Best Friends Till the End, Better Off Lovers by ravenoftheshadows12, ravenoftheshadows12
Summary: TenTen and Neji start to find they have a connection they hadn't known was there.
Categories: General Fiction > Naruto Characters: Hinata Hyuuga, Rock Lee, Naruto Uzumaki, Neji Hyuuga, Pair NejiTen, Sakura Haruno, Tenten
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: A Bond Of Heart and Soul
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 3841 Read: 9969 Published: 01/07/08 Updated: 20/07/08
Story Notes:
Please be kind this is my first naruto related story so try to work with me. My friend 23shinofang23 has written 2 or 3 stories so she is my co-author so we are going to try and write a really good story.
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.

1. Chapter 1 - TenTen's Feelings and Neji's Heart by 23shinofang23

2. Chapter 2 - A Struggle by ravenoftheshadows12

3. Chapter 3 by 23shinofang23

4. Chapter 4 by 23shinofang23

5. Chapter 5 by 23shinofang23

6. Chapter 6 by 23shinofang23

7. Chapter 7 by 23shinofang23

Chapter 1 - TenTen's Feelings and Neji's Heart by 23shinofang23
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.
Me and 23shinofang23 are writing from TenTen's Point of view but we might change it up. Each time TenTen moves ahead a couple of hours or so we will refer to each section as mission with a number like mission 1 or 2 and who is there with TenTen or if it is just her. P.S. We are trying to keep the chapters short so you get more chapters and good stuff.
Mission 1 NejiTenLee (Naruto)
So we are on another mission me, Neji and Lee. Plus we have Naruto who is so reckless in almost everything he does but I most admit he gets the job done. But who really cares he is a complete idiot and this isn't about him. It has more to do with me (not to be selfish or any thing) and... Neji. See for a while now Neji has changed for the better. He seems not so cold about life and we have been a team for a while and.....and... well fine... I might some feelings for him that go beyond 'just friends' but i don't think he has feelings for me.
Mission 2 Ten
Well we have just returned from our mission and we are a little tired but I think we will live. Now I have a small problem see, I want to know if he likes me back so I am trying to decide if i should go for it and start flirting with him to see if he likes me the same way or should I play it cool and see how he reacts to other girls and me. Hmmmm...... I want to try the flirting because it might work but Lee might notice and if Neji doesn't like me then i will really make a fool of my self.
Well I am going to try subtle flirting first and see if he returns the flirts or if he brushs them off. Oh this is so hard! ....... I know I will ask Lee but i won't mention it is me and Neji I am talking about and since he has a good relationship with Sakura I think he will have good advice.
Mission 3 TenLee (Sakura)
"Lee get over here!" I called. He strolled over with Sakura at his side.
"Hey TenTen how are you?" He asked.
" I would be better but i need advice for my friend." I explained. We sat on a bench that was nearby and he waited for me to talk.
"See my friend... she really likes this guy and they have known each other for a while and she was wondering how she could tell if he liked her or not." I told him. He took a minute to come up with an answer.
"Well first are you talking about you and Neji?" He questioned.
"No of course not! I just didn't know how to answer my friend cause i haven't really had a boyfriend." I laughed nervously.
"Well then you should tell your friend that she should try maybe to flirt subtlely at first to see if he flirts back." He said.
"I see." I muttered.
"Then," he continued, "She should ask him to do something with her. Not as a date just to hangout. You know." He urged. I went silent for a minute to just take it in. Then Sakura added her own advice.
"Also tell your friend that she shouldn't rush things but like Lee said try to do things together to plant the idea that your friend enjoys spending time with him and he might start to realize your friend likes him." Sakura gently added. I realized they were right. I couldn't believe Bushy Brows was right.
"Thank you guys so much i will tell my friend. I hope you guys have a nice day. See ya!" I yelled as i hurried away.
Mission 4 Neji
Why does she drive me crazy? TenTen always trys to be the one of the best. She never realizes how annoying she can be always nagging Lee and myself over something. Yet she is beautiful and i can't stop thinking about her if i tried. She is intoxicating. She is independent and so proud and these feelings I have for her are so weird. I don't know how this could have happened. I had no attraction to her to this point then all of a sudden i love here like that. I mean come on when i say love i mean it.
I stood up and started pacing. Why? I couldn't figure it out. I heard a gentle knock at my door. I crossed the room and opened it. It was my cousin Hinata.
"Hey Neji. I was wondering if you could help me?" She shyly asked.
"Only if you can help me." I said calmly. She nodded. I ushered us into two chairs in my room.
"Alright," she said, "Tell me what is troubling you." I stared for a moment then started in.
"Well you have to promise that you won't tell." I pleadingly asked. She nodded and I continued.
"See I have had no attraction to....." I hesitated. "To TenTen and I am now starting to feel this overwhelming need to be with her and it happened slowly and then bam. I don't know what to do." I shook my head to clear the feelings inside of me and when I glanced over to Hinata she was deep in thought. We sat like this for about ten minutes when she finally spoke.
" Well I am having the same trouble with...... Naruto." She confessed.
I sat dumfounded. I couldn't belive my cousin had the hots for Naruto. Ewwwww..... that totally grossed me out but if she really felt the same way as i did she could help me fix this.
End Notes:
This isn't finished yet so if you read this then tell how it is so far.
Chapter 2 - A Struggle by ravenoftheshadows12
Author's Notes:

In this chapter Neji is going to Lee to ask about his friend, and Sakura tags along to.
Mission 5 NejiLee (Sakura)
I decided after listening to Hinata rant on and on about how she thought Naruto didn't like her becaus e her chest is to small and she is so shy and blah blah blah, that i should speak with Lee since he was dating Sakura.
I met them under a tree on a bench.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ROTS: Hey guys i know i know your wondering what happened between Hinata and Neji so Ithought i would bring them in and ask them.
Neji: It was the strangest conversation I have ever had with Hinata.
ROTS: Hinata?
Hinata: Well I think my chest is too small and i thought Neji would understand but he just sat there in what seemed as pure terror and disgust.
ROTS: Thanks guys. As you can see it was like your parents talking to you about sex you know everything about but don't want to hear about it. So i will just let you resume watching this our you might start to get bored. Bye
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lee and Sakura were sitting and cuddling. I walked up and sat down.
"Hey Neji how are you today?" Lee asked.
"Fine i just wanted to ask you a question," I said, " What happens if you love someone so much that you don't like them and you can't stop thinking about them?" Lee took some time trying to find the words that would seem right. I didn't mind to much so i sat there to and relaxed. Finally he had found his anwser.
"This doesn't happen to be about TenTen does it?" He asked.
"No of course not I was wondering." I stammered.
"Well then you must find out if this person shares your feelings," Lee started, " Then you must try hanging out with her to get this need to see her or think about her off your mind." He said. I sat there for a moment to see if that would work. I wasn't sure but Sakura made up my mind.
" Neji if you can't stop thinking about this person then maybe your mind is trying to tell you your supposed to be together." Sakura suggested.
"Thank you you guys." II said. I waved as i walked away. As i walked away I knew what i had to do.
Mission 6 TenTen
I knew that
Chapter 3 by 23shinofang23
Mission 6 TenTen
I knew that with all of the courage in the world I still wouldn't be brave enough to tell Neji how I felt. He was always so serious. There was never time for affection with him. That's when I saw him walking towards me. I turned away from him so I wouldn't be reminded of how I loved him. Just as I thought he was going to walk past me and this whole thing would blow over, I felt hands on my shoulders he turned me around, kissed me and walked away. calm as ever.
I sat there for minutes, hours, days, shocked. But when I looked at my watch, I was only sitting there for an hour.
'We're due for a mission soon....' I thought to myself.
'Wait! We're due for a mission soon!' I jumped up and started pacing, just repeating to myself, "We're due to a mission soon."
Five minutes of pacing, mumbling like a crazy person, and thinking of what to do next got me no where.
"Tenten!" It was my sensei. "Life treatin' ya good?"
"Not so much, sensei."
"Well, a basic mission will get your mind off your troubles!"
"Oh, great."
Mission 7 Neji
I smirked a little bit. She knows how I feel, now she can take it from here. I approached my best friend and waved. Now that he was finnally away from Sakura.
"I showed her how I felt!" He gave me a high-five.
"How?"
"I kissed her and walked away!"
"...Neji."
"What?"
"You can't do that to girls! They worry! They think the worst!"
"What can go wrong when your kissin' the Neji?"
"Exactly! You may not think something's wrong but she does! You've got to talk to her. And you've better think of something to say quickly! We've got a mission in ten minutes!"
.......Crap.....
Chapter 4 by 23shinofang23
Mission 7 still Neji
I wiped the sweat beads from the back of my neck. Tenten looked tense, but I thought it would be best if we just stuck to the mission.
"Alright, youthful students? Are you ready to kick some litterbug's ass?" yelled my overly enthusiastic sensei. And then my overly enthusiastic best friend relied back.
"Hai, Gai sensei!"
"Alright, Tenten & Lee, clean up over there. Neji and I-"
"Gai-sensei! Shouldn't Tenten and Neji work together to learn the importance of teamwork?"
"By God, Lee, you're right! Lee and I will work over by those to trees! Tenten, Neji, you two will clean up within a 20 ft radius of that rock!"
Lee knew what he was doing. He turned to me and tried to give him my most serious look. He just turned his back to me and put his thumb up.
Mission 8 Tenten
Neji picked up a single styrofoam cup, looked at it and put it in the trash can. He did this all within 8 minutes. A little bit sluggish, don't you think.
"Neji, what's wrong?"
"Oh....you know."
"No, I don't."
"You know how I feel about you. And no matter how much you puah me away I'll always feel the same."
I dropped the balled up piece of paper that I was carrying. I looked at him stunned and nearly tackled him with my hug.
"Oh my God, Neji, I love you too!"
He stumbled backwards and fell.
"Ehehe."
"I was so worried. I told Lee but he said to tell them how you feel when it's not that easy."
"Oh, I know it's not."
"So..."
I looked up at him, eyes twinkling.
"When's our first date going to be?"
"This Fri-erm-daaay?"
"Sounds great."
Mission 9 Neji
"Shit, Shit, SHIT! I've never been on a date! I need a reference with me so I know just how slow to take it."
Just then I saw Naruto and Hinata walking down the street, with Naruto's arm around Hinata's waist. Naruto was doing the big dumbass smile thing. My cousin was acting as she usually does: fidgeting, giggleing and blushing. Total girl. That's why I loved Tenten. She's mature and strong. I know she doesn't need me but- OW!
I bumped into Naruto and Hinata. Oh, yeah, I was still walking while I was thinking.
"Watch where your going Neji!" Naruto yelled down at me.
"Hey! I was just-" Breathe Neji. You have a favor to ask.
"Would you guys mind going on a double date with me and Tenten?"
Naruto smiled again. "I knew you two would fall for each other eventually.
I just glared at him more. I hate it when people think they know everything. My cousin broke Naruto's terrified gaze and my evil one.
"S-sure, Neji-kun. We offered Shikamaru to take a break from work on Friday, if that works..."
"Great I'll meet you at the sweet shop."
Chapter 5 by 23shinofang23
Mission 10 Neji
Our first date went well, but Tenten still does not know how I truly feel. She knows I like her, but that's not enough. I pulled her over to the side and we took a walk. I was so nervous to tell her that I waited until the last minute. We were standing on a bridge with a single street light over and bubbleing waterunder us. I held her shoulders as she stood stupid.
"Tenten, I have loved you for the many years I've known you. I love you, Tenten! I love you!"
She smiled and her eyes shined.
"I love you too, Neji."
-----------------------One year later-------------
Mission 11 Tenten.
Neji has told me to meet him at the bridge where we told each other our true feelings. It is our anniversary, maybe he's planning something special. Oh my god, we've just come of age! Maybe he's going to propose.

Mission 12 Neji
I'm going to propose. It's a wonderful diamond ring. It has her name engraved on the inside of it. She's a bit late though. There was a rustle in the trees behind me.
"Byakuugan." I mumbled quietly trying not to be discovered.
There was a figure holding an umbrella. The person had no chakra, no vitals, no nothing. What was it?
"What a lovely but formal cologne your wearing. Waiting for someone? A girl?"
I deactivated my byakuugan before turning around to face the stranger.
"Well, yes, I...um..."
It was a girl my age. She wore nothing but a tube top, a skirt, and sandals. She was very fit and pale, with glitter spread over her collarbone. My jaw dropped. I pinched my nose and turned away. I'm about to get engaged. I can't go around checking out other girls. On the other hand,it's not like I'm TRYING to look at her that way. I'm only male.
I wiped my bloody nose off and turned back around. I observed her other features, like her jet black hair, or her icy blue eyes.
"What's wrong, Neji?" She said innocently, putting her finger on her lip.
"Nothing, just waiting for this girl." I replied ignoreing the fact that she knew my name.
"Oh well, Why did you drink before you saw her? Your alcohol blood substance is already 0.36."
I had been drinking a bit but I wasn't drunk. "Just to loosen up my nerves a bit."
"Why are you so nervous? Why are your pheramone levels so high? So many questions..."
"Alright then, why are you wearing THAT in the winter at night?"
"Oh I find the cold-" In one moment, she had her hands on the back of my head. Her mouth was so close to my ear and her umbrella had disappeared.
"-exhillarating..." (Sp?)
She nuzzeld my neck as I stood helpless, gaping. She was hot but this was not my idea of fun. And then I felt a sharp spike of pain in my neck. I couldn't moved.
Tenten appeared at the worst time. She took one look at the stranger sucking at my ivory skin and ran away.
The wake of loss of Tenten, I broke out of the spell she had me under. I pushed her off and tried to run after my girl. Unfortunatly, I had lost too much blood and passed out.
Chapter 6 by 23shinofang23
Mission 12 Tenten.
How could he do this? He was always so smart and so sensitive! When I came home crying my mother asked me what was wrong, but I ignored her. I'll just sleep on it and I'll have a girl's night tommorow to take this all off my mind. I just wish I could stop crying and get some sleep.

The next night, I had Sakura, Hinata, and Ino over. Hell, even Temari was in town. I know she wasn't part of the rookie 9, but I needed all the help I could get. Sakura brought out our pints of ice cream and several spoons and we talked in our PJ's and laughed but I couldn't keep the secret for long.
"Neji's cheating on me!" I yelled out randomly.
Hinata and Ino looked shocked, while Temari looked up and rolled her tongue in her mouth. Sakura sighed and tried to cheer me up.
"Look, Tenten. Neji's very sincere. He wouldn't do that to you."
"But I saw another girl sucking on his neck!"
Ino intervined.
"Neji's the perfect guy. He's sensitive and kind. Sasuke sometimes won't even pay attention to me."
"Same with Lee." said Sakura. "He can't go two days without training, you know that Tenten. -sigh- He brought Gai-sensei on our first date."
"N-neji's like a brother to me. I know, if he was cheating on you, he wouldn't ask you to meet him there. Not even Naruto does that."
Temari chuckled. "There is no perfect guy."
Sakura looked at her shocked.
"Listen to me, everyone has a flaw. Shikamaru is cool and smart, but you know what? Nothing turns him on more than me being mean to him. You know where he is now?"
I shook my head.
"Waiting for me to meet him at a club. Now, see Neji is a great guy but he does a flaw, and it's not him cheating on you."
Hinata emphasized her point. "Yeah, I mean it all loks a little sketchy don't you think? Since I live with him I'll talk to him for you, and investigate this a little more."
We sat silent for a minute and then started trading stories about our boyfriends. Did you know that Ino got Kunai knives for an anniversary present? And Naruto ended up serendaing to Neji's bedroom window on her birthday instead of Hinata's. That was the heaviest brick Naruto ever felt upon his skull. And Shika sings "Me & Mrs.Jones" to Temari everyday.

Mission 13 Neji
I can't get up from my bed. This pale girl keeps taunting me saying my name telling me it'd all going to be alright.
"No! It's not going to be alright! You took away the love of my life!"
I sat on the edge of my bed, looking down at the floor, when Hinata entered the room.
"Good morning, Neji."
"You weren't at dinner last night, Hinata. Where were you?"
"I had a sleepover to go to at Tenten's and-"
I got up and grabbed her shirt.
"Really?!? What did she talk about? Did she say we're not dating anymore?"
"She was really upset because she thought you were cheating on her."
The pale girl chuckled behind me. I pointed at her.
"You shut up! You don't deserve to talk!"
She replied. "I just can't believe this unfolded just the way I wanted it to."
"Neji, who are you talking to?" Hinata asked clearly confused.
"Don't you see? She's evil! She's ruining my life!"
"I'm gonna go get-"
"Can you please just tell Tenten that I'm not cheating on her? And that I love her?"
"Of course."
She left me with the pale girl, who just kept staring and smiling. She twirled one of my kunai knives around her fingers.
"Who are you?"
"Well, I can't give you a name but-"
"Just tell me!"
"I am the angel of insanity."
Chapter 7 by 23shinofang23
Author's Notes:
in this story Team 7 is still together
Mission 13 still Neji

"What?" I asked in severe confusion.
"I visit people that have had a horrible loss and make them miserable. Sometimes I succeed and drive them crazy sometimes, I fail and they become even more powerful than before. But I always try."
"What kind of horrible loss?"
"Death mostly. I've visited Naruto, Sasuke, and Gaara. Gaara told his brother and sister about me so I couldn't loom over them. I'm seen when I'm chosen to be seen."
"Well, your not going to get a hold of me!"
"Oh, yeah?"
My uncle came in the room with Hinata. This is great. He can see things that Hinata can't.
"Uncle Hiashi! I need help! The pale girl! Right there! Activate the Byakuugan!"
"Sit down, nephew." Hiashi turned his byakuugan on and searched around the room.
I couldn't take her whispering in my ear anymore.
"Look, I don't have time for this! I'm going to talk to someone I KNOW will listen!"

I arrived at the training ground where Team 7 was training. I ran up to the guysand without even saying 'Hi!' Sakura slaps me.
"What was that for?"
She just ignored me.
"Kaka-sensei, may I interrupt?"
"For a moment, I guess..." He just opened his book and walked off.
"Naruto, Sasuke. The pale girl is following me."
Sasuke looked at me like I was insane.
"She's driving me insane. She says she's somekind of angel and-"
"Ahhhhhhh." Naruto said catching on. "Well, to get rid of her you have to do is undo something that she has done. Like when she tried to get people to reject me, I still made friends and she vanished over time."
Sasuke added in. "When she had me go almost nuts with lust for power, I drained myself of all power, and she was toast. What did she do to you?"
The angel, who followed me there warned me. "I'm still here you know."
"Shut up I know you're there! You won't let me forget it!"
I turned back to the guys. "She made Tenten think I was cheating on her when I was about to propose to her."
Naruto looked shocked. "Oh my god, dude!-"
"I know."
"Why do you want to get married? Once your her husband you can't get any! Why do you think I haven't.....proposed to....er."
He stopped when he realized I was Hinata's cousin and practically her brother. I punched him in the face "lightly" and moved on.
"So, if I marry Tenten then she'll leave?"
"Exactly." Sasuke said simply.

Mission 14 The final Mission Tenten
Okay, Hinata said that Neji WAS acting a little bit of his rocker, so I can expect anything when I see him. I sat at the bridge, he'd probably be here.
And he was, panting as if he had sprinted here, and speaking very quickly.
"Look, Tenten. I know what you saw look like a girl but it was an illusion!"
"Well, I-"
"It's this whole big thing with me being an orphan. You understand how tough that can be, right?"
"No, actually I-"
"You're right! You don't you have your parents! But still, you're always right. Will you marry me?"
"Uh....er...This is a tad bit shocking." HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WHAT DO I DO?
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have done that! But please say yes!"
"Y-yes?"