itachi to know whether what happened last night was strange or not.

“Kyoko! Get the ball!” A voice called, Sasuke blinking as he saw a soccer ball roll a couple feet to his right.

“Ok!” Kyoko called before the blond female came jogging towards the white and black ball. Realization sparked in Sasuke and he walked over to her as she gave the ball a powerful kick in the direction of the game that was currently on hold from the lack of a ball.

“Kyoko.” He said when he reached her. It would seem odd talking to her, seeing how they hardly hung out anymore since she had hit Naruto. But she knew Itachi out of everyone he knew.

She paused before looking over at him. He half expected to see that same look in her eyes from when she had been face to face with Naruto, but it wasn’t there. She looked normal to him...a little bewildered, but normal

“Uh, yeah?” She asked slowly, chewing a piece of bubblegum.

“I need to talk to you.” He said before jerking his head slightly in the other direction, indicating for her to follow him.

“Oh, ok.” She nodded, before following him.

“Hey Kyoko! Where you going?!” Someone from the soccer game called out.

“I’ll be back in a minute!” She reassured, waving them off. She trotted alongside Sasuke, the two coming to a stop after a few seconds. He retold her the events from last night, surprised by how easy it was to fall into the roles it had been when they had been hanging out. How easy it was to talk to her.

Before whatever Naruto had done to scare her off and she had begun hanging out with Sakura and Ino.

But was there a possibility…were they still friends?

“Itachi beat them up?!” She asked in awe, eyes rounded.

That was the reaction Sasuke was looking for.

“I know.” He continued, the two going from standing, to sitting cross legged on the grass. He continued the story, telling her about how they were going to arrest Itachi and how Itachi snapped out of it and asked for forgiveness.

“Maybe he has anger issues?” She considered, a bubble blowing from her mouth before popping.

“He’s never done this before.” Sasuke replied, shaking his head. Kyoko frowned, placing a hand on her chin.

“I guess.” She agreed with a small nod. She continued to throw out ideas, Sasuke batting away the far fetched ones that her imagination thought up of.

“Hey Sasuke! I just…oh.” Naruto started as he came up beside Sasuke before his smile disappeared as he locked onto Kyoko who stiffened. “…hi…” He tried, smiling awkwardly.

She scrambled to her feet.

“Wait!” Naruto called out desperately, reaching out to her as she shrunk away, turning to leave. He was becoming frustrated that she wasn’t hanging out with him anymore. She had been one of his first friends and that meant a lot to him. Why was she acting like this?

Sasuke seemed to side with Naruto, the Uchiha grabbing the bottom of her tank top as she tried to pass him. She lurched back with a tug, the girl making a surprised noise in her throat.

“Kyoko please.” Naruto said as he jogged so he could be in front of her. She brought her arms up, hugging them tightly to her chest as she starred, doe eyed, into his face, words lost in her mouth.

“Kyoko, I don’t know what I did but I’m sorry.” Naruto apologized, her fingers twitching at his words. “I’m sorry ok. So stop it. Please play with me again.” He continued, genuinely sorry for whatever it was he had done.

She just starred at his face for a few seconds before she gulped, bangs covering her face as she starred at the ground.

“Just…” Kyoko started, Naruto’s head perking up. Was she…was she talking to him again?

“Just leave me alone…” She whispered as she brought one hand back and forced Sasuke’s hand from her shirt.

“But…” Naruto started.

“Just forget that we were friends.” She replied, Naruto’s eyes widening while Sasuke’s eyebrows shot up into his bangs. Her hand, which was still forcing his off her shirt, was trembling slightly.

With that, she left.

Naruto sunk down across from Sasuke who watched his reaction, studying him carefully. The blonde’s face went from hurt, into shock, and then surprisingly, determination.

“Naruto, what are y—“

“Yeah right. Forget we were friends.” The Uzumaki scoffed as he swayed back up onto his feet, Sasuke watching him warily.

Naruto’s mood swings could be scary sometimes.

“Just watch. I’ll make her forgive me, and everything will be back to normal.” Naruto declared to just the two of them, eyes alight with silent determination.

Kyoko, with Sasuke of course, had been his first best friend. He was not going to let her just start not be apart of his life anymore! She would recognize him as a friend again, just like how this whole village would recognize him as a great Hokage one day.

~*~

“You missed the meeting again.”

Itachi paused from packing his bag and looked over his shoulder. Fugaku filled the doorway of Itachi’s room, arms crossed over his chest and a firm scowl set in his features. It had been two weeks since the last assembly.

“I was busy.” Was Itachi’s clipped reply as he turned back to his bag, finishing up before slinging it over his shoulder. He was preparing for a mission that the Sandaime had given him. He was already clothed in his ANBU armour, his mask propped up on top of his head.

Fugaku’s teeth grit together angrily.

“Your attitude is really starting to piss me off!” He snapped, Itachi merely ignoring him. “We need you to help us Itachi or else this coup d’etat will never work! You’re our pipeline between us and the Village’s nerve center.” He ranted. Those words made Itachi still for just a moment.

Fugaku could’ve swore he saw something flicker in his son’s eyes, but before he could register what it was, it was gone just as quickly as it had come.

Itachi was that blank faced child he always was.

“Excuse me. I have to go.” Itachi said with a small nod in his father’s direction.

“We’re not done talking about this.” Fugaku called as Itachi brushed past him and just walked down the hall calmly, not paying the conversation any mind. Fugaku growled to himself as Itachi disappeared around the corner, walking down the stairs.

The sound of the front door opening met his ears.

“Ah.” Sasuke’s voice reached him. “Onii-chan.” He continued quietly…almost hesitantly.

“Hello Sasuke.” Itachi greeted, Fugaku padding to the corner and watching from the top of the stairs as the two brothers interacted.

“How are you?” Sasuke asked slowly, cautious around his brother since the scene he witnessed last night.

“I’m alright. I’m going out on a mission though so I won’t be around for a few days.” Itachi told him as he slipped on his shoes. Sasuke nodded in understanding before the two bid each other farewell.

Sasuke began taking off his shoes, letting his backpack slip of his shoulders and rest by the front door like it always did.

“Sasuke.” Fugaku called out, Sasuke’s head snapping up in the direction of the noise.

“Oh…Otou-san.” Sasuke blinked in surprise. He hadn’t seen him there.

“Put your shoes back on. I’m going to help train you today.” Fugaku replied as he descended the stairs, Sasuke just gaping at him. His father had never offered to train him before!

“Uh…oh…ok!” Sasuke fumbled, scrambling to put his shoes back onto his feet. The only other time his dad had bothered to train him was when he was learning his fireball jutsu. Was his dad finally recognizing him?

~*~

“I see. So there was another meeting last night?” Sarutobi clarified as Itachi stood in his office, decked out in his ANBU attired.

“Yes.” Itachi nodded, Sarutobi frowning as he blew smoke from the pipe in his mouth.

“Thank you for informing me Itachi. You can continue on your mission.” Sarutobi dismissed. Itachi nodded once again before disappearing in a puff of smoke. The Sandaime leaned back in his chair, thinking to himself.

There were so many problems arising, it was making him tired. There was still the issue with Naruto, but he had managed to sooth most of the council by promising to do something about it if it were to happen again. Then there was what Jiraiya told him, about the possibility of Iwa nins sneaking into the Village, and now the Uchiha clan was planning to overthrow Konoha.

It made his head spin.

The office door creaked open and Sarutobi straightened in his seat, trying to look dignified. Danzo walked into the office, his cane thudding against the ground.

“The Uchiha’s are still planning against Konoha then.” He concluded as he walked further inside, closing the door behind him. Sarutobi opened his mouth to speak, but Danzo cut him off.

“I was listening from the hall. I can tell when the Uchiha is giving you a report.”

“Yes.” Sarutobi sighed. “There was another meeting last night.”

“Kind words and compromises will not work Hokage-sama.” Danzo started firmly, his expression blank. His face hardly ever showed any expression, especially with half his face covered in bandages.

“I don’t want to start a war.” The Sandaime warned.

“No. But maybe force is required.”

~*~
Nightmare by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 10: Nightmare

~*~

“Aw shoot! I can’t believe I stayed out this late. Stupid dobe, making me help him with his shurinken practice.” Sasuke grumbled to himself as he raced down the streets.

The moon was already out and the night sky was glittering with stars. The night air was chilly, but Sasuke was still warm because of the long sleeves on his shirt. His parents would be upset that he stayed out this late.

He shuddered, coming to a halt as he peered around the street.

Was someone watching him?

He looked around, but the street was empty. It was eerie almost.

“Why are all the lights out?” He wondered softly to himself as he took in the surrounding houses. It was late, sure, but it wasn’t late enough for everyone to be asleep yet. He frowned as his stomach flopped in his stomach.

Something was wrong. He could sense it. But what? Determined to get home, he turned the corner.

Kunai and shurinken were embedded in the walls, paper lanterns slashed in half, doors lying broken on the ground. A window was shattered, and blood was splashed on the wall and on the ground.

Sasuke fell back onto his butt as his eyes widened, an ice cold finger of fear running down his spine.

Farther down the road, two bodies were lying face down in the dirt, blood staining the ground around them as a single kunai stuck out from the back of each of them.

The handle of the weapon gleamed in the moonlight, making them look like grotesque wind up toys.

Sasuke managed to gurgle out their names as he propelled himself back up to his feet, running to their bodies frantically. He couldn’t believe it. They weren’t dead. They couldn’t be dead!

He looked around before spotting his house just a few doors away.

“Otou-san…Okaa-san…” He whispered hoarsely, determination setting in his face. He raced towards his house, flinging the door open, expecting a bloody murder scene, with missing furniture and weapons strewn about.

There wasn’t one. The house was actually clean and in tact.

He held his breath as he tip-toed inside the house. Something was still very very wrong. Who had killed uncle and auntie? What had happened?

His heart was pounding in his chest as he explored the rooms in the house, each room he entered turning up empty. He should just run. Run away.

That was until he heard a huge thud from a few doors away.

Giving a frightened yelp, Sasuke sprinted down the hall, and to the double doors, faltering a few times. He stopped in front of them, his hands reaching out for the handles.

He was too terrified to move as he grasped the handles, his palms slick with sweat. His stomach was flopping in his stomach like a fish and he felt like he was going to throw up any moment.

He forced himself to shakily open the doors, his teeth gnashed together so tight they were hurting.

“Otou-san! Okaa-san!” He called out desperately as he ran into the room.

Blood was smeared across the floor, Sasuke’s heart shattering as he saw his parents bodies lie strewn about. Lifeless. Dead.

A single figure stepped out of the shadows and into the ray of moonlight that penetrated the room.

“O…On…Onii-chan?” Sasuke whimpered, backed up against the door that had swung close. “Onii-chan! Who did this?! How?! Why?” He started hysterically, his voice cracking and wobbling horribly.

He was cut off as Itachi threw a shurinken at him, the metal weapon nicking his shoulder and making blood spray into the air.

Sasuke opened and closed his mouth wordlessly as he held his shoulder.

“What are….what are you doing?” He breathed shakily as he stared at Itachi. Itachi shouldn’t be fooling around! He should be finding the person who killed mom, dad, and uncle and auntie! Itachi closed his eyes as he took a step forward.

“Foolish Otouto.” Itachi replied, shaking his head before his eyes slide open, the sharingan whirling. “Mangekyo Sharingan!”

The scream that Sasuke produced was heart shattering as Itachi forced him to witness the slaughter of his clan. A slaughter that Itachi had initiated.

Mom Dad, Uncle, Auntie…all dying before his eyes.

It lasted a few seconds before Sasuke crashed to the ground, his eyes unfocused, limbs splayed out, and drool trailing from his mouth.

Itachi walked over to him and Sasuke’s eyes widened at his presence, his vision focusing on his brother’s blurry image.

“Why…why?” Was all Sasuke was able to croak out.

“To test my abilities.” Itachi said, watching Sasuke’s form. Sasuke took a sharp breath before he suddenly shot up, lunging at his brother.

“DON’T FUCK WITH ME!” He screamed as he ran, his eyes alight with rage. He was stopped halfway when Itachi rammed a fist in his stomach, Sasuke doubling over and crashing to the ground from the force behind it.

Tears leaked from his eyes, trailing down his cheeks as he lay crumpled on the ground. This couldn’t be happening.

It was all a dream! Itachi wouldn’t kill everyone just to test himself! He wouldn’t!

Itachi shifted and Terror engulfed him.

Screaming, Sasuke ran out of the room, out of the house, and down the street, fumbling and tripping over his own feet.

He didn’t want to die! Please God! No!

He screeched to a stop, falling back onto his butt as Itachi appeared in front of him, looming above him.

“Don’t…don’t kill me!” Sasuke whimpered as fresh tears ran down his face. “Please don’t kill me!”

“I’m going to let you live…for my sake.” Itachi said as he looked at the trembling mass in front of him. “You have the potential to test my abilities, since you’ve always aspired to surpass me.”

“You can also obtain the Mangekyo Sharingan, once you do the requirement. You have to kill your closest friend.” Itachi relayed, Sasuke flinching as two blond kids popped to the front of his mind.

“No…no way…” Sasuke whispered.

“If you can get the Mangekyo Sharingan, the people who have obtained it will be three. And that will be a reason to let you live.” Itachi chuckled. “At the moment though, you aren’t even worth killing.” Itachi bit out as Sasuke flinched at the mere movement of Itachi turning.

“If you want to kill me, despise me, hate me, and live a loathsome life. Run away and cling to life, and when you have the same eyes as I do, come find me.” Itachi finished before his eyes swirled to the Mangekyo Sharingan once again.

Sasuke starred into the triangle design before he slumped, passing out onto the bloodied street beneath him.

~*~

“You have to let him live. I couldn’t kill him, I’m sorry. Forgive me. I killed all the others, I just couldn’t kill him.” Itachi apologized as he knelt in front of Sarutobi, head touching the ground. When face to face with Sasuke, he just couldn’t do it.

He couldn’t kill his younger brother.

“Itachi, what on Earth are you talking about?” Sarutobi asked in shock as he starred at the teenager in front of him. Who had he killed? What was going on?

The office door opened and Danzo walked in briskly, Koharu and Mitokado Homura on either side of him. Koharu and Homura were both Sarutobi’s previous teammates, and current council members.

“He was following orders.” Danzo spoke up as Homura closed the door so their conversation was secluded.

“Your efforts were futile Hiruzen.” Koharu continued sharply. “The Uchiha’s were going to start a war sooner or later and we had to do something.”

Sarutobi paled as a feeling of dread washed over him, his eyes riveting back to the still kneeling teenager in front of him as Danzo’s words from their last meeting rang in his head.

‘No. But maybe some force is required.’

“You didn’t…” He whispered, his eyes darting back to the trio of elders.

“We ordered Itachi to kill the Uchiha clan.” Danzo confirmed emotionlessly, Sarutobi’s face turning into one of rage as he shot to his feet so quickly his chair toppled over.

“HOW DARE YOU!” He roared, voice making the walls rumble. They went behind his back and ordered the slaughter of countless people!

The three however, were not intimidated.

“We had to take action and it worked.” Danzo said. “But it appears that Itachi let one live from what I heard.”

At this, Itachi’s head snapped up so quickly it was amazing he didn’t get whiplash.

“Sasuke is not a threat.” He said as he turned his head to look at the trio behind him. “He is only eight years old.”

“Everything doesn’t start out a threat. It turns into a threat.” Danzo said, his one visible eye opening to survey Itachi who was bristling at the talk of his brother. “The fact is Itachi, that you were ordered to kill the whole clan and you failed.”

“Orders aren’t final until I approve them!” Sarutobi shouted, getting back into the argument. “Sasuke is only a child! The rest of the clan is already dead Danzo, isn’t that enough for you?!” Sarutobi roared, banging a fist on his desk.

Danzo opened his mouth to speak, but Itachi rose to his feet and cut him off.

“If you try to hurt Sasuke, I will tell all of Konoha’s secrets to the other Villages.” He threatened, his eyes changing to the Sharingan, the tomoes whirling around his iris.

Danzo took a sharp intake of breath at the idea as Itachi just stood firmly in place. If another Village got their secrets, they could use it to their advantage and start a war. It would be dreadful.

“…Fine…” Danzo growled between his teeth, his lone eye glaring at the Uchiha. Itachi’s eyes reverted back to their onyx color as he turned back to Sarutobi.

“Please keep Sasuke safe.” He said, looking extremely tired and spent.

“I’ll do all I can.” Sarutobi promised, feeling horrible for the task that Danzou had made Itachi complete. Slaughtering his own family.

How horrible.

“I’ll then take my leave.” He said with a nod.

“To where?” Danzo inquired. It wasn’t like Itachi could stay in the Village after killing the Uchiha clan.

“I’ll become a rogue ninja. That’s all I can say.” Itachi replied before disappearing.

~*~

Sasuke woke up in the hospital bed with a scream. He panted as he regained himself, sweat trailing down his forehead.

“A…a dream?” He panted as he looked around himself. He tried to sit up but winced as pain shot up his arm. Lifting up his shirt sleeve, he saw the bandage, his eyes widening as he gently prodded the white material.

“From the shurinken.” He whispered. He felt sick as he looked around the room he was in again. So it did happen. Where was he? He pulled the covers off of him and walked down the halls, eyes darting around.

“Yes it’s true. He was the only one who was rescued.” A female nurse said as Sasuke peered around the corner. He flinched, her words stabbing him through the heart.

Only one. He was the only one alive. It couldn’t be.

“I heard he had an older brother.” The nurse she was talking to commented, Sasuke feeling like a hole had been punched through his heart at her words.

His brother.

A traitorous, murderous bastard.

“Yes, but they don’t know where he is. He just vanished.”

Sasuke took a step forward before he ran down the hall, past the two nurses who didn’t even notice he ran past them.

They had to be lying! It all had to be a dream!

He ran out of the hospital building, ignoring the nurse who called out to him as he went out the double doors.

He didn’t even register how many streets he ran down until he came to a stop in front of the Uchiha Compound entrance, yellow tape warning people away.

He batted the tape away, ignoring the rain that was pouring down on him, and walked into the compound. Memories berated him as he walked along, tears mixing with rain as he walked, face as expressionless as the dead.

~*~

“Ino, have you seen Sasuke-kun?” Sakura asked as she glanced back at the Uchiha’s desk. The platinum blond looked back at the vacant desk as well.

“No.” She admitted, the two looking at each other nervously.

“You think he’s ok right?” Sakura asked in concern.

“Of course. This is Sasuke-kun we’re talking about.” Ino reassured confidently, waving her hand. Sasuke was the best, nothing could phase him. Sakura nodded.

“You’re right.” She agreed. Ino nodded again before turning to the other blond female who sat in front of the two.

“But still…” She murmured before taking her pencil and poking Kyoko in the back of the head. The Namikaze blinked before turning in her seat to look at the two girls.

“Huh?”

“Do you know where Sasuke-kun is? It’s been four days already.” Ino said as she jerked her thumb in the direction of Sasuke’s desk. Kyoko plucked her lollipop out of her mouth as she looked at the desk quizzically.

“No, sorry. Why are you asking me?” She asked with a shake of her head, pigtails flying around her.

“Even though I hate to admit this, you’re closer to him then we are.” Ino ground out. “I figured you might know.” Kyoko only shrugged.

“T-t-try asking N-N-Naruto-kun.” Hinata stuttered from next to Kyoko, having unconsciously eavesdropped on their conversation. So unlike the Hyuuga heiress.

“Thanks Hinata!” Ino smiled before her and Sakura bounded over the blond boy, Kyoko unwilling to go over there.

“Hey Uzumaki!” Ino called as she slapped his desk to get his attention. He whirled around from his conversation with Shikamaru at the sound, eyes looking between Sakura and Ino.

“Y-yeah?” He answered uneasily. Ino was a scary girl…even for an 8-year-old. Plus, she didn’t usually talk to him.

“Do you know where Sasuke-kun is?” Sakura asked from Ino’s side, hand on her hips. Naruto just shook his head dumbly, the girls looking at each other before sighing

“Well never mind then.” Ino said as the two girls left him alone, Naruto watching them go in confusion. The two girls sat down again, disappointment on their faces.

~*~

Naruto was grinning to himself as he ditched the detention he had received for not paying attention in class. He jogged down the stone path by the pier, pausing when a flash of color caught his eye.

A boy was seated at the very end of the pier, feet dangling centimetres above the water. The Uchiha symbol was stitched into the back of his shirt and Naruto blinked as he realized who he was looking at.

“Sasuke?”

The raven haired boy raised his head up before slowly turning to look at who called him. Naruto flinched at the lifeless, hallow look reflected in his friend’s eyes. It disturbed him.

Without even thinking, Naruto was already clambering onto the pier, the wood creaking underneath his feet.

“Hey, are you alright?” Naruto asked as he crouched next to the Uchiha. Sasuke didn’t answer as he looked out in front of him, starring out into the water. Naruto bit his bottom lip as he looked at the boy next to him.

He looked so…unresponsive and lifeless. Like a zombie.

“You haven’t been to class in a while.” Naruto continued as he shifted, dangling his feet over the pier like Sasuke did. “Ino and Sakura were bugging me about it for some reason.”

Sasuke gave the faintest noise that resembled a grunt…but it could’ve just been heavy breathing. Naruto wasn’t sure.

“Man seriously. Are you ok?” Naruto asked again, nudging him with his hand.

“Go away.” Sasuke muttered, the words so quiet Naruto almost didn’t hear them.

“Eh?” Naruto asked as he blinked, trying to peer at Sasuke’s face.

“Go away.” Sasuke repeated again, his tone remaining flat as he continued to stare out into the water. He had dark bags under his eyes and his hair looked more unkempt then usual. Naruto’s face twisted into on of irritation.

“Well I was just wondering wh—“ He started before Sasuke’s hand jutted out and gave him a rough shove forward. There was a loud ‘splash’ as Naruto fell into the water, Sasuke not even flinching when droplets of water splashed onto his legs as well.

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR YOU JERK?!” Naruto sputtered angrily as he resurfaced, choking and coughing up murky water. The water in the lake was luckily deep enough that Naruto didn’t have to worry about hitting his head on the bottom.

Sasuke was also lucky that Naruto knew how to swim.

Sasuke just said nothing as Naruto tread water angrily, hair flopping in his face. Naruto growled when Sasuke didn’t respond.

“You know what? That’s it! You’ve made me angry!” Naruto declared before a single wet hand broke through the water’s surface. He gripped Sasuke’s ankle and Naruto actually saw an emotion break through Sasuke’s zombie like mask.

Surprise.

With a powerful yank, Naruto brought Sasuke into the water as well, the Uchiha resurfacing in seconds, coughing up water much like how Naruto had. Another emotion was displayed on his face. Anger.

“Dobe…” Sasuke growled as he pushed his hair out of his face. He couldn’t say anything else as Naruto splashed a huge wave of water in his face.

“That’s for pushing me in!” Naruto proclaimed with a huff. Sasuke glared venomously as he wiped the water out of his eyes.

“I told you to go away!” Sasuke growled, dunking Naruto’s head under the water violently with both hands. He let go and Naruto sprang back up like a spring, gasping for breath.

“I just wanted to know what was wrong!” Naruto snapped as he flicked a huge wave in Sasuke’s face, the Uchiha’s nose and throat burning as he coughed up the water. Sasuke returned the gesture vigorously.

“It doesn’t matter!” Sasuke snarled, now becoming angry at the blond for not leaving him alone when he told him to. He was riled up in a way that only Naruto could get him. Naruto wiped the water from his face before the two glared at each other, electricity rolling off of the two of them and clashing in the center.

In unison, they began trying to splash the water at the other, starting a battle as they fought to get the bigger wave. People passing by looked at the scene and rolled their eyes at the two boys playing in the water.

“It does too matter! Now tell me!” Naruto persisted, spitting out some water that had got in his mouth before using both arms to send a huge wave towards Sasuke.

“No!”

“Yes!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“Itachi killed my clan!” Sasuke snapped furiously, the words vibrating through the air. Silence fell over the area, Naruto’s glare vanishing in an instant. He blinked slowly before taking in the now thoroughly drenched, and still glaring, Uchiha.

“Oh…uh I….man I….oh…” Naruto fumbled, speechless. What was he supposed to say? What was anyone supposed to say when they heard something like that?

“I’m…I’m sorry.” Naruto managed awkwardly as he looked at the water just centimetres below his face, the image of his feet blurry in the water. Sasuke didn’t respond and Naruto glanced up to see Sasuke gone.

“Sasuke?” He called out before finding the Uchiha pulling himself out off the water, and onto the pier. Naruto swam back to the pier as well, the two having moved farther away from it when they started their battle. Sasuke stood up on the pier as Naruto pulled himself up, sitting on the wooden planks.

“Just…go away.” Sasuke muttered as water dripped from him, the droplets rhythmically hitting the ground below them.

Naruto opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as his shoulders slumped, watching as Sasuke walked away.

Sasuke’s family had just died. His whole family. He…needed some time to be by himself. It had to be horrible, and rough.

Naruto got to his feet, his wet clothing sticking to him awkwardly before he wrung it out, the water spilling from it in a small stream. Running a hand through his hair, he continued on his way home, proceeding with his plan to ditch detention.

It took only minutes for the blond child to arrive at his apartment building. When he did, he blinked as he saw a plump, red haired woman, standing in front of the entrance with her hands crossed over her chest, scowl etched on her face. She was scary.

Naruto gulped, backing away. It was the lady with the cat.

The one he turned green.

“I knew you would get home soon.” She growled, uncrossing her arms. Naruto thought about running then and there. Her tone suggested that something bad was about to happen.

Deciding to follow his instincts, Naruto turned, but she grabbed the scruff of his wet shirt.

“Hold on!” She snarled as Naruto lurched back to her. “I have to have some payback for my cat, Karimo!”

~*~

Sasuke tossed and turned in his sleep, head jerking every which way as his sheets tangled in his limbs. He jerked awake with a start, panting as sweat rolled down his cheek. He sat up, bringing a shaky hand across his face as he tried to disperse the images from his head.

He never got any sleep anymore. His nights were filled with nightmares that jerked him awake, made him wake up screaming, or made him roll off the bed. Once awake, he would be damned if he would try going back to sleep again.

To submit himself to those horrible images.

He pulled the covers off of himself as he got out of bed. The Hokage had provided him with an apartment since he had no where else to go, but he hated it. There was nothing here for him. It had no signs of life, of home, residing inside of it. It was an empty shell, reminding him of what he had lost.

He still expected everything to be one hellish nightmare. To wake up one day, in his own bed, and find out everything was just a dream. His parents would be in the kitchen when he walked downstairs, his mom making breakfast while his dad made the newspaper.

And Itachi…Itachi wouldn’t be a murderous bastard!

He flicked the lights on, changing out of his pyjamas as his nerves finally calmed down from their jittery state.

He looked around at his apartment and the hole in his heart seemed to grow. He couldn’t stay in this place. Not in a place that was so empty.

Not even thinking about what he was doing, Sasuke walked out of the front door of the apartment, and was soon out the building and onto the streets of Konoha.

It was late at night so the street lights were lit up, but hardly anyone was outside. The moon was hidden by big dark clouds, and there was a small breeze in the air. Anyone roaming the streets at this hour was most likely a ninja, returning home from a mission, going on a mission, or doing some late night training.

Sasuke didn’t think as he walked down the streets, his feet guiding him along the path. He walked for a good ten minutes, the passing time not even registering in his head. The worries of getting mugged didn’t even occur to him. He didn’t even care. If he was mugged, maybe the mugger would finish his brother’s job and kill him off.

His fingers twitched at the idea.

He continued down the streets, passing by stray ninjas every now and then. They all seemed like a blur to him. Before he knew, he was out of the main district, and in more enclosed parts of the Village.

Down one street, Sasuke stopped when he saw a very familiar blond male asleep in the street.

Why? He was taped securely to a lamppost. Naruto was seated on the ground, his torso engulfed in duct tape while his head was resting on his shoulder, the Uzumaki asleep in his weird position.

His snoring reached Sasuke as the Uchiha continued to stare at the scene before walking forward and nudging Naruto awake with his foot. Naruto grumbled something unintelligible as his eyes fluttered open.

“Huh? Wha?”

He blinked sleepily before his eyes found Sasuke, the raven haired boy still unfocused in his mind. Naruto squinted as his brain started functioning again.

“Sasuke?” He mumbled.

“What did you do?” Sasuke asked bluntly, jerking his head towards the blonde’s torso at the look of confusion he received. Naruto looked down and jerked awake as he saw the duct tape binding him.

Then, recognition dawned on him and the blond settled down.

“Oh yeah.” He started as he relaxed his head on the pole behind him. “That lady said this was pay back for her cat. You know, the one I turned green.” Naruto explained as he wiggled his toes in his sandals.

Sasuke gave the faintest nod that showed he knew who Naruto was talking about, before he made to keep walking.

“Hey! Hey! You can’t just leave me here! Come help me!” Naruto scrambled as he struggled against the tape, Sasuke’s back starting to get farther away. “SASUKE!” Naruto yelled, kicking his feet.

The Uchiha stopped, shoulders visibly slumping in defeat before the raven haired boy turned around. Naruto stopped shouting, perking up as Sasuke stalked back over in irritation.

In one deft motion, Sasuke grabbed a tab of tape and yanked, Naruto biting his tongue to keep from yelping in pain. Naruto’s eyes watered as Sasuke continued to rip the tape off, relentless in his procedure.

“Th…thanks.” Naruto managed as Sasuke finally stopped, wad of tape in one hand, and an ever present look of irritation on his features. Sasuke grunted in reply.

“So why are you out this late?” Naruto asked as he stood up, rubbing his sore butt as he followed the Uchiha who had started walking away again. Sasuke didn’t answer and Naruto frowned.

Sasuke was getting harder and harder to talk to.

Naruto just continued to follow Sasuke around, Sasuke not showing any sign that he acknowledged Naruto was there. They pulled into a street that was surprisingly alive with lights and chatter, Naruto freezing as he saw a group of people pull out of a building.

They had pulled out into a street of bars.

And for him, being who he was, that was always trouble!

“Sasuke!” Naruto whispered quickly as he grabbed Sasuke’s arm, pulling him to a stop. “Sasuke, we have to go. This is a bad place!” Naruto warned quietly.

Sasuke only starred at him, a brow quirking at him. Naruto looked panicky…scared almost.

“What do you mean?” Sasuke decided to actually voice.

“I just mean th—“ Naruto started.

“Hey! It’s the demon brat!” A man slurred badly as he wobbled out of the building, pointing at Naruto. A bottle suddenly crashed near their feet, glass shattering over the ground and causing the two boys to jump.

Naruto bristled and Sasuke suddenly felt he should listen to Naruto’s warning.

Naruto took a step back, hissing a warning to the taller boy. “Run.”

~*~
A Place to Rest by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 11: A Place to Rest

~*~

The two boys looked at the group of drunks who blinked, taking notice mainly of the blond boy. The famed demon child.

“Run!” Naruto hissed as some people began staggering forward, slurring words badly as they made some vague gestures towards the two.

In unison, Sasuke and Naruto turned and sprinted out of the district, Sasuke falling behind the blond who knew the Village like the back of his hand. Naruto wove between alley, scrambling over fences, and turning corners sharply.

At the sounds of footsteps on his tail, Naruto looked over his shoulder, afraid that some of the drunks might have caught up to him. Or they may not have been as drunk as they had let on, like so many times before.

He relaxed when he realized it was just Sasuke.

The Uchiha followed the Uzumaki all the way to Naruto’s apartment, that being the only time the blond stopped running. Panting for breath, Naruto opened the door to the small apartment and the two boys went inside, Naruto locking the door behind him.

“What was that about?” Sasuke managed to ask as he controlled his breathing, sitting down on Naruto’s worn out couch, sidestepping the clothes that were littering the ground. There were clothes here and there and peering into the small kitchen, dishes cluttered the counter and stacked high in the sink.

“That’s…normal…” Naruto panted back, still catching his breath. Sasuke shot him a look of disbelief, but otherwise said nothing as the couch creaked underneath him. His breathing returned to normal while Naruto’s body still struggled, disoriented from going to sitting on the ground to flat out running.

“Is not.” Sasuke grumbled under his breath. That run had actually made him exhausted again and he was fighting to keep his eyes open.

Naruto’s apartment, although it was cluttered, small, and messy, was more like home then his apartment was. A person actually lived here, called this place home.

The pain in his chest from losing his family lessened, as if his soul recognized that there was another soul nearby. That he wasn’t alone.

Sasuke’s eyes drooped as exhaustion engulfed him, and he gave in, letting it overpower him.

“We just need to avoid that area. They don’t like me that mu—“ Naruto started, as he slipped his shoes off before blinking in surprise.

Sasuke had his head pushed into the crook of the couch cushion, slumped in the corner of Naruto’s couch in an upright position. He was asleep, one foot on the couch with the other dangling over the edge, his hands lying loosely at his sides.

“Uh…Sasuke?” Naruto called out softly as he crept closer to his current companion. “Sasuke?” He called again, the boy not moving. Naruto frowned, looking around.

What should he do? He couldn’t just wake him up.

Naruto just continued to stare at the Uchiha for a few seconds before walking into his room, returning in a second with a blanket in his hand. Clumsily, he threw the blanket over the other boy, Sasuke’s foot still dangling from beneath the extra blanket.

Naruto held his breath when Sasuke grumbled and stirred, but Sasuke slept on and Naruto just went back to his room, unused to having company in his apartment at night.

~*~

The smell of food cooking brought Sasuke around, making his eyes crack open. He blinked sleepily, his vision trying to adjust to the unfamiliar scenery around him.

“Okaa-san?” He asked instinctively as he sat up straighter, wiping at his eyes. He hadn’t dreamt at all, but he felt recharged. One of the better sleeps he had had in a while. How long had he been asleep? Was his mom making breakfast?

“Uh…no…sorry…” A voice replied sheepishly, Sasuke’s head jerking around at the response.

Naruto was standing on a small stool in the kitchen, clumsily making some instant ramen. Sasuke barely registered in the back of his mind that it was two cups, one for Naruto and one for him.

“…Naruto?” Sasuke asked as he frowned in mild confusion. When did he get to Naruto’s house?

The blond waved a pair of chopsticks in Sasuke’s direction as a way of greeting as he watched the noodles cook. The Uchiha got off the couch, putting the blanket on the armrest as he walked over into the kitchen corner.

Disappointment filled him as he entered the small kitchen. He had honestly though it had been his mother making breakfast.

“What am I doing here?” Sasuke asked bluntly as he sat on the only chair in the kitchen. Naruto ignored him for a second as he judged the ramen was now ready and grabbed another pair of chopsticks for Sasuke.

“You fell asleep on the couch.” Naruto replied as he passed a cup to Sasuke who just realized that he was hungry as the smell of food entered his nose. “You know, after we ran from the drunks last night.” Naruto continued, setting his ramen on the table as he looked for a stool to sit on seeing how Sasuke was on the only chair.

Sasuke made a small noise of acknowledgment as the memories resurfaced in his head. So that was why he was here.

As Naruto returned with the same stool he had been standing on to get to the top of the counter, Sasuke pondered whether he should point out that ramen is not something that one usually eats for breakfast.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as a loud slurping sound next to him made him jerk.

“Geez. I forgot how loud you eat.” Sasuke grumbled in disdain as he saw Naruto inhaling his noodles. Was he even moving his chopsticks? It looked like it was all just flying into his mouth.

Not to mention he sounded just like a vacuum cleaner.

“I’mphf nof loufph.” Naruto argued, words muffled by the noodles in his mouth.

“What?”

Naruto slurped up the noodles, gulping down what was in his mouth.

“I’m not loud.” Naruto repeated with a frown, wiping away some of the broth that had splattered onto his cheeks. Sasuke continue to reprimand Naruto’s lack of manners, leading them into an argument as they continued eating their breakfast.

A sense of ease fell onto the raven haired boy as he continued to argue with the blond. He hadn’t shared breakfast with someone in days…like how he used to.

It felt…nice. Almost.

~*~

Kyoko walked out of her room, putting her hair up in pigtails as she went. It had been two days since Ino and Sakura had started getting worried about Sasuke’s disappearance, making it six days in total now that he’s been gone.

The two girls were starting to get really worried now, and had finally bugged her to death about checking up on him. She was the only one who knew where he lived.

Hari was out shopping for groceries, and would probably be back later. She would just have to make sure she was back before he was.

She took a step and froze as barking suddenly erupted behind her. Fearfully, she turned around to witness Fuji come whizzing around the corner, having been lying in the living room.

“AH! FUJI! NO!” Kyoko shrieked as she tried to jump away from the dog who was delighted at the prospect of going out on a walk. Kyoko tried to sidestep around him, flinching away from him when he got too close, but he was making it hard.

He was starting to get a little bigger, making it harder to outmanoeuvre him.

Especially with him dancing around her feet.

He continued to bark happily, oblivious to her distress as he backed her into the corner, Kyoko’s back pressed to the wall. She looked about ready to try and climb it backwards if she could.

“AHHHH! NO! No! Bad dog” Kyoko cried as Fuji jumped up at her legs.

This was it! She was going to die!

She wrenched her eyes closed, waiting for him to start biting at her. To rip her clothes, his teeth to sink into her skin and make her bleed. Pain and brutal death were eminent.

She waited with baited breath, teeth grit together.

She waited for a good two minutes, the barking stopping after a minute and a weight settling itself on her feet.

“F-F-Fuji?” Kyoko stuttered as she slowly opened one eye. The puppy was seated on her feet, his tail repeatedly hitting his back paw as he starred up at her.

Why wasn’t he attacking her?

Her other eyed open as she just starred at the black dog, her heart beating wildly in her chest. She couldn’t move her feet, thanks to a certain canine seated on her feet, so she was rooted to the spot.

Forced to stare one of her fears straight in the face.

She gulped, as her fingers twitched, itching to do something. Her heart felt like it was ready to crack one of her ribs with how hard it was pounding.

“Uh…” She stammered, wanting nothing more then to get the dog away from her. What was it that Hari always said to get him to leave?

“Fuji…go to bed.” She squeaked, voice cracking comically.

She jumped as Fuji whimpered, ears drooping. He raised himself off her feet, Kyoko just starring in a mix of fear, shock, and relief, as Fuji disappeared down the hall and into the living room where his bed resided.

She was amazed that he had actually listened to her.

Now released and able to move again, she scrambled out the front door, slamming it behind her. She put a hand to her chest, exhaling deeply as she calmed herself.

She regained herself, straightening up as she remembered why it was she was heading out. She needed to check up on Sasuke.

A part of her was a tad worry to tell the truth, but not as bad as Sakura and Ino.

“I’ll just drop by and see what’s going on.” Kyoko told herself as she walked down the street, the way to the Uchiha compound still in her head. The streets were more crowded then usual since it was the weekend, meaning that people would have weekends off of work. That gave them the opportunity to shop in the marketplace.

Which she unfortunately had to pass through to get to the compound.

She squeezed through the crowds, apologizing as she bumped into a few people here and there.

“Kyoko! Kyoko! Hey!” A voice called, the blond looking around in confusion, stopping in the middle of the street. Her eyes landed on a familiar platinum blond that was standing in front of a flower shop, waving at her.

“Oh, hey.” Kyoko waved back, making her way over to Ino. The Yamanaka was wearing a pastel yellow apron that looked too large for her, and her chin length hair was held back with a purple head band.

“Look, look, I’m helping my mom with the shop.” Ino proclaimed proudly, placing one hand on her hip and puffing out her chest. The words, Yamanaka Flower Shop, were printed clearly across the top of the apron.

“Wow, you guys own this place?” Kyoko asked, looking past Ino and into the shop. A bevy of colourful flowers met her eyes, Kyoko thinking the store looked beautiful.

“Yup!” Ino nodded happily, adjusting her grip on the bouquet in her other hand. “So where are you going?” She asked, her question drawing Kyoko’s attention back to her.

“Oh, I’m going to check up on Sasuke.” Kyoko explained, Ino snapping up straighter.

“Oh my gosh, really?” the other female breathed. Kyoko nodded and Ino frowned. “Darn! I’m helping my mom with the store! I can’t go!” Ino complained, shoulder’s slumping.

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you know.” Kyoko reassured, waving her hand at the other girl.

“Thanks Kyoko.” Ino replied with a small smile. Kyoko nodded before the two bid farewell and Kyoko continued on her way to Sasuke’s.

After going down a few more streets, Kyoko soon began to recognize the streets that led to the Uchiha compound.

Less and less people began to appear on the streets like usual, assuring Kyoko that she was on the right track.

She turned another corner and her eyebrows shot up into her bangs as her face twisted into one of confusion.

Yellow tape sectioned off the entrance of the compound.

“What the…?” She murmured to herself as she walked closer to the tape, reaching a hand out and touching the smooth yellow material.

What was going on? Could she still go inside?

“Hello? Is anyone there?” She called out, leaning forward to peer into the compound. “Hello?” She tried, louder this time.

The place looked empty. A complete contrast to the last time she had been there.

“Sasuke?” She tried this time, ducking underneath the yellow tape and stepping into the compound.

Her senses flared alive as goosebumps rose on her arms.

She felt uneasy as she took a few steps into the compound, resting a hand on the concrete walls that surrounded it.

She saw a splash of dried, cracked blood staining the walls in the distance and she gasped, a hand flying to her mouth.

Without thinking, she ran into the streets, cracks aligning the walls.

There was so much blood. Staining the walls, the ground, the sides of the houses. Broken houses, with shattered windows and missing doors. Glass was sprayed across the ground as if it was liquid.

Kyoko didn’t get very far.

She was frightened and her senses were telling her to get out.

Something terrible had happened.

‘So then…what happened to Sasuke?’ Kyoko thought absently, her eyes widening as that thought registered in her head. Where was Sasuke? He had been gone for six days.

“Is he…he can’t be…” She whispered to herself, pressing a hand firmly to her mouth, taking a step back from the bloodied street. Grief flowed into her, clawing at her sides. “Dead…?”

~*~

“Sasuke?” Naruto mumbled sleepily, walking out of his room. “What’re you doing here?” He yawned as he stumbled into the kitchen, his pyjamas too big for him and making him almost trip.

The Uchiha was standing in the kitchen, scowling at the ramen cups that he was cooking.

“Is ramen the only food you have here?” He asked emotionlessly, eyes not leaving the food. Also, unintentionally ignoring Naruto’s question.

Sasuke hadn’t been able to sleep last night, in his crappy apartment. With the creaking noises, and the bare walls.

So he had walked to Naruto’s, walked in because Naruto had left the door unlocked, and had spent the night raiding Naruto’s house until he got tired and fell asleep on the couch.

He got better sleep here then he did in his actual bed.

“Ramen’s good!” Naruto defended, now awake from the comment.

“It’s not healthy.” Sasuke retorted as he grabbed the now ready cups.

“What do you know?” Naruto huffed, crossing his arms as he took up the chair, leaving the stool for Sasuke. He snatched his food from Sasuke, the Uchiha wrinkling his nose, but otherwise staying silent as Naruto slurped his food loudly.

That’s when something in the living room caught Naruto’s eye.

His spare blanket. The one he had got out last time Sasuke had come over. It was folded over the armrest of the couch.

He had put it in the closest.

Which meant…

“Did you sleep here?” Naruto asked, swallowing the noodles in his mouth to make him understandable. Sasuke paused for a second before continuing to eat, as if Naruto hadn’t even spoken. Naruto frowned at how unresponsive he was.

“Hey, I jus—“

“Yeah.” Sasuke cut in. “I couldn’t sleep in my apartment.” Sasuke elaborated after another second, still not pausing or looking up from his breakfast.

Naruto let this news sink in before he asked another question. “How’d you get in?”

At this, the smallest signs of a smirk appeared on Sasuke face. Something that hadn’t happened in days.

“You left the front door unlocked.”

~*~

“Come on Kyoko! You promised you would tell me!” Ino persisted angrily as she stood in front of the other blond female’s desk. One hand placed on her hip while the other was placed firmly on Kyoko’s desk.

Behind Ino was Sakura, a pout on her face. She wanted to know about Sasuke-kun too.

“Come on Kyoko. Please tell us!” Sakura tried. Ino growled in frustration as Kyoko only shook her head slowly, her face hidden as she starred down at her lap.

After her discovery at the Uchiha Compound, she had asked Hari what had happened to the Uchiha’s.

Massacred. Killed. The whole clan.

And Kyoko was miserable. She had cried when she first found out.

From the very corner of her eye, she could see Sasuke’s empty desk. It almost seemed to stare back at her.

Tears pricked the corners of her eyes as her stomach clenched. It hurt to look at the desk. Sasuke wasn’t a bad person. He didn’t deserve to die.

“Kyoko, you meanie!” Ino stomped, drawing Kyoko’s attention back to the matter at hand.

Just then, the classroom door opened and the two females questioning the Namikaze perked up.

“Sasuke-kun!” They beamed, many other girls in class doing the same as they all ran towards the Uchiha. Kyoko’s head snapped up with lightning speed.

The Uchiha glared as all the girls began to swarm him, the females halting in surprise at his change of demeanour. Sure he hadn’t actually greeted them warmly, but this was a change.

But he was there.

Shock filled Kyoko as she rose from her desk, her mouth opening and closing silently. He made his way through the crowd of people, walking towards his desk.

Relief washed over Kyoko and it took her a second to realize she was jogging towards him.

Sasuke turned at the approaching footsteps, turning just in time for two arms to wrap around him in a hug.

“Hey!” Half the females in the room cried out angrily.

It took Sasuke a fraction of a second to realize who was hugging him.

“Kyo—“

“You’re alive…” She breathed quietly so that only they could hear. Sasuke stiffened in her arms before slowly peeling her off. Her eyes were dewy with unshed tears that were forming at the corners of her eyes, threatening to spill over.

A small smile was fixed on her face though.

“Hey Kyoko, what’re you doing?” Ino asked as she came over, head cocked to the side. Kyoko’s back was to her and Kyoko quickly wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Nothing.” Kyoko assured turning back to the other females.

They all shot her suspicious looks.

~*~

“How’d you find out?” Sasuke asked bluntly at recess.

The two were standing outside near the tree with the swing on it, other kids playing in the distance. Naruto was in the jungle gym a couple feet away, chatting and laughing obnoxiously as he played with Kiba, Chouji, and Shikamaru.

“I went to your house.” Kyoko started, Sasuke’s fingers twitching. “Ino and Sakura were worried about you and wanted me to see if you were ok.” She continued.

“There was blood and glass everywhere. I asked Hari-san and he told me that the Uchiha clan was killed.” She told quietly, clasping her hands together tightly.

She peeked up at him, Sasuke rigid, his hands balled into fists at his side.

“But…you’re alive. Maybe there are others who are alive.” Kyoko offered biting her bottom lip.

“No…” Sasuke ground out, shaking his head. He inhaled deeply, exhaling as he ran a hand across his face. “I’m the only one.”

Everything was still too fresh. He didn’t want to talk about it.

Kyoko nodded sadly, having no words of comfort for him. They stood in silence before Sasuke began walking away, Kyoko perking up.

“Where are you going?” She called out in concern.

“Training.” Was Sasuke’s one word reply.

~*~

The bell rang, signalling the end of classes. All the kids began packing up their things, Naruto just shoving his things messily into his hand-me-down pack.

“I’ll be back.” He said to Sasuke as he passed to boy who was still packing his stuff. He didn’t forget his promise to himself.

He was going to become friends with Kyoko again.

No matter how disastrous things got.

Sasuke just glanced as he passed by, watching from the corner of his eye as Naruto bounded over to where Kyoko was waiting for Sakura to finish packing her things.

Ino had already left, having to help her mother with the store.

He greeted the two energetically, Kyoko stiffening while Sakura just raised a brow at him. He talked to them before Sakura said something about them being in a rush and having to leave.

When he pestered them with questions, Sasuke could visibly see Sakura’s patience snap.

“YOU’RE ANNOYING!” Sakura yelled, planting a fist firmly in Naruto’s cheek with strength that no human could possess. Kyoko starred in surprise as Naruto went flying into the wall of the other side of the room.

Sakura just grunted, squaring her shoulders.

“Come on Kyoko.” She said haughtily as she grabbed Kyoko’s wrist and led the other girl out of the room.

It was even more amazing when Naruto pulled himself up off the ground at the base of the wall, rubbing his cheek.

“Ow! Ow that hurt!” He whined as his eyes fixated on the closed classroom door.

Then…another emotion formed on Naruto’s face.

One of…awe perhaps.

He had never met a girl like that before. She was so outspoken. And powerful too!

‘Sakura-chan.’ He thought to himself as pink spread over his cheeks.

Sasuke just rolled his eyes. Oh dear lord.

~*~
Four Years Later by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Yeah I decided to change things up a little, but it’s my story and I love it.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 12: Four Years Later

~*~

“Are you sure all our information is right?” A man asked gruffly as he came to a halt, the small radio piece in his ear buzzing lightly. The branch he landed on shook slightly from his weight, but still held, two more branches in the distance signalling that more people had stopped as well.

He wasn’t alone.

“Geez Yuki, stop worrying. This’ll be easy.” Another man reassured, his voice crackling through the ear piece. Yuki just shook his hooded head as he starred out in front of him. His goggles adjusted mechanically, focusing on the structure ahead.

The Konoha gates starred back at him in the distance, their great height making them visible through the foliage of trees.

“Besides, just think of the money.” The same man continued.

“Iki, maybe you should stop daydreaming about that damn money and pay attention.” A new voice reprimanded, this man’s voice surprisingly older then the others. Iki’s scoff was distinguishable in the ear piece.

“Pay attention to what Haru?” Iki asked sarcastically as Yuki began leaping through the trees again, this time at a slower pace. Yuki rolled his eyes. Here they went again. “There’s no one here.”

“Exactly.” Haru cut in sharply. “There isn’t much protection. I’m not sure if their just stupid or if they already detected us and set a trap for us somewhere.” He continued.

“Well I guess there’s only one way to find out.” Yuki replied, words of agreements coming from the other two as the Konoha gates began getting closer.

~*~

“Wow, I can’t believe the Graduation test is only five days away.” Sakura whispered excitedly. It was now their last year at the Academy and graduation was approaching fast.

“I know. We’re going to be ninjas soon.” Kyoko whispered back, a smile tugging at her lips. The seating arrangement had been moved around and switched over the years so that Kyoko was now seated in the back with Sakura while Ino was in the front somewhere with one of the guys from class.

“That’s only if we pass.” The 12-year-old pinkette reminded as she waved a small finger in Kyoko’s face. Kyoko’s smile grew as she swatted the finger away, the two trying to not attract too much attention to themselves seeing how class was in session.

“Please! I’ve been practicing all the jutsus they taught us. I’m ready for anything.” Kyoko assured, pulling out the lollipop from her mouth.

She still loved her candy too much, even after the years. Sakura opened her mouth to reply when she blinked and perked her head up.

“NYAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Everyone craned their heads to look out the window.

Naruto went running past the window, his body covered in various paint splotches varying in color. The offending buckets were held in his hands, paint sloshing everywhere as he ran.

But that big, goofy smile was stretched on his face as he looked over his shoulder where two Jounin men were chasing him.

“YOU BRAT! GET BACK HERE!” They yelled as they made to grab at him. Naruto continued to laugh, calling them ‘losers’ as he jumped over one and dumped the open paint bucket on the man’s head.

The bucket crashed to the ground while the man stopped in his pursuit, temporarily stunned, while Naruto continued to run, the other man still chasing him.

“That…that…”

Everyone’s attention turned back to Iruka who had snapped a piece of chalk in his hand, his right eye twitching.

“You all have a study period now.” He ground out as he went to the window, throwing it open. He didn’t hesitate to jump out of it, landing on the ground only a few feet below.

“NARUTO! YOU’RE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!” Iruka yelled as he soon disappeared, joining the chase for the blond prankster.

“He skipped class again.” Sasuke sighed to himself, only loud enough for him to hear as he rolled his eyes and continued doing the assignment Iruka had been teaching them.

The absence of a teacher let the class erupt in noise, everyone turning to talk to their friends instead of doing work.

“I can’t believe that idiot. What did he do now?” Sakura asked with a scowl, casting a glance at the window before turning back to Kyoko, who had been joined by Ino as soon as Iruka had left.

“Something stupid probably. I swear he’ll be the only one who doesn’t pass.” Ino sighed, shaking her head.

Kyoko just nodded in agreement.

She was still a little uneasy around Naruto. She couldn’t be with him when it was just the two of them alone. It brought back old childhood fears.

The years of him running up and greeting her, always turning up and asking her what she was doing, had whittled away her immense terror of him, Naruto Uzumaki. The loud blond prankster, she could handle.

But there was a side of him that she remembered so vividly that she had secretly nicknamed it. That was what truly plagued her.

The fear of the demon.

“How long do you think it’ll take Iruka to catch him this time?” Sakura asked, resting her cheek on her hand. It was Iruka who always caught Naruto. Like routine one would say.

“I give him half an hour.” Ino replied, Sakura agreeing.

“Nah, I’d say fifteen minutes.” Kyoko replied as she stuck her lollipop back in her mouth, twirling the stick with her fingers.

The girls watched the clock as they continued to talk, sharing their ideas about what their lives would be like after they became ninjas. Kyoko had still kept up with her gymnastics routine at home, under Hari’s command, and could do flips around anyone in class. Sakura and Ino had the same ideals of being the best kunoichi and dating Sasuke, to which Kyoko rolled her eyes.

The Uchiha was a mystery at times. He practically gave everyone the silent treatment, or some sort of blank stare. Well besides Naruto, but it was figured that they were best friends so it wasn’t so weird. Then oddly enough, there was her.

He talked to her strangely enough.

But she still talked to him on a regular basis since they were eight.

And because of that, the girls in class knew her as the girl who could actually get Sasuke to talk so if they ever needed to let Sasuke know something, they got her to tell him.

The classroom door opened and Iruka stormed in, a bound Naruto under his arm. Iruka had two paint splotches on his Chuunin uniform, probably from where Naruto had tried to fight back.

“Told you.” Kyoko whispered to the other two females, the two glancing at the clock.

Fifteen minutes.

“Ok everyone!” Iruka barked as he dropped Naruto roughly in the center of the front clearing. “Since Naruto decided to be a wise guy, we’re all going to go over the Bunshin no Jutsu (Clone Jutsu).”

Everyone groaned, Naruto especially. He sucked at that jutsu.

Iruka knew however that this was the jutsu they would need to perform to graduate from the Academy. It was more helpful for them to review this jutsu then to review one like Henge (Transform) when graduation was so close.

They all lined up at the front as Iruka untied Naruto, a little more harshly then necessary. Naruto rubbed his wrists as he walked into the line, lining up alphabetically.

He walked past Sasuke who gave him a quick blow in the side.

“Dobe.” Sasuke muttered at the blond for pulling a stunt like this. Naruto just glared at him as he fell into line.

“Teme.” Naruto growled back, close enough to the Uchiha for him to hear. Sasuke glared back. It was almost dangerous sometimes for their family names to start with the same letter.

Iruka began calling names out alphabetically by family name, the person going up and performing the jutsu.

Aburame Shino went up, performing the jutsu perfectly before falling to the back of the line. Whether he was happy or not was hard to tell. The bottom half of his face was hidden by his high collared, grey trench coat and his eyes were hidden behind round sunglasses.

Always had been.

Akimichi Chouji followed after him. He performed rather clumsily, but still got the desired result. The chubby child walked down the line, pulling a bag of BBQ chips out of the pocket of his green jacket.

Haruno Sakura waltzed up after a few others performed. She brushed her now long pink hair back, and squared her shoulders. Smoke appeared and cleared away to reveal two more exact copies of her, each wearing the exact, one piece red dress and green shorts she did.

“Yes!” She cried silently to herself, pulling a fist close to her side in an almost victory like pose.

Hyuuga Hinata timidly followed after her. The poor girl didn’t look up the whole time. Her short blue hair hid her face as she performed the jutsu, copies of her flickering to life before she walked down the line, looking like she wanted to shrink down into her huge beige sweater to hide from prying eyes.

“Alright! My turn!” Inuzuka Kiba whooped as he jumped forward, Akamaru barking from his spot in Kiba’s grey jacket. Kyoko’s finger twitched at the sound, but she didn’t respond any other way.

Not after Hari had got fed up with her, tied her so she couldn’t move, and set her in the living room next to Fuji’s bed.

She had panicked and freaked out for a good long while until she eventually grew tired and then calmed down, submitting herself to her fate. The most Fuji had done was licked her face consistently, sat on her, lay on her, or stolen her socks to use them as toys.

Smoke appeared, two more Kiba’s materializing, all grinning that fanged smile of his. The red tribal markings stood out vividly next to the dark brown faux fur trim of his hood.

After a few more people, it was Namikaze Kyoko’s turn.

She walked up, adjusting the lollipop in her mouth. Her hairstyle had remained the same since she was little, minus the fact that her hair, when worn up, had grown from shoulder length, all the way to her waist.

Worn down, it probably reached her butt.

Ino and Sakura had tried to tell her that high pigtails were a little childish now, but she just shrugged. They looked good on her.

She performed the jutsu, internally sighing in relief when two images of her came to life. They all wore the same light blue vest that stopped just under her small bust, a white tank top underneath that, with black pants.

After her was Nara Shikamaru who complained about the whole ordeal, making an effort to actually complain to Naruto about this being his fault. Naruto just shrugged the comment off.

The Nara grudgingly performed the jutsu, not even bothering to stay up for a second more then he had to before he walked away, scratching at his mesh shirt as he went.

After awhile, it eventually got to Uchiha Sasuke who didn’t say anything as he went up. He had stayed pretty much the same since childhood, minus the effects of puberty and what not. Though, he had traded in his black long sleeved shirt for a high collared, navy blue t-shirt.

As expected from the top student, he performed the jutsu perfectly, all three Sasuke’s looking equally bored.

“Ok, Uzumaki Naruto.” Iruka called out, a glint coming to his eye as the cause for all this came to the center, his shoulders hunched and his hands shoved in the pockets of his orange and blue jumpsuit.

Though it was hard to tell what colour it was supposed to be because of all the paint splotches on it.

“Yeah yeah.” Naruto waved off nonchalantly though inside he was having a mild panic attack. He sucked at this jutsu! Truly and utterly sucked!

He braced himself, placing his feet shoulders width apart as he went through the hand signs. Smoke appeared and Naruto looked around.

“Pfft hahahahaha.” Kiba laughed as only one Naruto was there, and it was sprawled out on the ground, strangely discoloured and almost sick looking. Naruto’s face reddened as he glared at the Inuzuka.

“Sorry hahahaha sorry man hahaha.” Kiba laughed as he tried to smother his own laughter to no avail. A few others joined him.

“Shut up!” Naruto yelled angrily, stomping his foot. “Just you watch! I’ll get better than all of you!” Naruto declared as everyone continued to laugh.

“Everyone, quiet down!” Iruka barked, everyone muffling their laughter at his command. It turned to snickering as Iruka commanded Naruto to go back in line.

Naruto stormed back to his spot as Ino past by him to go up, her long ponytail and purple skirt brushing him as they past.

~*~

Naruto walked around the Village, hands shoved in his pockets as he brooded to himself. It wasn’t fair! Why couldn’t her perform that jutsu? He had done all the hand signs right!

“Stupid jutsu. Stupid Academy.” Naruto grumbled under his breath as he kicked a rock, watching it skitter across the ground. He continued to kick it with the toe of his blue sandals, the rock doing little to satisfy his need to vent.

His hands and arms were sore because he had to clean up all the paint around the Village. He had only been successful in painting one of the faces on the Hokage monument before he was found out and chased.

Then after the Academy got out he had to change his outfit, and then clean up the paint under Iruka’s supervision, which lasted until the sun just started to set. And now, he was here.

If things continued the way they were, he wasn’t going to graduate.

And he needed to graduate if he wanted to ever become Hokage!

“AH! YOU PERVERT!” A woman screeched, Naruto jumping and looking around frantically.

Whatever happened, it wasn’t him!

A loud slap echoed through the air, Naruto cringing before jogging so he could turn the corner. He was treated to the sight of a very attractive woman stomping away from a white haired man who was sprawled on the ground, his left cheek sporting a very red handprint.

“SCREW YOU JIRAIYA!” She yelled, her auburn hair swaying around her angrily.

“Wait! No come back!” The man called out as he regained consciousness, reaching a hand out to the woman’s retreating form. She put more energy into her steps and the man hung his head dejectedly.

“Wow, what did you do?” Naruto asked nosily as he crouched down next to Jiraiya. Jiraiya stood up, dusting himself off as he tried to regain some of his dignity.

“None of your business.” He huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. “She’s over reacting.”

“She called you a pervert.” Naruto continued. “You tried to do something dirty didn’t you?” He said, a knowing smile crossing his face.

“You know what brat? You really—“ Jiraiya started, rounding on Naruto and prodding him roughly in the chest. He stopped mid sentence, blinking in surprise as he took in Naruto’s appearance.

“Good lord you grew.” The Sannin whispered to himself. He hadn’t seen Naruto in four years. He looked more and more like Minato.

“Eh?” Naruto asked in confusion.

Naruto’s memory of course wasn’t the greatest.

“Never mind.” The white haired man waved off. “As I was saying, don’t stick your nose in other people’s business!” He continued, poking Naruto in the chest again. “It was between me and that lady.”

“So you did do something!” Naruto cried as he snapped his fingers.

“It was all for highly respected research.” Jiraiya sniffed, turning away from Naruto. “It’s not something I would expect a child to understand.”

Naruto blinked rapidly at this. “Research?”

“Of course! I’m the Great Toad Sage Jiraiya! My research is very important and something that only adults can appreciate!” Jiraiya proclaimed as he twirled around and struck a pose, imaginary water splashing up behind him.

Naruto just continued to stare at him, a blank look on his face.

“Oh?” Naruto said, starting to lose interest in the conversation.

“Oh yeah, I’m famous. Here, I wrote this.” Jiraiya said proudly as he reached into the pocket of his red vest. He retrieved an orange book, the words ‘Icha Icha Paradise’ written across the front.

“It’s because of my research that I can write such famous novels.” He gloated.

Naruto took the book, looking at the picture on the front before opening to a random page.

“Hey!” Jiraiya cried out in surprise.

He hadn’t expected the brat to read it!

Naruto’s face then turned crimson so quick it was surprising he didn’t catch fire.

“OH GOD! WHY’D YOU WRITE THIS?! PERVERT! PERVERT!” Naruto yelled suddenly, book in hand as he began flailing about. Jiraiya flinched as people nearby looked at the scene Naruto was making.

“Shhh! Brat shut up!” Jiraiya urged as he clamped a hand over Naruto’s mouth, the other arm coming around Naruto’s neck and forcing him into a headlock.

Naruto continued to flail for a while, his words muffled by Jiraiya’s hand.

“I swear if you stop right now, I’ll buy you something!” Jiraiya pleaded, putting more force behind his headlock.

For the love of God! Women were starring!

Naruto stopped instantly.

~*~

“Wow, thanks! I was starving!” Naruto declared happily as he polished off his sixth bowl of ramen. Jiraiya’s left eye was twitching as he starred at the bowls Naruto had stacked in front of him, all empty and waiting to be paid for.

“You’re an extortionist.” Jiraiya grumbled as he reluctantly pulled his wallet out of his vest, paying for his one bowl of ramen while paying for Naruto’s six.

“It’s just what I needed. Ramen really picks me up when I’m down.” Naruto replied, ignoring Jiraiya’s comment as he rubbed his full stomach.

“What? Having a bad day?” Jiraiya asked disinterestedly as he rested his head in his hands. At his words, Naruto’s shoulders slumped.

“We have to know how to do the Bunshin no Jutsu for class but I can’t make a single clone.” Naruto confessed, a dark aura surrounding him as he hung his head.

Jiraiya smirked, lifting his head slightly.

Now that was actually something he could help with.

“Psh! That jutsu is only good for confusing people. I know a jutsu that’s even better then that one.” Jiraiya offered.

“Eh? Really?!” Naruto asked, head raising. “Can you teach me Ero-sennin?” He begged, eyes shining as he clasped his hands together in front of him.

Jiraiya choked in disbelief and shock at the nickname for him.

“Ero-sennin?!” He roared, standing up.

“Just for that, I won’t show you.” Jiraiya sniffed, crossing his arms and stalking out of Ichiraku ramen. Naruto fumbled to get off his stool to chase after him.

“Wait! Wait ,wait! I’m sorry! Please teach me!” Naruto pleaded, grabbing Jiraiya’s vest and tugging on it much like a child.

“Get lost.” Jiraiya said, pushing Naruto away.

But Naruto just jumped back, grabbing onto Jiraiya’s arm this time.

“PLEASE! I won’t stop until you say yes! Please please please!” Naruto continued, his voice going up an octave. A vein in Jiraiya’s forehead pulsed as he tried to ignore the blond on his arm, walking down a few streets, but it was getting harder as the seconds ticked by and Naruto got louder and louder.

“FINE! NOW SHUT UP!” Jiraiya snapped as he came to a halt in the middle of a empty street.

“Yes!” Naruto cried out triumphantly, pumping both fists in the air as Jiraiya sighed.

‘Finally. Silence.’ The Sannin thought.

“So what’s this jutsu you’re going to teach me? Is it something super cool?” Naruto rambled excitedly.

“Listen. I’m just going to show you the signs and how to do it, and then you have to practice on your own because believe it or not, there are things I actually have to do.” Jiraiya told as he put a hand on Naruto’s head to stop him jumping around.

“You’re just going to go be a pervert somewhere else.” Naruto scoffed. Jiraiya forced his head down roughly, Naruto yelping in surprise and pain.

“Now this is called Kage Bunshin no Jutsu (Shadow Clone Jutsu).”

~*~

“Man, that was almost too easy.” Iki chuckled through the ear piece.

“Pay attention Iki!” Haru snapped, the use for the ear pieces becoming useless as the three ninjas landed on the same rooftop, their figures hidden behind a water tower.

They had waited a couple hours for the perfect time to sneak in, timing when the few guards at the gate switched shifts.

They had met some interference, but had taken care of it quickly.

“I am paying attention you old coot!” Iki snapped, green eyes glaring as he shoved the small, elderly man. Despite his size, Haru held his ground, and gave Iki a firm smack in the ribs in turn.

“Knock it off you two.” Yuki commanded, reaching a hand back and swatting the two away from each other. “We have to find the right place.”

“Tch. We just have to find the one with Kimi. She said she’d contact us when she was ready.” Iki replied with a shrug. It was almost as if he took this whole thing as a joke. Kimi was one of their comrades who had snuck into the Village a month ago to help with their plan.

Deciding that they couldn’t stay in one place, the three began silently leaping through the roof tops, taking in their surroundings as they went.

After ten minutes of aimless wandering, a crackle went through all their ear pieces, signalling a new signal.

“Sorry guys. I was side tracked.” A female’s voice apologized, a hint of irritation in her voice.

“What happened?” Iki asked curiously as they all began heading towards the weak signal Kimi’s ear piece was giving off.

She gave a small growl.

“Some man named Jiraiya. He was hounding me, asking me all sorts of questions, and then he groped me!” She hissed venomously as the three men approached her signal swiftly.

Iki burst out laughing, almost running into a chimney.

“IT’S NOT FUNNY!” She roared.

They found her in an alley a couple blocks away from a rather big estate, her auburn hair tied up into a loose bun and her bangs sweeping over her left eye. By this time Iki was snickering to himself, trying to smother it with his hand.

She glared at him, a look that could’ve killed on spot. The copper haired male was unaffected however and continued to snicker away.

“So it’s the big house isn’t it?” Yuki asked, the tall man trying to get Kimi’s attention before she decided to kill Iki, forgetting that they were comrades.

“Yeah, it is.” She nodded, turning sharply away from Iki to face Yuki and Haru.

Haru squared his shoulders, his onyx eye glinting in the setting sun. “Alright, let’s do this.”

“I’ll go in through the second window on the right, Haru you go through the back entrance, Yuki, Iki, go in through whatever window you want.” Kimi instructed.

“But stay silent!” She warned as an after thought. They all nodded, Iki with an eye roll attached to his movement.

In unison, they all moved towards the big house a few blocks away, all their movements like liquid shadows.

As he went unseen over the Namikaze Estate wall, a ray of light caught the forehead protector on Iki’s forehead, illuminating the Iwa symbol.

~*~
Surprise Attack by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: I decided that I would explain something about Kyoko’s personality. Kyoko is one of those people who doesn’t realize how good something is until she’s either lost it or is close to losing it.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 13: Surprise Attack

~*~

Hari glanced out the dining room window once more. The sun was setting. Kyoko still wasn’t home.

She was twelve now, practically a ninja, so he knew he shouldn’t worry about her. She was probably at her friend’s house, maybe Ino’s or Sakura’s.

“But she could still have the decency to come home for supper.” He grumbled to himself as he looked at the food he had made. It was all set out on the table already and it was too much for him to eat by himself.

Eesh. He felt like a mother.

“Fuji! Come!” He called out. He wouldn’t be able to eat all this food by himself and if he was truthful, he liked to spoil the dog.

Seeing how Kyoko didn’t.

The dog hadn’t grown much bigger during the four years. He was maybe just a little taller then Hari’s knee.

Hari began eating, throwing Fuji bits of Kyoko’s meal that she wasn’t there to enjoy.

Fuji was eating a piece of meat before he stopped, head snapping up. His fur stood on end and his lips pulled back to reveal his sharp canines. A deep growl vibrated through his throat, echoing through his chest.

Hari stopped, food halfway to his mouth.

“Fuji?” He asked, before something gleamed outside the window and he jumped to his feet, the chair he was sitting on toppling over backwards.

That same instance, the window flew open, a man with copper hair pulled in a low ponytail flipping in through the window. He had a katana strapped to his back, and was dressed in a mix of black, brown and grey.

“Hmm, I don’t think you were who we ordered.” The man remarked as he cocked his head to the side, looking Hari over.

Hari didn’t say anything, grabbing his tanto sword swiftly from the sash at his side while Fuji began barking loudly, the noise booming through the whole house.

“An Iwa Nin?” Hari mouthed to himself as his eye riveted to the forehead protector on the man’s forehead.

Fuji ran towards the man, teeth bared. The man landed a kick to Fuji’s muzzle, the dog yelping as he went skidding across the floor and out of the room. With a single hand sign from Iki, a small rock wall shot up, keeping Fuji out.

Hari took that time to flash through some seals.

“Kaze no Yaiba!(Wind Blade)” Hari said as wind shot forth. Iki cussed as he dropped to the ground and tumbled out of the way, the wall behind him now becoming obliterated as chunks of it flew into the air.

Rolling back onto his feet, Iki unsheathed his katana as he came up by Hari, the Konoha ninja blocking the katana with his tanto. The weapons only stalled each other briefly before the copper haired man forced Hari back, Hari grunting before twirling out of the way, letting Iki stagger forward from the lost weight.

Iki however, wasn’t deterred, and swung at Hari’s middle. Hari launched himself at the wall, flipping over the blade and coming down on Iki with his tanto blade gleaming in the rays of the setting sun streaming through the dining room window.

Iki backed up, Hari landing in a crouched position before spinning up quickly, Iki forced to block with one arm when Hari’s tanto was replaced with a flat footed kick.

“Son of a…” Iki grunted from the impact. He then twirled around and aimed his own kick, catching Hari in the stomach and sending the older man soaring into the table.

It fell over with a loud thud, all the plates and food scattering over the floor.

Hari groaned as he starred at the ceiling for a second, searching for his tanto blade, Iki coming towards him. Outside the dining room, Fuji was barking like mad.

Iki walked over to the still dazed Hari and expertly, stepped on the bicep of the arm. Something akin to dark pleasure seemed to flash across the 22-year-old’s face as he applied pressure, a loud crack filling the air as the arm snapped.

“AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!” Hari cried as he withered in pain under Iki’s foot, blinding white pain flaring through his arm and making his back arc.

“Damnit Iki! I said to be quiet!” Kimi snapped, footsteps thundering through the house before there was a loud growl from Fuji.

There was a loud shriek of a yelp from the canine, the dog skidding across the floor before he fell completely silent.

“What the hell is going on?” Hari panted, crying in agony. He then flinched as Iki’s blade was centimetres from his face, the tip just barely grazing his face.

“We’re looking for someone.” Iki replied, as he inched his blade closer a fraction.

“Iki! Get rid of this damn wall!” Kimi shouted, a fist pounding on the stone wall Iki had erected. Iki’s eyebrow twitched, Iki using his free hand to perform the one handed seal needed to get rid of the wall.

It disappeared and Hari’s eye widened as Kimi stepped in, a small trail of blood leading down the hall.

She didn’t have a scratch on her though.

‘Fuji!’ He thought urgently.

Kimi’s cat-like eyes narrowed as she pressed a button on the ear piece, her gaze locking on Hari.

“We have someone in the dining room.” She spoke, ending the transmission before she entered the room with all the grace of a cat. Hari’s single eye riveted between the two.

Who the hell were these people? Who were they looking for?

Within seconds, two other men were in the room.

“Well?” Haru asked as he looked Hari over.

“He might know something. He is living here after all.” Kimi said as she crouched down and roughly grabbed Hari’s chin.

Hari’s eye glinted and his hands, even the slightly useless one, flashed through quick hand signs.

“Katon: Karyuu Endan! (Fire Style: Fire Dragon Flame Blast)” He shouted before a stream of flames jutted from his mouth, taking the form of a dragon.

Kimi made the most inhumane noise as she was engulfed by the fire, the smell of burning flesh filling the air as the fire dragon consumed the room, the others frantically trying to find a place to escape to while Hari scrambled back and out into the hall, disentangling himself from Kimi’s burnt form.

He rounded down one of the many hallways, holding his limp right arm as he stumbled.

Then pain exploded in the back of his head, his body crashing into the ground, the floorboards seeming to part at his contact.

Yuki had smoked him with the gauntlets on his hands. The bottom of his beige cloack was charred, but he was overall, unhurt from the fire dragon attack.

Hari pulled himself up awkwardly, coughing up blood as his vision swam. The room looked like it was rocking as he tried to stand up, his head pounding and feeling too heavy for his body.

He turned around.

He didn’t get the chance to do anything as Haru jumped up and kicked him in the chest, sending him skidding backwards.

“Do it!” Haru instructed. Yuki fisted his hands together before bringing them down with a loud crack on Hari’s skull.

Hari went down and didn’t get up.

Iki came stumbling out of the dining room, the mentioned room filled with smoke and smouldering flames now. His left side was burned, but not third degree. He had just been able to get away.

“Fuck! That bastard!” He cussed as he hobbled over to them. “Did you kill him?” He spat.

“No. He might be out of it for awhile though. We smoked him pretty good.” Yuki explained as he bent down and picked up Hari’s limp body.

“Well then why don’t we kill him?” Iki spat furiously, glaring at Hari. That man had just killed Kimi!

“We need to pump him for information.” Yuki continued as he slung Hari’s body over his shoulder. “You know how it is, complete the missions first. Then we’ll deal with personal vendettas.”

Iki snorted. “And what’s this ‘mission’ then?”

The other men all glared daggers at him.

Iki matched their looks, but the action sent pain shooting through him, making him wince.

~*~

Kyoko hummed happily as she walked home from Ino’s, a bag of gummy worms in her hands. That was one of the reasons why she liked going to Ino’s. Ino had figured out to prepare for Kyoko’s unnatural addiction to sugar and sweets, and so had stocked up on candy for when Kyoko came to visit.

“I’ll have to apologize to Hari-san for not being home for dinner.” Kyoko mused out loud. She had headed to Ino’s to help the blond prepare for the upcoming graduation test, Ino surprisingly needing some help with her chakra control.

The Yamanaka was too proud and stubborn to ask Sakura for help, who would’ve probably been the wiser choice seeing how she had better grades. Kyoko didn’t mind helping though.

Then the time flew by and Kyoko ended up staying at Ino’s for dinner.

She popped another gummy worm in her mouth as the house came into view. She opened the front door, stepping inside. Fuji would come running around the corner at any minute.

“I’m home!” She called into the darkness as she stepped inside the house, instinctively flicking on the front hall lights.

That’s when the most horrible smell hit her, making her back track a few steps.

She placed a hand over her nose, her eyes watering from the putrid smell.

What the hell was that?

“Hari-san?” She called out as she stepped out of her shoes, padding towards the light coming from the dining room.

There was no answer and Kyoko began to get worried. Fuji hadn’t even come to greet her, to see who was at the door.

Now that was weird.

She shoved her bag of gummy worms into the pocket of her small vest, using her other hand to lightly trace the wall.

She rounded down one of the many halls and froze. Her stomach clenched as her feeling of worry doubled, her heart beat starting to double its pace.

The floorboards were upraised, broken and jagged. In the center of the broken heap was a tiny spatter of blood.

“HARI-SAN!” Kyoko called out urgently now as she raced down the hall, towards the dining room.

What happened?

She came to another hall, the dining room at the other end. Her eyes were practically burning as the smell intensified.

Something black caught her eye and she skidded to a stop.

Her eyes widened as she realized what it was, a shaky hand reaching out to touch the blood slicked fur.

Fuji was lying motionless at the base of the wall, blood pooling around him and making his fur an even darker shade of black.

“F-Fuji…” She whispered as she ran her hand through his fur once again. Sure she had been scared of him, but she had just been learning to tolerate him. And she could see how much Hari loved him.

But seeing the very injured animal brought out the maternal instincts in her…

A very weak pulse vibrated back into her finger, her eyes widening as she gasped.

“Oh my god! Fuji!” She called out as she placed her hand fully against the dog’s side. He was barely breathing but he was alive. She carefully wrapped her arms around the dog, gently picking him up in her arms though she grunted under his weight.

The child part of her mind told her that dogs were scary and to be afraid of him.

‘He’s almost dead. How’s he going to hurt me?!’ Her logic thought back against her instincts as her arms and chest got coated with blood.

Her nose wrinkled as she now left her face unprotected against the smell.

But still worried about Hari, she continued down the hall, staggering under Fuji’s weight.

Reaching the dining room, she began coughing as trails of smoke curled around her, making her close her eyes for a second.

“Hari-san!” She continued to call out as she walked carefully into the room, opening her eyes slowly against the smoke. Her foot hit something and she looked down.

A shriek ripped from her mouth as she nearly fell backwards in fright, her pulse now sky rocketing.

Her foot had hit a charcoal black hand, which was connected to an equally burnt body. This was the source of the smell.

The body was bent as if it was withering in pain.

“Har…Hari-san…” Kyoko whispered in shock, feeling like a bucket of ice got thrown over her, making it hard to breath. Her mouth opened and closed wordlessly as she just starred at the burnt body.

“No…no it can’t be.” She sobbed as tears formed in her eyes. She suddenly felt very weak, swaying where she stood as Fuji became extremely heavy in her hands.

It couldn’t be Hari! It just couldn’t!

She sobbed as the tears spilled over from her eyes and fell down her face. She continued to sob, her frame shaking as she wobbly began walking backwards, gripping Fuji to her chest.

That’s when she saw the melted Iwa forehead protector melded to the bodies’ upper arm.

She sniffed, her sobs decreasing in volume as she blinking in confusion.

“…Iwa…” She sniffed, blinking back any tears that had threatened to come. As if that one word actually opened her eyes to logic, Kyoko realized something.

The body on the ground was too small to be Hari.

Hari was much taller, and broader too.

‘An attacker maybe?’ Her thoughts reeled as she was reduced to mere sniffles, her heart still pounding in her chest. Her eyes, still opened by logic, surveyed the room. The table was overturned, and only half of it remained. The other half was only embers, smoke rising softly from it and leaving through the open window.

There was a huge gash in one of the charred walls, and the other wall was missing a chunk, the pieces of plaster sprayed out across the equally charred floor.

There had definitely been a fight.

Desperate, Kyoko continued her search for Hari, praying desperately that the burned Iwa Nin had been the only attacker. As she searched, guilt merged inside her along with her desperation, panic, and grief.

If she had come home right after the Academy instead of going to Ino’s, maybe she could’ve helped fight off the attacker. Or attackers. Maybe she could’ve helped.

Angry tears began to cluster in her eyes as she turned up empty handed.

Damn! Why hadn’t she been there?!

~*~

Kyoko followed the ANBU down the street as she continued to hold onto Fuji, her arms starting to grow sore from his weight. The weak thrum of his pulse was the only reassurance that he was alive.

She had called the Hokage tower from the phone in the living room, and had informed them of the situation at her house. Two ANBU members had arrived at her house to investigate while she waited at the front door for them, heart still pounding the whole time.

When they arrived, she begged one of them to take her to a vet for Fuji. She had been surprised they had understood her because her voice was trembling the whole time she spoke.

They had been walking for quite some time now, but Kyoko’s mind was elsewhere.

Was Hari even alive? Or was he dead now? What the hell had happened anyways? Why hadn’t she been there? Maybe she could’ve done something to help!

“We’re here.” The ANBU said, Kyoko’s red eyes raising to the building in front of her. She blinked slowly as she recognized the Inuzuka symbol carved into a piece of wood hanging by the front door.

“It’s the best place for dogs.” The ANBU continued before he walked forward and knocked on the door, Kyoko looking around the compound rather uneasily.

Just because she was starting to tolerate one dog, didn’t mean a person could throw her into the lion’s den and expect her to be fine.

The door opened and a woman filled the door frame, her brunette hair a mess of wild spikes. Kyoko had no doubt in her mind whatsoever that she was Kiba’s mother. Their hair color was the same, their eye color, even those fangs in their mouth.

All the same.

“Yeah?” Inuzuka Tsume asked as she leaned against the frame, crossing her arms over her chest. “What do you—“ She started before her nose twitched.

The scent of blood hit her like a blow to the stomach and her eyes riveted to the source instinctively. Kyoko jumped at the woman’s sudden attention.

“Uh…uh…can you help me?” Kyoko stammered. She might as well have not of even bothered talking. Tsume was already moving towards the injured dog.

“Oh my…what happened?” Tsume asked quickly, taking Fuji from Kyoko’s hands and ushering the two inside. Kyoko turned to glance at the ANBU, but he was no longer there.

He probably figured he could return back to the Namikaze estate since he had delivered her to the Inuzuka’s safely.

“I’m not exactly sure.” Kyoko confessed as she followed the woman inside the house, shutting the door behind her.

Now that Fuji was out of her arms, she could see the front of her again.

The complete front of her shirt was drenched in blood, the bandages she always wore, and the skin on her arms, coated in the warm liquid as well. It was amazing the poor mammal hadn’t died of blood loss.

“I found him like this when I came home.” Kyoko continued as Tsume walked briskly into through a series of rooms until she reached the right one, Kyoko following after her all the while. In that room was all the equipment that vets required. There, Tsume placed Fuji on a table, Kyoko watching anxiously.

“HANA!” Tsume yelled suddenly, startling the blond.

There were some footsteps before another brunette female poked her head in the doorway, her long hair pulled back in a ponytail. She was older than Kyoko though…seventeen maybe.

“We have a patient here.” Tsume instructed, a serious look passing over Hana’s face. She came over to her mother’s side, looking over at Fuji while Tsume flashed Kyoko the Inuzuka’s famed, fanged smile.

“You can go wait out in the other room.” She instructed.

Kyoko looked unsure, gaze flashing between the two females and Fuji, Hari’s beloved dog.

Hana nodded towards her and Kyoko reluctantly stepped back out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

It clicked, cutting her off from the two woman with whom she had entrusted Fuji to. She could hear their voices as they began whispering to each other, but they were muffled and undistinguishable by the wood of the door.

Slowly, Kyoko trudged over to a small nearby stool, set up next to a desk with a phone on it.

She sunk onto the stool with a look of defeat on her face.

This was all she could do. Her life had taken a turn for the worse in just one night. This morning she had woken up and everything had been fine. She had been happy.

‘But in the life of a ninja, happiness isn’t secure. It can be snatched away at any opportunity.’ She told herself bitterly as she rested her elbows on her knees, putting her face into her hands.

They told you that when you were in the Academy, making sure you knew what it meant to be a ninja. It meant that you could die in your missions. It meant that you were forced to make sacrifices and kill. To kill anyone, no matter what age or race. If you were ordered to do it, you do it. It meant that it was a miracle if you lived to be older then 35-years-old.

Reciting everything that the Academy had told her only made the cold feeling in her chest worsen as she ground her hands into her face harder, teeth gritting together sharply.

She hated this.

She sat in that same position as the minutes ticked by, eventually an hour passing without her noticing the difference.

There were occasional footsteps echoing through the house, a single pair growing softly closer to the blond.

She lifted her head from her hands as they approached her, warm breath tickling her skin. Exhausted, depressed eyes starred into big amber eyes of a German shepherd. She flinched violently at how close he was, the stool threatening to rock back from the movement while the dog took this opportunity to sniff at her.

He shoved his muzzle into her blood soaked chest, sniffing deeply at the scent as Kyoko’s face flushed and she tried to push his face away.

He retracted before arching his head back and barking loudly. Kyoko froze at the noise as the dog continued to bark.

A boy’s voice responded, as if the dog was actually talking to him. “Company? What’re talking about?” He asked before heavier, human, footsteps began making their way towards the source of the noise.

The dog barked some more.

“Alright! I heard you.” The boy snapped before Kiba rounded the corner, Akamaru trotting along at his side. The German shepherd stopped at his appearance, sitting where he stood.

Kiba’s face turned into one of surprise before one of confusion as he recognized Kyoko sitting there.

“What are you doing here?” He asked as he walked over, a frown on his face.

He thought she was scared of dogs. She was one of the last people he would ever expect to see in his house.

“Fuji’s hurt…” She replied quietly as she cast a glance over to the still shut door where Fuji was contained. “I was guided here to help him.”

“Fuji?” Kiba asked as the German shepherd nudged Kiba’s hand, the Inuzuka complying with the silent command and scratching the big dog’s head.

“My dog.” She elaborated as her hands fisted the material of her pants. The now dry blood felt tight on her skin from the movement, caked to her hands.

“You’re covered in blood!” Kiba pointed out, as if he just noticed. Which he did.

“Fuji’s.” She replied weakly. Kiba’s brow furrowed now in concern.

“What happened?”

The Namikaze just shook her head stubbornly, pigtails swaying around her. “I don’t know.” She muttered. She didn’t know. Damnit, she didn’t know! She had no clue what had happened, why it happened! Where Hari was…

There were so many questions…

Frustrated tears threatened to bubble to the surface but she fought them down, fingernails digging into her palms so badly it was starting to hurt.

“I’ll get you something to wash up with.” Kiba offered as he ran a hand through his hair, his hooded jacket not on his person at the moment. She barely remembered nodding, Kiba disappearing and returning with a wash cloth as Kyoko washed away all the blood she could.

The door creaked open and the two Academy students turned their heads in its direction. Tsume poked her head out and Kyoko stood up, her eyes searching the older woman’s face.

Tsume grinned and a sigh of relief whooshed out of Kyoko in one big breath.

“You can come see him if you want.” Tsume offered. Kyoko nodded and walked into the room, Kiba making to follow but Tsume pushed him out, Kiba shouting in surprise as his own mother shut the door in his face.

~*~

“Graduations tomorrow! Are you sure you’re ready Ino-pig?” Sakura sneered at the platinum blond who sneered back in reply.

“Oh please forehead. You should be worried about yourself.”

“Psh! Yeah right!” Sakura laughed as she flicked a strand of pink hair over her shoulder.

“What about you Kyoko?” Sakura asked as she turned and nudged the silent blond in the shoulder. Kyoko blinked, raising her head.

“Huh? ...Sorry I wasn’t paying attention…” Kyoko admitted as she twirled a strand of her hair in her fingers.

Ino frowned at this information.

“You’ve been zoning out a lot lately.” Ino pointed out, cocking her head to the side. Kyoko only nodded in agreement.

“Right…sorry.” She apologized. She gave her head a small shake before forcing a small smile onto her face, the smile not quite reaching her eyes. “So what were we talking about?”

The girls continued to talk to each other as Naruto came strutting into the room. The smile on his face was so huge, it reduced his eyes to mere slits.

It took all his energy to not cry out in joy at that moment. A few kids shot him worried glances at his overflowing energy. He continued to strut past them, taking up his seat. He leaned back in the chair, forcing it on its back legs as he propped his feet up on his desk, hands folding behind his head.

“What’re you so happy about?” Sasuke asked, his arms folded casually over his chest like usual.

Naruto’s grin grew even wider if that was possible.

“I mastered it!” He declared proudly, chest puffing out in delight. Sasuke’s eyes narrowed slightly, the only sign of his confusion.

“Mastered it?” He repeated.

“Uh huh! The jutsu Ero-sennin taught me.” Naruto boasted. He was tired, shadows under his eyes and clothes slightly dishevelled. He had been practicing that damn thing non-stop for two days now.

It was surprisingly easier for him to grasp then the normal Bunshin no Jutsu.

“I’m going to pass for sure now!” Naruto declared as he unclenched one fist, only to pump it happily in the air. No matter what the Academy threw at him, he had a kickass jutsu which boosted his worst technique, and he wasn’t horrible in too many subjects!

He would pass this year. He just knew it.

~*~
Graduation by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 14: Graduation

~*~

Kyoko inhaled as she closed her eyes, focusing on the task at hand. She focused on breathing before her eyes snapped open and she ran forward. She jumped up with all her energy, reaching the high bar easily.

The muscles in her arms worked with remembered strain as she flipped upright in the air, holding herself suspended for ten seconds before flipping over the bar, the momentum bringing her up for another flip.

She let go of the bar, flipping in the air and catching the bar once more. She did one more flip, legs together, before letting go and catching the smaller bar.

She continued her routine, switching her hand positions as she flew through the air. As she fell into routine, she forgot about her predicament.

Fuji was staying at the Inuzuka’s to recover for awhile while Kyoko was permitted back in her house. The burned body, and any evidence of it, was gone, taken to the Hokage tower.

The Hokage had been kind enough to hire a small team of ninjas to fix the rooms up for her, ranking it a D mission. They had finished quickly, and the place was good as new. The Hokage had also sent out a search team for Hari, having promised to let Kyoko know if they found anything.

But Kyoko forgot all this as she flew off the bars, landing perfectly on her feet. She grinned to herself, glancing at her hands momentarily. Her hands and her feet were calloused from having done this so often.

Finished with the uneven bars, Kyoko went onto the balance beam, placing one foot in front of the other. This had always been a bit of a challenge for her. She was a bit clumsy and when it came for her to flip off the beam, she always smoked her head on it.

Hoping for the best, Kyoko began, placing her hands back onto the beam and flipping backwards. She felt her spirits rise as her feet kept hitting the solid beam, her flips consistent.

The end of the board was coming. Oh if she could do this Hari would be so proud!

‘Hari-san…’

She froze up and her feet hit the beam much harder then intended, her legs shaking as mild pain shot up them as she toppled off the beam. Thankfully, her instincts kicked in and she landed on her side properly, even though the mats Hari had bought were still in place.

“Settle down. They’ll find something.” She told herself as she picked herself off the mats. She got up on the beam again, but this time, she couldn’t even do two flips, her feet missing the beam and sending her hitting her butt on the beam rather painfully.

She managed to do that a few more times, bruising her tail bone.

She knew deep down, her concentration was shot.

~*~

“Is this a bad time?” Jiraiya asked as he came into Sarutobi’s office, said Sandaime was for once, starring out the window. At the familiar voice, Sarutobi turned his chair around.

He looked tired.

“I figured you would be in the Village somewhere.” Sarutobi sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. Jiraiya blinked as he shut the door behind him.

So Sarutobi wasn’t surprised to see him…that’s a first.

“Why would you think that?” Jiraiya asked as he came over to the desk, a frown setting over his face.

“Iwa nins snuck into the Namikaze house.” Sarutobi told solemnly. He didn’t have to look up to see the flash of emotion shooting across Jiraiya’s face. Surprise, worry, and then anger.

“Fuck! What happened? I knew it!” Jiraiya snapped, black eyes ablaze as he now seemed to bounce on the balls of his feet, eager to dash out of the office and find those stupid Iwa bastards. He had heard a small rumour that a group had left towards Konoha, and so he had left as well, heading towards his home Village.

“Settle down. Kyoko’s fine.” Sarutobi placated as he held up his hand. That only seemed to settle the white haired Toad Sage a little.

“They snuck into the house while Kyoko was at a friend’s house, so they took Hari away forcibly for questioning…we believe.” He confided as he laced his fingers together in front of his face, eyes on the surface of the desk.

Jiraiya continued to cuss colourfully as he began pacing around the small rotund office.

“We’re doing all we can to track them down at the moment.” Sarutobi continued. Jiraiya growled, running a hand through his hair.

“Yeah ok.” He mumbled before sighing. “I’ll stay in the Village for awhile longer. In case those damn Iwa bastards decide to come back.”

Sarutobi nodded, giving his consent to the slightly taller man. In the meantime, he would make sure that the security was tightened along the Konoha wall.

~*~

“We will now start the final exam.” Iruka said as he held a clipboard in his one hand. “I hope you all are ready.”

“Yosh!” Naruto declared confidently as he slapped his hands together. He wasn’t scared anymore! Not with the jutsu Ero-sennin taught him under his sleeve.

He would do it this time! Not like those other two times he had failed! He could feel it.

“Shh!” Someone insisted, giving his chair a quick kick.

“When your name is called, head over to the testing room. The jutsu your going to be tested on is the Bunshin no Jutsu.” Iruka said as he looked out at the class.

Naruto blinked in surprise before he grinned.

Iruka was caught of guard when he saw the huge grin on Naruto’s face.

That was odd. The Bunshin no Jutsu was Naruto’s lowest jutsu.

Where was all this confidence coming from?

Pushing that thought to the back of his head, Iruka began calling names as he walked over to the entrance of the testing room, the names in no particular order this time.

One by one, kids began going into the room where Iruka and Mizuki would wait for them.

“I don’t see why we have to do it in a separate room?” Sakura whispered to Kyoko, catching the other girl’s attention. She had been zoned out again.

Kyoko just shrugged her shoulders.

“Maybe privacy helps people concentrate.” She offered. Sakura just frowned, tapping her fingers on her desk even though inside her stomach was flying with nervous butterflies.

She needed to calm down. She knew this jutsu inside and out. She could pass this thing easy.

“Hyuuga Hinata.” Iruka called out as the door opened, Misora stepping out with the Konoha forehead protector grasped tightly in hand. Hinata meekly rose from her desk and entered the room, her steps faltering nervously.

The time passed before the door opened again, Hinata exiting with the forehead protector in hand and her face looking chalk white.

Kiba passed, Shikamaru, Chouji, and Shino too.

“Yamanaka Ino.”

Ino stood up quickly, nearly fretting when her chair came close to toppling over. Only Kyoko knew how nervous the blond actually was about this. Ino tried to remain collected and cool as she went into the room.

Both Kyoko and Sakura waited, eyes trained on the door. When Ino came back out, she had the most smug look on her face that Kyoko couldn’t help the small smile that appeared on her own.

Sakura was next to go in, coming out quickly and dangling her forehead protector in Ino’s face.

“Cha! Look at that Ino Pig!” Sakura bragged.

“I’ve got one too forehead!” Ino shot back, shoving her forehead protector right back in the other female’s face.

“Uzumaki Naruto.”

The blond shot up with a shout of excitement that deafened the class. He looked about ready to explode as he leapt down the small steps, to the front of the room, and over to the door.

“If he’s anything like before, he’s not going to pass.” Sakura remarked as she took up her seat next to Kyoko, already putting her forehead protector on in place of her red ribbon.

~*~

Naruto stood in front of Iruka and Mizuki, bouncing on the balls of his feet as his eyes looked over at the table of forehead protectors, the metal gleaming in the light of the room.

One of those was going to be his.

“Ok Naruto…” Iruka started as he looked over the boy slowly. “Are you sure you’re ready?”

“Aw c’mon Iruka-sensei! Just let me go!” Naruto pleaded energetically. The two teachers shot each other knowing looks before Iruka sighed, his pencil ready in his hand.

“Ok Naruto. Start when you’re ready.” He commanded, nodding.

Naruto grinned as his hands flashed through the seals, Iruka’s brow rose as Naruto’s last seal differed from the normal hand seal needed for this jutsu.

“Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!” Naruto cried, smoke filling the room. The two older men closed their eyes, waving the smoke from their face before cracking their eyes open.

“How’s that?” Three voices chorused smugly, the echo vibrating through the room.

Iruka’s eyes bugged, his jaw slackening as Naruto stood between two other’s just like him, the one in the middle having his arms crossed over his chest while the others had their elbows resting on his shoulders.

His eyes were shining and his smile was smug, stretching the length of his face.

“How…I…what…” Iruka stammered in shock.

“You did very well Naruto.” Mizuki smiled, having recovered from his mild shock quickly while Iruka just continued to gape at the knucklehead student in front of him. The same student who was just inches from flunking every test there was.

“Alright! That means I pass right?” Naruto asked excitedly, his voice booming as his clones jumped into the air, hugging each other in joy.

“I believe you said Kage Bunshin right?” Mizuki asked as he laced his fingers together in front of his face.

Naruto just nodded vigorously.

At this tidbit, Iruka came around.

“But that would mean that the clones are…” He trailed off before taking a closer look at the copies.

They were solid. They casted shadows and were interacting with each other. They actually existed!

“That’s a very hard jutsu to master. I believe then Iruka…” Mizuki trailed off as he turned to look at the tan teacher. Iruka caught his eye and then looked over at Naruto who was holding his breath.

Iruka’s eyes then softened, knowing that Naruto was dying to hear his next words.

“Congratulations Naruto. You pass.”

~*~

Naruto came leaping out of the room like a bullet, jumping in the air.

“THAT’S RIGHT! LOOK AT THIS! I’M ON MY WAY TO BECOMING THE HOKAGE!” Naruto cried as he waved his forehead protector in the air violently, the piece of metal and blue cloth just looking like a big blur with how fast he was waving it.

“No way…Naruto passed?” Sakura whispered in surprise.

“Sakura-chan! Sakura-chan! Look! I passed!” Naruto declared as he bounded over, leaning in too far into her personal space and laughing like a mad man as he shoved his forehead protector in her face.

“DON’T GET SO CLOSE TO ME!” Sakura reprimanded, shoving Naruto’s face away from her.

He staggered backwards before continuing to laugh and continuing on his way. His spirits were too high to be brought down.

“Uchiha Sasuke.”

Sasuke rose without incident and went into the room, multiple girls wishing him luck as he passed by them.

“Idiots. There’s no way Sasuke-kun will fail.” Ino scoffed as she came next to her friends, her arms crossed lightly over her chest. As if proving her point, Sasuke returned in mere minutes, forehead protector already tied around his head as he exited the room.

“Told you.” She smirked.

“Namikaze Kyoko.” Iruka called.

Sakura gave Kyoko a tiny shove as the blond got up from her seat and went into the room as well, where the future path to becoming a ninja awaited her.

~*~

“Ok Kyoko, the Bunshin no Jutsu when you’re ready.” Iruka instructed as he found her name on his clipboard and watched her.

She nodded slowly, her eyes fixated on the desk the two men were sitting at instead of them.

She had to concentrate. She couldn’t lose focus.

She began going through the hand signs, her fingers feeling strangely awkward.

She had to pass. She couldn’t think about Hari or Fuji, or those stupid Iwa nins. This was all that mattered right now.

She landed on the last sign and she felt the flare of chakra leaving her to complete the jutsu at the same time she thought ‘Don’t think about Hari’.

The smoke around her cleared and Kyoko looked over at her sides.

She had one clone, but it was deeply off color. Everything about it was a deeply faded colour, and it looked like it wasn’t supporting itself, about to fall over any second.

Kyoko’s eyes widened as she quickly looked over at the two men who were frowning, their brow’s furrowed before Iruka wrote something on his clipboard.

“Wait! I can do better. You know I can! I did a perfect one in class the other day!” She pleaded, rounding on the two teachers quickly. Her eyes were desperate for them to give her another shot.

What the hell had happened? Why hadn’t it worked?

“Please! Let me try again!” She begged, clasping her hands in front of her. They looked at each other before Iruka nodded his head. She was one of the better students in class and he had witnessed her Bunshin no Jutsu before.

She tried the hand signs again as frustration and anger built up inside her making her teeth grit together.

‘Work work, come on, work this time damnit!’ She thought hurriedly to herself as she performed once again. The result was the same, if only a tad better.

It was standing straight this time.

But it still looked like someone had faded all the color from the clone, very very badly.

She fell into shock as her heart thumped loudly as she realized what this meant.

She had just failed graduation.

~*~

It felt like slow motion as Kyoko walked out of the room. Her face was one of shock as she walked forward, Iruka calling out Roku’s name. Everyone glanced at her momentarily like they had the others before a few actually did a double take, noticing the difference between her and the other people who had emerged from the room.

“Hey, where’s her forehead protector?” Someone whispered, the same whisper echoing through the room.

Kyoko tried to ignore them, but it was like they were shouting the comments to her as she stumbled to her seat. She had failed. Failed something she had known she could pass!

How could that happen?!

She folded her arms on her desk and buried her head into them, hiding her face from the rest of the class that was passing easily.

“Kyoko…hey Kyoko, where’s you’re forehead protector?” Ino asked with a frown as she looked at the bent over girl. Kyoko mumbled back why she didn’t have one and Ino’s eyes widened in disbelief.

“What? What?” Sakura asked, having not been able to hear the Namikaze. At Sakura’s voice, Naruto, and Sasuke even, walked over.

“What happened to Kyoko?” Naruto asked.

And for the first time, in four years, Kyoko didn’t try to leave at his voice or presence. She just stayed rooted in the same position she was in. Ino turned to all of them, laying one hand on Kyoko’s shoulder as she did so.

“She failed.”

~*~

“Remember, orientation is tomorrow!” Iruka called out as everyone left class. His eye caught Kyoko as she dejectedly packed up, her head bent and her shoulders slumped.

She had been the only one who hadn’t passed.

Her whole behaviour had worsened, the blond not even attempting to crack a smile the rest of class.

He felt bad for her, really he did.

She was a good student, always above average in class.

“Hey Kyoko, are you sure you don’t want to come with us for ice cream?” Ino offered, both Ino and Sakura waiting beside Kyoko’s desk.

They had originally planned to go out for ice cream to celebrate passing, but now they were changing their reasoning for going to cheer up the blond.

“No, that’s ok.” She mumbled as she closed her pack, slinging it over her shoulders quickly.

“…You sure?” Sakura repeated, the two girls a little surprised that Kyoko, the sugar addict, was refusing ice cream. Usually you would have to fight her off with a stick if you even mentioned anything that tasted of sugary goodness.

“Yeah. I think I’ll just head home.” She replied as she brushed past them.

Getting out of the building, she was greeted with the sight of happy parents and family meeting their kids who were now Academy graduates.

Kyoko’s shoulders hunched up by her ears as she tried to pass by them, loneliness and coldness settling in her stomach.

She made a beeline for the exit of the school ground when a hand reached out and grabbed her shoulder.

Startled, she turned to look at who had stopped her leaving.

“Oh…Mizuki-sensei.” She replied, relaxing as she saw the silver haired teacher.

“Hello Kyoko. Do you mind if I have a word with you for a moment?” He asked, flashing her a deceptively kind smile.

Her brow furrowed in confusion for a second as she nodded.

He gestured for her to continue walking with him, Kyoko complying as she kept stride with him.

“You see, there’s actually another way that one can pass the test and become a ninja. I know that you can pass easily, I’ve seen you in class.” Mizuki started, Kyoko straightening up at his words.

“There is?” She asked, Mizuki nodding in reassurance.

“Yes, there is. You see, there’s a scroll in the Hokage tower called the Scroll of the Forbidden Seal. All you have to do is learn a jutsu from the scroll to pass. Then when you’re done, just hand the scroll back to me.” He explained simply.

He looked over at Kyoko, his eyes narrowing slightly at the deep frown set on her face. She didn’t seem as eager to agree as he had hoped.

“Don’t worry, everyone knows about it. They’re just…uncomfortable about letting Academy students look at the scroll.” Mizuki tried to persuade cheerfully. “Trust me, you have nothing to worry about.”

“So all I need to do is get the scroll, learn a jutsu, and then put the scroll back?” She asked, unsure of the plan.

“No, no. You get the scroll, learn a jutsu, show me the jutsu when you hand me the scroll, and I let you graduate.” He explained, gesturing with his hands as he talked.

“Where will you be?”

Mizuki had to smother the smug smile that threatened to crawl across his face. “I’ll be in training ground six.”

Kyoko bit her bottom lip, thinking it over, before nodding her head.

~*~

Naruto yawned as he slowly pushed his bedroom door open. Night had already fallen in Konoha, and Naruto had fallen asleep early, deciding that he needed his rest for orientation tomorrow.

His bladder however, had decided to wake him up.

He ran a hand through his messy hair, smacking his lips as he trudged through his dark apartment.

He blinked sleepily as something shifted on the couch. He looked over and didn’t even bat an eyelash as Sasuke slept on the worn piece of furniture. His back was to the blond, a pillow and blanket that Naruto had found necessary to buy over the years, his only accessories beside the pyjamas he wore.

“Didn’t even hear him come in.” Naruto murmured to himself as he continued on his way to the washroom.

Sasuke still lived in his own apartment, his nightly break-ins having decreased dramatically as Sasuke grew older.

The Uchiha was finding that he could sleep more easily at his own place eventually, but there were those rare nights, maybe three times a month, that he just couldn’t for the life of him, fall asleep.

And so he’d come back here.

Naruto had picked up on the weird habit and had bought Sasuke an extra pillow that was always just sitting on the couch, the spare blanket always folded on the armrest.

Because Sasuke never told him when he would come by. He’d just be there when Naruto got up in the morning.

Sasuke shifted in his sleep as the bathroom door clicked shut.

~*~

At the same time, at the Hokage tower, Kyoko shut the thick door behind her as she deftly moved into the room were the scroll was kept. She moved like a shadow across the floor, not a single sound emitting from her.

“This must be it.” She whispered to herself as she crept to the huge scroll, the papery material of it looking a tad worn and old. That was the only scroll not shoved in a stack of boxes that lined the walls of the room.

This whole operation though, that Mizuki had told her about, she still felt uneasy about it all. Something just wasn’t right.

It almost felt like stealing.

Maybe it was.

Grabbing the scroll, she unrolled it then and there, looking at the first few jutsus as the paper spread out across the cold tiles below her.

The first couple didn’t seem to catch her interest as her eyes skimmed over them quickly, but she found the fifth one and she stopped, blinking before her head perked up, quickly trying to memorize everything in her head.

Jinkouteki Zetsumei no Jutsu (Artificial Death).

It was a very risky jutsu that allowed the user to stop their own heart, their body surviving off of chakra from the jutsu for minutes at a time. This gave the appearance of death as the user’s heart and breathing stopped, before starting up again when the jutsu ended.

It would fool enemies if she was every in a sticky situation.

Her brow furrowed as she read why it was so risky.

It took up a great deal of chakra and if it wasn’t done right, the heart could actually have trouble starting itself back up, resulting in heart damage.

Suffocation was also big, if your heart started back up, but your lungs didn’t. You could actually die in seconds.

Kyoko skimmed over the hand signs, storing them into her memory quickly before rolling the scroll back up. There would be time to practice later.

She strapped it to her back, the weight throwing her off balance for a second, before she made her way over to the door again. She grasped the handle before she picked up on footsteps down the hall.

Cursing to herself, she surveyed the room for another exit. There was no window, and this was the only door.

“Aw damnit!” She grumbled before her eyes riveted to the metal grate in the wall.

The air vent.

She starred at it before looking down at herself.

Would she fit?

She glanced back at the door before sighing in defeat. She let go of the handle, walking back to the boxes under the air vent and making herself a small stairway to her choice of escape.

Although Mizuki hadn’t said, don’t get caught, it just seemed natural.

Like a ninjas second instinct one would say.

She struggled with the metal front, cringing horribly as it creaked in protest before it popped off into her hands. The momentum of which it came off almost sent her careening backwards, Kyoko surprisingly able to keep her balance as she flailed about wildly like a hyped up monkey.

She awkwardly held onto the metal front with one hand while she used the other hand to slip the scroll off over her head, shoving it into the air vent before herself.

When it was a decent ways in, she set the metal front on a box below her, before she squirmed into the vent, her small frame fitting into the metal contraption and giving her just enough space to not feel the need to be worried about getting stuck.

“It’s a good thing I’m not claustrophobic.” She told herself as she pushed the scroll along, crawling through the vents.

The downside of taking this escape route was…she had no freaking clue where she was going.

After several minutes of crawling through the vent, she saw an exit, and inched towards it, careful not to breathe too loudly in case someone happened to be occupying the room.

Her blue eyes scanned the room and she smiled when she saw no one was there. Instead of trying to struggle and reason with the metal framework of this vent, she just kicked it repeatedly, the metal eventually giving way and letting her out.

She flipped out of the vent, landing on top of a rather tall filing cabinet.

Reaching up, she grabbed the scroll and pulled it out of the vent, slipping it onto her back as she crawled off the cabinet.

Several more of them filled the room, along with boxes, and mounds of paper and folders.

‘A filing room.’ She thought dully as she looked at all the paper stashed everywhere, the female casually pulling one of the drawers open.

She was greeted with the sight of folder upon folder, crammed inside the tiny drawer, names scrawled across the small tabs. What was being organized and filed though, she had no clue.

She was about to shut the drawer and get the hell back to her objective when a familiar name caught her eye.

Yamanaka Ino.

Now curious, the blond female took the folder and opened it, revealing several documents. Birth certificate, Konoha citizenship, a picture of the female, other official documents that rambled about boring stuff.

Kyoko, with Ino’s folder still in hand, peered into the drawer again. She was surprised that she recognized quite a few names in the drawer, Kyoko grabbing Sasuke’s idly.

She skimmed through it before looking in again, her eyes brightening as her name starred up at her.

Tucking Sasuke’s and Ino’s folder under her arm, Kyoko grabbed her own folder and leafed through it. She smiled as her parent’s names starred up at her from the birth certificate, Namikaze Minato and Uzumaki Kushina.

‘Wait…Uzumaki…’ A small frown pulled at her lips. She had never given her mother’s family name much thought before.

It seemed eerily familiar and she felt completely stupid for pulling a blank when it seemed to be on the tip of her tongue.

Did she know an Uzumaki?

She closed the file, looking into the drawer again.

This time, one name stood out to her.

Naruto’s.

What information would they have on him?

She grabbed his folder, tucking her own under her arms with the others. There was surprisingly more paperwork in his than the others, all reporting incidents about harassment or complaint from the villagers.

Then…she froze.

‘UZUMAKI!’ Her mind yelled at her in realization.

Her eyes widened and the other folders tucked under her arm fluttered to the floor, their contents spilling from their cases.

There, on Naruto’s birth certificate…were her parent’s names.

Namikaze Minato and Uzumaki Kushina.

~*~
Revelations by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Wow, it’s amazing how many times I had to redo this chapter because it didn’t turn out like I envisioned it. But I worked overtime to get this out for you guys so I hope it’s alright…it was a little rushed.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 15: Revelations

~*~

The contents of Naruto’s folder fell to the ground as well, scattering across the floor as his certificate became the only thing held in her grasp now.

Her jaw was open, before it began trying to move, making inaudible sounds.

She couldn’t stop starring at the neat writing on the line.

Namikaze Minato and Uzumaki Kushina.

Naruto’s parents. Her parent’s. His family name, her mother’s family name.

Her hand tightened, crinkling the certificate slightly as she frantically searched the scattered papers on the ground. She brushed them aside, skimming the names as her mind whirled, trying to piece together this huge chunk of information she had just uncovered.

She found her birth certificate and shakily placed them side by side. Her heart started pounding in her chest as she scanned them, her mouth feeling unnaturally dry.

They were nearly fucking identical!

Parents, birthday, blood type, birthplace, time of birth…

Goosebumps rose on her arms as she shook her head vigorously. No, it had to be a mistake!

He couldn’t be…they couldn’t…it had to be a lie!

She trembled from her kneeling position on the ground, her hair trailing across the floor.

She could still picture Naruto so clearly with slitted blood red eyes, fangs, and blood splattered across his clothes. The festival night four years ago. The very image sent chills racing down her.

Naruto was the Kyuubi no Kitsune! A demon! He killed her parents! Destroyed the Village!

“It’s not tr—“ She started desperately. It was only a piece of paper. It didn’t mean anything.

Then something caught her eye and she almost swallowed her tongue.

Naruto’s picture was looking up at her, the bottom corner concealed by the tip of his fallen folder. Her picture, which had fallen from her folder, was lying just inches from his at an angle.

Wide eyed, she nudged it ever so slightly so that they were both facing the same angle.

“Oh dear God…” She choked as her heart tightened.

Alike.

Oh God, they looked alike!

She had never noticed before. Now that she saw it, it was uncanny.

Like a big black square on a white sheet of paper.

You couldn’t help but notice it once you saw it.

The family resemblance…dear lord it was startling.

The blue eyes, the nose, the lips, the same shade of blond hair…

He looked just like her father!

Something inside her began to itch as she starred at the picture, her mind whirling with all this new information. Everything about her life was changing. Hari was gone. Fuji was hurt. She had failed her test. She was pretty much stealing from the Hokage. Now this?!

It was too much!

Something inside her snapped.

The itch ignited into a fiery flame of fury.

He had killed her father and mother…their father and mother.

‘HOW DARE HE?!’

“HOW FUCKING DARE HE?!!”

~*~

Sarutobi was startled when Kyoko suddenly came storming into his office close to midnight. Her face was ablaze with such raw anger that the Sandaime actually tensed in his chair, eyes locked on her face.

“You knew didn’t you?!” She yelled as she came to a stop in front of his desk, arms jutting out beside her. Her one hand was clutching two very crumpled balls of paper.

“Knew?” Sarutobi blinked, watching her carefully.

Her hackles seemed to rise, like an angry cat.

“YOU KNEW I WAS RELATED TO THAT DEMON!” She yelled, veering her arm back and throwing the paper balls at the Sandaime.

They landed on his desk, bouncing slightly, while Sarutobi frowned at her behaviour. She was never this ill-tempered before.

“What on Earth are y—“ Sarutobi started before his eyes widened as what she was actually saying sunk into his head.

Related? Demon?

She couldn’t mean…

He un-crumpled the wads of paper on his desk swiftly, the strong feel of the paper telling him that it wasn’t just an ordinary document. The writing became visible to him as he smoothed them out on his desk, the fancy design of the birth certificates becoming familiar to his old eyes.

This was the only proof in all of Konoha that showed that Kyoko and Naruto were related. The only proof…and Kyoko had seen it.

“Naruto then…” Sarutobi sighed in realization as Kyoko fumed in front of him. He could already tell from her behaviour what her reaction to this information was.

“Why hadn’t anyone told me?!” She yelled as she put her hands on the surface of his desk, Sarutobi watching her warily. Angry, people were usually very unpredictable people.

“It was the council’s decision.” Sarutobi explained calmly, his voice soothing, hoping to placate the child in front of him. “They wanted to separate the two of you to keep you safe.”

“I have a right to know if I’m related to a demon!” She continued, ignoring the Hokage’s actions.

Something inside of Sarutobi twitched.

No one called Naruto a demon in front of him.

His firm gaze locked with hers and her fingers twitched atop his desk.

“Naruto is not a demon.” He replied slowly, his voice deliberately clipped. “And you will not call him such in my presence ever again.” He warned, straightening in his seat and towering over the blond, even though she was still standing.

Despite all the anger boiling over inside her, she heeded the Sandaime’s warning without even thinking about it. She took a step away from the desk subconsciously.

“But he is!” She insisted after a split second. “He’s the Kyuubi no Kitsune!”

Sarutobi glared at the accusation, but deep inside, another part of him felt disheartened. Naruto’s own sister had been misinformed about him.

Was convinced of a lie.

Thought him a demon.

“He is not the Kyuubi.” He started, eyes gleaming. “Naruto is, and will continue to be, 100% human. Your father…Naruto’s father, sealed the Kyuubi inside of Naruto twelve years ago in order to save the Village. He is not, in any way, the Kyuubi. Only it’s jailor.” Sarutobi explained sternly, ignoring the way Kyoko bristled when he mentioned Minato being Naruto’s father as well.

“That’s a lie!” Kyoko protested loudly, the words coming out like a snarl. Hari had told her he wasn’t human. She had seen him kill two people!

“Everyone in the Village calls him a de—it!” Kyoko started, switching her word swiftly as she remembered the Sandaime’s warning. If everyone called him a demon, it had to be true!

Sarutobi narrowed his eyes at her. “The people in the Village are blinded by grief and anger. They see Naruto as an outlet for their anger and suffering. Because of this, logic is useless on them.”

“But you are his sister.” He spoke, his eyes softening a fraction as he looked at her. It was sympathy he was portraying…but it wasn’t directed at her.

“You should open your eyes to the logic laid out before you.”

She opened her mouth to continue harshly when he cut her off.

“If you go look on Naruto’s stomach when he moulds chakra, you’ll see a seal. A seal holding back the Kyuubi.” Sarutobi explained slowly. “If he truly was the Kyuubi, he wouldn’t have such a thing.”

“Maybe he’s using it to hide his power.” She retorted.

“Why would a demon want that…if that’s truly what he is?” Sarutobi questioned. “Wouldn’t a demon want all the power they could get?”

Kyoko made an angry noise in her throat when Sarutobi blinked, noticing for the first time, the scroll strapped to her back.

“Kyoko…what are you doing with that?” He asked cautiously.

Kyoko started, derailed by this sudden change in conversation.

She blinked before the anger on her face slowly melted, transforming into realization.

Then…she stiffened, her eyes shooting behind her as a hand absently touched the scroll.

“Uh….” She stammered uselessly, at a loss for words. Crap! She totally forgot about the damn scroll! How much time had she spent talking to the Hokage instead of practicing the jutsu?

Was Mizuki waiting for her at the training ground already?

Maybe if she used a smoke bomb she could sneak away quickly. No way, he was the Hokage. He would be able to sense her chakra through all the smoke.

Besides, how suspicious would that make her look? Damn!

What’s a good excuse? Damnit! Damnit, damnit!

“Kyoko…” Sarutobi said, his voice lowering ever so slightly. It was a tone that automatically let her know she was in trouble.

“What are you doing with that scroll?” He repeated, his eyes drilling holes in her head. She tried to avoid the look by looking at the aforementioned scroll, pretending to be thinking of an answer while actually considering how much shit she was in.

She, technically, had already seen the hand signs for one of the jutsus. She remembered them…mostly. Maybe Mizuki didn’t need the scroll. Maybe he just needed to see her perform the jutsu.

How important could the scroll be anyways? Right?

“I…uh…” She continued before making the mistake of looking back at him.

She met his gaze and she crumbled.

“Mizuki-sensei told me that if I learned a jutsu from this scroll and then gave the scroll to him, he would let me graduate.” She confessed, having the good grace to actually look a tad sheepish.

Sarutobi frowned deeply at this news.

“Where were you supposed to give Mizuki the scroll?” He asked, rising up from his desk for the first time since Kyoko got here. It set her on edge, making her tense up. What was he going to do?

“Training ground six.” She relayed, her eyes watching his every movement. She had just been in his office, yelling at him, the Hokage. If he so much as made any move towards her, she was fleeing.

She’d probably be caught, but she would still try.

Oblivious to her state of being, Sarutobi continued to slowly walk out from behind his desk. “I’m afraid, Kyoko, that I’ll need that scroll back. No matter what Mizuki told you, you’ll have to go back and graduate from the Academy like everyone else. The one who decides who graduates to Genin, is Iruka, not Mizuki.” He explained calmly.

She fell silent while he held his hand out towards her, waiting for the scroll.

Her brow furrowed, lips puckering in mild confusion.

“But then…why did Mizuki tell me I could graduate if I got the scroll?” She started, befuddled. Her eyes then lit in realization, her mouth forming a small ‘o’ as she looked back at the scroll behind her.

‘So I really am stealing.’ Her thoughts realized, confirming her earlier doubts from before. Her gaze flickered back to the old man before she reluctantly slipped the scroll off from over her shoulders, seeing no other way out of this now that she was caught.

Anything that involved her escaping would most likely get her arrested.

She handed the scroll to Sarutobi, the elderly man nodding at her course of action.

“Mizuki will be taken care of. I suggest you go home now Kyoko.” He advised as he placed the scroll on top of his desk, the rather large scroll taking up a good portion of the surface.

Kyoko frowned, nodding curtly before leaving the office. She had someone else she wanted to see.

~*~

Sasuke’s brow furrowed, his eyes cracking open as the front door shook in its hinges.

Someone was banging on the door.

Loudly.

He glared at Naruto’s ceiling above him, sitting up on the couch that he was currently residing on. Silently, he willed whoever was on the other side of the door to combust into flames.

“Nngh.” Naruto grumbled as he stumbled out of his room, woken up by the noise.

Surprising, seeing how Naruto could usually sleep through a war and not know about it.

His eyes were still sealed shut with sleep, giving him the appearance of the walking dead as he stumbled out of his bedroom, nearly tripping over his pyjamas.

“Are you gonna get that?” The blond yawned, swaying where he stood in the middle of the apartment.

“It’s you’re apartment.” Sasuke snapped grumpily. It was his apartment, so whoever was here was here because they came to see him. It was his crap that was disrupting their sleep! He should deal with it.

Naruto opened his eyes enough to send Sasuke a glare, but it paled in comparison to the one Sasuke returned it with.

Naruto trudged over to the door, curse words prepared on his tongue as he grasped the handle of the door and opened it with a rough jerk.

He swallowed his words as his sleepy brain registered who was in front of him.

He blinked before wiping at his eye with the back of his hand sleepily. “Kyoko?” The hell was she doing here? She hadn’t been to his house in four years. And if his brain was fully awake, he would note that it was odd for her to even be close to him.

The blond Namikaze still had her hand raised in the air from where it was about to connect with the wood of his door. Her blue eyes locked onto his face and she stood frozen, almost as if out of habit.

Now that she was face to face with him, the family resemblance was much more striking and prominent. She almost staggered under the weight of it.

Then the raw anger from the Hokage tower came flooding back to her.

Her eyes narrowed, blazing as her lips pulled back in a growl.

This was the boy who had killed her parents! The Kyuubi! And he was supposed to be her brother?!

Naruto practically choked on air as Kyoko tackled him, all the air gushing out of his lungs as they crashed to the ground, his skull hitting the ground with a painful thud. The sound made Sasuke perk his head up, blinking once as he turned his head to look at the door.

Naruto’s brain instantly switched onto alert as his childhood instincts screamed danger. Run! Get away! Fight!

He rolled out from underneath her, pushing her off and to the side as he scrambled to his feet. When she tackled his back this time, the two rolled on the ground, rolling further into the apartment.

Sasuke jumped to his feet as Kyoko sat on top of Naruto’s stomach, her hands wrapping around Naruto’s neck. “I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!” She cried as Naruto began coughing, bringing his hands up to try and pry off her hands.

He had killed her parents! It was because of him she was an orphan! And he probably knew and just gallivanted about as if he didn’t care!

All her fear of the Kyuubi from her childhood converted to anger, releasing in this single outlet that she had found. It was finally pouring out, verbalizing itself. She hated him!

Sasuke was quick to take action, surprising the female when he wrapped his arms around her torso and attempted to heft her off the other male. Not the best strategy, but he was still partially asleep and it was what he could come up with off such short notice.

“Kyoko…what are you….doing?” Naruto managed to wheeze, fighting for air while Sasuke struggled to get the female to release her death hold on the blond.

“Did you know?” Kyoko whispered, her voice cutting through the commotion. “Did you know?!” She repeated, snapping the question out harshly this time as she brought his head up, thudding it against the floor below.

“Know what?” Naruto breathed as he cracked open one eye to look at her. Hitting the floor honestly didn’t hurt that much. It was the lack of air that was getting to him.

She seemed to bristle at his question, but she thankfully didn’t hit him against the floor again.

“That we’re twins!” She yelled as she freed one hand from his throat and veered her fist back. She jerked violently as a Sasuke released one hand from her torso, catching her fist and stopping its descent. She grunted as she tried to get her fist out of Sasuke’s hold, but it was to no avail.

“We’re…we’re what…?” Naruto choked, forcing Kyoko to whip her head back to look at him.

His eyes were huge and he looked a little dazed. Kyoko opened her mouth to continue yelling when something caught her eye.

Something black on Naruto’s stomach.

She went rigid as her gaze flickered to his abdomen that she was seated on. Naruto’s shirt had rose up when the two had rolled on the ground, his pyjama top piled up by his chest, leaving his stomach bare.

The intricate design of a spiral seal looked up at her, swirling around his belly button.

“If you go look on Naruto’s stomach when he moulds chakra, you’ll see a seal. A seal holding back the Kyuubi.” Sarutobi explained slowly. “If he truly was the Kyuubi, he wouldn’t have such a thing.”

Naruto took in a huge gulp of air as Kyoko’s grip on his throat fell loose. Air! Oh dear lord, air! He shook as he coughed, filling his lungs with the pleasant oxygen.

Did that mean…was Naruto…human?

Her head swam, throbbing as it felt like it was going to explode. She didn’t know! What was going on?! Was Hari right, or was the Hokage right? Multiple emotions filled her as her thoughts pushed against each other, overwhelming her.

Her mentality broke.

A watery sob broke through the air.

The two males stilled, Naruto blinking in surprise before his eyes widened in shock, starring up at the female above him.

Tears streamed down Kyoko’s face, the female trembling as she blinked rapidly, trying to dismiss the liquid falling from her eyes. Her teeth were still grit together, but her face had seemed to have collapsed, showing pain and sorrow instead of the raw anger it had portrayed.

Her fist shook in Sasuke’s grasp, the Uchiha easing his hold ever so slightly at the change of demeanour.

Why is everything around me changing? First Hari’s gone! Then Naruto is my brother, and then apparently isn’t the Kyuubi! Was everything I was told a lie? What isn’t true and what is? Who should I believe? What’s going on? I don’t know anymore! I just want everything back the way it was!’

She shook her head, fighting to stop the tears as all different emotions swirled around in her body, making her chest feel constricted and heavy. They were building up before her body couldn’t take it anymore.

Then…she just gave up. She bent her head forward, Naruto making the smallest noises of surprise as her forehead rested on his chest. As if in slow motion, Sasuke let her go, her hands seeming to forget about whatever violent act they had been about to carry out and balling into Naruto’s shirt.

And she cried.

She sobbed like a child into Naruto’s shirt, the Uzumaki sending the Uchiha a clearly startled and confused look as he continued to lay sprawled out below her.

Not knowing what to do when someone who was attacking you was suddenly using you for comfort when they began crying, Naruto awkwardly placed a hand on her back.

~*~

Kyoko had cried for a good ten minutes, soaking the front of Naruto’s shirt while Naruto began to lose feeling in his limbs.

When Kyoko seemed to come back to herself, they could finally see what they had failed to see because of the anger consuming her.

She was an emotional train wreck.

She couldn’t even bring herself to conjure up any emotions at the moment. The cry that she had just displayed must’ve been much more exhausting then the boys thought because she seemed way more mellow now then she had been in a really long time.

At least, considering that she was around Naruto.

“Kyoko…what’s going on?” Sasuke asked, having realized that he wouldn’t be getting any sleep tonight. The female had taken a seat on his makeshift bed, a bowl of instant ramen in her hands while the two males stood in front of her.

She starred at the ramen in her hands, her eyes looking tired, red and puffy.

“”I was in the Hokage tower,” She started as she took the chopsticks in her other hand and idly stirred the noodles in the cup. “When I saw my birth certificate in a filing room.”

“I was looking through other peoples out of curiosity and I had picked up Naruto’s. On his birth certificate…were my parents’ names.” She explained quietly. “Then I realized, how much we look alike.”

At this Sasuke looked between the two and Naruto pulled on a strand of his hair as if in a silent question.

“Holy son of a…” Sasuke muttered as he looked between the two. “Dobe, sit next to her.”

For once, Naruto quietly complied to Sasuke’s command, seating himself next to the female who tensed at his presence, but otherwise did nothing. She was too exhausted to care at the moment.

Sasuke felt like a moron for not noticing the similarities sooner.

“And so…I got angry! I was so mad!” She explained, her grip on the ramen cup tightening so her nails bit into the Styrofoam. Her tone changed, spiking momentarily while Naruto frowned.

“Why?”

Her head bowed, her shoulders hunching up. What did she say? What did she really know now? Who was right? Hari and the Villagers? Or the Hokage?

“I…” She started softly, before stopping and changing her answer.

“Ask the Hokage.” She advised.

~*~
Becoming Aware by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto

Authoress Note: Yes, there is punishment for telling Kyoko about the Kyuubi but I have something else in mind for Hari.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 16: Becoming Aware

~*~

“He’s still not coming to.” Yuki stated from his position crouched next to the still Hari. The Iwa Nins had fled to a cave outside of a small town just a good distance away from Konoha. The unconscious male was lying on all their cloaks and coats at the back, and warmest, part of the cave.

The cave was well hidden, trees shielding the entrance and hiding it from view. The only way to see it was to actually hack away through a series of underbrush and wedge between some trees. It was the perfect hiding spot.

Haru had also encased the entrance in a genjutsu, making it hard to be tracked by normal means.

“You guys probably hit him too hard.” Iki piped up from his seat by the fireplace near the center of the cave, the flames sending shadows against the stone walls, tiny tendrils of smoke out the cave’s mouth.

“Not that I care. Let the rat bastard die.” He cussed, glaring at the prone Konoha Nin with his visible eye. His other eye was covered with gauze bandages, the bandages covering most of his body.

The burns he had sustained had started to go down thanks to the herbs Haru had been able to find for him…not that he would admit he was thankful to that old bastard of a man.

“We need him to live so we can get some information out of him.” Haru interjected with a sigh as he made to stand up from his spot from the fireplace, his back groaning in complaint at the motion.

They needed to know why he was in that house instead of Namikaze Minato. And maybe he would know the location of the certain blond they were hunting.

“Well then maybe you shouldn’t have knocked him unconscious…ever think of that?” Iki offered with a shrug, earning a glare from the elder.

Haru turned away from him, running a hand over his bald head in irritation as he walked towards Yuki, the other member of their team looking surprisingly more intimidating without the cloak and the mechanical goggles.

Yuki had jagged, white scars criss-crossing over every inch of his body, looking like intricate lace work. His big burly frame, small eyes, and square jaw just seemed to add to the look even more.

“Here…let me take a look at him.” Haru advised as he knelt down next to Yuki, the black haired male nodding and moving over.

“Maybe he’s already dead.” Iki continued to talk away, raising his voice so they could hear him. “Died right when you hit him and we’ve just been lugging around a dead body.” He continued.

Haru pointedly ignored him, though he had a deep scowl on his face, as he grabbed Hari’s limp wrist. He had been out of it for days now, and if he didn’t come around soon then—

“Urgh…”

“Oh.” Haru blinked, his eyes snapping to Hari’s face. The younger man let out another groan before his good eye began to flutter open. Even though Haru wasn’t in the man’s body, he could tell that Hari’s vision was severely unfocused.

He was probably a blurred blob in the man’s eye.

“We were starting to wonder if you were ever going to wake up.” Haru said as Hari just laid there, blinking rapidly to try and focus.

It took a minute for Hari to register that someone had spoken to him, but when he did, he jerked upright violently.

The action caused his skull to erupt in unbelievable pain, Hari giving an inaudible cry of agony as he collapsed back onto the cloaks and jackets beneath him. It felt as if he was going to pass out, the pain was so fierce.

“I wasn’t concerned.” Iki snorted, the words barely a buzz in the background to the Konoha Nin.

“Wh…wh-where am…I?” Hari stammered, his words slurring together horribly. A side affect from the blow to the head. Haru frowned. That could be concerning.

“Not too far from where we got you if that helps.” Haru answered vaguely as he watched the man clutch at his head, his body curling itself up in a ball.

“…Urgh…No…it doesn’t…” Hari ground out, wincing at the way his head throbbed when he talked. He tried to prop himself upright, but the world around him spun horribly, making him feel nauseous.

When he put pressure on his one arm, he cried out in pain, immediately reeling back to trying to support himself with just one hand.

“Eat this, you’ll feel better.” Haru instructed as he rummaged in his pockets before producing a small yellow pill. At this, Iki perked up, turning and watching as Hari, despite his situation, still managed to stare at the pill suspiciously.

“What…is it?” He slurred as he resigned himself to lying down once again, his arm shaking badly underneath his weight from his efforts to try and sit himself up.

“It’s only a painkiller.” Haru lied, keeping his gaze locked on Hari’s face. “If we had wanted to kill you, we would’ve done so earlier.”

Hari still looked sceptical and Haru’s eyes narrowed before he sighed.

“Yuki.”

“Got it.” Yuki nodded before his massive hands shot out. The still disorientated Hari grunted as Yuki grabbed his chin in one hand, the other hand squeezing his nose and yanking his mouth open.

Haru placed the pill in the man’s mouth, Yuki shutting Hari’s mouth and clamping it shut while Hari made garbled, strangled noises against his hand. Now totally aware that this pill was in fact, not a painkiller, Hari struggled against Yuki’s grip.

But being unconscious for days made him weak, and he was forced to swallow it.

“Ah! Now I recognize that pill!” Iki piqued up, the fingers on his good hand snapping together as realization entered his bandaged face.

“Shut it!” Haru hissed over his shoulder, turning his head to send Iki a warning look. Iki only scowled in return.

Upon ingestion of the pill, Hari’s eye turned glassy. His head began lolling to the side before jerking straight…only to loll to the other side for a fraction of a second. Yuki slowly released him, putting one hand on the top of his head to keep him in place.

“Hell those truth pills are strong.” Iki whispered to himself as he idly took in Hari’s behaviour.

“I made that one myself.” Haru commented absently, he too, watching Hari. Now the man would spill whatever secret they desired from him. All they had to do was ask.

Hell then maybe he would let Iki have him. Lord knows that the young man had been dying to pay him back for killing Kimi and burning half his body.

“Now then…let’s start nice and easy.” Haru said as he clapped his hands in front of Hari’s face, satisfied when the glassy green orb managed to focus on his hands. “What’s your name?”

“Hiroshi Hari.” Was the immediate answer, though his voice let everyone in the area know how drugged he was.

“His family name isn’t even Namikaze.” Iki growled in annoyance, watching the scene as he subconsciously prodded the fire before him with a stick. The flames made their shadows dance across the walls.

“You live in Konoha correct?”

“Ah.” Hari confirmed.

“Where in Konoha?” Haru asked as he began shifting in his kneeling position.

“In the Namikaze Estate.” Hari answered, his eye looking like it was about to shut before Yuki gave his head a small tug upright, and his eye opened up wider, though the glassy effect was still in play.

“Why do you live there? Are you a friend of the Namikaze’s?” Haru asked, not bothering to try and conceal the hiss of anger that wormed into his voice.

He was going to make Minato pay for taking away his son and wife in the war.

“I’m raising Namikaze Kyoko, daughter of Namikaze Minato.” He explained. Silence fell over the cave before Haru sputtered as he realized what this meant.

“YOU MEAN MINATO’S DEAD?!” Haru roared, lunging to his feet, Iki copying the action in the background, minus the outraged scream. Hari didn’t even blink. The drug wouldn’t allow him to.

“Yup. He died fighting the Kyuubi no Kitsune twelve years ago.”

Haru continued to sputter soundlessly, his face turning an odd burgundy colour as his shoulders shook before he suddenly snapped around on his heel.

“Yuki, let him go! Iki, kill him!”

“But I—“ Yuki started, confused as Haru started stomping towards the mouth of the cave.

“YUKI!” Haru bellowed, Yuki’s features hardening before he nodded and released the man’s head, letting it loll to the side. In this state, Hari’s body was practically in a sedated coma…minus the brain functions.

“…Are you…are you serious?” Iki asked, stunned, as Haru stormed past him.

Enraged eyes met Iki’s.

A smile pulled at Iki’s mouth before widening and stretching his cheeks. With a mirthless laugh, Iki swayed up to his feet as Yuki followed after Haru. The two other Iwa Nins left the cave, leaving only Iki and Hari in the stone hole.

Picking up his katana, Iki playfully twirled it in his hand as he lopped his way over to the other man.

“You know, I’m going to have to thank Haru for this later.” Iki commented as he stood at the man’s side, looking down at his face. The glassy eye was now starring blankly up in his general direction. “Even though I hate the fact that I have to do so.” He admitted.

Despite what he was about to do, Iki couldn’t help the grin on his face, or the way that his eyes gleamed as he placed the edge of the blade against the man’s jugular.

It was all too easy. He would’ve preferred to have to fight for his kill, but after taking Haru’s pill, Hari would probably be in this drugged state for close to an hour.

Without any sort of warning, Iki brought the blade through the flesh of Hari’s neck. Blood splattered from the quick motion, the horrible sound of metal grinding against bone cutting through the air for a split second before the katana cut through the vertebrates of the spinal chord and continued through the rest of the neck easily.

The momentum behind the swing sent Hari’s head tumbling from his body, blood spraying from the newly cleaved end of his neck as it fell a good distance from the rest of the body.

Blood oozed steadily like an ever growing pool, out of the torso, the yellow fat around the spinal chord of the neck now painted a deep crimson. Almost black.

“Fuck. That was my coat.” Iki cussed, scowling as his mentioned coat become soaked with blood.

~*~

“Naruto? What are you doing here?” Sarutobi questioned, perking up as the orange clad ninja clambered into his office, Sarutobi faintly noticing the gleaming forehead protector Naruto had made sure to tie around his forehead that morning.

Naruto grinned at him as he leapt over to the front of the desk, the whisker marks on his cheek stretching from the motion.

“Hey Oji-chan!” Naruto called out energetically…like always.

“Naruto, orientation is this morning and class starts in fifteen minutes. You should be heading towards the Academy.” Sarutobi scolded as he drummed his fingers on the surface of his desk. By the time he got to the Academy, he would only have enough time to get to his seat before class started.

“Aw, don’t worry. I’m still going to orientation.” Naruto assured, waving his hand to dismiss Sarutobi’s concern.

“Then what are you doing here?” Sarutobi asked, raising a brow at the child. At this, the blond male’s brow furrowed, his lips puckering ever so slightly.

It was the eeriest replica of his sister.

“Kyoko came to my apartment last night.”

Sarutobi went rigid.

“What…what did she say?” He asked, straightening in his chair while trying desperately to take in Naruto’s behaviour. He had acted so normal when he had walked into the office.

At this, Naruto turned serious making Sarutobi’s hand clench into fists on top of his desk. ‘Dear Lord Kyoko…what did you do?’ He thought to himself anxiously.

“She said she was my sister…Oji-chan.” Naruto retold, all forms of playfulness out of his face. “She wouldn’t…she wouldn’t be joking about something like that…right?” He asked, a timid tone slipping into his voice as he began to fidget.

“That’s what she told you? That you’re related?” Sarutobi clarified slowly. She hadn’t mentioned the Kyuubi? At all?

Naruto nodded, his gaze locking onto the floor.

“Yeah. I just don’t know whether to believe her. I mean…I just…I’ve never had…” Naruto fumbled, frowning as his mouth was unable to form the words he wanted to say.

He had lived his whole life with only himself as his own relative. There was no one else. No parents. No siblings. Not even an aunt or an uncle that he knew of. But yet, the idea of actually having a relative…someone that actually shared the same blood as him, made his heart beat with a tremor of happiness.

“You would’ve told me if we were related, wouldn’t you?” Naruto asked as he lifted his gaze up. The look Sarutobi saw on Naruto’s face made barbs of guilt pull through his chest.

It was the first time…in a long time, that Sarutobi actually saw him as the small child he used to be. He looked almost fragile.

“Naruto…” Sarutobi started, his voice etched with sadness. How he wished Minato and Kushina hadn’t died. Then none of this would be happening. “You two are related.” He confirmed.

Naruto inhaled sharply while Sarutobi continued quickly, feeling the need to explain why Naruto had been lied to for years.

“It was the council’s decision to split you two up. It was never mine. They thought it would be safer that way.” He explained, hoping to sooth whatever feelings Naruto was feeling at the moment.

“Safer…? Why?” Naruto breathed quietly as he took in the Hokage’s rushed words. Sarutobi flinched as he realized what he had almost let slip out. The action however, was caught by Naruto who surprisingly became spurred on, his brow furrowing.

“Why? What’s going on? Is it the ‘reason’?” Naruto asked brashly, his hands balling up into fists. What wasn’t he being told?

“Reason?” Sarutobi repeated.

“Kyoko told me that when she found out we were twins she got really upset and angry. She attacked me Oji-chan! When I asked for the reason, she told me to ask you!” Naruto declared, now scowling at the elder before him.

Sarutobi opened his mouth to respond, but Naruto interrupted him, apparently not finished.

“I mean what else have I not been told about?” He exclaimed, flailing his arms around him for emphasis.

“Naruto, calm down.” The Sandaime advised, Naruto pausing his antics before slowly following Sarutobi’s advise and settling down, arms dropping back limply by his side.

“Sorry…” Naruto mumbled absently.

“Now as for Kyoko,” Sarutobi started, Naruto rubbing the back of his head.

“She’s been acting strange towards me for years. We used to be friends when we were kids and then one day she just started avoiding me, jumping and running away whenever I got near her.” Naruto admitted solemnly. “Then yesterday she came over and she was so angry. I’ve never seen her so mad.” He continued, shaking his head as his gaze fell to his shoes.

“She looked like a Vill- oh.” Naruto started before stopping as he realized that he was talking to the head of the Village. It probably wasn’t wise to talk bad about the residents. Sarutobi, however, only quirked a brow at him, a silent invitation for him to continue.

“She looked like a Villager.” Naruto muttered, just barely loud enough to be heard, glancing away from the Hokage as if Sarutobi was a teacher and Naruto had been talking about him beneath his breath.

The Sandaime’s shoulders slumped at the choice of words Naruto had decided to use for comparison. His life was rough, Sarutobi knew that. And it was thanks to the Kyuubi. But Naruto wasn’t staying oblivious to it anymore. It was shoving itself in his face, forcing him to acknowledge that something was really wrong.

“Naruto…listen.”

The blond raised his head at the sound of his name, blue eyes looking back at the man behind the desk in front of him. He was surprised at how worn out Sarutobi looked suddenly, his brow creased in an almost apologetic look.

“I’m going to give you two options. The first option is to just believe that everyone has their own reasons for doing things, and leave it at that. With that, you would leave this office and continue on your way to orientation.” Sarutobi began. That option, if Naruto decided to take it, would keep the blond oblivious for a while longer.

He wasn’t at all surprised when he saw Naruto still standing there, waiting to hear option two.

“Or option two. I can break the law that I myself, put into play, and tell you why the Villagers, and Kyoko, act the way they do. It will startle you and you will probably not be the same.”

“Do you even have to ask?” Naruto asked, his eyes lighting with mild curiosity, though his face still stayed straight.

But what small warning that Sarutobi had given him, did not prepare Naruto for the words the Sandaime spoke when he straightened in his chair, hardened eyes locked on Naruto’s.

“Sealed inside your stomach is the Kyuubi no Kitsune.”

“…”

“…”

“Wh…what?” Naruto stammered breathlessly, stepping backwards as his eyes dilated, his skin draining of color. His stomach clenched so viciously he almost felt sick, the scenery around him begin to sway.

“That…I mean…I…what…but I…a…how did…I never….” Naruto choked senselessly, his words toppling over each other. Kyuubi? Sealed? In his stomach? Did that even make sense?

“When the Kyuubi attacked the Village twelve years ago, the Yondaime…your father,” Naruto jerked at the information. He hadn’t made that connection yet. “Sacrificed himself and sealed the Kyuubi inside you, saving the Village.” Sarutobi explained before taking his hat off, setting it on his desk.

“There was no other way Naruto. We tried everything. Trust us we did. Your mother, Kushina, she was furious when she found out what Minato had wanted to do. She had never wanted to put you through it.”

Naruto just starred at the Hokage in front of him, the old man looking like he had lived lifetimes. His face looked far more withered then normal and his eyes full of so much pain and remembrance that it was a little frightening. The elder starred down at the hat he had placed down on his desk as he remembered how Kushina and Minato had argued when he told her what he had planned.

She had been on the verge of crying. That’s when they didn’t know they were going to have twins.

From the corner of his eye, Sarutobi saw Naruto begin to shake. Was he…crying? Looking up, he saw the blonde’s head bent, making it indistinguishable to tell. Sarutobi frowned in concern as Naruto’s arms crossed over his stomach.

“Naru—“

Naruto’s head whipped back and laughter broke out of his mouth, booming through the office. It was a bitter, hallow sound that vibrated through his body, yet sent goosebumps rising on Sarutobi’s arms.

The Kyuubi? Oh God, it made sense now! The Villagers…Kyoko. It was falling into place. He had a shitty childhood because of a damn demon sealed inside of his stomach. That was the explanation. He was doomed to be hated! By this stupid Village that was alive because of his father’s sacrifice! Because of him!

His chest felt like it was constricting in pain, and anger as a jumble of emotions clawed at his heart, Naruto’s hallow laughter still continuing to tumble from his lips as he walked backwards from the desk, a hand raising and covering his eyes.

Sarutobi almost missed the gleam of tears Naruto had hastily tried to hide, the liquid spilling over from his closed eyes.

~*~

“So now what do we do?” Yuki asked, glancing over at a still fuming Haru as Iki became visible at the mouth of the cave, wiping blood from his katana. Haru and Yuki were just a few feet from the entrance of the cave, Haru having his hands pressed against the trunk of a tree to steady himself after his short burst of anger where he destroyed a nearby tree.

Even from that distance Iki would still be in hearing range. He was every part of the conversation as they were.

“What is there?” Haru ground out viciously, the bark underneath his hands splintering a fraction. Obviously his anger hadn’t quite disappeared as much as they would’ve liked. “Minato’s dead. Trying to get revenge on him is meaningless now.”

“I just wanted the bounty on his head.” Iki commented from the lip of the cave, looking his katana over for any blood he might’ve missed.

“Is money all you ever think about?” Haru snarled, whirling around to glare at the bandaged man, brandishing a fist in his direction. Iki glared at him, the move looking distorted as it pulled at all his bandaged, burned skin.

“Money is what makes the world turn. If you don’t have money, you don’t have anything.” Iki growled, slowly straightening himself to his full height, anger radiating from him.

Yuki looked between the two warily, calculating the situation.

“That Nin mentioned a daughter.” Yuki interjected, deciding that it wasn’t beneficial if the two other male’s decided to fight, which is what would most likely happen. “Minato’s daughter.” He added in.

“What use is she to me?” Haru snapped while Iki relented a second before beginning to head towards them.

“Not for your revenge crazy ways, but it might help me.” Iki muttered as he joined them, his visible eye locking on Yuki’s burly frame. Haru snorted.

“And how is that?”

Iki cast him a brief look as if he was an idiot, which only made the elder want to smack him around for treating him with such disrespect. “Because if she’s Minato’s kid, and Minato was the Yondaime, she is probably important to the Village. They’ll be glad to pay for her release if we hold her hostage.” He explained.

Haru opened his mouth to point out all the flaws of this ludicrous plan when Iki cut him off and turned to Yuki sharply.

“Did you catch a name? I wasn’t paying that much attention.”

“Namikaze Kyoko.”

~*~
A Little Bitter by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 17: A Little Bitter

~*~

Sasuke glanced over as the chair next to him scraped across the ground, signalling that someone was sitting down. The familiar sight of orange clashing with blond spiky hair met his vision, Sasuke merely giving a small ‘hn’ in greeting.

He was mildly surprised when Naruto 'grunted' back a greeting in return, folding his arms over top the surface of the desk before burying his face in the folds of his forearms.

Where was his usual obnoxious, over the top energy? Despite last night, Naruto had woken up this morning in an almost blinding mood. Sasuke remembered.

…it had pissed him off.

Naruto’s hands were clenched into fists, absently balling up the material of his sleeves as he curled over his desk. The Kyuubi? The Kyuubi? Inside of him? A bitter smile pulled at his lips as a hallow ache swelled inside his chest, painfully pushing against his ribs.

On his way over to the Academy, a Villager had caught his eye and the hated look drilled holes into him. But now…now he knew why. Anger had flared inside of him and for the first time, Naruto had glared right back, snarling at the person.

Wasn’t it because of him that they were alive? It was his father’s sacrifice wasn’t it?! Because of him and his father, they could live their stupid, fucking, everyday lives!

And yet they treat him like trash. Hate him with every ounce of their being!

It made his blood boil, his body becoming hot as his teeth grit together. Taking in a shuddering breath, he calmed himself, his temper having been revived at the mere memory.

A buzz of noise erupted around him, catching a fragment of his attention.

“I told you all to beat it!” Sakura yelled, brandishing her fists into the crowd of females, all of whom had surrounded the row of desks Sasuke and Naruto were currently seated in.

The desks sat three people to a row, and currently, there was an extra seat. With Kyoko gone, their class was at an uneven number. The females were all scrambling to try and fill in the extra seat, to be in the same row as the Uchiha prodigy.

“Hold on forehead! Who said you get to sit there?!” Ino snapped, yanking Sakura back by her elbow sharply.

“Yeah!” Four other girls chorused as they stood their ground.

Sasuke tried so hard not to twitch in annoyance. He closed his eyes, turning his head away from the noise, trying in vain to block out the high pitched bickering that was taking place only a few feet from him.

It escalated into violence when one female shoved Sakura backwards and the pinkette’s temper flared. Everyone’s attention was caught as Sakura punched the other girl out, the other female staggering backwards.

“CAT FIGHT!” Kiba hollered, watching in excitement as the females began snarling at each other, fists flying and yelps erupting from the circle of females. There was a loud rip, Misora shrieking as the sleeve of her shirt tore clean off.

“You bitch!” She cried, grabbing Ino’s ponytail and yanking, the girl’s oblivious to the highly amused and excited eyes of their male peers.

Iruka walked into the classroom with a frown, being able to hear the ruckus from out in the hall. The scene he was greeted with made him scowl as he marched to the front of the classroom.

He had half expected Naruto to be the center of all this, but the blond was for once, seated in his desk.

“THAT’S ENOUGH! EVERYONE SIT DOWN NOW!” Iruka boomed, slamming his text book against the chalkboard at the front of the room. The wall seemed to tremble from the force of the blow.

‘Thank God.’ Sasuke thought as the females froze, Kiba grumbling in disappointment under his breath as they all scrambled to obediently find their seats. Sakura was left standing dazed in the aisle, being one of the main ones to start the violence, so she was the center of the action.

She was sporting a rather impressive split lip and her overall appearance was rather tussled and messy. She looked around in confusion before timidly sitting down in the seat that all the females had been fighting to sit in just moment’s ago.

Not one of them had thought to sit in it during all the commotion.

They glared at her.

“Now then…” Iruka started slowly, eying the class wearily as he removed his book from the chalkboard. He continued to talk while Sakura shyly glanced over to her side.

She couldn’t believe she had been able to sit in the same row as Sasuke. Now if only she could switch seats with Naruto.

‘But he usually always sits there.’ She argued with herself, biting her bottom lip, only to wince as pain shot through the poor thing. She gingerly prodded her lip with her finger while continuing to look at Naruto’s hunched over form.

It wouldn’t hurt to ask…right?

Naruto raised his head a fraction when something prodded him in the side.

“Naruto…hey Naruto…” Sakura whispered quietly, making sure her voice was low enough to not catch Iruka’s attention. A single blue eye appeared over the arms.

Sakura was derailed when she saw the look of annoyance portrayed in that single orb of blue. It lingered before relinquishing into a softer look that clearly asked ‘what do you want?’

“Can we switch seats?” She asked softly. “I mean, you always get to sit next to Sasuke-kun.” Sakura explained when Naruto’s brow furrowed.

Both Sakura and Sasuke, who wouldn’t admit he was listening to the conversation, were surprised when Naruto, instead of immediately doing what Sakura wanted or making some kind of fuss, just buried his face back into his arms, ignoring the Haruno.

“Hey! Don’t ignore me!” She hissed, temper raising its head. How dare he?! She asked him a simple question. She at least deserved an answer. She gave him a firm shove on his arms and was rewarded with his head coming off the appendages, the blond straightening in his seat.

He turned to face her, opening his mouth. He wanted to glare at her, tell her off for pushing him, but her face filled her vision and his childhood crush resurfaced inside of him, making his heart beat just a little bit faster. This was the same girl he had been obsessed with since he was eight.

He closed his mouth, only huffing because of his foul mood, before turning his attention back to the front of the classroom.

“Fine.” He groaned after a second when he saw her make to shove him again. Her face lit up as he removed himself from his chair, only to seat himself in the one right next to it, Sakura taking up his previous seat.

~*~

Kakashi glanced over his shoulder at the three preteens followed him up the stairs to the roof of the Academy building. He had been the last Jounin to show up and retrieve his team, being close to two hours late.

They had been less then pleased.

Naruto and Sakura had almost screamed his ears off, Naruto in too foul of a mood to try and pull any pranks on him and only wait out the time carving marks on the underside of a desk with a kunai while grumbling under his breath.

“Ok everyone, why don’t you introduce yourselves.” Kakashi said as he leaned against a safety rail, lining the edge of the roof while the three sat down on a pair of steps.

“Eh? But we already know each other.” Sakura pointed out, finding it redundant to be introducing herself to people that she had been in the Academy with for four years with already.

Kakashi sighed as he scratched at the mass of silver spiky hair that protruded from his head. It all spiked over in one direction, making it look like he had been electrocuted. And although he was just wearing a standard Jounin’s outfit, his face was hiding by a navy blue mask, his left eye hidden by his forehead protector which had been pulled down at an odd angle.

All that was visible was his right eye.

“Then introduce yourself to me. Tell me your dreams, your likes, and your dislikes.” He explained slowly, Sakura’s brow furrowing at the tone he used. It sounded as if he was talking to a child!

“Why don’t you go first…sensei?” Sakura replied, crossing her arms over her chest and straightening up where she sat, eying her new teacher suspiciously. Kakashi raised a brow at her, but the motion was hidden.

Hell all movements of his face were practically hidden.

He relented, complying by revealing practically nothing but his name…Hatake Kakashi. “Now it’s you’re turn. You first.” He said, pointing to Naruto.

Inwardly, Kakashi’s eye sparked as he looked at the blond. He looked so much like Kakashi’s late teacher, Minato. Of course Kakashi knew it was his child. He had had a mission with the man when Kushina had decided to reveal that she was pregnant.

Minato had almost had a heart attack and gotten himself killed, Kakashi saving his hide.

Naruto looked up, his eyes glancing at the ground, before returning up, as if deciding whether or not to talk. Sasuke was watching him with small traces of confusion. What was wrong with him today?

“I’m Uzumaki Naru….no…” Naruto paused blinking before his lips pulled back in the bitter smile that was beginning to feel like second nature to him. “Namikaze Naruto.” He corrected, ignoring the befuddled and slightly disturbed look Sakura gave him.

What the hell was he talking about? He wasn’t related to Kyoko.

“I like Ramen. I dream to be the Hokage…stronger then the Hokages even.” He started, his eyes blazing before his voice began to die with his next words.

“And I’m beginning to detest this stupid Village.”

~*~

Kyoko hesitated as she stood in front of the doors, her ears straining for any kind of sound on the other side of the doors. She raised a hand and rapped lightly on the door.

Barking erupted like thunder and she jumped a foot in the air. She forced herself to stay in place while the sounds of footsteps came towards the door.

It swung open with a creak of protest and Kiba’s mother stood before her. She looked Kyoko up and down momentarily before leaning against the doorframe, seemingly having forgotten who she was.

“Yeah? What is it?” Tsume asked, quirking a brow at the Namikaze. Kyoko twirled a lock of her hair as she tried to regain herself over the barking that was blaring from behind the woman.

“Quiet down you guys!” Tsume yelled out behind her, the barking ceasing and the older woman shaking her head before turning her attention back to the preteen before her.

“Is Fuji…ah is he doing ok yet?” She asked, intimidated by this woman‘s nonchalance by just standing there. To her relief, the older woman‘s eyes lit up in recognition.

“Oh! I‘m sorry, I didn‘t recognize you for a second. Come on in.” Tsume encouraged, opening the door so the other female could squeeze inside the house. Kyoko hesitated before going inside the building, Tsume placing a hand on her shoulder and talking to her as she ushered her to the back of the house.

“Fuji’s been healing fine. Actually, he should be able to head back now, granted he takes it easy.” She advised as she pushed open another door, Kyoko’s blue eyes snapping up as she saw a familiar black dog lying on the middle of the floor, chewing on a baseball with all his might.

Despite the white bandages that wrapped around his torso, he looked healed. As good as new.

“Fuji.” Kyoko sighed in relief. She had half expected him to still be hooked up to a machine like he had been last time she had seen him. His ears perked up, head swivelling to fixated on her before he leapt to his feet.

A series of whines and half barks escaped him as he nudged against her legs, willing any form of affection from her. He recognized her. Kyoko tensed, fingers twitching as she starred at the expecting dog who whined at her, fighting against her childhood instincts. Slowly she reached down and scratched his fur gently.

Tsume smiled to herself. “You have a very well trained dog there.” She commented, getting a nod from the blond. Kyoko continued to scratch his fur as she fell down to her haunches. It was only the two of them now.

At least until Hari came back.

~*~

“Wait, I can sense it up ahead!” Someone called out, raising their hand to stop the group of Jounin who were leaping through the trees. A small platoon of three slowing down, leaves freeing themselves from branches as they came to stop in the trees.

“How can you tell?” Kamizuki Izumo asked curiously, looking over the busty woman who had called them to a stop, the purple haired female snapping her eyes in every direction while her one arm was still raised in the air.

“My snakes can smell something.” Mitarashi Anko commented as she shifted her still outstretched hand. Something underneath the tan sleeve of her trench coat began to stir before a black and yellow snake slid out over her hand, it’s head raising into the air.

“That’s odd.” Hagane Kotetsu whispered to himself. “We’ve been past this area before and nothing’s come up.”

“They could’ve had a barrier or a genjutsu placed over the area.” Izumo supplied, neither noticing the twitch Anko had taken on.

“Will you two shut up?! I’m trying to do something here!” She yelled, veering around to glare at them. Her snake hissed at the two men who only nodded mutely. Whatever threat Anko came up with, it was all very possible she would carry it out.

She was one of the scariest Kunoichi in Konoha.

She huffed before turning back to her snake, the reptile flicking it’s tongue out into the air. The two males only glanced at each other before following after her as she lowered herself from the tree without a sound.

With whatever instruction the snake was giving to Anko, the three manoeuvred through some bushes, squeezing through some very narrow trees, and finally ducking under some branches before they came to the mouth of a cave.

The smell of blood was thick, and they weren’t even inside yet.

“Hell, even I can smell that.” Anko smirked, her eyes glinting while the snake on her hand seemed to hiss in anticipation. The two males made to walk into the cave, but Anko made a firm sign with her hand for them to stay there while she tromped inside.

“Don’t know why she’s in such a good mood.” Kotetsu muttered to himself as he watched her disappear, the end of her trench coat flicking at them as if to bid them farewell.

Izumo only sighed, shaking his head.

Maybe because she was a tad sadistic? Or maybe because their mission was finally coming to a close?

It only took a few seconds, the other Konoha Nins hearing Anko muttering to herself before the glint of her mesh outfit caught the light revealing that she was coming out of the cave to greet them.

She wasn’t smirking anymore. Something was clutched in her other hand and Kotetsu flinched back when he realized what it was.

“He’s dead.” Anko stated, lifting her arm to reveal what she was holding. Her eyes held the sorrow for the loss of a fellow comrade.

Hari’s head was suspended from her fingers, his hair entrapped in her fist.

The spinal chord was visible and stained a dark, almost pitch black, red color.

“Te rest of him is in the cave.” She continued, not even batting an eye as she brought the head back by her side as if it was the head of a mannequin and not of a fellow ninja. “These Iwa Nins don’t care much for cleaning up after themselves.”

“Al…Alright.” Izumo nodded, still casting glances at the severed head. It was unnerving. Sure he had seen much worse, but he hadn’t been expecting it. They went back into the cave, retrieving the body of Hiroshi Hari.

~*~

Sakura was beginning to pace back and forth haughtily as the sun began to rise the next day. They had been waiting for close to two hours…again! Kakashi wasn’t even here yet and he was the one who picked the bloody time for their stupid survival training or whatever the hell he wanted to call it!

Sakura wanted to scream and yell, clawing out her own hair while demanding to know where the silver haired man was.

The only thing holding her back was the fact that Sasuke was in the area.

He looked damn well emotionless like he always did.

In reality, he had almost died of boredom and had been reciting the ninja code to himself. When he had finished, he had began going over a new jutsu he had found in a scroll in the Uchiha compound, going over the seals in his head.

Naruto’s brow was furrowed so much it was almost impossible to see his eyes. He looked very grumpy, and if he wasn’t a twelve-year-old, he would’ve probably looked intimidating.

With all three of them like this, it resulted in a tense silence.

“Where. The. Hell. Is. He?”

Ah, Naruto broke the silence. He ground the words out, crossing his arms over his chest. “If he doesn’t get here soon I’m eating!” He declared, his stomach grumbling as if to show how hungry he was.

Maybe that was why he looked so grumpy. Lack of food.

“Naruto, Kakashi-sensei said not to eat anything.” Sakura advised with a warning scowl. She may not have a whole lot of respect for this teacher considering her first impressions of him, but he was a Jounin after all.

A Jounin who had advised them not to eat anything.

“Well I’m starving and he’s late!” Naruto declared, setting his bag down on the grass below him before making his way towards the forest. He hadn’t bothered to pack any food on account of Kakashi telling him not to eat anything, but now his stomach was making him regret it.

“But you--” Sakura continued before Sasuke cut her off.

“Sakura if he wants to get in trouble, let him.” Sasuke interrupted with a frown, though still remaining to look impassive. Though the idea of eating something did appeal to him, he had high hopes for whatever it was Kakashi would have them be doing this morning.

Hopefully some form of rigorous training, where it was survival of the fittest.

He eyed Sakura silently, the pinkette falling silent before nodding at his words. If that was the case, she was a goner. If they were pitted against each other, he would knock her out quickly. She wouldn’t be too difficult, he had seen her fight before and her taijutsu was very weak.

He looked over at Naruto who was rummaging through some bushes on his hands and knees, angrily mumbling to himself.

Then it would just be them. Sasuke had sparred against Naruto in class multiple times before. He had always won, much to the blonde’s chagrin.

Sasuke smirked, closing his eyes as he allowed himself to relax slightly. So it would be reason to believe that he would be the victor in this scenario.

‘Without even pausing, Naruto flipped upright and ran towards the gorilla giant. He placed his hands on Kyoko’s shoulders for leverage and flipped upwards, both feet crashing into the underside of the man’s chin.

There was an ear splitting snap. The man’s neck went awkwardly straight before it snapped backwards, crumpling like a folded piece of paper. His head lolled lifelessly, Kyoko horror stricken as she tipped forwards, his grip on her now gone.’

Sasuke’s eyes snapped open at the childhood memory before his finger twitched. He looked at Naruto once again, the remnants of the memory still in his head.

The speed…and the power. He had almost forgotten, it had been so long since he had remembered.

Sasuke felt irritation warm him though he fought to keep his face straight. Naruto had been holding back against him all these years! His eyes narrowed as he watched Naruto, the blond retracting some form of fruit, wiping it on his jumpsuit before preceding to eat it.

If it did come to a battle between them, he wouldn’t take him lightly. Naruto wasn’t normal.

~*~

Naruto growled softly to himself as he watched both Sasuke and Sakura eat the bento boxes Kakashi had given them. Although he had found some fruit to eat before Kakashi had arrived, it hadn’t been enough to satisfy him.

He was still starving!

He was tied to the center log because he had tried to grab and run with one of the two bento boxes and eat while he scoured the forest looking for Kakashi after the older man went to deal with Sakura and Sasuke. Before he could even open the lid of the box however, Kakashi had came down on him like a hawk, scaring the shit out of the blond.

How he did it, Naruto didn’t know.

To Sasuke’s disappointment, the lack of breakfast was just to make them hungry enough so they would want to get the bells attached to Kakashi’s hip in time for lunch. It wasn’t survival of the fittest, it was complete opposite.

Teamwork.

And they had failed.

Kakashi had told them they shouldn’t even be ninjas.

They knew the answer now after Kakashi decided to give them another chance. But now that they knew the answer, the training was supposed to be much more harsher.

The roar of Naruto’s stomach echoed through the small clearing, Naruto scowling out at the space in front of him angrily. Stupid Kakashi. Stupid Survival Training. Stupid lunch.

Sasuke glanced at him, pausing with a wad of rice halfway to his mouth.

“Oi Teme…give me some food here!” Naruto whispered, kicking his feet as he talked. It’s not like he could move his hands.

“Naruto, Kakashi-sensei said we’re not allowed to give you any.” Sakura reminded, waving her chopsticks at him.

“Aw c’mon!” Naruto complained, his stomach grumbling once more. He was starving here, and they were eating right in Front of him! “I thought he said this was supposed to be about teamwork? How am I supposed to help if I’m starving? Sasuke will only get his ass whooped again.”

Sasuke punched Naruto in the gut, Naruto yelping and doubling over as much as his restraints would allow him as he gasped for breath.

“…Teme…” Naruto seethed, opening one eye to glare at the Uchiha who returned the action. Sasuke however, sighed after a second.

Naruto’s words did hold some truth to them.

“He’s right.” Sasuke admitted, still glaring at Naruto as he relaxed his still outstretched arm, letting it fall back near his side. Naruto’s face perked up as Sakura looked flabbergasted.

“But…!” She protested before she seemed to change her mind and nodded to show her consent. If Sasuke decided it was ok, it must be fine.

With one fluid motion, Sasuke retrieved a kunai and cut the blond away from the log, Naruto toppling onto his hands and knees.

Smoke filled the area, the three flinching and jerking to their feet as Kakashi filled the area. This was it! They were going to die!

He seemed to tower over them, the preteens hesitating in stunned shock for a second. Unluckily for Kakashi, Naruto decided to come around and take control the same time he decided to talk.

“You pas--”

“Get him!”

Kakashi’s words were cut off as three kids tackled him to the ground, the surprised Jounin caught off guard and landing on his back with a thud. There was the sound of rustling before a whoop of triumph registered in his ears.

The two bells dangled in front of his face, one hand from all three of them holding onto the single red string that connected them.

Kakashi couldn’t help it.

He laughed.

~*~
Bad News by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 18: Bad News

~*~

Kyoko tried to fight against the feeling of depression that threatened to engulf her as she opened up the classroom door. Everyone she knew would be gone and she would be an outsider to these group of kids. She walked into the classroom, biting hard on the lollipop in her mouth.

Unfamiliar faces looked over at her as she silently took a seat near the back of the room, the faces a little younger than her own.

‘I can’t believe I failed the graduation test!’ Kyoko whined to herself, letting her head thud against the desk. Now she was left behind while everyone else was off, probably doing missions already.

The kids around her chattered, more bodies entering the room while Kyoko tried to convince herself it wasn’t so bad. Sure there was the final graduation test at the end of the year, but she knew they were always watching kids for their skills.

Those were the kids who graduated from the Academy before the others…while they were nine or ten. They were the kids that everyone knew, like Uchiha Itachi.

Maybe if she was lucky she could get out early before the end of the year.

“Kyoko? Namikaze Kyoko?”

She blinked, her head raising before she slowly turned to face the voice. A copper haired male was looking at her, his head quirked to the side and his lilac eyes watching her.

She perked up in recognition, her lollipop almost falling out of her slack mouth as she starred up at the tall male.

“Roku?!” She called out in surprise before the male smiled and pulled the seat next to the blond out, seating himself down next to her. Yoshida Roku looked around the classroom idly, crossing his arms over the surface of the desk as if this was normal.

“I’m glad there’s someone else here my age.” Roku commented before blinking. “Oh, there’s Misora. Oh, and Yuki.” He said, pointing to other classmate’s from their previous class as the mentioned people filled the room, all holding an air of dejection around them. His voice was naturally soft and calm, his demeanour good natured.

He had sat with Kyoko because he knew her from the few times they played soccer together at recess over the years. And Iruka had made them pair up once or twice for class projects.

He looked back at the blond Namikaze heiress who was still looking at him in stunned silence.

“Wha…what are you doing here?” She asked, regaining herself. He had graduated with the others. Hell everyone he had just mentioned had graduated.

She had seen them with forehead protectors.

Roku gave out a suffering sigh as he rested his chin in his hands. “Turns out that you have to pass another test to become a Genin.” He confessed, brow furrowing as he continued to survey the room of younger faces.

It had almost been staggering when he realized that he had to return to the Academy. The rest of his teammates, whom he hadn’t been too chummy with in the first place, had all had similar reactions.

“What? Then why did they make us do the whole test in the Academy?” Kyoko demanded, frustration flashing over her features. Roku shrugged, glancing back at her from the corner of his eye.

“Apparently that’s to see who could become a Genin.” He explained, giving a small smile at the frustration Kyoko was emitting. He could almost see the dark aura beginning to grow around her.

“That is so unfair!” She wailed before hanging her head. “And here I was worrying about not even passing the first test.” She grumbled as Roku straightened up, running a hand absently through his shoulder length, spiky hair.

“Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I hear only nine people actually passed the second test.” Roku offered, only for the entertainment of watching her head hit the desk with a ‘clunk‘, the aura around her growing.

“How does that make it better?” She whined into the wood.

~*~

Sarutobi looked down at the body solemnly before nodding at the coroner who was watching him from behind thick rimmed classes.

“Yes, thank you for showing him to me.” Sarutobi said as the coroner gave a tiny nod before covering the body with the sheet, hiding Hari’s body from sight.

Anko, Izumo, and Kotetsu had brought him back a few days ago but Sarutobi had been quite caught up that it had taken him awhile to get down and look at the body personally. The head made a very distinct, separate bump underneath the sheet as I lay separated from the body underneath the crisp white sheet.

Sarutobi felt like a weight fell upon him as he realized that Kyoko would have to be informed of this development. He had promised to keep her updated on any information on Hari.

He just wished he had something good to tell her instead of the current situation.

He walked back to his office at the top of the tower and with well practiced hands, wrote out the formal letter that all grieving families would receive when a loved one would not return back to them.

It was always distinguishable when these letters were coming because a raven was always the messenger bird used to carry them out. The sight was most common in times of war.

During those gruesome times, the sky seemed to be flecked with black patches as the ravens reigned down on them.

Silently, he signed his signature at the bottom of the letter, reaching over and stamping it with the official seal of Konoha. In the letter, he offered his condolences and promised a proper burial for the body.

He passed the letter off to a Jounin, instructing the man to mail it to the Namikaze Estate. The Jounin took the letter and left to swiftly follow out his duty.

Within minutes, a black raven took off into the bright blue sky.

~*~

“We don’t even know what this child looks like. Iki, this is idiotic.” Haru commented snidely as the three Iwa Nins wove through the streets of Konoha, through the less populated district of the Village.

They had thrown on some common yukata’s on instead of their usual clothing, their weapons and any other suspicious things hidden from view as they blended into what few people occupied these streets. They even had a variation of straw hats placed over their heads.

“We know where she lives.” Iki replied with a glare, the action pulling at his bandages awkwardly. “We just grab her when we enter the house. She‘s probably the only one living there.” He informed.

“Probably isn’t good enough!” Haru snapped. “We were misinformed last time, we shouldn’t be ever again!”

“I agree with Haru.” Yuki interjected before they could get into a full fledged argument in enemy territory, Who knew where the ANBU where hiding. There could be ears everywhere.

They hadn’t come across any Konoha ANBU yet, so Yuki didn’t know how they dressed. For all he knew, they could dress completely different then the Iwa version of ANBU.

They probably only had a day or two at most before the bodies of the two Jounin guards they had killed to get into the village were found. They had hidden the bodies rather hastily upon Iki’s insistence to hurry up.

“Fuck. Fine, we’ll gather some information first and make sure we have our facts straight.” Iki cursed, running a hand through what hair he still had after being burned.

~*~

Kyoko arrived home, a feeling of nostalgia washing over her as she opened the front door and dropped her pack by the front door. It had been close to a week now since her return to the Academy and she had found it now unsightly boring.

They were going over the same things over and over again, the first timers paying rapt attention while Kyoko had to fight herself to pay attention.

It didn’t help that Roku had decided it was practically pointless to pay attention in class as well…at least when it wasn’t sparring, and so had started getting them in trouble by talking to her during class time.

He had deemed her the only person worthy to talk to in class, seeing how he didn’t like Misora, or Yuki, or any of the other graduate flunkies.

Fuji started barking, the sound of paws padding across the ground as he sped towards her.

She braced herself as the dog leapt up at her, barking and wagging his tail. She pushed him off…gently, before petting him like she had seen Hari do so many times before.

He revelled in the attention that she had so rarely shown him before. “Hey.” She greeted before straightening up, slipping out of her shoes and shutting the door behind her.

Fuji followed her obediently as she went into the kitchen, retrieving a water bottle and tucking it under her arm as she let her hair down, only it to bring it up in a tight bun atop of her head.

She made her way to the back of the house, tying her hair in place as she got ready to begin her gymnastics routine. It had been normal for her back when she had been younger.

She grabbed her water bottle in one hand, opening the back door with the other. Fuji trotted ahead of her into the yard, the dog hardly leaving her side since coming back from the Inuzuka house. It still unnerved her, but she was getting used to it.

She blinked when Fuji barked at something black perched up at the top of her high bar.

She did a double take before turning to look at the raven. I

t just sat there, watching her with all the stillness of a statue.

A scroll was tied to it’s leg, and it rustled it’s wing as if impatient, probably having been sitting there for hours.

She felt dread fill her, her skin paling.

Hari had told her once what it meant when you received a message from a raven. Death.

She shook her head in denial while Fuji continued to bark at it, raising up on his back paws and resting his front paws on one of the many bars in the area.

“No…no…go away.” She muttered, stalking towards the bar. The bird hoped closer to the her as it saw her approach and it only made her bristle, her stomach clenching.

“GO AWAY! YOU HAVE THE WRONG HOUSE!” Kyoko yelled, kicking the supporting bars of the contraption of one of the lower bars, hoping the noise would be enough to shoo the foul creature away. It needed to leave.

Leave now and take away it’s message of death.

It just stayed where it stood, head cocking to the side before it held it’s leg out, silently inviting her to take the scroll. To find out that Hari had died.

She launched her water bottle at the creature, the bird only letting out a squawk and flying out of the way before reclaiming it’s place on the high bar as her water bottle flew over the bar, falling to the grass below.

It’s cry made her cringe.

She took the supporting bars in her hands and tried to shake it, but the bird still remained.

“Please…please…” She whispered as her eyes began to water, her stomach turning. Tears dripped down from her eyes as she sniffed, her forehead pressing against the cool metal of the bar in her hands. “Please go away.”

She stayed like that for several minutes, Fuji by her side and barking at the intruding bird. Sobs began wracking through her body, Fuji stopping at the new noise and his ears drooping, nudging her with his nose.

Hari couldn’t be dead. He was the closest thing she had to a father. He just couldn’t be gone… Not forever. He couldn’t leave her alone. What would she do without him? He taught her everything she knew. He couldn’t be--

“Caw!” The bird called out impatiently, shuffling where it stood.

Kyoko froze and Fuji barked at it.

Her head snapped up with a snarl, eyes gleaming with unshed tears. Why was that stupid bird still here?!

Her muscles in her arms tightened as she tightened her grip on the bar in her hands. With an angry yell, pushed her strength against the big metal bars in front of her.

She grunted as they only teetered backwards a fraction. With a loud, half shout, she shoved the small bar forward.

The small thing fell backwards, a loud ‘clang’ echoing through the air as it crashed into the high bar where the bird was situated.

The raven squawked as the high bar shook, the ‘clang’ vibrating before it uprooted and toppled towards the ground, the bar catching the balance beam before toppling to the grass.

The bars all hit the ground at the same time, the sound echoing through the area as the bird, in a panic, attempt to fly away.

Fuji ran after the bird who had tried to fly away, but had flown too low. Fuji caught the bird’s wing in his jaw as he leapt in the air, his teeth sinking into the feathery appendage and dragging the bird down to the ground.

It let out a series of strangled cries as Fuji bit into his prey. Feathers littered the ground, the sound of teeth grinding against bone mixing in with the cries of the dying bird.

~*~

“That was stupid!” Naruto grumbled as he dusted himself, walking down the street. A cloud of soot rose off of his clothes and rolled into the air. It did little to clean him, his orange and blue jumpsuit still having massive patches of black colouring it.

It was stupid, all the pointless missions they were made to do over the past week.

They had just finished cleaning out some old woman’s chimney. And Naruto didn’t know how, but no matter what mission they went on, he always got dirty. One way or another.

Where were all the cool, badass missions? Like blowing up buildings and facing off against rogue ninjas? Maybe protecting a princess or a feudal lord even.

“Naruto! Stop that!” Sakura screeched as she waved away the cloud of soot that had ascended from the blond. Team seven was walking together, Kakashi trailing behind them with his head tucked inside his Icha Icha Paradise book.

Sakura looked close to beyond recognizable, if no one knew her skin was alabaster, they would’ve thought her skin was a dark bistre color. Her red dress was only red at the collar and her hair only had a streak of pink left in it…one side of her bangs surprisingly untouched from the filth.

Sasuke was cleaner in comparison, half of his shirt it’s original color and his white shorts having black streaks from where he brushed against the side of the chimney.

“Kakashi-sensei…when are we going to go on good missions?!” Naruto asked, his voice a mixture of irritation and complaint. Kakashi looked up from over his book.

Out of all of them, he was the one untouched. Not a grain of soot had touched him for he had sat back while they had worked, only giving them absent words of encouragement when they had bothered to address him.

“Well that’s obvious.” He stated, causing all three to stop and look at him. “When the Hokage decides to give us one.”

Naruto and Sakura began yelling at him in protest and complaint, Kakashi backing away before excusing himself and disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

Sakura gave the spot where he had previously been standing a dirty look before complaining about her hair, Sasuke shoving his hands into his now dirty pockets.

“Gah, filthy child.” Someone whispered, Naruto’s acute hearing catching the muttered insult. His eyes swivelled to the middle-aged woman who was glaring at him in disgust.

Out of the three soot covered children, he was the one being glared at. Naruto’s temper flared while Sasuke cast him a slightly curious look.

His lips pulled back in a snarl and the woman froze, eyes wide in fear.

‘Kyoko’s face was one of complete fear. She was afraid of him. Actually afraid of him.’

Naruto recoiled as if scalded, his snarl changing into a grimace as the woman scurried away from him. The memory has been one that had hurt him more then he would care to admit.

His shoulders slumped, Sasuke frowning. What the hell had that been about? Sasuke reached a dirty hand out and pushed Naruto’s head forward, almost causing the male to tumble forward.

“Ow! Fuck, what is it?!” Naruto cussed, rounding on Sasuke while Sakura bristled at the tone he was taking to her beloved. Sasuke showed no indication that Naruto’s anger affected him.

“What was that about?” He asked simply, his emotionless face just starring at him as he gave a small jerk of his head in the direction where the middle aged woman had been standing. Understanding formed on Naruto’s face and he tensed for a second.

“It’s nothing.” He growled, scowling at the Uchiha. Sakura was about to open her mouth to become involved in the conversation as well, when someone turning onto the same street just a few feet ahead of them caught her eye.

“Ah! Kyoko!” Sakura called out happily, turning away and waving an almost black hand in the Namikaze heiress’ direction. The two males paused and watched as Sakura jogged over to the other female, a black dog on a leash at Kyoko’s side.

Naruto jerked away from Sasuke before following after Sakura slowly, Sasuke grunting before following after Naruto.

“Kyoko, I haven’t seen you since the Academy.” Sakura started as she reached the other girl, a smile lighting the Haruno’s face. Kyoko stopped where she stood, Fuji sniffing the Haruno in curiosity before trying to tug on his leash, signalling that he wanted his walk to continue. Sakura ignored this and continued on. “How have you been?”

Kyoko look over at her. Her eyes were puffy and red, and her cheeks were slick where tears had fallen down her face.

Sakura’s smile wiped off her face, the guys just reaching her.

“Oh my god, Kyoko are you ok?” Sakura whispered in concern, jade eyes going huge as she placed her dirty hands on the other girl’s shoulders, forgetting about the smudge marks she would leave there.

“What? What happened?” Naruto asked in confusion, eyebrows drawing together as he looked between the two girls. Kyoko blinked once slowly, before blinking rapidly as her eyes began to water, her bottom lip trembling on it’s own accord.

She knew she shouldn’t have left the house. If Fuji hadn’t been whining and nudging her with his leash in his mouth, she probably wouldn’t have gotten off the bed for days, sobbing into her pillow.

“It…I…Hari…dead…” She worked out, but unfortunately her words were unrecognizable to the others as her voice cracked and faltered, an unbidden sob breaking from her mouth before her tears leaked from her eyes. She pulled out of Sakura’s grasp as her shoulders began to shake, Kyoko wiping at her face while internally fighting to keep herself quiet.

It didn’t work as she began to sob.

Sakura’s concern for her friend grew.

Sasuke surprised his teammates by being the one who talked. “Say that again. We couldn’t hear you.” He commanded, but his voice wasn’t stern or strict. In fact, Sakura thought it was one of the softest tones she had ever heard him use before.

She peered over at him, but he was unchanged, except for the frown that had taken over his mouth. Sasuke couldn’t explain the irritating, angry itch inside his chest as he watched Kyoko cry in front of him.

He didn’t like it. Didn’t like the sound of her crying, or the way it made her seem weak. He had the urge to just try and protect her….just to get her to stop crying.

Kyoko repeated the words between sobs, but they were able to make them out this time.

“Oh Kyoko…” Sakura cooed in sympathy. “I’m so sorry.” She continued, moving so she was astride the blond female and reaching an arm out to wrap around her shoulders. Kyoko accepted the act of comfort while the two males looked at her, Naruto at a loss of what to do.

“Here Kyoko, why don’t I take you home?” Sakura asked softly as she began leading the Namikaze female down the street, Fuji walking at their side, perking up at the prospect of walking again.

Naruto’s blue eyes hardened as an idea came to him and he reached a hand out towards Kyoko, stopping Sakura and Kyoko, though Kyoko couldn’t see, hand still wiping at her eyes.

She was his sister…according to Sarutobi and Kyoko. He should be the one helping her home when she was like this.

“Here Sakura-chan, I’ll take her home.” Naruto instructed his pink haired teammate as Kyoko’s sobs dwindled into loud sniffles. Sakura cast him a weird look, one eyebrow raising in a sceptical manor.

“Naruto, I think--” Sakura started but Kyoko cut her off by reaching her hand out blindly and grasping onto Naruto’s fingers. Naruto was mildly surprised by how easy she had seemed to consent as well, but he didn’t let it show on his face as he pulled her forward and began leading her down the street.

“Don’t worry Sakura-chan,” Naruto called back over his shoulder. “I’m her brother.”

Sakura gaped at him as they disappeared around a corner before she turned to look at Sasuke. Did he know?

The Uchiha watched the two Namikaze twins disappear from site with a look of unconcern on his face before he turned and continued on his way to his apartment. Sakura looked like she wanted to scream at the sky for not being told anything, before she remembered how dirty she still was.

Turning, she went and made a beeline for home.

~*~

Naruto tried not to think much as he made her way to the Namikaze estate, Kyoko still on his one side while Fuji was on his other side. He had taken the leash from her hand down one of the streets.

Her sniffling her quieted down considerably, and now she hiccupped ever now and then, but seemed content to let Naruto lead her back home.

He caught a villagers eye and the villager looked aghast that the demon child was holding the hand of the Yondaime’s daughter. Naruto sent the villager a glare, the villager scuttling out of sight.

“Thank you.”

Naruto blinked twice before looking over his shoulder to where Kyoko was trailing behind him, head bent and shoulder hunched up. Her voice had been so quiet, he was sure he must’ve imagined it.

“Huh?” He asked intelligently, cocking his head to the side.

“I…thank you.” She said again, Naruto seeing her lips move to form the words as she said them. Naruto digested them and slowly nodded before tightening his grip on her hand.

“No problem.” He reassured.

For the very first time…they felt like real siblings.

It took only a couple minutes for Naruto to arrive on the same street as the Namikaze estate. He narrowly missed running into three men wearing straw hats who were walking along the same street, Naruto apologizing before ushering both Kyoko and Fuji inside.

~*~
Learning to Die by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 19: Learning to Die

~*~

It had been three days since Naruto walked Kyoko home, but he ended up staying for supper, which ended up in him staying the night. He had practically taken over one of the spare rooms she had in the house, making it seem more lived in then she had remembered it ever having ever been in years.

After having walked her home, he had openly investigated her house, looking over each and every picture of their parents. After showering and changing into some clean clothes of course.

He had known what the Yondaime, Minato, had looked like, but didn’t even know anything about his mother.

It was nice to have a face and a name to go along with the title. She was beautiful, this Uzumaki Kushina lady.

Then Kyoko had led him to the still untouched, master bedroom.

He had walked in just how Kyoko had all those years ago, as if afraid that if he moved too quickly, or talked, it would disappear on him. She had watched him silently from the doorway as he took down Minato’s cloak from the mirror.

He took the cloak down, merely holding the red and white cloth in his hands, and starring at it. When they continued around the house, Kyoko could’ve swore she saw a look of envy settle across Naruto’s face as he looked around the house.

But then they had passed by Hari’s room.

Kyoko glanced into the still open doorway, grabbed the door and slammed it closed, the door rattling in it’s hinges from the force. The look of grief must’ve shown on her face because whatever avarice that had started to show on Naruto’s face disappeared as he slowly urged her on down the hall.

When it began to get dark out, Naruto hesitated in leaving. He felt horrible about leaving her alone with just Fuji for company when she had just found out Hari had died. Would she break down crying as soon as he left? Lock herself in her room and not come out? Fall into depression?

Either way, Naruto knew the pain of loneliness and how it could break the heart. Shatter it to pieces.

So he tried to stall his departure, wary about leaving Kyoko.

Kyoko in turn, welcomed the distraction and comfort of another human being. She knew she would crumple the second she was alone. The moment she let it actually sink in and register that Hari was never coming home. Ever.

So Naruto had ended up staying in the spare bedroom. For three days.

“Hey, I thought you had a mission today? Get up.”

Naruto grumbled in protest, rolling over and nuzzling into the pillow. Kyoko shook his shoulder, but Naruto merely grumbled at her sleepily, ignoring her wake up call. He had been up late into the night, being able to hear her crying in her room.

The sound had made him feel horrible inside, but he knew she would get better eventually. She was already starting to heal from what he could see. She was carrying longer conversations and a rare small, yet sad, smile would pop up every now and then.

“Fine, I’ll let Fuji get you up.” She muttered in warning, but Naruto ignored her, Kyoko scowling before exiting the room. In a minute there was the distinct sound of paws on the ground before the bed creaked from extra weight.

“Hmm?” Naruto murmured sleepily, eyes opening halfway.

Something wet licked his face, repeating the action severely as Naruto yelped, sitting upright swiftly to get away from the canine.

“Ah! No, Fuji! Stop!” Naruto squeaked in protest as he tried to fight the dog off, Fuji still trying to lick Naruto’s face. Half of Naruto’s hair was wet and sticking straight up…more so then usual, and dog drool was dripping down Naruto’s cheek.

“No fair!” Naruto called loudly into the hall as he walked towards the bathroom, leaving Fuji to nestle himself on Naruto’s now unoccupied bed. Kyoko was retreating from her bedroom, school bag swinging from her hand.

“I warned you.” She stated simply. “I’m going to the Academy.” She started before pausing and looking at him sternly. “Don’t miss your mission.”

“Yeah yeah.” Naruto reassured, waving her off before using the sleeve of his borrowed pyjamas to wipe off the dog drool that still fell down his left cheek. Kyoko shook her head before disappearing from sight, Naruto hearing the sound of the front door opening and closing.

It didn’t take him long to get showered and changed. His blue and orange jumpsuit having gone through the washer and dryer, and now cleansed of any soot that he could see. The past three days, he had been tromping about in the manliest clothes he could find in Kyoko’s room.

Which was something that he would never tell anyone. Ever. He even made Kyoko promise never to tell. The reason for this was because Hari’s…or his father’s clothing, would all be way too big for him.

He would trip over himself way more then usual.

As he walked out the front door with a cup of steaming instant ramen in one hand, planning to eat while he walked to the meeting place, he blinked in surprise.

There were three men walking up the street. That in itself wasn’t unusual. It was a street after all.

What was strange was the straw hats on their heads. Naruto could’ve swore they were the same hats placed on the people’s heads that he had almost ran into three days ago.

‘Maybe they live nearby?’ Naruto pondered as he eyed the three people carefully, walking out onto the street. He caught one man’s eye, the one man heavily bandaged.

A sense of danger shivered down Naruto’s spine.

~*~

Roku yawned as he listened to Iruka ramble on about jutsus and the different ones they would be learning this year. He already knew all of them.

This was a waste of time.

The first timers however, copied what he was saying down obediently, Roku restraining himself from rolling his eyes.

A deep gasp from beside him jerked him upright.

“What? What?” He asked, looking around.

Kyoko’s eyes were huge, her mouth parted. She suddenly fisted a chunk of her bangs.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t believe I forgot about it!” Kyoko cried to herself. “Damn! What was it called?”

“What?” Roku asked impatiently, brow furrowing together as he scooted his chair closer to her. She barely heard him as she dug around in her school bag for a pencil. In the past three days, this was the most active she had probably been.

“The jutsu I saw when I looked inside the scroll of Sealing.” Kyoko answered quickly as she found a pencil and a notebook, flipping the unused notebook open and tapping her pencil against it lightly.

Her face screwed up in concentration, trying to remember the seals and name of the jutsu, Roku watching her warily.

“Uh Kyoko…” He called out, glancing at Iruka before glancing back at her. “You look like you’re going to have a stroke.”

“Shh!” She hissed, closing her eyes and tapping her feet against the floor. It seemed so long ago! Why hadn’t she remember this earlier? What was the blasted thing called? What were the hand signs?

Roku cast her another glance before looking out around the classroom again. No one was looking at them. No one hardly ever did. For at least an hour, Kyoko looked like she was about to have a stroke, Roku almost wanting to advise she stop in fear that her face would stay that way.

When…

“Jinkouteki Zetsumei no Jutsu (Artificial Death)!” She cried out so suddenly Roku banged his knee on his desk. Many people stopped to look at her, craning in their desks to do so.

Luckily for her, Iruka had been called into the hallway to discuss something with another teacher, and so hadn’t heard her yell out an almost forbidden jutsu.

She ducked her head at everyone’s attention, cheeks turning pink, before scribbling the name on the top of her still untouched page.

“Jinkouteki Zetsumei no Jutsu ?” Roku questioned curiously as he tilted the head to the side, watching as she bit her bottom lip, muttering to herself, before writing down hand signs. At least the ones she thought went along with it.

“Mhmm.” She nodded absently as she wrote down another one, scrunching up her face again. “I think it was…ram and then…dog?” She murmured out loud, erasing one of her earlier hand sign suggestions and replacing it with the ones she just said.

“You think?” Roku voiced, raising a brow. His question earned him a scowl.

“I haven’t seen the scroll in weeks and I only barely read the jutsu all the way through.” She grumbled.

“You realize that there could be thousands of hand sign combinations right?” He informed. Her shoulders slumped as her pencil stilled on the page. Her gaze returned to her writing as she looked at the notepad for a second, biting on her bottom lip.

“Well…” She started, before tapping the paper once with the tip of her pencil. “Something has to work.”

“Roku! Kyoko! Stop talking back there! Stay after class today!” Iruka barked as he walked back into the classroom, not even bothering to look into their corner as their voices reached his ears. They were always the ones talking.

“Hey! No fair!” Roku called out indignantly as a few kids around them began chuckling.

~*~

The ANBU’s returning from a mission were like shadows as they eased through the trees, the branches giving no indication that people were even jumping on them, the weight so precise and light that the branches didn’t even waver.

Even in broad daylight, they were unrecognizable to the naked eye. One man stopped, chakra from his feet fusing him sideways to the tree trunk. Noticing this, the other ANBU stopped as well, two trees ahead of his partner.

“What is it Hawk?” He asked as he craned his porcelain face to look at the taller man, his mask having the markings of a tiger.

“There’s something over in those bushes.” Hawk replied as he pointed to the area to his left. Tiger only starred at him, whatever facial expressions he was wearing, hidden.

“What, like a squirrel or something?” Tiger asked sarcastically. Tiger didn’t need to see Hawk’s face to feel the glare piercing through him behind Hawk’s mask.

“No.” Hawk ground out irritably. “Not a squirrel.”

Before Tiger could continue to question him, Hawk gracefully made his way towards the bushes, leaping down from the tree he had been occupying and disappearing into the foliage. Tiger just sighed, taking up Hawk’s recently vacated tree, and waiting for him to reappear.

He wanted to get back to Konoha and relax. They had been travelling for close to two days straight and to add that with the battle that the mission had required, Tiger was exhausted. He wanted to rest.

“Hey Tiger.” Hawk’s voice called up to him.

“Hmm?”

“You might want to see this.” Hawk continued, Tiger frowning. Hawk‘s ever calm voice held no emotion betraying whether he should be weary about whatever discovery Hawk had found. The hell? What could he have found?

“I swear, if it honestly is a pack of squirrels or any form of wild life, I’m hurting you.” Tiger groaned as he easily flipped off the tree before trudging into the bushes as well.

It took him a second to locate his partner, but when he did, he froze momentarily.

In the roots of a rather large tree, as if someone had tried to hide them in a rush, were two bodies, dried blood oozing from gaping wounds in theirs torsos and theirs heads. Theirs mouths were hanging open, one much more disturbingly so…as if the jaw bone was broken and it couldn’t hold itself properly. Bugs were begin to crawl over the bodies, beginning to break them down into food.

“You‘re Byakugan allowed you to spot them even from up in that tree?” Tiger asked as he padded closer to the bodies, spotting the Konoha forehead protectors they both wore, though blood spatters sullied the metal.

Tiger only nodded from where he was knelt, inspecting one of the bodies. “These two were guards for the Konoha wall.” Tiger continued, brow furrowing beneath his mask. “I recognize them.” He clarified, almost sensing the question on Tiger’s tongue.

Hawk flashed his hands through a series of hand signs, ready to summon an animal. “We should tell the Hokage. Warn him to be on the look-out for any intruders in Konoha.” He said before a bird ‘poofed’ into existence before him, intelligent brown eyes starring up at the Hyuuga readily.

Tiger nodded, now even more anxious to get back to Konoha.

~*~

“I think I got it!” Naruto yelled boisterously as he screeched around the corner, dust kicking up around his heels. He sprinted into the alley, the brown cat at the dead end yowling as it tried to scramble away from him.

It managed to wiggle it’s way through a hole under the fence, Naruto trying to stumble to a stop, only proceeding to smack into the fence and land on his ass.

“Naruto! We told you not to act yet!” Sakura scolded through the earpiece, Naruto scowling as he got to his feet and scrambled over the fence with practiced ease.

He pointedly ignored her.

“Sasuke, it’s headed towards Ichiraku Ramen!” Naruto instructed into the earpiece, although his teammates weren’t too far that if he screamed loud enough, they probably could’ve heard him.

“Dobe.” Was Sasuke’s one word response.

“…Naruto…” Kakashi sighed, his voice crackling slightly. He was standing in a completely other street, watching them from the top of a tower with his Icha Icha book held in one hand and binoculars in another.

“I’m supposed to be giving the orders here.” He informed, Naruto rolling his eyes at Kakashi’s voice. “Besides, just charging at Tora head long isn’t going to catch the thing.” He advised.

“We’ll catch him.” Naruto assured, waving off Kakashi’s words of wisdom though Kakashi didn’t have his binoculars fixed on the blond at the moment. They were currently fixed on the brunette male at the moment who was currently having his own encounter with the cat.

His eye widened when he saw flames shoot from the Uchiha.

“Sasuke! Don’t burn the cat!” Kakashi scolded, the flames cutting up short as Kakashi’s words rung sharply in Sasuke’s ears, making his jutsu stop. Sasuke scowled, grunting as Naruto’s laughter filled all their heads.

Thanks to this delay, the now very frightened cat, sped off, team 7 trailing after it.

It was going to be a long day.

~*~

Roku was at the very back of the classroom, his feet propped up lazily in the desk in front of him while his hands rested on his stomach. During detention, they weren’t allowed to talk.

To make sure this didn’t happen, Iruka had placed him at the very back of the room while Kyoko sat at the very front of the room.

Since Roku had nothing else to do, he just sat there and watched her. She had her notepad from earlier out again, this time the paper laying untouched on top of her desk. Her blue eyes were starring at it, memorizing it as her hands began copying the signs she had scribbled to herself on the page.

Even from the distance of the classroom, Roku could hear the small mutter of the jutsu.

Kyoko jerked forward for a split second, only to jerk right back up, blinking rapidly in surprise. She frowned before erasing something on her page and scribbling something else.

Roku only smiled, shaking his head as Kyoko persisted, trying once again to only get the same effect. She began grumbling curses to herself when her paper ripped from erasing it too hard, Kyoko turning to another page and copying everything down from the ruined page.

From her grumbling, Kyoko felt Roku’s eyes on her, and turned in her seat to look at him. He just grinned when he saw that her attention, which had been so focused before, was now fixed on him.

A small part of him felt warm when she smiled back at him.

She held up her piece of ruined paper to show him what had happened. He only shook his head in amusement as she turned around again.

Roku watched her for another few seconds, looking at the way her blond locks fell into her eyes, her long pigtails falling over her shoulders. He had to admit…she was quite pretty.

The sound of a desk drawer closing brought his attention to the front of the classroom, drowning out Kyoko‘s muttering of the jutsu. Iruka, the Chuunin, was marking some papers up at his desk, hardly paying them any mind. Yet Roku knew that if they even moved from their desks, Iruka would notice.

Roku sighed as he looked up at the clock on the wall. Another ten minutes to go.

He looked over at Kyoko before jerking upright, his stomach lurching.

The blond was sprawled out across the top of her desk, one arm hanging limply from the corner of the desk, pencil lying on the ground out of her reach. If anyone had just walked into the room, or hadn’t been watching her like Roku had, they would’ve mistaken it for heavy sleep.

But something about it was deathly eerie.

“Iruka-sensei!” Roku called out, his voice more urgent then he intended. Without even thinking about it, he was already across the classroom and crouching next to Kyoko, peeling her back from the desk.

Her eyes were open, unblinking, and her mouth was parted as if she had just finished saying something.

Iruka looked up, ready to scold Roku for talking during detention when he saw the copper haired boy practically hauling Kyoko out of her seat, the blond looking like a limp doll.

“What happened?” Iruka asked as he got up from his seat, coming to Roku side as Roku laid her down on the ground. That’s when Iruka noticed something the same time Roku did.

She wasn’t breathing. Not at all.

Roku felt goosebumps crawl over his flesh as his breathing quickened.

“She was…she was just practicing a jutsu.” Roku verified as he pointed to her desk, the notepad now sitting at an angle from having Kyoko’s body suddenly toppled on top of it.

Iruka grabbed the notepad swiftly as Roku continued to kneel beside Kyoko.

“Jinkouteki Zetsumei no Jutsu?!” Iruka yelped as he looked up at the top of the page where Kyoko had scribbled the name of the jutsu. “Are you insane?” He yelled at Roku, before realizing he was yelling at the wrong person. “Are you insane?!” He yelled at Kyoko’s prone body.

“What? What does it do?” Roku asked as Iruka continued to scowl at the blond female, concern barely concealed in his gaze. If she didn’t wake up from this peacefully, she could deal heavy damage to herself.

“It’s a very dangerous jutsu that allows the user to go into a death like state, the body using the casters chakra to survive for several minutes. If it‘s done wrong though, she could kill herself.”

Roku seemed to freeze at his words, letting them register in his head.

Iruka continued talking. “Her heart might not start up again, or her lungs might freeze up while her body works, suffocating herse-”

Kyoko gasped as her body arched against the floor, Roku jumping in surprise. Her eyes fluttered as she just lay there for a couple seconds before she looked around, seeming to realize she was no longer in her desk, and that there were two males sitting over her. Her whole body was tingling as her chakra whirled around inside of her.

“Um…” She started as she slowly propped herself up.

Iruka was about to yell at her. How on Earth did she know such a dangerous jutsu like this? Didn’t she know the risks involved in it?!

Roku beat him to it.

“Are you stupid?!” Roku yelled, Kyoko starring at him with wide eyes, taken aback.

Not in all the time she had known him throughout the Academy, had he ever yelled. Now though, he looked almost panicky.

“You could’ve died!”

“But I--” Kyoko started.

“No!” He snarled, grabbing her wrist and hauling her to her feet. “We’re taking you to a doctor right now! You could’ve damaged one of your organs…or….or I don’t know!” He exclaimed, throwing his free hand in the air.

“Are you trying to kill yourself?!” He snapped.

Kyoko flinched at those words. A picture of the raven standing in her yard stood out vividly in her mind, making her cringe.

“No.” She whispered as she let Roku drag her towards the door. Iruka didn’t stop them as they went out of the room, the door slamming shut behind them.

“Roku I’m fine. I mean, it worked right? I must’ve got everything right.” Kyoko tried as they left the Academy building. “Why don’t you just take me home?”

“After you get checked out by a doctor.” Roku replied, his voice sounding, to Kyoko’s relief, not as angry as before. He must be calming down. Kyoko nodded before the two blinked as three masses of orange filled their vision.

“Naruto?” Kyoko called out in confusion as three identical versions of her brother littered the street, all looking around in every which way. “What are you doing?”

“Looking for a cat.” Naruto 2 responded from his position standing on top of a street light, one hand shielding his eyes from the sun. “I decided to use my clones to fan out cause we lost sight of it.”

Naruto 3 blinked as he looked the two over. “What are you two doing?” He asked, his mouth quirking up in a sly smile.

“Kyoko’s trying to kill herself. I’m taking her to a doctor.” Roku informed briskly.

“I am not!” Kyoko protested as she saw all three Naruto’s snap to attention, blue eyes fixated on her and faces stunned. “I’m fine! Really!” She persisted, turning to Naruto this time.

Maybe he would understand and just take her home instead of taking her to the hospital.

The Naruto’s looked at each other before Naruto 3 strode over, coming up beside her.

“I’ll come along.” Naruto informed, Kyoko inwardly resigning herself to her fate as Roku continued to drag her along, Naruto’s clone beside her.

~*~

“I told him I was fine.” Kyoko grumbled as she readjusted her pigtails, Naruto 3 walking beside her as they made their way back to the Namikaze Estate. The Medic Nin had done a brief check up one her before informing them that she was fine.

Roku, now relieved of his worries for the time being, left for home while Naruto took Kyoko back to the estate.

“What were you even doing?” Naruto 3 asked, Kyoko proceeding to explain the jutsu to him and how she had been practicing during detention.

“But now I left the notepad back in the classroom. I think I can remember how the jutsu went though.” Kyoko said mostly to herself as she bit the nail of her thumb. The Namikaze Estate doors that lead to the front yard came into view, and the two absently pushed them open, neither noticing the three shadows crouched on top of the wall.

The shadows moved silently as the estate doors closed.

“I don’t think Iruka-sensei will give it to me th--” Kyoko started before a solid thud from behind them made them whirl around, Naruto pulling out a kunai reflectively. A tall, burly male was quick to drive a fist in Naruto’s face, Naruto disappearing in a puff of smoke.

Kyoko made to jump away when a slimmer male came into view on her other side. His leg came up in a well placed kick, his heel driving into her stomach.

Spit flew from her mouth as she flew into the chest of a shorter man. Haru wrapped an arm around the winded female, his other hand covering her mouth.

Kyoko inhaled the fumes of the cloth covering her mouth and nose, the scent making her brain go foggy, her limbs feeling like led. Her eyes began to droop as she coughed into the cloth before she fell backwards, all of her weight leaning against the elderly man.

~*~

“Finally!” Sakura breathed in relief as Naruto held the cat in his arms, the brown cat yowling and scratching his arms in a flurry of protest. Sasuke watched as Tora used Naruto as a scratching post.

“Fucking cat.” Naruto hissed as his struggled to maintain his hold on the feline, ignoring the sting of it’s claws on his arms. After he had made all of his clones, a few of them were able to chase it down and they were finally able to corner it.

“Kakashi-sensei.” Sakura said into her earpiece, sounding winded. “We got Tora.”

“Good job.” Kakashi replied back, his voice echoing through all their heads.

Then with a yowl of triumph and surprise, the cat landed on the ground. Sakura shrieked in surprise.

“Dobe!” Sasuke hissed angrily as Tora went racing down the street. Sakura and Sasuke turned, ready to round on Naruto when they saw the look on his face. His eyes were huge and glassy, like he was looking off into the distance.

The memories of his shadow clone were rushing through his head.

Without a word, Naruto went racing down the street, a look of fiery determination blazing on his face.

“Wait! Naruto!” Sakura cried out before chasing after the blond.

~*~
Pursuit by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: This chapter strangely made me mad. I knew how I wanted it to turn out but the words just didn’t seem to flow onto the page nicely and I kept getting mad at it. I suck at fight scenes and I know it, but I wanted the chapter to be good so I kept trying to get different references for my fight scenes. Please don't be angry at me if the fights aren't what you expected.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 20: Pursuit

~*~

Kakashi blinked in surprise as he watched his students begin running down alleys, Naruto leaping over the fences with ease. He cradled his ear as it soon erupted with disgruntled voices, all yelling at the orange clad male.

“You let the cat go!” Sakura yelled, her voice higher then usual. “Where are we even going?!”

“Dobe.” Sasuke growled as he tried to get Naruto to slow down. He had clearly seen the cat go in the other direction and if Naruto didn’t stop soon, he was going to abandon him and go after it himself.

“Naruto! I’m asking you a question!”

“Dobe.”

Kakashi sighed, closing his eye as he walked along the length of the roof, hopping across to the roof next to it as he walked along in the direction that they were all apparently heading. He opened his eye, looking down into the street in time to see Sakura’s red dress disappear around the corner.

Kakashi pressed a button on his earpiece, the buzz reaching all of his students. “Naruto, where are you going?” He sighed in mild irritation. They had been running after that cat practically all day.

Now it was gone and he had Sakura screeching in his ear. It wasn’t pleasant. She could get very loud when she wanted to.

For a moment it didn’t seem that Naruto was going to answer him and Sakura was telling him off for not doing so. Her voice was steadily getting louder, making Naruto having to yell to be heard over her.

“Kyoko’s been attacked!”

Silence fell upon all of them, save for the bustle of Village life as people walked by.

“A…attacked?” Sakura squeaked in shock while Kakashi frowned, scowling as he did so. He leapt across a couple more building, soon alongside his students although he was up on the rooftops. He could see them easily now. Sasuke seemed to have picked up his pace, now running alongside Naruto while Sakura lagged behind.

“How do you know this?” Kakashi asked sternly as he pocketed his binoculars, placing a bookmark in his Icha Icha book before closing it and placing the small orange book in the pocket of his flak jacket.

Still running, Naruto opened his mouth to reply before closing it, his face screwing up into confusion.

“I’m not exactly sure…” He started as he wove around a crowd of people. “But I had a Kage Bunshin with her when it happened. It got destroyed and then I just…knew…” Naruto explained, one hand running through his hair as he explained.

Kakashi almost stumbled mid stride. Naruto knew Kage Bunshin no Jutsu but didn’t even know one of it’s main secrets? If the situation wasn’t serious, he probably would’ve slapped his forehead. But for the moment, he decided to overlook it.

“Where is she?” Sasuke asked, glancing at Naruto from the corner of his eye. Naruto met his gaze and some weird sort of unspoken understanding went through them.

“Right in front of the Namikaze Estate.” Naruto said as the two boys simultaneously increased their speed even more, Sakura struggling to remain just a few strides behind them.

~*~

The Hokage frowned as he read the quick message that a team of returning ANBU had sent him. Their hawk summon had ‘poofed’ into his office with the message and had flown up onto his desk where it was still currently perched, watching his every movement.

It was possibly waiting to see if he would like it to give the ANBU any further instruction on how to proceed.

The ANBU’s had encoded the message, despite how short it was. But Sarutobi couldn’t be upset with them, it was how they were trained. To always be careful in case anything they sent were to be intercepted by someone else.

The letter warned of possible intruders in Konoha. They had found two dead bodies that had once been guards for the Konoha gate. Kill the guards of the gate, you could get into the Village. But judging by the state the corpses were in, they had been there for a few days already, according to the message. So who was to say that the intruders were still in the Village?

It was still worrisome all the same.

And a stirring in his gut gave him a suspicion, even though it wasn’t confirmed, that it might just be Iwa Shinobi. They had snuck into the Village once before and kidnapped Hiroshi Hari, and before that Jiraiya had warned him to be weary of them.

If it was the Iwa ninjas, Jiraiya would be furious if he wasn’t informed.

A knock on the door made him look up, the hawk on his desk twisting it’s head to peer at the door as well.

“Come in.” Sarutobi beckoned, the door opening to reveal two ANBU standing in the doorway, masks still secured on their faces. Hawk and Tiger walked into the office before kneeling in front of him, Sarutobi nodding before signalling for them to stand up.

The hawk summon on his desk extended it’s wings before flying and landing on Hawk’s shoulder, the ANBU shifting it’s shoulder slightly to avoid getting clipped by the bird’s sharp talons.

“Hokage-sama.” Tiger started. “We transported the two bodies we found to the morgue.” He informed, Sarutobi nodding in understanding. There would be no need to take them to the hospital if it was obvious that they were dead.

“Hokage-sama, what would you like us to do about the intruders?” Hawk questioned, continuing to shift his weight as the bird on his shoulder continued to move about. Sarutobi’s face shifted into one of thought before his gaze locked onto Hawk’s.

“Hawk, go inform the other ANBU and Jounins to be on the look out for any suspicious people who may be our intruders.”

Hawk nodded before turning and leaving the office.

“Tiger, go see if you can find Jiraiya, he might still be in the Village”

Tiger made to move, not quite understanding the orders, but not one to question them either.

“Tell him,” Sarutobi continued, making Tiger pause and turn his porcelian mask back in his direction. “tell him to go check up on the Namikaze heiress again. He’ll know why.”

“Would you have any suggestion on where he would be?” Tiger asked after a second of silence. The Sandaime sighed, rubbing his temples.

“Try the hot springs first and then fan out from there.”

~*~

The Namikaze Estate was empty and untouched when the three Genins reached it, Sakura scowling and scanning it with an untrained eye while Kakashi instantly leapt down to join them, his single eye taking in the scuffed footprints on the ground.

There had been about five people, three of which were probably adults. The smaller footprints were probably Kyoko’s and Naruto’s clone.

Naruto’s teeth gnashed together as his hands balled into fists at his side. “Damnit! We were too late!”

“Naruto, are you sure this happened?” Sakura questioned sceptically, frowning as she walked around the front yard. He had been with them the time this was supposed to have happened.

The snarl that Naruto directed towards her made her flinch, gulping. The dark look was almost frighteningly intimidating on his face. And it didn’t help that Sasuke was glaring at her as well over Naruto’s shoulder.

“Sakura,” Kakashi called, his voice refreshingly calm in contrast to his two male students. “You shouldn’t be quick to brush these things off. There are footprints in the ground over here that are fairly recent.” Kakashi continued, pointing out said prints to the female with his hand.

Sakura felt abashed as she faintly nodded her head.

“Naruto.” Kakashi called out, the blond blinking and turning his gaze onto the silver haired Jounin. “Can you go into the house and get me something that belonged to Kyoko?” He asked politely.

At this, Naruto couldn’t help screwing his face up in confusion, raising a brow before running into the house to do what he was told. Sasuke watched as Naruto opened the front door, instantly yelling for Fuji to stay as a black dog instantly appeared in view.

It listened and disappeared into the house with Naruto. After a minute or two, Naruto returned with a brush in hand, the blond turning and shutting the door in time before the dog could follow him out of the house. Naruto came over and handed the object to Kakashi who nodded his thanks.

Kakashi flashed his hands through some quick hand seals, the movements too quick for their eyes to catch all the different signs, before he thrust his palm upon the ground.

“Kuchiyose no Jutsu. (Summoning)”

Black markings swirled on the ground before a puff of smoke rose up with a loud ‘poof’. It dispersed, revealing a brown pug dressed in a blue vest and a Konoha forehead protector secured on top of his head behind it‘s ears.

The dog looked around, blinking drowsily a few times before his gaze fixed on Kakashi’s masked face. If Sakura hadn’t read up on summons before in the Academy, the intelligence behind the animals eyes would’ve startled her. Especially when it opened it’s mouth and began speaking.

“Ah…Kakashi…what is it?” He asked as he stood up on all four legs, his voice sounding gruff and reminding Sakura off a rather sleepy old man. In her opinion anyway.

“Pakkun,” Kakashi greeted the dog summon before he held the brush out towards the canine. “can you help us track this person?”

The pug looked down at the brush stuck out before him, ignoring the set of blue eyes that were watching him closely, before he leaned forward and sniffed, the scent swirling into his sensitive nose. He ignored the plastic smell of the brush, fixating on the faint smell of oranges and the artificial smell of candy.

Everyone watched as Pakkun tore himself away from the brush, sticking his nose into the air and breathing in through his nose, walking around the front yard. Naruto was almost bouncing on his feet in irritation, ready to get going and continue his search.

The longer they wasted time standing around, the farther away the people could be getting. The logical side of his brain that was getting muffled in all of his anger told him that they needed Pakkun in order to find Kyoko.

Pakkun flicked his head, looking at them over his small furry shoulder. “They went this way.” He said, jerking his head as Naruto eagerly bounded over, a look of anticipation on his face.

~*~

Iki growled in pure irritation as Yuki stopped, the big man turning around to face the direction they just came. His goggles made whirring sounds as they tried to fixated on something in the distance that they couldn’t see, Yuki unconsciously tightening his grip on the knocked out girl in his grip.

“What?! Yuki I swear, it had better be good!” Iki snarled, rounding on the tall, older male. It had been the fourth time he had done that already. Yuki just stayed silent while Haru watched him curiously, the balding man looking at Yuki before looking in the same direction Yuki was, as if trying to see what he was looking at.

“We’re being followed.” Yuki replied, his voice hushed as if he thought the pursuers could hear them. This bout of information made Iki’s anger at Yuki disperse as he blinked in surprise, straightening up. Then he seemed to regain himself as his eyes hardened.

“How long have they been following us?” Iki asked as he walked over to Yuki, trying to remember himself when it was that Yuki first started to turn around to look over his shoulder. It had been after they had left the Village and were well into the forest.

“I just started noticing the past ten minutes or so. They’re not too close but they’re close enough for me to see them. They must be tracking us somehow because they’ve been taking our exact same course.” Yuki explained as his goggles made a whirring sound again, adjusting themselves.

Iki scowled at the news. Although they hadn’t made their route extremely complex and out of the way, they had been zigzagging every now and then and doing other tactics to make it a little harder to be followed.

It obviously wasn’t working.

“They could be after the girl.” Haru suggested as he looked down at the Namikaze heiress, still passed out and limp in Yuki’s arm, her pigtails almost touching the ground from where they draped over his bicep. “I told you this was a stupid plan.”

“How? We didn’t even send a ransom message yet?” Iki asked in frustration, ignoring Haru‘s second statement. “How would they know she was gone if w--” Iki started before his visible eye widened.

‘Yuki punched another kid right in the face before I kicked the Kyoko girl. Which meant there was someone else there. And that someone turned to smoke after Yuki hit him.’ Iki realized before cussing loudly, and colourfully. Could that person have sent a squad of ninjas after them?

Damnit all!

Usually Iki would’ve been the one voting for a full frontal confrontation to just get this over with, and for the overall joy of just getting rid of them. But now that he had the girl, he was irritated that he hadn’t even had the chance to send out a ransom and at least be a good few days from the Village before people started following him. It was pissing him off.

“How many are there?” Iki growled, running a hand through what little hair he had. Could they ambush them and get rid of them soon? If it was the girl that they were after then it was obvious that they were going to have to fight soon. Unless…

Iki glanced at both Yuki and Haru. He could always take the girl and take off, leaving them behind. It had been his idea, after all, to come back for the girl.

At Iki’s question, Yuki frowned before handing Kyoko to Iki who faltered in grabbing her correctly, her head lolling back over his arm and her arm dangling by her side. Haru turned to watch Yuki fully as he made a beeline for a tree.

“Hey!” Iki shouted out from the sudden action while Yuki disappeared into a nearby tree. He clambered to the top, the lenses of his goggles extending from theirs frames as they tried to pinpoint their pursuers. Iki glanced down at Kyoko before glancing at his two companions once more, his previous thoughts of betrayal now seeming more prominent in his head.

It really would be so simple a thing to do.

“There are four people and one animal…it seems.” Yuki relayed after a couple moments of silence. The animal had taken him a moment to figure out since his goggles only showed infrared and the animal…a dog he was guessing…was much smaller then all the others.

Haru turned to look at Iki before he jerked back, smoke enveloping the air around them. He got over his mild shock as the momentary smoke cleared, revealing the area that Iki had previously been standing completely empty.

“Wha…? Why that…that bastard!” Haru yelled as a vein in his throat bulged, his face turning an odd shade of burgundy, causing Yuki to turn to face him. “He disappeared with the girl!”

Yuki frowned, scowling as he leapt down from his position on the tree.

“That son of a bitch! He’s using us as decoys while he gets away!” Haru ranted as he drove his fist into a nearby tree, the bark splintering from the force of the contact. Yuki looked over at Haru rather wearily, never quite sure how to deal with the elderly man when his temper went off.

“We might be able to take the group of ninjas heading our way.” Yuki piped up, making Haru’s ears perk up. “Three out of the four people seem to be quite small. I would say that they would only be Genins.”

Haru’s face decreased from it’s burgundy color as he let the words process in his head. If they could somehow beat this squad of ninjas, then they could catch up with Iki. His eyes glinted maliciously. Then he would pay back that traitorous bastard!

“So that would make the other person their squad leader…a Jounin no doubt.” Haru concluded as he closed his eyes, taking in what he hoped would be a calming breath.

Oh Iki, just wait. He would get his.

But first they had to deal with the Konoha Shinobi. The Jounin would be the most troubling. Get rid of him first.

~*~

Kakashi was the first to notice a difference as they bounded through the forest, following Pakkun’s nose. He was the only one shooting through the trees, his three student’s still oblivious to fact that they could place chakra on their feet and climb trees or branches.

He tensed as he sensed something up ahead, his training from his time in the ANBU starting to crawl over him and take over his mind. He automatically focused all of his senses, his eye locking onto the section of the forest up ahead and to the right. He had saw something flicker faintly over there.

The smallest sound had his hand inside his weapons pouch and curling around the handle of his kunai.

Maybe he should’ve put more thought into this before just running after these people. His student’s hadn’t even fought actual enemies before, the closest they probably came were the sparring matches they were made to do at the Academy.

Pakkun now stopped as well and Kakashi leapt down so he was in front of his students.

“Stop.” He warned sternly, one hand held out in front of them while the other extracted the kunai that he had been holding onto. Sakura looked nervous as she peered around Kakashi, the Haruno cautiously moving her hand to land on her weapons pouch as well seeing how Kakashi had pulled out his kunai.

Naruto starred ahead, a growl escaping him as he glared into the distance while Sasuke settled into a fighting stance, his onyx gaze shifting over the scenery ahead of them. Kakashi pushed his forehead protector up, his other eye opening.

He blinked once to get his sharingan used to the sunlight once again before he detected the different chakras. There were two signatures off in the trees, one kneeling on the forest floor while the other was up in the branches. The color of their chakra burned brightly before another source of chakra caught his attention.

He sucked in a sharp breath between his teeth as chakra swirled viciously beneath all their feet. A trap?!

“Shit!”

The ground beneath their feet turned to mud, violently pushing upward into a giant wave. Sakura gasped and Kakashi wanted to shout out a warning but soon found his airways filled with thick mud. It knocked him backwards as the wave crashed over all of them like a giant weight, splaying them all over the forest floor.

The mud, made from mostly water and a small mixture of dirt, soaked into the ground, flowing into the base of many trees before continuing to flow into the surrounding woods.

Sakura groaned from her new found position a couple feet away, the mud having effectively winding her when it crashed into her body. It had dragged her farther from the others, the pinkette struggling to get her breath back as she lay sprawled against the ground. Pakkun lay not too far from her, the pug already on his feet and shaking the mud from his fur as best as he could.

Sasuke choked, shuddering as he rolled onto his hands and knees, trying to force the mud out of his lungs while his onyx gaze fervently searched for their attackers. Naruto broke out into a loud bout of profanities somewhere to his right, but Sasuke didn’t bother to look over.

If Naruto was talking like that he was fine.

Kakashi gave a shout of warning, making the two males snap their heads upright.

A large shadow blocked out the sun as a body descended upon them, Sasuke and Kakashi flipping away the same moment the burly man connected with the ground, his two gauntlet hands smashing down onto the earth in one fluid motion.

A loud crack like a bone snapping clean in half, broke through the air as a crater surrounded the attacker, dust rising like smoke around his hunched over form. Naruto was sent flying to the side from the proximity of the blow, landing on his side and rolling, managing to jump to his feet mid roll.

Despite the man’s size, he moved with incredible speed, vaulting out of the crater he had made. Kakashi’s Sharingan caught his movement, the silver haired man pushing forward to meet him.

Kakashi slashed his kunai towards his head, Yuki pulling back abruptly and dancing backwards as the blade continued to swing over head. Yuki reached a hand into his cloak as he leaned back, the blade slipping by underneath his chin. Yuki grasped his own kunai and the sound of metal screeching against metal vibrated through the air as their kunais clashed against each other.

Kakashi was forced to spring backwards as Yuki brought his leg up in a roundhouse kick, distancing the two fighters.

‘Damn, he’s stronger then I expected.’ Kakashi thought reproachfully as he brought his hands into some hand signs.

“Doton: Doriyuudan no Jutsu. (Earth Dragon)” Kakashi said before the ground in front of him roared to life, morphing into the massive form of a dragon. Behind his goggles, Yuki’s eyes hardened as the dragon jerked it’s head before careening towards him.

As it neared, Yuki disappeared, the dragon crashing down on a log. Kakashi cursed as he saw the Kawarimi Jutsu (Replacement) before his Sharingan caught Yuki lunging off a tree trunk, aimed towards him.

Although Kakashi could see him, the extra momentum the tree gave him, made Yuki too fast. Yuki’s heel crashed down on the crown of Kakashi’s head, his head snapping down with a loud crack.

White pain shot behind Kakashi’s eyelids as Yuki sprang back before leaping towards him, Kakashi ignoring the ringing in his ears and the metallic taste of blood in his mouth as he ducked under a swing of a kunai, twisting to the side as the kunai came back in another attempt to get him.

Seeing an opportunity, Kakashi grabbed the man’s massive wrist, and twisted before he took his kunai and plunged it into the man’s ribs. Dark red liquid instantly coloured his side as the man sucked in a pained breath.

His guard dropped, Yuki curled around the wound, swearing he could feel the metal grinding against his bones.

“Kakashi-sensei!”

Sakura had regained herself and joined up with the others, Pakkun at her side, watching with wide eyes as Kakashi kicked the man in the chest, sending him sprawling back. Yuki grabbed the handle of the kunai and pulled it out with a hiss of pain.

Blood glinted on the tip.

As Kakashi pushed off towards his opponent once again, a senbon embedded the ground where his foot had been seconds before.

Naruto rounded to his side. “Come on teme! We should--” He started before blinking as he took in Sasuke’s face. He was ignoring the fight between Kakashi and the Iwa nin.

The Uchiha had his head turned towards the trees to the side, his body looking on high alert as his eyes roamed over the high branches. It looked like the smallest movement would trigger the instinct to attack from him.

“Teme?”

Sasuke ignored him, completely shutting him out. There was someone else here. That senbon had come from somew--

The tiniest sliver of silver went whizzing through the air, heading towards Kakashi’s back. Like Naruto had predicted, it triggered Sasuke, a shurinken flying through the air and crashing into the small needle before it could reach it’s target.

Naruto opened his mouth in confusion. “Wha?”

Sasuke took off towards the direction the senbon had come from, four shurinken all shooting from him with expert ease. He jumped off the ground as he drew towards the first tree, the jump pushing him surprisingly high as he drew a kunai out.

Naruto almost swallowed his tongue when an elderly figure shot out from the tree, clashing with Sasuke, a tanto sword grinding against Sasuke’s kunai.

Haru now pushing against Sasuke in mid air, caused them both to fall backwards, Sasuke flipping backwards and landing in a crouched position on one knee. His hands flew through hand signs as he inhaled, the tingle of chakra and heat running through his throat.

“Katon: Gokakyu no Jutsu!” Sasuke shouted as his chest puffed up before he exhaled, fire shooting from his mouth. The flames flew towards the man who scowled at the move before he flickered out of view, the flames encasing the bushes around the tree the man had been standing in front of.

The sound of Sasuke’s voice drew Sakura’s attention, the pinkette turning to find the Uchiha oblivious to the man who had reappeared in a tree off to the side, the elderly man pushing off towards the younger male.

“Sasuke-kun! Watch out!” She shrieked as she made a dash towards him in a moment of panic.

~*~
Team 7 vs. The Iwa Nins by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Man fight scenes really take a lot out of me. I can always envision them and don’t worry, my story will have them…I just always seem to take forever to write them.

Oh and at the bottom when Naruto says sister in Japanese…even though they’re twins, in Japan it still has to be distinguished between older or younger, it can’t just be sister. I figure that if Naruto ever refers to Kyoko as sister, he’ll call her little sister. I don’t know why, his protectiveness just makes him seem like the older one.

Anyway, here’s the chapter.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 21: Team 7 vs. The Iwa Nins

~*~

Sasuke caught the movement from the corner of his eye, Sakura’s warning ringing in his ears like an alarm. He sprang backwards, quickly ducking when he got his footing again, the tanto blade sweeping over his head.

Haru landed without a sound, turning on his ankle and continuing to swing, the blade singing as it cut through the air. Sakura pulled up short, two feet from the fighting, watching as Sasuke lowered onto his haunches, attempting to sweep the elderly man’s feet from under him.

Haru leapt over the move only to go careening backwards when the bottom of a foot crashed into his face with a ‘crunch’. Stars flashed in front of his eyes, Haru regaining himself in time to stick his hand out and sprang himself up to his feet, preventing his head from cracking open on the ground.

He landed inches from where the ever growing fire was continuing to spread throughout the forest, the flames still licking at the tree trunk from before.

Naruto filled the space in front of Sasuke, the Uchiha shooting him a glare for interfering.

“Kage Bunshin no Jutsu.” Naruto said as four more of him poofed into existence. In unison, they let out a cry as all them ran toward Haru, all beginning to do different attacks.

Haru spun out of the way of the punch aimed for his chest, his blade cutting through the clone as he spun, Haru ducking down low and striking with the tanto through another clone’s chest on his way up. Smoke filled the area as one by one, the clones began to disappear.

Haru suddenly jerked when the swing of his tanto was halted, making him crane his neck back. The blade was held in Naruto’s two hands, blood dripping through the Genin’s knuckles as he gripped the weapon, his eyes flashing with determination. Obviously this one wasn’t a clone.

Haru momentarily wondered if the kid was insane. He had just slashed his palms open in order to stop his attack.

He opened his mouth to comment when Naruto grunted, yanking the weapon with such force that Haru was unbalanced.

“Sakura-chan! Hold onto this!” Naruto yelled out as he flipped away from the Iwa Nin, hurling the weapon towards the ground where the Haruno resided. It embedded into the still muddy ground, Sakura flinching as it landed centimetres from her shoe, before she numbly followed his orders, picking it up from the handle and holding it as her own weapon.

“Why you little…!” Haru growled viciously. He glanced past one of the kids for a second, seeing Yuki still fighting the silver haired Jounin. It took him a second to realize that Yuki’s eyes were visible, the lenses of his goggles glittering like shattered jewels on the ground.

Shurinken aimed for his head brought his attention back, Haru ducking underneath them before bringing his arm up, blocking the in air kick Sasuke had aimed for his face. Sasuke pushed off, flipping backwards and landing in a crouched position, only to spring up with punches aimed for Haru’s face. Haru blocked, sweeping his leg up for the Uchiha’s face, Sasuke jumping back to avoid it, before Haru flipped back and used chakra to attach himself to a tree that wasn’t on fire.

With a sweep of his arm, senbons shot out, glinting for a second before becoming seemingly invisible with the speed they were going.

“Gah!”

“Sasuke-kun!” Sakura cried as Sasuke grabbed his left shoulder, two senbon sticking out from the top of the mentioned body part. He grabbed the tiny needles, yanking them out of his shoulder.

“That’ll slow you down.” Haru sneered from his position on the tree. As if on queue Sasuke’s arm began to go numb, tingling down from his shoulder to the tips of his finger.

“Ah.” Sasuke mumbled with surprise, blinking as his arm fell limp at his side like a dead weight.

“These senbons I use are coated with poison. It’ll spread throughout your body before killing you.” Haru jeered.

“Why you…!” Naruto growled as he made more clones, running towards the man. Haru leapt across the surface of the tree, sending more senbons their way as he darted to another tree like a monkey, the senbons finding their targets, making the clones disappear in a thing of smoke.

The real Naruto made a last minute decision as he dove for the ground, rolling underneath the senbon aimed for his chest, and skidding across the mud.

“Don’t you think you should be doing something?”

Sakura blinked, startled at the question. She turned to see Pakkun at her side, the dog watching the ongoing fight with unwavering attention, though his ears kept twitching to the fight going on not far away from them, Yuki and Kakashi still going at it.

“Well…yeah…” Sakura admitted softly as she gazed out at her two teammates. Sasuke began panting, sweat rolling down his face while Naruto made another mad lunge at the man in the tree, the orange clad male surprisingly still managing to go untouched by the senbons. “But what can I do?” Sakura asked.

Pakkun only frowned. Then his nose twitched. Sakura paid no attention as he began sniffing the air before his face contorted into one of realization.

As Naruto came skidding nearby, Pakkun went bounding near his ankles.

“Hey.” Pakkun called out wearily as he bounded over to Naruto, the blond just barely glancing at him from the corner of his eye.

“The scent keeps going.” Pakkun informed, his big brown eyes glancing about the area though he kept his face directed towards Naruto. Naruto stopped before turning and just starring at him for a second before what he said seemed to sink into his skull.

“What?!” He yelped. That meant Kyoko wasn’t in the area with them! “Where is she? Where is Kyoko going?” Naruto yelled as he reached down and grabbed Pakkun around the scruff of his blue vest, earning many disgruntled words from the pug.

“She keeps going North. Another scent is with her.” Pakkun informed. Naruto faced Sasuke who had sent another bout of flames at his opponent, a sheen of sweat rolling down his cheek. It had taken some effort to send those flames, Sasuke having to force his useless hand to make the hand signs.

“Sasuke! Pakkun says Kyoko is still farther North!” Naruto yelled over the crackling of the flames, Sasuke keeping his gaze locked on the figure that shot out of the flames and into a tree branch.

“Well then go!” Sasuke instructed with a growl, not even looking back at the orange clad male. “I’ve got this.”

“What?”

“Go!” Sasuke hissed between his teeth, cradling his useless arm. It was completely numb and if it wasn’t for the fact Sasuke could see it swinging from his side, he never would’ve known he had an arm in the first place.

“But--” Naruto started as he looked Sasuke over, the brunette jumping out of the way of three senbons, grabbing onto a branch with his good arm and flipping himself upright. The Uchiha was panting, the poison beginning to slowly work its way through his system.

“I said I got this!” Sasuke snarled at the blond. ‘Hurry and get her!’ His thoughts had wanted to say instead.

Naruto opened his mouth to say something before he closed it. His lips pressed together tightly into a thin line as he drew himself up, as if resigning himself from the fight. He turned his head, blue eyes landing on the pug by his feet.

Pakkun nodded before running into the forest, Naruto following after him.

With Naruto gone, Sasuke returned his attention to the elderly man. His vision was blurring at the corners, and each time the man was throwing the senbons, it was getting harder and harder to dodge.

Damn!

Sakura gulped as she saw Sasuke face against Haru alone. Naruto was gone now and even from where she was standing, she could see he looked worn down. Whether from pure exhaustion or the poison, she couldn’t tell.

‘What do I do? What do I do? I need to do something!!’ Sakura screamed at herself, her grip on the foreign tanto blade in her hands tightening until her knuckles turned white.

There was a gurgle of a cry as Sasuke crashed to the ground onto his hand and knees, a senbon sticking out of the thigh of his right leg. With only two functioning limbs, he looked rather distressed and Sakura felt her need to do something soar.

Haru landed with a loud ‘thud’ in front of the Uchiha, the elder looking him over with a sneer as Sasuke panted for breath, struggling to look Haru in the face, though his gaze was still as defiant as ever. He couldn’t die here, not if he was going to kill Itachi and avenge his clan.

“Well, well.” Haru mused. “This almost seems too easy.”

‘DO SOMETHING!’ Sakura yelled at herself.

Haru moved his hand back before jerking, hopping out of the way as two shurinken whizzed past his head. Blinking, he turned his head before he was forced to jump back some more as two more shurinkens headed towards him as Sakura came running forward.

She skidded to a stop in front of Sasuke, mud sloshing from the movement. She looked pale, but bit her bottom lip as she held Haru’s former tanto blade up in front of herself.

“…Sak…ura…” Sasuke panted as she filled his blurry field of vision.

“I forgot about you.” Haru grumbled as he ran a hand over his head. How annoying this was all turning out to be. He still knew how to fight, but he was old and he was starting to get tired.

If he finished this quickly, he could still have some energy left over for when he went and killed Iki. Haru made the snake hand sign before he pounded his knuckles together. Sakura’s eyes widened as his muscles began to spasm, Haru’s teeth gritting together as a vein in his throat bulged.

“Ninpou: Kinniku Shuudan (Ninja Art: Muscle Mass)!”

His muscles began to contort before they all began to grow, his shirt ripping to shreds as he grew in size, his arms growing in thickness as his muscles bulged, the veins stretching across them as the muscle tissue struggled to stay underneath the skin.

The man who had been no taller then Sakura a moment ago, now stood an extra head over her, the elderly man looking like he could crush a mountain in one punch if he so much as touched it.

Sakura could hear her heart hammering, thundering, in her chest, her palms sweaty as her grip on the blade trembled.

Then he moved.

He came running towards her, one hand back in a fist as the ground shook beneath each humongous step. Adrenaline overriding her brain, Sakura didn’t realize what she was doing as she ran forward, screaming with the tanto blade aimed forward to swing, going to meet him.

Pain shot through the under side of her face, shooting to her brain as his fist hit the bottom of her chin. There was a loud, audible ’crack’ of her jaw fracturing. The pinkette lifted of the ground and was sent flying, the blade falling from her grip and clattering inches from Sasuke’s weakened form.

She landed in a heap within reaching distance of the Uchiha, Haru heaving his way over to her. Blood trailed from her mouth, a bloodied tooth lying on the ground near her face. Grabbing the front of her dress, he hefted her upright, making her just barely support herself on the tips of her toes.

“Sak…ura!” Sasuke called out weakly from behind her, the Uchiha almost completely hidden by her body.

Her eyes were wildly unfocused, probably due to a concussion she most surely had. Grabbing a kunai from his weapons pouch, Haru spun it around his finger once before grasping it and pressing it against her throat.

“Goodnight.”

The sound of metal tearing through flesh filled the air, the gurgling cry of death accompanying it.

~*~

Kyoko felt nauseous as she came to. It took her a second to realize that she was being jostled, her mind registering this information slowly. Her eyelids felt heavy, the blond struggling to open them, the faint sound of a stream bubbling nearby reaching her as well.

What had happened to her? What was going on? Why did she feel so awful?

The sunlight that poured down on her disoriented her for several seconds, her head pounding in disapproval before she squinted, things beginning to take shape.

Her heart screamed at her in alarm as a strange man filled her field of vision. It took all of her willpower to not scream in surprise, forcing herself to stay completely still in his arms. The man seemed too intent on what he was doing, leaping through the trees, his gaze fixated in front of him.

Knowing she had to get away from him, Kyoko swung her left arm back before striking upwards with all the force she could muster. Iki’s eye widened at the movement in his peripheral vision before pain erupted in his cheek and nose.

Dazed in mid air, Iki began to fall, his grip on the Namikaze failing. She twisted out of his hands as she felt his grip loosen, her gymnastics taking over and making her landing more graceful then the man she had just socked in the face.

She didn’t notice the small, orange frog near the base of a tree, intelligent eyes of a summon watching her before it disappeared in the smallest cloud of smoke.

“Fuck! Bitch!” He cussed as he got to his feet, his once white bandages now tarnished with patches of dirt.

“What’s going on?“ Kyoko asked, her voice much more demanding and shrill then she felt.

Iki rubbed his cheek as he glared at her. “It’s called kidnapping.” He spat venomously. Shit! She wasn’t supposed to wake up until he was safely in Iwa and had her tied up somewhere.

“Kidnapping?” She repeated in shock. How far was she from Konoha? Why was she being kidnapped? How long had she been out of it?

“Yes, kidnapping!” Iki mocked. “Ever heard of it? It’s where I take you by force and use you as a hostage until I get what I want.” He ground out. “Now you weren’t supposed to wake up yet…” He trailed off, letting his sentence hang.

His hands began working into a series of hand signs, Kyoko leaping backwards to distance herself from the bandaged man, falling instinctively into the fighting stance that had been drilled into her since the first year at the Academy.

“Suiton: Genkotsu Sumasshu. (Water Element: Fist Smash)”

From the area that Kyoko assumed the stream resided, water gurgled as it surged upwards, shaping itself into an enormous fist. The water appendage came crashing down, Kyoko flipping to try and dodge it.

It crashed into the ground, breaking into a tirade of waves that lapped at Kyoko’s arms as she launched into the air, Kyoko reaching into her weapons pouch mid air. Kyoko hooked a finger into a shurinken, twisting her body as she let it sail towards Iki as she neared the ground.

There was a clang as Iki unsheathed his katana, knocking aside the star shaped weapon as it whizzed towards him. As Kyoko landed, water sloshing around her ankles, Iki raced forward.

Kyoko dodged the violent swing of the katana, Iki pulling it back and swinging his body around, Kyoko rolling underneath the roundhouse kick to her head. Springing upright, Kyoko aimed a punch, the blow catching him in the ribs.

Making to leap away to distance herself from him before he could attack, Kyoko let out a shout as her right pigtail was suddenly yanked, pulling her in front of him. A knee rammed into her stomach, spit flying from her mouth as she gasped, air rushing from her lungs.

In one fluid motion, Iki let her go, before turning swiftly and kicking, his heel catching her in the temple. She rolled through the slowly decreasing water with a series of splashes, stopping and staggering to her feet. Kyoko bit her bottom lip as her brain tried to think of a strategy.

She was a Genin facing someone who was…probably Jounin level. How would she beat him? Could she even beat him? She only knew Academy level jutsu!

‘Well I have to try.’ Her mind reminded, Kyoko nodding to herself wearily.

Iki faced her as she made a simple hand sign. “Bunshin no Jutsu.” She said as two more of her appeared next to her in a cloud of smoke.

“Aw c’mon! That’s such a simple trick!” Iki complained, though a smug smirk was pulling at his face. “All I have to do is look for the sh--”

All three Kyoko flipped back in unison, all landing in a tree branch so the splashes of water couldn’t give away their position and their lack of shadows didn’t matter, the tree compensating for that factor.

Iki scowled. “--adow.”

The Kyoko’s all began moving, jumping to different trees while rummaging through their weapons pouch, Iki trying to figure out which Kyoko to keep his eye trained on. Theirs hands were moving fast, making it near impossible to see what they were busy doing.

His eyes hardened before his lips pulled back in a satisfied sneer.

Only one of the Kyoko’s was making the branches shake when she landed on it.

“Found ya.” He muttered as he grinned, holding his katana with one hand before running towards where she would be after she finished jumping to the next tree. Kyoko cursed before pulling up short, twisting in the air and throwing six kunais at Iki, the two other Kyoko’s mimicking her movements perfectly, each throwing six kunais just like her.

What seemed like eighteen kunais were only six.

The kunais didn’t even graze him as they embedded in the ground, Iki barely glancing at them as he continued to advance next to her, the blond continuing to bounce to different tree branches out of his reach. Her aim must be horrible.

Only when she held up two fingers, eyes glinting, did Iki frown.

“Kai (Release)!” She yelled, Iki’s eye widening as he snapped around, gaze finding the kunais he had so readily dismissed. Attached to each end was an explosive tag, the ends of the tags slightly damp in the water that was slowly getting soaked into the soil.

The explosion echoed through the forest like the shot of a canon.

~*~

Drip

Drip

Drip

The small noise rang in Sakura’s ears as her eyes began to focus, her heart barely thudding in her chest as if afraid to make it‘s presence known. Her jaw was throbbing, the taste of blood trickling down her throat…but all of that was lost to her right now.

She shook as she looked down to see an arm that wasn’t hers, sticking through the space between her arm and her torso.

The hand connected to that arm was gripping the handle of the tanto blade, knuckles turning white from the amount of force it was using to hold it.

There wasn’t an inch of the blade visible, the weapon buried into Haru’s chest. Blood pooled around the wound, flowing freely and staining the front of his shirt. The hand sticking out from behind Sakura pulled the weapon out, blood spraying out towards the Haruno.

Sakura jerked in fright as the moist liquid struck her in the face, her eyes dilating. Haru crumpled over like a bag of sand, eyes rolling back into his head as he flopped backwards, lying on the ground.

‘Oh God. Oh God! OH GOD!’ Sakura screeched in her head, despite the severe pounding of her cranium. She felt sick. She had just seen someone die. Actually die! In front of her!

Sakura’s stomach churned, the kunoichi feeling light headed as she just starred at the lifeless body. All she could hear was the pounding of her own heart, seemingly between her ears, making her head throb much more so.

She was going to be sick. Lord she was going to be sick!

Then another sound penetrated her ears, pulling her back to herself for a moment.

Laboured…ragged breathing. Coming from directly behind her. She was almost frightened to turn around until her brain kicked into it’s higher function.

There was only one person who had been behind her at the time.

“Sa…kura…”

“Sasuke-kun!” She gasped as she whirled around, immediately regretting the action as she yelped in pain, the world spinning around her as pain shot through her jaw, all the way to her cranium.

Sasuke was still in his deformed kneeling position, his good hand holding onto the tanto blade as he struggled for air, looking more pale than normal. What caught Sakura’s attention were his eyes.

They weren’t his natural dark onyx. They were crimson, a single black tamoe contrasting to the red.

Anyone who knew of the Uchiha clan knew of the Sharingan.

“Sasuke-kun…your eyes!” Sakura exclaimed, ignoring the taste of blood in her mouth as she talked. Sasuke only starred at her, uncomprehending in his state, before blinking, his eyes returning to his normal color.

He shook and Sakura knelt down, hauling him up and letting him lean on her for support. He needed a medic. The poison must’ve spread through most of his body by now!

“Kakashi-sensei! Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura cried out as she turned to where she had last seen him, Sasuke like a dead weight against her side, barely able to support himself. His head was beginning to loll against his shoulders, his eyes barely open.

It took her a second to realize that Kakashi was still fighting as well. His opponent though, was a lot worse for wear then theirs had been…in appearance anyways. His opponent wasn’t dead.

Yuki had several kunai sticking from him, two from his left shoulder, one from the other shoulder, one from his thigh, his cloak stained with red. His goggles had the lenses shattered, leaving the frames with jagged pieces of the glass still in at places.

Kakashi was favouring his left leg and his flak jacket had a rather impressive cut running along the front of it, but it didn’t seem too deep.

Kakashi was faring well in the battle.

“What…is it…Sakura…?” Kakashi panted as he wiped away some blood from a cut on his cheek, having cut through his mask. Yuki’s hands were going through hand signs, the Iwa Nin sparring time to glance over past the Genins that were beckoning his opponent.

Yuki paused.

Haru’s dead body was starring up at the partially cloudy sky above, blood pooling around him. Dead. Yuki’s eyes found the Genins and he felt a prick of anger and regret hit him. But if someone had asked him why he wasn’t more upset by his comrade’s death, he would’ve replied that Haru had just been a companion that he had grouped with for this revenge mission against Minato.

He didn’t even know much about the guy himself.

But now…there was only him and Iki. And Iki was the only huge motive behind this mission in the first place. People may see his next move as a coward’s move, but Yuki was never one to be stupid in battle.

“Sasuke-kun needs a hospital!” She pleaded, knowing that if Kakashi took him, he could just teleport him and be there in seconds. Kakashi, who had been watching Yuki, dared to turn his head and look at his students.

“He got poisoned and I don’t think he’ll last much longer.” Sakura begged, eyes shimmering with unshed tears, that if Sasuke was more conscious, probably would’ve scoffed at. “Please!”

“I--” Kakashi started before smoke cut him off, the silver haired Jounin jerking his head back in the direction of Yuki, kunai held out in front of him as he waited for whatever attack Yuki was about to unleash. He blinked when the smoke disappeared and Yuki was nowhere to be seen.

Still tense, Kakashi looked around wildly with his sharingan, checking for any sign of the man’s chakra. After a moment, the Copy Nin relaxed, the kunai falling to his side.

“Ah…he vanished.”

“Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura continued, her voice taking on a whole other tone of urgency. He turned to her and quickly pocketed his kunai, taking Sasuke from her before she could open her mouth again. When he looked back up, his sharingan could see Naruto’s and Pakkun’s chakra receding in the distance, just slipping out of his range as he began to make his one handed, hand sign.

Sakura grabbed onto his wrist as he was engulfed in smoke, the three disappearing the very next minute.

~*~

Iki coughed as he tried to leap out of the plume of smoke, his free hand holding his side. He had tried to avoid the explosion as much as possible, the ground below now severely uneven, littered with debris of what it had formerly been, but his side had still managed to get hurt.

‘Shit, I think I broke a rib or two.’ He growled as he held his side, the bandages over that side of his torso having been blown away in the explosion. “That little…!” He seethed as he twirled around maniacally, trying vainly to see through the smoke that was still hanging in the air.

His ears perked up as water sloshed, turning and squinting to his right. A shadow was running through the smoke before Kyoko suddenly emerged from the smoke, already in the air with her leg sweeping through the it in a powerful kick, two other Kyoko’s mimicking her on either side of Iki.

He ducked, eyes fixated on the Kyoko directly in front of him, the one that had cast the shadow, while the other Kyoko’s merely phased through him. Landing, Kyoko aimed a two punch combo for his chest, grunting in surprise as Iki caught one of her arms in his elbow and practically dragged her close to his chest. Brining his katana back with his other hand, he smoked her in the forehead with the butt end of the hilt, Kyoko feeling like her skull was being cracked open.

Around her, her clones disappeared in a wave of smoke.

Dazed, Kyoko made a drastic attempt to get away, taking her free hand and digging it into his bloody, injured side. She could feel the ooze of blood as she flexed her nails into the wound.

“AAHHH!” Iki screeched, shoving her away violently. She stumbled away and Iki felt a new kind of anger swell inside of him. His teeth gnashed together as a low growl vibrated through his chest.

‘Can’t kill her. Can’t kill her. Can’t kill her.’ He muttered like a mantra in his head. But he could still hurt her more then necessary. A malicious smile crawled over his features.

With a flick of his wrist, he flipped the blade of his katana over before, too quick for her too see, he swung and rammed the unsharpened edge into her abdomen, the force sending her flying. Her body seemed to clear a passage through the smoke briefly.

Her spine hit a tree trunk, Kyoko rebounding off the bark for a second, arching against it. Not giving her time to retaliate, Iki made some hand signs. He focused his chakra into the move, remembering not to kill her.

He needed her for money. This had always been about the money.

“Ninpou Kamaitachi (Sickling Winds)!”

Sickles made of chakra encased wind slashed across the field, the smoke disappearing and rising high into the air. The sickles sliced across her, blood spraying into the air as Kyoko fell forward onto her hands and knees, blood trickling from the various nicks on her arms, shoulders, and legs. She wiped at two cuts on her right cheek, finally getting her breath back as she panted, finally feeling the exhaustion of the battle.

Iki began walking forward and Kyoko raised her gaze to see him. If she could just catch him off guard…

She shook her head tiredly before her hands wearily made hand signs of her own, Iki pausing for a second. What was she doing?

He sneered. Was she still planning to fight him? She really didn’t give up did she? He would have to almost kill her before dragging her back to Iwa.

Kyoko’s words were whispered and Iki strained to hear them, not even catching them then. “Jinkouteki Zetsumei no Jutsu.”

“What was that? Speak up!” He called out mockingly.

She fell to the ground completely limp, the ground rising to meet her face. For several seconds she remained unmoving, Iki finally trudging close to her. With his katana, he flipped her over and froze.

He knew these eyes. He knew them well. He couldn’t mistake them and no one could ever fake them.

They were the eyes of the dead.

He blinked once…twice…before his anger spiked.

“YOU DID A FUCKING SUICIDE JUTSU?!!” He accused.

~*~

“Smoke?”

Pakkun sniffed the air before nodding his head at the blond boy’s question. “Yeah. There was an explosion not too long ago, but I guess with your hearing only that of a human’s, you didn’t hear it.” The pug pointed out, shaking his head as Naruto shot a scowl at the dog.

Naruto just pushed a bush out of his path, not noticing that the cuts across his palms had already healed, vanishing as if they had never been there to begin with. They kept moving before Pakkun’s demeanour suddenly changed, the pug slowing to match Naruto’s pace.

“They’re just up ahead.” He informed, his words hushed. Those words only spurred Naruto on, making him pick up his pace as he spotted the area with the smoke rising from it just feet in front of him. Pakkun jumped up onto a branch in a nearby tree, knowing he would be no help in battle, which is how things would most likely turn out to be.

Naruto crashed into the scene with all the subtleness of an enormous pink elephant. He didn’t even fumbled to find his footing on the wildly uneven ground. Letting his eyes sweep over the scene he tensed as his eyes locked with a single green one.

“So someone got past Haru and Yuki.” The man muttered as he stepped towards Naruto. Sunlight caught the man’s katana, the reflected light shining in Naruto’s face, blinding the Genin briefly.

When his vision returned to him, Naruto had to force down the series of swears as his teeth grit together. Iki’s other hand was fisted in one of Kyoko’s pigtails, forcing her torso off the ground. Her body was limp and blood was trickling from various cuts.

“So…” Iki said, letting Kyoko’s pigtail go, her body hitting the ground with a ‘smack’. Naruto growled at the motion, the noise resounding deep inside him. Iki opened his mouth to continue before he blinked and his eye widened a fraction.

“Oh my--” He started before a grin split across his face. “You look just like him!” He hollered, eye dancing. “Namikaze Minato! I didn’t see it for a second but my word!” Iki ranted like an excited child. Just think of the money he could make if he showed this kid to Iwa? There was no way this boy couldn’t be related to the Yellow Flash of Konoha.

“Let. My. Imouto. Go.”

Iki blinked before he laughed, the sound echoing back through the trees.

“Aw man!” He wheezed as he starred into Naruto’s fierce gaze. “I hit the jackpot.”

~*~
The Demon Within by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok, I know that if people were to have explosions go off right next to them, they would probably die instantly…but in my story, a single exploding tag won’t kill someone. It’ll just hurt them, very badly.

Oh and DOUBLE UPDATE! Why? Cause I felt like it. Yay!
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 22: The Demon Within

~*~

“Tajyuu Kage Bunshin no Justu! (Multiple Shadow Clone Technique)”

The area filled with smoke before filling with the colors of yellow, orange, blue, and patches of brown from where Naruto had landed in the mud earlier.

Iki scowled despite his excitement at having found an exact duplicate of Konoha’s Yellow Flash. Stepping in front of Kyoko, he brandished his katana challengingly at the different Naruto’s, all surrounding him from different angles.

There were too many of them to count!

“So this is how it’s going to go down.” He grumbled as he shifted his weight distribution to his feet. He craned his neck to try and look at all the different clones, his eye working overtime to try and take all the kids in.

The Naruto’s seemed to take his words as the ‘go ahead’ and all cried out as they ran towards him. He kicked one square in the chest, spinning around and slashing three across the stomach with his katana.

One made a lunge for his head, Iki dodging and letting it plough into another, the two disappearing while Iki ducked underneath a flying kick, stabbing another Naruto that was nearing him. He yanked his katana free, practically dancing with his weapon as he dodged and swung at his various enemies.

Iki leveraged himself up into the air by doing a jump kick, spinning in the air, his katana decapitating two in the process.

Small hands wrapped around his ankles and Iki cussed as he was yanked to the ground, his hands, one still holding onto his weapon, catching him in a hand stand before his face could smash into the dirt. He twisted his legs, heel clipping one of the clones in the face and freeing his legs.

There was a noise of surprise and anguish from Iki when a sweeping kick swept his hands, which he had been using for support, out from under him, the grip on his katana faltering. The weapon went skittering across the ground, disappearing into the sea of people.

The Naruto’s all chorused among themselves as they grabbed the sword like a raven who had suddenly been giving a shiny object, the blondes all passing it along so it wasn’t in Iki’s hands. The Naruto furthest from the Iwa Nin turned and hurled it as far as he could into the forest around them.

Without so much as a word, Iki spun to his feet, jabbing the nearest clones in the neck and continuing on, the moves looking effortless as he did them. A clone leapt onto Iki’s back, arms wrapping around his neck while the clone tried to jerk him back another leaping towards him, fist colliding with Iki’s chin.

“This…is getting…annoying!” Iki seethed as he grabbed the arms of the Naruto behind him and flipped him over his shoulder, straight into another, the two disappearing upon impact.

His hands flashed together in hand signs, words tumbling from his mouth before Naruto or his clones could interrupt him. “Fuuton: Hauringu Gufuu no Jutsu (Wind Element: Howling Tornado Technique)!”

The wind howled as it swirled viciously, surrounding Iki in a tornado before shooting out in a wide arc around him, cutting a trail in the ground. The clones all threw their hands up in defence as the winds cut into them, smoke filing the air to only get sucked into the vortex of the tornado.

After a minute, the wind disappeared into the atmosphere, leaving Naruto with his arms held above his head in an ‘x’, the sleeves of his jumpsuit torn in various places.

‘The real one.’ “There you are.” Iki sneered, eye glinting as he rushed towards the remaining blond. Naruto made to dodge as Iki jumped up but the Iwa Nin was too quick, his foot catching Naruto’s jaw and making him go crashing backwards into the ground.

Naruto coughed as he staggered to his hands and knees, a drops of blood dripping from his lips and darkening the ground where they fell.

“Come on…the other one put up more of a fight.” Iki jeered, Naruto’s head snapping back. Kyoko lay deathly still against the ground, her skin turning paler by the minute.

Anger exploded inside of Naruto as his eyes flickered between red and blue, his jaw cracking to fit the fangs that fixed themselves in his mouth.

~*~

Jiraiya poured chakra into his feet, making himself go faster than the normal ninja. After that ANBU had found him at a Cabaret Club not far from the Hot Springs, Jiraiya had sent one of his summons to find the location of Kyoko and her kidnapper.

The toad had dutifully reported back to the Toad Sage not long after, having witnessed the Namikaze just trading blows with the guy moments before reporting to him.

Jiraiya halted as he saw smoke clawing it’s way across the canvas of the sky, his brow furrowing. It was still too early for him to have reached the area his summon had told him about.

The coordinates didn’t match up. So what was going on?

As he got closer, his curiosity spurring him on despite the fact that he had to go this way anyways, he saw a mass of bushes and two trees engulfed in a fire, the orange and red flames radiating pure heat.

Not far from one of the trees was a body, facing skyward. Blood was pooling around him, the source an obvious stab wound in his chest that was weeping freely.

“Who did this?” Jiraiya mumbled to himself, his eyes sweeping over the rest of the clearing as he made his way towards the body. There were signs of battle all over the clearing, in the bark of the trees, the crater in the ground…everywhere he could see.

Lowering onto his haunches, Jiraiya looked the body of the elderly man over, onyx eyes roaming over every aspect he could find. On his left thigh, the man’s forehead protector starred up at the Sannin and Jiraiya’s gaze hardened.

The symbol of an enemy country starred up at him.

“An Iwa Nin is it?” He voiced to himself coldly. This man would get no remorse from him then. Looking up, past the man, Jiraiya let himself become concerned about the burning scenery instead, wondering how to put it out before it spread throughout the forest.

Once he took care of that, he would continue on his way.

~*~

Kyoko gasped, blinking rapidly as she tried to get air into her lungs. The first thing she realized immediately was that her face was in the ground…making it extremely difficult to get her much needed oxygen. She lifted her face from the awkward position her body had landed in, breathing in slowly as she realized something else.

The sounds of battle were deafening.

She looked up through her lashes, feet coming into view not far from her as two bodies waged against each other, one significantly bigger than the other. Confusion polluted her brain as she ever so silently, and slowly, moved herself backwards and upright, leaning against the trunk of a nearby tree for support.

Her eyes locked onto the backside of the person closest to her as his head went to the side, slash marks tearing away the bandages that had been covering his face. He growled an obscene word as he ducked underneath a smaller arm that retract and tried to swipe at him again, his bandages fluttering to the ground.

Everything came back to her in a stampede of memories as she watched his backside before looking at the scenery…the uneven terrain thanks to her exploding tags. She remembered why she had been face down in the dirt in the first place.

‘It worked. He’s fighting someone else now. He won’t notice me.’ Kyoko thought to herself as she worked to her feet. Only when her eyes caught the flash of orange and blond did she frown as she grabbed onto a tree branch and flipped herself upright, going high and higher into the shadows of the leaves.

Naruto? He was fighting Naruto? How did Naruto get here?

She continued to frown in confusion before shaking her head, trying to shoo out the questions. Now wasn’t the time. She had to plan out the perfect opportunity to attack and catch Iki completely off guard. Ignoring the pain in her arm from the various cuts, she continued to watch the fight…waiting.

~*~

‘What…gah…is with…this kid?’ Iki gurgled to himself as a fist planted itself in his stomach, the older man curling around it as the world spun around him. The force behind the punch was like nothing a kid should possess.

He was too fast! Iki could hardly keep up with him anymore. Did he take some kind of pill or something? His eyes had turned a weird red color. Maybe he had a blood line.

His thoughts were wiped out of his mind as another punch to his chest brough his feet off the ground, only for Naruto to lean back and snap kick him under the chin, Iki spiralling through the air. He twisted and landed clumsily, his gaze frantically snapping up before he rolled to the side, avoiding the punch Naruto had followed him with.

It crashed into the ground, bits of rock flying up as Iki distanced himself. He panted as he kept his gaze focused on the blond.

What the hell was wrong with this kid? Iki felt a spark of fear and anger ebb its way inside of him. He could hardly even touch this brat anymore. Was he honestly going to lose? To this child!

No! He wouldn’t! Couldn’t!

Naruto came at him again and Iki felt pain from blows that he didn’t even see, Iki managing to retaliate and land a single punch to the kid’s shoulder before he went careening back, past the first line of trees, and towards the area of the stream from earlier.

His eyes widened as he caught himself on a nearby trunk.

There was the edge of a cliff hidden in a series of bushes beyond those few trees, the sounds of the stream coming from the bottom of the cliff and echoing up to his ears.

How deceiving. And deadly.

He would’ve fallen to his death within seconds.

The trunk of his tree gave a loud ‘crack’ Iki flipping away the same instant Naruto decided to aim a kick for him. The wood splintered as the blond retracted his foot.

“You know…” Iki panted as he cast a quick glance to the gurgling stream down below before returning his gaze to his opponent. “It’s too bad I’m going to have to put you out for good. You’re just too dangerous to keep alive.” He admitted, inwardly grimacing as his body ached, his jaw throbbing as he talked.

He began making hand signs, Naruto charging at him from across the small distance.

A flash caught Iki’s eye and he vaulted back, Naruto skidding to a stop in mild confusion as a kunai hit the ground where Iki had been. Kyoko shot out of a tree, flinging another kunai at him, Iki dodging it as his eyes widened in surprise. Kyoko leapt at him, slashing with another kunai, the two seeming to dance as Iki was able to keep up with this fighter.

He grabbed her wrist, flipping her over onto her back and stepping onto her chest as he still held onto her arm. He didn’t notice the growl this produced from the male.

“Y…you?! But you’re supposed to be dead!” He cried. He had saw her. She had had the eyes! He didn’t get to say anything more as Naruto punched him in the cheek, making him stagger and get off the female trapped under his foot.

Before he could get far, Kyoko slapped something onto his chest, Iki looking at it blurrily as stars danced across his eyes.

“Kai!”

The explosion rocked the tiny edge of the cliff they were all fighting on, cracks appearing along the edges. The air smelt of burned flesh and blood, the smoke an almost sickly color as it disappeared.

Iki was barely standing. The side of his body that had been healing from previous burns was pouring blood, spattering across the ground as blood dribbled from between his lips. His already injured side had a bone gleaming past the destroyed skin and the synapses of his brain was overloaded with so much pain he could hardly stand it. His skin was smoking and he was swaying violently.

‘I’m going to die.’ Iki thought bitterly to himself as he took a single step forward, knees almost buckling from the movement. As if to give him no chance to survive, the cliff side began crumbling, the two blonds gasping as the ground beneath them began slipping from under their feet.

Iki’s body fell onto Kyoko, the female closest to him as gravity pulled them all down. She pushed him away from her as his moist blood stained her clothes. She pushed him away, pushing herself into Naruto, her brother gabbing onto her as they tumbled through the air.

Naruto managed to blink as he grabbed a piece of paper, slicked with blood, slapped onto Kyoko’s shirt.

Through blood coated lips, Iki smirked, his vision darkening at the corners as his head became light.

Naruto pulled it back and his eyes widened. He let the tag go as he turned and protectively wrapped himself around Kyoko, shielding her.

Iki made a single hand sign, his last words like a whisper as they left his lips. “Kai.”

~*~

Kyuubi starred in genuine surprise as his crack from so long ago appeared once again in the bar of the cage. It was only a sliver of a crack but it made his eyes light up, his lips pulling back into a ferocious smile. It had only taken another four years for the crack to appear once again.

Opening his jaw, Kyuubi was about to try and chew on the bar when something caught his attention. A smell washed over him, something that was different from this musty, dank smell of his cage and the water that enveloped the passage ways that led to it.

He could smell blood.

Closing his eyes, he breathed in the long forgotten smell. Oh how he loved that smell. The panic, pain, tears, and chaos that always ensued when there was bloodshed. How he missed it.

His ear twitched as water in the distance sloshed. He opened his eyes as the sloshing noise continued, persisting to disturb him. Yet he couldn’t help but be curious. It wasn’t like he exactly had visitors when he was trapped inside the body of a twelve-year-old blond man child.

A figure turned the corner of the passageway, practically stumbling with each step he took.

Naruto swayed as he looked up at the humongous bars of the cage.

“Where…am…I?” He whispered weakly, his right eye looking at the cage while his left was shut from the blood trickling from a cut torn in his forehead protector.

A wound on his side was weeping blood freely, the crimson liquid trailing down his left leg. His one arm was hanging at his side in such a way that human arms shouldn’t, the sleeve of his jumpsuit blown to tatters and his arm covered in brightly covered bruises. If there was damage to his back or internally, Kyuubi couldn’t tell.

Kyuubi stirred on the other side of the gate, his lips pulling back into a snarl. He was sealed away into a human who had gotten himself this hurt? How pathetic!

Naruto jumped at the movement, his gaze just seeming to actually see Kyuubi for the first time.

“So…” Kyuubi started with a growl, the noise vibrating through the chambers. “You’re the little brat that I was sealed into. How pathetic.” He spat, Naruto starring up at him in shock. “I could crush your skull in a second.”

“You’re the…Kyuubi.” Naruto breathed as he starred at the creature, trying to peer deeper into the darkness of the cage. All he could really see was the Kyuubi’s eyes and the fox’s teeth. Kyuubi’s canines gleamed in the dim light of the cage.

“And you’re three feet away from becoming a chew toy.” Kyuubi warned before a huge paw suddenly rammed into the bars, making Naruto jump. He wanted so badly to tear this little child into bits. To feel him die beneath his claws and regain his freedom.

Watch him become afraid and run, this person who mocked him…the Kyuubi no Kitsune.

Naruto felt himself step back from the cage, the sound of the Kyuubi’s paw crashing against the bars still ringing in his ears. But then…he paused.

This was the Kyuubi. The reason the villagers hated him. The reason why he had been mistreated as a child.

Everything logical in his body told him to despise and hate the creature in front of him. To just turn around and leave it where it was stranded in it’s cage. That he needed to be frightened of this…this…thing.

But another, more irrational part of him, was curios. Wanted to defy…someone…something.

He started walking towards the bars, Kyuubi’s snarl disappearing for a second as his big slitted eyes regarded the blond in front of him. What the hell was he doing?

As Naruto continued walking, his eye hardened. He wasn’t going to be afraid of this fox. He had kept him locked up for twelve years. He wasn’t going to be scared of him.

“What are you doing you brat?” Kyuubi growled as Naruto now stood right against the bars. He was just within his reach. Yet aggravatingly, mind numbingly, not.

Naruto just looked up at him with his one open eye and the emotion Kyuubi saw there was one of bold defiance.

Kyuubi didn’t notice that the small crack grew a little more.

It made rage course through him. How dare a human not be afraid of him?

He snapped his jaw, ramming his teeth against the miniscule bars. Naruto stood irritatingly still, just starring up at him. It made the Kyuubi bristle and he allowed himself to delve in his more primitive instincts, shrill barks forcing out of his mouth and rustling Naruto’s hair.

Naruto made to move when his vision blurred, his head spinning. His good hand grabbed at his side, blood flowing over his fingers, before he toppled over in the ankle deep water.

Kyuubi watched him for several seconds, the blond not moving.

“How weak.” Kyuubi spat as the water began to dye red from the blood it was absorbing. A nagging voice at the back of his voice began to speak up.

‘If he dies, you die too. The only way to get free is to be released from the seal.’ The nagging voice spoke in his head. Kyuubi snarled. Him? Help that weakling? No way!

‘You’ll die too.’ His thoughts reminded, a growl vibrating through Kyuubi’s chest and echoing throughout all the corners of Naruto’s mind. Grudgingly, red chakra seeped through the crack and wrapped around Naruto’s body.

“Be thankful for me you worthless brat. Be very fucking thankful.”

~*~

Jiraiya was running down the side of the cliff, chakra keeping him glued to the side. Kakashi’s dog Pakkun, who had been in one of the trees, had leapt down at him when he passed by and was now accompanying him.

At the bottom of the cliff, lying on the bank, was Iki’s body. The neck was snapped, most likely upon impact with the ground, and the body was lying in an unnatural heap against the rocky ground. Blood was pooling around him and growing with each passing second.

The two blonde’s weren’t far from the Iwa Nin. Naruto was on his back, one arm bent back underneath his body in a most peculiar way while blood trickled from a cut on his forehead and dripped down his face. His other hand had the barest grip on the back of Kyoko’s shirt. It was hard to see what other damage there was to him because Kyoko was lying on his chest while her legs were dipping into the water of the stream.

It was hard to tell what was wrong with her, making it easy to believe that Naruto took the brunt of the explosion.

“They need to see a doctor immediately.” Jiraiya said as he got to them, Pakkun nodding his head in agreement. From this close, they could see the blood leaking from Naruto’s side, staining both the ground and Kyoko a dark crimson.

As he made to grab Kyoko off Naruto, Jiraiya flinched, jerking his hand back. Red chakra enveloped Naruto, the wounds slowly getting smaller and smaller as he just lay against the ground, oblivious. The wound in his side was growing shallower, closing itself over before it was just a blood drenched bruise.

His fangs grew longer, protruding past his bottom lip and his whiskers became more prominent along his cheeks.

The red chakra coincidentally washed over Kyoko who lay on top of him, the female’s brow scrunching together as her skin itched and began to sweat in the red chakra. When it began to burn, she groaned in pain and tried to push away.

The chakra wasn’t meant for anyone who wasn’t the host.

Jiraiya watched in shock at the scene that was going on before he saw her weakly try to push away from her brother’s chest. She was getting no where and Jiraiya got over his shock as he reached a hand in and grabbed her arm, pulling her away.

The chakra burned the flesh of his hand but he quickly pulled both his hand and Kyoko out of the red mass which quickly shaped itself to Naruto’s singular form. Kyoko’s eyes squeezed open weakly, her vision blurry and unfocused.

She saw red.

Red chakra.

She squinted, trying to focus against the way her skull pounded from when her and Naruto hit the ground. The red took up most of her vision but she saw past it. Naruto lay inside the redness, the chakra swirling around him…almost looking like a fox.

His fangs and whiskers marks struck a chord with her and the red, fox like chakra made Kyoko freeze up, her heart skipping a beat.

She unconsciously clutched at the arm that had pulled her away from the burning feeling…someone she still hadn’t bothered to look at yet, and felt her childhood instincts try and override her brain.

It was just like back then. The Kyuubi. The…

‘Naruto.’ A voice tried to reason in her head, interrupting her. ‘It’s Naruto. Calm down. Calm down. He just protected you against an exploding tag.’

Kyoko gulped as she straightened up, loosening her hold on the person’s arm.

“This is bad…” The person next to her muttered and Kyoko looked over to her side, finally looking at who had helped her. It took her a while to recognize him from their one time meeting from her childhood. The face was familiar, but the name never came to her.

“I think it’s stopping Jiraiya.” Pakkun commented from where he stood by Naruto’s head.

The pug was right, the red chakra was fading, turning a lighter shade of red. Kyoko watched in mild fascination as Naruto’s fangs retreated, his jaw cracking to readjusted itself, his whisker marks becoming those simple three lines once more.

Only one eye cracked open as Naruto groaned, the other eye closed shut with the amount of dried blood caked over it. He only tried to prop himself, only for his eye to roll back and for him to fall unconscious.

“We should get him to a hospital while we can still touch him.” Pakkun advised. Jiraiya didn’t have to be told again, the Sannin walking forward and hositing Naruto up in his other arm before him, Naruto, and Kyoko all disappeared in a swirl of smoke.

~*~
Tears, Candy, and Fan Girls by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Wow, halfway through writing this chapter I stopped and read it over and realized it was a little sappy. Well at least it seemed that way to me. But it had to be done…I mean I like some sap, but too much is just…too much. Hopefully I didn’t overdue anything.

Happy early Valentines Day to all you people.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 23: Tears, Candy, and Fan Girls

~*~

Kyoko just starred at the door in front of her, biting her bottom lip as her gaze fixated on the door handle. It had been two days since she had arrived at the hospital and she had been treated upon arrival. The nurses had kept her there to monitor her until they were sure that she had no side effect from the explosion beside her sprained ankle. That aside, her cuts were treated and wrapped and after some rest, she was feeling better.

“Kyoko? Are you going in?”

Kyoko jerked back at the voice and turned to see Sakura standing in the hall, a vase with a single flower in her hands.

“Ah…well…maybe.” Kyoko admitted softly as she tucked her hair behind her ear, having lost her hair elastics when the doctors were checking her over and made her take them out.

“How are you doing? They let you out already?” Kyoko asked, her gaze saddening as she saw the brightly coloured bruise blossoming across the side of Sakura’s face. The pinkette gave a small smile, a missing tooth visible as she did so.

It wouldn’t grow back, so she’d be stuck with the reminder of the battle for the rest of her life.

“I just had a mild concussion is all. They let me out yesterday.” She admitted softly before her gaze fell to the ground. “Sasuke-kun, Naruto, and Kakashi-sensei were the ones who did most of the fighting.”

It was true. She had just stood there while they did the work.

‘I’m pathetic.’ Sakura thought bitterly.

Right after being released, Sakura went to see Sasuke and saw him almost unconscious against his bed, his skin, although pale, sticking out strikingly against the white sheets. The medics assured her that it was only because they were extracting the poison from him. He would be fine.

But still, the fact that he had been so badly poisoned…showed how involved he was in the fight. While she had walked away with just a mild concussion and a missing tooth. What did that say about her?

Silence enveloped the two girls for a moment before Kyoko bowed, her hair falling over her shoulders as she did so.

“Thank you. You all came to help me. I owe you all a lot.”

Sakura looked embarrassed as she began waving her hand in front of her face. “No no, it’s ok. You’re our friend. We had to help” She reassured, Kyoko straightening up as Sakura continued in for a few more seconds.

“It still means a lot to me.” Kyoko replied, Sakura nodding before letting her gaze trail to the side. She really hadn’t done too much. Her gaze landed on the numbers on the door and she blinked in recognition.

“Hey…isn’t this Naruto’s room?” She asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Um, yeah it is.” Kyoko nodded. Sakura looked at the door before looking down as if just seeming to realize that she had something in her hand for the first time.

“Why don’t you go in. I’ll come check in with you and the idiot in a bit. I’m going to go see Sasuke-kun first.” Sakura offered as she held up the single flower, obviously indicating that it was meant for the raven haired male. The thought of giving Sasuke a flower made the corner of Kyoko’s lip quirk up in a snicker, but she managed to keep it from forming any further.

“Have fun with that.” Kyoko smiled as Sakura began walking down the hall. She was half tempted to go with her to see Sasuke’s face when Sakura offered the plant to him but she decided against it.

Her smile disappeared as she turned to the door once more. She hesitated as she reached her arm towards the handle, finger twitching, before she grabbed it and pulled it open.

She half expected her twin to be out of bed and be complaining about boredom or doing something energy efficient…something that suited his personality like she remembered it from the Academy.

She hadn’t expected him to be sleeping.

She looked around the room before stepping inside and closing the door behind her. It clicked shut softly, but Naruto didn’t even stir. She neared the bed, guilt pulling at her heart like wire as she saw the bulky cast that enveloped his right arm, a bandage wrapped across his forehead in place of his forehead protector. She was sure that if she looked under the white shirt provided by the hospital, she would also see bandages wrapped around his middle as well.

The doctors called him their miracle patient.

He had apparently been admitted in with four broken ribs on his right side and his whole arm dislocated and broken. He had a cut across his forehead and he hit his head hard, but yet amazingly didn’t have any form of concussion.

They were all in awe because in just one night, two of his ribs went from broken to cracked. Bones didn’t heal that fast! And his arm, which would normally take weeks to heal, was healing itself in sections. His shoulder, which had been shattered from impact, they guessed, was already functional.

But seeing him made the wire of guilt pull even tighter. It was her fault that he was like this. He could’ve died…should’ve died…coming after her. The doctors were all surprised he was still alive after taking the full force of the exploding tag.

And it was all because of her.

She sat on the stool beside his bed and rest her hands on top of the sheets on his bed.

“I…I know you probably can’t hear me right now.” She began quietly as her hands fidgeted with the cloth of the blanket. “But I wanted to say thank you.”

Her head was bowed forward, hair covering her face as her shoulders hunched up by her ears.

Her Academy self would have never uttered those words and Kyoko felt a great sadness she couldn’t even describe well up inside of her as she realized this. Her younger self, not by much mind you, wouldn’t have even been sitting in this very room.

With her brother…the person who just saved her. Who shared her blood.

‘How cruel.’

“Just, thank you for coming after me.” She continued, her voice wavering as the sadness built inside of her and stung at her eyes. “I’m sorry you had to do that. You almost died coming after me.”

‘I don’t deserve it.’ She thought in shame as her hands fisted the material of the blanket into a tight ball. She bent her head as her shoulders hunched up by her ears.

“I should’ve been more alert or…or…I don’t know. It’s my fault you’re hurt. I’m sorry.” She tried, her voice trailing into a whisper. She sniffled as a tear fell down her cheek and fell onto the blanket.

“I understand if you don’t forgive me.” She said quickly as she released the blanket with one hand and wiped at her eyes hurriedly as more tears began to form, still talking. “I was horrible to you. I ran away from you constantly and hit you…and that time when I attacked you at your house. I didn’t even see you as my brother. Or even human at the time.” She confessed, taking her hand away from her face, only for fresh tears to trail down her cheeks.

Why weren’t they stopping? Why couldn’t she stop talking? It was like the words were spilling out of her mouth as soon as she began speaking them. Like as soon as she began, she couldn’t stop.

“It was just too cruel. I won‘t forgive myself for thinking like that again. I’m just so sorry.” She apologized as she leaned forward and buried her face into the edge of the blankets. “I’m sorry, so sorry. I’m sorry.”

‘Please believe me. I’m sorry.’

The words repeated themselves in a whispered mantra as Kyoko stayed folded over the edge of his bed. She didn’t care if he heard her or not. Her grip on the blankets loosened and she just lay with her face pressed against the bed, tears still moistening the fabric as she sniffled.

“So does this mean we’re friends again?”

Kyoko pushed herself off against the bed so quickly she rocketed off the stool and landed on her back with a ‘thud’, arms sprawled out against the ground.

Naruto peered at her from the side of the bed, blue eyes locked onto her fallen form and eyebrows raised, disappearing into his bangs. She blinked twice slowly before Kyoko scrambled back up onto her stool, opening and closing her mouth, speechless.

Naruto’s eyes softened as he saw the remaining tears that had been clinging to her face finish streaking down her cheek and drip off her chin now that she was upright. He hadn’t actually expected her to be crying.

Her mouth finally shut and she straightened up, eyes starring at her lap. “I didn’t know you were awake.” She muttered, her cheeks colouring lightly.

“I wasn’t.”

“Wha--?” Her face snapped up so quickly that Naruto couldn’t help the grin that spread across his face.

“Ok I lied, I was. Well not the whole time. I think I came to once you started crying. I heard sniffling.”

“Oh.”

“Well I came to say thank you.” She continued quietly before self consciously wiping at her face with her sleeve once more, her gaze fixed on her brother as she did so this time. “You know, for saving me.”

“Well I couldn’t just let them cart you off to wherever the hell they were going to take you.” Naruto argued firmly, his brow furrowing as he sat up in his bed, grunting as his body ached in protest, the still broken ribs in his side crying out in pain as he did so.

“Besides, you’re my friend…well not to mention my imouto.”

Kyoko’s finger twitched on her lap.

Naruto’s head perked up as a bitter smile appeared on her face. “Why…why are you still nice to me?” She asked, her eyes shining with genuine curiosity.

She was met with silence, Naruto only showing a sign of life by switching his gaze to look out the window beside his bed. She decided to keep talking. She needed to know.

“I mean I tried to completely avoid you throughout the Academy years and I attacked you at your apartment.” She confessed. “If I were in your shoes, I wouldn‘t be nice to me. I just don‘t understand. If yo--”

“You and Sasuke,” He interrupted abruptly. “You two were my first friends. Ever. I was completely alone and no one would ever think about playing with me. I hated how empty and hallow everything was. When I was really little, I used to cry over that fact. But then one day you two decided to play with me for no real reason.” Here he smirked as he continued to gaze out the window, face turned from Kyoko.

“We became best friends even and I was actually happy and having fun for the first time I could remember. I wanted to always be happy like that so inside I vowed to always be friends with you two.”

Kyoko bit her bottom lip as the wire of guilt pulled at her again.

“But then I stopped hanging out with you. That was when Hari-san told me about the Kyuubi.” She admitted, ashamed as her gaze falling to her lap.

“You took it better then the villagers.” Was the simple answer he provided. Kyoko doubted him but said nothing.

Silence fell upon them and it was a few minutes before either one moved. A sigh from the male broke the air.

“But now I can rub it in the teme’s face.” Naruto bragged as he turned to face her again, fox like grin on his features.

“Huh?”

“After you told me you didn’t want to be friends anymore, I told him that I would be friends with you again.” He declared before blinking and looking her over cautiously. “We are friends again right? Like besides being family…we’re friends?”

Kyoko just starred at him before her shoulders shook. Watery laughter erupted from her throat as Kyoko nodded her head.

‘Idiot.’ Her thoughts sighed warmly. She had been the one asking for forgiveness and yet he was the one who was wondering whether they were friends? He was starting to strike her as simply amazing.

Naruto smiled.

~*~

The two blond siblings were arguing over something when Sakura entered the room. Kyoko looked up where she was standing in the corner of the room, holding onto two folded pieces of orange cloth, Naruto looking up as well from his position on the bed.

His ribs didn’t allow him to get off it quite yet or else he would’ve grabbed his clothes himself. Then they wouldn’t have been arguing about the proper colour of clothes for ninja.

“Oh hey Sakura.” Kyoko greeted before noticing the pinkette’s mood. “Your mood darkened.” She noted bluntly.

“Your’s brightened.” Sakura replied just as bluntly as she sat down on the stool next to Naruto’s bed.

“Did things not go well with Sasuke?” Kyoko asked as she walked over, setting the rather tattered jumpsuit on the edge of the bed. Naruto struggled to reach it, but it was achingly out of his grasp.

“No.” Sakura grunted as she crossed her arms over her chest, looking moody. Kyoko didn’t even have to prompt her about what had happened. “Apparently news about Sasuke-kun being in the hospital spread so when I went to go see him, there was practically a line of girls outside of his room. They all had little presents for him and all screamed like harpies when I pushed past them to walk into the room. Hello! I’m his teammate!” She said as she began motioning with her hands enthusiastically.

“When I got inside the room, Sasuke was dead asleep and Kakashi was acting like some kind of lazy body guard. I didn’t even get to talk to Sasuke-kun and Kakashi-sensei made me place my flower on the bedside table along with all the other gifts those stupid girls gave him.” She growled. After a second she grumbled to herself. “You could hardly even see it.”

“I don’t think Sasuke would like all this attention.” Kyoko mumbled to herself as she listened to Sakura’s rant.

Sakura’s eyes suddenly narrowed in annoyance. “Oh for the love of…Naruto! Here!” She hissed as she grabbed the orange cloth and shoved it towards him, the male having made pathetic attempts to grab his clothes the whole time she was talking.

It was annoying the hell out of her!

His eyes lit up and he immediately snatched it away.

“Huh? What? NO!” Kyoko cried too late as Naruto clutched the jumpsuit to his chest. Sighing, Kyoko rubbed her forehead.

“Why, out of every color out there, do you dress yourself in bright orange?” Kyoko sighed.

“I like orange!” Naruto cried defensively. Kyoko rolled her eyes while Sakura wrinkled her nose at the garment. It wasn’t exactly the most fashionable thing out there.

Then without warning, he began struggling to get himself out of the white hospital shirt he was in.

“IDIOT! WAIT FOR US TO LEAVE BEFORE YOU DO THAT!” Sakura screeched, wanting to punch him, but relenting and only smacking him with a pillow instead. He was injured after all.

“Ow! Sakura-chan!” Naruto whined, rubbing his head as Sakura dragged Kyoko out of the room with her. Even when she hit him with a pillow, she still hit hard. Returning to the task that he had been about to do, he struggled out of his shirt before pulling on the black one that was folded in with the pieces of his jumpsuit. The shirt he always wore underneath.

As he put his jumpsuit on, he frowned at the missing sleeve and the various tears. He would have to find another orange jumpsuit.

And it had to be orange!

He didn’t just like orange because it was a cool color. There was something more to it than that. It had started when he was about ten and had consumed him since. People had ignored him, pretending like his very existence didn’t even exist…when they weren’t glaring at him or sneering.

They shunned him and kept all of their attention away from him.

Orange was an attention grabbing color. It was always easy to spot. People couldn’t help but notice it. Couldn’t tear their eyes away. It commanded attention…the thing he wanted when he was younger.

Fully dressed, Naruto shifted on his bed, not noticing that his ribs barely ached anymore as he leaned back against his bed, dressed like a giant, attention grabbing orange.

~*~

“Well I’m going to go check up on him.” Kyoko said as she waved to the Haruno, the two females standing at the main entrance of the hospital.

“Good luck getting past that line of girls.” Sakura huffed, looking disgruntled yet again. She had wanted more than to talk to Sasuke. She had wanted to thank him too. Who knew what state she would be in if Sasuke hadn’t had been there?

Kyoko only nodded before they parted ways. It only then occurred to her to wonder what room Sasuke was in, or even what floor for that matter. A passing nurse was kind enough to give her the room number and Kyoko set off. When she reached the right hall, Kyoko saw two girls exit from a door, whispering to each other as they went. They looked roughly around her age.

Peeking at the numbers displayed on the door, Kyoko saw they matched the numbers the nurse gave her.

‘I guess the line of girls did their business quickly.’ Kyoko mused as she went to the door. Just as she was about to open it, the door opened and she met the chest of a man. Stepping back, she blinked and looked up into a masked face.

Kakashi briefly looked at her over his orange ‘Icha Icha Paradise’ book before sighing.

“I thought those two were the last ones.” He mumbled to himself, certain that he could leave now. That was the last time he was doing Sasuke a favour. The Uchiha was pretending to be asleep for the good portion of the day because he didn’t want to deal with any of the girls that came to visit him.

“Ah, you must be Kakashi-sensei.” She said before stepping back and bowing towards him. “Thank you for coming to help me. I’m sorry if you got hurt.”

Kakashi blinked, pausing as he actually took in her appearance.

That face. Long blond hair. Female.

She looked a hell of a lot Naruto.

It had to be her.

Kyoko. Minato’s other child.

It was his first time actually meeting her.

He stepped forward and closed the door quietly behind him. He folded over the corner of the page in his book before closing it. “No, that’s alright. You must be Kyoko then.”

She straightened up before nodding. She then peered around his form, looking at the door before glancing up at the silver haired Jounin. “Is this Sasuke’s room? I wanted to thank him as well.”

Kakashi looked back at the door as well before inwardly shrugging. Surely he could let her talk to Sasuke…she had a valid reason. Wordlessly, he opened the door before opening his book once more and walking away, becoming immersed in it’s content.

Kyoko stepped into the room and the same instance she did, there was a small rustle near the bed. She looked over but only saw a sleeping Uchiha. She ignored it as she continued to look around the room.

She was impressed at all the stuff that cluttered the space around his bed. There was an assortment of flowers, some baskets of foods, some get well cards, and some other things that were hard to see at the moment.

Sasuke tried not to let his eyebrow twitch as he heard footsteps approach his bed. Usually Kakashi instructed the girls to put their stuff down and get out. But that stupid bastard had left.

Darn him! Sasuke would have his revenge!

He was supposed to be sleeping to let his body regain it’s strength from the poison. Or at least that’s what Kakashi and the nurses told the girls.

They just wouldn’t leave him alone!

A weight settled on the edge of his bed, near his shoulder, and Sasuke focused on making his breath deep and even, his face perfectly relaxed…or as relaxed as he could be. Then the sound of plastic crinkling reached his ears and he almost groaned. Had someone brought him another gaudy present?

“Wow! Look at all the candy in this basket! Oh, watermelon gummies!”

Sasuke’s eyes opened automatically at the familiar voice.

Kyoko had her back to him, a basket lying open in her lap with the destroyed plastic covering lying beside her, the blond popping some watermelon gummies into her mouth.

Sasuke blinked.

He couldn’t recognize her for a second with her hair down. She didn’t look the same. She looked more…mature and less childish. Not at all like the girl he knew.

Maybe he head misheard the voice.

She went to reach for another candy when her eye caught his and she visibly jumped.

“God! Would people stop pretending to be asleep?!” She accused heatedly. “Honestly, first Naruto, then you.” She said as jabbed a watermelon in his direction.

Nope, that was definitely Kyoko.

“Put your hair up.”

She blinked, her anger forgotten for a second at the weird command.

“…why?” She asked slowly, watching as Sasuke sat up.

“You don’t look the same without you’re hair up.” He said as he looked at her hand, with the candy still held out towards him, and pushed it away. She just starred at him, but he looked as emotionless as ever. She contemplated his words for a second before shrugging.

“I don’t have any elastic.” She replied airily before turning back to assess the assortment of goods people gave him. “I wonder which one is Sakura’s. I only really glanced at it.” Kyoko muttered to herself as she leaned forward and began rifling through the various vases that littered the top of the bedside table.

“It doesn’t matter, I’m going to throw everything out anyways.” Sasuke grumbled, eyeing the flowers with distastes as Kyoko made a noise of triumph and brought a single white flower forward towards the front of the collection.

Instead of a normal girl, who would scold him for revealing his bad intentions for the gifts, Kyoko only shrugged. “Fine, but let me take the candy and at least keep Sakura’s flower.”

He raised a brow, not saying anything. She saw his face and elaborated.

“What? You don’t like sweet things and Sakura’s my friend. Don’t throw out her stuff or else you’ll hurt her feelings. If Ino brought you something too, don’t throw it out either.”

Sasuke only rolled his eyes. How was he supposed to know which one Ino brought him? He had been pretending to be asleep the whole time. Strangely enough, pretending to be asleep made him tired.

A growl interrupted the air and the two preteens blinked before Kyoko looked at the Uchiha who only scowled back.

“What?” He demanded. “I’m hungry.”

She looked around at the baskets of food surrounding him. “Hmm, well look at that. Not one of your fan girls thought about bringing you actual food. It’s all candy.” She mused.

Sasuke groaned while Kyoko stood up.

“Here, I’ll get you something, don’t bother the nurses or anything.” She said before disappearing from the room without waiting for Sasuke to say anything. He waited for her to come back, but it seemed like forever and he found exhaustion creeping up on him.

Who knew that by pretending to be asleep half the day you would wear yourself out? Maybe it was the stress with came with who it was he was trying to avoid by pretending to be asleep.

The next moment, he found himself asleep, slumped against his pillow with his arms crossed loosely against his chest, the position he had been in while he waited for the blond to come back. When he came to, it was late in the afternoon instead of the morning, which was when he had fallen asleep.

He yawned, rubbing his eye as his neck ached from how he slept. His hand hit a small folding tray standing up above his lap, a piece of paper on the corner.

'I can’t believe you fell asleep! I was only gone for ten minutes! Well anyways, I hope I got something you approve of. Oh and thank you for earlier. Sorry you were poisoned. Kyoko.'

Sasuke looked at the food she had picked out for him. A set of rice balls and three tomatoes looked back at him. His lip quirked up at that. Looking to his side, he absently noticed that all the baskets and gifts that the girls had given him were gone, save for Sakura’s vase and one with ‘Yamanaka Ino’ printed in bold letters, multiple flowers protruding from that particular one.

He set Kyoko’s note among the two flowers before eating his meal.

~*~

“Where did you get all this?” Naruto asked through a mouthful of chocolate. His room was littered with baskets of candy and other sweets. Kyoko sat on his bed with him, unwrapping a piece of candy.

“I stole it from Sasuke.”

~*~

“NO!” Kiba shouted as he struck his arms out, his voice cutting through the silence of the room. “No more of these crappy missions! I mean it!” He continued to rant, Akamaru giving a single bark from the front of his coat.

“Ki-Kiba-kun!” Hinata squeaked in surprise, her pearl eyes going huge as she starred at her teammate. Her gaze then flickered to the Hokage seated a few feet in front of them and her cheeks instantly coloured while Kurenai’s eyes widened as well.

“Kiba! What are you saying?” Yuuhi Kurenai scolded as she grabbed a hold of the hood of Kiba’s jacket, the hood worn down for once, and yanked him back. He stumbled, loosing his balance and flailing his arms for a moment while Kurenai looked over at the table where everyone sat watching them.

“I’m so sorry Hokage-sama.” Kurenai apologized as she shot an apologetic look towards Sarutobi who was watching the scene from his position behind the long desk, Iruka shooting the Inuuk a disapproving look from the Hokage’s side.

Before anyone could continue talking, Kiba continued from where he left off, wrenching himself away from Kurenai‘s grasp and almost tumbling into the ever silent Shino.

“But come on! We’ve been doing stupid D-rank missions ever since we got out of the Academy! We haven’t even done a C-rank mission yet! What’s with that? We can handle it!” Kiba continued, Akamaru giving a single bark to show his agreement.

Iruka stood from his desk as he decided to answer Kiba’s question for himself.

“You’re merely Genins who graduated from the Academy a couple months ago! You start with the easy missions first to gain experience. So you do the D-rank missions that we gave you!” Iruka explained as he scowled at the Inuzuka who only scowled back, his fangs peeking out from his lip.

“You have all just become Genins recently,” Everyone paused as Sarutobi spoke. “so D-rank missions are best suited for you.”

Kiba sighed, the sound seeming to have come from his very soul as he ran a hand through his hair. “Look, I know that. But we can handle better missions. Honest to God.” Kiba continued.

Iruka looked as if he was about to open his mouth and scold Kiba once more for persisting when Sarutobi had clearly closed the matter, when Sarutobi held up his hand, causing the Chuunin to blink.

“Alright.”

“Wh-What?!” Iruka and Kurenai cried out in shock while Kiba felt his jaw drop slightly. He looked slowly over at his teammates to see if they had heard the same thing he had. Or if he had just wanted a better mission so much he had hallucinated.

Shino looked the same and Hinata looked frozen in places, her skin changing from the flushed color it had been, to extremely pale.

Taking advantage of the silence, Sarutobi decided to keep talking.

“I will allow you to take on a C-mission.”

“YES!” Kiba yelled out, now realizing that he had not hallucinated, and this was in fact happening. The Sandaime watched as Kiba pumped his fists in the air and continued to do some kind of weird victory dance.

It was only a matter of time before the new Genins snapped, always wanting to take on better missions. There was always someone who snapped. In all honesty though, he had been surprised that the Inuzuka boy had been the first one of this generation to snap. He for sure thought Naruto would’ve snapped a long time ago.

Then again, if memory served him correctly, Naruto was in the hospital at the moment, along with another member of his team…the Uchiha boy.

“You have to escort a bridge builder named Tazuna to the Land of Waves.” Sarutobi continued.

“Wait…wait, Hokage-sama.” Kurenai called out, casting a glance at her students before locking eyes with the Sandaime. “You can’t be serious about this!”

“What? You don’t think we can do this?” Kiba asked, highly offended at the lack of confidence their teacher had in them. Kurenai turned to face him, reprimand ready on her tongue, and blinked.

Hinata was standing a little straighter, her teeth biting into her bottom lip though she met Kurenai’s gaze evenly while Shino stood with his jaw set, posture immaculacy straight and sunglasses glinting. With Kiba, all three were looking at her, all with traces of determination in their demeanour.

They wanted to do this. Actually do this. Althought Kiba had been the only one who spoke out, it seemed they all wanted to go on this mission.

“I…” She started, her brows drawing together in confusion. What could she say now? “I see.” She turned to look at Sarutobi and nodded. “We’ll take the mission.”

Iruka seemed at loss of what to do. No one was on his side anymore. The Chuunin slowly lowered himself back down into his chair.

Sarutobi nodded his understanding before continuing. “You can come in now!” He called out loudly, Team 8 turning as the door opened.

A man came in, a bottle of sake held in one hand. He peered at the three Genins through his glazes before his eyebrows shot up.

“What is this? They’re all just kids!” Tazuna accused with a scoff, grimacing before taking a swig from the sake bottle in his hands. The smell and the insult, made Kiba wrinkle his nose. The sake made the man’s color heighten in his face as he walked forward.

“Tazuna-san,” Sarutobi spoke up. “rest assured, they are qualified ninjas.”

The old bridge builder scoffed before looking them over. Ninjas? Children like them?

“You’re job is to escort me back to my country, and then protect me while I finish completing the bridge.” Tazuna informed them as he placed a hand on his hip. “Think you can handle that?”

~*~
Fighting Zabuza by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: The only thing that made it hard to write this chapter was that Kurenai doesn't fight that much so it made it a pain to write a scene where she's fighting someone. Like I mean, I know she does fight, but since she uses genjutsu and whatnot, it's not very exciting.

But anyways, here's the chapter. Enjoy for I will be gone on a trip to the US for awhile so it'll be a little bit before I update again.
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: The only thing that made it hard to write this chapter was that Kurenai doesn't fight that much so it made it a pain to write a scene where she's fighting someone. Like I mean, I know she does fight, but since she uses genjutsu and whatnot, it's not very exciting.

But anyways, here's the chapter. Enjoy for I will be gone on a trip to the US for awhile so it'll be a little bit before I update again.

~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 24: Fighting Zabuza

~*~

"This was not in the mission. The mission clearly stated that we were to protect you from gangs or robbers. These men are Chuunin from Kiri!" Kurenai yelled at Tazuna as she pointed at the mentioned Kiri Nins, unconscious and bound to the base of a tree. They had attacked Team 8 as they were escorting Tazuna back to the Land of Waves, Shino and Kurenai being the first to move. Kurenai had trapped them in a genjutsu before they could do any damage while Shino's bugs flew out of his sleeves, making a protective wall entirely made out of bugs, surrounding the rest of the team.

Tazuna just stood there, letting her berate him.

"If you have shinobi after you, this would've been an expensive B-rank mission."

"Cool!"

"No Kiba! It is not cool!" Kurenai snapped as she glared at the Inuzuka. Luckily none of them had been touched by the claws on the Kiri Nins and so they didn't require any medical attention to get out any poison that Kurenai had later found the claws coated in.

"Before we take even a single step further, you will tell us what is going on." Kurenai demanded as her voice began to lower to her normal speaking volume. "Or we will turn right around and go back to our village."

"WHAT?!" Kiba yelped.

"B-but…Kurenai-sensei, we c-can't just l-l-leave." Hinata protested softly…which was saying a lot. Hinata wasn't one to protest. Shino nodded his head at the Hyuuga heiress' words.

Tazuna fell sombre before speaking up. He told them all about the man named Gatou, one of the wealthiest men alive. How he was against the completion of the bridge and had hired ninjas to kill of Tazuna because the bridge would interfere with his secret business of dealing drugs and taking over small countries.

When Gatou set his sight on the land of Waves, he took control of their shipping industry so the bridge would be the only way for the villagers to bypass using the ships. It would be their way of going against Gatou and he didn't approve of it.

Team 8 listened to the man's story earnestly before Kurenai bit her bottom lip and glanced out at her students. This was their first C-rank mission…they weren't ready for something like this. Who knew what level of ninja Gatou had hired?

"Why don't you come back to the Village with us and hire proper ninjas for this job." Kurenai responded in a more understanding voice now, ignoring Kiba's words of 'we are proper ninjas'.

"I don't have enough money to meet the pay for proper B-rank. I asked all the Villagers I could and all the money we were able to scrounge together could only pay for a C-rank." Tazuna explained as he shook his head sadly. His country really was in rough shape.

"Please…if you guys leave me now, I'll be killed. Then no one will finish the bridge." He pleaded.

"Kurenai-sensei, this guy needs help and we said we would help him." Kiba defended. "We already accepted the mission."

Hinata nodded in agreement while Akamaru barked.

"At the v-very l-least we could h-help him back t-to W-Wave." Hinata piped up while Kiba frowned. He wanted to actually help the man, no compromises. Tazuna looked between the two females of the group while Kurenai considered the proposition.

She straightened up, rolling her shoulders back. "Fine. We'll escort you to Wave." She confirmed. "But then…" She added, eyeing her students seriously. "We're heading back to Konoha."

~*~

Team 8 stepped off of the small boat that had led them to the Land of Waves, and stepped off onto a creaky pier. Tazuna bid good-bye to the rower of the boat while his protection for now busied themselves surveying the area for trouble.

"Oh boy…smell that air! Salty!" Kiba relished in a mix of delight and awe as he smelt the air, Akamaru following his lead.

"Indeed." Shino remarked, his bugs reacting inside his coat to the change in the air around him.

"Kiba, be serious!" Kurenai scolded as they began walking, Tazuna set firmly in the center of the group. This time, Kurenai took the lead.

"Aw relax sensei." Kiba complained, shoulders drooping. Did she have no faith in their abilities at all? They could've handled those two guys back there if she hadn't had finished them off first. She was taking all the joy out of this.

"It's only a little farther until we reach the town." Tazuna offered as he saw Kurenai glare at the Inuzuka boy. They had left the pier and were walking along a well remembered path, trees growing abundantly along either side. He knew this path like the back of his very own hand.

A few minutes of silence, Shino twitched. A rather unusual thing for the stoic bug user to do.

"S-Shino-kun?" Hinata intoned in concern.

"My bugs are…acting…" Shino paused to find the right word. Underneath his coat, his very skin, his bugs were skittering about in a way that he wasn't accustomed to. "unusual." He finally decided.

Kurenai turned to look at him when something in the trees caught her eye. Her heart dropped to her stomach in a moment of 'oh shit' as she assessed what she saw quickly.

"EVERYONE GET DOWN!"

Kurenai tackled Tazuna around the middle, Hinata toppling into an oblivious Kiba, Shino hitting the ground with alert reflexes as something metal just scraped past the top of their heads. It whizzed through the air before crashing into a nearby tree trunk with a sickening crunch, embedding into the wood.

Whatever it was, it sounded heavy.

Kurenai jolted up off the winded bridge builder, eyes fixating on the huge sword sticking from the tree as a tan, shirtless man leapt down onto the handle of the massive sword. The bottom half of his face was covered in bandages in a masked fashion, making facial features nearly impossible to distinguish.

"Konoha ninja huh?" He asked as he turned around, eyeing them as the others began to come to their feet as well. His eyes narrowed as he surveyed the kids standing upright. There was no way in hell they were ninja. They had probably never even killed a person before.

'This isn't good. This isn't good. HELL! This isn't good!' Kurenai's thoughts whirled as she grit her teeth together. That was Momochi Zabuza, a missing Nin from Kiri. He had a very bad reputation and was excellent and silent killing. Killing of any kind really.

He was known as the demon of the mist.

Why the hell did he have to show up on this mission?

"Momochi Zabuza." Kurenai growled out as she pushed herself in front of her students. "Stay back. All of you!" She hissed quietly as she thrust an arm out in front of Hinata, the one in front, and gently began pushing her back.

There was no way any of them could handle a ninja of this calibre.

"Now!" Was the heated reply she gave Kiba's defiant look.

A smirk pulled at Zabuza's lips underneath his bandages as he watched the pathetic attempt to protect the kids. Like she would be any protection if he decided to get really serious.

Ridiculous. They weren't even worth his time.

"Sorry but I don't know who you are." Zabuza said casually as he crouched down where he stood, one hand grasping the handle of the sword underneath him tightly. "And I have no intention of knowing."

"My only goal…is that bridge builder there." He clarified as he jerked his chin in Tazuna's direction, the older man flinching. Instinctively the three Genins formed a protective triangle around him, the most basic of protective formations one was taught in the Academy.

Zabuza almost wanted to laugh at them.

Kurenai felt herself standing tall as she faced him, muscles tensing. It was her duty now, to protect everyone. Tazuna's town needed him and her students needed her.

"You'll have to fight me first." She called out as her body sunk into a well practiced fighting style that she didn't even have to think about.

Zabuza's eyes sparked with amusement. "Oh?" He voiced, a brow quirking. He raised his feet and pushed off against the tree trunk, dislodging his sword in a flurry of movement. He disappeared only for the splash of water to give away his position.

His tall form stood on top of a small body of water to their left, past a few trees. One hand was poised in front of his mouth while the other rose into the air. "Kirigakure no Jutsu (Hidden Mist no Jutsu)." He said as water splashed up, obscuring his form before he disappeared.

Thick, heavy mist filtered into the air, clouding everyone's vision and making Kiba feel like he was choking. He could hardly breath through the stuff, it was so dense. He could hardly see anyone either, his teammates and Tazuna were just visible to him because they were standing so close.

Kurenai hissed something obscene under her breath.

"Hinata!" She called out, the navy haired girl squeaking in response.

"Y-y-yes?" She stuttered back, tightening the grip on the kunai she had pulled out the moment Zabuza had said he was after Tazuna. She had to keep a level head. The prospect of dying seemed to real and evident in this circumstance that she felt like fainting.

And she couldn't do that under these circumstances.

"Can you activate your Byakugan and tell me where he is?!" Kurenai instructed as she moved her head left and right, trying to sense his chakra. Hinata fumbled for a second before squaring her shoulders and making a single hand sign, closing her eyes. She didn't even bother to tell Kurenai about the limits to her sight.

Her eyes shot open, veins around her temple bulging as chakra flowed through them. "Byakugan!"

The mist was suddenly gone, replaced with a world of chakra systems and the swirl of chakra. She could see the chakra swirling from her teammates and Kurenai not too far from all of them.

She slowly turned her head, scanning the now visible trees, careful not to overlook anything. She hoped fervently that she could be of use and that Zabuza wasn't out of her range.

"I'll help." Kiba whispered beside her before he thrust his nose into the muggy air, Akamaru following his example. It was so hard to breath with all this mist swirling around them.

A gasp ripped through the air, emitting from the Hyuuga as she located Zabuza's chakra network…coming straight at her!

Her words caught in her throat as fear encased her.

Her world began tilting, Hinata not noticing Kiba's hands pulling her down the same instance she caught sight of him. He had caught a whiff of his scent and had reacted.

Zabuza's sword swung through the air where Hinata had stood seconds before.

"KURENAI-SENSEI! HE'S HERE!" Kiba yelled as he continued to scramble back, taking Hinata with him. At his words, Shino yanked Tazuna away from the blade being lifted into the air once again.

"Tch, missed." Zabuza grumbled to himself. Kurenai snapped her head around before launching herself in the direction of Kiba's voice as Zabuza swung with his sword again.

Metal ground against metal as Kurenai's kunai grated against his blade, the Jounin grunting from the effort it took to keep him at bay. They broke apart and Kurenai ducked as she thrust her kunai upwards, embedding it inside his ribs. There was a gurgle from the missing Nin, Kurenai's eyes narrowing.

That was too easy.

His body morphed into water, splashing over her.

"Behind you Kurenai-sensei!" Hinata managed to yell this time, the real Zabuza glancing at the Hyuuga as he burst out from behind Kurenai and kicked the woman in the ribs. She grunted as she skid a few inches before spinning around, her body breaking apart into multiple flower petals.

'A genjutsu.' Zabuza thought to himself as he watched the petals float through the air. 'Too bad for her I know how to break genjutsu.'

"Kai!" Zabuza said as he twirled, swinging his sword in a wide arc into the air around him. There was a pained gasp as it struck something and the petals reformed into the solid form of Kurenai, clutching at her shoulder where the blade of the weapon was embedded.

Pain sparked from every nerve of her arm as Zabuza grinned and yanked the sword out, making Kurenai cry out before he swung his arm around and hit her in the temple with the back of his hand.

She flew into the small lake he had stood on not too long ago.

"KURENAI-SENSEI!" Kiba cried out in concern and panic as the water splashed around her, her body disappearing underneath the lake's surface.

Zabuza turned his body to look at the kids, eyes fixating on the only female standing. The mist was no problem for him. He had grown up in Kiri. The mist was nothing.

But this girl…

'She can see me through all this mist. She's going to be a nuisance.'

With the smallest twist of his ankle, Zabuza was rushing towards them. Like he predicted, the girl was the first to see him, her eyes widening. It wouldn't save her though, just seeing him. Not if she couldn't react.

"Ki--" She started in warning before Zabuza's fist connected with the underside of her jaw, the dog boy beside her turning in slow motion as her feet lifted off the ground. Not passing up his opportunity, Zabuza rammed his foot into her stomach and watched as she rocketed into a tree behind her before crumpling to the ground.

The dog boy looked shaken. "HINAT--" Was all he could manage to spit out before Zabuza landed a powerful blow to his face as well, both Kiba and Akamaru spinning to the ground as blood flew from Kiba's mouth.

The ground between Zabuza's feet cracked before splitting open a centimetre. Roots shot out of the ground, startling the sword master as the roots snarled around his legs, trapping him.

"Another…genjutsu…huh?" He choked out as the roots grew at an alarming rate, crawling now over his abs and continuing up over his chest. He leaked chakra from every pore in his body he could manage, the roots freezing before constricting against him viciously…momentarily, before relaxing their hold.

He turned and swung his sword, Kurenai's form materializing and jumping away before the blade could catch her. Zabuza's form disappeared into the mist before she could come at him again and she cursed, looking around blindly once more. She panted, wheezing the whole while.

She was in serious trouble. She couldn't move her left arm. The pain was close to overriding her brain, but her fingers weren't responding. Her wrist wasn't moving and her arm hung limply at her side.

She needed serious medical help if there was any hope left in salvaging the limb.

"Kiba, are you and Hinata alright?" Shino asked as he stepped towards their direction, slightly unsure where they were. He didn't have Hinata's vision. Thankfully his bugs urged him in the right direction as they recognised the nearby chakra.

Kiba groaned in response but Hinata was silent. Shino glanced at Tazuna for a second, the bridge builder still safe and healthy, before the bug user jogged over to the fallen Hyuuga. He knelt down next to her and checked her over.

She was merely unconscious.

"This is going to end now."

"What makes you so sure?" Kurenai challenged, her words stronger than how she felt inside. In truth he had the advantage in this battle.

"I thought you would've known." Zabuza's voice mocked from the concealment of the mist. Kiba growled as he spat up blood, the liquid trickling down his chin as he struggled to his feet. Shino looked around from where he was knelt down next to Hinata's unconscious form.

"Know what?!" Kurenai grunted as she held her wounded arm, pain bristling from the mere touch.

"I'm a master at silent killing."

Something heavy thudded to the ground and dread pulled at Kurenai. The mist began to lift, revealing the battleground and she could see everything clearly now since the battle first began.

Her student's…wounded. Alive, but wounded.

Zabuza, standing tall with his weapon in one hand.

Tazuna's body dead at his feet.

He had been unprotected. For one split second. And that was all it had took.

Zabuza picked up the separated head of the bridge builder in his free hand, holding the man by the hair. He sneered as he looked over at her stunned expression.

"Well I got what I came for." He replied. "You lose."

Mist swirled around him before disappearing, leaving team 8 alone in a clearing with Tazuna's body.

~*~

Kiba looked anywhere but the woman in front of him as she wailed into her hands. He couldn't stand the sound. Her shoulders shook and her face was hidden in her hands. At his side Hinata looked at the ground as silent tears fell down her cheeks as well, sympathy for the woman in front of her.

Tazuna's daughter.

They had stopped to visit her after swiftly treating to their wounds like amateurs. They would have to head right to the Konoha hospital for Kurenai's arm.

"Just go away…" The woman managed to say, her words broken and watery. They were raw with grief and bitterness. A loss of hope.

"We jus--"

"JUST GO AWAY!" She yelled before slamming the door, the force making all four ninjas grimace as the door rattled in it's hinges. The sound of her crying was still distinguishable despite the piece of wood separating them.

A heavy silence fell upon team 8 as they stood there silently, save for Hinata who sniffled, wiping at her tears with her sleeve.

"We should get going." Kurenai finally spoke up, her voice soft and offering comfort. It did little to lift the heavy weight that settled in their chests. "We have awhile before we reach Konoha."

The three Genins nodded their consent before they all turned and began walking away from the house. Their footsteps were heavy, seeming to echo through the air with each step they took.

A little boy dressed in overalls and a hat, no older than eight, passed by them, oblivious to their presence. He opened the door of the crying woman they had just seen and froze, startled. The door closed behind him, but his words reached their ears.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying? What happened?"

They walked away quickly before they could witness him break out into wails of his own.

~*~

"Kyoko…Roku…can I see you two for a moment?" Iruka called out as he watched the two mentioned people spar against each other. The class was outside doing their daily sparring matches and Kyoko and Roku had been fighting with much more intensity then any of the other kids in the class.

They always got like that, but only when they were fighting each other.

They were the only match still going even though class was ending.

The two preteens paused right where they were, Kyoko blocking the copper haired boy's kick with her forearm. Three weeks ago and the opposing male would've been weary about fighting her, seeing how that was when she was released from the hospital.

She was perfectly fine now.

"Uh…ok." Kyoko responded, the two seeming a little dazed at having their fight broken. They seemed to finally come around when they noticed the kids trickling back into the Academy building.

"Oops, we did it again." Roku mumbled under his breath as he ran a hand through his unruly locks. Kyoko only smiled sheepishly as they followed the tan Chuunin into the building. They followed him down the hall, eyeing the other kids from the class as they returned to the classroom while Iruka lead them to another room.

It was just an empty, spare classroom. When the door closed, Iruka turned to face them, his face serious. The Namikaze half wondered if they were in trouble. They hadn't done anything that she could think of…besides talking in class.

And that was never dealt with like this.

"I've been watching you two since you returned to the Academy." Iruka started.

"I technically never left." Kyoko reminded a little moodily, Roku elbowing her lightly.

"Yes…well, ever since the start of the new term then." He continued, clearing his throat to fix his mistake. "And you're skills are better then the others in class. Not to mention that you already know all the material there is to learn. I've been watching you two fight and, although it is a little early, I think you're ready." He finished, his mouth breaking out into a smile.

He had, of course, checked with other teachers who had watched them as well. They had all agreed with his decision. Even though the two had only been average students the first time around, they had everything they needed memorized the second time, putting them very high in the class now.

Roku blinked before his face grew into an excited grin. Kyoko seemed a little confused.

"Ready? For what?" She questioned, looking between Iruka and Roku.

"To take the graduation test." Roku clarified instead, eyes dancing. Kyoko gasped before she grinned as well. Finally! She could get out of the Academy!

"Wait, are we going to have to make a bunshin again?" She asked, raising a brow. She honestly hadn't even attempted one since her failed attempt at graduating.

Iruka shook his head

"No, since you two will be trying to graduate earlier then the others, you're requirements will be a little different. You will have to do a test that covers all that you have learned from the Academy, not just ninjutsu." He explained simply. "If we're letting you out early, we have to make sure you're ready."

"So what will we have to do?" Kyoko asked as she sat on top of one of the nearby desks, Roku leaning against one as the two watched Iruka intently. This was their future he was talking about here.

Iruka opened his mouth for a second before pausing and closing it. He did that a couple more times, making Roku frown and Kyoko cross her arms over her chest.

"Um…I guess the best way to describe it would be an obstacle course. We're trying something different so we're going to test it on you two." Iruka said sheepishly, smiling as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Obstacle course?" The two echoed back in confusion. Roku thought the prospect seemed a little…kiddish, while Kyoko's brow furrowed. These were ninjas they were talking about. It was probably going to be some sort of twisted, demented form of an obstacle course that was going to make her wish she had killed herself.

"When will this 'obstacle' course," Roku started, making quotation marks with his fingers. "take place?"

"How does tomorrow afternoon sound?"

"Don't you have class?" Kyoko pointed out.

"I'll just get one of the other teachers to fill in for me. If no one can, I'll let them have a study period." Iruka shrugged nonchalantly.

With that taken care of, the three returned to the classroom, Kyoko biting her bottom lip in anticipation for what would most likely be a deadly ninja obstacle course, while Roku contemplated the ease of this childish test.

~*~

"So," Iruka began brightly the next day. "How'd you like the obstacle course?"

Roku simply gawked at him, the male looking pale and horror stricken. He was trembling slightly as he looked around, afraid something was going to jump out at him, his hair wildly messed up and his clothes dishevelled.

"Please don't make me do it again." Roku whispered suddenly as he grabbed Kyoko by the shoulders and put her in front of him like a shield. The blond just looked around, her clothes and hair in much the same state as Roku's, but her mentality seemed to still be in tact.

"I thought it would be worse." She admitted with a shrug, Roku only gawking at her instead.

"Well you've both passed. Congratulations." Iruka replied with a smile as he handed them both a forehead protector. Kyoko grinned as she tied it onto her head. She turned to say something to Roku before grinning mischievously at his still trembling state.

That test really did a number on him. It was horrible for her too but so much worse for him. Much worse…

He finished tying the forehead protector around his bicep--

"BOO!"

"GGGGAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Roku jumped three feet in the air, losing his footing as he tried to whirl around and landing in a heap on the ground. Kyoko was laughing over him, hands over her mouth to muffle the sound, but it was in vain.

Roku's cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She apologized, chuckling as Roku stood up briskly, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at her. A sight that was a rare oddity on the boy.

Acting every ounce the peacemaker, Iruka stepped between them. "Now now. If we come back into the Academy building, you can meet the other member of you three man cell and then you're Jounin instructor."

"We're on a team together?" The two asked in unison, Roku momentarily forgetting about his discomfort.

"Yeah. More so for the third members sake. His name is Samada Itsuya. He's a 10-year-old prodigy but he had dependency issues. He has trouble working alone." Iruka started to explain as he slowly began leading them away from the obstacle course, mentally making a note to refrain from suggesting the obstacle course to other teachers again. "So we figured it be best to put him in a three man cell."

Kyoko nodded. It made sense.

Now, who was their instructor?

~*~

Doing missions drunk…

Walking around town naked…

Threatening civilians…

Being careless with weapons…

Being careless with weapons towards civilians…

These were all the charges that lead to her being required to do community service. Mind you, most of the charges happened because she was drunk. The only one she could find that didn't depend on that factor was threatening civilians, and even then she was joking half the time.

Well, unless they pissed her off and truly deserved it. Then she hoped they got what was coming towards them.

But this…this was too much!

"Babysitting a bunch of snot nosed, whiny, just out of the Academy, no good brats!" She hissed under her breath as she seethed inside of the classroom she currently occupied.

That stupid old Sandaime!

How could he do this to her?! She was not the type of woman to look after kids!

He called her into his office and showed her the different charges pressed against her amazing self and then claimed she had two solutions. One, she could offer to be a Jounin instructor for a year and get rid of the chargers that way, or two….

Well let's just say two was unpleasant and it was obvious which one she had chosen.

She turned and kicked the wall next to her, oddly relishing in the pain that throbbed in her toes from the action. She wanted to cause the stupid Hokage so much pain for this but she couldn't. Oh how she wished she could.

She would just make her students pay! Oh, her poor unsuspecting students.

"I'll make my students wish they were dead." She decided, a maniac smile spreading across Mitarashi Anko's face.

~*~
Meetings by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: So dear readers, did I make you wait? Well if I did, I apologize. Anyways, I actually had a lot of trouble thinking of how I wanted to portray Itsuya, and add that to the fact that I wanted about three things to be going on in this chapter…I had some trouble writing this sucker.

I tried to get it out as fast as I could though. Enjoy!
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 25: Meetings

~*~

The Genins for team 7 starred up at the trees before them. Tree climbing? Honestly? Naruto's face scrunched up as he assessed the tree, not quite sure what to make of the exercise while Sasuke only frowned, shaking his head.

What a waste of time.

"This is stupid." Sasuke muttered, looking over to where Kakashi sat in the grass, leaning against a tree trunk with his orange book opened in front of his face. The silver haired Jounin just set them in front of a bunch of trees, told them to climb without using their hands, and then sat down.

"No it isn't Sasuke." Kakashi replied, sighing. "Just do as I said."

"What do you want us to do? Use our teeth?" Naruto complained.

Kakashi waited to hear Sakura's voice of complaint as well but it never came. The pinkette was starring up at the tree, her brow furrowed and her teeth digging into her bottom lip.

She needed to figure out how to do this. She didn't want to hold the team back. Not like with the Iwa Nins. She would do any exercise Kakashi gave her…no matter how stupid it seemed. He was a Jounin, surely there was a reason behind why he made them do these things.

'Think. How do you climb a tree without using your hands? How?' She thought to herself, tapping her bottom foot against the ground in thought. She stood like that, thinking for several minutes while the males grew restless around her, taking up the activity to actually torment Kakashi until he told them how to do the exercise.

Her eyes lit up in realization. "Chakra!"

"Hmm?" Kakashi inquired as he effectively pushed Naruto away, Kakashi looking up at his female student lazily. She turned to him, gaining the attention of the other two as well.

"It has to do with chakra doesn't it? Or else it would be impossible." She stated, placing her hands on her hips. She knew she was right. She had to be right. How else would you climb a tree without using your hands?

"You figured it out. You gather chakra at your feet and climb the tree that way." Kakashi smiled, eye crinkling up. Then he turned a page in his book, attention diverting back to it. "Now get to it."

Sakura scowled at him, Sasuke kicking Kakashi's shin absently before he and Naruto joined the Haruno at the trees once more.

~*~

Anko eyed the kids in front of her, scrutinizing them before a smirk spread across her features, hands falling to her hips. "So you're the brats that I got assigned to." She said, a dark chuckle creeping into her voice.

She had the perfect torture for them. She knew what would set them straight and break them out of any stupid softness the Academy had given them. They would not be coddled. The ninja world was tough and they needed to know!

Kyoko and Roku thought she looked slightly crazy…in a scary way. Heaven only knew what Itsuya thought of her. But it was a vibe that just seemed to radiate off of her. She was dressed in a tan overcoat, a body fitted chain link outfit with a dark orange skirt, shin guards over her legs. She was chuckling in a way that said 'I will kill you slowly and enjoy it'.

'She's probably going to torture me one day and laugh.' Kyoko thought nervously.

"Well that should be obvious. I mean, we are the ones in the room. If we aren't the ones assigned to you then you must be stupid or something because that means that you were waiting in the wrong room." Itsuya pointed out, folding his arms over his chest. For a 10-year-old, he looked like he was 8. His innocent, sweet face deceived all as he scowled at the purple haired Jounin.

"Honestly, what a dumb thing to say." Itsuya sighed, rolling his big emerald eyes before looking out the window as if he was bored.

Deathly silence fell over the room.

Roku looked between Jounin and 10-year-old in awe and frightened disbelief, unsure of whom he should be focused on.

Anko's eyes glinted maliciously while the corner of her mouth twitched.

Her hand reached out and fisted in his curly black hair, yanking the mocha child forward, twirling him around so his back was to her and lifting him up so he had to stand on his tip toes to keep balance.

"Well. It seems I have a smart-aleck." She grinned, pulling him close so his back was against her stomach. Her smile fell off her face, killer intent filtering from her body as she lent down and whispered in his ear, his eyes going huge as he paled.

"I. Hate. Smart-alecks."

A shudder passed through all the Genins in the room as her killer intent ran down their spines, Kyoko shrinking back.

"Uh, sensei…" Kyoko interrupted quietly, catching the Jounin's attention before she could do any harm to the child. "We don't know your name." She pointed out, Anko thrusting Itsuya away from her. He fumbled for balance momentarily before regaining himself and positioning himself closer to where Kyoko and Roku stood.

Probably thinking that if they were in a big group she wouldn't come after him again. Oh if only that were true.

'I think Iruka's a little crazy. Dependency issue my ass. He almost got himself killed…all on his own.' Roku thought as he glanced at Itsuya before glancing back at their instructor. She wasn't helping his still frayed nerves from the graduation obstacle course.

If she came at him there was no guarantee he wouldn't book it.

"Before I say anything, let me make one thing clear." She started, her tone switching to dangerously sweet as she smiled, eyes closing as she leaned forward.

It was almost as if she had not just threatened a child moments ago.

"I do not want to be here. I am forced to be here. So if you do anything to anger me, I have no problem punishing you how I see fit… It won't be pretty. You are all Genins which means you are all adults in the ninja world. You will deal with whatever I give you…got it?"

Itsuya, having regained himself, made to say something but Roku cut him off, yanking on the scruff of the younger boys shirt to stop his flow of words.

"We got it."

"Good!" Anko nodded, straightening up before opening her eyes, smile disappearing as she folded her arms across her chest. It had felt good to scare the little tiny brat. Her frustration was draining.

"I'm Mitarashi Anko. Introduce yourselves because I didn't bother to look at the sheet the stupid Sandaime gave me." She instructed, sighing and running a hand through her bangs.

"Yoshida Roku."

"Samada Itsuya."

"Namikaze Kyoko."

Anko blinked, eyes fixing on Kyoko before she waggled her index finger, indicating for Kyoko to come forward. Kyoko hesitated in doing so, but stepped forward, flinching as Anko grabbed her chin.

She began turning her face in multiple directions, grey eyes bright with curiosity and amusement.

"So this is Minato's kid." She mused out loud, pulling Kyoko's head suddenly to the right. "Hmm, you look a hell of a lot like him. That should be a bonus for you. You're father was hot." Anko said, grinning cheekily.

"Uh…can we not talk about that?" Kyoko mumbled, her face heating up, making her cheeks burn.

"Ugh fine." Anko huffed, spinning Kyoko back towards the others. Her grey eyes narrowed, her face turning into a scowl as she saw Itsuya. "And you have annoyed me so you've added another day to your trial." She added, jerking her head towards him.

"Trial? Don't you think that's a little unfair? You hardly know me. You can't just go a--" Itsuya started before Roku clamped a hand over his mouth, earning angry muffled words from the short boy.

"I think he means to say, 'what trial'?" Roku asked, oressing his other hand down roughly on Itsuya's head, a not so gentle warning to shut up.

"You have to prove that you're worthy to serve under me." Anko started, the evil gleam returning to her eyes once again. "So starting tomorrow, you're all going to have a little trial at one of my favourite training grounds. The only advice I can give you is to eat a big meal before you come and only bring your weapons and the clothes on your backs."

"What happens if we fail?"

"Then I ship your sorry asses back here for more training." She said simply, shrugging while Kyoko and Roku hung their heads. Not again. They couldn't take more of this place. They would go insane!

"And if we pass?"

A truly sadistic look crept onto her features then.

"Well that's when the fun starts."

~*~

"You're being weird again." Zabuza pointed out absently as he walked through the streets of the town, the sword on his back dripping drops of blood as he walked. Two heads were clutched in his hands, his hands fisted in their hair. At his side a small boy dressed in blue, white, and grey trudged next to him.

"I'm just…displeased. I have not been able to help you much recently." The small boy walking next to him remarked, brown eyes glancing at the towering frame next to him before falling to the ground he walked on.

"When you were fighting those Konoha shinobi a couple weeks ago--"

"That was because I didn't need your help Haku." Zabuza stated, a small bit of irritation starting to crawl into his voice. He did not need a sentimental tool.

"If I was in any real danger, then that's when you step in. But I had it under control. Like I do with most of these pathetic missions Gatou gives us. So stop your stupid 'displeased' nonsense and snap out of it." He barked, scowling now.

Haku nodded obediently. "Yes Zabuza-sama."

Silence fell over them as they walked, Haku still silently stewing in his thoughts while Zabuza now scowled at the air in front of him.

"Why the hell am I putting up with Gatou and all these missions?" He growled out of the blue as they left the town boundaries, heading towards Gatou's place. "That filthy rich bastard! I should just kill him and be done with all of his lies, the grease bag, always promising me more money and delaying the time he has to give it to me."

"I could always kill him while he sleeps." Haku offered, holding a senbon up in his pale hands. Zabuza pondered the idea seriously for a minute or two. Haku might just have enough skill to pull something like that off and with that bastard dead, he would be free to get his money.

But then he would have to scrounge around for work again.

"No. Leave him for now Haku. I'll kill him when the time comes." He commanded. Haku's shoulders slumped slightly before he stowed the senbon away. Gatou's place soon loomed over them and they walked inside, Zabuza glaring with oure hatred at the bodyguards who stirred as he drew close.

Since Zabuza brought Gatou the head of that damn bridge builder, Wave seemed to have lost their hope and will to fight against Gatou. The man didn't hesitate to take advantage and sweep into the country, taking control of practically everything he could get his hands on. He ran the stores and increased the taxes to an almost unbearable amount, buying people out of stores and homes. He was the unofficial ruler of Wave…in only a couple of weeks.

All because they had lost the hope and will to fight back.

He was extending his power and wealth and was starting to become a force all on his own.

Many people steered clear of Haku and Zabuza as they walked through the halls, walking towards his room. They opened the door and paused for a second, taking in the scene.

"--I can count on you." A black haired man was finishing as he handed a rather large bag to Gatou, the stout little man having a body guard on either side of him. He accepted the bag, sunglasses glinting as he drew it close to his chest and opened it. His small eyes lit up as he saw the mounds of money in the bag.

"I believe I can assist you." Gatou nodded calmly, collecting himself as he closed the bag once again, eyeing the man in front of him. A smirk lit the man's face, stretching the corner's of his mouth.

"I'm glad. The plan is already in motion." Was all the man was able to say before one of Gatou's guards noticed Zabuza and Haku standing in the doorway, Zabuza frowning as he watched the exhange going on and trying to puzzle together what he had just missed. Obviously something large.

Gatou didn't give his assistance to just anyone.

Something about this guy was off. He had a weird air about him.

The body guard nudged Gatou and gestured to Zabuza, Gatou frowning while the man, whose back had been presented to Zabuza this whole time, turned around to regard this newcomer.

Zabuza inwardly flinched. His hands tightened their hold on the severed heads in his grasp.

The eyes of a pure madman were starring at him, regarding him with interest. It made his skin crawl for a mere fraction of a moment. They were set in a cruel, pale face that seemed to be leering down at the world.

At his side, Zabuza could feel Haku tensing. This man was dangerous. Anyone with an ounce of shinobi training could feel that. But Gatou and his civilian thug men that he surrounded himself with had no clue at all.

"Back already are you?" Gatou grunted, puffing out his chest. Showing his authority. That brought Zabuza back around and made the missing Nin relax, even under the strangers watchful eyes.

Swinging his arms back, he hurled the two decapitated heads at Gatou, the guards tensing and making to move as Gatou flinched, the heads landing centimeters short of hitting his feet. Dead eyes and gaping mouths starred up at him, the heads of people who had whispered about rebelling against Gatou and fighting against him.

"I'm getting sick of not being paid Gatou." Zabuza growled from across the room. No matter how much authority Gatou seemed to posses, he had no hold over him. He hadn't made Zabuza hesitate even a second like this stranger had. He was just a pompous civilian with cash to throw around.

The only thing keeping him there was the money.

The wealthy man's face screwed up and a vein in his throat bulged. He opened his mouth to yell when the man with the black hair cut him off, speaking before him.

"You would be Momochi Zabuza yes? The Demon of the Mist?" He asked. Now that the man's voice was directed at him, Zabuza felt unease claw at him. He didn't like this man.

"Yes." He replied gruffly, hiding his inward state well. The man made an interested sound in his throat as he looked Zabuza over, like he was some sort of experiment and the man was a mad professor.

"If you wouldn't mind, we have some business to attend to with Gatou." Haku spoke up suddenly, stepping forward in front of Zabuza. His voice was as chilly as the ice mirrors he could produce.

"You insolent brat! He was here first! I will get around to you once we are finished! You are lucky that I even keep you're ass around!" Gatou yelled furiously, the killer glare Haku sent him only making his voice falter for a second, the bodyguards around him tensing and tightening their guard. From the money that the man had given him, it was no wonder that he was the priority client. Add that to the fact that Zabuza and Haku were demanding money from him.

He then turned to the man. "I'm sorry about this Orochimaru-sama."

Orochimaru paid him no attention at all. His yellow eyes lit up before he reached into his robe. "How much are you making with Gatou?" He asked Zabuza, his eyes flickering between both Zabuza and Haku.

Despite knowing Zabuza would punish him later for speaking before him, Haku answered first. He couldn't help himself. Something about this guy was intimidating and set him on a dangerous edge. "Nothing. He hasn't paid us for weeks."

A bag was withdrawn from the robes of the snake Sannin, though it was considerably smaller than the one he had handed over to Gatou. He threw it towards them and with excellent reflexes that made their ninja status obvious, Zabuza snatched it without even looking at it.

From just the weight of the bag he could tell that there was money in it.

Payment. Their first hint of money in weeks! And it was quite a bit, not as much as Gatou had promised, but a hefty amount.

"How about I make an investment." He started, his eyes glinting with an almost evil light, ignoring the outraged Gatou in the background. Gatou pounded a fist on the armrest of the chair he was sitting on, all three ninjas snapping their gaze back to him.

He recoiled for an instant before blundering forward. "These two are working for me! You can't just take them out from under me like that! I--" He would've continued to rant until his face turned from red to purple, but Orochimaru started walking towards him, a glare settling into his face and chilling the very air in the room.

"This agreement that we have goes both ways. You'll get what you want, and I'll get what I want. But…" He said venomously, the guards for once frozen in place as Orochimaru slammed a hand an inch away from Gatou's face. A snake the size of his arm slithered from his sleeve and twisted around Gatou's shoulders leisurely.

Gatou's face paled, eyes dilating as he kept his eyes locked with Orochimaru's slitted yellow ones. It dawned on him for the first time, that he was not the one in control of their deal.

He was not the one with the power.

"Disagree with me at all and I will kill you."

~*~

"How are you doing that?" Naruto demanded, pointing his finger at Sakura from the bottom of the tree where he had fallen, the female significantly further up on the tree then he was. Riled up, Naruto reverted to his former self from the Academy days and Sakura rolled her eyes at his behaviour.

She was surprisingly the best one of the three of them, Sasuke a few inches below her and hating that fact with every fibre in his being.

"I already told you, not too much chakra and not too little. Clear your mind and aim for the perfect amount." She called down to him as she came to a branch, stopping to take a break and watch the two males for a while.

Naruto growled before looking at his tree in front of him. It was blank for quite awhile until a crack in the bark signified what happened when you used too much chakra. Then after awhile it dawned on all of them to use kunais to mark their progress.

A helpful hint Kakashi should've told them but decided to blatantly ignore. But hey they had to learn this stuff you know.

Naruto got to his feet, grumbling to himself before following her advice. He closed his eyes, inhaling slowly as he tried to focus on just the right amount of chakra.

'Focus. Not too much or too little. In between. Ju--'

His thoughts were lost to him as a room suddenly flickered to life around him, water around his ankles and dank winding hallways on either side of him.

He flinched and they were gone, his eyes flying open and the trunk of the tree starring at him. Sakura sat in her branch, watching as Sasuke began gaining on her location, on his tree. She got to her feet the moment Sasuke lost his balance and fell, his kunai digging into the bark, marking his height, before he flipped and landed only a few inches away from the blond.

'The hell?' Naruto thought as he looked over at Kakashi, still immersed in his book. That had never happened when he had tried to focus on chakra before. He looked over at Sasuke but the Uchiha had already attained the amount of chakra he needed, and wasted no time in going back up the tree.

He would be damned if he would let Sakura beat him at something.

Hesitantly, Naruto closed his eyes once more. He inhaled slowly and began focusing, only for the dank halls to appear once more. They grew more solid as Naruto scowled, the scene taking more form as he turned in the ankle deep water and trudged through a faintly remembered path.

He would get angry at the thing and then leave. It was obviously the Kyuubi's fault that he was interrupting him gathering chakra so he would yell at him to knock it off.

The hall suddenly opened into a wide room and Naruto felt his primitive part of his brain that thrived on staying alive tell him to turn around but he took a breath and stormed into the room, Kyuubi's bars standing tall in his frame of mind.

Red eyes opened at the sloshing of the water, glaring at the sight of the blond child.

"What the hell are you doing here again? Are you dead you pathetic worm?" The Kyuubi asked hatefully, sneering at him. He had already helped him once, he wasn't about to go do it again.

It was a one time exception.

Naruto scowled up at him, planting his feet firmly on the ground. "I'm here to tell you to knock it off!" He accused, voice still shy of booming through the place like Kyuubi's could. Yet despite that flaw, his words made the fox blink.

"Knock it off?" He repeated before his lips pulled back, revealing his teeth. "Knock off what? Saving your life you ungrateful little brat? You should be worshipping me for what I did for you!" He roared, the bars rattling as Naruto's hair ruffled.

Confusion showed on Naruto's face. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I used my chakra to save your life and heal your wounds when you got yourself blown to bits and fell off a cliff! It's because of my that you always heal so damn fast and don't die like a fucking asshole!"

Naruto's eyes rounded slowly in silent realization.

No normal person should heal from severe injuries that quickly. He was almost out of the hospital before Sasuke was.

Inwardly shaking himself, Naruto regained his scowl, jutting his chin out at the growling demon.

"I meant stop distracting me while I gather my chakra. Every time I do this place appears. That means it has to have something to do with you so I'm telling you to stop it." Naruto clarified.

Kyuubi barked out a hateful laugh, stopping only to scrutunize Naruto coldly, teeth showing in a sharp sneer.

"And why would I ever want to see you? I would rather you die if I could have it that way."

"Why the hell would I know why you do stuff?!" Naruto exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air in frustration. "You stupid fox." He muttered to himself.

Kyuubi's ears still caught the insult.

He snarled and rammed another paw against the bars of the cage. "Insolent…! I would crush your bones in my jaw and rip your flesh off with my teeth! But I would clone myself first so that when I killed you, I could witness every angle of it!" He roared.

Naruto took a single step back and everything flickered.

He exhaled quickly, eyes opening and wincing as the sunlight bombarded his eyesight. He blinked a few times, looking up at the trees in front of him. Sakura must've decided that she didn't want to be in her tree anymore and was lounging around casually at the base of her tree though the mark of her kunai was incredibly high.

Sasuke was still maddeningly below her mark, sweat beginning to roll down his face and the trunk of his tree looking like someone had hacked away at it.

"Oh yeah." Naruto mumbled to himself. He was in the middle of training. And he was now very far behind because he spent his time talking to that damn fox!

Grumbling, and not caring whether the scenery around him changed or not, Naruto began gathering chakra to his feet. Yet something Kyuubi had said was nagging at him.

'But I would clone myself first so that when I killed you, I could witness every angle of it!'

Could something like that really be achieved with Bunshins? For training purposes, not something as gruesome as Kyuubi had wanted. But if that was possible…how different could training be? What would it be like?

Curious, Naruto used the chakra he had gathered to disperse into two shadow clones, the smoke from the production making Kakashi look up from his book. All three Naruto's gathered chakra and in unison, shot off towards different trees.

~*~

Sasuke was pissed.

Sakura had been better then him in controlling her chakra and walking up the tree. She was always just ahead of him until she decided to stop because she had the gist of it down and didn't see the need of continuing it anymore.

That wasn't good enough for Sasuke. He wanted to get to the top of the tree. He needed to prove that he was better than her. He was the sole survivor of the Uchiha clan and he was not going to let some girl with pink hair beat him.

He was three fourths of the way up the tree when he heard the sound of bark breaking just an inch below him, someone swearing before a figure went flipping back to Earth. Pausing, Sasuke looked to his side and he glared at the sight he was greeted with.

Naruto had made clones so there were three of him in total, and they were all climbing a tree. That wasn't what was unsettling. What was unsettling was the fact that one of them was only an inch away from being at the same height as him.

And Sasuke had been at this longer then him!

Naruto had taken some weird six minute break where he just stood in the grass. Now he was using clones and scaling up the trees, swearing like it was no one's business.

Sasuke's blood boiled.

He would be better than the Dobe. He had to be.

Sasuke continued up the tree when the echoing sounds of footsteps grated on his ears and Sasuke decided to cheat. When the blond came into view, a shurinken whizzed into the tree, making Naruto yelp and screech to a halt.

"Hey! What the hell Teme!" He hollered as he glared at Sasuke. He was the real Naruto so if the hit him, he wouldn't just poof away.

Two more shurinkens embedded into the wood, Naruto forced to dance around to the other side of the trunk to avoid them.

"Why you…" Naruto growled before he plucked the shurinkens out of the tree and hurled them right back, Sasuke running up the tree as the weapons flew at his heels. Before long a full fledged fight was involved as the two boys threw weapons at each other through the trees, the weapons either egging them upwards or forcing them down, either way it was to avoid getting hit.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura called as she ran over to the silver haired Jounin, tugging on his sleeve. "They're fighting. Actually fighting!" She pointed out in concern.

Kakashi looked up, watching them for a second. Several kunais and shurinkens were embedded in the trees and Naruto's clones had been dispelled, most likely due to stray weapons or misfire.

What caught Kakashi's eyes were the boy's retreating forms in the highest branches of the trees as Naruto leapt towards Sasuke in a tackle, Sasuke grunting and kicking him aside before bounding to a different branch, Naruto skidding to a stop on a tree trunk before hurling some kunais at him.

They were both higher than Sakura's mark…any higher and they would be at the very tip at the tree. They had motivated each other without knowing it.

"Good." He nodded, ignoring Sakura's baffled look before going back to his book.

~*~
Survival by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: Sorry, I've been on a final fantasy craze lately. I've been playing 13 and then when I couldn't because someone was on that TV I would play 7 or 10 up on a different TV. Man I love those games!

Oh, and I know Sakura obviously hasn't trained with Tsunade yet, so she hasn't gained her super strength, but even before that Sakura was kind of freakishly strong. You may not agree with me, but I think she had the potential…I mean look at all the times she hit Naruto.

Anyways, here you go!
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 26: Survival

~*~

All Kyoko could do was stare as Naruto wolfed down the humongous breakfast she had prepared. She had followed Anko's advice and made a huge meal, but it only took maybe a quarter of it to fill her up to the point where she felt like bursting. The table had still been littered with food.

Then Naruto stumbled into the room.

She wrinkled her nose as he set down his bowl, wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. He was slowly bringing his clothes over from his apartment. Kyoko could tell because when she went past the room he occupied, there was a steadily growing pile of cloth. There were also pictures, posters, and other random trinkets he was slowly bringing over.

She had half heartedly asked one night if he was moving in, not expecting the enthusiastic confirmation he had given her.

He blinked, looking at her face.

"What?"

"Nothing." She replied, looking down at Fuji who was situated at Naruto's feet, waiting for the male to send some food his way. Fuji was really warming up to having Naruto around. The whole time he was home, Fuji hardly left his side.

She placed her chin in her hand, frowning as her thoughts began to deepen. This house was technically her fathers, but she had inherited it from him…or rather she would when she was of age. Seventeen or eighteen or so. But if Naruto and her were siblings, so they had the same parents, wouldn't that mean this technically was his house too?

She glanced back up at him as she saw him sneak food to Fuji, his hand suddenly cutting into her view of the dog.

"Naruto stop feeding him human food." She sighed, Naruto grinning sheepishly at being caught. Kyoko stood up from the table, collecting empty dishes as she went. "I have some training with Anko-sensei today, but I'm not sure when I'm going to be back so don't forget to feed Fuji." She started as she deposited the dishes in the sink, intending to put them in the dishwasher when she got back from training.

"Anko-sensei?"

"Mmm. I graduated from the Academy yesterday so she's my Jounin instructor." She explained, turning around to face him. Naruto blinked rapidly before his eyes traveled to her forehead, something metallic glinting from it's place there.

"AHH!" He cried out in shock, pointing a finger at her. He hadn't noticed at all.

She rolled her eyes.

~*~

Kyoko felt all the color drain from her face as she stared at the chain link fence in front of her. Humongous trees and vines filled her vision, looking as if they were going to touch the sky, the rustling of animals flitting to her ears. Any creatures that might inhabit the place were obstructed from her view by the thick trees.

A forbidden sign was plastered against the fence, the words written in big bold letters to grab everyone's attention.

She could easily see why it was there.

"I…uh…" She stammered. Anko grinned widely from where she stood perched on top of the fence. Ah training ground 44, the forest of death, the perfect place to bring brand new Genin.

"Why would you bring us here? Normal ninjas don't even train here! It's infested with poisonous bugs and huge snakes! You're trying to kill us aren't you?" Itsuya demanded loudly while Roku could only stare with his jaw dropped open.

Anko sighed theatrically, dropping down onto her haunches and resting her cheek in one hand. "Unfortunately I'm not allowed to kill any of you." Anko pointed out. "It's a real shame." She mumbled quietly to herself before brightening up. "But you are right about the snakes and the bugs. Though they're much bigger then I'm sure you're picturing."

"But…I…how…" Roku started before shaking his head, getting his thoughts together. "What kind of training could possibly require us to have to be in there?!"

Dark shadows fell over Anko's face as her grin broadened. She looked purely demonic.

"Survival training."

She leapt down, landing in front of them with a swish of her trench coat. She stood up proudly, hands placed on her hips. "To prove yourselves worthy, you're going to survive in this forest for four days…oh wait make that five." She amended as she reached a hand out and grabbed a fist full of Itsuya's hair…lightly. "This one pissed me off yesterday so you have an extra day added."

"That is totally--" Itsuya started.

"I can make it a week." She threatened coldly, enjoying watching his mouth snap shut, eyes burning with words he so desperately wanted to say.

"Um…Anko-sensei?" Kyoko interrupted. "What if we die? Like, from the bugs and the snakes and stuff?"

Anko merely shrugged, still holding onto Itsuya's hair. "Then you die."

"You just said you weren't allowed to kill us!" The two males of the team cried out together.

"Well I wouldn't be killing you in that situation now would I?" The purple haired kunoichi clarified before sighing upon their many complaints and objections that assaulted her ears. She held up her free hand to silence them. "Alright, alright! I'm going to be monitoring you guys with a summon…you happy?!"

"No…" Kyoko muttered to herself.

With that, their torture started.

~*~

Sniffles interrupted the afternoon air, disturbing the silence that had befallen the Hyuuga compound. Hyuuga Neji paused where he was, the back of his foot lifted to take another step as he turned his head to survey the area.

He almost didn't see anything and would've kept going if he couldn't hear the sniffling. Something was definitely there. He was seconds away from activating his Byakugan when he caught sight of a form huddled in the shadows of the gates of the compound.

He tensed until he saw the short navy blue hair. He looked around the area once more before the corner of his lip turned down. What the hell was she doing out here? He stepped down into the yard and crossed over to his distressed cousin, making his face impassive as he got closer. He needed to look after her, the main house member, like any branch member would do.

He grit his teeth behind closed lips at that thought.

"Hinata-sama, you should get up off the ground." He supplied calmly, stopping in front of her. Surprised, her head snapped up and smacked into the gates behind her. Her hands instantly went to the back of her head, eyes tearing up with fresh tears, these of pain as she looked at who had talked to her.

"N-Neji-niisan…" She whispered softly from her place on the ground. Her cheeks tinged pink in embarrassment at being caught crying.

"You should get off the ground." He repeated, watching as she continued to rub her head. She blinked once before nodding, biting her bottom lip as she stood up. Seeing her complying to his instructions, he nodded before turning around and going back to the house.

She watched his retreating form before staring at the ground, her right hand cradling her injured left hand gingerly. She had been out training with Kiba and Shino earlier this morning, Kurenai supervising every now and then. Mostly Kurenai went to the hospital to try and get the nerves in her arms working again with some jutsu Hinata didn't understand.

It was working, little by little.

She was practicing against a training post while Kiba and Shino worked on their own jutsus when she smacked the training post the wrong way, spraining her wrist. Shino advised her to go home, but that in itself wasn't what had reduced her to tears.

All that time, while she starred at her now swollen hand, she could hear her father's voice berating her. Scolding her in that sharp, cold voice he always bore. When he found out that her team had failed their first C rank mission, he had scolded her in such a livid way she thought he was actually going to use his fists for once.

She had never seen him so upset.

She was a disgrace to the Hyuuga name. Truly pathetic. No Hyuuga had ever failed a C rank mission before. She wasn't fit to be called the heiress to the Hyuuga's. Not when she was so weak. If she didn't fix herself soon, the title of heiress was going to be passed down to Hanabi, her little sister.

As if she had spoken her thoughts out loud, her father walked by, Hanabi trailing after him. He didn't so much as even look in her direction, Hanabi glancing at Hinata curiously before continuing to follow Hiashi obediently.

Hinata bit her lip harder as her eyes began to sting again. She needed to be strong…but could she?

~*~

"I hate this place." Roku grumbled under his breath, shaking his head from side to side as he pushed a branch aside. In the distance, a bird shrieked, Roku snapping his gaze to the barely visible sky. He hunched his shoulders up slightly as he let the branch go, slowly continuing his way up the hill they were climbing. Various trees and bushes surrounded them, a multitude of bugs Roku couldn't even try to name clinging to the trunks of the trees.

"The first days not even over yet. We still have four more to go." Kyoko added, looking around cautiously at the scenery around them. She was tense, rustling in the trees coming from all directions, putting her on edge.

"Thanks to Itsuya." Roku pointed out, frowning. Itsuya had somehow taken to the front of the group, his face turning to glare at the taller male.

"That woman is a devil woman!" He barked. "No normal Jounin instructor makes Genins do this. She's obviously trying to kill us."

Roku, grudgingly, nodded his head in agreement. And he didn't like having to agree with Itsuya.

"I don't know. I mean, she seems extreme but I think it's kind of neat."

Two pairs of eyes stared at Kyoko in horror. Was she insane? She had to be. This was Anko they were talking about right? Crazy Jounin Anko. The lady who was most likely going to murder Itsuya someday.

Itsuya opened his mouth to most likely explode when a hiss echoed through the air. Slowly, everyone turned and looked behind them.

A snake the size of a small train was coiled around a tree, it's head turning to face them. It's scales gleamed in the sunlight filtering through the various treetops, eyes locking on them.

"Gah!" Roku yelped as it's peeled it's jaw open and lunged at them. It's head crashed into the soil and rocks at their feet, sending them flying.

Kyoko couldn't even cry out as she was sent careening down a shallow ravine, toppling literally head over heels through the dirt and bushes. The scenery around her was blurring together, the threat of the snake forgotten momentarily as she floundered about, trying to grasp at the side to stop.

Suddenly she stopped, her head jerking up so painfully her eyes stung with tears. She stayed lying against the hillside, her head arched back slightly as she tried to regain her breath, dirt, twigs, and scrapes marring her. When the thudding of her heart left her head, she could hear silence.

Had the snake eaten the others?

"Roku! Itsuya!" She called, making to stand only to have her head jerk back painfully. She could only move her head an inch, any further and pain bristled across the side of her scalp.

She called out again as her hands found their way up to her head, trying to decipher the problem.

Had all that tumbling hurt her spine somehow?

She blinked as her hands met brambles, locks of her hair hopelessly ensnared within them.

"Hey! Roku! Itsuya!" She yelled again as she gently tugged on her hair. "Ow. Ow ow ow ow." She whimpered to herself. This time, rustling to the side made her still, only for Roku's face to pop into view, Itsuya's following only two seconds after.

"You sound like a moron just yelling like that. You're a ninja now you know. If we ever go on missions and get separated, you can't just call for us." Itsuya remarked while Roku looked her over and caught the problem, silently moving over to work on her hair.

Kyoko scowled at the brunette. "It's not like I could get up and find you!" She snapped. "Besides, we're not on a mission. We're the only ones here…besides the plants and animals."

"Wait, what happened to the snake?" She asked as an afterthought. Roku pointedly looked over at Itsuya who folded his arms over his chest. He purposefully looked over her head, avoiding her gaze, and for the first time she found herself curious about the child apart of their team.

Even more so since he seemed deeply ashamed, tugging the thick gloves on his hands on tighter.

"Itsuya? What happened? Ow!" Roku had pulled her hair by accident in his attempt to untangle it, the copper haired boy quickly amending his mistake. Despite this, even Roku was looking at Itsuya from the corner of his eye.

"It's nothing."

He voice was so small, almost a whisper, Kyoko actually did a double take. But then he returned to his normal self, scowling at her.

"Can't you guys just be thankful that I got rid of the thing? Is it so hard to say 'Oh Itsuya, thank you' and leave it at that? Seriously, that's ungrateful."

Roku inwardly groaned. If Anko didn't kill this kid one day, he just might. And he usually wasn't a violent person by nature.

Roku sighed. "Kyoko, I'm going to have to cut it."

"Hey! Don't change the topic!"

"What?!" Kyoko yelped, hands flying up the her hair. But it was so long and pretty! She loved her hair!

"If we don't you'll be stuck here for the rest of the four days." He pointed out, already pulling a kunai from his weapons pouch. She whined inarticulate words before groaning and flinging her arms against the ground.

"Fine. Do it." She moaned.

After several minutes of Roku hacking away at her hair and Itsuya informing her why it was better for girls to have shorter hair while being a ninja anyways, she could finally move her head. She sat up, thankful that the bramble bush stayed put.

"Besides, it was only one pigtail."

She flinched, taking in the way Itsuya was silently snickering.

'He didn't!'

She reached her hands up to her hair, feeling her eyes widen as she found that her pigtails were insanely uneven, more weight on one side of her head.

'HE DID!'

She was lopsided!

~*~

Haku didn't like this.

Something about Orochimaru put his teeth on edge and made his hands itch towards his weapons. Just that look he bore in those yellow eyes was enough to make the 15-year-old tense up.

But, it didn't matter what he thought. He would follow Zabuza wherever he went, and Zabuza decided to follow Orochimaru.

So Haku would too. He was only a tool for Zabuza to use and he wouldn't be much use if he wasn't around to be used.

Just the fact that the Sannin had yet to tell them why he had taken an interest to them of all people, and that he had yet to tell them any of his plans, was also what was driving Haku mad. Because then they had to rely on trust, and everything about him screamed untrustworthy.

Zabuza was being unusually quite as he stood in front of the door of the building. Usually when he went on a mission, Zabuza was eager for blood and was quite energized. Especially since a mission like this required the death of quite a number of people.

It had to be because he was watching them.

Orochimaru was at the other side of the road, leaning against another building with his arms crossed leisurely across his chest. He wanted them to do a simple mission for them, just so that he could gauge their skills before he brought them to Oto.

He simply watching them, but the feeling of his eyes boring into them was madness. It had to be more troubling for Zabuza since he was the center of the madman's fixation.

"Haku, get into position." Zabuza finally spoke, reaching back to grab his sword. Haku nodded in quick reply before disappearing, entering through a small hole in the roof and hiding among the rafters of the building.

He would only move if Zabuza commanded him to, or if Zabuza was in trouble. Looking down, Haku counted the group of thugs all gathered in the building. There were more of them then he had originally thought, but they were still easy prey. Even more so since Zabuza was the hunter.

Within seconds the door burst open and the air was filled with cries of mutilation and death. Blood splattered everywhere as Zabuza moved without any unnecessary movements, his sword slicing through flesh and bones.

Movement other than Zabuza caught Haku's attention. Two horribly blood soaked, horrified men were scrambling towards the still open door behind Zabuza. Haku's eyes flickered between Zabuza and the men briefly.

Zabuza was too busy, he wouldn't notice them. But Orochimaru would. And he had told them to not let a single one live, and at the moment that was what was important. Without rousing any attention, Haku disappeared, reappearing outside on top of the roof as the two men came barrelling outside.

But Haku was already on them. Senbons punctured their jugulars, piercing the nerve that provided the near death state Haku required. A skill that Zabuza had taught him long ago, and Haku knew that not many his age could pull something like that off. Zabuza said so once before.

The hunter Nin impersonator jumped down next to the bodies. When Zabuza came back outside, Haku would let him finish them off.

That's when he felt it, freezing him in place.

Slowly, he turned his masked face to where Orochimaru still leaned against the other building. His yellow eyes fixated on Haku's form, but they burned with intense interest. Like someone who had just stumbled across a prize.

Haku's skin crawled.

~*~

"Only two days left." Kyoko sighed as she stared into the flames of the fire Itsuya had made that night. The days were passing and they were getting better at avoiding the giant snakes, poisonous, and sometimes man eating, plants and bugs, and they also spotted a few bears here and there.

Except for a tiny garter snake that was somehow always nearby. It didn't hurt anyone, it just always sat coiled somewhere nearby, eyes fixated on them. It was kind of eerie.

"It feels like it's been weeks." Roku complained as he roasted his fish over the fire. A river ran straight through the training ground and they stumbled across it on their second night, making it their main base.

They only had to survive, they didn't have to explore.

"When are you going to fix your hair. It's bothering the hell out of me." Itsuya spoke up, taking a bite out of his fish while eyeing Kyoko, her lopsided pigtails still in place.

She frowned. "When I get back to the village. Then I can get a professional to fix it. If I try right now, I'll end up making it crooked or something."

Roku listened to them talk for a few minutes, eating his now cooked fish before standing, throwing his stick into the fire. "I'm going to go get some more firewood." He said before disappearing into the surrounding foliage.

The garter snake raised his head as he passed before resuming it's position, watching Itsuya and Kyoko. Kyoko stared at her empty stick, having ate her fish before the others, before throwing hers into the fire as well.

"Well I'm still hungry. I'm going to go look for some berries or something." She said as she stood as well. "Stay here and look after camp."

"What?!" The squeak in Itsuya's voice made her pause in surprise before she turned and waved a hand at him in reassurance.

"I'm just going to get some berries. I'll be back in a few minutes." She reassured.

"But you just can't--," Itsuya started but she disappearing around a tree. She missed the frightened look that washed over Itsuya's face as he was left alone in the area., transforming his usually hostile demeanour.

Big wide eyes darted around the area as a hopeless feeling settled inside his stomach.

His shoulders hunched up as he curled in on himself as much as he could, knees drawing up to his chest as he continued chewing on his fish silently.

They left him.

He was alone.

Why would the leave him like this? Didn't they know better then to leave a kid? They were heartless.

A bird shrieked in the distance, Itsuya jumping and accidentally snapping his stick in half. He stared at the pieces before throwing them into the fire. He didn't want to eat anymore.

He didn't like this. Someone should come back. Come back now so he wasn't alone. His heart thudded like a heavy weight in his chest, his breathing becoming heavy. I

He buried his face into his knees, slowly rocking himself back and forth.

'Come back. I don't like this. I don't want to be alone. Please, someone come back. Please, please.'

~*~

Kyoko almost dropped the armful of berries she had found when she crept back to camp. Itsuya had curled up into a ball, the fire in front of him now dying to tiny flames. His shoulders were shaking and Kyoko wasn't sure whether to continue forward or to back away and pretend she hadn't seen him.

Was he crying?

Then Iruka's words came crashing back to her as she jostled the berries in her arms.

'Yeah. More so for the third members sake. His name is Samada Itsuya. He's a 10-year-old prodigy but he had dependency issues. He has trouble working alone.'

Was this what he meant?

She stepped forward, careful not to make much noise to startle him. "Itsuya?"

His head shot up quickly, eyes watery and for once, looking like the child he was. His shoulders relaxed at her appearance before he saw the concern in her face. He tensed and scowled.

"What? Do you always just sneak up like that? Don't you think that's rude?" He demanded as he uncurled himself, crossing his arms over his chest and thrusting his face in the other direction.

"Oh…um sorry." She apologized.

His moods were dizzying. They almost made her head hurt.

~*~
Strength by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: Sorry once again for how late I've been. I really am a procrastinator and I feel horrible that other people have to suffer for it. But don't worry, very soon I'll have plenty of time to write and hopefully get chapters out quicker.

Oh and Konohamaru will make an appearance…I just have to figure out when.

But until then, here you go.
Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 27: Strength


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto was exhausted beyond belief.

He barely had enough strength left to hang onto Kakashi's back as the Jounin carried him down the street for the fourth time that week.

He had been training with team 7, continuing to use his bunshins, but the minute that they disappeared, Naruto felt dead on his feet. His muscles ached and sweat poured off of him, exhaustion staggering him where he stood.

It was like his fatigue had been multiplied to a near unbearable point.

The first time it happened, Sakura and Sasuke thought he was having some kind of stroke while Kakashi remained calm and simply hefted him up onto his back.

Naruto blearily opened his eye, shapes blurring together in his vision, yet he was still able to discern what was what. Kakashi was taking him to his apartment again, like he had the other times.

Naruto could barely feel his lips turn down into a frown.

"Hey…Kakashi…sensei…" He was able to croak out, tugging on Kakashi's sleeve weakly.

"Hmm?" Was the response he got, showing he had the older male's attention.

"Turn…left up…ahead." Naruto instructed, yawning. "Then go…straight for…four blocks…"

Kakashi raised a brow as he listened to the boy's instructions. Curious, he followed them without question, shifting Naruto's weight as he did so. Heaven knows that if he let Naruto try and walk on his own, his legs would give out and he would fall asleep on the street.

Ah, the side effects of training with bunshins. Though it was amazing how many Naruto could train with, Kakashi himself got tired just having one around for extended periods of time. Naruto had ten mimicking him for the whole of the day…more or less.

His chakra and stamina was amazing.

He was getting stronger.

Kakashi was sure of it.

With that many clones training as well, Naruto was doing everything in the same time the others were, but he was working twice as hard. Maybe even more, considering how many bunshins he made.

If he continued like this, he may become stronger than Kakashi himself within months, maybe even just a year.

Kakashi wasn't sure whether that was disturbing or amazing.

"…turn right." Kakashi did so and blinked as the Namikaze estate became recognizable down the street. Naruto's next directions led them straight to it in fact.

"Naruto, where are we going?" Kakashi asked slowly, bemused, glancing at the boy behind him. Naruto looked up over Kakashi's shoulder, as if wondering if his directions had somehow gotten them lost, but he relaxed when he saw the estate.

"Home."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't fair Kakashi-sensei! Make him get rid of his bushins if we're going to spar!" Sakura demanded, pointing an accusing finger at Naruto and his copies. The multiple blond males looked disgruntled, a few opening their mouths to responded but were saved by the silver haired man.

"I can't do that Sakura. If this was a real fight, there would be no holding back between opponents."

Sakura frowned.

"Besides, if Naruto has the ability to use Kage Bunshin, then he should be allowed to use it, just like how Sasuke is allowed to use his Sharingan or a Hyuuga member with their Byakugan." Kakashi finished calmly.

Sakura badly wanted to protest, seeing how Naruto's jutsu made it so she had to fight against multiple opponents and she didn't have the same stamina he did, but it seemed that she wouldn't be able to persuade Kakashi.

She settled for glaring holes into his head.

She glared, tapping her foot for a whole minute before Kakashi sighed and rubbed the back of his head.

"Fine. How about Sasuke fights on your side to help you out." He offered, Sasuke making a grunt of disagreement from where he stood while Sakura hummed her consent. It was Sasuke's turn to glare at the Jounin but Kakashi only shooed him towards the pinkette, Sasuke grudgingly walking towards his two teammates.

He didn't want to be paired up with her.

"Alright! I'll take both of you on!" The original Naruto declared, pumping a fist in the air, words of agreement echoing his words as his five bunshins got into fighting stances, bouncing on the balls of their feet in anticipation.

Sasuke smirked, Naruto's words erasing Sakura's presence from his mind. In all of their fights, Sasuke was always the victor. Naruto could barely land a hit on him. Even with this many copies, Sasuke doubted there would be much of a difference in the outcome.

Naruto was being cocky.

"You still won't stand a chance dobe." He sneered, removing his hands from his pockets. Beside him Sakura hesitantly crouched down into a fighting stance as well, eyes flickering between Sasuke and the army of Naruto's.

"Teme!" The Naruto's shouted in unison as they all charged towards him, Sasuke activating his Sharingan as they did so. Unlike Sakura, Sasuke didn't hesitate to start dealing blows, flipping over the masses of orange and yellow as he swept feet out from under people, broke noses, and dealt kicks to people's jaws.

Smoke was filling the air around the brunette as the Uchiha planted both of his feet into the chest of a nearby clone, flipping back in time to avoid a tackle from behind. He was inwardly marvelling at the power the Sharingan gave him, Naruto's every move becoming more defined and clear to him with each passing moment.

In all honesty, it looked more like a spar between the two boys than a match between Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. The Haruno just couldn't seem to find an opening to join the fight and was standing helplessly at the side, scowl slowly starting to form on her face.

Naruto swore under his breath, his breathing getting heavier as he trained all of his attention on Sasuke's movements, dodging around his jabs while his bunshins made tackles and sweeping kicks to try and knock him off balance.

Sasuke ducked underneath a fist, grabbing it and twisting his body, the Naruto crying out in surprise as he was hurled through the air over Sasuke's back. Sakura's eyes widened as the airborne ninja came soaring towards her.

Naruto barely managed to open his eyes in time to see the pinkette managing to scramble away, her actions in vain as Naruto saw her getting painfully close.

"Sorry Sakura-chan!" Naruto's voice apologized as Sakura squeaked, a loud smack echoing through the air before the Naruto disappeared in a cloud of smoke, Sasuke too preoccupied to even turn his head to see what had happened. He elbowed a bunshin in the torso, turning swiftly and ducking under a kick, blocking with his forearm.

He smirked as he pushed the leg away. 'He hasn't even hit me y--'

That was when pain erupted from his abdomen, spit flying from his mouth as the heel from a foot crashed into him, catching him by surprise.

He flew back only for a fist to pound against the back of his skull, spinning him face first towards the ground. He caught himself on his hands and knees before he could kiss the dirt.

There was a second of confused silence, between both the blondes and the brunette, blue eyes blinking, before…

"Yeah! Take that!" Naruto cried out triumphantly, grin lighting up his face. Sasuke growled, glaring as he sprang upright, not even waiting a second before he dispelled the clone next to him, irritation swelling inside of him.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I see you survived." Anko commented, her words mumbled from the mouthful of dango she was eating. She grinned widely, littering as she threw the empty stick onto the ground and stepped towards them, placing her hands on her hips.

"This means you have more potential then I thought. Good job brats."

"You expected us to die…didn't you?!" Roku accused, Anko waving off his words.

"Die, maim, really the same thing. Oh Toshi!" Anko suddenly cooed, crouching down as something slithered through the grass. Kyoko jumped back instinctively, staying on her tiptoes as the garter snake from earlier went past, slithering towards Anko, the purple haired kunoichi reaching a hand towards the reptile and letting it slither onto her arm.

"You mean, that thing was yours?" Itsuya remarked, Anko glaring at him before he could continue talking, which it looked like he was about to do. Honestly, could he not just say one sentence?

"Don't say thing! That's rude!" She snapped before petting Toshi on the head, smile returning. "This is Toshi. I told you I would be watching you guys with one of my summons. He would disappear if any of you were seriously injured. But you're not, which means you pass."

As an after thought, her smile dwindled and she frowned. "That means we're a team." She was their Jounin. No weaselling out of this one. Damn!

"So--" Kyoko started before Anko cut her off. She straightened up, shoulders rolling back and an air of professionalism taking over her.

"Congratulations. You are now Team 1, the first Genins of your Academy year. We will begin missions in two days time so meet in front of Hontoro's Dango Shop at 8 o'clock." She started formally before she relaxed, her eyes glinting mischievously.

"The last one there has to buy me dango."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red eyes glared, watching as the male in front of him did a series of taijutsu moves. He had been appearing here for the past few days, making the fox not surprised to see him at all.

He was irritated beyond belief, but not surprised.

"What do you think you're doing?" Kyuubi growled, Naruto barely pausing as his fist planted into the abdomen of his invisible enemy, the Namikaze turning back sharply and twisting his body to the side, punching where one's face would be.

"Well…" He started. "Since someone can't seem to leave me alone, even when I'm sleeping, I thought I may as well train while I'm at it." Naruto bit out bitterly. He had managed to focus on his chakra despite the distraction of the Kyuubi, simply ignoring the fox while he moulded chakra.

It was almost back to normal.

But then a week ago, Naruto found when he went to sleep, he woke up in the dank hallways. He had spent the first nights simply walking through the maze of hallways, grumbling when they wound around to dead ends or connected back to themselves, like an intricate maze.

If he didn't eventually wake up, or find the Kyuubi, which he always did, Naruto was sure he would've been lost for weeks.

Kyuubi's fur rose in anger. "Watch what you say! You think I'm the one calling you? I never want to see your face! If it was up to me, you would be used as my personal chew toy! No…your subconscious must be calling you here." He barked viciously, spit flying from his mouth in his anger.

Naruto paused, his face screwing up as he put his foot down, the limb suspended in the air from where he had placed a kick. He turned to the Kyuubi and crossed his arms over his chest. He didn't look very intimidating dressed in his pyjamas.

"Well then how the hell am I supposed to fix that if it's in my subconscious?" He questioned.

"I just know the reason, I don't know how to fix it. What do I look like to you, a fucking psychiatrist?" Kyuubi hissed. Instead of arguing, Naruto snorted in amusement, Kyuubi growling as Naruto coughed to hide his obvious laughter. He eventually managed to maintain a straight face and turned away from the barricaded fox, continuing his taijutsu moves.

"Well since I can't figure out how to fix it, it looks like I'm stuck here."

Kyuubi grumbled incoherent death threats as he scathingly watched the blond move about, the sound of sloshing water the only noise for the next ten minutes. Eventually, he spoke up again.

"Why are you even trying so hard in the first place? It's not going to get you anywhere. You'll die in the end."

Naruto didn't stop his movements but his voice hesitated for a second. "I want to be strong to gain respect." His face darkened for a second but Kyuubi saw it and the fox perked his head up, attention caught. That was an interesting expression on the child. "The villagers…" He ground out. "I'm going to make them recognize me. If I have to become the most powerful ninja in Konoha for that to happen then I'll do that. I'll become Hokage and show all of them."

Kyuubi was silent for a second before his lips pulled back into a smile that would make a child cry. The action caught Naruto's attention, the boy slowly turning to look at him once again.

"I believe I figured out what your problem is." The fox started, his eyes glinting. How interesting, it seemed he had misjudged the sack of flesh before him. Naruto only continued to look at him blankly, clearly confused.

"You want power. That's why your subconscious seeks me."

Kyuubi grinned with pure malice at the shocked look that washed over Naruto. He blinked before beginning to sputter in indignation and anger.

"Y-yeah right! Where would you ever get that idea you stupid fox!" Kyuubi only continued to grin despite the insult. Anger was beginning to boil inside of Naruto as he looked up at that stupid grinning fox, his hands clenching into tight fists and his teeth clenching together. He was lying. He was lying!

"I want to be Hokage and t--"

"And to be the Hokage you need power. To be the strongest in the Village. You said so yourself. Then again, all humans crave for power. I'm not surprised that you'd be the same."

"SHUT UP!"

Everything suddenly flickered around him and Naruto gasped, eyes shooting open. The ceiling of his room looked back at him as Naruto clutched at the mattress below him tensely. Looking around, he saw his belongings scattering the floor and dresser and he relaxed as the familiar surroundings began to register in his head.

A whine came from somewhere near Naruto's hip, the blond raising his head enough to see Fuji looking at him curiously from where he sat on top of the covers, wedged in the space that Naruto's body didn't take up. Naruto couldn't help the smile that lit his face. He found it beyond cool that Fuji followed him everywhere.

Fuji's tail wagged at the smile, reluctantly putting his head down when Naruto did, the Namikaze relaxing back against the bed.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's finished then?" Orochimaru asked, a smile creeping into his voice. It caused a shudder to pass down the spine of the man in front of him. The beady eyed scientist that Gatou had hired and put under Orochimaru's care was quick to recover and nodded his head.

"Y-Yes."

He reached into the pocket of the oversized lab coat draped over his body and retracted a vial of colorless liquid, the liquid glinting in the dim light overhead. Orochimaru's eyes gleamed as he reached forward and grabbed it from the man's tiny hand.

Usually he would send Kabuto to go on these little runs for him, but the silver haired male was busy helping set the plan in motion. Together, they had taken care of the main details, but now they had to brush up on the finer things, Orochimaru taking care of things on this end of the country while Kabuto was forced to trek through the desert to get to Suna.

Orochimaru would have to manage without him for the time being.

"It was t-tricky to get right at f-f-first, but in the end, I got it j-just like you r-r-requested." The man stuttered as he wiped his hands on his coat, watching the snake Sannin turn the vial over and over again in his hands.

Orochimaru smirked to himself.

Things couldn't be going more perfect.

With Gatou's wealth and underground workings of the drug trade, he was able to find the right ingredients to finally bring to life a substance he had been dreaming of creating for years.

"How many bottles did you make?"

"I have p-plenty more in the e-experimentation room O-Orochimaru-sama." The man offered quickly before scuttling back to the room behind him.

Orochimaru grinned as he pocket the vial, the smile looking purely demonic on his face.

'You're time is up, Sarutobi.'


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm becoming broke!" Kyoko whined as she sat at one of the many tables offered at the dango shop. She plunked her head into her arms, her shoulder length locks spilling onto the table and the clip fastening her bangs on top of her head digging into her arms.

"Well stop coming late. Then you wouldn't have to buy Anko-sensei dango every time." Roku advised calmly as he watched the blond bury her face even further into her arms. The mentioned Jounin had just departed a couple minutes ago, leaving a bill for Kyoko, who had shown up late earlier that morning.

Itsuya ate his piece of dango contently.

"It's amazing how much of the stuff she eats. Don't girls usually worry about losing their figures or something like that? With the way she eats, I'm surprised she still has one." He remarked as he chewed.

Roku scowled and kicked the 10-year-old underneath the table, making him cry out. They glared at each other, Kyoko ignoring what was now becoming normal behaviour to her.

Grudgingly, she excused herself and paid for the dango, emptying her wallet of it's contents as she did so. She returned to the table to find her two male teammates bickering over something trivial. They looked like complete opposites. Itsuya was small, tan, and dressed in a bulky camouflage jacket, white t-shirt, gloves and black pants. Roku was tall, pale, and dressed like a samurai, his wide violet pants looking utterly disproportioned with the fact that his top was a series of bandages wound around his torso.

"Well I'm going to go on ahead. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Roku raised a hand to show he heard her and she left the store, slipping her empty wallet back into her pocket.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarutobi looked out at the ninjas standing in front of him, the faces watching him with varying expressions. Deciding to get to business, he cleared his throat and laced his fingers on his desk's surface.

"I pressume you all know what is coming up."

A few heads bobbed while looks of confusion flitted across others.

"Konoha has been chosen to host the Chuunin Exams and they will be held in two months. The reason I'm telling you this now is so you can start training your teams if you believe they have the potential in entering the exams."

Whispering and muttering broke out but Sarutobi held up a hand as a few mouth's began to open to readily comment. One being Maito Gai.

"I don't want to hear anything right now. I'll gather you all again in a month and a half to hear your decisions, but until then I expect you to train your students well."

"Yosh! I will do so!" Gai proclaimed, grinning broadly. He already knew his students were ready for this. Kakashi nodded lazily to himself, Asuma merely sighing and pulling his cigarette from his mouth.

Kurenai bit her lip.
Sign Me Up by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok well I had inspiration to write my own story, so I kind of strayed a little bit. Sorry. Also, don’t forget finals for school, and I got a new job. Man, busy busy busy, I tell you.

Oh well, hope you enjoy, sorry for the wait.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 28: Sign Me Up

~*~

A month and a half had passed and Konoha was buzzing with whispers about the upcoming Chuunin exams. Everybody had heard about them, even those whom were presumed to live under rocks.

So naturally Naruto spent every waking moment wondering about it.

“I wonder what kind of test they make you do, is it like a battle to the finish?” He asked excitedly as he grabbed Sasuke’s punch and yanked the Uchiha forward. Sasuke growled in pure frustration and anger as he dodged a punch, turning sharply on his ankle and snatching his hand back from Naruto’s grip.

“I don’t know.” Sasuke ground out for the fifth time that day, his fury boiling dangerously high. Before Naruto could respond Sasuke’s leg came around in a high arc and caught the Namikaze in the ribs, the momentum causing Sasuke himself to rise from the ground.

Naruto wheezed as he was sent flying. He hit the grass, waiting a minute to get his wind back before relaxing. Sasuke scowled when Naruto made no move to right himself. There was no team training today but ever since Sasuke had started to notice Naruto’s rising strength, the Uchiha wasn’t relenting in his training. He wasn’t going to let the dead last beat him…ever!

Yet somehow Naruto had found him when he was supposed to be training by himself and Sasuke didn’t pass up the chance to try and remind the blond who was the better one. And if he ever dared to admit it to himself, it was a good work out.

Naruto frowned, his mind elsewhere.

“How many people do you think are allowed to enter? Do you think we can enter?”

A vein pulsed in Sasuke’s head. “I. Don’t. Know.” Was his strained response, his voice shaking in aggravation. Naruto’s eyes suddenly lit up and he sat upright in a tangle of limbs.

“Let’s ask Kakashi-sensei!”

“No.”

“Come on! I bet you’re dying to know about the exam too! Come on teme!” Naruto cried as he got to his feet, ignoring the snarled verbal abuse hurled at him as he grabbed Sasuke’s arm and took off from the training ground, kicking up grass as he went.

Sasuke could only try and yank his arm free as Naruto’s momentum forced him to follow for fear of falling on his face, his feet barely hitting the ground at the speed they were going at.

“Let go of me!”

“KAKASHI-SENSEI!” Naruto screamed as he turned into the village streets. He had no clue where the silver haired man lived so this was his way of searching for him. He had to be around him somewhere…right?

People gave him a wide berth, strange looks crossing their faces as he continued to holler for his Jounin instructor like a deranged person, dragging an unwilling Uchiha survivor behind him.

Halfway down another street, Sasuke finally managed to pull free. He fell back onto his butt from the sheer force of the move, Naruto blinking and turning around half a block ahead. He was greeted with black eyes verging on going red, glaring holes into his head.

Sasuke stood with as much dignity as he could muster and stocked over to the blond male. Pain suddenly exploded across his scalp as Sasuke proceeded to beat him in such a fashion that only Sakura ever cared to give him.

“Ow! Cut it out! Ow, ow, stop it!” Naruto hollered as he tried to fight off his attacker. It was at this point that the man Naruto was trying to find exited from the nearby, adult book store. His single eye took in the scene and his brow quirked up.

“Shouldn’t you be doing that at a training ground Sasuke?” He asked casually as if the scene before him was nothing out of the ordinary, the two pausing momentarily at his voice.

“Kakashi-sensei!” Naruto cried out joyously as he pulled Sasuke’s fist away from his face and scuttled over to the Jounin before Sasuke could continue pummelling him. “Are we in the Chuunin exams?”

Kakashi looked at Naruto simply. “Hmm? Where did you hear that?” He mused.

Naruto’s face dimmed as Sasuke, despite himself, took interest in the topic and walked over. “So…we’re not in the exams? WHY NOT?!”

“I never said that.” Kakashi continued as he turned and walked down the street, the two males walking in his wake. He continued as Naruto opened his mouth, almost as if he knew Naruto was going to continue. “The Hokage is gathering all the Jounin instructors today to get our opinions to see whether we think our teams are ready to participate in the exams. If they are, they go for the exams in half a month, if not we give the sign and they don’t get to go.”

He fell silent and Naruto waited for him to continue. He didn’t and Naruto stomped his foot impatiently.

“Well?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you going to say yes or no?!” He demanded, throwing his arms into the air. He really was quite worked up over this. Kakashi turned to look at them and they could see an amused smirk pull at his lips under his mask.

“I haven’t decided yet.”

~*~

“You can’t be serious.” Kyoko whispered, wide eyes fixated on Itsuya’s deceivingly innocent looking face. At her words, he scowled.

“Would I be anything else? Honestly, have you ever heard me crack a joke? What are you, stupid?” Itsuya retorted. She let the insult slide, she was becoming more immune to them the more she was forced to hang out with him.

Itsuya had just proposed that they take the Chuunin registration slips, that Anko liked to taunt them with ever since having received them, and fill them out themselves. The slips only have to get to the Hokage, there was no rule saying that the Jounin instructor of the group had to be the one to deliver them. The filled out slips would be enough proof of the Jounin’s permission of allowing the group to participate in the exam. The Jounin technically didn’t have to say anything. And with Anko being how she was, she probably wouldn’t attend the Hokage’s meeting in the first place, but that was just a guess from what Itsuya had observed about her.

Roku, who had been gaping at the child in shock, managed to break out of his trance and lean closer.

“Are you insane? We just became Genins a month and a half ago! We can’t become Chuunin!” He whispered heatedly, his words almost a hiss. Kyoko nodded while Itsuya glared, leaning in as well, their heated conversation getting a worried glance from the waitress of the dango shop.

“That has nothing to do with a ninja’s skill. Just because we’ve only been Genin’s for close to two months, doesn’t mean one of us doesn’t have the skills to go farther.”

Roku blinked once before a cold look settled over his features. Apparently he wasn’t the only one who caught the implications in Itsuya’s words. Kyoko was surprisingly annoyed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Kyoko barked, smacking the table’s surface. “You don’t think we’re good enough to get promoted as well? What, you think you’re too good for us or something?”

Itsuya looked mildly startled as he looked at her face. She was usually the more calm one of the group. He was used to having to argue with Roku, not her. But that didn’t change the fact that he was right and she was wrong…clearly.

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m 10 and your 12.”

“So?! That doesn’t prove anything. It just proves that you have skills normal 10-year-old at the Academy don’t have and were able graduate from the Academy before them. That doesn’t mean that you’re better than us.” She growled, looking like she wanted to inflict pain but instead took a vicious bite out of the dango in front of them, glaring all the while.

“So you think you’re good ninja?” He asked calmly, leaning back, the other two doing the same.

It was almost amazing the gift he had to make people angry. “Yes, I do.” She growled, her voice muffled by the food in her mouth.

A purely devilish look lit up Itsuya’s eyes as he spoke again, his voice challenging.

“Prove it. Help me enter the exams.”

Roku, who had regained himself since he was no longer partaking in the conversation, snapped his eyes to the female of the group. A range of emotions played across her face while Itsuya just stared at her challengingly.

Roku decided to intervene yet again. “We can’t ju--”

He was drowned out as Kyoko slammed her dango stick against the table, standing abruptly. The fire in her eyes reflected the pure look of defiance etched onto her face.

“Fine! I will!”

~*~

Sarutobi looked at the Jounin’s gathered in front of him, his lips pursing against his pipe as he noticed a missing head of purple hair.

Anko had ignored his summon. Typical.

He resisted the urge to sigh in front of all these people and instead pressed forward as if nothing was wrong. He would just take her lack of a response to mean that she believed her team to be unsuitable for the exam.

“You all know why you are here.” He started, nods following his words. “I trust that you have all come to a decision then.”

Gai didn’t waste anytime answering. “Yosh! My team is ready to move forward and participate most youthfully in the exams!” He exclaimed, thrusting a thumbs up into the air. His confidence and enthusiasm was almost crippling.

Unlike most people, the Sandaime was amused by the man’s eccentricities and only nodded, lip quirking up into a smile. “Thank you for that Gai. Please tell me the names of the Genins in your team.”

The names of Hyuuga Neji, Rock Lee, and Tenten were immediately thrown out into the air, the registration forms for the three students quickly appearing from the pocket of Gai’s flak jacket. Sarutobi took them and made a pile on his desk while copying the names on a pad of paper set before him.

“Next.”

Asuma stepped forward and ran a hand through his dark hair before beginning to speak. “I recommend my team, team 10, for the exams. That’s Yamanaka Ino, Nara Shikamaru, and Akimichi Chouji.”

Their names went down onto the paper as well as Asuma stepped back into line after handing the forms to the Sandaime as well. The son of the Sandaime didn’t notice the slightly fearful look he was receiving from Iruka. The Chuunin couldn’t believe that he had agreed to enter them in the exam. They were still too young!

Kakashi stepped up next, his hands in his pockets and overall slouched casually in position. Somewhere someone heard Gai mutter something about Kakashi and cool, but no one really paid attention.

Despite his earlier words that day to Sasuke and Naruto, he spoke his next sentences with perfect confidence. “I nominate team 7, Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke, and Haruno Sakura, for this upcoming exam.”

Iruka began to sputter out protests, Kakashi stepping back and Kurenai stepping forward as the Chuunin began to speak.

“Please wait a minute! Those students were just made Genins not too--”

Sarutobi cut him off firmly. “Iruka please.” His firm tone made the Chuunin fall silent, but he squirmed with objection as all attention turned to Kurenai, the genjutsu kunoichi silent where she stood.

“Go ahead Kurenai.” Sarutobi urged politely. It was a few seconds of perfect silence before she opened her mouth…only to close it. A brow was raised from the man in front of her before her shoulders squared and she began speaking.

“Forgive me Hokage-sama but team 8 is not ready to take the exams. They need a little more time.”

She bowed, grimacing as she did so. It pained her to do this. She knew what expressions she would see on her team’s face when they found out they wouldn’t be competing in the exam when the rest of their friends would be. When they found out that it was her decision to hold them back.

The image made her want to cry, pain constricting her chest.

She never wanted to hurt he three man cell…

But she couldn’t stop thinking about the Land of Waves. Everything had gone so horribly wrong and she hated to admit it, but if it hadn’t of been for Zabuza being so focused on his own mission that he was unwilling to diverge from his path once he had completed it, they would’ve all died that day.

Including her.

She had been uncomfortable with them going on a C-rank mission in the first place but they had convinced her to go along with it. It was her responsibility to look out for them and train them so that mistakes like that wouldn’t be made.

She wouldn’t send them out into the world like that. Unprepared and ready to be slaughtered. Not if she could do something about it. They could hate her as much as they wanted, but she would protect them.

“I see. Very well then.” Sarutobi spoke, his eyes seeming to search her soul as she straightened up, working to keep her face impassive as she did so.

“Next.”

~*~

Haku was itching with anticipation as the man in front of him continued to talk, explaining some sort of plan to him. The words were falling on deaf ears as Haku looked around the room they occupied, the candles lining the walls casting flickering shadows all about.

They had separated him and Zabuza.

He had never been separated from Zabuza for this long! It had been three days and he was anxious to see his master again. Haku would’ve never put up with this if Zabuza hadn’t told him to just deal with it. Haku’s only true loyalties were to Zabuza so if Zabuza said to do it, he would.

But he wouldn’t like it.

It was strange, it seemed whenever they both felt like leaving the place, Orochimaru would find some way to change Zabuza’s mind. He truly was a cunning, devious man. And since Zabuza stayed, Haku stayed, though Haku found those creepy yellow orbs of Orochimaru’s fixating on him instead of the swordsmen when Orochimaru was talking to the two of them.

It made gooseflesh spread across his skin.

“Pay attention. You’ve been fidgeting all morning and it’s irritating me.”

Haku flinched, attention snapping to the silver haired man before him. Onyx eyes were scowling at him from behind huge, round glasses, his long hair scraped back into a thick ponytail. This boy, only a few years older than him really, was Orochimaru’s right hand man.

Yakushi Kabuto looked drastically less intimidating then Orochimaru did, he looked normal one could say. It was easier for Haku to forget himself in his presence. But Kabuto was Orochimaru’s right hand man for a reason and that made Haku wary and put his senses on alert…when he remembered who he was talking to.

“I apologize.” Haku muttered as he tried to regain himself in enemy terrirtoy. Kabuto pushed his glasses up his nose as he shifted his weight on his foot.

“Did you hear a word I said at all?”

Haku bowed his head. “I apologize.”

There was a faint growl that transformed into a sigh. Haku tried once again to pay close attention as Kabuto began talking, looking severely exasperated. He wanted nothing more than to be finished with talking to Haku and have his original team accompany him to Konoha, but it was Orochimaru’s desire to have this new child on the team.

Sometimes Kabuto couldn’t understand Orochimaru’s latest fascinations. This kid could hardly pay attention at all. What help would he be.

“The Chuunin Exams are going to take place in Konoha in two weeks. I am going to be participating and as such, I’ll need teammates. You’re going to be accompanying me, along with Yoroi, in entering the exams under Konoha identities.”

Haku felt his anxiety grow slightly. He didn’t want to be separated from Zabuza again.

Kabuto wasn’t finished and continued on before the brunette male could interject. “Orochimaru-sama wishes to see the potential of Uchiha Sasuke, a child with a very powerful kekkei genkai. To prove himself, Orochimaru-sama wishes for Sasuke to fight against you, Haku. But to get you to in a place where you can fight without question, we have to pass the first exam and enter the second. I’ve taken the test several times before so it won’t be difficult to achieve this.”

“We’re going through all this trouble to fight just to fight one person?” Haku asked, incredulous. He then inwardly grimaced for speaking out.

Kabuto would surely chew him out for doing so.

A devious light lit up in Kabuto’s eye as a smirk grew on his face. He looked every bit the henchmen of the snake Sannin as the smirk twisted his face in a malicious way. As he spoke, he reached inside the folds of his purple shirt and grasped the vial of clear liquid carefully.

“That’s all you’ll be doing. Don’t worry about the rest of the plan, that’s up to me.”

~*~

“Come on, I don’t have all day!” Anko called out, putting one hand on her hip while she held the door to the laundr-o-mat open. Itsuya glared from over the basket of laundry he held in his hands as he staggered towards the building. He opened his mouth to retort, but Kyoko nudged him in the shoulder in silent warning and he clamped it shut.

They were on a mission of their own.

“Anko-sensei, this isn’t even a real mission!” Roku pointed out with a grunt as he came inside and set the bucket down on top of the many washing machines. “You’re just making us carry you’re laundry for you.”

“I’m helping you build muscles, don’t be ungrateful.” She snorted nonchalantly as she turned and opened a nearby machine, beginning to occupy it with her clothes. Her apartment building didn’t have a laundry room in it so she was forced to walk down to this building in order to get any clean clothes.

Itsuya grumbled something unintelligible, his words muffled by him setting his basket of clothes down with a thud, Kyoko doing the same beside him.

“Hmm, what was that brat?” Anko mused threateningly, gaze sliding to the short male.

With Kyoko stepping subtly on his left toes, Itsuya ground out, “Nothing.”

The busty woman smirked as she fully turned to face him. “What, no back sass today? Is it because I have these?” From her trench coat she pulled out the three registration forms for the Chuunin exams.

Roku held back an annoyed groan at the light that suddenly lit up Itsuya’s eyes, though the 10-year-old tried to hide the change in emotion. Despite how utterly stupid Roku thought it was to try and enter the exams when they clearly weren’t ready, he decided to at least throw them a bone and help them.

Let them figure out how stupid this was for themselves.

Playing his part, Roku decided to speak up. “Anko-sensei, those were supposed to go into the Hokage today.” Roku pointed out simply.

She blinked before looking at the slips of paper in her hands. She scowled before swearing and crumpling them up into little balls. “Fuck. They’re useless to me now.” She cursed before tossing them into the garbage bin.

Roku caught a look at Kyoko’s face and caught the look of determination set in her eyes.

As soon as Anko wasn’t looking, the blond was going through the trash.

~*~

“You’re more energetic than usual.”

“The Chuunin Exams are only two weeks away and Kakashi-sensei entered us!” Naruto declared happily, his feet sloshing in the water. Kyuubi snorted in disgust at the humans obvious excitement. The brat was getting excited over a contest that killed people.

But then again, with his intellect, he probably didn’t know that.

Kyuubi watched as Naruto shadow boxed in his pyjamas, the fox having remained silent for many nights in irritation and anger since Naruto dared to yell at him, but now he was mildly amused.

The look on Naruto’s young face was so, nauseatingly, familiar it made him want to laugh. His lips pulled back into a smile as he just watched the blond become more and more absorbed in his fighting.

It was the look of one who enjoyed the thrill of a fight.

The thrill of battle.

The gleaming of his huge canines caught Naruto’s attention and the male paused what he was doing. He frowned, fists still raised in the air.

“What?”

“How’s the quest for power going?”

The transformation those words triggered in him was almost mind blowing. His once, bright eyed, excited face, darkened and his eyes burned with anger.

He all but snarled at the fox. “I’m not on a quest for power!”

Kyuubi couldn’t help but laugh now, his tongue lolling out from his mouth. “I thought you wanted power to prove yourself to the village? To be the stupid little Hokage? You need power for that. I don’t get why you get so upset, you humans are so messed up.” Kyuubi chuckled ruthlessly.

Naruto glowered. “The way you say it makes me sound like some power hungry monster. If I gain power, it’s only to protect those close to me. I wouldn‘t abuse it.”

Kyuubi’s laughter boomed through the air, rattling the bars before him.

“How naïve you are!”

He continued to laugh for a good five minutes, Naruto’s anger boiling dangerously high, his body flushing as he watched the fox laugh at his own expense. When he regained himself, the Kyuubi’s eyes were dancing.

He had never been so amused. This fleshling was really something.

“But far be it from me to spoil you finding out the truth the hard way. But the prospect of you obtaining power entertains and intrigues me greatly. If you ever want to know about true power, I may just nudge you in the right direction if you don’t irritate me.”

“I’ll never come to you for help! I’d have to be crazy!” Naruto screamed, the veins in his neck pulsing with anger. This was the demon who destroyed most of the village 12 years ago.

“Even my help could save those you care about?” Kyuubi mused as he rested his head on his paws. “You better be careful what you say, I’m in a good mood right now but it won’t last, along with my patience.”

Naruto stormed away, disappearing around the corner and into the maze that was his subconscious. Kyuubi watched him go with a smile still on his face. He had never had so much fun.

Time passed and his good mood was quickly evaporating. He was scowling at the bars in front of him, eyes memorizing the grime coating them. It had been hours and the brat still hadn’t returned. Kyuubi’s mood was just about to turn foul when the sound of sloshing water made him raise his head.

Naruto turned into the room, a zoned out, almost defeated look on his face. Kyuubi sneered down at him as the Namikaze stopped in front of his cage.

“Well?”

Naruto spoke the next words slowly, as if he had to drag them out forcefully.

“I accept.”

The crack in the bar gave a silent cry of protest as it grew to a meter in length, chips of the bar flying unnoticed by the child and disappearing into the water.

But Kyuubi saw and grinned like the demon he was.

~*~
Good Enough by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok please forgive me for being late when I said I would try to get my chapters out quicker. My brother got me into playing God of War and watching -Man and everything just kind of snowballed into me getting distracted by stuff. So sorry!

So please enjoy and note that I did not kill Konohamaru.
Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxmyworld

Chapter 29: Good Enough


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinata was silent as she picked at the material of her pants, tears sliding wordlessly down her face and dropping onto her lap. After Kurenai had broken the news to her team, a helpless feeling had latched onto her and just wouldn't seem to go away, only growing bigger and bigger, and when she closed her eyes, she could feel the judging, disapproving eyes of her father staring down at her.

She was pathetic. It was official now.

After it had sunk in, Kiba had yelled and had attacked nearby objects to vent his anger though it didn't help in the slightest. It eventually turned to him yelling at Kurenai before storming off, kicking trash cans and anything he could really, as he went.

Shino mumbled a few choice words to mostly himself, the bugs concealed in his clothes buzzing more loudly then usual before he clenched his fists, disappearing a moment later.

And at that time, it hadn't yet sunk in for Hinata. She just stood there, blinking, watching as Kurenai bit her lip and clutched at her still useless hand, the Jounin wincing as the sound of Kiba kicking a nearby trashcan vibrated through the air.

It wasn't until later that day, when Hinata was on her way home, that it registered in her head.

They weren't good enough.

She wasn't good enough.

She never had been.

Unwelcome tears slipped from her eyes.

But she had known that. Lord, she'd always known that, she didn't need Kurenai telling her that to see it herself. She could never beat Hanabi even though Hanabi was her younger sister and she constantly disappointed her father. She failed at so many things that she couldn't even begin to count them and she had no courage.

She shouldn't even be a ninja. She wasn't good at it anyways. She'd drag everyone down.

Caught up in her thought, Hinata suddenly didn't feel like going home to greet her father and Neji, her feet spinning her around. But where could she go? She couldn't just wander the streets crying. Eventually, down a street she didn't quite recognize, a tree jutted out among the fencing and Hinata hid herself among it's roots, curling into the shadows as she cried soundlessly.

What if they had never failed that mission to waves? What if she was a stronger person? What if she was more confident?

What if…

What if…

Hinata bit her lip viciously. She hated those two words, so bittersweet in her mouth.

She stayed curled up against the tree for a good chunk of the morning, a few people passing her by without a second glance. She blended in nicely among the shadows. She continued to pick at her pants, the world blurring around her when a single voice made everything crash back with startling clarity.

"Hinata?"

Naruto's voice made her squeak and jump, her hands bumping against her knee caps from the action as her head snapped upright.

The blond was staring at her in confusion, face scrunched up and head cocked to the side. His clothes looked slightly dishevelled, small dirt smears covering his arms. He must've been coming back from some D-rank mission.

"N-N-Naruto-kun!" She started, heat flooding her face as Naruto began walking towards the oddly, yet well placed, tree. He crouched down in front of her and she would've stumbled backwards from the proximity but her back was against the tree's trunk so there was nowhere to go.

"What'cha doing?"

"Um…I…uh…" She stammered breathlessly before the beast known as self-conscience got a hold of her. She had just been crying, crying! Her eyes must be red and she must look a mess! She tried to swipe at her eyes casually with her sleeve as she continued to stammer to the boy in front of her but the action drew unwanted attention to her face.

Naruto drew back, eyes widening for a second as he took in her face, red eyes and tear streaked cheeks. "Were you…were you crying?" He whispered, as if frightened by the thought.

Hinata could just look at him, face still red, mind blank. She didn't know what to say. Her mind was sluggish from his sudden appearance and her heart was racing in her chest. What could she say? What the hell could she say?

Apparently she didn't have to say anything because in a second Naruto was up on his feet, fists on his hips in a surprisingly feminine position.

"Did someone hurt you?" He accused suddenly.

"W-what? No, I-"

"I'll get revenge for you! Who was it Hinata, I swear-"

Hinata tried to interrupted meekly. "I-I-It's n-not like t-tha-"

Naruto was quick to continue, his one track mind taking over. He wasn't listening to her and was jumping to assumptions. "I'll get them, because you don't make girls cry! You just don't! That's the rule! Who is this-"

"N-no, it's n-n-ot l-"

"-jerk because I'll-"

"I'm crying because I'm pathetic!"

Her voice trilled in the air, startling the male into silence while Hinata's eyes widened in fright, hands clamping over her mouth.

She couldn't believe she just did that! She raised her voice! In front of Naruto of all people! Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no! What had she done?

Naruto just blinked as he took in her frightened position. "Hinata?"

The heat radiating from her face spread to the rest of her body and she suddenly felt dizzy. The world in front of her tilted before her pupiless eyes slid back into her skull and she slumped against the tree trunk.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What did you want to see me for?" Anko asked grumpily, arms crossed as she pointedly looked anywhere but the desk in front of her.

"You missed the meeting yesterday." Sarutobi stated calmly, watching as she sighed and ran a hand through her bangs.

"So?"

"You can't just go off, missing meetings just because you feel like it Anko. What if it had been about something life threatening?" He asked, face going stern. Her eyes finally slid to fixate on him.

"But it wasn't, it was just about the Chuunin Exams."

His eyebrow twitched involuntarily before it was his turn to sigh. "That's no excuse. As punishment, you're going to be the proctor for phase two of the exam."

"WHAT?" The Kunoichi's body jerked, eyes widening a fraction. "You can't do that!"

Sarutobi smiled in amusement as he reclined in his chair. "I'm afraid I can." Enraged noises emitted from her throat as Anko's hands flailed in jerky gestures before she froze an idea striking her like a brick in the head.

A shadow fell across her face and a wide smile stretched her lips. "Oh…" She chuckled darkly. "I see. I'll be a proctor. Oh, I'll be a proctor alright." Her laughter rumbled darkly in her chest, Sarutobi only watching her.

How was he to know the terror he would unleash on the participants?

"Why do I have to do it, you're the one who got the letters so you should be the one to do it?"

"But this was your idea in the first place." Kyoko chided as she shoved a finger in his nose. After a second she smiled, pulling the lollipop from her mouth. "Besides, you lost rock, paper, scissors."

"I think since Roku hasn't done anything to participate yet-"

"I'm not going to participate. This is stupid. You two are stupid for doing this." Roku shot back, glaring at Itsuya for trying to volunteer him. The three of them were standing in front of the Hokage tower, Itsuya currently clutching the Chuunin Exam registration forms in his hands.

Kyoko whined, waving her lollipop around. "That's unfair! I just need to do this to prove a point!"

Roku's eyebrows rose as he looked down at her. "That we're going to die?"

She scowled before giving Itsuya a rough shove towards the door. "Would you just go already?" Before Itsuya could even begin to protest, he was through the doors and in the building.

Alone.

A second passed and his hands began to tremble. He had really hoped that someone else would've taken these inside. Why the hell had he lost at rock, paper, scissors?

He stood frozen to the spot, the emptiness of the lobby seeming to grow in his mind, consuming him. His legs began to tremble as well and he was about to turn around and run back outside where his teammates were…where he wouldn't be alone anymore, when a Chuunin walked down the stairs, puncturing a hole in this empty, lonely picture.

He suddenly came back to himself in all of half a second.

Itsuya straightened up and fled up the stairs, not bothering to make a noise as he slid past the Chuunin. The stairs wound up the length of the tower, passing by various rooms, but the Hokage's office was at the very top. He passed bore Jounins, Chuunins, and a few ANBU on his journey until he eventually reached the door.

Looking around hesitantly, Itsuya took a breath before knocking on the door of the strongest ninja in the village.

"Come in."

Itsuya pushed the door open and Sarutobi looked up from the scroll spread out before him. In Konoha there must be hundreds of kids, yet when Sarutobi looked at Itsuya, instant recognition flooded his face.

"Ah, Mira's boy!" He called out warmly as he pushed the chair away from the desk. For the first time, a smile lit Itsuya's face as he approached the old man. He bowed respectfully, an odd sight for anyone who would have seen him at the academy or with his team.

"Hokage-sama."

"What brings you here?" Sarutobi started before his smile fell. "There's not any more issues is there?"

Automatically Itsuya's free hand fell to the glove on his other hand as his own face fell, eyes flashing with mildly. Memories shot to the front of his mind, making him grit his teeth. "No. Nothing like that." He answered quietly, yet firmly.

"Forgive me for asking, the last time I saw you was-"

"I know!" Itsuya interrupted sharply. He knew when the last time they saw each other was, he didn't need to be reminded. He inhaled sharply, regaining himself after a second as the images of bodies lying at his feet left his mind.

"Sorry…" He mumbled, now irritated. He hadn't meant to have his mood take a turn for the worse when he came to see the old Hokage, a man he actually liked talking to.

"Are you sure you don't want to have it looked at again? Maybe they've thought of something else, something that can help you this time."

Itsuya shook his head firmly. "I'm ok, everythings fine now, I don't need help."

A second passed before Itsuya took in a shaky breath between his teeth in another attempt to gain composure. He needed to return back to his teammates and stop talking about all of this. "I just came to drop these off."

The letters were dropped onto Sarutobi's desk, the old man blinking in surprise. It was unusual for students to hand in their own registration slips instead of their instructors. Taking them up and reading them over, the old man raised a brow.

"Whose you're sensei?"

"Mitarashi Anko."

Ah. He could see her making her kids do this actually. With a sigh he opened his drawer and dropped them into the neat stack with the others.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinata was stumbling through her sentences at rapid speed as Naruto just sat in front of her, trying to listen as her words whizzed by like bullets through the air. Thankfully for her, since he often spoke fast when he got excited, he caught practically everything she said.

It was her nerves that were causing her to talk at such a speed since usually she couldn't utter a complete sentence in under two minutes around him.

After having woken up ten minutes after fainting in front of the poor boy, Hinata felt obligated to explain herself to him, though she fidgeted, fumbled, and blushed in embarrassment throughout the whole thing.

As she came to the end of her explanation, her voice dived to a tone that was too soft to be picked up until she just trailed off and stared at her lap miserably, tears clouding the corners of her eyes once again.

"That's all crap!"

The words were like a punch to a stomach, winding the girl as her wide eyes slid slowly up to Naruto's face.

Before she could say anything, he continued, standing as he did so.

"You're not a bad ninja, you can't be! I mean, you passed the Academy and you went on a C-rank mission before anyone else did!" Naruto explained, throwing his arms about.

He had never been told that when his cell fought those Iwa Nins, that had been considered an unofficial A-rank mission after the Hokage had been informed of all the details.

"B-but we f-f-failed." Hinata pointed out.

"But you were good enough to at least get a C-rank mission. I say if they don't think your good enough, you just prove them all wrong!" Naruto instructed, ignoring the small rise that was stirring inside of himself.

These were similar words he had often told himself as a child to stay focused on his dream as Hokage. To push forward and show those Villagers who he was.

"Train and get stronger! Show them how strong you can be Hinata!" He finished, a grin stretching across his face as determination burned in his eyes. It wavered slightly at the unsure doubt reflected in Hinata's pale orbs.

"Hinata?"

"I-I-I-I…" She stuttered, unsure how to respond. Her hands fisted on her lap as her head bowed. She had a warm glow inside at the praise he had previously bestowed upon her, it felt amazing having him actually listen to her and then praise her once she was done…but could she actually become a better ninja.

It seemed an impossible thing for her to do.

Her doubt and misery was eating the warm glow when Naruto crouched down in front of her, making her squeak and snap her head up, eyes unknowingly meeting his.

He smiled once again, not as big as before. "Come on Hinata. What do you say?"

Her doubt trembled under her gaze.

"I'll try."

And she would. For him. With all her heart.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was only two days before the Chuunin Exams were about to begin and ninjas from other villages were beginning to gather inside of Konoha. Those who had never seen other ninjas beside their own were staring intently at the new insignias branded on the forehead protectors that marched through the streets.

Naruto was elbowing Sasuke and pointing to a passing team from grass as team seven continued their D-rank mission of walking dogs. Sasuke idly glanced at the group before grunting and continuing on his way, not finding the same joy Naruto was at finding all the different insignias.

The day was passing and Naruto was becoming grouchy at Sasuke's lack of participation in his joy.

"Come on! Other ninjas!" He cried out as team 7 separated from their meeting place, finishing their series of D-rank missions Kakashi had forced them to do during the day. There had been a few mistakes since Naruto was only half paying attention, but Sasuke and Sakura had generally salvaged the missions by saving it at the last minute before Naruto's mistake could turn into a big disaster.

If Naruto was annoyed, Sasuke was close to fuming. Naruto from Sasuke's lack of joy, Sasuke from Naruto's stupidity.

"So what?" Sasuke quipped sharply.

"Ugh! You're no fun." The blond moaned, causing Sasuke to snort. The Uchiha left, headed towards some training grounds, determined to get in some last minute training before the big day, while Naruto turned to head towards the ramen stand.

Since living with Kyoko, he didn't eat every single meal at Ichiraku's, but it was still a general favourite, and if he had the choice, he would head there.

He walked down a few streets when the sound of a slight scuffle reached his ears, making him pause slightly. It wasn't really his problem, but curiosity got the better of him and made him walk down one more street and poke his head around the corner.

"Please! Let him go!" A high, feminine voice pleaded.

"Not until he says sorry." A deeper, distinctly older male, sneered.

"Sorry!" A younger male this time wheezed.

"Didn't sound sincere enough."

Naruto frowned darkly at the sight of a man dressed in all black, purple war paint covering his face, holding a boy no older than eight in the air by the collar of his shirt. The boy's legs were kicking about in a futile effort to hit the man or his arm, but it was out of his reach.

Next to the older man was a sandy blond girl dressed in purple, looking utterly bored with the situation. She made no move to do anything and just watched the scarf wearing child with disinterest.

"Konohamaru!"

On the ground two other children were gathered, an orange haired girl and a brown haired, glasses wearing boy. They looked distressed but knew they would be no match for the older man if they tried to actually do something about the situation.

Naruto couldn't just stand and watch.

"HEY!"

All eyes turned to him as he stomped out from around the corner, eyes glaring at the man in black. It was at that moment he noticed the Suna insignia carved into his forehead protector. Foreign ninjas.

The man's own eyes narrowed. "What do you want?" He asked rudely while the two kids on the ground seemed to recognize immediately that Naruto was on their side and rushed to his side. Must be some kind of child's intuition or something.

"I think you should put the kid down now." Naruto growled. He didn't want to fight the guy since he was holding the boy and it could to lead to injury for the boy as well, but if he was careful, he might be able to pull it off.

The female besides the painted ninja decided to speak up. "Come on Kankuro, I'm bored." She grumbled, placing a hand on her hip. His eyes slid over to her briefly.

"Shut up Temari." He hissed.

"We're not supposed to be making a scene, Baki's orders." She reminded, but Kankuro bluntly ignored her. When he turned back to Naruto, she rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest and leaned on the fencing beside them. His actions weren't her problem now.

"So, what are you going to do if I don't let him go?" Kankuro smirked as he lifted Konahomaru higher, the brunette boy wincing in pain.

"Attack him." Kyuubi's voice whispered like lightning in his mind as Naruto felt himself snarling despite himself. It sounded almost animalistic, something that only the Kyuubi could make.

Then…the sound was repeated.

But it wasn't made by Naruto.

Kankuro and Temari froze, eyes widening to an unimaginable size as their heads slowly turned to the tree on Kankuro's side. There was movement before a boy with crimson hair appeared next to Kankuro, the symbol for love tattooed on his forehead looking disfigured as his forehead crinkled in a scowl.

The sudden action made Kankuro's grip slacken and Konahomaru fell to the ground roughly. The moment he hit the ground, he scrambled to his feet and bolted to Naruto's side, beside his friends.

Naruto didn't even see that. His eyes were locked on the burning teal eyes across from him, the two boys seemed to be in a trance.

Then, as if someone snapped their fingers, the Kyuubi's voice was booming through his head, wiping all his thoughts from his mind and making him snarl loudly as heat rushed like fire through his veins, his eyes flickering between blue and red.

"ICHIBI! HE'S THE ICHIBI! GET HIM! GET HIM, GET HIM, GET HIM! HE'S THE ICHIBI! A BIJUU! ICHIBI! GET HIM! JUST GET HIM! HE'S WEAKER THAN ME! I WILL RULE OVER HIM! MAKE HIM BLEED! GET HIM!"

Kankuro and Temari were terrified as they watched Gaara match the blond boy's snarling, the sand in his gourd rattling against it's cork while the whites of his eyes fought between turning black as the Ichibi began to wail in his head as well, the two Jinchuuriki's struggling to remain in control of themselves.

"KYUUBI! IT'S THE KYUUBI! FIGHT HIM! GET HIM! KYUUBI, HAHAHAHAHAHA! WE'LL GET HIM WHILE HE'S TRAPPED IN THAT BODY! CRUSH HIM! CRUSH THE KYUUBI! FIGHT! DO IT NOW! BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

It was Naruto who diffused the situation as he clutched at his head, still baring his forming fangs, and wrenched his eyes closed.

"SHUT UP!"

There was a sudden crash as he took his own head and crashed it against the fence nearest to him, which happened to be the one on Kankuro's side. The wooden splintered and cracked visibly as Naruto panted, blood trickling from the side of his face.

But the Kyuubi was silent.

He opened his eyes and watched as Gaara clutched at his own head before crouching down and muttering vicious incoherent words. After a minute his tense body relaxed and he began panting like Naruto had.

Ever so slowly his eyes rose to meet Naruto's, a dangerous expression on his face. Teamri and Kankuro were being careful around him, a good distance away from him in case he should relapse and decide to kill them in a blink of an eye.

"You…what's you name?" He demanded coldly as he stood up, watching as Naruto pulled his head away from the fence, rubbing it from where it had impacted.

"Namikaze Naruto." He replied carefully, eyeing the man in front of him as the Kyuubi's words echoed in his head. "What's yours?"

"Sabaku no Gaara."

The two stared at each other a second longer before Gaara spoke again. "Are you in the Chuunin Exams?" He asked, an unrecognizable emotion underlying his question. Naruto couldn't pick it out but his siblings could and they paled, sending Naruto fearful looks.

It had been bloodlust.

"Yes, I am."

Gaara grunted in satisfaction and turned, walking away from the blond jinchuuriki. Temari and Kankuro followed after him in a frightened manner.

He would wait then.

But the moment that they were officially allowed to go at each other, there was no holding back.

There would be blood.
Phase One by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 30: Phase One
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haku tried to keep his composure while at the same time, reigning in his curiosity. He still held absolutely no trust for Kabuto at all, but the simple tin pail sitting harmlessly on the balcony of the hotel room they were occupying was distracting him, pulling at the corner of his mind.

Why was it there?

What was it's purpose?

He had watched Kabuto purposefully put it there and dump half, if not most, of the liquid contained in those vials, into the simple bucket.

Then he just left it. He left it to sit in the rays of the afternoon sun and it was confusing the hell out of Haku. He was almost certain that that liquid was vital to their precious mission. It was one of the reasons they were here, wasn't it?

He didn't want to outright ask Kabuto what he was doing because he knew he probably wouldn't get the answer he was looking for. It would be something vague and infuriating.

He couldn't ask Yoroi, the other member of their team for two reasons. The first being that he probably didn't know, and the second being that the stupid guy didn't care about anything going on.

"Since the exam isn't until tomorrow, I'm going out to do a quick errand." Kabuto explained, his voice bringing Haku around.

Damn. He had been staring at the pail again.

"Won't that be suspicious since we're not from here?" Yoroi asked though there wasn't a hint of real concern in his voice. His words droned on really.

"We have our Konoha disguises. Everything's set." Kabuto affirmed as he gestured to the Konoha forehead protectors they all adorned. Haku grimaced as he remembered the brand now placed upon his head.

He had always been proud to wear the same symbol as Zabuza, but now he was forced to wear the treacherous symbol of another village. He didn't like it at all. Kabuto opened the door to leave and Haku's attention was perked as he glimpsed three vials tucked away into his belt.

The silver haired medic paused in the doorway, his parting words driving Haku insane with questions that burned for answers.

"Don't touch the pail."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto pulled the stopper from the third vial he brought with him, his eyes flickering towards the mass of water that sat below him as he did so. To some, the layout of Konoha may seem strange and rather confusing, but that really wasn't the case. It was actually a very basic system and it didn't take Kabuto long to find the plant that fed fresh, clean drinking water through all the pipes that ran throughout the village.

He didn't bother to see if anyone to catch him, the security for the plant was lacking severely. It was obvious where Konoha's priorities were.

Turning the bottle upside down, he watched from the catwalk high above as the liquid fell into the water below, mixing unnoticed into the water.

"That should be enough for now." He mused to himself as he replaced the stopper to the now empty vial, pocketing it with the other two.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sasuke was brooding to himself as he tried to rub his side with as much subtly as he could muster, the Uchiha not wanting to let Naruto or Sakura know that it still hurt where Rock Lee had kicked him.

The stupid, thick eye browed man kicked a lot harder than he let on.

After entering the building where phase one of the exam was going to be held, and passing the two Jounins posing as participants, they had ran into Rock Lee, a green spandex, bowl cut wearing man with a weird infatuation with Sakura.

He had wanted to fight Sasuke since he was the last Uchiha, Sakura staying out of the fight because Lee scared her and Naruto staying out of the fight with a simple shrug and the excuse that Lee hadn't challenged him so he wouldn't butt in.

Not that Sasuke's pride would've allowed either of them to help out with a one on one fight. No, but both his body and his ego took a bit of a beating and he was in a foul mood because of it.

Naruto was grinning tauntingly at him and Sasuke just wanted to either pound him into the ground or yell at him. Both options were looking very tempting any moment as Sasuke caught Naruto grinning again as they walked through the halls.

He decided for yelling.

"Would you stop that!" He snapped.

"Stop what?" Naruto asked innocently, blinking at his teammate. Sasuke's anger bubbled. He did not want to have to deal with Naruto right now, couldn't he just disappear for a couple of days and reappear once Sasuke wasn't dealing with a bruised ego?

Since he couldn't, Sasuke just continued to seethe, eyes narrowing dangerously. "You know what I mean."

"C-Come on you two." Sakura tried nervously from where she stood behind them. Now really wasn't the time to be arguing with each other.

The two ignored her and continued until a full out argument was started as they turned the corner, neither of the three noticing the silver haired Jounin that stood before the door ahead of them. His shoulders sagged visibly at their antics.

"Alright…" He sighed, stepping forward and catching their attention. "What happened?"

"Sasuke's just upset because he got his ass handed to him." Naruto huffed, rolling his eyes as he continued walking, placing himself smartly, yet casually, behind Kakashi to avoid Sasuke as he lunged at him in his anger.

"I'm going to kill you." The Uchiha promised as Kakashi held a hand out and kept the snarling brunette at bay.

He momentarily wondered if his team would ever get along perfectly. It seemed like they were destined to be at each others throat over one thing or another.

"You can kill him later Sasuke. You guys have an exam to take." Kakashi placated calmly, watching with satisfaction as resolve formed on Sasuke's face as he withdrew himself from Kakashi's reach.

He growled his consent, eyes glaring past Kakashi and boring into Naruto. "Fine."

Turning, Kakashi found Naruto sticking his tongue out at Sasuke from behind the protection of his back. Sighing, Kakashi hit him lightly over the head, causing him to bite his tongue and wince in pain.

"Naruto, smarten up and don't die in there." He advised as Naruto rubbed his jaw. Sakura straightened as his gaze settled on her. "Sakura, please keep them from killing each other."

Her eyes flickered between her two male teammates and she inwardly sagged under the difficulty of the task.

"I'll try."

"It won't be easy." She thought wearily.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping into room 301 was like stepping into a sea of people. All of whom were older, bigger, and just plain stronger looking than the trio who were immediately taken aback by the number of participants.

"Just look at all these people." Sakura whispered in amazement, eyes wide. Nerves started to chew at her as she stared out at all of them, the different insignias staring back at her.

She looked to her side and saw that even Naruto and Sasuke looked a little startled.

Then Sasuke was attacked…

By Ino.

"Sasuke-kun! I knew you would come!" The blond cried as she launched herself at the brunette, arms winding around his neck from behind, Sasuke stiffening before glaring at the unwelcome contact.

"Get off." He growled, pushing her away.

"Aww, Sasuke-kun!" Ino whined as she tumbled away from him, blatantly ignoring the smug smirk that Sakura was giving her.

"Take that Ino." She thought. "Sasuke doesn't want you near him."

"You're too troublesome Ino."

"Can it Shikamaru!" She snapped as the other members of team 10 appeared, a bored look on the Shikamaru's face and a content look on Chouji's as he ate his chips without remorse.

"So you guys are in this thing too?" Naruto asked earning a sigh from Shikamaru.

"Unfortunatley." He muttered in distaste. "It's not really my thing though."

"Shikamaru, waking up really isn't your thing. You'd probably be happy in a coma." Ino quipped smartly, rolling her eyes. Chouji snorted in laughter but Shikamaru didn't try to defend himself.

His laziness was well known.

It was then that a loud shout made the Genin's look behind them to the still open doors.

"WATCH OUT!"

Naruto was just barely able to react in time to snag Kyoko's arm as she ploughed into his side in a failed attempt to stop herself, the male preventing the two from tumbling to the ground.

Itsuya would've tumbled to the ground in his attempt to stop so suddenly had he not snatched at Kyoko's other arm, his front jerking forward and getting dangerously close to the ground, though the two did not meet.

Sakura gave a grunt as Roku collided into her, the pinkette wheeling backwards but catching her balance as Ino caught her shoulders while Roku remained standing, though staggering where he stood.

"I told you we shouldn't have ran!" Itsuya snapped as he straightened up, releasing his death hold on Kyoko's arm. The slightly winded blond righted herself as well before bothering to answer him.

"We were late. What did you want us to do?" Kyoko replied with a scowl. "Fly? Teleport? Please Itsuya, tell me what you wanted!"

The two glared at each other, the tension for the day already high seeing how they had started the first day of the Chuunin exams on the wrong foot by being late. Roku butted in with a groan.

He was already irked enough at being dragged into this Chuunin Exam thing, he didn't want them making his life hell by being at each others throat.

"Enough you guys." He ordered sternly as he planted a hand on their shoulders and firmly pushed them even further apart from each other.

"Yes, please quiet down. Rookies, geez. This isn't a damn picnic so keep it down." A silver haired teen interrupted as he walked towards the group, his face twisted into one of displeasure.

Of course Itsuya had something to say to that.

But Ino beat him to it.

She did not like being talked down to, no matter who was the one doing it. Popping her hip out and placing her hand on it, she let her eyes scan over the person in front of her before her nose wrinkled, disgust coating her words.

"And who do you think you are?" talking to me like that?" She finished in her head, irritation buzzing at the outskirts of her voice. Kabuto met her stare and irritation flashed in his own gaze before vanishing.

His words were clipped and emotionless, as if he had suddenly masked himelf from them. "I'm Kabuto." Jerking his head to the mass of people behind them, he continued speaking. "But take a look behind you if you really want to continue your childish little antics."

"Childish!" Sakura cried out in anger, Ino's eyes narrowing into slits. She didn't like this guy. Grudgingly, they all followed his advice and peered behind them.

Glares were drilling holes into them from all sides of the room, Sakura flinching before shrinking back, Ino glaring back challenging, while most of the others just frowned. Naruto's eyes scanned the crowd before familiar teal eyes locked with his and his mouth instantly snapped back into a faint snarl, Kyuubi's voice beginning to murmur unintelligible things in his head.

The crimson boy across the room was mirroring him, his teammates fluttering at his side because of his sudden change.

Naruto was lost for a second, the sound of Kyuubi's voice whispering to him filling his brain. A rumble started in his throat, a sign that he wanted to fight, but he pushed it down. Maybe it was because there was a room full of people between them, or maybe it was because it was the second time it was happening, but Naruto felt his impulse to attack more subdued, Kyuubi's voice sounding farther away.

How come he was affected like this? Was it truly because Kyuubi claimed this boy was the Ichibi? But what reason was that to attack him?

Surely it was a senseless, blood filled one that could only be rationalized by a demon.

Yet Naruto couldn't help a part of himself feel drawn to the prospect.

"-uto? Naruto?"

"What? Huh?" He snapped around suddenly as a hand tugged on his arm, the growl that he had unknowingly been emitting cutting off in an instant. Several eyes of his friends were looking at him, only a few listening as Kabuto continued to talk away. He was showing them something to do with cards and villages.

Kyoko was frowning from where she stood next to him, her hand still fisted in his shirt sleeve. Ever so slowly, an eyebrow quirked and her voice came out as casually as she could make it. "Are you alright? You're growling at the air."

"Yeah no, I'm fine." Naruto lied as he turned back around, big smile fixing itself onto his face. She looked at him suspiciously for a second before turning back to Kabuto, taking place at Ino's side since they hadn't seen each other since the Academy days.

Even if they had to listen to Kabuto talk away.

Glancing around Naruto caught Sasuke's eye, the Uchiha giving him a disbelieving look before letting his black eyes flick quickly into the crowd where Naruto had been so intensely staring.

They then flicked back to him and Naruto's eyes hardened, lips pressing together tightly.

'It's nothing.' He mouthed, glaring at the Uchiha who was quick to glare back, the response in his very nature, before he turned away.

But he didn't let it go. Ever since the festival night four years ago, he never let anything Naruto did go.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morino Ibiki's instructions were rolling through everyone's head as they looked over their exam papers, utter silence filling the room. The fact that the first phase of the exam was a written test had taken many people by surprise, minus those who had taken the test before and failed.

After a second, there was the faint noise of pencil scratching against paper emitting from a chosen few people.

"Hell…" Sakura whispered as she looked through all the questions. They were all extremely hard questions and took extreme book smarts and work to figure out. She doubted that very many people here could actually figure them out.

She glanced at Naruto briefly.

He was so dead.

Biting her lip, she returned her attention back to the questions before her. She slowly broke it down in her head and the sound of her pencil scratching against the paper soon joined the few others in the room. She would never get mad at her parents for making her do her homework ever again.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto was panicking. What the hell should he do? He couldn't answer any of these questions! Damn, why hadn't he tried more during the Academy? What could he do?

He didn't want to risk getting caught cheating because then he would lose points and Sasuke and Sakura would suffer because of it.

And then they would kill him.

Sasuke for sure this time. He had already promised Naruto that he would kill him and if Naruto screwed this up, Sasuke might just actually follow through with his promise.

He was pulling at his hair, ready to rip it from his skull as the words on his test swirled in front of his eyes.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyoko was in a similar state. From where she was seated in front of Sasuke, Kyoko had one fist in her hair, the other clutching a lollipop like a life line while she glared at the paper in front of her.

She wasn't panicking, oh no. Instead she was getting angry. Who on Earth made tests this ridiculously hard? It was impossible! There was no way she could figure this out. How dare they give her a test this hard.

She glowered murderously at her desk while the seconds ticked by.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sasuke smirked as the point of the test dawned on him, his pencil resting loosely in his hand from lack of use.

This test was to show how well they could collect information. It was an interesting prospect and clearly, a well thought out one. But without cheating, only those with an insane amount of intellect could figure out these questions. Sasuke hated to admit it, but he couldn't answer them.

His eyes roamed over the rest of the room. He nodded slightly to himself as he saw Sakura scribbled away onto her paper. She may not have much worth in fighting matches, but he couldn't deny her knowledge.

If her taijutsu was as high as her smarts, she would probably be a very formidable opponent.

When his eyes fell on Naruto, he mentally cringed. The blond was digging himself a mental grave, looking ready to commit suicide as he freaked out over the test. Sasuke prayed with all that he had that Naruto figured out that he had to cheat, and could actually cheat without getting caught before time ran out.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kankuro looked over at Gaara, watching to see if his brother was already on the move. The puppet master knew that he himself should be moving soon, but he wanted to check with Gaara to make sure the red head understood what exactly was happening.

Gaara had two fingers pressed to left eye, a jutsu buzzing to life, though if Kankuro hadn't of grown up with Gaara, he wouldn't of known. Blinking, he looked around the room, trying to pick up on Gaara's target.

Surely he could see who that was before leaving the room to get the answers for this stupid test.

"Agh, there's dust in my eye."

He should've known.

Rows ahead, the orange clad blond was rubbing at his eye in agitation, sand particles forming in the air to create a tiny eye, practically invisible to those not looking for it. Ever since coming to Konoha, Gaara had had a weird fascination with that boy.

It looked at the blonde's page for only a second before Gaara stiffened, the eye dissolving into nothing a mere second later. Kankuro decided then and there that he should really start on his own cheating ways. Why? Because he recognized the look of agitation that flashed in Gaara's eyes.

He guessed that this Naruto person had nothing on his paper as well.

Maybe he wasn't such a threat after all.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This test should've been years ahead of him, Itsuya knew that. But he wasn't considered a prodigy just because of his fighting abilities. When he had been confined to the hospital for mental trauma and instability after the death of his biological family, a day he begged to forget with his very being, the nurses provided him with books as a means to pass the time and take his mind off things.

This was before his foster family took him in.

They were all text books covering various subjects. Some meaningless and others helping him with these very questions he was answering right now.

His free hand drummed his fingers on his thigh as he wrote on the paper, pausing now and then to consider the question or his answer.

The blond male beside him, Naruto, looked like he was going to have an ulcer any second, Itsuya letting a fleeting moment of smugness wash over him as he finished answering question six.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time was passing, nearing the end before the tenth question would be released. Those who had figured out the meaning of the test were finishing up their tests while those smart enough to actually do the test were sitting quietly, awaiting the tenth question, or were oblivious to the fact that the were being cheated off of.

Neji's Byakugan had seen right through Itsuya's back and copied all his answers, the child's defence of hunching himself over his finished test a useless effort. Sasuke's Sharingan was copying the movement of various hands as they moved about writing, his hand mimicking their motions and copying down their answers onto his own sheet of paper without even looking down.

Now he was watching his friends with boredom. Sakura had finished way before him, though he was oblivious to the fact that she was currently suffering from Ino's jutsu, the Yamanaka currently invading her mind and looking over her answers.

Naruto looked to have done nothing the whole time, his head resting defeated on top of his desk. Sasuke shook his head mildly when small movements in front of him caught his attention.

Kyoko's pencil was moving.

Curiosity poked at him. How was she cheating? She was looking straight down, and didn't appear to be cheating at all, though then again, neither did most people taking this stupid test. But she hadn't been doing anything this whole time, just like her brother.

He was beginning to believe that stupidity might just run in the family.

Moving his pencil to the margins of his paper, Sasuke activated his Sharingan and copied her pencil with ease, his brain not really registering what he was writing. It was when it stilled that he chanced a glance down and felt like smacking himself…and her.

She was making up answers.

"Moron." He growled to himself.

It was then that Ibiki's voice rang out through the room, his ever watchful eyes drinking in the sight of the people before him. "It is now time for the tenth question. But there are some Before I begin, I'd like to go over the added rules for this question." He started.

A few people groaned at the fact that there were more rules to abide by, but Ibiki continued, ignoring them and their protests.

"The first rules is that you Have to decided whether you wish to take it or not. If you wish not to, your points will be reduced to zero and your teammates will be disqualified along with you."

"The hell man!" Someone shouted out in rage from the back of the room.

"But if you choose to take it and answer incorrectly…that person will lose the right to ever take the Chuunin Exams ever again."

There was a loud thud in the room, Kyoko fallen from her chair and now seated on the floor, face pale.

But her lack of balance was barely caught as the room exploded in an uproar, people standing from their seats and yelling at the scarred man who stood calmly at the front of the room.

"WHAT?"

"YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?"

"WHAT BULLSHIT! THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WHO HAVE TAKEN THE EXAM MORE THAN ONCE!"

Ibiki's laughter cut through the noise like a knife, his shoulders shaking before he threw his head back and actually laughed. It was a rather disturbing sound when it came from someone like him. "You guys were just unlucky. This year it's my rules." Eyes gleaming with mirth, he continued before the uproar could rise once again. "If you simply wish to back out and try again next year, please raise your hand. When you're numbers been confirmed, you and your teammates may exit the room."

There was a silence over the room before slowly, hands rose into the air, numbers being called out as people rose from their desks, exiting the room in defeated silence.

Sakura bit her lip so hard she thought she could taste blood in her mouth. Her hands were curled into fists on her lap, unwavering as she stomped on her doubt. She could answer his question…she was sure that she could. She was probably one of the few people in this room who had actually done that test.

She could handle any question he dared to dish out.

Her eyes flickered a few rows behind her to find Sasuke, his face set into a determined scowl, but his hands unmoving where they were placed on his desk. His eyes locked with her for a moment and his head dipped in the faintest notion of a nod, his shoulders tensing.

He wasn't backing down.

She gave a slight nod back. She wasn't going to either.

As if in unison, their gazes turned to Naruto. Even from where they sat, they could see the tension humming through his body as he sat rigid in his seat. His head was dipped down and his hands were gripping the edge of the desk with such ferocity, his knuckles were white.

He looked like he was going to explode.

Sakura didn't know how he would answer the question if it turned out to be a complex problem, and she didn't want him to remain a Genin forever, it almost seemed easier if he tried again next year and just raised his hand for now, but deep in her heart, a part of her didn't want him to raise his hand.

Was she selfish?

But he kept silent as team after team, people left the room.

Roku was frowning as he watched people around him leave. He would've followed after them in a heartbeat, but he was cursed with a good heart. Itsuya's eyes were practically burning with such a fierce determination that Roku, although he never truly got along with the younger male, hesitated in standing in his way.

But it was seeing Kyoko, hunched over her desk and scowling defiantly at it's surface, that made up his mind, and kept his hand from rising into the air. He couldn't take this opportunity from his teammates, not when both Kyoko and Itsuya were determined to do something. It had to be a team effort or else everything would go to shambles.

And he couldn't consciously let everything go to shambles.

It was the same reason he had come to this darn thing in the first place.

Ibiki's eyes swept over the room as the absence of raised hands became apparent, the shuffling of people trying to get out of the room now gone. There were gaping holes in the seating plan as only a few teams remained. There had to be about twenty in total.

Good, the numbers had dwindled drastically.

"This is your last chance to back out." He called out, inwardly smirking as multiple defiant, and determined, eyes burned holes into him. They weren't backing down.

His eyes gleamed, the corners of his mouth turning upright. His next words shocked and confused all those who were sitting there, listening intently to everything that fell from his lips.

"Congratulations for passing phase one of the Chuunin Exams."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anko watched boredly from the window as Ibiki continued to talk on and on. It was unbelievable how much that guy could talk, considering who it was. You never would've guessed. He needed to just hurry up and shut up so she could make her entrance, she had made sure to make it spectacular.

Frustration began to grow inside of her, her eyes narrowing into slits. Her limbs began to ache from being crouched on the windowsill placed on the opposite building before she let her frustration take hold of her.

"Screw it, I don't care anymore."

She pushed off, curling into a ball as she barrelled through the window of the other building, the glass shattering noisily Kunais embedded into the walls and the ceiling as she unfurled herself, the banner she had made stretching out across the front of the classroom.

No, banner didn't seem to be the right word. It was more like a sheet, big enough to hide Ibiki from view, which it did. Anko's name was scrawled across the banner in big letters, letting all those in the room read it carefully.

Anko straightened up with a snap and team 1 paled visibly, Kyoko shrinking in her seat.

"There's no time for celebrating! I'm Mitarashi Anko, your examiner for phase two of the exams!" She cried out as she raised a fist into the air. "Everyone, follow me!"

Kyoko tried to slide even lower in her seat, shoulders hunched up by her ears.

"We're doomed. We're so doomed."
Phase Two (1) by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: I couldn't remember if the Grass Nin that Orochimaru impersonated was a girl or a guy so I just went with girl. Oh well, whatever works I guess.

Man, I got this one out faster than normal! The writing juices must really be flowing!

Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 31: Phase Two (1)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone rose from their desks to follow after the purple haired kunoichi, meeting up with their teammates once again as they did so. Team 7 started slightly as Kyoko pushed herself in the middle of their triangle, ducking and hiding behind Naruto.

"Hide me." She pleaded as she tried to shrink behind her twin.

"Huh, why?" Sakura asked from where she flanked the female's right side, Sasuke flanking her left, coincidentally giving her the hiding space she needed.

"Anko's our Jounin instructor and we…uh…we sort of came here without her permission." She admitted as she carefully peaked over Naruto's shoulder, the group still walking towards the exit of the room.

"What? Can you do that? I don't think you can do that." Sakura cried out, remembering to keep her voice down the minute the words came out of her mouth. She didn't get to hear Kyoko's response though. Kyoko was suddenly spotted by her teammates who were quick to come over, hunching their shoulders while ducking.

"I told you it was a bad idea coming here." Roku informed as he neared.

"Yes, we get it, you never wanted to come." Kyoko sighed before her gaze found Itsuya's. "Should we just run for the exit and hope she doesn't see us?"

"Are you nuts? We still have to follow her to the site so even if we did get out of the room without her seeing us, we still have to trail after her. No, we have to stay hidden and hope she doesn't see us." He concluded, Kyoko nodding in consent.

It felt a little odd conversing like this with Itsuya, it almost seemed like he was their leader, which was really strange considering he was the younger one.

"Stop crowding around us." Sasuke hissed in irritation as his shoulder bumped against Roku's arm, team 1 trying to hide within the confines of their group and failing for the most part. Roku was too tall that he really couldn't hide behind anyone and although Itsuya was short, he was out to the side because Kyoko had taken the space in the middle.

"Fine. It'll be less suspicious if we're spread out around the room anyways." Itsuya conceded before he left the group and blended in seamlessly with a passing group of ninjas who didn't even notice he had mingled with them.

Roku grudgingly left as well, finding his own people to hide with, Kyoko relaxing as her chances for being caught slimmed. She didn't even want to think about what Anko would do if she caught them here.

"Thanks you guys. Anko's kind of…scary is the only word really."

"No problem." Naruto chirped back, his mood lifted drastically now that phase one of the test was over. They walked in silence as they followed Anko outside, winding through streets and around corners until they began heading towards the training grounds. Kyoko's brow began to furrow in slight recognition.

When the tops of the trees came into sight, guarded by an unmistakable chain link fence, Kyoko staggered back.

"No…please no…"

Anko turned to the group of shinobis as they spilled out in front of the fence, murmuring to each other as they tried to look at the insane foliage that was encompassing the space behind the fence. Anko grinned brightly at the few scared faces that she could glimpse in the crowd.

"Welcome to the forest of death!" She declared happily, as if she had bestowed the greatest gift of the world upon them.

And knowing her, that might just be the case.

"This place looks creepy." Sakura whispered, cringing as the sound of a dying animal howled through the air, the noise it was making echoing through the trees.

"You have no idea." Kyoko muttered, all the energy in her body now gone. She wished she could see Itsuya and Roku to gauge their reactions right now at coming back to this horrid place. It must be driving Itsuya insane, not being able to blow their cover by shouting out all the problems he had with coming back here.

"Unfortunatley, before we can start with phase two, you all have to sign these agreement forms." Anko said loudly, holding up big stacks of paper up over her head for everyone to see. "Because people will die in this test so if you don't sign this, I'll get blamed and we can't have that."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto was barely listening as the purple haired instructor explained the rules to them, a heaven and earth scroll displayed in her hands. It really wasn't any concern to him if he actually completed this phase of the exam or not, he had only been instructed by Orochimaru to get this far.

He knew what he was doing.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as the people around him began dispersing, getting agreement forms and getting together in their own groups to talk. He figured the explanation was over.

"Yoroi, go get our slips." He instructed, the tall man sighing in annoyance before leaving to follow orders.

"Haku." Kabuto called out to the brunette who stood beside him, the 15-year-old's face an emotionless mask. Or at least it was whenever he was around Kabuto. But that was fine with him, he didn't care much for the boy either.

"Yes?" Haku replied, eyes sliding over to look at him. There was hostility buried in those brown orbs, but it was controlled for the most part.

"You know what it is you have to do once we get in the forest?" Kabuto questioned, keeping his tone light in case passer-by's were listening to them. Haku blinked, sifting through his memories, before he nodded.

"I came along to fight with this Uchiha Sasuke person. You want me to test his strength." Haku muttered back. "Though I don't even know what he looks like."

Kabuto smirked then. He had researched everyone who would be taken part in this exam, and since this Sasuke kid seemed to have caught Orochimaru's eye, he had taken extra time to look at his file. Not to mention that he had ran into him in the waiting room before phase one started.

"He's the brunette in the blue shirt over there." Kabuto pointed out, jerking his head purposefully behind the fake hunter nin. Haku turned, eyes raking through the crowd before he found his target.

He was young, younger than himself. But then again, that didn't always mean much when it came to skill.

He could still be a threat.

As if the raven haired preteen could tell someone was staring at him, he turned and their eyes locked for not even a second, before he turned away, diverted by whatever it was the blond female by him was saying.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anko watched as people began to scribble away on the agreement forms, a few teams already heading towards the booth to get their appointed scroll. She wondered how many teams would reach the tower in the center of the training ground before the five days were up. Would any of these people die, fighting for the honour to become a Chuunin?

Probably.

She tried to assess the teams with only her eyes. Well trained ninjas knew how to hide their flaws from prying eyes, but all these people before her were merely Genins, their weakness on display for her and her ever careful eyes.

That's when a trio of people huddled close together caught her attention. Or rather, the short one's camo jacket did.

She straightened, blinking as recognition flared inside of her.

Stealthy as a cat, she manoeuvred through the crowd towards her oblivious team, her lips breaking out into a vicious grin as her eyes gleamed. Her jacket swirled after her before she was only a stride away from them.

She closed that distance without so much as a sound, a kunai coming into her right hand.

Itsuya stiffened as a hand fisted in his hair, yanking his head back while a kunai pressed dangerously into his throat. Kyoko made a surprised noise that she quickly muffled with her hand and Roku visibly jumped.

"I don't remember letting you guys come here." Anko started, her tone falsely bright and casual. If it was this easy for her to sneak up on them, they would seriously die in there.

Though that really wasn't any of her concern.

"A-Anko-sensei!" Kyoko squeaked before she cleared her throat, making her voice even. "We uh…"

"How did you guys enter? You need to be registered to take the test and I never did it. I skipped the day they held the meeting." Anko continued as if Kyoko had never spoke. She actually remembered specifically skipping that day because if she had never skipped that day, she never would've been stuck being an examiner for this exam.

"We are registered." Roku said quickly before anyone could stop him. The words just flew out of his mouth like bullets. "We handed in the registration slips you threw in the trash, forging your signature so that we could enter." He continued, ignoring the fierce glare Itsuya was giving him.

"You wouldn't survive under torture." Itsuya hissed before grimacing as Anko tightened her hold on his hair.

Then…she laughed.

It was terrifying and the last thing they expected.

She let go of Itsuya, the child staggering forward before wedging himself safely between Kyoko and Roku for safety, and lowered her kunai. People around them glanced at the woman momentarily before resuming what they were doing. Her laughter subsided after a moment and she looked them over, eyes bright.

"So, you think you're ready to be Chuunins huh? You'll just go around my back and do things anyways. Fine then, take the damn exam." She said before her voice lowered to a frightening tone, her smile stretching to a horrific size.

"Consider this your punishment."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People began to head towards their designated gates, their scrolls hidden safely within their group. Each group was accompanied by an examiner who lumbered with them to unlock the monstrous gates when Anko gave the command.

The males of team 7 were shifting about restlessly in front of their gate while Sakura made sure the scroll was hidden safely on her person. Team 1 was staring at the gate with a grudging look as they hesitantly dragged their feet up to the entrance, once again emitting themselves to the horrors of the forest.

Kabuto was making his way to his designated gate where Haku and Yoroi were already waiting when a tall grass nin female brushed by his shoulder. If he were in town, he would've just dismissed it as an accident, but here, in the middle of the Chuunin exams, there weren't any.

His eyes slid to hers, his hostility and suspicion apparent in his black eyes, when he blinked, caught off guard.

"Forgive me." She replied, touching the wide brimmed straw hat that was situated on her head. But even the way she spoke, hissing her words like a reptile, made the silver haired male pause momentarily before he grinned back disarmingly.

"Of course. No harm done" He spoke before he let his eyes take over the grass nin's body. "I'm just a little…surprised to run into someone like you." He continued lightly. He had to be careful with his words so as not to blow his masters cover.

For a moment, the woman's pupils slitted as she grinned, a grin that only Orochimaru could master. "I just thought I would come watch for myself. It was too tempting to pass up."

Kabuto considered those words carefully. Watch the Chuunin exams, or watch Haku fight Sasuke?

Either way, Orochimaru was going to be lingering in the forest with them. Watching them.

"Of course, I understand." He nodded back.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GO!"

The gates all lurched open and the teams disappeared into the forest with breakneck speed and a flash of color.

All but one.

Team 1 lagged their feet as they entered the forest in a depressed and angry walk, the people holding the gate open giving them questioning looks but saying nothing as they eventually went through their designated gate.

The dangerous aura of the forest only seemed to increase as the very real possibility of enemies at all sides sunk into everyone residing in it's confines. Some teams were heading straight towards the tower, hoping to place traps there for whoever finished and began to head there, seeing how the tower was the final destination.

Others began to hunt down offending teams in search for the scroll that would complete their set, using what skills they could to try and track down the other participants.

Some were slightly derailed by the wildlife that lived in the forest.

And some weren't even playing the game.

The male gurgled pitifully, blood bubbling up in his throat and coating his teeth as it pooled in his mouth. His bones were crushing together, his ribs grinding together before a loud crack permitted through the air, snapping the bones in his torso.

"Gaara!" Temari called out, her voice trying to be scolding, but failing as it trembled. She hated the Sabaku Kyuu (Desert Coffin) because she always knew what came next.

The sand that encased all but the man's head crept up like bugs around his neck before enveloping his head, hiding his bulging eyes and gaping face from their sight.

Gaara was unchanging as the open hand he held out in front of him suddenly fisted. "Sabaku Sousou (Desert Funeral)!" He announced, watching as the sand constricted before crushing in the same motion his hand had.

Blood sprayed out from between the grains, dotting the ground before Gaara let his sand return to his gourd strapped to his back. The disfigured body was dropped to the ground where it joined it's comrades.

Temari wanted to gag.

The smell of blood was nauseating. It polluted the air…she could taste it in her mouth. It made her stomach roll and her nostrils flare, her grip on her fan tightening to keep her focused.

She glanced at Kankuro, standing by her side. The puppet master looked as pleased as she did, but like her, did nothing. They always did nothing when it came to Gaara. What could they do? He would just crush them like he did them.

Then Kankuro started forward, surprising the blond 15-year-old.

"Kankuro, what are you doing?"

He only continued to walk towards the bodies, still moving when even Gaara's eyes settled on him. He then knelt down and fumbled through their clothes, making quick work of the process. After a second, he held up the other team's scroll.

"It's the same as ours. It's a dud." He announced with a frown. Temari inwardly marvelled at the man who was her brother. Here he was, still focused on the Chuunin exams when she couldn't even get past the stench of blood sifting through the air.

Then Gaara spoke, for once not threatening to kill them. "Good."

And they just stared at him. At times Temari wished she could look into her youngest brothers head, just to be able to understand him and all the weird, maniacal stuff he did. But then, once those rare fleeting occasions left, she realized she would be too scared to.

The red head turned and began walking leaving them among the blood spattered forest floor.

The Ichibi still howled for blood and Gaara had no intention of diverging from his path for some stupid scroll. He would get blood. Those pathetic ninjas weren't enough to calm the beast inside of him.

No.

He knew who he needed to hunt.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far no one had attacked them. Sakura wasn't sure whether she was reassured or nervous by this. Who knew whether they were being watched at this very moment by a team of enemy ninjas waiting for the perfect time to strike. Waiting for them to sleep so that they could come and slit their throats.

Or pick them off one by one like some horror book that she had read once upon a time.

…or maybe there really was no one near them right now.

There was just to many chances and if's to really put one's mind at eases, forcing Sakura's senses to be on full alert, jumping at every single sound that reached her ears. She checked once again, out of paranoia, to make sure the scroll was safely situated on her person before following Sasuke and Naruto through the woods.

High in the branches of the trees, hidden against the leaves, stood a Grass nin. Her eyes were fixated on the group as they continued to walk on, oblivious to her presence. Her gaze then shifted to the Uchiha fan stitched into the back of Sasuke's shirt and she grinned.

Touching her hat, she fell back into the shadows of the trees, following after them like a ghost.

Watching.

Waiting.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto was ignoring the test taking place all around him, instead leaping through the trees at an incredible pace, heading towards the direction Sasuke's team would be coming from. He had seen what gate they would be entering in before he had joined his own team at their own gate.

If his calculations were correct, they really shouldn't be that far off.

If they kept up the pace they were going and avoided any conflict of their own.

They had to change course several times to avoid being caught up in a battle that really wasn't of any interest to them. Or to him anyways. Who knows what Haku or Yoroi wanted.

"Do you know the strategy?" He inquired, not even bothering to look back. He knew they were following him. The sounds of the branches bending under their weight and the leaves rustling were all the indications he needed to reassure himself.

Haku's voice answered back. "Yes. I fight Sasuke while you two deal with his teammates, making sure they don't interrupt the fight."

"Right."

Haku didn't want to begin to question what would happen to him if he failed against this boy. It was for his fight against Sasuke that Kabuto decided not to send Dosu's team into the Chuunin exams this year.

Or so he had heard.

He missed the days where he just wandered the streets with Zabuza.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sasuke straightened up with a snap, eyes flickering around the tree tops wildly.

"Sasuke-kun?" Sakura questioned in concern, the brunette's sudden action having caused her to jump from the abruptness. Naruto was oblivious and continuing the ascension forward, not realizing they had stopped.

"Shh." Sasuke insisted, waving a hand towards her as he pivoted, his eyes still roaming through the trees. If it was anyone but Sasuke, and if it was any other situation, Sakura would've been irritated at being shushed, but since it was Sasuke, and they were in the forest of death, she let it go. Slowly, she tried to copy him, peering into the trees herself.

She saw nothing. Only leaves and branches.

"SAKURA! GET BACK!"

Her body moved on reflex at his shout, jerking back an missing the shurinkens that landed in the ground, nicking her toes. But she didn't have much time to process the fact that they were being ambushed as a body sprang out of the trees towards her, arm drawn back with a kunai glaring brightly in the sunlight, each running step he took pounding in her head as she froze in fear.

Sasuke would've intercepted if a smaller frame hadn't launched towards him, Sasuke's eyes changing to bright red as he whirled around and met the enemies kunai with his own, the sound of metal clashing against metal sounding clearly through the air.

"Sakura-chan!" Naruto cried out as he ran over to protect her, his sudden presence jarring her from her frozen state. Before she could say anything, his hands flew up into well practiced seals as he continued to charge the man who had been charging her.

"Kage Bunshin no jutsu!"

Four Naruto's poofed into existence, already speeding alongside the original and all grabbing kunais of their own as they did so. Although Naruto couldn't see it, a smile tugged at Yoroi's face…a rare occurrence.

"Maybe I'll have some fun here after all." He murmured as he leapt up, descending down on the blond males who slashed at him, the Oto nin only able to parry most of the strikes as he ducked under the others, his free hand grabbing a clone's arm and twisting it in the way of an oncoming strike. The kunai sunk in with a wet sound and the Naruto clone cried out in pain before disappearing.

Sakura just watched, backing up. Her eyes strayed from Naruto to Sasuke and his attacker, the two brunette's skidding in the dirt as they tried to overpower the other. With a grunt, Sasuke broke the connection, sending the other boy flipping backwards, but Haku darted back in with speed unlike any other.

His kunai slashed up and cut Sasuke's cheek, up from the jaw, Sasuke grunting in pain before he used the palm of his free hand to knock Haku's hand aside, spinning away as his foot swung up in an arc towards the head.

They were moving so fast!

She could hardly keep up with them.

"Sakura, what's the matter with you!" She thought harshly as the sound of fighting filled her head, her hands clutched together in front of her chest. "This is just like last time! You're just watching while they fight. They're going to get hurt while you do nothing! What's wrong with you!"

She needed to help out. She wasn't going to be useless again. Not like last time. She was as much a part of this team as Naruto and Sasuke were!

Determination burning in her eyes, adrenaline pumping in her veins, she started towards the fights before her, her foot raising from the ground.

"Well I guess that means you're mine."

And it stayed suspended in mid-air.

She turned her head to face the voice that had spoken. It seemed like she was trying to move through molasses with the speed it took her. Wide frightened eyes locked with blank black ones that stared at her from behind thick round glasses.

"K-Kabuto?" She squeaked, jerking away from him with such a viciousness it almost hurt. Her mind began working in overdrive, thoughts blurring together so fast in her head it actually hurt, a pounding resonating at the front of her cranium.

Hadn't he been there friend just a few hours ago? Well he could just be following the rules of the second test. It was practically your team against everyone else's out here. But something was off, something just didn't seem…friend-like.

He smiled and chills ran down her spine, her body shuddering.

He didn't look like their friend in that moment. Not for one second.

And he truly wasn't.
Phase Two (2) by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok so when Naruto fights Yoroi, the reason why his clones disappear so quickly when Yoroi drains their chakra is because they're clones and so they don't have the same amount of chakra as the originals. That makes it easier for Yoroi to drain them.

Just thought I would clarify.

And as for Naruto's weird reaction to blood, it's because the Kyuubi is really starting to influence him and mess up his behaviour. I picture demons having a weird fascination with blood and carnage. And Naruto, being a kind human…doesn't.
Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 32: Phase Two (2)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haku's eyes narrowed as he jumped away from Sasuke, distancing himself from the Sharingan user as Sasuke's kunai slashed across the front of his robe, tearing the material. He had been right in his assumption earlier. Age really had nothing to do with skill.

He was a worthy opponent.

He was matching him blow for blow and that was quite a feat. Haku was known for his speed, but Sasuke was keeping steady pace with him. Haku didn't know whether to be impressed or agitated.

"But…" he thought as he glanced at the scenery surrounding them, the thick trees, green grass, moist air, and moss covered rocks. "I have the advantage even now."

There was moisture all around them. Even in the air. And as long as there was moisture, he could perform his bloodline.

Sasuke didn't give him much time to just stand around and look at the pretty trees. He charged and Haku was quick to greet him. But a stalemate happened as they met, their kunais grinding against each other once more. Haku's wrist suddenly shot out but Sasuke's was quicker, gripping Haku's wrist with a vice like grip. Sasuke's free hand grasped Haku's descending hand where it had been heading towards his weapons pouch, reaching for his senbons.

But now there truly was a stalemate.

"You fight well." Haku complimented, the corners of his mouth turning up in a smile. In different circumstances, it actually might of been taken as a friendly gesture, and maybe even a genuine compliment. But as things were, the action only made Sasuke glare, his Sharingans blazing.

"Apparently not well enough. You're still standing." He quipped back venom coating the growl that rumbled from his throat.

He hated admitting that people were stronger than he was.

It was a big blow to his pride as an Uchiha and it made his blood boil in a way he couldn't even begin to describe.

But Haku only continued to smile. "Don't feel too bad, I have to advantage here."

"What do you mean?" Sasuke asked, slightly breathless, watching every move the boy in front of him was making. Or was it a girl? It didn't really matter right now.

Haku said nothing and Sasuke was about to bark something vulgar and obscene towards him as the seconds ticked by and it seemed that he really wasn't going to answer him when something in the air changed.

His muscles tensed as a brittle coldness swept through him, the air around him decreasing in temperature. It numbed his fingers and made him shift his feet, almost as if all the heat had been sucked out of his toes. It almost overrode the fact that Haku was making seals in front of him.

Water seemed to appear out of nowhere, materializing from the moisture in the air, the droplets suspending the air like some still life picture of rain that someone might imagine. It caught Sasuke off guard and almost made him loosen his grip on the other brunette.

Almost.

"Hijutsu Makyou Hyoushou (Secret Skill Demonic Ice Mirrors)." Were the words that Haku said, bringing Sasuke's attention back to high alert.

The water droplets melded together in mid-air, shifting and moving to form a dome around the two before solidifying into sheet upon sheet of ice mirrors, the motions of the water so fast that for a moment all Sasuke could hear was the crashing sound of waves.

But as they solidified into ice, the noise disappeared and Sasuke soon saw his reflection staring back at him from multiple angles, Haku blocking his view in a few. He was quickly brought back around as he saw his surprised face reflected in the ice and her tried to compose himself.

He was in the face of the enemy after all.

Thanks to his Sharingan he could see the chakra pooling in the ice, but because the ice surrounded him, everything just looked like a big mass of blue on all sides. "All you did was manage to trap both me and yourself in this thing. You simply limited our fighting space." Sasuke pointed out as he tightened his grip on Haku's hand, satisfied when he saw pain flash behind the other boy's eyes. Any harder and he would probably snap the wrist.

But then pain shot through him, flashing from his stomach and staggering him. He gasped breathlessly, shaping himself around the foot that Haku had planted in his stomach, and slackening his grip, allowing the other boy to pull free and step away as Sasuke wheezed for air, holding his stomach.

"No. I only trapped you." Haku stated plainly, the pure confidence in his words ringing in the air. Haku walked to the closest ice mirror to him, turning so his back was pressed to it, before melding into the very being of the mirror, his body slipping into the ice.

All around him, Sasuke's reflection was suddenly replaced with images of Haku, trapped behind the surface of the ice.

"The hell?"

"Now let's see if you can still keep up."

Sasuke couldn't even begin to open his mouth when senbons shot from every mirror, from every angle, at incredible speed. His Sharingan whirled with the effort to try and keep up with all of them as he swore. There was no way he could avoid them!

He would just have to minimize the dama-

He gave a half shout of pain as the needles pierced him, shifting himself so nothing vital was hit. But that didn't stop him looking like a porcupine, blood spotting the base of each of the senbons that landed on his person.

"Fuck." Sasuke hissed as he staggered backwards slightly, regaining his footing a millisecond later.

Haku looked contemplative, head tilting ever so slightly to the side. "You managed to change their course. They could've easily hit a number of vital organs in your system."

Sasuke didn't give him a chance to prattle on anymore, to be semi-impressed with his skills. Screw this! He wasn't going to sit around and let this bastard just throw needles into him like some kind of demented pin cushion. Pushing chakra into his lungs, he inhaled sharply.

"Katon: Gokakyu no Jutsu!" Fire flew from his mouth, encasing the mirrors and making heat wash over him. The flames even licked the roof of the dome, the fire spreading in a full circle around the Uchiha as Sasuke pushed more chakra into the flames until the raven haired boy was standing in a tornado of orange and red, the person breathing life into the jutsu safe at the center of the storm.

He couldn't see anything. His eyes were closed from the heat that pricked at his eyes, sweat rolling down his face with both strain and the fact that he was encasing himself in fire.

It stuttered out as he coughed, breaking the jutsu, smoke rising from the cracks of the dome.

Drip.

Drip.

His ears perked and he frantically tried to peer through the haze that he himself had created. He tensed as he saw the mirrors, standing tall, where they had been before, but a flicker of something akin to hope lit inside of him as he noticed that all of them were dripping water, the liquid making small, tiny puddles underneath their floating bodies.

They barely even passed as puddles but they were enough for Sasuke.

"You'll need something a lot stronger than that if you wish to break these mirrors." Haku replied shortly, his reflection still painted on the slabs of ice. He looked unchanged from before, but a look of irritation was making it's presence known on his features.

Shinobi could pick out even the slightest things.

Sasuke said nothing as he let his eyes scan the limited area given to him. True, the mirrors hadn't disappeared completely and the amount of them that had actually melted were barely worth mentioning, but they had melted. But he would have to do fire jutsu after fire jutsu to destroy them and he didn't believe that he had that much chakra inside him at the moment to do that.

He would have to do something else.

"Fine. I see how it is." Sasuke murmured.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto cast a quick glance at the ice dome that encased Sasuke and the boy he was fighting, smoke flowing from the cracks and oozing out into the forest like a signal. Hopefully no other teams would decide to follow the trail of smoke and decide to participate in the fight against them as well. He turned back to Yoroi as the taller man slashed through another of his clones, the audible poof drawing Naruto's attention.

Sasuke could take care of himself. At least for now anyways.

Once Naruto finished with this guy he would go check up on him.

Yoroi could feel irritation trickle inside of him as he landed the bottom of his foot to the face of one of his attackers, the blond disappearing into smoke before Yoroi ducked and caught a lunging blond around the throat with his hand.

The child gagged, eyes widening and scrabbling against Yoroi's tight grip on his windpipe as Yoroi's hand glowed blue, the chakra seeping from his trapped opponent before he too disappeared into smoke.

He couldn't help it.

He growled.

"I'm getting annoyed with this guessing game of yours." He commented as he flipped backwards, distancing himself from the group he had significantly dwindled. He had already dispatched of the original three clones the brat had made, but he kept making more.

This was his fourth batch of clones in the course of five minutes and Yoroi was annoyed. If he had managed to land a blow to the original brat, he didn't know. There was smoke every which way, he could hardly keep up with who disappeared and who didn't.

"Which one of you is the real one?" He demanded to the last three remaining blonde's in front of him.

"Why the hell should we tell you?" One of them demanded haughtily. That just added to his annoyance so Yoroi decided that he would kill that one first. Turning deftly on his foot, he raced towards that Naruto who started for a second before regaining himself.

He spread his feet, planting them firmly as his lips pressed into a thin line, his blue eyes locked onto Yoroi's oncoming form before his eyes slipped over Yorio's shoulder, to the other two Naruto's who were also making their ways towards them.

Yoroi saw a light brighten up his eyes as his blue orbs turned back to him as Yoroi finally neared enough to close the distance. It was almost like he had been given some kind of telepathic message. He barely had time to think about this as the Naruto in front of him sprang into action, the muscles in his legs unfurling as he hurled himself unexpectedly at Yorio.

The taller man started as Naruto's form wound around his leg, dragging the appendage crashing to the ground with the boy's weight. But the realization that his standing position was now compromised didn't fully register in his head until the same weight suddenly landed and wound itself on his kunai weilding arm, anchoring the appendage to the ground.

"What the hell?" Yoroi managed to say before pain accompanied by weight fell onto his back.

Naruto, the original, landed heavily on Yoroi's back, his hand holding onto the man's shoulder for support as his other lifted his kunai high, the blade slicing through the air at such speeds that it looked like a blur as Naruto plunged it viciously into Yoroi's back, between the shoulder blades.

The kunai sunk into the top of Yoroi's back with such force that the weapon was almost lost as it disappeared into his flesh, the handle still tightly grasped in Naruto's fist, his knuckles white with the force he was holding it.

Yoroi cried out in agony as his body jerked in slight convulsion before his arms suddenly tried to reach up and sweep in clumsy motions to rid him from his back. But only one arm moved while his other hand stayed anchored due to Naruto's clone.

Unfortunately, Yoroi took Naruto by surprise as his trapped arm suddenly blew up with bright blue light, encasing Naruto's clone as well. His flew open in surprise as the clones chakra was wrenched from his body, his body tensing before going limp and disappearing into a cloud of smoke.

"You little-!" Yoroi cried as his hands suddenly reached back for the Naruto on his back, his one arm still glowing a brilliant blue. Naruto ducked and bobbed consistently underneath the clumsy swings, his grip tightening on the kunai like a life line as Yoroi jerked about to try and throw Naruto off of him.

But the man was quick to change strategies and quickly found a hold on his assailant, his hands gripping both of Naruto wrists.

"Shit!" Naruto cursed.

"You bastard." Yoroi hissed as he flung Naruto off his back, crying out as Naruto jerked the kunai out with him, blood spilling down the Oto nin's back as the wound was torn even larger. He kept his grip on Naruto tight as he smashed the kid to the ground, through his other clone. Smoke filled the air as Naruto hit the ground, his clone dispersing, the air driving out of Naruto as pain shot through his body, his mouth opening in a gasp of pain.

Yoroi sneered against the pain scorching across his back as he felt the brat's chakra begin to drain, Yoroi's hand still gripping his wrist tightly. He had to be the original brat since he wasn't disappearing into an annoying cloud of smoke like all the others…and he was the only one left.

Naruto felt a tugging feeling at his naval, his eyes losing focus as exhaustion began to grow inside of him, flowing through his body. What was going on? He hadn't taken that much damage. He shouldn't be feeling tired yet, he had amazing stamina.

Even he knew that.

But his mind began to grow muggy.

Yet through all the mugginess, something lit a fire inside of him, a smell that made the Kyuubi straighten and roll his eyes in pleasure, shoulders quaking.

"Blood."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shurinkens flew from Sasuke's hands, the Uchiha pivoting quickly on his foot to let the weapons fly in all directions. They were like blurs, Haku narrowing his eyes as he saw them near the mirror he resided in.

Although fire may not be able to melt the ice, weapons going at the speed and force these ones were, would definitely penetrate the ice and could easily get him. Inwardly cursing, he summoned chakra to his legs and pushed forward, out of the ice, sweeping his arms as he did so.

Senbons filtered through the air along with the shurinkens, Sasuke blindsided momentarily with the added projectiles, turning and shielding his face to prevent getting stabbed in the eye as Haku touched down onto the ground like a blur, only to shoot up into a different ice slab.

Sasuke whirled around all too late, ignoring the stinging pain in his cheek from a wayward senbon, as the crunching sound of Haku's foot leaving the dirt and grass reached his ears. He growled darkly before he saw the scuff mark in the dirt, a mark left by Haku's shoe, and his brain suddenly shot up into overdrive.

If he could keep driving Haku out of the mirror, even if he couldn't actually see him, the ground here would leave signs as to where he went. If he could just aim everything right and manage to not get impaled by senbons, he might actually be able to catch him.

"Now, this suggests that he's to my-"

Like lightning, Sasuke shot his hand into his weapons pouch and turned, shooting the kunai in the mirror to his left. Before it connected, senbons rained down on him, Sasuke trying to avoid them as best as he could while keeping his eyes open to watch the blur that shot out of the mirror.

The small light of hope that had budded inside of him from his flames now grew at his new discovery. Without giving Haku any time to settle into the mirror, Sasuke hurled three kunais at it, this time charging forward and letting the senbons sink into his shoulders and chest with a grunt of pain as he shouldered the pain and barrelled forward.

Haku only had time to widen his eyes, body already a couple steps out of the mirror as Sasuke continued towards him, hand going to his pouch and retrieving a kunai that glinted from the refracted light of the mirrors.

He wasn't being misled.

He was coming straight at him!

Haku only had time to raise his left hand up in defence as Sasuke crashed into him, Haku holding back a cry of pain as Sasuke's kunai pierced through his hand, blood pulsing around the wound and trailing, wet and hot, down his hand and onto his sleeve. They hit the ground, Sasuke's knee driving into his gut while Haku's free hand launched up and gripped Sasuke's neck, fingers biting deep into the tender flesh there.

With a viciousness that Haku didn't suspect him to have, Sasuke jerked his kunai out of Haku's hand, only to drive it like a nail just below the older boy's collarbone, a gurgling noise emitting from both boy's as Haku tightened his grip on Sasuke's throat out of reflex, efficiently limiting the Uchiha's air supply.

Blood blossomed from beneath the weapon, wetting Haku's robes and making his heartbeat thump loudly in his head. It actually didn't take a lot to kill someone, and Sasuke's kunai didn't have to move very far to plunge into his heart.

Haku had always considered himself ready to die. As a shinobi and as a weapon for Zabuza, it was just something that he had accepted long ago. A fact really, like how the sky was blue. It was blue, and he was going to die.

He was going to die.

But now, with a kunai burrowed in his chest and his hands cutting off the oxygen to his attacker…he didn't want to. That's why he was a little grateful, for the first time in his life, though terrified, confused, and surprised beyond belief when he saw a pair of familiar, slitted yellow eyes slinking up behind him and Sasuke.

He would know those terrifying eyes anywhere, even if the face wearing them weas different.

"You did good Haku."

Haku felt shivers crawl all over him at Orochimaru's voice while Sasuke stiffened at the voice of another attacker. He hadn't even sensed him at all! That either meant that Sasuke was really, really distracted or the person behind him was just really powerful.

Either way, it wasn't good.

Sasuke didn't notice Haku's grip loosening as Sasuke turned his head to look at the man approaching them. In another situation, that would've been a dire mistake that would've cost him his life. He opened his mouth, but no words escaped him.

It turned out it didn't matter.

The moment his mouth opened, Orochimaru's head shot forward, neck elongating, and mouth clamping on Sasuke's own neck, fangs piercing the flesh there. Haku jerked his hand back just in time to relinquish his hold on the younger boy.

Both boy's started at the abrupt movement before Sasuke began to convulse, his grip on his kunai disappearing as his hands came up to try and pry the snake Sannin's face away from his neck, trying to rid himself of the white pain that was lancing through his neck.

Orochimaru pulled back, watching with satisfaction as black ink rose to the surface of Sasuke's pale skin, forming itself into a design that Orochimaru recognized as his cursed seal.

Sasuke fell to the side, withering in pain, convulsing and shouting as he clutched at his neck, sweat building on his brow.

Haku could only stare.

What had happened?

What had Orochimaru done?

What kind of monster was he?

Orochimaru straightened, watching the Uchiha for a second with a look of deranged delight on his face before his eyes found Haku, blood pooling around the fallen boy in a mess of dark crimson.

Haku could see the dismissal there. He had done his part. He had fought Sasuke.

So now…he was done.

The sound of ice shattering into hundreds of pieces resounded through the air, startling all animals in the vicinity.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yoroi's brow furrowed as he looked at the child on the ground before him, his foot on his chest to pin him down for extra measure. He had been sucking his chakra for five minutes and the kid still wasn't sucked dry. It was like he had an ocean for chakra reserves instead of just wells.

Usually people would've been passed out, or even dead by now.

The kid just looked disorientated, like he was suffering from a mild concussion or something. His eyes were unfocused and his jaw was slack, but his chakra was still getting absorbed.

WHY?

It didn't make sense.

It was almost tiring him to drain Naruto.

Then something changed. The chakra he was absorbing turned warm. Too warm. It was burning.

Chakra was never burning.

Yoroi gave a muffled shout as his arm lit up with red light, pain encasing his arm and making him jerk his appendage back, the Oto nin stepping away from the jinchuuriki. Welts and burns were forming rapidly across his arm as it continued to burn a bright red from the chakra he had absorbed, his arm pulsating as more burns and welts appeared.

"You! What did you do?" He accused in pain as he cradled his arm to himself, groaning in pain as his own touch sent white hot agony down to his fingers, up to his shoulder.

Naruto blinked slowly as if waking from a dream, his surroundings coming back to him. His vision, which had been blurring, was becoming clear and the exhaustion was leaving his body. With a twitch, he was flipping onto his feet and facing Yoroi once more.

He opened his mouth to shout something, most likely crude and obnoxious and so very Naruto-like, and froze.

The burns on Yoroi's arms were beginning to weep blood, dark droplets dripping to the ground.

Naruto didn't understand his own fascination with it. He had seen blood plenty of times before.

The smell hit his nose and his eyes hooded as he inhaled, his body straightening up as he did so.

It smelt so…so…

Refreshing.

In Kyuubi's cage, the cracks on the bars skittered across the bar before a piece the size of Naruto's head broke away and splashed into the water, leaving a hole that was miniscule to the demon behind, and quite sizeable to humans. Like someone snapped their fingers, red chakra poured against the cracking bar, barrelling through the hole and seeping through the cracks at such speeds that Naruto felt like a tidal wave of fire crashed over him.

Everything was red, unbearable heat and pain pounding against his skull. It was too much. It felt like he was going to explode, his veins trying to set him off like a stick of dynamite.

Somewhere in the distance, Naruto heard something akin to shattering glass.

Then everything went black, images lost to a dark haze.

He remembered nothing as he rushed forward, his claws digging into Yoroi's side, his fingers sinking up to the knuckles as they disappeared into the older man's flesh.

And then he twisted.

He twisted with monstrous strength that humans couldn't hope to possess.

His hands snapped around in a corkscrew motion and he wrenched back with a savage manor. Yoroi's torso disconnected from his body with a shrill, hair-raising crack as he ripped in half, crimson blood as fresh and dark as ink spraying out like a waterfall and coating the small blond in front of him. His spine snapped with an audible crack, the bone making Yoroi looking like some grotesque toy on a stick as his organs dropped to the ground in a bloody pool.

There was silence, the only sound Naruto's breathing as he held Yoroi's torso out in front of him before the lower half of the once proud Oto nin fell over, spilling the rest of his organs across the forest floor with a wet slap.

Naruto straightened, the way he held himself like that of a bloodthirsty warrior who had just succeeded in killing their prey, before he flung Yoroi's torso forward so it landed not but two feet from his lower half.

His prey was dead. He got his kill.

His heart was thumping wildly between his ears as the haze begin to dissolve, Naruto's consciousness coming back to him. He blinked, groggy and disorientated and feeling drenched, his clothes plastering to his body.

"What the-?" He started as he ran a hand over his face before his breath hitched as he took in the blood coating him, his fingers streaking his face with the bloody liquid. The palms of his hands were wet with the stuff.

Blood was everywhere.

On him. On the ground. The smell of it was polluting the air.

What Naruto found highly, repulsively, disturbing was his desire to press his blood coated hands to his face and just inhale, taking it all in. To revel in the carnage he had caused.

The urge made him want to vomit.

"Hmm. You seemed to take care of him fairly well."

Naruto spun on his heels in a blur of color, eyes jumping to find the person who startled him. He paused, momentarily confused as a recognized face looked back at him, black eyes behind big round glasses greeting him.

"Kabuto?" He questioned. Had he always been there? Was this his team?

Kabuto's eyes trailed from Yoroi's mangled body to the blood soaked blond in front of him, his eyebrows already raised in surprise as he took in the mess. This kid…this boy who wasn't even a teenager yet…had killed Yoroi? It seemed impossible, but then again the evidence was right in front of him.

Should Kabuto have been worried about this boy in front of him? Should he have researched him? He hadn't bothered to really go into much depth with any of the participants besides Sasuke.

But maybe he should've.

Naruto felt his eyes drift away from Kabuto and his whole body stiffened as his gaze traveled past the silver haired ninja and landed on an eerily still female teammate.

"Did you do that?"

Kabuto blinked at Naruto question before following the shorter male's gaze. Sakura's fallen form was lying still against the grass, her pink hair tangling in with the blades of grass where her locks splayed out beneath her head. She didn't look so much like she had been knocked out like she did that she had been tossed aside, broken.

Her left arm was twisted in an unsightly way, definitely broken and swelling up. Blood was falling down her unconscious face from a gash on her forehead, weeping across the swollen bruised cheek. Kabuto's eyes glazed over the other scratches and bruises that covered her arms and legs.

Those were minor.

He only needed to keep her from interfering with Sasuke's fight with Haku. She was lucky that he didn't have to kill her. She would've been dead in a heartbeat.

She really wasn't much of a challenge.

"I had to keep her occupied." Kabuto replied simply, shrugging his shoulders. Naruto growled, temper flaring to life. He made to charge when a pain pricked in his back and his legs suddenly turned to jelly beneath him, making him crumple to the ground, leaves flying up from his impact.

Unnerved, Kabuto looked over as Haku walked over, Orochimaru not far behind.

"That really wasn't necessary." He told the other boy, ignoring the loud profanities that were ringing through the air as they emitted from Naruto's mouth, all obscene and very, very crude.

Orochimaru decided to speak, catching Kabuto's attention right away. "That's enough fighting for now." He said, though amusement was clear on his borrowed face as he looked at Naruto, the Namikaze trying to push himself up with his hands. "We have to leave Sasuke to deal with the cursed mark."

As those words reached Naruto's ears, he suddenly became conscious of another noise that was resonating through the area. A noise that he had been oblivious to until now.

Screaming.

Sasuke was screaming.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Would you stop moving around you damn acrobat!"

Kyoko said nothing as she flipped over and behind him, landing on her hands and quickly jumping upright and to the side as he spun around and slashed at her, Kyoko ducking and rolling to the side to avoid the kunai.

He hadn't managed to land a single hit on her yet.

She really would have to thank Hari for forcing her to learn gymnastics.

"Hari…"

She paused for only a second, but it was all her opponent needed as a kick suddenly swept around and caught her in the ribs in her crouched position, the female sent careening through the dirt.

She pushed herself up onto her hands and knees and spat out a mouthful of dirt, though the taste lingered in her mouth. Though she had spent a lot of quality time in this particular training ground before, she had never become this friendly with it before.

"Eww, gross." She thought in disgust as she wiped at her mouth. "Would you hurry up and find Itsuya already!" She shouted out into the trees where a certain copper haired teammate had ventured off to find their missing team member.

Rain ninja over there thought that he would transform into Itsuya to take the scroll from them but he hadn't witnessed them enough to get down Itsuya's behaviour. It was creepy when Itsuya was actually being nice and smile.

They knew something was up. Unfortunately for their little opponent, he came alone, making it quite easy to occupy him while they also searched for Itsuya.

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying." Roku's voice reassured from somewhere in the trees, his voice accompanied by the sound of rustling branches. A couple seconds later, with Kyoko already trading blows with the rain nin again, Roku called out again in triumph.

"Found him!"

Roku reached a hand down to grab at the katana that he kept at his hip while his eyes shone with mirth at the position he found the smaller boy in. He tried hard to keep from laughing, but chuckles escaped him and Itsuya shot glares that could've killed a man on the spot at him.

"Hey Kyoko, maybe it's better if we just leave him tied up like this!" Roku called back as he stepped forward and slowly slid his blade between Itsuya and the rope bounds, contradicting his words though laughter was coating his words.

If they left him like this, they wouldn't have to deal with all his lengthy, rude comments.

"Just get him!" Kyoko snapped, probably getting angry with the fact that she had to be the one who the attacker decided to go after.

With a quick motion of his hand, the ropes cut loose against his blade and Itsuya was soon pulling the gag from his mouth. His glare was like ice as he shouldered past Roku.

"You bastard."

As the two males emerged back onto the scene of the fight, the rain nin saw his chances for survival dwindling. His teammates always said he was rash and never thought things through. He began to mutter escape plans underneath his breath as he flung his kunai at the female before him.

"Well," Roku thought mildly as he watched her flip backwards and land in a crouch, the kunai hitting the ground before her. "at least she hasn't started pulling out explosion tags yet."

He wasn't sure when he started to notice it, but the female on team 1 seemed to lean heavily towards using explosive tags when the time called for it. Actually, thinking back to their first experience in the forest of death, that was actually how they caught most of their food.

The stuff that wasn't berries and plants.

The rain nin's hand suddenly flashed up before striking towards the ground, a smoke bomb shooting from his hand and exploding against the ground. Smoke plumed like a giant cloud, obstructing team 1's view and making Kyoko cough as she backed away.

"Smoke bomb? Damn, you're letting him escape!" Itsuya scolded as he vainly tried to look through the smoke that was encasing them.

"It's not my fault!" Kyoko defended sharply. But as the smoke cleared, mixing into the air, the enemy ninja was gone. "Coward…" Kyoko muttered with a huff, glaring pointedly at where the rain nin had stood moments before.

"Something tells me that guy wasn't the brightest." Roku remarked before his eyes slid down to Itsuya's head. "Do you still have the scroll?"

Momentarily distracted, Itsuya nodded as he riffled through the various pockets that littered his jacket. "Yeah. The moron didn't even think to check me before he grabbed me and tied me up. Honestly, what type of ninja is he? Ambushing us with only one person and not even checking us properly for the scroll? He's going to die in here." Itsuya replied as he let his fingers poke the heaven scroll.

"Well let's keep going before he decides to come back with his friends." Kyoko said as she ran a hand through her hair, still staring after her opponent. She hadn't had an actual fight in weeks…since her graduation from the Academy.

It was a little thrilling.

She missed it.

After some nods of consent, they disappeared into the well remembered, yet jarring, forest, oblivious to the bloody horrors that were taking place beneath it's leafy canopy.
Phase Two (3) by animeroxsmyworld
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.

Authoress Note: Ok, I know some people have messaged me about pairings before and I have given answers but now as I'm writing, I think I might just let the story write itself and see what pairings unfold.

Why? Because as the plot of the story continues to unfold and develop in my head, my original pairings in my head don't always line up with how I want the story to go. But then again, in later chapters, maybe things will work out, who knows.

But the main pairing (in case no one picked up on the very subtle hints in the early chapters, it's SasukeXKyoko) will remain because it becomes important in later chapters.
Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 33: Phase Two (3)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto hissed softly between his teeth as he reached back, groping blindly for several minutes before he finally managed to grasp the tiny senbon that was sticking from his spine, making his legs useless.

With a swift yank, it was pulled free and Naruto could feel his toes once more.

His head was still ringing with Sasuke's screams, the Uchiha's howls of agony cutting off a couple minutes ago after Orochimaru and Kabuto left. Since Sasuke was out of Naruto's immediate vision, he had to assume that that meant that the brunette had merely passed out from the pain and hadn't succumbed to an early death.

He hoped anyway.

"Damnit!" Naruto swore as he pushed himself unsteadily to his feet before his gaze swung around frantically to try and find his fallen teammates. It took barely a second to find Sasuke, but it seemed to take twice as long for his brain to register that the curled, withering clump on the ground was, indeed, his best friend.

When it did, he let out a stream of colourful words as he darted over to him, eyes taking in the senbons that skewered him and made him resemble a porcupine, his muscles convulsing in pain even though he had long since lost consciousness.

Naruto cast one last glance around the area and confirmed that he was, in fact, the only one conscious. Yoroi was as dead as a person could be, guts splattered against the ground, (Naruto had to look away before a wave of sickness overtook him) and Sakura was motionless against the grass.

There would be no one to help him.

At all.

"What do I do? Damn, what do I do? I can't jut leave them here but it's not like I can lug around two injured people to find help!" Naruto wished with all his might that he had paid more attention during survival training when they were being taught the basics at the Academy.

Surely they were taught basic medics. Right?

Maybe if he had bothered to pay attention, he would be able to help them enough so that they could go get help.

"Fuck! Fuck, fuck, fuck!" He repeated as his mind swam. He needed to help them. But they needed a safe place to hide. Did he remember to pack any bandages with him? Would they wake up? What if another team found them like this? How did he treat wounds like this?

Giving a cry of pure frustration, Naruto blew caution to the wind and knelt down, grabbing Sasuke and hauling him up with a grunt. The brunette didn't make a sound, his body only jerking back as Naruto accidentally pushed some senbons further into his flesh by pure mistake.

But even that pain wasn't even to rouse him from the cursed seal coma.

Naruto's legs almost buckled under Sasuke's weight as he took a few staggering steps backwards to try and find his balance. It wasn't so much that Sasuke was heavy…he was just heavier than Naruto had expected him to be.

Having not thought any of this through, Naruto felt the relief like a blow to his chest when he glimpsed the hollowed, slightly bent tree not far from the clearing, its roots snarling around the branches of other trees and making a unique shelter that could easily be overlooked.

He stumbled to set Sasuke down, ignoring the pained looking on the Uchiha's face as he bolted out of the temporary shelter to retrieve the pinkette. Whereas Sasuke had made Naruto stagger, Sakura also made him stagger, but for entirely different reasons. He had overcompensated and almost stumbled over himself when he realized how light she was in his arms. Taking her back to the hollowed base of the tree, he set her down and let his brow furrow as he looked them over.

Ok, they were both at least safe for now.

But now came the tricky part…actually treating their wounds.

He tried to rummage through his weapons pouch and swore once more when he saw that there were no bandages, or any kind of medical equipment inside of his pouch. He made a distinct note to remedy that problem as soon as he could. With a small epiphany, Naruto was quick to toss his pouch aside and take hold of Sakura's, pointedly ignoring the fact that he had to turn her and practically grope around her hips to get it off of her person.

She was a female. She probably thought about this medical stuff.

Sure enough, bandages and different kinds of salves were tucked away tightly in with her kunais and shurinkens. He had never been so thankful that he had actually guessed right before.

He worked on Sakura first, mainly because a nagging feeling in the back of his mind knew that tending to Sasuke was going to take most, if not all, of his time and attention. He didn't want to jar the senbons too much or else they might puncture something vital and that would be disastrous.

He bandaged her forehead with clumsy, inexperienced fingers. (His wounds had always healed so quickly!) He was careful not to touch her swollen cheek, but the moment he touched her arm, with the lightest of touches, her body gave a small spasm and a cry of agony tore from her throat.

Panicking, Naruto drew his hands away like lightning.

A second later, Sakura was groaning, green eyes opening and rolling out of focus as they tried to take Naruto's slightly scared features in.

Thank God! She was awake!

"Sakura-chan! Are you alright?" He asked quickly, oblivious to the stupidity of his question. Closing her eyes, she groaned once more before words slurred from her mouth, inarticulate at first, but when Naruto strained, he could make them out.

"What's…going on? …what happened? …where…are we?"

He relayed everything to her quickly, uncaring if she was actually able to register his words or not. She made no significant sign to show that she didn't hear him at least. A brief look of contentment flitted across her features when Naruto mentioned the bandages in her pouch and what unbelievable luck it was that she had them. Once he finished talking, silence reigned over her before she struggled upright, her head spinning and her teeth crushing against each other when her broken fingers brushed the forest floor.

"What are you doing?" Naruto asked worriedly as he helped her sit up.

"I'll tend to Sasuke-kun…" She murmured her voice weak. Her head was swimming too much that it was almost too much of an effort to even talk. At Naruto's scowl, which she could barely make out, she elaborated. "I actually took the small medical course the Academy offered unlike you."

If she was feeling at all like herself, her words would've probably been insulting instead of sounding like a statement.

Naruto opened his mouth to reply, but no words reached her because she was gone, black taking her vision and her body slumping back against the ground, Naruto catching her before she could hit the forest floor.

He muttered as he laid her back down. "You have to look after yourself sometimes first." She shouldn't always be putting Sasuke in front of herself like that. Her needs were important too.

It was going to be a long, exhausting day.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three days had passed and Itsuya was becoming downright irritable. He had thought that their team would have had an advantage in this field since they spent a couple days camping out in the damn forest, but it seemed that they didn't have the greatest luck with coming across other teams.

They hadn't come across anyone since that rain ninja who had jumped, and transformed into, him.

That bastard.

"Why don't we stop looking for people and wait for them to come to us?" Roku suggested as he walked leisurely over a fallen log, his long legs giving him excellent height and making the task rather easy.

"That's actually not a bad idea. I mean, everyone is going to be heading towards the tower in the middle, so we could just stake out somewhere around there and jump the first people we see." Kyoko nodded as she just vaulted over the log with an acrobatic ease that Itsuya didn't possess.

He merely decided to take a different, although more time consuming, route and walk around it.

Although the two were older, they looked for Itsuya to wait for him to add his two cents. Surprisingly, they seemed to recognize, although a bit grudgingly on Roku's part, that whatever Itsuya said would affect their plans.

Be it the simplest of insults about the plan. Why? Because he would whine and complain until it was changed and it was just too much work sometimes to deal with him.

Itsuya just huffed, face clouding over. "Fine! We're not finding anyone just wandering around like we have been." He all but stormed towards the direction of the tower, pausing for a moment before they would be left behind so they could follow after him and he wouldn't be left alone.

But, it seemed that lady luck seemed to shine on Itsuya that moment as team 1 bumbled through the forest.

"Please! Someone help me! AHH!"

Itsuya's mood swung around in a 180, which was startling considering that he was hearing a cry for help. "A person!" He exclaimed, his face brightening.

"Uh…a person in trouble." Kyoko felt she had to point out as Itsuya began darting towards the voice, the older two following after him in a hurry. He only snorted.

"This is the forest of death, and phase two of the chuunin exams where the rules are pretty much free for all. Of course there are going to be people in trouble. What, did you just think of that? Don't be stupid."

"I liked it better when he was depressed." Roku muttered as he tuned out Itsuya's long winded rant. They covered ground rather quickly, the sound of snarling and scrambling feet reaching their ears.

They all but burst into the area. They hadn't exactly mastered the form of stealth and subtleness yet.

A bear swung its head to look at them, beady eyes shining where it stood at the base of a tree, paws outstretched in mid swipe at the red-head that had scrambled up the tree in a fit of pure panic.

Red eyes swivelled to look at them, tears pouring from her eyes and landing on the lenses of her glasses from where they sat awkwardly on the tip of her nose, probably askew from hurrying up the tree.

She did seem to be hugging it for dear life.

"Please, help me!" Karin called out once the realization that people had actually come had sunken it. It didn't really matter that during this test, everyone was an enemy. She was scared, and lost, and most of all, she was separated from her team.

They were going to kill her.

Especially since she was currently carrying her teams scroll.

If only she could pull herself together long enough, she could try to sense their charka and locate them. But at the moment, she was too out of it to even attempt it.

Before team 1 could consider whether they wanted to actually help the poor girl or not, the bear turned its body towards them and charged, making up their decision on the spot. There was a small hiss from Roku before the sound of the sound of a kunai getting pulled from his weapons pouched punctuated the air, Itsuya and Kyoko wisely jumping back and out of the bear's path.

A move Roku would've done if he wasn't planning to take the bear on head on.

"What are you doing you moron? He's going to crush you before you can get the chance to even cut him!" Itsuya called out oh-so-encouragingly as Roku spread his legs and lowered himself into a stance, holding the kunai in front of him like a very tiny katana.

He was still practicing with the katana at home with his dad, but he wasn't good enough yet to inherit the family sword. Until then, kunais would have to do.

Roku just glared before his attention swivelled to the bear. It was almost upon him.

Then his eyes narrowed and he shot up into the air. Dirt squelched under the bear's paws as it tried to find its now lost target, head swishing to the side in an almost frantic, deranged haze.

Roku twisted in the air and landed with great force on the bear's shoulders, the kunai driving straight into the bear's skull, the copper haired male grunting from the force as it drove through the skull, and straight into the brain, crimson liquid splattering up onto his arms.

The bear gave a yowl of death and pain as it skittered around the area, smashing into a tree in its last few minutes of life. Roku held onto the blade of the kunai so as not to get thrown off as the bear turned in vicious circles before it tumbled over in a morbid dance of death, Roku still crouched on his shoulders.

Roku righted himself and stood on the ground. Then he yanked the kunai rather forcibly out of the bear's skull, bits of bone and brain sticking to the weapon and littering the floor. Kyoko and Itsuya only watched from the bases of the trees at his act of savagery that they had never witnessed before.

"You know, if you could do something like that, why didn't you do that when we were getting chased by snakes the last time we were here?" Itsuya spoke up as he stepped forward as Roku wiped his weapon on the bear's furry hide.

"Snakes are a lot more unpredictable and quicker than bears." Roku spoke up as he inspected the kunai before putting it in his pocket. Kyoko just looked between Roku and the bear as the two males of the group now turned towards the female who had stayed rooted in the tree for the whole ordeal, tears now disappearing now that the bear was no longer after her.

Roku seemed…older. Smarter.

Was it strange to think that just because he seemed to kill a bear with so much ease? And the fact that he was so calm about it?

Kyoko suddenly felt like she was inexperienced next to him, even though they were the same age and had gone to the Academy for the same number of years, and had done the same missions together.

It was unsettling.

Karin slid down the tree carefully, her back pressed against it's trunk as she watched the people in front of her with careful eyes. Now that the danger of the bear was gone, they were the immediate threat. It would be extremely hard to believe that they did this out of the kindness of their hearts.

She was so startled when they started talking to her that she almost stumbled when her feet hit the ground.

"You! Do you have an earth scroll?"

Her heart froze, her chest tightening. But like a good shinobi, she lied through her teeth. "No. I got separated from my teammates. One of them has our scroll and unfortunately it's a heaven scroll." She lied, her voice rising a little higher than it's normal pitch, but she prayed they didn't notice.

Roku, the one who had spoken, frowned, shoulders slumping as he nodded.

"You moron! She could easily be lying! Don't go around believing everything she says, she's an enemy when we're in this forest!" Itsuya snapped, making sweat break out underneath Karin's grass forehead protector. Itsuya was going to win this chuunin exam and he wasn't going to let the fact that his teammates were soft affect his chances.

He would just have to make up for them.

Eyes snapping to her, he darted and Karin let out a yelp before pain shot up her abdomen.

"Itsuya!" Kyoko yelled out in a scolding tone as she rounded on the smaller boy, hair flying around her. He didn't dignify her with a response as he pulled his elbow out of the red head's gut in time to avoid the disorganized swing the aimed at his head as Karin wheezed for breath. He dodged to the side, grabbing her arm back painfully behind his back before he brought his free hand to his mouth, teeth sinking into his glove and pulling it off.

Karin whimpered in pain as he pulled on her hand once more before his other hand splayed out across the side of her face…yet the skin of his hand had a weird texture. It was soft…but something was off about it.

Karin's heart was thumping wildly in her chest, the pain in her arm shooting to her shoulder. She was caught by enemies! She was going to die! She couldn't even try to struggle without feeling like she was tearing her arm off.

Then she felt a pull.

She gagged and choked for air as her lungs failed, her heart stuttering in her chest as her chakra rushed like a river to Itsuya's hand. Her skin paled, her veins bulging as the chakra raced through her system, eager to leave her.

And all she could to was stare with a breathless, gaping face as her organs began to shut down.

Something akin to fear washed over the child's teammates as they watched what was happening to Karin…what Itsuya was doing to Karin. The look was much more distinguished and disturbing in Kyoko's mind and she watched the life drain from the girl in front of her. Kyoko moved with incredible speed as she raced forward, her hands grabbing Itsuya and all but flinging him away from the red head as if he was some disease.

"What are you doing? You're killing her!" She shouted, as her mind raced. She couldn't believe he was killing someone so easily! And right before their eyes! "ARE YOU INSANE?"

Memories of a black raven with a letter of death attached to its leg fluttered to her mind and she suddenly felt sick and repulsed. Wouldn't something like that happen if this girl got killed here? Wouldn't one of those horrid messages get sent to her family?

Wouldn't they cry? Wouldn't they grieve?

She wasn't much younger than this strange girl.

Karin choked and heaved on the ground, her body shaking as her organs tried to function, her veins pulsing as her body tried to organize itself, rousing itself from its confusion. She was so helpless.

"What the hell's your problem?" Itsuya shouted as he rubbed her neck, the main point of his body Kyoko had grabbed when she had flung him away.

"You were killing her! We just need to know if she has the scroll! You don't have to kill her!" She screamed.

"I'm a ninja! It's in our job description to kill people! It's kill or be killed, they teach us that at the Academy or were you absent the day they taught us that? Please don't tell me you're too much of a soft-hearted coward to actually kill someone!" He spat back, hackles rising.

Who was she to shout at him after so rudely interrupting him? After all, he wasn't going to kill her! He was only draining half of her life, but now that Kyoko didn't let him cut the connection between the two of them correctly, her chakra and energy was going to continue to slowly leak from her until she actually did die!

He decided to so rudely point this out to her, interrupting her red faced, furious screams as she shouted at him.

"Now I really will have to kill her!" He shouted, glaring as he marched back to where Karin was heaving on the ground, body trembling as her hands fumbled against the dirt.

"NO!"

"SHE'LL DIE ANYWAYS!" He roared.

Their faces were both flushed, eyes gleaming with equal amounts of anger. Roku just watched the two, not knowing what to do. He knew perfectly well where Itsuya was coming from, though watching him drain Karin had been startling, but he was confused as hell as to what was causing such a strong reaction in Kyoko.

There obviously had to be something. She had to have some kind of reason.

He looked past the two who were glaring and hissing words at each other and blinked slowly as he took in the grass nin.

"Guys…"

"WHAT?"

He flinched back as they snapped at him in unison. Their teamwork was both going down the drain, and improving all at the same time if that could even happen.

"She died." He pointed out, his hand gesturing to the now prone form on the ground, her hand slack against the ground, and her chest no longer heaving for breath that wouldn't fill it's lungs.

Kyoko went stock still before shadows fell over her face.

"Way to go." Itsuya seethed, too riled up to let the death of the girl calm him down completely.

Kyoko walked forward in silence before she reached Karin's body and bent over it. With deft hands, she rifled through the clothes before she stood up, scroll in her hands. It was almost too much to know that Itsuya had been right all along to assume that Karin had lied about having the scroll, and how that Karin had died even though Kyoko had tried to throw Itsuya off of her.

Kyoko turned and threw the scroll with as much force as she could at the tan child, Itsuya catching it with a grunt before it could smack into his face.

"I hope you're happy." Kyoko muttered before she stalked into the forest, leaving team 1 behind. Itsuya watched her go, his grip on the scroll tightening before his shoulders slumped, his usually sharp eyes rounding ever so slightly as she disappeared from sight.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmares seemed to rush through Sasuke's like never ending movie making him scream or cry, arching against whatever he was lying on.

Sakura watched him in worry as she ate her fish, nibbling on it gingerly. She wasn't exactly the best cook when it came to open fire cooking, but it would have to do. Especially since she could only move one arm, the other bound tightly in a makeshift sling that she had to instruct Naruto how to make after she came to once again.

The blond male was gone to try and get more food that they could try and force down Sasuke's throat to keep him healthy. Trying to force feed him a slightly burnt piece of fish didn't go well as he choked and gagged, making them hit his back until he coughed the piece up.

Yet even that didn't wake him up.

He had broken out into a high fever and Sakura was scared that they were losing him. They couldn't stay around in one spot for too long, so after they ate and rested for awhile, Naruto would heft the brunette on his back and they would travel until they could find yet another place to take a break and rest.

Sakura would check up on Sasuke again while Naruto went to find berries or something that they could easily turn into liquid and make Sasuke drink. They had moved about in complete silence for the first two days, but then the screaming had started.

Screaming, crying…symptoms of a nightmare.

Sakura had tried one time, while he was screaming, to sit by his bed and hold his hand in comfort. But he had all but cringed away from her touch, howling away to the sky. When he had screamed when Naruto was around, the Namikaze had had the audacity to place his hand over the Uchiha's mouth to try and muffle the noises so that they could keep cover better.

Sakura had whacked him over the head for that one.

"Sakura-chan?"

"Did you find anything?" Sakura asked, eyes instantly finding the orange clad male as he came into view. He gave a small nod and fished out a small fistful of berries from his pants pocket, Naruto careful to keep them as un-squished as possible as he moved around. It didn't really matter if they got squished or not since they were trying to turn them into liquid, but they would still stain Naruto's outfit all the same.

And it was the principle of the matter.

"Great." She smiled as Naruto deposited the berries rather sheepishly onto her lap, since there were too many to just trade hands, seeing how his hands were larger than hers. Something he had never really thought about before until the first time he had tried to just hand her a handful of berries and they had tumbled out of her small hands.

Behind them, Sasuke screamed and Naruto jumped.

Naruto felt concern, yet slight annoyance.

Why wasn't he waking up? Why couldn't he stop screaming? How many people could hear that?

"Everyone in the forest can probably hear that." He mumbled instead, careful to step away from Sakura in case she decided to swipe at him for being rude at their friend who was obviously in pain.

"I doubt anyone can hear him at all." She denied with a sniff.

Oh, if she only knew how wrong she was.
End Notes:
A/N: So that scene with Kyoko and Itsuya yelling at each other honestly came out of nowhere. It's interesting how the story goes when your characters begin to really take on their own personalities.

And for anyone who didn't read my top message, SasukeXKyoko is the only certain pairing for now. All other pairings that I might've PM'd you about, I've decided to revoke. I'm going to let the characters blossom with the story.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=9806