Bright Spots by niveaus
Summary: As Naruto and Hinata's relationship begins to blossom they are caught up in a whirlwind adventure of kidnapping, deceit and danger from which they must both use all their abilities to escape, while the return of Sasuke into their lives ultimately puts them into a position where the stability of Konoha itself is at stake.
Categories: Het Romance > Top Six Pairs > Naruto and Hinata Characters: Hinata Hyuuga, Kiba Inuzuka, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 45808 Read: 44775 Published: 17/04/07 Updated: 21/07/09
Story Notes:
NaruHina one-shots(chs. 1-3)/fluff(4-12)/adventure(12+) beginning during the time lapse. Suggest if you're not an extreme NaruHina fan you skip the first few chapters...

1. NaruHina by niveaus

2. NaruHina 2 by niveaus

3. Hinata by niveaus

4. NaruHina 3 by niveaus

5. Naruto by niveaus

6. NaruHina 4 by niveaus

7. NaruHina 5 by niveaus

8. Sakura by niveaus

9. NaruHina 7 by niveaus

10. NaruHina 8 by niveaus

11. Kiba by niveaus

12. NaruHina 9 by niveaus

13. Sasuke's Story by niveaus

14. A Change of Plans by niveaus

15. Teamwork by niveaus

16. Alone by niveaus

17. Under Attack by niveaus

18. The Heiress by niveaus

19. Hyuuga Hiashi by niveaus

20. A Mission by niveaus

21. Sasuke in Trouble by niveaus

22. Setting Things Straight by niveaus

23. Fan tai Fang by niveaus

24. Indifference? by niveaus

25. Believe in You by niveaus

26. Underground by niveaus

27. Silence by niveaus

28. The Right Thing by niveaus

29. Team Seven Reunited by niveaus

30. Jailbreak by niveaus

31. Confrontation by niveaus

32. Sasuke's Decision by niveaus

NaruHina by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I'm not really a NaruHina fan, but I love their 'moments.' So here I'm just trying to accurately portray the characters in a realistic scenario. I hope you enjoy, I've an idea for another one if popular. This is set after episode 136, but before Shippuden.

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or Hinata, or anything from their world.
Hinata went out of her way to walk past Ichiraku's ramen shop on her way home from training. However, even the briefest of glances from the other side of the road told her that Naruto was not there. With a mixture of relief and disappointment she hurried on, head down. She was terrified and anxious for this situation to be resolved, but Naruto appeared as indifferent to her as always. It was true that he had become much more friendly since the Chuunin Exams, but so had everyone. Even Neji.

She was woken from her reverie by a hand on her shoulder. An orange sleeved hand.

"Hinata?"

As always a dozen responses flitted through her mind, but all she could articulate was a faint "oh!" followed by "Naruto-kun."

"What are you doing here?" he asked not unkindly.

"Umm... eto... ah" Hinata stuttered. She felt a blush welling up under her cheek. Naruto laughed. For a few seconds the question had seemed important, but his mind had moved on already.

"I'm on a top secret mission for Tsunade Oba-san," he said loudly, indicating a clanking bag of what were unmistakably sake bottles. "Well, see you later!" He turned back and began to leave.

Why was it always like this? They never had a proper conversation. Naruto always rushed off, and she... she never said anything anyway. It was her own fault. Hinata's head drooped.

"Oh, Hinata?"

She spun round. Naruto had turned back.

"People have been saying I should talk to you. About you liking someone or something?" His eyes were narrow and inscrutable.

Now she blushed properly, she could feel the blood rushing to her face.

"Well, if it's Sasuke, don't worry. I already promised Sakura-chan I'd rescue him. You can count on me!" He grinned widely. Once again a bitter mixture of relief and disappointment welled up in her. It must have been Kiba that had talked to Naruto - she would talk to him later and set him right. This was her business! She didn't want anyone meddling.

"Umm, umm," She stuttered again, her face downcast.

"Is it something else?" He sounded suddenly serious.

'Someone else,', she wanted to whisper. He was never going to wake up to her feelings! And it seemed he would never change his fellings for her. Hinata sighed.

"Well, anything you want, just tell me! I'll always be here for you," he said with a wide smile, touching her shoulder again and running off, bottles clanking.


Perhaps things weren't so bad after all. A small smile crept onto Hinata's face. And maybe she wouldn't talk to Kiba. He was only trying to help, and she didn't want to argue, especially not with a teammate.


A warm glow spread through her body as she wandered home, her thoughts somewhere else. She didn't even notice her hand come to rest on her shoulder, where the glow seemed to originate.
NaruHina 2 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or anything from their world.
It was a couple of weeks before Hinata plucked up the courage to walk past Ichiraku's again. However, Naruto wasn't there. She didn't see him the next day either. Or the next. On the fourth day she even dared to stay on the same side of the road as the restaurant. It was on the ninth day, when she was beginning to get used to her new route home, that her contented wanderings were interrupted by a questioning voice:

"Hinata?" Naruto sounded serious. Hinata froze, then very slowly turned to face him. "Are you okay?" he asked. "I've seen you here four times now, and yesterday you even walked round the block twice. Every time you look into Ichiraku's as you pass. Why don't you just go in if you want to eat there?"

"But... But... I never saw you. And with these eyes..." Her voice trailed off, but suddenly Naruto laughed.

"Hehheh. I've been practising going undercover. Ero-sennin says I stand out too much, so I've been transforming every day and trying not to get recognised. Ichiraku's is the toughest, I think they've gotten suspicious because of the amount I eat!"

Hinata felt mortified. He had seen her looking for him! It was no relief to her that instead of a blush breaking out her blood seemed to be draining away. 'I have to go and hide' was her last thought before she fainted.



When Hinata came too she was sitting on a sofa in what appeared to be the back room of a restaurant. She smelt the air. Ramen? Slowly she moved to the door and looked out round the frame. She was in Ichiraku's, and Naruto was devouring a bowl of ramen on the other side of the counter. Naruto! It was all she could do to stop herself fainting again. What must he think of her?

"Hinata!" Hinata looked up with an expression of panic as there was a flash of orange and Naruto was standing beside her. She began to back away, fighting down her blush, but Naruto grabbed her arm and pulled her to a stool.

"Here," he said, "have the rest of my ramen."

The rest... of his ramen? Naruto was giving her his precious ramen?

"No Naruto-kun, thank you but..." she stuttered, pushing the bowl back to him. But Naruto was cheerfully chatting with Ichiraku. She looked down at the ramen. It did smell good. And wasn't this what she had always wanted? To eat ramen with Naruto? She took a small mouthful. It was so different from the expensive delicacies they ate at home. Spicy and hot, she felt her eyes begin to moisten. How strong did Naruto like his ramen? But maybe... maybe she liked it like this too.

"Come on Hinata, eat up! It'll get cold." Naruto had returned his attention to her. "You must have trained too hard, fainting like that. You need more ramen!"

"Oh no Naruto-kun. I'm fine. I...I have to go home," she mumbled, slipping off the stool.

"Huh?" Naruto looked puzzled. Then his face cleared. "Well, see you later then!"

Hinata stumbled out of the restaurant and round the corner where she lent heavily against a wooden lamp post. What had she done, what had she done! She was so embarassed! She musn't ever come this way again. Ever. Or at least not for a week or so. Oh dear. She was very confused. Her feet began to take her back to the restaurant. Naruto-kun is there, he invited me to eat ramen with him. It would be rude not too. But her head panicked and she sighed and began to walk wearily the other way.

"Hinata! Hinata!" Footsteps sounded behind her. "Ichiraku said I should walk you home." He grinned, adjusting his forehead protector. "What if you faint again!"

Underneath her shocked expression a small smile formed. 'That's more likely to happen if you do walk me home' she thought. But it seemed she didn't have a choice.

"Come on!"

She had to run to keep up with him. 'Has he forgotten I'm meant to be ill?' Hinata wondered. They soon arrived at her gate and Naruto stopped.

"That was fun!" he said. "You should come and eat ramen again soon!" And before Hinata could even think of blushing Naruto was gone.



Again a small smile formed, deep inside her.

"Maybe I will," she whispered, "maybe I will."
Hinata by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I'm a little bored of the hopeless NaruHina conversations in the previous two... and they make Hinata seem a little too obsessed with Naruto. The problem is we see Hinata so rarely without Naruto that it's hard to imagine what she's really like. But I hope you like this.

It might be a while before I'm able to update again, but I'll keep writing so there'll hopefully be plenty when I do get back online. If anyone has any ideas or requests for more/less NaruHina/just Hinata or wants any real character development, just say ;).

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or any thing or one from their world.
Hinata woke early the next morning, feeling fully refreshed and more alive than she had for weeks. She slipped out of her bed and into a loose kimono. She washed her face and tiptoed to the kitchen for a quick breakfast. As she sat on the wide veranda sipping her green tea she could hear the heavy footsteps of her father as he began his loosening exercises in the big room. Neji would arrive soon and Hiashi would go out into the courtyard to spar with him. Hinata usually watched dutifully, but without interest. As hard as she tried, their movements were beyond her, and their furious style of fighting did not appeal to her. This morning though, she didn’t care. The day was still cool, though the sky was already a deep blue – it would be a perfect day.

She penned a quick note to her sister, who would be the next family member to enter the kitchen, telling her she was going into the woods to train for the day, and asking her to prepare breakfast for their father and Neji. Then, looking around to check the coast was clear, she ran silently out into the garden, and jumped clear over the wall. Landing, she felt free and powerful, as if she could do anything. The jump had been beautiful, she could feel it, and smiling with pleasure, she flowed on in a graceful run through the still quiet streets of Konoha. She didn’t have to go far from the Hyuuga compound to reach the woods, and she was soon leaping effortlessly from branch to branch. Birds flapped out of the thick growth as she flew past, and Hinata began to truly feel at peace. Because however much she tried to join in with the others, or get Naruto’s attention, really what she liked best was when she was on her own. Perhaps that was why she was first drawn to Naruto; he was always alone too. But she was alone by choice, hiding from her strict father, and avoiding the disappointment she saw in the eyes of her family members. And that feeling had continued into the academy, and into her team. She always felt like she was letting everyone down, and only wanted to be where no one could judge her.

And today, in the woods, she felt like no one could judge her. She felt confident in her speed and her grace, and even in her ninja abilities. Deep down she knew that, whatever people thought, she was strong. But whenever she was under pressure Hinata’s overwhelming lack of self-confidence always held her back. But slowly, very slowly, Hinata was beginning to change herself.

Hinata reached her favourite spot in the whole world as the sun came up properly over the mountains to the southeast. A grassy opening by a small stream was her private training ground, and still feeling exhilarated by the run she immediatedly began practising some kicks and basic jyuuken movements. Time slid past and before she knew it, it was noon and her stomach was beginning to complain. She hadn’t brought any food, but she decided to take a rest anyway, and lay down on the soft grass in the sunshine. She closed her eyes and let her mind roam freely through the woods, following every little noise around her and breathing in the heavy scent of the grass. She could feel her skin warming under the sun, her pale face soaking up the heat, and knew that as much as she wanted this moment to last forever (or for a few hours at least) if she lay there any longer she would burn.

She yawned happily, then got up, stretched, and wandered over to the stream to splash her face and drink a little. Then she wandered off into the woods. She followed the stream, listening to the birds and catching glimpses of large trout in the water. Then up ahead she saw what looked like another clearing just like hers. She ran forwards and burst into the opening, but then stopped dead.

Somebody was there already.

“Hinata! I didn’t expect to see you out here.”

“Tenten… oh um, I didn’t expect… you here.” stuttered Hinata. She was relieved it was someone she knew, but hoped she would be able to escape soon to be alone again.

“I don’t normally come out here, but it’s such a nice day isn’t it?” continued Tenten cheerfully.

“Mm” smiled Hinata and nodded.

“Well, come and sit down.” Tenten had arranged a kind of shelter from the sun with a jacket and some branches, and was sitting under it. “You’ll burn if you stay out there, there’s room for two under here.”

Hinata was about to make an excuse and retreat to her solitude, but something made her pause. Tenten was just… so friendly. She didn’t care if Hinata was strong or not. She was just glad to share the afternoon with someone. So Hinata mumbled a ‘thank you’ and walked over to sit by Tenten. After all, on a day like this, surely anything that happened was 'meant' to happen. As Tenten chatted on Hinata relaxed. She didn’t really know Tenten, but when she thought about it, they weren’t so different. Neither had been born with any amazing talents, and both were the ‘weak’ links on teams with two very able and strong teammates.

“Oh sorry, what?” She realised the last thing Tenten had asked was a question.

“I said ‘have you had any lunch yet?’”

“Oh, well yes. I mean no. Umm, I sort of forgot to bring any” Hinata looked downwards.

“Well, have some of mine! Look, I caught some fish earlier, there’s plenty for both of us. Let’s get a fire going” Tenten was so positive that Hinata didn’t really see a need to argue. And she was quite hungry.

They sat under the shelter while the fish cooked, then ate them with some rice balls Tenten had brought. Hinata had never really felt companionship like this with someone, but she liked it. She liked that she was cooking and sharing food with a friend, that she was chatting with (or listening to, mostly) someone who just accepted her for what she was, and she even felt like she was meeting the requirements of a friend, and providing Tenten with companionship back. Tenten made her feel valued, and even more so when Tenten asked her to spar with her after they’d eaten, to improve her taijutsu. She was pleased to note that they were more or less on a par when it came to taijutsu, and when they finally took down the shelter, and walked back to Konoha in friendly silence Hinata felt like she’d experienced something new and wonderful.

“I’m got a mission tomorrow, it might take some days. But let’s do this again when I get back” invited Tenten.

“I…” Then Hinata’s voice strengthened and she stopped stuttering. “I’d like that.”



She hadn’t realised it until then, but what Hinata needed more than anything at that time, was a friend. And, after years of loneliness, she thought she’d finally found one.
NaruHina 3 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
By popular demand this one is another NaruHina... I hope you like it! Again, say if anyone wants more or less NaruHina/Hinata. The next one will probably be Hinata only though.

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or anything from their world.
Hiashi was taking Hanabi to visit a distant branch of the family who were noblemen living in the southeast of the Fire Country. He had half-heartedly invited Hinata to join them, but it seemed to Hinata that he was only making the trip to show off Hinabi, and she didn’t like meeting people anyway. They would be gone overnight, and already when Hiashi first mentioned the trip Hinata began to form a plan based on her conversations with Tenten over the last weeks. Tenten told her she had to be more determined about making Naruto notice her, and that Naruto only didn’t like her because he’d never considered her. ‘Make him notice you and it might take some time for him to come around, but you won’t regret it.’ Tenten had also been trying to get Hinata to be more confident and to stutter less, but as she would say after each attempt: ‘Oh well. It’s part of your charm anyway.’

Hinata walked over to Naruto’s apartment on the night before her family were leaving. She almost stopped any number of times, and when she actually got in sight of his building she sat down on a bench and couldn’t make herself go any closer. Then she saw Naruto through a window, wandering round his tiny apartment and eating what was unmistakeably instant ramen. She felt a sudden stab of pity for his lonely lifestyle and cheap ramen, and steeling herself, walked over to his building and straight up the stairs to his door. This is for him, she told herself, he deserves company and a nice meal sometimes. And no one else will do anything, so I have to.

She knocked on his door, and waited, her heart pounding. She swallowed several times, and tried to smile in preparation as she heard footsteps on the other side of the door, but only succeeded in blushing deeply. The door opened slowly, and Naruto’s face appeared in the crack. He obviously wasn’t used to visitors. Then he recognised her and opened the door wide.

“Hinata?” he said with an expression of surprise.

“Uh hi, I mean, ‘I’, I mean…” Suddenly Hinata realised what she should say. “We were going to eat ramen one night.”

“That’s right!” Naruto’s face cleared, then fell again. “But I’ve already eaten, and I don’t think I can affor…”

“No, it’s okay, I was… I was thinking of, umm, tomorrow?” Hinata rushed on, anxious to get it all out before he could leap to any more conclusions. “My family are going away, and I… I was going to try making ramen. So I thought maybe… you’d like to eat with (Hinata swallowed again), with me.” Her face was one huge blush, and she was looking down.

“Hinata!”

Hinata looked up in a panic. “Only, if you want too, I mean, you don’t have to, I just thought…”

“Hinata, thank you! You’re amazing!” Naruto had leaned forwards and grabbed her hands, which were together in front of her in their usual fidgeting position. “What time shall I come?” he asked.

Hinata was in shock. This was really happening… he was really coming. It had seemed so impossible until this moment. “Umm, seven o’ clock.” If she started training very early she could stop at four and have time to prepare herself and a meal.

“Thank you Hinata” He squeezed her hands, smiling widely and staring into her eyes. Hinata was still in shock, but tried to smile back as she said ‘goodbye’ and backed down the corridor. Naruto called ‘bye’ back, and his door closed slowly. Hinata swallowed one last time, flew down the steps and ran through the streets of Konoha. ‘It was so easy!’ she thought. She had been so stupid to worry, with someone as nice as Naruto-kun. Just thinking about him now made her blush, but it made her smile too. She hadn’t intended to make ramen, and supposed she didn’t have a choice now. But what did that matter!

When Hinata got home from training the next day her father and sister had already left. She had a shower, then put on a white silk bathrobe and walked round to the kitchen. She had found a ramen recipe in one of her mother’s old recipe books, but was hoping to get away with just making a small amount of ramen, and concentrating on the little delicacies she was used to preparing. Besides, cutting ramen took such a long time. She left some tofu to soak in a marinade and sliced raw fish into delicate pieces for sashimi. As time went by she rolled out ramen dough and cut it into thin strips, and at half past six she ran back round to her room to change. She had been so busy all day that she had hardly had time to actually think about Naruto coming, but when she sat on her bed to rest her legs briefly and breathe a few deep breathes she felt her stomach begin to turn. Had this really been the right thing to do? What if he didn’t turn up? She couldn’t bear to eat any of that food alone after all that preparation. What if he did turn up? She didn’t know which idea was more frightening. But either way, she had to get dressed.

Hinata put on her normal safe jumper, but instead of her usual training shorts she wore some regular jeans. They had a little orange embroidery at the end of the legs, and though she doubted Naruto would notice this little tribute to him, it made her feel braver. She walked back to the kitchen and put on the rice. She also began to stir-fry the tofu with some vegetables, but these activities were interrupted by constant quick dashes to the main entrance to see if anyone was coming. It was now almost seven and her agitation was increasing rapidly. Then, on her way back from a visit to the door, the bell rang.

And there, to her amazement, was Naruto, grinning widely with his arms behind his head.

“Good evening Hinata!”

“Na-Naruto-kun!” Hinata blinked and focused on him. “Come… come in.”

“Thanks Hinata.” Naruto was wearing his usual orange training suit, but Hinata wouldn’t have felt comfortable with him dressed any differently. She led him into the big room and got him a cushion to sit on.

“Nice house Hinata.”

“Mm.” Hinata managed to smile at him as she turned away. “I’ve got to… kitchen… soon.” She ran out and back to the kitchen, where a flurry of activity kept her occupied as she threw the ramen into a pot of boiling water, served the rice, tofu and sashimi into small separate dishes, and put them onto a tray with chopsticks.

“Do you need any help?” asked Naruto as he appeared in the kitchen doorway.

“Umm, no, no thank you, I’m okay”

“Okay” Naruto smiled and wandered back to his cushion.

Hinata drained the ramen and poured a spicy sauce like the one they had eaten at Ichiraku’s over it. She served that into small bowls, and added them to the tray. Then she stepped back. It should be enough, even for Naruto. Okay Hinata, ‘keep breathing, keep talking, and keep smiling,’ that was what Tenten always began her lectures with. Now if she could just follow those instructions she might actually enjoy the evening.

She picked up the tray and walked out of the kitchen.




Naruto walked back across Konoha feeling full and happy. ‘Hinata really is a good cook,’ he thought. And I don’t remember her talking that much before either. He had initially just been grateful that someone had thought of him when Hinata invited him to eat the day before, but he had really enjoyed her company. She listened to him without calling him an idiot, she was friendly, and… a new thought occurred. She was actually quite pretty. Another thought followed that one. Had she been about to hug him when he said ‘good night’ in that narrow entrance? And a third thought eventually followed that one, making him stop dead in the middle of the street.

“Was that… a date?”

It was clear to Naruto that he had a lot to think about.
Naruto by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Not sure about this chapter, but thought it was necessary. I hope you enjoy it anyway. Keep telling me what you like/don't like, and I'll try to keep writing what you do like.

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or anything from their world.
Naruto continued his intense training regime over the next few days, but couldn’t help thinking back to that meal with Hinata. Was it a date? Surely not. There was no way Hinata liked him, none of the girls had ever even looked at him. She was just being kind, because, he realised, Hinata was, more than anything else, kind. He had always known that. He hadn’t always known that she was pretty though, and this confused him. Didn’t he like Sakura-chan? Hinata was pretty, but she wasn’t like Sakura-chan, and if there was one thing Naruto was certain about, it was that he liked Sakura-chan.

But what had Sakura-chan said during the preliminary matches of the third Chuunin exam? That Hinata was always watching him? He knew that Sakura-chan wasn’t always watching. She could hardly keep her eyes off Sasuke before he left. But why would Hinata have been any different? She couldn’t have been, no one had ever bothered to care about him, to watch him. That was who he was, and it had been difficult, but it had made him strong.

Naruto threw some more kunai at the target he had made. He had made it when he first regained consciousness and learned that Sasuke had really left, and it was a straw dummy with a crude drawing of Sasuke on the front. But that was some months ago, and his anger had cooled. Now he only threw half-heartedly, and most of the kunai just hit Sasuke’s legs. ‘Time to make a new dummy’ he thought absentmindedly. He pulled out a shuriken, and taking an offensive stance he threw it straight through what was left of the neck, causing the straw body to fall.

“You’re finished Sasuke” he said out loud, but without much conviction. He was just stating a fact. His mind went back to Hinata, What if it was a date? What should he do now? Did he like Hinata? Then he would have to do something to let her know, at least invite her to dinner back. But he didn’t think he did like her. Sakura was his girl. So he had to be careful not to encourage Hinata if she did like him. But, it wasn’t as though he had encouraged her before, and she had already asked him on a date. If it was a date. Which it couldn’t have been. So maybe he could carry on as before. But even if it wasn’t a date, he owed Hinata a meal.

But then he thought about the way Hinata’s face had lit up as they talked. He thought about how she had blushed when he complimented her on the food, and he remembered how interested she had seemed in what he had to say. No one had ever cared what he had to say. And he began to feel scared. Very scared. And a little bit excited. Did this mean Hinata did like him? Did someone actually care about him? Wasn’t the fact that she invited him at all proof that she cared? Yes. So that was good. But it didn’t prove that she liked him. Which was also good. Wasn’t it?

Naruto scratched his head and sat down against a tree. All this thinking wasn’t good for him. But really he knew there was only one thing he could do. He had to talk to Hinata again and judge the situation with this new idea in mind.

And after that? He didn’t know. But he smiled to himself. He would think of something – he was, after all, the number one ninja at surprising people.
NaruHina 4 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! I hope this chapter is up to scratch.

It seems my original separate one-shots idea became a proper story, so if anyone's confused, the first 3 (4?) chapters were meant to more or less stand alone, but these last ones have been definite continuations.

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or Hinata, but if I did this chapter would have definitely been part of the series! Even if it was just in a filler.
Hinata was at the fourth training grounds when she heard running footsteps approach through the thin belt of trees around the ground. They stopped suddenly when the person came through, so she presumed they had reached their goal. Which meant…

“Umm, hi Hinata.” Naruto walked forward slowly. Hinata turned to face him. She was blushing, but she managed to smile through it.

“Naruto-kun.”

Naruto was avoiding Hinata’s eyes, but kept stealing glances at her.

'She really is pretty. How come I never noticed?'

“Umm, well. Thanks for dinner!” He looked up and smiled, then looked away again. “It was, umm, I mean, I enjoyed it.”

“Me too Naruto-kun”

'She has a nice voice. WHAT ABOUT SAKURA-CHAN?'

Hinata was trying really hard to keep smiling and hold down her nervousness. ‘This is it!’ she thought. He’s got something to say. But why is he looking away, he’s usually so confident? It must be bad… He’s realised how I feel and he feels bad about letting me down! Hinata swallowed.

“Well Hinata…” Naruto looked up again. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you Naruto-kun”

Naruto grinned sheepishly and looked away again.

“Umm, Naruto-kun, is something wrong?” Hinata took a step forward. She hated to see him so unsure of himself.

'WHAT ABOUT SAKURA-CHAN?'

Hinata sighed. “It’s okay Naruto-kun. I – I won’t mind.” And really, if it returned him to his normal state, she wouldn’t. She prepared to be disappointed.

'What? Won’t mind what? IT DOESN’T MATTER. JUST GO BACK TO NORMAL. THERE’S NO WAY SHE LIKES YOU SO DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT.'

But what if I like her?

“Naruto-kun?” Hinata reached out a shaky hand and held Naruto’s. He looked up in surprise.

When did she get this close?

“Hinata.”

'SAKURA-CHAN!'

Then suddenly he looked at Hinata and saw her properly, saw how brave she was being, saw how much she liked him, and saw the desperate sadness in her eyes. And he knew he didn’t want her to be sad. Sakura was just a picture he liked in a book he read a long time ago, Hinata was here, now, and he wanted to protect her, wanted to make her happy, and above all, wanted to be with her. He smiled a true smile, a beautiful smile, and gripped her hand back.

“Hinata.” He could see how close she was to tears, so, almost instinctively, he took her other hand and held her hands between them. “Hinata, I…”

Hinata blinked back tears desperately and tried to focus on him. Naruto looked like… good news? She was so confused, she didn’t want to think any more! She let go of Naruto’s hands and flung herself against him, holding him around his chest and sobbing into his jumper. She didn’t know what was going on, but she felt empty.

“Hinata…” Naruto looked down amazed. She felt warm and soft against him, and he hugged her back. He swallowed, not really knowing what to say or do next, but Hinata, feeling his warmth flow into her, lifted her head and looked up into his eyes.

And he knew there was only one thing he could do now. He leaned down…

“NARUTO! WHERE ARE YOU?”

They broke their embace and Hinata jumped backwards. Someone was coming into the training ground. “NARUTO? Oh, there you are, finally. I’ve been looking everywhere for you. It’s Jiraiya-sama, he needs you urgently! You have to run.”

“I umm… umm” Naruto looked back at Hinata, who was staring into space. “Hinata, I’ll, umm, I’ll see you later, okay?”

Hinata nodded very slowly. She still didn’t understand anything that had just happened, but she would have plenty of time to work it out.

Naruto sighed and turned away again. “Okay, where is he? Just tell me, I can get there faster on my own.”
NaruHina 5 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Enjoy!


Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or anything or one from their world.
Naruto was resting on his bed after his days training when there was a knock on his apartment door. He sighed loudly, then swung his feet off the bed and stood up. He padded over to the door and swung it open.

“Oh, Hinata!” He brightened instantly.

“Naruto.” Hinata smiled back.

“Come in, umm, I think there’s a chair in the kitchen. You don’t mind if I sit on my bed do you?”

“Thank you, no, not at all.”

“It’s so small in here.” Naruto gave a small laugh. “I wondered when I’d see you, I’ve been so busy since I got back. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone except Sakura and Neji’s team.”

“Mm, Tenten said they met up with you in the Sand.”

“But how have you been? It must have been, what, over two years now?”

“Two years and three months.” A very faint blush coloured Hinata’s cheek, but it hardly showed.

“I don’t even remember the last time I saw you.” Naruto scratched his head.

“It was just before you left, at the fourth training ground, we were talking and someone came and told you Jiraiya-sama needed you.”

“Oh!”

Suddenly it all came back to Naruto; that confused conversation, the sudden ending, and what would have happened if there hadn’t been a sudden ending. Now it was his turn to blush a little. Hinata just smiled.

“I’m sorry Hinata, I should have found you again and said good bye. I guess I was just so excited when Ero-sennin said we were finally leaving.” Naruto smiled a little. “He probably promised to teach me a new technique. I would do anything for a new technique back then.”

“That’s okay.” Hinata had long since forgiven Naruto his sudden departure. At the time she had been distraught, and coming as it did after that conversation at the training grounds she was left utterly confused, and even thought for a while that Naruto had run off because of her. But with Tenten’s help she soon understood, and Hinata was used to setbacks, so she had soon accepted it and returned to her training. And though she had realised that at that moment Naruto had liked her back, she didn’t think it was possible that he could still feel that way. She was even uncertain of her own feelings for him – it had been a long time. Did she still really know who he was?

“Hey, Hinata, have you eaten yet?”

“Not yet. I only went home quickly to wash and change after training.”

“Want to go to Ichiraku’s? It’s on me.”

“Sure, but you don’t have to…”

“I know, but I want to. I’ll just get my jacket.” Naruto went into the kitchen.

Left alone for a moment Hinata thought about how Naruto had changed. He still had the same smile, but it fit his face much better now. In fact, he was actually quite handsome. His voice was deeper, and he didn’t seem to shout so much. And he did seem a lot more grown up. She smiled to herself.

In the kitchen Naruto was feeling the effect of one of Jiraiya’s less worthy teachings. ‘Damn! She is beautiful now!’ he mouthed to the toaster. He grinned, hoping he would get some attention walking through the town with her.

“Ready Hinata?”

“Yep. Let’s go.”

They smiled at each other, and Hinata blushed again, just a very little.
Sakura by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I hope the POV changes don't bother anyone? I feel it makes it more interesting, to write anyway. An extra long one here, enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, Sakura, or anything or one from their world.
Sakura was surprised to see Hinata with Naruto when he came by, but she wasn’t unhappy about it. She liked spending time with Naruto, but she didn’t want to encourage him. Perhaps if Hinata was with them Naruto would be distracted from Sakura, and she could relax more. And Sakura didn’t see much of Hinata, but she seemed like a nice girl, and though she didn’t admit it to herself, she knew she could still dominate the group if it was just Hinata with them. Sakura usually liked to be in the centre of things.

She assured Hinata that she was glad to have her with them, and led the two to a bar she knew where the manager would let them sit even though they were underage. They took a table in the back and she excused herself for a moment. When she came back Naruto and Hinata were sitting beside each other and talking happily.

“Thanks for training with me today Hinata,” Naruto was saying, “Your taijutsu is amazing!”

“But it’s not a fair battle, I’m using my Byakugan, if you used any of your techniques I wouldn’t have a chance.”

“But I can’t start creating clones everywhere in every battle situation. I need to be able to beat people one on one!”

Sakura didn’t know they had been training. So they had been together all day?

“Is this the first time you’ve seen Naruto since he came back, Hinata?” she asked loudly, walking over to the table.

Hinata turned and smiled. Neither of them had noticed Sakura come back in. “Almost. We went to Ichiraku’s last night, and trained today.”

Naruto took Hinata to Ichiraku’s already? He had gotten sharp. And he’d never asked Sakura to train with him. Well, that wasn’t completely true, but he hadn’t bothered to ask after the first few months of Team 7. And it wouldn’t help either of them much anyway, she was bright enough to realise. She didn’t have much taijutsu, only her chakra powered punches. So if she sparred with Naruto it would just be him dodging until one of them got unlucky. Still, it would be nice to be asked again.

“Eh?”

“Do you want me to get you a drink?” Naruto repeated.

“Oh umm, yes please. Just don’t try and order anything alcoholic or we’ll be kicked out.”

“Hehe, don’t worry. I’ve been to plenty of bars with Ero-sennin, I know what they don’t like. Back in a minute.” He said that to both of them, but Sakura couldn’t help noticing that he looked at Hinata and smiled as he left. Hinata was blushing a little, but Sakura could tell she was enjoying herself. Time to investigate, Sakura thought.

“So you’ve been spending a lot of time with Naruto recently?” Did Hinata just giggle?

“Well, only last night and today. He’s very grown up now, isn’t he?”

“And handsome?” Sakura added suggestively.

“Mm,” Hinata agreed, then realised she had given herself away.

“So you still….!”

“Shhh, please Sakura! It’s just nice being with him. I’m sure he doesn’t mean anything by it.”

Sakura wasn’t so sure. She was glad to see Hinata so happy, but felt a stab of sadness too. Has Naruto completely given up on me? To some extent it had annoyed her when he was always pestering her to go on a date with him, but it had been flattering too. And now he was fairly handsome. Not as handsome as she remembered Sasuke being, but probably the most eligible shinobi overall of their age group now Sasuke had gone. She sighed and returned her attention to what Hinata was saying.

“Don’t worry, I won’t say anything,” she assured the girl. I’m still prettier than Hinata, she thought. But long hair definitely suits her. Hinata had grown her hair over the last years, and it was now well past her shoulders. If Naruto’s become more mature, she thought, Hinata certainly looks more mature. And didn’t she have a stutter before? Sakura really hadn’t seen much of Hinata since they graduated from the Academy, but she was amazed at the change in Hinata. “So what have you been doing these years?” she asked.

“Well, you know, the usual. Training, and we had to go on missions fairly often. We heard you were learning from Tsunade-sama.”

“Mm. So I haven’t been on so many missions. And I didn’t have a team anyway, not until Naruto came back. Speaking of which.” Naruto was making his way back up the bar with three drinks. Sakura sneaked a glance at Hinata, and could see the very faint blush and increase in happiness that accompanied this event. She smiled to herself and leant back. This would be… interesting.

Naruto put the drinks on the table. “Two cups of sake and one of shochu. I’m kidding Sakura! They’re all sake! Oh, and the guy said we have to leave.” Naruto’s face reassured them that this was also a joke and Sakura rolled her eyes. Maybe he hadn’t matured so much after all. But she didn’t feel like bashing him, and Hinata hadn’t seemed to mind.

Naruto took his glass of juice and sat down next to Hinata again. They were in a little booth with soft benches and a wall around three sides of the table.

“It’s nice here,” Hinata ventured a little uncertainly, but without stuttering. She’s probably never been to a bar thought Sakura, who herself wouldn’t have if she didn’t have to look for Tsunade in them so often. This one was a favourite of Tsunade’s, which was how she knew the manager.

“Yeah.” replied Naruto. “It’s certainly good to back in Konoha.”

“Well we’re glad to have you back, aren’t we Hinata?” Sakura asked mischeviously. She wasn’t going to give Hinata away, but didn’t see why she couldn’t have some fun too.

Hinata blushed a little again. “Yes.”

Naruto grinned embarrassedly. Sakura could tell he wasn’t used to receiving compliments. She took a sip of her own glass of juice.

“Hey, remember when…” she began.



After a couple of hours of talk about the old days at the Academy and around the Chuunin exams they were all fairly relaxed. Most of the talking had been done by Naruto and Sakura, but Sakura noted that Hinata spoke much more than she would once. And she didn’t seem so afraid to correct them where her memory was better than theirs.

“I guess we should get going soon. I know I have to work tomorrow.”

“Yeah, I have to train. Hey Hinata, want to train with me again?”

“Oh, umm, I have a mission I think but it might only take a day or two. After that?”

Naruto smiled. “Sure. Just come by when you get back.”

Just come by when you get back? And now Hinata was promising that she would. If Sakura didn’t know better she’d think they were picking up something they had begun before Naruto left, the speed this was going at. But that was impossible. She would have known if anything was going on between them back then, and besides, she knew that Naruto liked her at that time.

“Okay, I’ll walk you girls home then shall I. Your house is closest Sakura, shall we go there first?”

“Okay.” replied Sakura.

“Umm, Naruto-kun, you don’t have to walk me home, it’s such a long way there and back for you.”

“Of course I will! You shouldn’t walk such a long way alone, Hinata-chan.”

Naruto-kun? Hinata-chan? Sakura was fairly sure they hadn’t been using the more familiar name endings earlier that evening. She felt a little sad again, she always used to be ‘Sakura-chan’ and now she was just Sakura. But this was the best for all of them, she was sure of that.

They reached Sakura’s house quickly, and when the door had closed behind her Sakura ran upstairs and out onto her balcony, filled with curiosity. Naruto and Hinata were already some distance away, but she could see enough, and laughed delightedly.


Naruto had his arm round Hinata, and she was smiling beautifully as she looked up into his face to talk.
NaruHina 7 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
An extra update because it's Saturday! Thanks so much for all the reviews. They put me in such a good mood!

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or Hinata, or anything else occurring in both the Naruto anime and my story.
“Oi! Oi, Naruto!”

Naruto was walking home from a training session with Hinata about a week later when a familiar voice made him look back.

“Oh, Kiba!”

Kiba ran up with Akamaru following him. He was grinning widely.

“Naruto, when did you get back?”

“Uh, well I guess I’ve been properly back for about a week now. Damn, Akamaru’s gotten big!”

“Yeah, he’s great! No way you could beat us now, eh Akamaru?” Akamaru barked his agreement.

Naruto laughed. He didn’t remember Kiba being this friendly before, but he liked the easy companionship he felt with him.

“How have you been anyway?”

“Good, good.” A thought struck Kiba. “Hey, is this why Hinata’s been so happy this week?”

Naruto coloured. “Has she?”

“It is! Are you the person that’s been training with her too?”

“Uh, yeah. You don’t mind do you?”

“Are you kidding? I’ve never seen Hinata perform so well! Last mission, Shino and I hardly had to do anything. I was a bit worried because we don’t have much time to train with her any more. My mum and sister make me train with them mostly, clan stuff. I’m not sure about Shino, but I think it’s something similar.”

Naruto smiled in relief. “I’ll keep training with her then!”

“Yeah, keep ‘training’ with her” smirked Kiba.

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing. Hey, want to meet up later?”

“Sure! Uh, well, I’m meeting Hinata later actually.” Naruto went a little red again. He didn’t know why talking to Kiba made him feel embarrassed, he wasn’t embarrassed when he was with Hinata.

Kiba laughed. “Good on you, about time too.”

“What?”

Naruto was becoming redder and redder - Kiba was really enjoying himself. “Mate, I’ve been waiting for you two to get together since page one. And with this effect on Hinata’s performance, the sooner she moves in with you the better.”

“WHAT?” Naruto was choking in shock at Kiba’s bluntness. “Don’t… what? It’s nothing like that, we’re just… It’s not… She doesn’t even… Get lost Kiba!” But Naruto was laughing now. And people thought he was crude?

Kiba laughed too. “Alright, alright, well you two have a nice little ‘nothing like that,’ and I’ll catch you later.”

“Hmm. Tomorrow maybe. But don’t you go saying anything like that to Hinata!”

“Like what?” asked Kiba innocently. Naruto was colouring yet again. “Oh, like that? You mean, you didn’t want me to say anything like that to Hinata? Oops, sorry! Let’s go Akamaru!”

Naruto was still spluttering angrily when Kiba disappeared round a corner several blocks down. It was some time before he remembered that Kiba couldn’t have said anything to Hinata since he hadn’t even known Naruto was back until just then. He was a bit annoyed at how easily Kiba had got to him, but Kiba had always been able to spot his weaknesses – they were probably very similar to his own. However, he couldn’t help laughing as he walked back to his apartment.



He had only just changed when there was a knock at his apartment door.

“Hinata-chan? You’re early.”

“Is that okay. I mean, I can…”

“Of course, come in! Would you like some tea?” Naruto didn’t usually drink much green tea, but had made an effort to buy some since he knew Hinata liked it.

“Thank you Naruto-kun. Yes please.” She sat on the end of his bed while Naruto put a kettle on in the other room. Then his head appeared round the doorframe.

“What’s in the bag?”

Hinata blushed her very faint blush. “Well, I thought instead of going to Ichiraku’s I could come early and make something here, if that’s okay? If you want to go out it’s fine, I can take these back home, but it might be nice…”

“Hinata-chan, that would be great! I’ll help.”

Hinata smiled in relief. She liked Ichiraku’s, but they had eaten together twice more since that first night, both times there, and she was embarrassed by the way Ichiraku and his daughter were starting to look at them. She still wasn’t sure what Naruto really felt about her, it seemed likely to her that he still just considered her a friend, albeit a good one. But she certainly didn’t want him to get scared and end this happy friendship.

Naruto came through with the tea, but when he saw Hinata he began to redden again, remembering Kiba’s words. She looked so comfortable sitting on his bed, and very much at home. He hid his blush by bending over the little table as he put the tea tray on it. He carried the table over to the bed and sat down next to her, leaving a proper distance between them. Hinata took a cup gratefully, then poured them both tea. She cradled the hot cup in her hands, thinking how nice it would be if all her days started like this.

“So what are we making?”

“Oh, umm, I thought just okonomiyaki, if that’s okay? It’s so quick.”

“I love okonomiyaki!”

Hinata smiled. “But you love anything, provided there’s enough of it.”

“That’s true,” said Naruto, grinning and rubbing his head. “But I would say it’s definitely one of my top ten meals. And most of those are types of ramen.”

They lapsed into silence for a little while as the tea became cool enough to drink.

“Hey, I saw Kiba earlier. He said you did great on your last mission.”

“Oh, no, I hardly did anything. But the mission went well.”

Naruto smiled. He knew by now what ‘hardly anything’ meant coming from Hinata. “Well, I’m starving, shall we make a start on the food?”

“Mm.”

Naruto followed Hinata’s instructions quietly, concentrating on the task at hand. Cooking was not something he had ever learnt, despite all his years living alone. Hinata on the other hand, was enjoying herself. She was reassured that there was something she was better than him at, something she could contribute to a potential relationship.

“Thank you Naruto-kun, I can do the rest now. You sit down.”

“Okay Hinata-chan,” Naruto brought a chair back into the kitchen and sat watching Hinata as she poured some of the mix out into his frying pan. Naruto jumped up and brought his other chair and the table in to the kitchen. “It’ll be fairly full in here, but I guess we need to sit in here as long as there’s mix cooking.”

“It’ll be fine. This one’s almost ready, shall we split it? There’s some sauce and other toppings in the bag.”



It was a full and content Naruto that walked Hinata home some time later. Hinata had been thinking hard all evening, and decided Tenten’s original advice to push on and make her feelings clear was good advice, if slightly risky. When they reached her family’s compound she turned to him.

“I umm…” Hinata began, then stopped. She put her hands on his shoulders and reached up to kiss him on the cheek, causing Naruto’s eyes to widen in surprise. “I’ve got another mission tomorrow, but I’ll come by when I get back, okay?” She smiled at him, then ran down to the entrance and into her house without waiting for a reply.

“Sure… thing.” replied Naruto to the night. He wasn’t really sure what qualified as ‘going out’ with someone. But he had a strong feeling that this did.
NaruHina 8 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Well, here's another one, I hope you enjoy it! I'm afraid we might be nearing the end now, but I've an idea for another fic after this one. Thanks for the reviews!

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or Hinata, or anything or one from their world.
The next few days passed in a blur for Naruto. He still hadn’t worked out whether Hinata was his girlfriend now, or just a very good friend. But they had spent so much time together since he came back, even he suspected Hinata wanted more than friendship. And though he didn’t have any strong romantic inclinations towards Hinata yet, he liked being with her a lot, and was very conscious of her new beauty. So he didn’t think it was such a bad thing to be ‘together’ with her, if that was what this was.

Naruto trained his jutsus while Hinata was away, since it was difficult to work on them when he was training with her. Then, three nights after their last meeting there was a knock at his door. He jumped up and ran over to the door, swinging it open.

“Hi!” Then he realised it wasn’t Hinata. “Huh?”

“What’s wrong, expecting someone else?” asked Kiba, pushing past Naruto and sitting on his bed. Sakura followed him in, laughing.

“No!” said Naruto hotly, beginning to change colour. “And that’s my bed, there’s a chair in the kitchen.”

“Fine, fine.” Kiba grinned and strolled round to the kitchen to get another chair. Sakura had already found the second chair and was grinning as she leaned back to watch the show. Naruto looked down the corridor, but it was empty. He closed the door and sat down on his bed.

“So… what are you two doing here?” Naruto began.

“Just being friendly.” Kiba grinned again. “Actually, Sakura is wondering why she hasn’t seen you at all this week.”

Sakura’s chair came back down onto all four legs with a bang. “Kiba! That’s not… you’re making that up!” Sakura was blushing now. She hadn’t expected to get pulled into the firing line.

“Well, have you?” Sakura was silent.

“Why is that important? Sometimes I feel like being on my own.” Naruto attempted nonchalance.

“But have you been alone?” Kiba grinned, and Sakura began to feel safe again and grin too. She leant back up onto two legs.

“I haven’t seen anyone for three days.”

“Really?” Kiba’s grin threatened to split his face in two. “Well, that’s a coincidence, because Hinata’s been away on a mission with me for the last three days.”

Naruto glared at Kiba. “What’s that got to do with anything?”

“You tell me.”

Naruto couldn’t tell whether Kiba was bluffing or not, but denial wasn’t working. He decided to try a counter-bluff to turn the tables on Kiba.

“So is Hinata back then?”

“Yeah. But I thought that didn’t have anything to do with it.”

“Well, she is my girlfriend,” Naruto said as casually as he could, and was delighted to see the looks of shock on Kiba and Sakura’s faces. Sakura’s chair was back on all its legs and they were both staring at him with open mouths. Hiding his glee, Naruto made the most of this victory over them and continued: “If she’s back I’d better go and say ‘hi.’ Shut the door when you leave.” He walked out.

“Naruto, wait!” he heard Sakura shout as he closed the door, but he grinned and continued down the corridor. Now he just hoped that it hadn’t been a bluff, or his victory would be very fleeting. He swallowed. That would be awkward, if either of them talked to Hinata now. ‘I guess I didn’t really think this through,’ he thought. For one thing he had never met Hinata anywhere except here, and didn’t want to knock at her house. Besides, if she was back she might be on her way over, in which case he might miss her on the way over. He couldn’t risk Hinata knocking on his door with those two in there, but if he didn’t leave the building soon the others would suspect – they were probably watching the street outside the door now.

Luckily he was spared any further anxiety. “Naruto-kun?”

“Ah, Hinata! Perfect timing, let’s go.” He remembered the two upstairs and swallowed. He took a slightly confused Hinata’s hand and held it firmly as they left the building and walked down the street together. ‘That should do for now’ he thought. ‘But it might still be awkward if either of them talks to Hinata. I’ll have to find out somehow if she is my girlfriend or not.’

“But, Naruto-kun, how did you know I was back?”

Naruto grinned nervously. “Uh, well, Kiba told me.”

“You’ve seen Kiba already?”

“Mm, he came by with Sakura. He was, umm, he was being quite annoying.”

Hinata’s mind was working hard. Kiba had given the impression he knew something was up during their mission. And him going to see Naruto immediatedly afterwards, and with Sakura too, didn’t bode well. She swallowed nervously. She hoped Kiba hadn’t said anything that would embarrass her. Naruto certainly seemed on edge about something.

Naruto himself was trying to think of the most tactful way of finding out if they were together. ‘Okay, tactful Naruto, tactful, just slip it out so she hardly realises what you’re asking.’

“Hinata, are you my girlfriend?”

Hinata turned bright red, and Naruto, realising how he had asked, followed suit. But he didn’t try and cover up. It was out there now.

Hinata suddenly found her hands were in a position they had not been in for well over a year, clutched together in front of her chest. ‘What does he want me to say? Is he worried that I think I am because of something Kiba’s said, when he doesn’t think I am? Does he want me to be? If he doesn’t will this be the end?

“Umm,” she began, looking away and hands fidgeting furiously. “Do you want me to be?” She looked up at Naruto.

Naruto’s throat was dry. Very slowly, he nodded.

“Oh!” exclaimed Hinata, and threw herself at Naruto’s chest. Naruto had a sudden memory of that confused moment before he went away, but the present soon flowed over it. He hugged her back. She did like him!

“Hinata-chan.” he said soothingly. She pulled away and looked up at him.

“I was… I was so afraid,” she gulped, “I’ve been waiting so, so long, and I thought…”

“I’m an idiot, I’m sorry Hinata. I just never thought, I mean, no one ever liked me, that’s why I was so, so slow.”

“Naruto-kun!” She hugged him tightly again. “I… I always liked you, every day since the Academy.”

“You…did? I’m so sorry Hinata… I was, I don’t know.” He finished weakly. They were silent for a little.

“It doesn’t matter now.” Hinata smiled up at him. “Let’s go to Ichiraku’s.” She wasn’t afraid of the owner’s suggestive glances now.

“Okay. No actually, let’s go somewhere else, somewhere special.” Naruto wanted Hinata to eat whatever she wanted tonight. And he didn’t want this new happiness to be interrupted by Kiba and Sakura, who would probably look for them at Ichiraku’s if they were curious.

He took her hand again and they continued down the street, both smiling in delight and relief. Naruto looked down at Hinata, and as she smiled back at him he thought that she had never looked so beautiful.
Kiba by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews!

Disclaimer: I don't own anything in both my story and the Naruto Anime.
Kiba had done his best to irritate Naruto, and was a little put out by the way Naruto had successfully turned the tables and surprised him. But really he was happy for them, assuming Naruto was telling the truth. He had come to see Hinata more like a sister than anything else, and was protective of her, but knew from experience that Naruto was capable of that job too. Also, he knew people had suspected him of attachment towards Hinata, and hoped this would clear things up. He liked Hinata a lot, but thought her too dependent to have a relationship with. Now Ino on the other hand…

But now Sakura was saying something, so he shook himself out the shocked position he had been sitting in since Naruto left the apartment half a minute earlier.

“Quick Kiba, come to the window. Hinata just arrived, let’s see what they do. I bet Naruto was just bluffing!”

“Yeah, probably.” But neither of them sounded very sure. They knew how unpredictable Naruto could be.

Sakura squealed. “They’re holding hands!”

“Well, Naruto is holding Hinata’s hand. And that doesn’t prove anything.” Knowing Hinata, if Naruto grabbed her hand to make a point to him and Sakura she wouldn’t complain. But it might be considered leading her on if Naruto wasn’t serious. Kiba gritted his teeth. Naruto had better be serious after this.

“Shall we go after them?”

“No, let’s wait a bit.” Kiba felt tired suddenly. Was he the only one except Chouji that the girls weren’t throwing themselves at? Well, and Lee too, he remembered. But Sakura had been quite friendly towards Lee these last years, though it was obvious she still thought mostly of Sasuke. ‘I’m not too bad looking, after all’ he told himself. ‘A bit rough around the edges maybe.’ ‘And I do smell of dog.’ But anyone who didn’t like Akamaru, or who Akamaru didn’t like for that matter, was ruled out automatically. Kiba began to grin again. ‘I come with dog smell, she’ll just have to accept that, whoever she is.’

Sakura was lying on Naruto’s bed staring at the ceiling with an odd expression.

“You alright Sakura?”

“Yeah. I was just thinking. It seems like everyone’s growing up and moving on. I always thought I’d be happy when Naruto finally gave up on me, but now he has I don’t know. I wish Sasuke was still here.”

Kiba thought a little. He knew he should try to say something to comfort Sakura, but he wasn’t good at things like this. “Sakura, just because Naruto is with Hinata – probably with Hinata – doesn’t mean he’s stopped caring. It means he’s happy to just be friends with you, and that’s got to be a good thing. And you have lots of other friends too, dating isn’t everything.” His words sounded hollow to him – what did he know about having a relationship? But Sakura seemed reassured.

“Thank you Kiba.” She smiled at him. “Shall we try and find them now then?”

“I dunno. Seems to me if we were feeling nice we’d let them be alone.” Kiba grinned and stood up. “Let’s go!”

Sakura laughed and got up too. Kiba held the door for her and they set out.



“I knew it, he’s so predictable! This is the way to Ichiraku’s.” They were hurrying through Konoha, following Kiba’s nose.

“Hold on. Not so predictable, I can smell their scents down here. They changed direction.”

“You mean they didn’t go to Ichiraku’s?”

“Not unless they took a really long way round.”

“Hrumph. Lucky we’ve got your nose to track them down.”

“Would be even easier if I had Akamaru with me.” Since Akamaru had gotten so big Kiba often left him at home if he was going out in the evenings. A lot of restaurants and shops that hadn’t minded the little puppy sitting on his head took quite a different view of the huge animal that Akamaru had become. Kiba didn’t like to leave him behind, but it was the only practical thing to do usually. “Stop! They’re in that restaurant.”

“That one? Let’s surprise them then!”

“Sakura, wait.” Kiba felt a pang of conscience. “That’s a really expensive restaurant, I think that’s proof they’re together. Maybe we shouldn’t interrupt, I doubt if Naruto can afford to take her there often. He’s hardly had any missions since he got back.” Kiba didn’t say it, but he also felt bad for doubting Naruto’s sincerity, and most of all he didn’t want to ruin Hinata’s evening. ‘She’s waited long enough’ he thought, ‘we should at least give them tonight before we start bothering them.’

Sakura still looked a little undecided. She was used to any dealings with Naruto going exactly how she wanted, and she didn’t know how deep Hinata’s feelings for Naruto had always been. But she didn’t want to be mean to Naruto if, as Kiba said, this was not something he could afford normally. She could be sensitive too sometimes, especially with people she knew well like Naruto.

“Let’s just go to Ichiraku’s, or somewhere quick back in the centre.” suggested Kiba. “Maybe we could find some of the others on the way.” he added, thinking hopefully of Ino.

“Okay then. I suppose we can leave them alone for now.”

Kiba smiled in relief. “Who shall we get to join us then? The only other person who lives nearby is Ino, isn’t it? Maybe I should run out to get Shikamaru and Chouji though too?”

“Only if you can be bothered.”

“Just Ino then.” said Kiba, secretly delighted.

“I suppose it will be alright with her.” Sakura and Ino had been getting along much better again since Sasuke left.

They set off towards Ino’s house in silence. Then Sakura thought of something.

“Hey, Kiba. I bet we’re the first people to know about Naruto and Hinata.” She smiled excitedly, and Kiba began to grin back. “That means we get to spread the news!” continued Sakura.

‘And a few healthy rumours’ thought Kiba, smiling to himself.
NaruHina 9 by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, had a bit of trouble trying to decide where this should go now, since I'm guessing anyone still reading doesn't want it to just end. So I'm going to change the direction. Does anyone mind if I begin the next part in a new story? I think it will be different enough to warrant that.

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Hinata, or anything or one else from their world.
A few weeks had passed since they declared their feelings for each other, and Hinata had become used to her relationship with Naruto. The evening after that one, their friends had ambushed them in Naruto’s apartment, the news having been spread by Sakura and Kiba, but now things had calmed down. All their friends seemed delighted about the new couple, though Naruto had had to endure a lot of abuse for taking so long. As far as her family went, she hadn’t gone out of her way to keep it a secret, but she hadn’t told her father or sister anything. Even so, she was fairly sure her father knew, since she often met Naruto outside the gates to the Hyuuga compound, but he just didn’t care. Which suited Hinata fine, she didn’t want to draw his attention. Naruto was getting more missions now, but they still had on average half the days of each week to train together, and on most of these they would also spend the evening together. She didn’t think she had ever been so happy, and just hoped it would last.

She knew Naruto’s feelings for her were not as strong as hers for him, but he seemed to be growing more attached to her every day. And Hinata herself was now fully in love with Naruto. She knew he still wasn’t perfect, but she couldn’t see any imperfections – or if she could she read them as perfections, little defining characteristics that made him special. And individually, and as a couple, they were special. Their relationship was not built on any lust or physical need, though they both found each other physically very attractive. Instead, Hinata had been delighted to find that Naruto wanted only to be with her for her face and personality, and though they usually began an evening with a little kiss and ended with a hug, and Naruto invariably kept his arm round her while they were walking, this was as far as it went. This suited Hinata perfectly, and made her less afraid of discovery by her family, and Naruto, though always aware of the effect a women’s body had on grown men, was still not particularly interested himself.

So days had turned to weeks, and Hinata could see no reason why weeks shouldn’t turn to months, and months to years. ‘And then, one day, I’ll be the wife of the Hokage’ she told herself. ‘Even Father couldn’t disapprove of that.’ She knew Naruto wasn’t looking that far ahead yet, but she wasn’t worried. He had told her years ago that he would always be there for her, and she believed him.

And then one day, Naruto disappeared.

He hadn’t gone on a mission, not an official one anyway. No one had gone with him. He hadn’t told anyone where he was going, or that he was going at all. But one day when she came back from a mission and went to his apartment, he wasn’t there. She had waited the whole evening without success before going to Tsunade to check if he had suddenly been assigned a mission. A number of people could guess where he had gone – Jiraiya, Tsunade and Kakashi all knew the truth about Orochimaru’s plans for Sasuke, and Shikamaru was there when Naruto himself discovered them, so they knew time was running out for Sasuke. The first three were also aware of Akatsuki’s interest in Naruto. But Hinata, though she guessed a connection to Sasuke, had no other information to go on, and none of the other girls seemed to either.

What she didn’t understand was why he had to go without saying anything. But Hinata knew that he was alive, and that he would come back, and she would still be there for him when he did. If Naruto had to do something, he had to do it, and she wouldn’t blame him for it.

As days turned to weeks, and weeks to months, Hinata prepared herself mentally for a long wait. After all, if there was one thing she was good at, it was waiting.
Sasuke's Story by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews! Because of them I've decided to keep the story going, and make this a direct continuation, but hopefully without it getting boring or repetitive. So it's not going to be as fluffy as before, but I hope you'll enjoy it. And after all that encouragement, here's my longest chapter yet... Again thank you all, this is a direct result of your reviews.

Disclaimer: I don't own any characters or places, but the plot, such as it is, is mine.
Over the next weeks Hinata fell into a regular daily routine. After training, or when returning from a mission, she would walk over to Naruto’s apartment to see if he was back. She would make herself a quick meal there, check that everything was ready for Naruto in case he came back before her next visit, and then walk home again. She trained harder than ever, and worked hard on her missions, because she wanted to do her best for when Naruto came back. At the weekends she would meet Tenten and they would go to her special place in the woods, if the weather was nice enough.

After that first day she hadn’t been to see the Hokage, but Tsunade had promised to do everything she could to find Naruto as soon as possible. Hinata couldn’t help thinking that the Hokage seemed more worried about Naruto’s disappearance than she would about a regular genin, but this suited Hinata, and she was afraid to inquire further. And Tsunade was doing everything she could, short of sending out shinobi. She had sent messages to all her contacts both inside and outside the Fire Country, but so far no one seemed to have seen him. Which means, she decided with Jiraiya and Kakashi in a secret meeting, that he is either being far more cautious than usual, or he is travelling with someone who is more careful than him. What they couldn’t establish was whether he was travelling with someone willingly or not, if he wasn’t alone. But they all agreed that only one thing could make Naruto up and leave like that: Uchiha Sasuke. And equally, there was only one group of possible culprits if he had been kidnapped: Akatsuki.

And then one day, about two months after Naruto had left, Sasuke himself walked into the village. No one challenged him, or tried to stop him, or even tried to make any contact at all, even people who had known him. He walked straight in through the main gate and through the village to his apartment just outside the old Uchiha district. The authorities ignored him at first, and for two days nobody saw him, but then the curiosity of his former comrades got the better of them. Sakura wouldn’t see him, or Hinata, but Ino and Tenten went for them, one one day and one the next day. They both brought the same message back: Sasuke had recognised them, greeted them, and then refused to say anything until they left. He hadn’t invited them into his apartment, and had made it clear he wasn’t interested in them.

So on the fifth day after Sasuke’s return Hinata plucked up the courage to go and see him. He opened the door soon after she knocked, and stared at her coldly.

“Uchiha Sasuke.” began Hinata. She was becoming nervous under his glare, but forced herself to wait it out. He was her best link to Naruto after all. After what seemed like an age Sasuke replied:

“Hyuuga Hinata.” He stopped speaking, and returned to his silent glare. He was somewhat surprised, since he didn’t think Hinata had ever spoken to him before, and couldn’t think of any reason for her to be interested now.

When it became clear Sasuke wasn’t going to say anything else Hinata began again.

“I need to talk to you.”

“We have nothing to talk about.” Was there a flicker in his right eye as he said that? Hinata could sense that there was something unnatural about Sasuke’s aggressive coldness. Something he was hiding perhaps?

“Where is Naruto?” she asked.

There it was again. That slight movement of his right eyebrow. “How should I know?” Sasuke began to close the door. Hinata was sure her suspicions were correct now, her Byakugan might not be as advanced as Neji’s, but it wasn’t just for show.

“You do know. Where is he?”

Sasuke paused, then continued closing the door as he replied “What does it matter to you?”

Hinata felt a flush of anger run through her. She wasn’t nervous now, Sasuke had information she needed, and he was just being difficult as far as she could tell. Maybe it didn’t matter to Sasuke, but to her any information about Naruto was valuable, very valuable. She kicked the door open into Sasuke’s face and hit him in the centre of his chest with her palm. Sasuke was knocked backwards onto the floor, but Hinata hadn’t forced any chakra into him so he was unharmed. She relaxed her stance as Sasuke scrabbled to his feet. For the first time his expression had changed, to one of shock.

“I’m not afraid of you, Uchiha Sasuke. Tell me what you know about Naruto.”

“Why do you care?” asked Sasuke, recovering some of his attitude.

“Because I love him.” replied Hinata as matter-of-factly as she could. She was determined not to show any weakness now she had Sasuke at a disadvantage. Sasuke again looked surprised for a moment, then covered it up.

“Fine.” He turned his back on her and waved his hand indicating a chair as he sloped over to a large sofa and sat down on it in a manner that indicated casualness or indifference, but Hinata could see the tension in his face. ‘Please, please let him be okay’ she thought as she waited for Sasuke to begin talking. Glancing round the room she could see a number of letters on a desk, and what looked like a half-packed rucksack on a large bed, but she looked back at Sasuke as he began talking.

“Have you heard of a group called Akatsuki?” he asked. Hinata shook her head. “Do you know what happened to my clan?”

“What does this have to do with Naruto?”

“Everything.” Sasuke paused for a few seconds, waiting for Hinata to accept his story again. Then he continued: “Do you know where I’ve been the last three years?”

“With Orochimaru.”

“So you do know something.”

“Please just tell me what happened to Naruto. Is he okay?”

“I am telling you, I will try to make it as quick as possible. Don’t think I’m enjoying this any more than you are.” When Hinata leaned back resignedly he began again.

“About eight years ago my brother murdered my entire clan. I found him standing over our parents bodies, and he spared me on the condition that I didn’t stop running until I could kill him in revenge, that I didn’t stop hating him until I had accomplished that. Three years ago Orochimaru offered me the power to reach that goal. I now have that power. However, about six months ago I learnt that Orochimaru was preparing to transfer his mind into a new body – his method of attaining immortality. I was that body, but since I had still not achieved my goal I made plans to escape from Orochimaru. I didn’t waste my time while I was with him, I have contacts all over the world, my own network which Orochimaru was unaware of. So about four months ago I left Orochimaru and went underground to hide from him. At the same time I was desperately trying to find my brother to kill him. You’re wondering how Naruto comes into this?”

Hinata was still shocked by the revelation about the annihilation of Sasuke’s clan, and had hardly heard the rest, but she nodded.

“You may not know this, but about three years ago, shortly before I left Konoha, my brother returned to the village as a member of an organisation known as Akatsuki. But he wasn’t looking for me. He was looking for Naruto. That Sannin saved him and drove my brother off, but I knew he would be back if he wanted to find Naruto. My contacts informed me that Naruto has been travelling until recently with the Sannin, and Akatsuki have been unable to approach him. However, when I heard he was back in the village I knew they would make a move, and I decided to move first.”

“Wait, I don’t understand. Why would this Aka… this Akatsuki want Naruto?”

“I don’t know. But about two and a half months ago I sent a letter to Naruto inviting him to meet me outside a village we visited on a mission a long time ago. I told him to tell no one, and I promised that if he came, I would return to Konoha with him. I then arranged for Akatsuki to intercept the letter. Naruto would come looking for me, without one of the Sannin to scare Akatsuki off this time, my brother would come looking for him, and I would kill my brother.”

“You mean… you used Naruto as bait?” Hinata’s anger was beginning to flare up again. Sasuke ignored her and continued talking. Having come this far he seemed almost anxious to share the rest of the story.

“If everything had gone as planned Naruto and I would have been back about seven weeks ago, only two weeks after he left. We would both have accomplished our goals.” Sasuke sighed and Hinata anxiety overcame her anger again. What had happened? “But Orochimaru began to catch up to me as I was making my way to the meeting point. I had to make a detour, and didn’t arrive until a month after I was supposed to. Orochimaru had a lot of people with him, I couldn’t lead all of them to Naruto. Amazingly, Naruto had managed to dig himself in deep, and was still hidden when I arrived. However, after he had noticed my approach he came out of his cover and reached the meeting point at the same time as my brother, who had immediatedly detected him when he emerged, about an hour before I did.

“They fought, and somehow Naruto managed to win. I suspect Itachi was handicapped in some manner, perhaps he was trying to take Naruto alive. But Naruto surprised him somehow, and killed him. I arrived to find Naruto standing over the body of my brother, cursing me. I think he thought I had arranged the ambush. I was furious. I lived the last eight years to kill my brother, I went through three years of hell at Orochimaru’s command, and then, with my goal in sight, Naruto snatched my purpose of living from me. We fought, and I won, perhaps he was tired from fighting my brother before. I left him lying there, exhausted and bloody, and left the village. After some hours my anger cooled and I returned to find Naruto. But he had gone. Then I remembered that the Akatsuki members usually travel in pairs. It seems my brother’s companion had watched the battles, and then captured Naruto when he was unconscious.

“I tracked him for three days, but it was slow and difficult, he had laid a lot of false trails. Then Orochimaru caught up with me, with a large number of his Sound Ninjas. I was fairly exhausted, and only just managed to escape. I left a note to Orochimaru saying that Akatsuki had taken Naruto; I remembered from my days with Orochimaru that he was afraid of that happening, so hopefully he continued the pursuit where I had to leave off. If he catches up he’ll try to kill Naruto, but perhaps in the confusion Naruto will be able to escape. After escaping from Orochimaru I looked for my contacts in the area, but they had all been murdered, by Orochimaru or by Akatsuki, I don’t know. So I had to come back here for safety and to re-establish my links with my other contacts. That’s what I’ve been doing these last five days.”

Sasuke fell silent. Hinata was staring at the floor, rocking backwards and forwards very slightly. This was far worse than anything she had imagined, except death. For, as far as she could tell that was what awaited Naruto whatever happened.

“So… so basically,” Hinata stuttered, beginning to tremble, “you got… you got Naruto killed for some, some stupid revenge, even after he carried out the revenge for you?”

Sasuke flinched. It had been a long time since he took into consideration anyone else’s feelings, but he could see how much this was hurting Hinata. “It’s not completely hopeless. For one thing I believe my brother was one of the most powerful ninjas in Akatsuki, so there is likely to be some kind of power struggle now that he is dead. This might delay their plans regarding Naruto. And I think Orochimaru did continue to follow my brother’s companion, Hoshigaki Kisame, because I received word this morning that a person fitting his description was seen in a town not so far away from here, meaning he has been delayed. Judging from where I know he was last, and where he was sighted yesterday evening, I have a fairly good idea where Naruto is being taken. I’m leaving to try and intercept them as soon as we’re finished.”

It still sounded to Hinata as though Naruto was trapped in a power struggle between several very powerful and very evil ninja, but in her desperation she was happy to cling to the small ray of hope Sasuke had provided. And she was determined to do what she could to help save Naruto. As much as she wanted to run away and cry her heart out somewhere, she forced herself to stay calm. This wasn’t the time for mourning, not while there was still a chance for him.

“I’m coming.”

Sasuke nodded resignedly.

“Hinata, I’m sorry. I really am. I never meant for it to go this way. But I’m not going to give up yet. We can rescue him.”

“I’ll come back when I’ve packed then.” Hinata forced her unwilling body to a run as she left the apartment, but she managed to hold down the rising panic that threatened to take over. ‘I have to stay calm, I have to be quick, and I will have to trust Sasuke and do what he says or we will waste time.”

She hadn’t forgiven Sasuke, but she pushed his part in Naruto’s capture to the back of her mind. For now she had to focus on leaving as quickly as possible.
A Change of Plans by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters, but again, this plot is mine.
About twenty minutes after leaving Sasuke’s apartment, Hinata was back with her equipment. A thought had struck her on the way, and she voiced it once she was inside Sasuke’s apartment.

“You have told the Hokage all this, haven’t you?”

A flash of anguish passed across Sasuke’s face. “I can’t. Imagine what they would do to me? I’d never be allowed to stay in Konoha.”

Hinata couldn’t believe her ears. “ You mean… you mean, you’re still just thinking about yourself, even after all this? We have to tell her what we know.”

“Why? I’m as strong as anyone in Konoha, there’s no one better they could send. And anyway, we can’t. Orochimaru has spies everywhere, he would find out. We have to keep this as secret as possible, if he became involved again things would be very dangerous. It’s a blessing that Kisame seems to have escaped from Orochimaru, now we can find him without distractions. And another thing, what would Naruto want? He’s been trying all these years to get me back, how would he feel if I was exiled now because of him?”

Hinata knew Sasuke was just twisting his words, but she thought maybe there was some truth in them, at least in the secrecy part. And Naruto would be upset if Sasuke was exiled – but only if he was still alive.

“Fine. But, Uchiha Sasuke, I’m warning you. If we don’t rescue him I will tell them. I will tell the whole village what you did. And if we do rescue him, I won’t tell the others, but I won’t ever forgive you. I promise you that.”

Sasuke was rather taken aback. He was glad Hinata had agreed to keep it a secret, but he had thought she was more of a pushover than this. And he thought he even saw hatred in her eyes as she threatened him. She certainly had changed since he last saw her.

“I guess that’s a deal then. We’ll leave separately and meet one kilometre north-west of the entrance to the village in half an hour. Make sure you disguise yourself when you leave, and don’t tell anyone.”

With that, Sasuke shouldered his pack and walked out of the room. He transformed in the corridor and walked slowly out of the building in the body of an old man. When he arrived at the meeting point thirty minutes later and back in his usual form Hinata was already there.

“Okay Hinata, we’re heading north-west. It’s likely that Kisame is still in Konoha, so we’ll just have to visit each town in the direction he was moving in and get information from my contacts. We should reach the area where I believe we can start looking by tonight.” He began to run along the forest floor.

Hinata nodded and followed. There was no time to waste. No matter what her feelings towards Sasuke were at that moment, she had resolved when she first heard the story to obey him as long as they were both trying to rescue Naruto. She still felt empty inside and sick with fear, but at least she was doing something to help now, and that calmed her slightly. As she fell into a fast running rhythm she closed off her mind and concentrated on running as efficiently as possible. After a while they emerged from the thick forest and ran through farmland and small villages. And then, as the sun was beginning to go down, they reached a small town. Sasuke led them to a large inn in the centre of the town, and got an apartment style suite with a central living room and two bedrooms off it. Hinata wanted to press on, but Sasuke insisted that Kisame would be resting at night, and that they needed to be fresh if they caught up with him the next day.

“And also, I need to locate my contact here and see if he knows anything. It might take a couple of hours, make yourself comfortable. Do you have money for food?”

Hinata nodded and turned her back on him, walking into her room and sitting on the bed. She heard the door to the main room open and close, and then sensed Sasuke’s presence leave the building. She got up and left too. There was a ramen restaurant near the inn, and she went and sat on a high stool there. She felt a little uncomfortable being alone in a new town, but wasn’t particularly worried. She knew only another ninja would have a chance against her, especially since her Byakugan protected her from surprise attacks.

She sat in the restaurant for a while after she’d finished eating, thinking about Naruto. Her mind drifted between memories and imagined scenes of what might be happening to him now, and what he would say when she rescued him. Then she forced herself back to reality, paid the bill and stood up. She went back to her room in the inn, hoping that Sasuke wouldn’t be there yet. He wasn’t, and she breathed a sigh of relief before lying down on her bed without changing.



She was woken from a light sleep by the sound of the main door opening. She got up and opened her door slightly. Sasuke had come in and turned on the main light. He was smiling, and this alarmed Hinata somehow – she couldn’t remember ever having seen him smile before. She opened her door fully and walked a few feet into the room. Sasuke turned and his smile widened. Hinata felt a cold shudder run down her back.

“Good evening Hinata.”

“Did you find anything?” she asked nervously.

“Yes and no. Hinata, I’m afraid there’s been a change of plan.” But he didn’t look afraid. He was grinning more than ever. Hinata felt a flush of anger and fear flow through her, and grabbing a kunai from her pouch, she threw it at Sasuke’s head.

“You… what are you doing, Uchiha?” she shouted furiously.

“Now, now, we can’t have you denting the walls.” Sasuke turned his back on her, unafraid, and plucking the kunai out of the wall tossed it onto the table. “You’re going to be here for a while, after all. Take a seat and I’ll explain, you can’t hurt me so don’t bother trying.” Hinata thought for a minute, then sat down. It wouldn’t hurt to find out as much as she could before she killed him.

“Good.” Sasuke’s grin was beginning to fade, but he was obviously still enjoying himself. “Firstly, the good news. Naruto is not, currently, in any danger. The bad news is that as soon as we find him, he will be. In fact, he will die.”

Hinata gritted her teeth. “Why are you doing this?”

“Hmm. I told you everything this afternoon really, just not in the right order. Naruto didn’t leave Konoha of his own free will. He was kidnapped by my brother and his companion. Orochimaru couldn’t allow his power to go to Akatsuki, so we tracked them down and fought them. I killed my brother, then tried to kill Naruto. I think it was probably about then that Naruto stopped trying to bring me back to Konoha. I suppose he thought that when I’d killed my brother I’d just come back to that slow, stupid little village. Anyway, he quickly changed his mind about me. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to kill him. As I suggested to you earlier, he escaped in the confusion. And also, as I told you, he went underground, and did it remarkably well. I don’t remember that idiot being so good at hiding, but I suppose when his own life was at risk he developed a talent for it. He always was a scaredy-cat.”

Hinata was growing more and more angry, but she knew Sasuke was intentionally winding her up, and was determined not to give him the pleasure of seeing how successful he was being.

“We searched for him for some weeks, but couldn’t find him. However, we knew about your relationship with him from the beginning, and the easiest course of action open to us was to kidnap you, and spread the news. When Naruto hears about it he will come out, and we will ambush him on the way. Orochimaru won’t risk Akatsuki getting hold of Naruto again, and now I have been given a chance to avenge my family I serve Orochimaru. Together we will get more power.”

Sasuke paused, and Hinata saw his right eyebrow twitch again. She gasped and Sasuke laughed.

“So it was the eyebrow. There were plenty of other clues to make you suspicious, but I suppose that was the most obvious one. Anyway, thank you for making this all so easy. Don’t worry, I’ll put you out of your misery once Naruto is dead.” Sasuke turned and began to walk to his room. “Oh, and don’t bother trying to attack me or escape. I’ll know long before you manage either, and it wouldn’t make a difference. I’ve already started spreading the rumour, Naruto will come here anyway. I have to say Hinata, you really are naïve, trusting me like that.”

“Yes. Trusting you would have been naïve.” Hinata smiled back as Sasuke’s eyes widened slightly.
Teamwork by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I know the story has changed quite a bit in the end, but I hope you're still enjoying it.

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters or other things from the anime.
Sasuke’s eyes opened in surprise. What did she mean ‘trusting him would have been naïve?’ Then a palm hit his chest hard, blasting chakra into his organs. There was a flash and he saw the room as it really was as he collapsed. Hyuuga Neji was standing in front of him looking furious. ‘How did that happen?’ wondered Sasuke as his knees hit the floor and he began to cough up blood. ‘I should have sensed him coming ages ago, but he got into the room?’

“Excellent genjutsu, Hinata” he heard Neji say. A genjutsu to make him think the room was still the same? But when? Then he remembered the kunai Hinata had thrown at him. Or, past him? Had she meant for him to dodge so that he would turn his back to retrieve it? He coughed up more blood and felt a stabbing pain in his arm as Neji blocked his chakra systems. When had Neji come anyway? Damn it. ‘I should have watched her more carefully back in Konoha. I thought she’d be easier to manipulate than this.’ Slowly, he faded out of consciousness. The last thing he saw was a mixture of determination and a triumphant smile on Hinata’s face.

“Thank you Neji-nii-san,” she was saying.

“I couldn’t have gotten close without the genjutsu. That will teach him to underestimate a Hyuuga.”

Hinata blushed a little. “Thank you. But we have to hurry! You heard the story, he’s already spread the news. Naruto-kun might leave his cover at any moment, and then Orochimaru will find and kill him.”

“Firstly, I wouldn’t worry about Naruto too much if I were you. He won’t get killed so easily, even by a Sannin. And secondly, the rumour never got out. I decided to bring Lee with me, I know you asked me to keep this secret in case his story was true, but he’s useful in dangerous situations, and completely trustworthy. Anyway, we followed Sasuke when he left, and stopped any messages being sent out by his friend. Lee is with the man now, waiting for us.”

“Thank goodness.” For the first time in two months Hinata felt almost entirely at ease. Naruto was safe, hidden somewhere, and they just had to find him and get him back to Konoha without being detected by Orochimaru.

“Get your bag, I’ll deal with this.” Neji flipped Sasuke onto his back.

“He’s not… he’s not dead is he?”

“No, unfortunately. And I can’t just kill him in cold blood either.”

“What are you going to do with him then?”

“I’m going to make him harmless. It’s only his Sharingan that makes him useful to Orochimaru and a threat to Konoha.” Neji pulled out a long slender needle from his pouch. “Get your bag.”

When Hinata came back into the living room Neji was standing by the door. She looked over at where Sasuke lay on the floor, and Neji thought he saw pity in her expression.

“It’s painless, which is better than he deserves. But by the time he wakes up he will have lost his vision.”

“Yes. I was just thinking how sad it is. He was one of us once.”

“He only ever had one aim. At least he got to fulfill that. You needn’t feel sorry for him.”

“I don’t. I feel sorry for us. Well, for Naruto-kun and Sakura mostly.” Although while she was with Sasuke Hinata had dropped the ‘kun’ from Naruto’s name, it returned naturally now she was with someone she felt comfortable with.

“He’s only been blinded. If he wants, maybe he can still return to Konoha. If not, there’s nothing we can do.”

“No. Let’s find Lee then.”

They left the inn and walked quickly through the quiet streets of the dark town. As they walked Neji suggested the plans he had formed.

“Basically I expect that Naruto has been slowly making his way back to Konoha. It wouldn’t be like him to just sit in a hole and wait. But he is going very slowly to avoid discovery, and he’s probably had to make some detours. So potentially we could just return to Konoha and wait now that there is no immediate risk to him. However, I doubt that you’d be satisfied with that.”

“No.”

“Neither would I really. Orochimaru may find some other plan to catch him, or he might slip up. The longer he’s out there, the greater the risk. So I suggest we find out where Sasuke’s contact here was instructed to send messages. Sasuke knows where Naruto was last seen, and will have guessed where he was heading, so wherever he wanted the rumour spreading, that’s where we should look.”

“What will we do when we reach places where he might be?”

“Hopefully we can get names of contacts there that we can use from this guy. Otherwise we can spread the word that Hyuuga family members are around, that should bring him out without attracting too much attention from enemy shinobi. As a last resort, we can search whole towns with our Byakugan. But that would be very time consuming, and only an option if we were fairly sure Naruto was there somewhere.”

They had turned into a dusty alley off the main street and then followed a series of twisting roads between tall buildings. Now they entered a tall apartment building and Hinata followed Neji up to the third and top floor.

“Hinata-san, are you okay?” asked Lee as they walked in.

“Yes, thank you Lee-san.” Hinata looked round. The apartment looked quite comfortable actually, far better than she had expected in this rough back street. Along one wall were several cages with carrier pigeons in, and Hinata breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that there were no empty cages. Sitting in a soft chair on the opposite side of the room was a sullen looking young man with his arms crossed. Lee was standing in the very centre of the room, on a thick rug.

“It was as we guessed from the message he tried to send. Sasuke was trying to take Hinata hostage to bring Naruto out.” Neji was telling Lee.

“You beat him?”

“Hinata knew I would come and prepared the way for me with a genjutsu. He didn’t really have a chance, though I suspect he must have been being careless not to notice he was in a genjutsu.”

“As expected from you, Hinata-san.” Lee made a small bow to Hinata.

“No, no, it was nothing, I was just lucky.” blushed Hinata. “Thank you for your help.”

“For you and for Naruto it is not a duty but a pleasure. Neji, what is our next move?”

“I will interrogate this man. Hinata, please watch him too in case I miss anything.”

“Yes, Neji-nii-san.”

“Lee, can you keep watch? It is possible that there are other servants of Orochimaru around.”

“Will do.”

Lee left the apartment and Hinata and Neji turned to the young man in the corner, who cringed a little when he found he was the focus of two obviously powerful ninja. From what he had gathered they had beaten Sasuke-sama, which made them definitely objects of fear. His sullen expression and crossed arms had gone since he learnt that, and Neji knew this would be easy.

“So, let’s start with your name.”


Outside Lee sat on top of the building. He could hear traces of the conversation in the room below him, but was concentrating on the town around him. There was no sign of activity anywhere near them. He soon relaxed and began to enjoy the warm night wind that washed round him. There didn’t seem to be any further danger tonight.
Alone by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! Managed to get a little fluff in here for anyone who's missing it ;).

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or other characters or places featured in the anime.
Naruto sat on a pile of sacks in the dusty cellar. He had a transformed replication keeping guard out in the street, and a number of traps set up around the door. He didn’t like coming into towns, but had to get food and information somehow. Other transformed replications were spread around the town, some in bars gathering information, others buying food, none buying more than a few items to avoid suspicion. Creating so many replications was a drain on his chakra, but he had plenty left, and would easily recover what he had used once he got back into the countryside. When the food had been bought and any information got his replications would meet each other one by one in places where no one could see, and one of each pair would take the supplies and news. Then the other one would disappear and the first one would find another replication and repeat the process. Eventually the last one except the guard would arrive outside the cellar, Naruto would disable the traps, and take the goods himself. One replication would go in, and a person who looked the same would come out. Then the guard replication would precede Naruto as he made his way to the town exit, and finally, when they reached a forest or other cover the last replication would disappear.

It had taken Naruto a while to come up with this technique to avoid suspicion, and he had almost been discovered several times in the first weeks of his flight. After learning to use replications to avoid suspicion he had soon learnt that the return of the replications was the most critical part of the operation; people leaving a place aroused much less suspicion than people entering a place, and he could create replications and transform them in different places around the town before he found somewhere to hide and wait. Of course, he had tried staying outside a town completely and sending replications in, but no matter how far apart they were, someone must have noticed a larger number of people entering the town than normal, and Naruto had had to run for three days in the wrong direction before he shook off the pursuers that that person had alerted.

‘The problem,’ he thought, ‘is that they know where I’m trying to get to.’ He had had to take so many long ways round that he thought he must almost have gone a whole circle round Konoha without getting much closer. Or at least a half circle – orientation wasn’t his strong point. Which made off road progress, his only real option, slow. He clenched his fist in the cellar. Naruto really didn’t like all this hiding, but he had learnt that being discovered was far more time consuming than just moving very cautiously.

Footsteps outside distracted him. He moved to the boarded up window and peered out. The last replication was back. Naruto took down the traps quickly. He knew that they weren’t particularly good traps, but he always felt like setting traps while he rested was something he should do as a ninja, even if he wasn’t good at it. The replication entered and quickly transferred the food into a backpack Naruto had bought while it informed him that there were no rumours of Orochimaru or other threats in the town, and no significant rumours of any kind. This was only a slight relief to Naruto – an absence of rumours relating to Orochimaru could mean he was in an even more dangerous position than if there were rumours.

But secrecy didn’t seem to be a part of Orochimaru’s nature, as far as Naruto could tell. ‘He prefers it when people know he’s there.’ He thought angrily. ‘He gets some kind of sick kick out of it.’ But the pursuit had been silent and very dangerous. ‘I bet it’s Kabuto or damn Sasuke running it. Orochimaru would probably just flatten everything if he thought I was in the area.’ He stood up and shouldered his pack, then shook hands with his replication as it disappeared.

Twenty minutes later he was up a tree in a nearby wood, eating rice balls. He didn’t think he had attracted any attention on his way out, but would have to try and put as much distance between himself and the town before night fall anyway, and find somewhere safe to sleep. Eating was helping him recover chakra, and he had plenty left anyway, so he performed another replication technique. If it came down to a battle he knew now how to access the chakra of the Nine-tails at will, and using a little now to save using a lot by avoiding a fight seemed like a good idea. The replication jumped out of the tree and set off on a slightly different angle from the one Naruto would take. Too different, and they would know it was a false trail. Then Naruto stood up and paused for a second. Had he covered all his bases? He thought so. They shouldn’t be able to find him so easily tonight. Not for the first time, he thanked fate that his favourite technique was so useful in this kind of situation.

The days weren’t so bad really. He was moving, slowly but surely, towards Konoha, and as long as he had to concentrate on not leaving clues or markings his mind was occupied with the present. It was at night, when he put a replication on guard and tried to sleep that the memories would flood back in. First, and predominantly, he usually thought of Hinata. Before he was kidnapped he would never have guessed how much he would miss her, but he did, so much that it was almost painful. When he was being carried in some kind of sealed container after the abduction he had been fairly calm for the first two days, but as the third day came and he realised he would not be let out or able to escape in time for Hinata’s return from her mission, he had lost it. He had used all the power of the Nine-tails as he thrashed around inside, but the two separate chakras maintaining the seal had still been too powerful, and he had had to resign himself to a long captivity.

He still wasn’t sure how long his captivity had lasted, but it had felt like an eternity. Then, without warning, one of the chakras maintaining the seal had disappeared. Then the other had weakened, as if the person maintaining it was unsure where to devote their attention, and that was the moment Naruto had used to force his way out. And that moment was the second thing he thought of at night. When he had emerged he had seen Uchiha Itachi, the eyes of whom were also the last thing he saw before he went into captivity, standing in front of his container in a defensive stance. Lying on the ground very still, but alive, was the body of the other Akatsuki member responsible for his kidnapping, and facing Itachi over him was Sasuke.

“Sasuke!” Naruto had shouted, but Sasuke had ignored him. Itachi had wavered again between controlling Naruto and fighting Sasuke, and in that second of indecision Sasuke had killed him. It had been so fast that Naruto didn’t really know what had happened, but suddenly there had been silence as the two of them took in what this meant.

Naruto had broken the silence. “Sa… Sasuke, you did it! We can go back now, right?” And then Sasuke had turned to look at Naruto.

“Go back?” He had laughed. “I’m never going back. I’m going to keep on moving forwards. Forever.”

“Sasuke, you’ve killed him now, you can come back to your friends.”

“Friends are meaningless.”

“Then why did you just rescue me?” Naruto had shouted, beginning to get angry.

“Rescue you? I’m here to kill you.”

Naruto hadn’t really believed him until the chidori hit his arm. If he hadn’t dodged at the last moment it would have been a critical hit. Faced with this evidence, Naruto had begun to realise that taking Sasuke back to the village was not only pointless, but potentially very dangerous. However, he couldn’t bring himself to attack Sasuke, so he had run. And now, several weeks later, he was still running.

Naruto rolled over on the hard ground. The blanket he had bought to sleep in offered little protection against stones and bumps in the ground, but although his body was tired, he didn’t feel sleepy.

“Hinata.” he said out loud, earning a sympathetic look from the replication keeping guard. “I’m sorry Hinata, you must be worried. But I’m coming back, I promise I’ll be back soon. And then I won’t ever leave you again. I know now how much you mean to me. So please wait, just a little bit longer. Please wait for me.”

His voice trailed off in the silent forest. But he felt better now, more at ease. A small smile graced his lips as he imagined her face, and then at last his mind shut down and he fell into a deep sleep.
Under Attack by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, wasn't happy wth the last chapter and got unmotivated... Hope you like this one anyway. Thanks for the reviews!

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters.
Naruto was woken by his replication after only a few hours of sleep. He felt the urgency in the replication’s hands, and when he opened his eyes he saw the silent message on his face.

They were coming.

Naruto had lived through a number of these moments already over the last few weeks, but he hadn’t expected to be caught up with tonight. The replication pointed in the direction that the enemies were approaching, and Naruto nodded to show he understood. It seemed the enemies were keeping to the forest floor, and moving slowly to try and surprise him. Perhaps they didn’t expect him to have a guard. They were still not close enough to sense more than his general position, so he grabbed his blanket and silently leapt onto the large overhanging branch of the nearest tree. He was anxious to discover what the enemies’ instructions were. Capture, or kill on sight? The replication remained below, and lay down on the leafy ground as if asleep.

There was complete silence, but Naruto could sense several people moving closer, slowly but steadily. Then after what seemed like hours but was probably only a few minutes, three dark figures appeared around the clearing. They continued to move closer to the motionless body on the ground. Then Naruto saw one retrieve a kunai from somewhere in his black clothes. There was a flash of moonlight on the blade as he threw it directly at the replication. It hit the target right in the throat, and there was a poof of smoke as the replication dissolved. They weren’t playing games after all, they were here to kill him. Naruto was distracted from this information by the arrival of a new figure below him.

“Naruto-kun, you can come out now.”

Kabuto! Damn it. No wonder they had caught up so fast. Naruto silently performed the seal, then shouted ‘kage bunshin no jutsu’ and joined the dozen replications falling to the ground around the Sound ninjas.

“Where is Orochimaru?” he demanded angrily.

Kabuto smiled slightly, further angering Naruto.

“That has nothing to do with you Naruto-kun. Or did you flatter yourself that Orochimaru-sama was fully occupied with you alone? Don’t overrate yourself. Orochimaru only wants you dead to make a point.”

“I don’t care what he wants. But I’m not going to die here. I have to go back to Konoha.” He drew his kunai and held it in front of him, the replications copying his movements.

Kabuto gave a single laugh. “To become Hokage? Or to see that girl?”

Naruto growled furiously, but held down the Nine-tails chakra that wanted to burst out as his emotions grew fiercer. He launched himself at Kabuto as the replications attacked the other ninjas, swinging his kunai at Kabuto’s face. Kabuto blocked the attack and sliced back with his other hand. Naruto dodged backwards, but felt his skin part along the top of his ribcage. Suddenly he remembered his last battle with Kabuto, and the way he used chakra to form a surgical scalpel around his fingers. But he wouldn’t be caught by that this time. ‘This is just like fighting Neji,’ he told himself. ‘If I get hit, it’s over, but his only weapons are his hands.’ He tried to remember how he beat Neji, but the end of that battle was a bit of a blur.

“Damn it” he said out loud, and Kabuto smiled again. Around him the replications were co-operating to switch battles between blows, and were steadily overpowering the three Sound ninjas. Attacked suddenly from behind, Naruto saw one of the three fall unconscious as the replication responsible swung back to his previous opponent, then darted sideways to land a blow on the third. Kabuto had also followed the battle behind him, but smiled slightly and shrugged as he turned back to Naruto.

“I’m going to kill them. Don’t you care?”

“If they can’t even beat you they are of no value.” Kabuto raised his fingers again and walked forwards towards Naruto, who jumped backwards. One of his replications came running back to him and Naruto held out his hand for the Rasengan. But as he lunged forwards Kabuto dodged it easily, and Naruto felt a sharp pain down his right arm. His flesh was open, and he thought he saw bone before the blood began welling up into the gash. Kabuto smiled again, and raised his hand.

Naruto leapt back, ignoring the pain in his arm. Out of the corner of his eye he saw another Sound ninja collapse, and four of the remaining replications attacked the final Sound ninja with renewed vigour. The fifth joined Naruto again as he formed another Rasengan and charged Kabuto again, shouting incoherently. Kabuto dodged again, but as he arced his hand down towards Naruto’s unprotected neck the replication leapt at Kabuto with his kunai, forcing him to step aside and target the replication, which promptly disintegrated. Kabuto frowned momentarily as he turned to face Naruto again. Naruto was breathing heavily, but didn’t want to use the Nine-tails if he could help it. Another replication ran back to help Naruto form a third Rasengan.

“Is that all you can do Naruto-kun? You won’t get back to Konoha like that. But, maybe Konoha isn’t where you should be heading. Not if you’re looking for the Hyuuga girl, anyway.”

Naruto paused and maintained the Rasengan in his hand. The pain from his arm was beginning to dull as he lost his feeling in it, but he still had some control over it.

“What do you mean?” he spat back angrily.

“Hm.” Kabuto smiled again. “So you haven’t heard yet. Sasuke-kun kidnapped her. Of course, I can’t guarantee that there’d still be any point in you looking for her, but if you wanted to recover the body…”

“You’re lying!” shouted Naruto, sprinting forward with the Rasengan held in front of him. He couldn’t maintain it much longer with that arm, but he felt the presence of the replication alongside him as he leapt at Kabuto…

Who calmly stepped between them, hitting them both in the stomach with a chakra enhanced finger. The replication disappeared, and Naruto and Kabuto stood for a second, locked together, the blood beginning to drip through the hole in Naruto’s top. Then Kabuto saw a small smile appear on Naruto’s face, and realised his mistake a second too late. The last three replications had finished their battle, and now one appeared beneath Kabuto, kicking him into the air. The other two joined him in the air, punching him hard as he tried to block the blows. On the ground Naruto let the Nine-tails chakra in, overriding the pain in his body which demanded that he stop moving, and giving him fresh energy and a surge of power.

“It’s over now!” he shouted, launching himself into the air.

And it was.



A few minutes later Naruto was still crouching on the ground facing Kabuto’s lifeless body. “You’re lying. You’re lying.” He repeated, hoping desperately it was the truth. “Damn fox. Hurry up and heal me quickly, I have to get to a town as soon as possible.”

He rolled onto his back and fell silent. ‘It’s not true’ he told himself. Naruto’s fist clenched, releasing a fresh wave of agony from his arm. ‘It’s not.’
The Heiress by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Enjoy!
Hinata walked slowly through the centre of a small town on Neji’s arm. Lee was following them at a safe distance.

They had gathered a basic idea of Naruto’s position from Sasuke’s contact, but had decided not to try and find any more contacts from that network. Neji’s plan was that people would know they were there, but without it seeming to threaten Orochimaru’s plans, so eliminating his information network was something to be avoided. They had been followed from the first town, but not by anyone who was a threat. Besides, with the Byakugan they could easily keep an eye on him, which was safer than having someone they couldn’t see track them. They had made quite a show of entering each town as the ‘Hyuuga Heiress’ and her cousin, a Konoha jounin, to make sure if Naruto visited the town soon afterwards he would be able to find them. Hinata found having to parade as an heiress very embarrassing, but Neji had insisted that this was the fastest way to find Naruto. So she had agreed, and worked hard to keep up the act and hold down her blushes when they were approached by local dignitaries.

However, this was the third town they had gone through in two days, and Hinata was finding it increasingly wearing. But as Neji had pointed out, if Sasuke’s plan had been based on sending out rumours, it meant that Naruto must be in a position where he could gather them. She covered a slight sigh with a pleasant smile as they were intercepted by a messenger from the local lord, inviting them to eat lunch with him. Hinata looked at Neji pleadingly, but he was graciously accepting the invitation.

“Neji-nii-san, can’t we just – I mean, I’d rather eat somewhere small and private.” she asked as the messenger left.

“Hinata, I know you don’t like the attention, but it wouldn’t be right for an heiress to eat in some little café or ramen bar. Eating with the right people is by far the best way of letting the town know who we are.”

“Yes, Neji-nii-san.” She looked down sadly, but a small squeeze of her arm by Neji reminded her to look back up and force a smile.

“I’m sorry Hinata, but you have to keep going a little longer. Maybe this will be the town.” she heard Neji whisper without looking round. She squeezed his arm back to show that she understood and was grateful.

“Let us find somewhere to sit down for a little, Hyuuga Hinata-sama.” Neji said loudly as they arrived in the central square. He watched in satisfaction as a nearby shopkeeper hurriedly ran into his shop and appeared again with a large wooden chair which he placed in the middle of the square where it was joined by several other chairs and a parasol from other people around. The shopkeeper bowed low and offered Neji and Hinata his chair in a voice they could hardly hear. The others followed suit, and Neji could see people looking their way all across the square as they sat down in the shade of the parasol.

Suddenly he became aware of a figure whose reaction seemed different. An old man on the opposite side of the square had turned a little too fast and almost run down the nearest street away from them. Neji looked around for Lee and was relieved to see that he was nearby, though he didn’t seem to have noticed the old man’s behaviour. But between them Neji was fairly sure they could handle anyone except Orochimaru or perhaps an Akatsuki member. ‘And,’ he considered, ‘I shouldn’t rule Hinata out if there’s a fight. She’s proven that she’s got what it takes.’

And then his thoughts were distracted by the almost unbelievable sight of Naruto tearing into the square and looking round anxiously before sprinting in their direction. Neji felt Hinata’s grip on his arm tighten, and heard her gasp. And suddenly she was up, running towards Naruto through the crowds.

“Hinata, wait, it could be a trap.” he shouted halfheartedly, leaping after her. But he knew now that it wasn’t. He saw the amazement on Naruto’s face for a second before it was obscured by the back of Hinata’s head as they came together and held each other tightly. Neji stopped running and looked round. Lee was staring at Naruto and Hinata, then he looked at Neji and made a ‘nice guy’ pose. Neji ignored him tolerantly and walked forward to where Naruto and Hinata were beginning to exchange muddled exclamations.

“Naruto-kun, I’m so glad… looking everywhere, hoping…”

“Hinata-chan, I thought… Kabuto said… he said kidnapped.”

Neji interrupted. “Hinata, perhaps we should follow your earlier wish and go somewhere more private now?”

“Neji!” Naruto seemed to notice him for the first time. “But what are you guys… why are you…”

“Neji-nii-san is right, Naruto-kun. Let’s go inside somewhere.”

Neji led them into the nearest inn, signalling for Lee to join them, and rented two rooms for the night. Then they went upstairs and sat down in the larger of the rooms. Lee burst in a moment later and began greeting Naruto loudly. When things had calmed down a little Neji began to answer Naruto’s questions. Hinata was sitting on Naruto’s lap staring at him happily but silently, and seemed content to let Neji tell the story. Lee was nodding enthusiastically at everything Neji said, and Naruto had his arms wrapped tightly around Hinata’s waist as he kept up a barrage of questions that steered the conversation.

“But why are you here?”

“To look for you, of course. We…”

“I heard it was some official visit though.”

“Yes, that’s what we told the town, on purpose so that…

“So then… so then you weren’t kidnapped, Hinata? Thank goodness.”

“No, I’m afraid she was abducted…”

“By Sasuke? I’ll kill him! He’s gone too far now!”

“That’s not necessary now Naruto. He has been dealt with.” Neji had finally managed to finish an answer.

“You… you beat him? He’s… he’s dead?” Naruto tried to take in this information. Whatever he said, to imagine that his one time best friend might actually have died was still a shock.

“Thanks to Hinata, he was beaten. But he’s not dead. You don’t need to worry about him any more though, he’s no longer a threat.”

Naruto fell silent for a moment as he tried to work out what that meant, but Neji didn’t feel like explaining something that was obviously still painful to Naruto, and began to ask Naruto questions.

“You said something about Kabuto, did he tell you that Hinata had been kidnapped?”

“Yes, just last night.”

“His information was old, we haven’t seen Sasuke since three nights ago.”

Then Hinata interrupted quietly. “Naruto-kun, is it true what he said? That Akatsuki took you?”

Naruto’s face fell momentarily and pain flashed across it as he looked away from them.

“Yes. Hinata, I’m sorry, I tried to get back, I really tried. I – I missed you so much.” Then he felt her hands gently clasp his face and turn it back to hers, and suddenly she was kissing him and he knew he didn’t have to explain any more.

Neji looked away as the two continued to kiss each other desperately, and Lee got up and left the room quietly. Neji waited some minutes, then coughed gently. They broke their kiss immediatedly and both began to blush furiously.

“Sorry to interrupt, but Hinata, we have a lunch appointment we have to go to.”

“But Neji-nii-san, we’ve found Naruto-kun now, it doesn’t matter.”

“We promised. It would tarnish the Hyuuga reputation and be a grave insult if we didn’t go. I’ll wait outside, but please don’t be long.”

Neji left the room and joined Lee sitting against the wall in the corridor.

“Hinata and I have to eat lunch with someone, do you mind looking round the town to check everything’s all right?”

“Of course, Neji.”



The door to the room opened and Hinata emerged looking very happy. Neji tried to hide a smile as he looked at her, then stood.

“Fine, let’s go then. Lee, I’d keep away from that room for a couple of hours if I were you.”

Lee looked slightly confused, but nodded and bounded off down the corridor.

“And you,” Neji said, taking the replication’s arm, “had better be a better actor than Hinata.”
Hyuuga Hiashi by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I'm really sorry about how long this has taken. And even worse, I have no idea when the next one will be up. But I will keep trying to think of new ideas! All your reviews help a lot, I'm very grateful for those. And this is a relatively long chapter, so I hope that at least you enjoy this. Thanks for reading!

Oh, I removed the 'chan' from when Naruto talks to Hinata. I hope that doesn't bother anyone, I just like her name better without it.
“Of course, technically you three are all Missing-Nin. However, it might be possible to argue that you were abducted too, Hinata. In which case Neji and Lee were taking emergency measures to protect a fellow Konoha shinobi. Besides, we need all the ninja we can get at the moment, so I’ll let you off this time. But please act less rashly next time. And you too, Naruto, if you get yourself kidnapped again it’ll only be what you deserve for being so careless.”

“But Tsunade-oba-chan!”

“No excuses! I have missions for you all starting tomorrow, so go and get some rest.”

“Yes, Tsunade-sama.” replied Neji, and Lee and Hinata bowed with him. Naruto looked like he wanted to say more, but he followed the others out. As the door closed Tsunade called out.

“Shizune!”

“Yes, Tsunade-sama?” asked Shizune as she entered.

“I need to find missions for those four, starting tomorrow.” Then she continued under Shizune’s exasperated glare: “It was the only sure way to get rid of him!”




“Man, missions already? You’d think she’d give us a bit of a break.”

“Huh. You’ll probably just send a replication again.”

It wasn’t the first time Neji had teased Naruto about that in the last two days, but it still made Hinata blush and Naruto laugh embarrassedly.

“Well, I’m going to follow her advice. Hinata, are you coming back to the compound now too?”

“Umm, I think I’ll stay with… umm, out here, for a little longer.”

“Okay, see you later then. Lee, Naruto.” Neji nodded to each of them, then walked off towards the Hyuuga compound.

“I haven’t had much time to train these last days.” Lee said as he left too.

“Just us then Hinata!”

“Mm” she smiled back at him.

“What do you want to do?”

“Well, I am a little tired. Maybe we could eat quickly at Ichiraku’s and then just go to your appartment?”

“Sure, whatever you want.”

They ate in almost silence, Naruto doing his best to be quick, and Hinata just playing with her ramen. She had made a decision, and was determined to stick to her resolve, but that didn’t stop it from dominating her thoughts. She looked up at Naruto, who was hurriedly gulping down his third bowl and felt reassured. It was the right decision. Naruto felt her gaze on him and turned to smile at her.

“Almost finished!”

“That’s okay, Naruto-kun. You can have the rest of my ramen too if you want.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m not hungry.”

“Thanks!”

Naruto finished, and Hinata slipped off her stool as he paid. She waited, then smiled contentedly as he put his arm round her shoulders and pulled her out into the street. They walked back to Naruto’s apartment talking quietly.

“It feels like years since I was here.”

“It… it felt like you were away for years to me too.”

“I won’t let it happen again.”

“Neither will I.”

They stopped in the middle of the street as Hinata said that, looking at each other. Then their lips met for a few short seconds before Naruto tightened his hold on Hinata’s shoulders and they continued down the road.




They sat on the edge of Naruto’s bed talking for some time. Eventually Naruto looked outside and saw how high the moon had gotten. He turned to Hinata:

“Shall I walk you home now? It’s gotten very late.”

Hinata steeled herself. The moment she’d been waiting for all evening had finally come.

“Umm, Naruto, if it’s okay, I think I’d rather stay here.”

“What?”

“Well, I… I feel more at home with you anyway, and I don’t want to leave and then not find you again.”

“But, but… I mean, I don’t mind, but is that really alright? What about your family?”

“Neji won't mind - he let us share a room the last two nights, didn't he? The others probably don’t know I’m back yet, but my father never cares what I do anyway.”

“Well, uh, of course you can stay then, if you’re sure it’s okay.”

“Thank you, Naruto-kun.” Hinata breathed a sigh of relief. Everything was going to be perfect from now on.




They were woken shortly after dawn by a frantic banging on Naruto’s door. Naruto sat up instantly, and Hinata followed, holding Naruto’s arm tightly, fear showing suddenly in her sleepy eyes. Then they heard a voice:

“Naruto! Hinata! Open the door, quick!”

“It’s Neji-nii-san!” whispered Hinata. Naruto nodded and detached her from his arm before stumbling over to the door and opening it a crack. Hinata pulled up the cover but remained sitting as Neji pushed his way in and shut the door behind him.

“Hinata, it’s your father. He’s coming.”

“What?” asked Naruto. Hinata said nothing, but was immediatedly having regrets about her decision to stay. The slight relief she had felt when she heard Neji’s voice had evaporated instantly, and her eyes showed her fear again.

Neji continued to address Hinata. “When I went to train with him this morning he realised that if I was back you should be too. He asked where you were, and I had to tell him that the last time I saw you was with Naruto. He… well, he wasn’t very happy. Why didn’t you go back last night?”

“Neji-nii-san, I… I…” Hinata’s voice faltered and died.

“Hinata, you’d better go now, with Neji. Tell him… tell him it was my fault.” finished Naruto for lack of a better excuse.

“No.”

“But, Hinata, if he finds you here…”

“I told you, I’m not leaving you again. Neji-nii-san, you go. I don’t want you to get in trouble for warning us.”

“Hinata, are you sure you won’t come too?”

“I’m sure. Go quickly – and thank you.”

Neji waved his hand in dismissal, and left hurriedly, whispering a ‘good luck’ as he closed the door behind him.

“Hinata, are you sure this is a good idea?”

Hinata was quickly getting dressed, and Naruto began to follow her example.

“I don’t understand,” she said as she dressed, “He’s never cared what I did before, never. He’s never paid any attention to me at all since Hanabi was born.”

She was interrupted by three solid knocks on Naruto’s door. Naruto looked at Hinata, who was trembling slightly as she nodded and moved to a wooden chair by the table as she zipped up her jacket. Naruto quickly pulled on his jacket too, and went to the door, opening it half way. There stood Hyuuga Hiashi, an expression of barely controlled fury and something else that Naruto didn’t recognise on his face.

“I’m looking for my daughter,” he managed to say through gritted teeth, “I understand you were with her last night.” It wasn’t a question.

“Umm, yes. She’s umm… she’s here now. Naruto opened the door wide and stepped out of the way as Hiashi swept in, his expression becoming increasingly dark. Naruto closed the door as Hinata jumped to her feet.

“Father!”

“Hinata… I…” Hiashi stuttered in his anger. “What is the meaning of this?”

Hinata looked down “I wanted… I wanted to stay with Naruto – with Naruto-kun.” She looked back up as Hiashi seemed to growl wordlessly.

“I always knew you would never… that you would never make me proud. That you would never do justice to your clan. But I never – I never thought you would shame us like this.”

“Don’t… how can you… don’t, don’t say that!” shouted Naruto, incoherent in his rising rage.

“You be quiet! This has nothing to do with you.”

“If it has to do with Hinata it has to do with me. I won’t let you…”

He was interrupted by Hinata’s quiet voice. “Naruto-kun, it’s okay.”

Hiashi turned back to Hinata.

“When I heard you had left the village without permission I didn’t think you could stoop any lower. I regretted that I ever let you become a ninja. But now I find you staying with this boy as if you had no honour what-so-ever!”

“All Hinata’s done is sleep here!”

“Silence! I’m not going to listen to your nonsense. Hinata, you’ve given me no choice. From now on I will not consider you a part of the Hyuuga clan. You are no longer welcome in my house, and you will certainly never become head of the clan.”

Hinata looked up in surprise, then sat with her head bowed, and even Naruto was at a loss for words, amazed by this harsh judgement.

“You… you bastard…” He made as if to stop Hiashi as he turned to leave, but then Naruto heard Hinata say his name and ran to her side.

Hiashi ignored Naruto and left the appartment without looking at him.

Hinata was trembling violently as she held back sobs. Naruto knelt beside her chair and took her in a powerful hug.

“I’m sorry Hinata, he shouldn’t… it’s not fair. You haven’t done anything.”

Hinata was sobbing powerfully now.

“I don’t… I don’t care about… about the clan… but he…” Her words became blurred as her little body heaved with each new sob. Naruto was silent, but held Hinata increasingly tightly as she continued:

“I knew… I knew he wished… I was different. But I didn’t… I could see… his eyes… he was… he was…” She stopped talking as her tears took over. Naruto moved up onto one knee so that she could rest her head on his shoulder as she began to desperately hug him back. He buried his fury that someone could make her cry like this and concentrated on trying to make her feel better.

“Hinata, don’t think about him, he just hasn’t looked properly. I know, and you’ve got lots of other friends who know, how amazing you are. It doesn’t matter what he thinks, he’s wrong!”

“But Naruto-kun… when I looked at his face, underneath, he wasn’t… he wasn’t angry. He was,” she choked, “he was happy. It’s… it’s the first time he’s been… happy about something I’ve done. He’s just been waiting… for a chance to… get rid of me.”

Naruto’s fists clenched in anger behind her back. How dare he! How dare he do this to Hinata! But he continued to hold and try to comfort her.

“It’s his loss Hinata, he might be happy now, but he doesn’t know what he’s missing out on. But one day he will, I know he’ll realise his mistake. And then he’ll wish he had looked more carefully. Just don’t think about it until then.”

After a few minutes Naruto gently detached himself from Hinata’s arms, and stroked her cheek with the backs of his fingers as he stood up.

“Let’s have some tea. We’ve got a mission today, you can start proving him wrong.”

He stepped through to the kitchen and put the kettle on, then found some of the old green tea from before he was kidnapped. When he went back through to the other room she was still sitting, head bowed, exactly as he left her. But when he sat down on the floor in front of her and took her hands she managed to wipe her eyes and smile a very small smile at him.

“Thank you Naruto-kun.”

She slipped down onto the floor next to him and they shifted backwards a little so their backs were against the side of Naruto’s bed.

“I’m glad… I’m glad it happened when you were with me.”

“It’s okay Hinata, don’t think about it any more. You’re a strong person, you’ll be alright. Here’s your tea.”

“Thank you, Naruto-kun.”

Naruto watched Hinata take a few small sips of the hot tea. Then she put her cup aside and leant her head on his shoulder. Soon her breathing slowed and her head slowly slipped down to his lap. He looked at his clock. Still plenty of time before they should report to the Hokage’s office.

“I guess this means you’ll be staying here permanently then.” he whispered as he brushed a few stray strands of hair away from her sleeping face. “So it’s not all bad.”
A Mission by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Again, I'm really sorry for the delay. My inspiration has deserted me compltely on this story. I really will have to end it soon, I've realised that the fun part of NaruHina is before they get together... But there's another short arc still to come, as long as you don't think it's too unoriginal... as I say, no inspiration.

What I mean to say is, enjoy!
Things went as smoothly as they could have for Naruto and Hinata over the next few days. When Neji heard what Hiashi’s decision had been he was furious, but Hinata eventually persuaded him not to confront her father about the matter. She didn’t want him to fall out of favour too, especially not over her. So Neji limited his actions on her behalf to supervising the transportation of her belongings to Naruto’s appartment. She didn’t have much, but even so Naruto’s tiny home was quickly becoming crowded. Hinata wouldn’t hear of them buying a new appartment though, and in his heart Naruto was glad. Instead, Hinata gave the larger objects, such as the odd piece of furniture that had been made especially for her, to Neji. He insisted that he would only have them temporarily, to look after them until Hinata wanted them back.

A surprise arrived two mornings afterwards, in the form of an envelope from Hinata’s father. Hinata was afraid to open it at first, but Naruto persuaded her to get it over with. Inside was a short, formal note, informing her that a slightly reduced inheritance was being given her now, with details on where and how to get the money. However, now that they both had missions quite often, money wasn’t really a problem, and the inheritance served more as an unpleasant reminder for Hinata. She decided not to access it for the time being – she felt that receiving her inheritance would be the final admittance of her break with the clan.

Now that both his ambitions and conscience were satisfied Hiashi devoted himself entirely to his second daughter. He even stopped training with Neji so as to have more time for Hanabi. After a week had passed Hinata managed to write a letter wishing Hanabi luck, and assuring her that she bore no grudge against her. But she never received a reply, and had no way of knowing if this was Hanabi’s decision or because Hiashi had interfered.

However, despite all her own troubles, Hinata couldn’t help noticing that Naruto seemed different since they returned. Or, not different, but troubled, as if there was something on his mind. Eventually she plucked up the courage to ask him what was wrong, one evening when they were treating themselves to a meal out. At first he laughed it off and pretended nothing was wrong, but she showed the rare persistence that seemed to only emerge when Naruto was involved, and eventually he fell silent and put his head between his arms on the table. Without looking up he asked:

“Has anyone told Sakura about what happened yet?”

Hinata knew he was referring to Sasuke’s fate.

“Umm, I don’t think so… unless Tsunade-sama…”

She heard him sigh, and then he looked up with eyes brimming with sadness.

“I just wish – I mean, it’s over now, isn’t it. I always wanted to bring him back, and I just can’t.”

Hinata was silent and looked down, then away.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled, “it’s because of me. It’s my fault he…” She didn’t like to elaborate. But her apology seemed to have a desirable effect as Naruto sat up fast and grabbed her hands over the table.

“No, no, it’s not your fault. It’s no-one’s fault, except mine for not finding him before it was too late.” He managed a wide smile, and his confidence seemed to return. “I’m just glad he didn’t hurt you.” Then the smile slid of his face again. “I guess I should tell Sakura now though. That I failed her.”

“Wait, Naruto-kun. You know… you know that he’s not dead yet don’t you?”

Naruto screwed up his eyes. “Maybe Neji said something about that. But he’s as good as dead, right?”

“Neji-nii-san said that he was harmless. He’s as good as dead for Oro-Orochimaru, but maybe not for us. We didn’t have time to do more than leave him, but maybe…”

A loud thump interrupted her and Hinata looked up. Naruto was standing across the table from her, his fists clenched on the tabletop where he had brought them down. And she was relieved to see that his eyes were filled with determination again.

“Right. I’m going to find him then.”

“Naruto-kun!” Hinata was beginning to regret her honesty, despite her joy at seeing Naruto back to normal. “What about Orochimaru though? And the Fifth said…”

“You said that Orochimaru’s not interested in Sasuke any more, right? And I’ll ask Tsunade no oba-chan for some days off.” He began to leave the restaurant. “I’m going to her office now, see you soon!” he called through the closing door.

Hinata was still sitting at their table, but she shook herself into action. She didn’t know whether Naruto’s behaviour just then classed as predictable or unpredictable, but she did know that her Naruto was back. And that if he went after Sasuke alone he would probably never find him.

“Naruto-kun, wait!” she shouted at the door as she dropped a note and some coins on the table. She grabbed her coat and ran out into the street. Naruto had already disappeared, but she knew where he was going. She was about to follow when she had a sudden thought.

‘Perhaps there’s a better way to do this…’





“So you’re requesting a mission?”

Hinata nodded hesitantly. Being alone in the presence of the Fifth Hokage was still rather an ordeal for her.

“You want your team and Naruto to find Sasuke and capture him. Because he might have important information about Orochimaru?”

Hinata wondered why Tsunade had seemed to pause before completing the statement, but she nodded again.

“And because you’re afraid that if I don’t let you go, Naruto is going to do something stupid.”

Hinata stopped nodding.

“Ah, no, no, Tsunade-sama, it’s not…”

She was interrupted.

“Fine, I’ll make retrieving Sasuke a mission. But it will just be three of you. You may not be aware of this, but Aburame Shino has put in an application to join ANBU. He is currently attached to an ANBU squad as a trainee.”

“Yes, thank you Tsunade-sama!”

“You’d better hurry then. I suppose you know that Naruto was in here a short time ago? I told him he couldn’t have a holiday, and that he had to stay in the village, so he’s probably already packing.”

“Yes!”

“Try to complete this as quickly as possible. I want you to be the leader, as far as you can make them listen to you, and I’m holding you responsible for the success of the mission.”

Hinata swallowed nervously.

“Yes,” she said again.

“Go then. Good luck!”

“Thank you, Tsunade-sama!” said Hinata one last time as she turned and almost ran out of the room.





When she arrived at Naruto’s appartment a few minutes later she found that he was indeed packing a bag already. He turned as she entered.

“Hinata! I’m just about to leave, I was hoping you’d get back soon!”

“Naruto-kun, wait, I just saw the Hokage.”

“Hinata, I don’t care what she said, I have to go. She won’t really be angry if I leave for a bit.”

“I… I think she would be,” contradicted Hinata cautiously, “but it’s okay, she agreed to make it a mission.”

“What! Hinata, you’re a genius!” Naruto rushed over and hugged her tightly. Then he released her and stepped back a little, grinning form ear to ear. “Don’t worry, this time I really will be back soon!”

“No Naruto-kun, it’s a proper mission. Kiba and I are coming.”

“Hmph. I don’t really need help,” he said, then smiled even more brilliantly, “but I’m glad you’re coming!”

“Naruto-kun, if you’re packed already could you tell Kiba-kun? It’s late now so we won’t leave until tomorrow. Ask him to meet us at the gates at eight o’ clock please.”

“Why don’t we leave tonight though? I’m not tired!”

“Kiba-kun might be, and it’s dark already, we’d never be able to reach a town in time to sleep. And… and the Hokage said that… I should decide things like… that.”

“Hmm. Okay then, I’ll go and tell Kiba! Back soon!”

Naruto rushed out, leaving Hinata to pack her rucksack and pouches. Suddenly she felt a wave of tiredness overcome her, and by the time Naruto returned, glowing from the run and still grinning, she was fast asleep in the small bed they still shared. He climbed in beside her and gently took her sleeping body in his arms.

“I didn’t even say ‘thank you’ yet, did I?” he whispered. “But I will tomorrow. And, Hinata, you really are amazing.” He kissed her gently on her pale forehead, then removed his arms and rolled over.

Tomorrow he would finally begin fulfilling his promise.
Sasuke in Trouble by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Again, sorry for the long wait - the good news is the next one shouldn't take long at all! Thank you so much for all the reviews, and sorry for letting you down by publishing less often. If you feel like reviewing, that's really nice of you, but if you can't be bothered/think of anything to say, please just submit a rating at least? Thanks!
Sasuke stumbled behind a large tree and sat, breathing heavily. He gingerly felt his arms and chest, and the wetness that came onto his fingers confirmed his fears. One hand made it’s way further down to where he knew he had been injured, and pulled a small but cruelly barbed shuriken out of his calf, further ripping the flesh. He tore yet another strip of fabric off his shirt and crudely wrapped it round his lower leg. Then he lifted his head and tilted it to hear better. One, two… there were still three of them after him, all of his attacks must have missed. And they weren’t far away either. Under normal conditions he would have easily been fast enough to escape, but these weren’t normal conditions. He had been under attack almost continuously for five days, and if his tormentors weren’t obviously no higher than genin level he would have been dead long ago.

If only he still had his eyes, none of this would have happened.
Damn those Hyuugas.
Damn Naruto.
Damn his pursuers.
And damn Orochimaru. Damn him! Was this how he was repaid for all his work?

He couldn’t believe how his fortunes had reversed in the last two – or was it three, he had difficulty judging time now – weeks. He had been Orochimaru’s favourite, practically the head of the Sound Village. At the head of his own private squad within the Village, he had been one of the most powerful ninja in the world. He had finally managed to kill Itachi, and had been executing his own personal plan to kill Naruto, a feat that would surely have won him even more favour from his master. Perhaps even some new Forbidden Techniques.

And then it had all gone wrong. A moment of carelessness, an underestimation of someone he never thought could be a threat. And here he was, blind, bleeding, and probably dying. Crawling along in the forest, picking up a new injury at each new encounter, with new attacks threatening him several times a day, sometimes several times an hour. And always new voices taunting him, thick with smugness in their new found power over him, until he wasn’t even sure if the voices were real or just in his head. They were like a wolf pack, turning on their fallen leader.

That was how it had been in the Sound Village; A dog-eat-dog world where the strongest made the rules. Where Sasuke made the rules. He supposed he shouldn’t be surprised at how eager they were to turn the tables on him, but he hadn’t thought they would go this far. This was probably just a sick game for Orochimaru’s amusement. Perhaps as punishment for Sasuke’s failure, but more likely just because testing his young wolves on the helpless ninja gave Orochimaru pleasure.

Damn Orochimaru! For crying out loud, how had it come to this? And he was, big tears of shame, self-pity and anger that seeped down his grimy face. He tightened his grip on the evil shuriken still in his hand, feeling the blades cut into his bruised skin.

There!

His wrist flicked and he heard a whirring noise and a distinct ‘thunk’ and groan as it hit its target. One down. He began forming hand seals…





Naruto raced through the trees, Kiba and Akamaru just behind him and Hinata further back and falling more behind every minute. They had been following him in this wild dash ever since they found the first bodies, almost twenty-four hours ago, and it was beginning to tell on all of them. Information about Sasuke hadn’t been hard to find in the town where Hinata last saw him or the others he had passed through. It seemed he had stayed in the same hotel for several more days before he had managed to walk out almost normally and leave the town.

They had followed his trail through several small towns, and then out into the less habited areas towards the north border of Fire Country. And it was out here that Akamaru’s nose first caught the scent of blood that they had been following ever since. All the bodies were those of Sound Ninja, most very young, and it wasn’t hard for Kiba’s tracking skills to make sense of the first battle scene and tell them what had happened.

Naruto had begun running immediatedly, dashing any hopes Hinata might have had for coming up with a plan, or analysing the situation properly. So they had followed him through small woods and deserted fields, onto the scrubland and rocky outcrops that signalled the approach of the border with Earth Country.

And now, arriving in the final thick belt of woodland before the border, Kiba heard Akamaru growl slightly, and concentrated on his own nose.

“Naruto! Oi, Naruto, stop!”

Although he had ignored dozens of similar requests over the last day, the sudden urgency in Kiba’s voice made Naruto obey.

“What is it?”

“Blood.” Seeing Naruto begin tensing to continue running Kiba quickly explained further. “Fresh blood this time, only a few minutes old. He’s here.”

“Right! Let’s do this.” Shouted Naruto, a new wave of determination claiming his face as he turned around.

“Wait, idiot! We need to be careful, we don’t know what’s happening at the moment, or how he will react.”

Naruto just grinned. “It’ll be fine!” And then he was gone.

Kiba swore quietly and prepared to follow when an exhausted Hinata dropped onto his branch.

“Ki-Kiba-kun.” She managed to say between gasps.

“We’ve caught up, Hinata. I’ll follow Naruto and keep him out of danger. Rest a little, then come. You ready, Akamaru?” he continued, turning to the dog.

“Th-thank you, Kiba-kun.” Hinata watched Kiba disappear through the branches. Despite her official role as leader, any semblance of control she had had over the other two had been limited to fairly minor matters, like when they would stop to sleep or eat, and where they would stay. Though, to be fair to them, she had usually just asked them what they thought even when they were deferring to her. She was still uncomfortable in any position of command, and as much as she wanted to follow Kiba and try to help, a secret part of her rejoiced that if she wasn’t there she didn’t have to take responsibility for anything that happened. And in this state of exhaustion she couldn’t use Byakugan to watch either.

‘Just be careful, both of you,’ she thought, though her mind dwelled mostly on the orange-clad boy racing into danger somewhere ahead. She took out a soldier pill and settled down to catch her breath in the few minutes before it would take effect.





Sasuke dodged sideways as he heard shurikens whistling towards him, but both mind and body were beginning to slow in their fatigued state, and he felt the weapons hit home. He staggered but managed to move round a huge tree trunk, gaining him a few seconds relief. These last two were better than the others – or was he just slower now? He felt for the shurikens embedded in his left side and pulled them out crudely. These ones were barbed too. That had been Kabuto’s idea, and he had argued against it, saying that shurikens were for killing, not causing pain. That dispute had gone Kabuto’s way though, and Sasuke hadn’t cared particularly. He still used a private supply of regular shurikens – or he had. Now he used whatever was thrown at him.

A slight creak of a branch up to his right alerted him to a new attack, and he stirred his body into action, rolling forwards out of danger. As he rolled he threw the shurikens as a cover, then quickly formed hand signs and released his trademark attack in the direction of his assailant as he came out of the roll. The cover had worked, and he heard screams as flames erupted in the branches. Then something hard hit him in the back, launching him into the air. He hit a tree opposite with a sickening thud, and slid down. His brain struggled to understand what was happening – this was just about the first time anyone had dared to attack him from close up, where his blindness would be less of a disadvantage.

He struggled to his knees, but another blow hit him, knocking him back into the tree. He swung a clumsy kick, but it was still enough to catch his inexperienced attacker. He felt the contact knock the genin away, and collapsed sideways onto the muddy ground. He could sense movement from his opponents chakra, and heard heavy breathing, but couldn’t muster the energy to attack. Luckily he didn’t need to.

“Why did you do that to Tota-kun?” he heard the boy shout angrily. “He shouldn’t have… he shouldn’t have died like that, you bastard!”

Something stirred inside him. It was a long time since anyone had used that particular insult for him. The genin seemed to be holding back tears - Tota must have been the one he had burnt. He rolled to face the other way.

“You,” he managed to croak through his parched lips, “you can have what’s left of him.” And from somewhere outside his confused head he heard familiar words leaving his mouth. “Run, take him and run. Run and live and hate me and…” Sasuke’s voice died. As he heard the boy leave he thought absentmindedly, ‘just don’t run to Orochimaru. You’ll never survive, someone like you. Someone with pity for a dying opponent.’

He rolled back onto his back and tried to detect any approaching danger. If he had a little time, perhaps he would be able to hold off one more assault. But to his dismay, a new chakra aura seemed to appear almost instantly in the tree above him. A flash of defiance shot through him. ‘I’ll show them what it means to be an Uchiha. I’m not finished yet.’ He pushed himself to his knees and formed the seals for his fire technique. He tried to shout, but all that came out was a cracked whisper:

Katon: Go…

He was interrupted by a fist hitting him hard in the face, knocking him back to the ground; his last thought was that a genin should not have been able to move that fast.
Setting Things Straight by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Another chapter! I'm getting back into my 'first week enthusiasm' for this story, expect more soon!
Deep in his subconscious, Sasuke felt like he was flying. ‘So this is what death is like’, he thought briefly before his mind closed down again.

When he woke an overwhelming wave of pain screamed through his mind. All his muscles ached unbearably, and the uncountable wounds on his body felt like they were on fire. In fact, he could hear steam rising from them. Did this mean he had gone down? He hadn’t expected his mortal injuries to last into the afterworld. He tried to move to relieve the pain, but his body wouldn’t respond. A faint groan left his lips.





“Naruto-kun! He’s awake.”

Naruto woke instantly and hurled himself across the room. On his futon in the far corner Kiba growled softly and rolled to face the wall, pulling his blanket over his head. Naruto sat next to Hinata at Sasuke’s futon in the middle of the sparse inn room.

“Sasuke! Sasuke!”

He heard a slight groan from the boy below him. Hinata had treated most of Sasuke’s wounds with her herbal ointment, but her medical knowledge did not extend to healing the extreme stress his body had been under, and his muscles needed time to recover on their own. His heartbeat and breathing also indicated that he was still suffering slightly from Neji’s attack some weeks before.

There was no further movement from Sasuke, and after a few minutes Hinata moved away from the futon to lie down herself. Naruto remained by Sasuke’s side, staring intently at his face.

“Sasuke-teme”, Hinata heard Naruto whisper. She lay very still, watching the two of them. She was concerned about what Sasuke’s reaction to them would be, and didn’t want Naruto to get caught off guard trying to be nice. But to her the upswing in Naruto’s temperament since the mission began was worth any potential future risk. Though her feelings towards Sasuke were still distrust and dislike, she knew Naruto was fulfilling one of his dreams, and was only happy to have been able to help a little bit. She smiled a secret smile at Naruto’s profile. He seemed to once again be emitting his curious aura of positiveness as he crouched over Sasuke, his features taut and intense but simultaneously natural, the way she knew he was meant to look.

And the aura, if it could be called that, seemed to be affecting Sasuke. He moved very slightly, drawing Hinata’s gaze from Naruto. And then she heard him speak.

“You.”

It was cold, emotionless. Hinata watched Naruto anxiously for his reaction. However, when he spoke he sounded calm, though she could see his fists clenching and unclenching.

“Sasuke. We’re going back to Konoha. You’re going to start again.”

“You should kill me while you can.”

“Sasuke-teme!”

Sasuke didn’t reply, and seemed to Hinata to be falling asleep again. But Naruto leant forwards and grabbed Sasuke’s shoulders, shaking him violently. Although Sasuke was clearly awake he didn’t react.

“Sasuke!”

Naruto raised his fist. Sasuke seemed to sense the threat, and Hinata saw his muscles tense momentarily as the blow hit him on the side of the face. Naruto raised his fist again, and this time Sasuke dropped his pretence of apathy and tried to block with his tired arms.

“Sasuke-teme!” Naruto hit him again. “What do you mean kill you?” New blows punctuated each sentence, most hitting Sasuke’s feeble guard and crushing it back into his face. “You said, you said that time that you had two goals! You can’t die before achieving them, and you have to come back to Konoha. Uchiha is a Konoha clan, you want to revive it, right?”

The blows stopped, and Sasuke groaned back.

“I don’t care about that anymore.”

“Then what was the point?” Naruto’s voice rose in anger. “You’re just as bad as your brother, letting the clan die out!”

For the first time emotion came into Sasuke’s voice too, and his hands suddenly moved together to grab one of Naruto’s arms, holding it tightly.

“I’m not the same as him, you don’t understand!”

“You’re just living for death, it’s the same. Bastard!” Naruto wrenched his fist free from Sasuke’s hands and brought it down again into the boys face. Hinata flinched a little with each new blow, but she could tell that Naruto was going easy on his former teammate. Looking to the other wall, she could see that Kiba had given up on sleeping and was watching interestedly, Akamaru by his side.

“I’m an avenger, of course I live for death!” Sasuke brought his guard back up, his body tensing for another blow, but it didn’t come. Naruto moved back, and his voice calmed.

“No. You’re an Uchiha. You should live for your clan. We have to take you back to Konoha for questioning about Orochimaru. After that you can do what you want, but think about what your duty to your family is.”

“Don’t lecture me about family! What would you know?”

However, Naruto was moving away, back to his futon, and he ignored Sasuke. Kiba piped up from his side of the room, mocking Naruto.

“Oi, oi, aren’t we mature?” Kiba laughed a little, but continued more seriously. “Now he’s regained consciousness we should drug him. He’s too dangerous.”

Hinata moved to an upright position, and felt herself nodding, but when she saw Naruto’s expression she hastened to support what she knew his answer would be:

“I don’t think we need to, Kiba-kun. He knows we’re protecting him, if he kills or escapes from us he’ll be attacked again. He needs us around him.”

Kiba grunted assent and pulled his blanket back over his head, but Sasuke’s reaction to her words was not equally calm. He sat up suddenly, his face pointing furiously in her direction.

“Y-you were here?”

Naruto spoke up again:

“Hinata helped save you. I don’t care what you say to me, but thank her at least.”

“What? I’ll never thank that bitch for anything!” Sasuke made efforts to try and stand up, but Kiba and Naruto were both on him in a flash. As they pushed him down Kiba leaned in close to Sasuke’s face and whispered in a harsh voice:

“Don’t think we’re all going to trust you like Naruto does. Don’t make any sudden moves, and don’t you dare threaten Hinata. What she contributed to was no more than anyone would have done, and far less than you deserve. You should know that most of us wouldn’t have let you live.” He leaned even closer. “Still might not, if there’s anything left of you when the Hokage’s finished.”

Hinata relaxed as Sasuke lay back down. His eyes were still angry, but his voice was cold.

“You don’t scare me, Inuzuka.”

Kiba’s mouth curled into a wicked grin.

“Scare you? I’m not trying to. I’m just giving you the facts. You better behave from now on – or else.”

“Hmm.” Sasuke was feigning apathy again, but Hinata could still see tenseness in his face – and was that fear? Naruto had returned to his futon, and Kiba stood up again with a final threatening ‘heh’.

“I guess I’ll take this watch. You two can get some sleep.”

“Thank you, Kiba-kun.”

“Okay. Thanks, Kiba.”

Hinata rolled to face the wall as Naruto lay down nearby. It had been clear and sunny when they checked into the hotel that afternoon, but the air felt heavy now, and she thought she could hear the rumbling of distant thunder.

‘The rainy season must be about to begin.’ She thought as she drifted into sleep.
Fan tai Fang by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! I'd like to think there are more people reading than there are reviewing, but I guess NaruHina just doesn't sell well anymore *shrugs*. But if you are still reading, whether you review or not, thank you! I hope you enjoy this chapter.
Rain was pouring down when they set off the next day. The roads were running with water, and the ditches filled fast as the hard-baked earth refused to absorb much of the rain that fell in the fields. Under the influence of Kiba’s threats, Sasuke had swallowed his pride and agreed to co-operate with them until they reached Konoha. He knew he was in no state to object if Kiba carried him over his shoulder as threatened, and that was no way for an Uchiha to travel. Instead he refused to show any weakness, and walked as fast as his still painful muscles would allow him. The other three followed him some metres behind, talking quietly amongst themselves. Sasuke made no effort to listen to them.

He was still resentful of them, and intended to take the first opportunity he got to repay them for the various offences they had caused him. But he couldn’t ignore the fact that they had saved him, and what Naruto had said about restoring the clan kept appearing in his mind, no matter how firmly he pushed the idea away.

“Damn it,” he muttered to himself. He hardly knew whether he was happy to have been saved or not. And if he was, he could hardly have chosen three people he would have liked less to be rescued by. Perhaps that other Hyuuga. He was the one Sasuke bore the heaviest grudge against, having deduced correctly that it must have been him who was responsible for his mutilation.

But it was true that despite his Sharingan having been permanently de-activated, the bloodline limit was still alive in him, and could be passed on. In fact, he was becoming increasingly aware that he was the only person who could keep the bloodline limit alive. But, he was still an avenger, and though his main target was gone, he now had at least five new, if less important, targets to punish before he could think about restoring the clan. But he could wait with these three. Orochimaru came first – and eliminating Orochimaru should gain him some trust in Konoha. Trust he would need to get away with setting up accidents for the others. But what was the best way to deal with Orochimaru? It would be hard for him to do anything personally in this condition – this would take planning, and probably considerable manipulation back in Konoha.





Kiba walked on Naruto’s left hand side, Akamaru slightly ahead of him and further to the left. His eyes were fixed on Sasuke’s back, trying to confirm some of the suspicions his sense of smell and Akamaru’s low growls were sending him about Sasuke’s changing moods. Akamaru was sensing new determination in the renegade ninja, replacing the anger and frustration that had been predominant ever since he regained consciousness, and Kiba was worried about what that meant. However, he didn’t want the others thinking he was paranoid, so until he actually saw a threatening move from the Uchiha he intended to keep his fears to himself. He couldn’t believe this actually meant Sasuke was accepting his fate – rather he expected an escape attempt, no matter how foolish that would be on Sasuke’s account. His eyes remained concentrated ahead as he turned his head slightly and spoke to the others.

“So, how far did you say we are from Konoha?”

“We can follow a more direct route now than Sasuke did before, but still about a week, Kiba-kun.”

Kiba groaned.

“A week of guarding this guy. Why did I have to come on this mission?”

“Sorry Kiba-kun.”

“You sound like Shikamaru! This is practically a week of paid vacation! Staying in inns, visiting hot springs – it reminds me of my training with Ero-sennin.”

“Huh. Don’t start taking it too easy, we’re still responsible for him. Orochimaru might come back for him.”

“Relax Kiba. Don’t you like hot springs?”

When Kiba’s only reply was a snort Hinata intervened:

“Naruto-kun, maybe Kiba-kun’s right, we should be careful.”

“Yeah, yeah, it’ll be fine! I’m not going to fail a mission.”

“Huh. That’ll make a change.”

“What?”

“Kiba-kun was just joking, Naruto-kun.”

Kiba shook his head slightly, keeping his eyes on Sasuke. ‘Naruto may have improved a little, but he’s still an idiot,’ he thought, smirking under his hood.

“So, are we going to take a break soon? This rain is getting annoying.”

“Umm, maybe we should go a little further, Kiba-kun.”

“Aww, why Hinata? What’s the rush?” chipped in Naruto.

‘It’s my duty to finish the mission as quickly as possible’ she thought. But on the other hand…

“Okay, we’ll stop to eat and dry off in the next inn we get too.”

“Hooray! Hey, hey, if they have a hot spring, let’s go in there! It’s nice when it’s raining.”

Hinata sighed.

“Okay, Naruto-kun.”

Kiba couldn’t help smiling with Naruto. Perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad.





Sasuke followed them into the inn. They had already called out to him to stop at two inns, but it seemed Naruto was looking for something more, and both times they had resumed their walk. The afternoon was wearing on by the time they entered this one, and Sasuke realised immediatedly the distinguishing quality of this inn from the slightly sulphurous scent that hung in the air.

“Sasuke! This way, we’re going to have a bath before we eat!”

“You don’t have to shout,” he muttered, but followed Naruto and Kiba’s footsteps and chakra auras down some steps and out onto a sheltered wooden veranda. He could hear running water, and the smell of sulphur was stronger here. His first instinct was to leave again and wait outside, but he didn’t think Kiba would let him out of his sight. And besides, he knew he could probably do with a wash. After undressing he began sensing out to try and locate the showers, but before he could move a gentle hand grasped his wrist firmly.

“Over here Sasuke.”

He shook his hand loose and grunted in annoyance, but followed the direction he had been given and found a stool to sit on as he washed away the matted blood and mud that Hinata had not had to clean to access his wounds. He heard Naruto and then Kiba get into the main pool, laughing and sighing in pleasure, but he himself remained sitting under the comforting stream of hot water from the shower until after they got out.





The rain had still not let up by the time they had washed and eaten, so Hinata agreed to let them stay in the inn overnight.

“But, we really should travel as far as possible tomorrow.”

“Sure, sure, Hinata!” Naruto always considered indefinite promises about the future better than taking unpleasant action in the present.

Sasuke was silent the entire evening, shunning the company of the others – to Kiba’s intense relief. And, he suspected, Hinata’s, though she was better at hiding it. In fact, Kiba didn’t think even Naruto was particularly anxious to spend time with the Uchiha. He hadn’t mentioned Sasuke at all since their conversation the night before, and apart from their brief contact in the baths had seemed to even be avoiding him.

However, when they moved up to the large room they had rented Naruto again made an effort to help Sasuke by finding him a futon and blanket and laying them out. He still didn’t say anything to Sasuke except ‘here you go’, but Kiba thought he understood Naruto’s actions. By helping Sasuke, Naruto was showing that he still regarded Sasuke as a friend, even if they weren’t on speaking terms.

Kiba had no such moral struggles in dealing with Sasuke; he was a captured enemy ninja, not to be trusted or spoken to beyond what was necessary. In fact he thought that Hinata was probably in the most difficult position. He knew that she hated Sasuke for what he had tried to do to Naruto more even than for what he had done to her towards that goal. But at the same time Sasuke was the one time best friend of Naruto, and his return to Konoha almost an obsession of Naruto’s. Observing her he suspected that she must be torn between wanting to finish Sasuke off right then to protect Naruto, and wanting him to be re-habilitated into Konoha.

‘What a bother that guy is’ he thought, but he spoke different words:

“My turn to keep guard first, eh?”

“Yes, Kiba-kun – if that’s okay?”

“It’s no problem.”

Naruto said nothing, but continued silently setting out futons. Judging from his blank expression, the reference in the word ‘guard’ had obviously had the same effect on him as actual contact with Sasuke. Kiba sat on his own futon facing the other side of the room as Naruto and Hinata lay down on almost touching futons nearby. Sasuke went to his futon against the other wall, but only sat cross-legged on it, facing and mirroring Kiba. Some time after the other’s breathing had slowed Sasuke was still sitting with his face angled directly towards Kiba.

“You gonna sleep soon, or what?”

Sasuke didn’t reply. But Kiba wasn’t so disgusted with the boy as to have lost his curiosity.

“So, you happy about being rescued?”

Silence.

“Because you’re not showing it if you are.”

Silence.

“Or maybe you thought we’d rescue you, nurse you back to health, and then let you go off where-ever you liked?”

“I don’t need nursing.”

“Oh, so you do talk.”

“Watch who you speak to like that. I’m an Uchiha.”

“Ha. And a fine specimen of an Uchiha at that.”

“You wait, soon you won’t be able to tell I can’t see. I’ll kill you, and you can’t do anything to me. Konoha needs me.”

“Wanna bet?”

Silence.

“You’re still the power-hungry bastard that abandoned his village and almost killed his best friend for his own selfish aims, aren’t you? I thought maybe you’d learned your lesson.”

“I don’t have to explain myself to you.”

“Then why are you answering at all?”

There was a short silence as Sasuke realised the truth of those words. Then he answered the previous statement:

“I did what I had to. And I didn’t kill Naruto in the end.”

“Not that time. But you would now, wouldn’t you?”

The silence seemed to stretch out this time, until finally:

“Yes.”

“You cold bastard. Naruto was never anything but kind to you.”

“I will kill all of you, I don’t care if you know it. But Naruto most of all. He’s the only person I was ever unable to finish off. My container, not that an Inuzuka would understand what that means.”

“It just means that you’re weak and think killing Naruto will change that.”

“The strength of an Inuzuka cannot be compared to mine.”

“I’d take you up on that challenge, but we need to deliver you alive. And besides, I wasn’t talking about physical strength.”

“You’re not my equal in intellect either.”

“Maybe not, but you’re still the weakest person of all of us. The only one who was weak enough to be seduced by promises of power, and what has it done for you? You could have gotten strong enough to beat Itachi in Konoha, Naruto did. You were just weak, you wanted an easy way out.”

“I’m not interested in your opinion.” Sasuke lay down, facing the wall.

“You should take Naruto’s advice. Maybe it’s not too late to return to your proper path.”

Sasuke didn’t answer for a long time, and Kiba turned his attention to Akamaru, keeping only half an eye on Sasuke’s quiet body. But Akamaru told him the boy wasn’t sleeping. And his scent was angry.

Very angry.
Indifference? by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Another chapter, and another long one! One of my longest in fact. I really like this chapter, let me know what you think. Am I including too much conversation? I like writing conversation, but any comments, good or bad, let me know! Thanks for reading.

Also, thank you to seizansha for pointing out that Hinata moving in seemed a bit sudden. You see, I knew when I wrote it that Neji let them share a room for a couple of nights on their way back to Konoha after they were reunited, so it seemed natural to me that Hinata would want to continue staying with Naruto. But I forgot to tell you guys that! I've edited that chapter now though, The chapter's 'Hyuuga Hiashi', if you're interested.
Hinata walked some paces behind Naruto and Kiba, who were themselves a little behind Sasuke. They were talking and laughing, but though snatches of their conversation drifted back to her, Hinata was too preoccupied with her own thoughts to join in.

They were only a short distance from Konoha now, but it had taken several days longer than it should have, and Hinata knew that her weak leadership was to blame – she didn’t even consider that her friends’ lack of discipline might be the primary reason for the delay. She had a feeling that ‘visiting hot springs’ would not be an acceptable excuse if the Hokage asked why it had taken so long.

But a concern that required considerably more thought had its roots in the conversation she had had with Sasuke that morning, while Naruto and Kiba took a final soak in a particularly luxurious hot spring. Knowing that they would reach Konoha today, she had broached a rather difficult subject as they ate a slow breakfast.

It had begun with her asking:

“Umm, Sasuke, I wanted… you remember that time?”

His face had turned to her direction, which was as much of an acceptance as Sasuke ever gave, so she had continued:

“I wanted to say that you – you shouldn’t blame Neji-nii-san.”

He had remained silent, but she thought his features had hardened a little.

“He only did it because we had to hurry to help Naruto, otherwise he wouldn’t, not if he had a choice.”

Sasuke’s face had turned away from her, and a curt “don’t waste my time” was his only response.

She had fallen silent after that, but his words still rang in her ears now.

Could Sasuke be trusted? He had promised to co-operate until they reached Konoha, but after that… Surely she didn’t need to worry about Neji-nii-san though, Sasuke was no match for him in his current condition. But if Sasuke still bore a grudge against Neji, he probably bore one against her, and perhaps the others too. Not that she was afraid for her own sake, or even for Naruto or Kiba. They wouldn’t have a problem dealing with Sasuke. But it didn’t bode well for her hopes of him rejoining Konoha society. And though she knew it was probably unnecessary, and didn’t want to prejudice him against Sasuke more than he already was, she would have to warn Neji.

“Don’t you think so, Hinata?” She realised that Naruto and Kiba had turned round as they walked, and were looking at her expectantly.

“Umm”, she answered noncommittally.

“See, she agrees too! You are an idiot.”

“What! That was a ‘no’ ‘umm’, Kiba.”

“Don’t kid yourself, we’ve all agreed. Haven’t we, Sasuke?”

Hinata looked past them at Sasuke, who showed no sign of having heard them. Or – was that a slight nod? She looked back to the others. Neither of them had noticed, Kiba having returned his attention to Naruto, who had looked away in silence at the mention of Sasuke. But Akamaru sensed her confusion, and as she looked the question at him the dog returned her gaze with a quiet ‘yes’ bark. So it hadn’t just been her imagination. Sasuke wasn’t as indifferent as he pretended.

Just then her vision was obscured as Kiba punched Naruto out of his revery, having failed to attract his attention with words. Naruto’s expression snapped back to normal and he launched himself at Kiba, shouting enthusiastically. Akamaru intercepted him, and Kiba landed another punch on the same shoulder, slightly harder this time. Kiba laughed as Naruto fell backwards, and Hinata stepped forward to get between them. As she stepped forward though, her eyes went up to Sasuke. And to her amazement she saw that his face was turned very slightly backwards - he had been following the scuffle too! He felt her gaze and broke contact immediatedly, but she still stopped in surprise. He really did seem interested in their behaviour, whatever he said – or didn’t say.

Collecting herself, she looked back to the others, who thankfully had stopped fighting. Kiba was helping Naruto up as Akamaru barked excitedly and jumped round them. Hinata couldn’t help smiling behind her hand, though she did hope it wouldn’t happen any closer to Konoha. A fine team leader she would look like then!

As they continued along the road she joined the others in their banter, distracted temporarily from her worries. But her eyes kept straying to the back of Sasuke’s head, wondering exactly how much attention he was paying to them.





“We’re back!”

A few hundred metres down the road rose the huge walls and gate of Konoha, and Naruto was almost bouncing in excitement. Kiba was somewhat less excited.

“Calm down, it’s no different than it was two weeks ago.”

“Isn’t it going to be good to get home, Hinata!” - a rush of warmth went through Hinata as she remembered where and with who her home was now - “Let’s all go to Ichiraku’s right now!”

“Were you born stupid, Naruto?”

“Naruto-kun, we should take Sasuke to the Hokage first.”

“Hmm. But straight after though!”

Hinata sighed happily at his energy. She noticed that he didn’t seem to be affected so much now by even a direct reference to Sasuke’s position. Perhaps, despite his carefree attitude over the last few days, he hadn’t really been able to relax about the mission until now. Or perhaps he was beginning to accept that it might be a long time before Sasuke was one of them again.

Either way, she knew that her Naruto, who had begun returning when the mission began, was now properly back.





When they entered the Hokage’s office, Tsunade asked them to wait a little before giving their report. After a few minutes two ANBU members arrived and escorted Sasuke away, and when he was safely out of earshot Hinata was invited to give her report. Naruto tried to contribute a few times, but Tsunade wouldn’t let him. He was a little distracted wondering what was happening to Sasuke at that moment, but the thought of inbound ramen soon dominated his mind. He didn’t pay much attention to whatever the Hokage was saying, and it came as a small surprise when he saw Hinata bowing and Kiba turning to leave. He grinned and waved.

“Later, Tsunade-oba-chan!”

Out in the corridor Hinata turned to them and sighed in relief.

“She didn’t ask why it took so long!”

“Huh?” Naruto felt he’d missed something here.

“Is that what you’ve been worrying about?” Kiba laughed. “You did fine as leader, there was nothing for her to ask about.”

“Yep! You’re the best, Hinata!” Now Naruto understood what was going on. The blush that was forming on her cheeks made something in his stomach leap, and he felt his hand reach out automatically to touch her arm as he looked at her. It was as if just looking at her wasn’t enough, he wanted to feel her blush, her gentle breathing and the pulse of her blood under her delicate skin. He saw her blush deepen as she felt his touch, but he was distracted by Kiba obliviously continuing to talk:

“And anyway, thanks to this idiot we covered about three days distance in one when we were following Sasuke.”

“I’m not an idiot!”

“Yeah, yeah. Enjoy your ramen anyway, I’d better go tell my family I’m back.”

“Bye, Kiba-kun. Thank you!”

“Tell your family?”

Kiba rolled his eyes, and this time Naruto didn’t think the gesture was aimed at him.

“See you Hinata, Naruto.”

“See you!” shouted Naruto after Kiba’s returning back, and he heard a bark from Akamaru in response. Turning to Hinata he asked:

“Why does he have to go home straight away?” To his surprise, Hinata giggled a little.

“Don’t laugh at him, okay Naruto-kun?”

Naruto leant in conspiratorially and looked around. “I promise!”

“I think Kiba-kun’s mother keeps a very tight control over them. He’d be in trouble if he didn’t go and report to her right after the Hokage.”

Naruto guffawed, then laughed openly.

“So that’s why he acts so bossy!”





Several metres under their feet, Sasuke was standing in the middle of a room lit only by a single pale electric light. The two ANBU members that had brought him down here stood by the door, and Morino Ibiki sat on a narrow chair facing Sasuke, his gaze fixed on the boy’s now milky eyes. After what felt like an eternity to Sasuke, his interrogator spoke:

“Your name is Sasuke.”

Sasuke felt a very small stab of anger. “Uchiha Sasuke,” he corrected.

“We’ll see.”

‘We’ll see?’ What was that supposed to mean? He thought perhaps he recognised the voice, but he couldn’t quite remember where from - after all, he had always relied on his sight. Whoever it was, Sasuke felt uncomfortable under the man’s gaze.

“Look, this isn’t necessary. If you’ve done any research you’ll know that I’m as opposed to Orochimaru as you are. I’ll co-operate without interrogation, I even have some plans for attacking him…”

“Quiet!” Sasuke fell silent at this interruption, and the man continued:

“You’re opposed to Orochimaru? You have some plans? Even if I believed you, I wouldn’t give a shit!”

Sasuke hid his surprise. Whoever this was, they weren’t going to let him have things his way. He heard the man tell the ANBU guards to leave the room, and felt a twinge of fear. But surely the man wouldn’t resort to violence, would he? Sasuke was the Uchiha, they couldn’t treat him too harshly. He caught the name one of the guards spoke as they left the room: Morino-san. Morino Ibiki? So he was up against the best Konoha had. This might be difficult. He spoke up again:

“Konoha needs me, right? And I’ll be honest with you, I need Konoha. I want to go back upstairs and do this properly, over a table.”

“Silence! You’re lucky I have a policy of not hitting weaklings. And trust me, you do not want to get a table involved in this.”

Weaklings? That hurt more than any blow would have. But perhaps it was good that they were underestimating him. He controlled his anger and waited for Morino to make the next move.

“You seem to misunderstand your position. I’m not interested in what information you have.”

Not interested in his information? Then what was the purpose of all this? He sensed that the man was about to speak and concentrated hard – but he was totally unprepared for the question he heard:

“What are your feelings towards the one who did that to your eyes?”

Had he hidden his anger? He couldn’t tell, perhaps a little had shown itself, just for an instant. So that was what this was about. Checking if he was safe or not. He had to make them believe he was!

“I was angry about it, but I understand why he did it.”

“I see.”

‘I see?’ Sasuke’s brain was working double time, trying to simultaneously prepare answers and interpret the questions and comments of his interrogator.

“And now that you understand, you don’t want to kill him?”

Kill him? Yes, yes, he did! But this Morino couldn’t know that. He was just guessing – wasn’t he?

“I… I don’t.”

“And the others? That Naruto kid?”

No, no! How could this man second-guess him like that? Sasuke was afraid that he wasn’t managing to hide all his reactions now. But how much was he giving away? Not too much, he hoped. He tried to keep his voice even, but couldn’t help a small tremor at the end of his answer.

“Naruto saved me. Why would I want to kill him?”

“You tell me.”

Sasuke remained silent. The man was just guessing; he couldn’t really suspect Sasuke of any of this. He had to keep calm! They had no proof of any of this. He could still win their trust.

“So now I’m being mean to you.” He felt the large man approach and lean close to whisper. “Do you want to kill me too?”

This was just humiliating! How was he being read so easily? Sasuke tried to turn away from the face that he knew must be just in front of him. He couldn’t even maintain his previous calm as he stuttered:

“Of – of course not.”

So much for being an aloof Uchiha. Damn it! And to think he’d initially seen this conversation as an opportunity. He heard Morino move away and couldn’t help breathing a sigh of relief.

“I’ve learnt all I need to. Wait here – you may sit.”

That was it? But… he hadn’t even had a chance to support his case! Had he hidden his emotions enough? He had a bad feeling about the interrogation ending already. Surely he hadn’t been that transparent?

The door closed behind him. He made his way over to the hard chair and collapsed onto it.
Believe in You by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Yep, another chapter, hope you like it! I don't have much to say now except thank you for the reviews, they really make my day.
“Naruto.”

What?

“Naruto.”

Naruto struggled awake, blinking at the strong morning light. He got a little shock as he looked outside; there was an ANBU member standing through the open door on his small balcony. At least, the mask was that of an ANBU member, but the long sleeved green coat and black trousers looked vaguely familiar.

“Naruto.”

Naruto yawned, his eyes still struggling to open fully. He sat up, taking care not to disturb Hinata on his other side.

“Yes, yes. I’m awake.”

“Please come to the Hokage’s office as soon as possible.”

“The Hokage’s…?” But the messenger was already gone. Now that he thought about it, there was something familiar about the voice of the ANBU member too. But he didn’t put too much thought into the mystery. He got up as quietly as possible and began to dress. However, by the time he had pulled on a t-shirt, he realised that Hinata was also up and dressing.

“Oh, sorry Hinata. I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“That’s okay, Naruto-kun. You didn’t anyway, I’ve been awake since Shino came.”

“What? When was that? What was he doing here?”

Hinata smiled.

“He was delivering a message.”

This was a mystery, but it would have to wait. “Well, I have to go the Hokage’s tower, I’ll see you later!” He walked over to his jacket.

“Wait, Naruto, you have to eat something first. Hold on just a minute and I’ll make something.”

“Uh, okay Hinata. Thank you!”

A quick breakfast later, Naruto pulled on his jacket and walked to the door.

“I’ll be back as soon as possible! See you later, Hinata.”

“Okay Naruto-kun. I’m going to find Kiba and start training. We’ll be at the tenth training ground if you want to join us later.”

“Thanks!”

He ran down the corridor and out into the streets. It wasn’t long before he was opening the door to Tsunade’s office and walking in.

“Naruto, are you ever going to learn to knock?”

He laughed uneasily. The Hokage looked very serious. The ANBU member from before was standing to one side.

“Sorry, Tsunade-oba-chan.” For some reason her eye seemed to twitch, and she looked down for a moment and took a deep breath before addressing him again.

“Naruto, I am going to remove you from the mission roster temporarily.”

“Eh?”

“I want you to know that Uchiha Sasuke was imprisoned last night after interrogation by Morino Ibiki. Morino has identified him as too great a risk to the citizens of Konoha to release him at present.”

She paused briefly, looking at Naruto expectantly. However, her expression changed to surprise when his only reaction was to look down and say quietly:

“I thought so.”

“Good. Then you’ll understand the need for very careful treatment of Sasuke. According to Morino he is resentful, quick to anger, and holds a number of grudges, including one against you. For those reasons I have also temporarily pulled Aburame Shino out of his ANBU training to guard Sasuke.” She indicated the man standing to one side.

“Sh-Shino? Hey, Hinata said she saw you at my appartment this morning!”

“Shino has displayed great professionalism in his missions so far. He is also acquainted with Sasuke. I believe he is the perfect jailer for Sasuke – he is very unlikely to incur the boy’s anger, and will not let his own feelings get in the way. However, according to Morino, Sasuke is not the type to forgive and forget after time in captivity. The opposite, in fact.”

Naruto concentrated on the Hokage. Something in her tone told him that the reason why he was there was about to be revealed.

“Of course, while you are free from doing missions, you can spend your time how you like. I suggest you spend some of it at least training. There are still Akatsuki members out there, which is another reason for keeping you in the Village. If I thought it could be avoided I wouldn’t even have let you take that last mission. But apart from training, I am giving you, and you alone, authority to visit Sasuke in jail whenever you like.”

Naruto’s eyes opened wide. What did this mean?

“How often you visit is up to you, if you choose to visit at all. This isn’t a mission. But we believe that contact with you could help Sasuke become truly attached to the Village again. You heard Hinata tell me yesterday that he showed some benign interest in you three towards the end of the mission. It seems to me that our only hope is that that interest will grow through contact with you.”

Naruto hadn’t heard Hinata say anything of the sort. But then again, he hadn’t been paying a huge amount of attention.

“So you just want me to visit him?”

“Visit him, maybe bring him things, tell him about what’s happening out in the Village. Make him curious about the others, make him want to experience life in Konoha for himself. You can guess that he will be reluctant, and will act as if he is uninterested, even if he is. Can you do it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Don’t try too hard, it will take time. But, Naruto, I believe you can do it. Go with Shino now and he’ll show you where Sasuke is being held and get you an access pass.”

“Okay.” Naruto swallowed. He felt like a lot of responsibility had been placed on him, but he felt happy too. He had been afraid that Sasuke would be judged a lost cause, but now there was actually something he could do to help.

‘I can do this! Sasuke, I’m not giving up on you yet!’





Hinata met Kiba and Akamaru on the road outside his clan complex.

“I thought you might be on your way here. Where’s Naruto?”

“He had to go and see the Hokage.”

“Probably about Sasuke.”

“Yes.”

“Oh well, we going to train then?”

“Mm.” Hinata nodded and they set off towards the tenth training ground together, Akamaru padding alongside. As they approached the wooded area Hinata remembered something.

“Was your family okay?”

Kiba grimaced.

“You know how the Hokage didn’t ask why it took so long? My mum did. She told me I was leading you two astray and that I should be ashamed of myself.”

“Sorry, Kiba-kun.” But she had to struggle to hide a smile. She knew it was always like that for Kiba when he got home: anything he could have done better, he was in trouble for. And she knew he was so used to it that he didn’t particularly mind either.

“I tried to tell her it was Naruto’s fault, but she wouldn’t listen. Tchuh!”

After a few minutes more they arrived in the opening they had always used for training. Before they began Hinata spoke up again.

“I saw Shino this morning. He came to get Naruto.”

“He’s joining ANBU now, right?”

“Yes. I didn’t talk to him, but… I think he’ll be a good ANBU member.”

“Yeah. All that ‘no emotions’ rubbish. I’m never going into ANBU.”

“Me neither.”

“I guess we won’t get many more missions with Shino then.”

“No.”

“That’s kind of sad, even if he was an anti-social bastard. But maybe he’ll quit ANBU one day and rejoin the team. So what kind of training do you want to do first?”

“Maybe we could warm up with some ‘all-techniques allowed’ sparring?”

“Hah. Does that mean you’re going to try and pull some genjutsu move on me?”

But Hinata was already rippling and disappearing from his sight.





The afternoon was drawing to a close, and still Naruto had not appeared. Hinata was wondering what the Hokage had wanted him for that could take so long, when Kiba suddenly dispelled the shadow replication he had been practising. She looked around, and there, at last, was Naruto.

“Oi, what took you so long?”

Naruto ignored Kiba and walked past to Hinata.

“Sorry, I didn’t feel like training today.”

“Is everything okay, Naruto-kun?”

“Yes, better than I thought.”

Kiba came to stand by them too. “So what’s happening with Sasuke?” he asked.

“He’s in a cell behind the Hokage tower. They think he’s dangerous, so he’s going to be there for a while.”

“Well it’s true, he is dangerous.”

Hinata nodded. “Mm.”

“Yes. Anyway, they want me to go and talk to him sometimes and try and make him normal again.”

“Hmm.”

Hinata slid her arm round Naruto’s. He didn’t seem unhappy – the opposite in fact, but she hadn’t often seen him so serious.

“I’m sure it will be fine in the end,” she whispered to him. “He will come back.”

“Yeah. It’s funny though, until we actually found him, I always thought that would be the hard bit. Physically bringing him back. But that was easy. It’s making him feel like a part of Konoha that’s going to be the problem.”

“Well, as long as he’s locked up for the moment, I don’t care,” contributed Kiba. “You wanna train with us now?”

“No thanks Kiba, not today. D’you want to finish early? It’s been a really long time since I saw some of the guys, shall we get as many people as possible and go out somewhere?”

“Uh, sure, if you’re up for it Hinata?” Hinata nodded and smiled. “You want me to go round everyone who’s here and tell them to come to your place? We can meet there at least.”

“Thanks Kiba. But… if they don’t know, please don’t tell them that Sasuke’s back. We should keep that last mission a secret.”

“Alright. See you later!”

Hinata walked slowly back through Konoha with Naruto, still holding his arm.
Underground by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Sorry that this one took a little longer than the last ones have, I've been much busier than I expected. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

Special thanks this time to Milliexchan for the mention in Ode to an Author, and to Hibiki96 for the Sakura suggestion. I said I'd already considered Sakura, and I lied not, but your suggestion has made me put much more thought into her, as you will see in the next chapter. Thank you very much to both of you, and to anyone else still reading this fic!
“Uzumaki Naruto; I’ve come to see Uchiha Sasuke.”

“Your pass?”

“Here.”

“Okay. You know where his cell is? There should be someone with him who can let you in.”

“Thanks!”

A heavy door slammed behind him as Naruto made his way down a concrete tunnel past several smaller corridors and a number of rather imposing metal doors. Despite the depth under ground, the air was fresh, and the corridor dry and clean. Not at all like he had imagined the cells would be before he first came down the day before. He stopped outside a door marked ‘14’ and knocked, holding his breath. Shino had shown him the door, but he had not actually seen Sasuke since the Hokage’s office two days before.

The door swung open slowly, revealing a short passageway lined on the right hand side with metal bars. Shino stood directly in front of him, eyes inscrutable behind his glasses. He had discarded his ANBU mask, presumably from the moment he was pulled out of ANBU training. Behind the bars to his right, a small room contained only a bed, a table and chair, and a washbasin beside a curtained off area in the far corner. On the washbasin stood a plastic cup and a toothbrush, but the other surfaces were bare. Sasuke was lying on a neatly made up bed, apparently staring at the ceiling.

‘But of course, it doesn’t make a difference where he looks any more.’

Naruto cleared his throat.

“Uhh, hi Sasuke.”

“The Hokage said you have the option of speaking to him alone. Would that be preferable?”

“Yeah, I guess. Thanks, Shino.”

Shino left in silence, and there was a grating noise as the door scraped shut behind him. Naruto stood staring awkwardly around the cell for a little before he noticed a chair in the centre of the passageway. He moved to it and sat down, looking properly at Sasuke for the first time.

“So… you comfortable here?”

Sasuke didn’t reply.

“Stupid question I guess. But, I mean, you’re getting food and stuff, right? Do you want anything else, like a book or…” Naruto stopped as he realised what he had just said. A book? You idiot, he doesn’t need books any more! He’ll think you’re just rubbing it in.

“Uh, sorry, I mean…”

“It’s fine. Even I forget sometimes. I wake up and wonder why it’s so dark, and I think my eyes must be stuck or something. Then I remember.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh. You should be glad.”

Naruto didn’t think he wanted to know what exactly that meant, but at least Sasuke had spoken to him.

“So, have you talked to Shino at all?”

“I don’t know why you’re here, Naruto, but if all you’re going to do is ask stupid questions then you can leave again.”

“What? You’re much worse company than I am!”

Sasuke didn’t answer, but continued to lie motionless on his back. After some minutes of silence Naruto began to talk again:

“I met up with everyone last night. You remember them; Shikamaru, Chouji, Ino and Sakura. And Hinata and Kiba of course – Ne… uh, Lee’s team were on a mission. I hadn’t seen some of them since before I had to leave with Itachi. So anyway, they came to my appartment, and it was kind of fun. Just between you and me, I think Kiba was trying to chat up Ino, but she kept looking at Shikamaru. That’s what Sakura said anyway, I don’t really notice things like that. Shikamaru wasn’t really paying much attention to anyone, he’s so lazy! Chouji ate most of my food while I was in the other room, but he said he’d buy some more today. As long as he doesn’t eat… Hey, are you listening?”

“No. Go away.”

“That’s good, if you’d started caring about any of that I’d know there was something wrong with you! Anyway, none of them know you’re back, it would only be trouble if Sakura and Ino started trying to sneak down here. ANBU wouldn’t be happy, and I bet you wouldn’t either!”

Sasuke still appeared utterly uninterested in Naruto’s babbling. In fact, for all Naruto could tell, the boy could have been asleep.

“Hey, do your eyes close when you go to sleep? I mean, it doesn’t really make a difference now, does it? Can you even tell when they’re open and when they’re closed? Heh, sorry, want to talk about something else?”

“No.”

“So do you want some clothes or something from your old appartment? Do you have a key or anything? Hey, hey! Can we use it for parties since you don’t need it at the moment? It must be pretty big.”

“No!” For the first time a little emotion entered Sasuke’s voice, panic, to be precise.

“Fine, fine, just asking! But, we’ll clean it up good and everything, it probably needs some people to use it, standing alone all that time.”

“It will be fine. If they ever let me out I don’t want to find that my place has been trashed by you lot.”

Naruto lapsed into a disappointed silence. It didn’t last long though.

“Hey, have you seen my new moves? I don’t think I can show you in here, Shino would get mad, but you know my Rasengan – hey, listen! This is really cool!”





Hinata and Kiba sat on a bench a little away from the others who were crowded around a food stall. Akamaru lay at Kiba’s feet. Inspired by the previous evening, all the young ninjas had agreed to meet for lunch the next day, and Hinata and Kiba had interrupted their training to join the others. The only person missing from the previous evening was Naruto, but no-one else seemed to have noticed.

“He’s Underground now, isn’t he Hinata?”

‘Underground’ had become their private code word for ‘visiting Sasuke’. Not intentionally, but Hinata had used it earlier and it had stuck.

“I think so. He doesn’t have any missions, so if he’s not here…”

“Knowing him, he could have just forgotten.”

“Umm, I think he’s… uh!”

Hinata stopped mid-sentence; Sakura had left the others and was carrying her meal over to join them.

“Can I sit with you?”

“Of course, Sakura.”

“Sure.” Kiba moved up the bench, making space for Sakura between them. He exchanged glances with Hinata as Sakura stepped over Akamaru and unpacked her food onto the little bit of bench left beside her. They waited in silence as she began to eat, then she stopped and looked from one to the other of them.

“Do you know where Naruto is?”

Hinata’s mouth opened, but she only shook her head haltingly. Kiba shrugged. After all, they didn’t really know where he was, not exactly anyway. Sakura turned back to her food.

“I thought he’d be here. Haven’t seen him much recently.”

“Well, we were on that mission with him for a while.” Hinata shot a warning glance at Kiba as he said that, and he shot one back. Luckily Sakura didn’t seem to notice.

“No one ever told me what that mission was about.”

“Umm, I think it was a secret,” excused Hinata weakly.

“Oh. Well, he hasn’t gone on a mission today, I had to check the gate record for Tsunade.”

“He probably just forgot! I bet he’s training somewhere,” offered Kiba, but his voice sounded hollow to him and Hinata. Sakura seemed concentrated on her lunch though, and they exchanged another worried glance past her. Concentrated on her lunch or not, Sakura was asking all the wrong questions for them. Both felt relief when she looked up brightly and replied:

“You’re probably right! Well, make sure he comes tomorrow, okay? Tell him we want to see him!”

“Yes!” Hinata nodded happily to have escaped this time, but Sakura ensured that Kiba’s relief was shortlived.

“Hey, Kiba, is something different about Ino today? ‘Cause the way you keep staring at her…”

“What! I’m not!” Kiba jumped up, his face flushed. "I'm going to get some food." He walked towards the food stall, trying to ignore the giggling that broke out behind him.





Some hours later, Shino was locking the cell door after Naruto. He hadn’t expected the boy to visit for so long; Sasuke was hardly good company, even by Shino’s standards. But, at least his own day hadn’t been a waste. Out in the corridor he had been able to work on perfecting his control of his kikaichu bugs. They still didn’t always understand every part of his more complex orders, but he was improving every day.

He turned to look at the prisoner, who was still lying on his back in the same position Shino had last seen him. His bugs had detected nothing suspicious in the room, so he moved to stand by the wall near the door. Once Sasuke had eaten in a few hours, Shino would be able to leave him for the night. Technically he didn’t have to spend as much time in the cell as he had been doing, but he liked to do a job properly.

And he had always considered patience an essential part of being a ninja.
Silence by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Again, sorry... but I will finish this story, no matter how long it takes me. I really like this new Tonfa system! I'm not getting any new reviews, but I can see that loads of people are reading my stories, and that's what matters! Not that reviews aren't appreciated... anyway, in some senses it's the high read count which has prompted me to actually finish this latest chapter. It's not a great one, but I hope you enjoy it. Things are going to liven up soon... though that might take a while! I'm actually at uni now, so not much time.
Sakura lay on her bed fully dressed, her fingers toying absent-mindedly with her favourite kunai as she stared blankly at the ceiling. Something was going on, she was sure of it, but she couldn’t think what it could be.

Naruto had come to lunch the next day, and in the evening the day after when the group next met up. However, he had been absent again today at lunch, and nobody had been able to give her an explanation, not even Hinata. And she couldn’t believe that Hinata didn’t know what Naruto was up to.

Then there was the missions roster. Sakura had looked, and Naruto’s name had been labelled over, as if he was unavailable for missions. And she hadn’t found any record of him going in or out of the Village either. She could think of a number of reasons for both those anomalies, she knew some of his secrets, after all. And it seemed like a good idea to her if the Hokage was protecting him from Akatsuki by keeping him in the Village; Naruto always had been reckless.

But whether his actions were explicable or not, his behaviour certainly wasn’t. Naruto had never been one to avoid social gatherings, or to be quiet when he was in attendance. He was usually the centre of attention, wherever he was, but these last days she had been surprised to see that he tended to stand on the edge of the group, participating only a little in the conversation. It was almost as if he was observing them, though that was ridiculous - Naruto was practically the definition of obtuse.

And when she spoke to him he was his old self most of the time, but he avoided her eyes and stumbled a lot when particular topics came up. Especially, she had noticed, any talk about the ‘old days’.

She couldn’t remember him being such good friends with Kiba either, but none of her attempts to investigate through Kiba or Hinata had born fruit, though they were almost as bad as Naruto at keeping secrets. She was certain they knew what was going on, but she hadn’t risked a direct question yet. She thought it probably had something to do with their last mission though, which was also still a secret from her. Even Tsunade had pretended to have forgotten what the mission was when Sakura had tried to ask her, but Sakura could tell when her teacher was - not lying perhaps, but avoiding the truth. Had something happened to Naruto on that mission? Did it have something to do with Akatsuki? That seemed the most likely explanation to her: that he had been in some serious danger and was now recovering, perhaps receiving treatment secretly during the day. And that leaving the Village was too dangerous in case the same thing happened.

She was somewhat satisfied with that explanation, but she wished the others would let her in on the secret. She was on his team, even if they hadn’t had any missions together for a long time. And if he was ill, perhaps she could help! She had been making discoveries in some areas that even Tsunade hadn’t managed. And even if his injury wasn’t related to her areas of expertise, she still wanted to have a go.

Sighing, she replaced her kunai in her weapons holster and sat up. Her lunch break was over, and she had to report back to the Hokage tower to work, or perhaps receive some training if Tsunade had time.

She checked that her gloves were in a pocket and left the building, walking through the busy streets towards the Hokage tower. It was just an ordinary day in Konoha; a number of stalls selling food to shoppers and travellers, the faint clang of blacksmiths rang out from the workshops some streets to the east, and she could heard the Academy students playing in the school yard behind her. It was sunny, and she shaded her eyes as she entered the open square in front of the vast building she was heading for.

Then, as she crossed the square, something caught her attention. And only one person dressed in that particular shade of bright orange; Naruto was coming round the side of the tower. He looked somewhat furtive, and before she could call out to him he disappeared into a side street, probably returning to his appartment.

The only place he could have come from was the ANBU Headquarters. Sakura had never been inside the low, grey building that was built around the back of the tower, it was strictly off-limits to normal ninja, and she thought even jounins and regular ANBU members needed permission to enter. Besides, she’d never had any reason to try and enter.

Was Naruto entering ANBU? No, that didn’t make sense, that wouldn’t be kept a secret, especially not by Naruto. He would have shouted the news to the whole of Konoha. She thought there were some high security cells in there, and – that must be it! There was a rumour that there were secret laboratories underground, including the rooms Orochimaru had used, and that their entrance was through the ANBU building. If Naruto was ill, that must be why she hadn’t heard that he’d been in the hospital! But it must be something very serious to be kept so secret. And she didn’t think Tsunade had changed her schedule, so who was treating him?

She shook her head and entered the tower; she was getting late, and there would be time later to think about it. Perhaps she could try and find some more out about the building from the Hokage. At least Naruto seemed to be healthy now.





Naruto eased himself onto one of the high stools in Ichiraku’s ramen shop.

“Miso ramen, please”, he said, grinning. He wanted an easy meal after his latest ordeal with Sasuke. He had never thought just talking could be so tiring!

Sasuke was still being as uncooperative as ever, speaking only occasionally, and showing no interest in Naruto’s tales. Well, occasionally he would interrupt Naruto when the facts in his stories clashed or didn’t make sense.

Nit-picking, Naruto called it. Stories were about enjoyment, not the truth! Trust Sasuke to take all the fun out it, he should just take down a textbook the next day, and read from that! He took a long appreciative slurp of his ramen, his grin widening.

“Delicious”, he declared to the world at large.





“Okay Shino, let’s hear your report.”

“Yes, Hokage-sama. Secure cell number fourteen, the second week of the seventh month, tenth day of occupation by B Class prisoner Uchiha Sasuke.”

“I wonder if Sasuke knows he’s only B Class - maybe we should get Naru…”

“Tsunade-sama!”

Tsunade sighed at Shizune’s expression. “Alright, alright, continue the report.”

“Yes, Hokage-sama.” Shino was standing very upright in front of Tsunade’s desk, reciting from his head. Tsunade wondered idly if his perfect report had something to do with his bugs. Could they store information like that? Perhaps she should try and beg some of the insects off the Aburame Clan to examine. Or, even better, she could get Sakura to do it. Especially the asking bit – that would be good training for her.

Tsunade heard Shizune breath in sharply and knew her lack of attention had been spotted. Now, if she had already looked at those bugs she might have had a jutsu to store information without listening to it – that would be perfect. Sighing again, Tsunade dragged her attention back to the young ninja in front of her. Shino’s face -the visible parts - were as emotionless as ever. She wondered if he had noticed her lack of attention.

“…accepts food three times a day, with no recorded exceptions…”

No recorded exceptions… with Shino that meant no exceptions.

“…between four and six glasses of water, except for day four and day five, when he drank three and nine glasses respectively…”

Perhaps she shouldn’t have requested the most detailed grade of report – but this was important, very important.

“…psychological state of the prisoner…”

Finally!

“…stable.”

“What?”

Tsunade’s mouth opened. Was that all she could expect after all that rubbish? Her brows twitched in irritation, but luckily Shizune cut in before her:

“Perhaps you could elaborate a little on Sasuke’s behaviour, Shino?”

“Yes.”

There was a brief pause as Tsunade’s irritation built up, but Shizune cut in again to prompt Shino:

“What does Sasuke do all day? Does he say anything? Does he display emotions of any kind?”

“Understood. Uchiha Sasuke spends the greater part of the day lying on his bed, facing upwards. He says nothing. He shows slight irritation when Uzumaki Naruto enters. I am not aware that there is any significant change in this behaviour when Uzumaki Naruto is alone with him. He does not appear to change position between evening and morning.”

Tsunade sighed. In other words, no real improvement from the first few days.

“Okay Shino, thank you. Good work.”

“Yes, Tsunade-sama.”

Shino turned and left the office, bowing as he shut the door behind him. Tsunade sat back in her chair.

“Shizune, perhaps it’s time to try a different approach.”
The Right Thing by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Well, it's been a while... But I said I'd finish it, and I will. Have been studying all year, and the total lack of reviews on my last chapter killed what motivation I might have been able to gather if I had had time. I've always been pretty relaxed about reviews, but 1500 hits on the story since August and no reviews? 150 on the last chapter, but not even a rating. I wish I could get the motivation up easily to write anyway, but I need to hear something back. So please review!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, if anyone is still around from last summer. Would be great to see some new readers too!

-niveaus
“Hi Naruto!”

“Sakura-chan! Want some ramen?”

“Umm, okay then. Thanks!”

Sakura had found Tsunade’s office firmly locked with a ‘strictly no entry’ sign on the door, and on the desk in the small office she shared with Shizune was a hastily scrawled note from Shizune telling her to take an extra hour free. This was unusual but not unheard of, and since she hadn’t actually eaten anything during her break she had gone to catch up with Naruto. He turned out to still be in Ichiraku’s, staring contentedly at the empty bowl in front of him.

“Working hard, Naruto? You don’t normally eat out this much.”

“Oh, it’s being with Sasuke, it’s so tiring! Just talking and talking, and never getting anything back.”

Luckily Sakura’s ramen arrived at that moment, and Naruto was distracted enough finding her a pair of chopsticks and looking enviously at her bowl not to notice Sakura almost fall off her chair. Sakura could feel the blood draining from her face, but tried to control her voice.

“Ye... yeah, it must be tough.”

“You have no idea - Sakura, are you okay?”

“Naruto, tell me you’re joking. Sasuke’s not really here is he?”

She saw Naruto’s eyes widen as he realised he had given the secret away, and knew it was true.

“Oh shi...”

And then she punched him firmly in the face, hurling him off his chair and out into the street. Ramen forgotten, she followed him out and hauled him to his feet.

“How could you? How could you not tell me?” She punched him again, and he flew down the street.

“Sakura, I’m sorry!”

“I knew it. I knew something was happening. But I never thought...” Sakura was shocked to find that tears were starting to run down her cheeks as she stood over Naruto’s dusty body. However, to say that they were starting to attract attention from their fellow citizens would be a fairly severe understatement, so she controlled herself as she turned away.

“Meet me at the training ground in five minutes. You know which one.”

And was gone.




Kiba and Hinata were alternating between ground and trees as they ran some distance outside Konoha, doing endurance training. At least, that was how Kiba had recommended it, but Hinata suspected that this was just the way Kiba always walked Akamaru. They stopped at a small stream for a drink and a break.

“Good to be out here, huh Hinata?”

“Yes Kiba-kun. It’s a beautiful day.”

There was a pause as they admired their surroundings. Then Hinata spoke up:

“Naruto says Sasuke’s just the same.”

Kiba looked at her, then shook his head and scowled.

“Hinata, I’m sorry, but I don’t really care. I know it’s important to Naruto, and to you too, but I never liked the guy. If he wants he can stay rotting down there forever. I think Naruto’s wasting his time, but I’m not gonna tell him that.”

“Kiba-kun...”

“He should forget about Sasuke and get on with his life, that’s what I reckon.”

“He can’t Kiba-kun. After all this time, and everything that happened between them - Naruto can’t just abandon him. You wouldn’t, I know you wouldn’t.”

Akamaru growled pointedly and Kiba conceded the point.

“No. If it was you down there I guess I’d be doing the exact same thing. Doesn’t mean it would be right though.”

“That doesn’t matter. What’s right and what you know you have to do aren’t always the same.”

They both knew she was thinking not just of Naruto and Sasuke, but also of the break she had made with her family. The weeks since then had been busy, but Kiba knew it still hurt her a lot, especially not being able to see her sister.

“I guess.” He was distracted by Akamaru sniffing at the air. “Better enjoy the weather while you can - Akamaru says it’s gonna rain pretty soon. And not a small amount either.”

“Can we get back to Konoha before it starts?”

“Gonna be close.” Kiba grinned in anticipation of the race, and Hinata smiled back. “Let’s go Akamaru!”




Naruto picked himself up and looked down at his dusty clothes. He was so stupid. So careless! Just talking about Sasuke like that - and to Sakura of all people. He prodded his face carefully and hoped she wouldn’t hit him again, then set off for the old training ground where Team Seven had begun their time as ninja. When he got there it was empty, and he walked over to the three great posts standing at one end. The sun was still shining, but the air felt slightly colder and the wind seemed to have picked up. A minute later Sakura arrived.

“Uh, hi Sakura.” he began weakly, looking at her nervously. To his relief she seemed to have calmed down.

“So that mission you went on - the one nobody would talk about.”

“Yeah. We went to rescue Sasuke.”

“To rescue him?”

Naruto sighed. He would have to start from the beginning.

“Well, I don’t know how much Tsunade told you...” He looked up. Some heavy clouds were beginning to appear over the treetops.

“You know when I was kidnapped? Well, that was Sasuke’s brother. And Sasuke attacked them, so I managed to escape.”

“So Sasuke helped you even after all that time?”

Naruto shook his head. “After he killed his brother he tried to kill me. It was just like when he left before. Anyway, while I was hiding and trying to get back to Konoha he came back and tricked Hinata into leaving Konoha with him. Luckily she didn’t fully trust him, and Neji and Lee followed secretly and rescued her. And... Neji blinded Sasuke. He was too dangerous.”

Sakura gasped and put her hands over her mouth.

“Then they left him to do whatever he wanted, but Orochimaru sent his ninja to kill him. Sasuke knew too much, and wasn’t any use to Orochimaru without his Sharingan. Our mission, the one you asked about, was to go and stop Sasuke being killed and bring him back here.”

“And where is Sasuke now?”

Naruto paused. That was highly confidential information. But he probably owed it to Sakura to share it with her, and if he couldn’t trust Sakura who could he trust?

“He’s in the cells under the ANBU building, Shino’s guarding him. I’ve been visiting him every day, trying to get him back the way he was. But it’s not working.” Naruto’s shoulders slumped in defeat, but he looked up. “Sakura, I’m really sorry, I would have told you, but... he’s not like he used to be. We didn’t want to get your hopes up. And of course this is top secret - nobody is supposed to know.”

“I should have been told - I should have been on that mission. I was his teammate too!”

There was silence for a minute. Naruto rubbed one foot with another as he looked away. When Sakura spoke again her voice was quieter.

“Is he okay? I mean, you keep saying he’s different, and you told me about his eyes... but he’s not... he’s not sick is he?”

“No, no, he’s fine - he’s just even more anti-social than he was before. But I’ll get him back to normal, I promise.”

A few raindrops spattered his face and he looked round. The clouds he had seen before were darker than ever, and building up over Konoha. He was about to suggest they ran for cover when Sakura interrupted him:

“Can I see him?”

He thought. They would have to ask Tsunade, and that would mean admitting that he had let the secret out, which would get him in a lot of trouble. And Tsunade would probably say no, after all the whole point of what they had ben working towards was keeping Sasuke isolated with limited and controlled input. He couldn’t imagine how Sakura and Sasuke would react to each other, but somehow he doubted it would be a very positive experience for either of them.

“Uhh, I don’t know Sakura, that would be pretty difficult.” More raindrops struck his hitae-ate and began to run down onto his face. He could see that Sakura was getting wet too.

“Please Naruto. After all this time, to know he’s so close... imagine how you would feel. Please?”

Naruto imagined, and realised suddenly that he had to help Sakura. Of course he had to.

“Okay,” he conceded, “I’ll do my best. But I don’t think Tsunade will agree very easily.”

“But you know where he is, don’t you? We don’t need to ask her, and I won’t tell.”

Not tell Tsunade? That was dangerous ground with a situation as delicate as Sasuke’s. And he wouldn’t be able to get Sakura into the prison without permission anyway.

“Sakura, we have to ask her. He’s in a high security cell - it won’t be as simple as just walking in.”

He was surprised to see a smile cross Sakura’s face for the first time.

“Oh, I think it will be,” she said.
Team Seven Reunited by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Enjoy! Please review - or at least rate! Let me know what you like. Or, if necessary, what you don't like. I gotta hear that too, no matter how little I like it.
Sakura explained further as they ran for cover towards Naruto’s flat:

“Who do you think writes all the Hokage’s reports and orders? Not her, anyway. Mostly she doesn’t even look at them. One of the first things she taught me was how to forge her signature!”

“No way...”

“Not that I’ve ever used it of course! At least, not illicitly.”

Naruto was glad to see that Sakura was becoming more animated now. They arrived in the shelter of his block and dripped into his small flat. Naruto pulled off his jacket and chucked it onto his bed, then turned to Sakura, who didn’t look too wet except for her hair.

“Umm, want a towel or something?”

“No, I’m fine thanks - I think we got in just in time. Could you put some tea on though?” She went to the table, and sitting down, pulled a pen and a neatly folded piece of Tsunade’s notepaper out of her weapons pouch. “I always carry some just in case.” Naruto watched curiously as he boiled water.

Sakura quickly scrawled out a note in writing that Naruto easily identified as not her own - and in fact it really did look a lot like Tsunade’s.

“Haruno Sakura is hereby authorised to visit the prisoner Uchiha Sasuke at any time, with or without Uzumaki Naruto. Signed, The Fifth Hokage.” He read over her shoulder. She grinned back at him.

“It’s years since I forged a signature like this! Not since the academy.”

Naruto couldn’t really remember whether Sakura had missed many days back then. He had skived plenty, so wouldn’t know for sure anyway. He’d never bothered to forge a note though.

“Will this really work?”

“We need to authenticate it first.”

“Isn’t that what the signature is for?”

“You’ll see. Is the tea ready yet?”

Confused, Naruto inspected the pot and decided it had absorbed enough flavour from the leaves. He offered it to Sakura, who had got herself a cup. She hastily poured some out, then slammed the cup down onto the table so that tea slopped over the sides. Naruto looked aghast at the yellowish pool creeping across the table top.

“Sakura!”

“Sorry Naruto, I’ll clean the table afterwards. But noone will suspect this note now.”

He looked and saw that she had made a couple of thin tea rings on the page. Holding the sheet up, she blew on it to dry it, then held it out to Naruto.

“Good huh?”

Naruto had to admit that it looked exactly like a lot of written instructions he had received from the Hokage.

“That’s amazing Sakura!”

“Alright, let’s go then.” Folding the page twice she gave it to Naruto. “Better if you have it.”

“Hold on... You mean go now?”

“Why not?”

“It just seems so sudden - shouldn’t we think about this first? And I’ve already been today.”

“Don’t you ever go more than once a day?”

“Well, yeah, sometimes.”

“Then it’s fine. Don’t worry, this’ll be no problem at all.”

Still only somewhat convinced, Naruto grabbed his jacket again and followed her out. It was windier than before and raining harder than ever, but Sakura set off briskly into the storm so after only a second-long pause Naruto hurried after her.




Sasuke lay on his bed. He knew Shino was standing just over there watching him, which gave him an extra reason to lie absolutely still even if he had had anything else to do. He hated to admit it to himself, but he was bored stiff, and even found he looked forward to Naruto’s visits each day. But Naruto had already been today, so he probably had at least eighteen hours of waiting before any more alleviation of the boredom could be expected. He wondered often if he should give in and show the interest he felt in Naruto’s stories, but his pride forbade it. And he knew he could never return to life in the village the way he was now - disgraced and powerless - even if the authorities would accept him. To live like that, surrounded by hatred, an object of ridicule and scorn... that would be unbearable for anyone.

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. Naruto again? That was strange. He heard Shino slide back the bolt and swing open the heavy metal door carefully. Then unusually there was a pause and a rustling of paper. Not Naruto then, who always announced his arrivals very loudly. He could hear slightly heavy breathing, from more than one person. Then footsteps and Shino must have exited the room, shutting the door again behind him.

“Umm, Sasuke?”

It was Naruto. Why was he so hesitant? And who was with him? His curiosity piqued, Sasuke decided encouraging conversation for once couldn’t hurt too much.

“I’m not likely to be anyone else, am I?”

Encouraging conversation was quite a different thing from being friendly.

“I’ve umm, brought someone to see you.”

Sasuke waited in silence until a new voice broke in. A voice he hadn’t heard for a very long time. He had known of course that Sakura would still be around somewhere, but hadn’t given too much thought to her.

“Hi Sasuke, it’s me. Sakura.” She sounded nervous. Typical.

“Oh.” Was all he could manage. Was he supposed to get excited or something? He heard her rush to the bars as she spoke more urgently:

“Sasuke, are you okay?”

“Well, I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my life in here, naturally.”

“Hoy, teme, aren’t you glad to see Sakura? Can’t you lighten up for five minutes?”

“Oh, yeah, just wait while I find the switch.” Sasuke struggled to hide his satisfaction with that comeback.

“Well, at least he’s talking now, Sakura. That’s more than I usually get.”




Sakura looked round the bare cell, her eyes always coming back to the inert body of the boy she had loved all those years before. He was so different now - and yet; she could still see some of the Sasuke she knew in this new person; The fierce intellect, the short, cutting use of words. The hair...

And just as she knew Naruto had felt he had to help her, so she knew she had to help Sasuke somehow. They were a team; ‘We three are one’, they had said that first day of training, and how could they live when a part of them was locked in here?

“Sasuke, I’m going to talk to the Hokage. I’m sure we can persuade her to let you out, at least some of the time. And to move back into your old appartment.”

“Don’t bother Sakura. I know she won’t, but I have no interest in going back to life in Konoha even if I could.”

“But Sasuke... This is where you belong.”

“Once. Not any more. Unless you can get me completely away, don’t bother.”

“Completely away,” interrupted Naruto, “then what would you do?”

Sasuke continued to stare stonily at the ceiling.

“It hardly matters, does it?”

No, it didn’t. It didn’t matter to Sakura, and not to Naruto either. To Sakura it was immediately obvious, and Naruto despite his misgivings after all the effort they had gone to in bringing Sasuke here agreed. He had begun to accept over the last few days that they were making no progress, and that if they could only assure a safe solution for both Sasuke and Konoha some sort of compromise with Sasuke’s desires would have to be reached. Not that he could have expressed that thought in words, it was more a feeling, a sense that this approach was doomed.

“Listen Sasuke, what do you want? We’ll help you - even if it means going against the Hokage’s wishes. As long as it won’t hurt the Village or anyone in it.”

“What?” Sasuke sat up and his face pointed towards them properly for the first time.

“We will Sasuke, I promise. This situation isn’t helping anyone.” Added Sakura

There was silence for a moment. Then:

“I want... I want to go away. I don’t care where, just so long as it’s far away. Somewhere where I can dwell on my mistakes in peace.”

“Sasuke...” Whispered Naruto.

“Hah. You think by 'mistakes' I mean going to Orochimaru?” Sneered Sasuke. “Don’t kid yourself: 'mistakes' like trusting him; like letting you get away after I killed Itachi; like getting tricked by that Hyuuga bitch. Like not fooling them here into thinking I was harmless so I could have another chance at finishing you all...”

“Stop” shouted Sakura at the same time as Naruto yelled ‘Sasuke’ again in anger.

There was silence for another moment before Sasuke broke it.

“But I’m willing to compromise. Those were my mistakes, and they’re in the past now. Like I said, all I want now is to get out of here.”

Naruto and Sakura looked at each other. They each knew what the other was thinking. They couldn't rush into helping this Sasuke they barely knew. Defying Tsunade and endangering the Village was justifiable for a friend, but for this person? They just barely shook their heads before turning to the door.

Which swung open to meet them. Aburame Shino stood facing them, eyes hidden but forehead tensed with anger. And suddenly the air around them was swarming with bugs.
Jailbreak by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Yo. Long time. Sorry about that. No promises for when the next one will be out either, but I really would like to finish this story this summer, so keep your fingers crossed. And enjoy! (and if you do enjoy, maybe write me a little review for my motivation?)
“Uzumaki, Haruno, hold your hands out in front of you, and don’t try to resist.”

“Shino, wait!”

“This is your final warning. You know what my ability is and in these circumstances I won’t go easy on you. My instructions in the event of rescue attempts are to kill if capture is difficult.”

“Listen...” began Naruto again, who actually had no idea what Shino’s ability was beyond it involving bugs - it had been a long time since the Chuunin exams, and his memory wasn’t the best - when Sakura cut in:

“Just do as he says Naruto, we can explain afterwards.”

Naruto growled in frustration, but obeyed Shino’s commands. The buzzing in the air calmed as most of the kikaichu returned to Shino’s body, a few staying airborne. Sakura took the opportunity to try and reason with their one time classmate.

“Shino, why are you doing this? We haven’t done anything.”

“There are all kinds of ways to break out of a cell, even underground. As Sasuke’s guard I keep track of this room all the time.” He pointed, indicating a tiny bug in the very top corner, which proceded to fly down and land on his finger. “I’m placing you two under arrest.”

Help came from an unexpected quarter as Sasuke spoke up:

“You idiot, they’d just decided not to help me. Arrest them if you want, but they weren’t going to do anything.”

“That’s for ANBU to decide.”

“ANBU?” repeated Naruto and Sakura in shock.

“I want to see Tsunade-ba-chan, this hasn’t got anything to do with ANBU.” continued Naruto.

“We’re here on behalf of the Fifth, take us to her.” Added Sakura.

“He is.” said Shino, indicating Naruto. “You are not. This is an ANBU building and you are here illicitly. That’s a good forgery, but my kikaichu know the scent of the Hokage’s orders, and that is not one. And since this is not a normal visit for Naruto either I don’t think it counts as being on the Hokage’s orders. He is an accomplice in the break-in.”

“Shino, for God’s sake, be reasonable! You know us,” pleaded Naruto.

“Go. Turn left outside the cell.”

“No! Take us to Tsunade!” Naruto was answered by an increase in kikaichu activity as they started to swarm again.

“Naruto, just do what he says, or they’ll eat all your chakra. We’ll be able to explain everything.”

“I don’t know, Jiraiya’s told me some things. Sakura, you work for Tsunade, have you ever seen the top ANBU paying her much attention? We could get in a lot of trouble if we go now.” He paused. “So these things eat chakra? Just how much can they manage?” Naruto grinned and clasped his hands together, forefingers pointing upwards below his chin.

“Naruto!” screamed Sakura then dived out of the way as a cloud of bugs descended on him, hiding him from view for a tenth of a second. Then he emitted a massive burst of chakra that forced the bugs back into the air as blue waves of chakra began to circulate around his body. The kikaichu recovered from the shock almost instantly and returned to the attack, but Naruto’s surrounding chakra kept increasing. Protected by it he ran forwards and punched Shino, who dissolved into a cloud of bugs which latched onto Naruto’s arm, dampening his chakra output enough for others to move closer around him.

“Naruto! You’re just making things worse.” Shouted Sakura from the corner where she was sheltering.

“Then I have to win, don’t I?” Naruto punctuated this with another, larger burst in chakra output as he doubled the visible energy force flowing round him, hurling the bugs back off him. Shino had materialised behind him, and he spun, creating two clones as he did so. They leapt towards Shino, but were instantly destroyed as the kikaichu swarmed the unprotected clones.

“So neither of us can use our regular abilities to attack the other. But how long can you keep up that abnormal chakra output?” Asked Shino.

“Hah - long enough to beat you.” Naruto created another three clones who leapt forwards, and this time the bugs moved back out of the way, so the clones were met instead by Shino, who destroyed the first one with a direct blow to the head as he blocked the second and ducked under the attack of the third. Gripping the arm of the punch he had blocked, Shino pulled the second one across into the last clone so they fell against the cell wall and evaporated. He took his taijutsu stance once more before running forwards to attack the original.

Sakura watched as despite Naruto’s enormous power he was forced to back away by Shino’s more skilful hand-to-hand combat. Naruto had no time to form any seals, and suddenly tripped backwards under the rain of blows. But as Shino ran forwards to finish him, Naruto turned the fall into a backwards roll, and as he returned to his feet in a crouch he launched himself immediatedly upwards into Shino’s stomach. Shino was winded and thrown back against the far wall, beside Sakura. Acting quickly, she leaned across with a hand glowing green and held it over Shino’s head, causing him to collapse motionless on the floor.

“General Anaesthetic. He won’t wake up for several hours. Naruto, we’ve got to get to the Hokage, explain to her.”

The kikaichu with no source of instructions now were returning to Shino’s body as Naruto released his chakra control and slumped to the floor, breathing heavily.

“I don’t know. Seems to me we’re in a lot of trouble anyway. We’ll certainly never be allowed back here while Sasuke’s still imprisoned.”

“So what are you suggesting? We free Sasuke after all?”

“Shino’s already out of the way - that makes it a lot easier.”

Sakura shook her head, but watched as Naruto approached Sasuke’s bars.

“Hoy, teme, still want to get away somewhere?”

“Get on with it if you’re going to.” Was Sasuke’s curt reply. Naruto put his hand on the seal locking the door.

“Wait!” Shouted Sakura. “One condition, Sasuke. Tell us everything you know about Orchimaru’s whereabouts and strength, and any information you have on Akatsuki.”

“Fine, but let’s get out of here first.”

“No, we should be safe here for now. If Shino had told anyone else they’d be here by now. Start talking, I’ll write it down.” Sakura pulled out several more sheets of paper and a pen from her pouch. Naruto, presuming that whatever Sakura had arranged was the right thing in the circumstances, sat down to wait.





Fifteen minutes later several pages of writing were neatly folded on Sasuke’s bunk and the three of them were creeping out into the dank corridor. Sakura beckoned them to join her when she reached the end.

“There’ll be guards outside this door. I’ve decided the best way to get past” - her hand growed green again with a medical technique before striking Sasuke first on the head, and then on the chest - “is if Sasuke looks seriously ill.”

“Sakura! What was that?” Whispered Naruto in alarm.

“Knocked him out, same as Shino but for a much shorter period of time. And stopped his lungs.”

“What?”

“He’ll be fine for at least a minute, but we’ve got to get out by then so I can start them again. Quick, I’ll carry his legs.”

They burst out into ANBU headquarters, which thankfully were almost empty. The guard on the door moved to block their path though, but Sakura’s breathless explanation that Sasuke had stopped breathing and that they had to get him to Tsunade immediately seemed to convince him and he let them pass. Stumbling out into the street Sakura looked around then quickly performed the jutsu in reverse. It was still raining as they decided to make for the temporary hiding place of Naruto’s flat first, knowing it wouldn’t be long before the guard became suspicious. Naruto shouldered Sasuke, who was still unconscious, and they set off through the streets.





Kiba and Hinata were sipping tea when Naruto and Sakura staggered in, dripping wet and carrying what looked suspiciously like Sasuke.

“Sakura!” Began Hinata before she noticed Sasuke. “You didn’t... is he meant to be here, Naruto-kun?”

“Umm, not exactly, Hinata.” He laid Sasuke on his bed and turned to face them. Hinata was still sitting, but Kiba was standing on the other side of the table, and his face showed his shock.

“You fucking idiots! Did you just help an S-class prisoner escape from ANBU?”

“He’s not S-class, only B.”

“Like that makes a fucking difference! He’s the biggest traitor since his master.”

“Look, Shino forced us, alright? We weren’t going to let him out, but then that bastard attacked us and said he was taking us to ANBU...”

“Is Shino-kun okay, Naruto?” interrupted Hinata.

“He’s fine, Sakura just put him to sleep for a bit.”

A noise from the bed made them all spin to look at Sasuke. Although beginning to stir, he was still asleep for the moment.

Kiba pointed a finger at the bed. “Look, I don’t know what you were thinking, or what you were planning to do now, but we’re taking him straight to the Hokage. You - we now you’ve brought him here - are in way too deep.”

Sakura spoke up for the first time.

“Look, this is my fault, I’ll take responsibility. Kiba, you should go home now, and if you leave as well Hinata, no one will know either of you know anything at all. But, Kiba, it’s not just as simple as asking Tsunade-sama to solve everything. What can she do in this situation? Lock all three of us up? None of us want that, and neither will she. Being Hokage isn’t easy, and it doesn’t give you all the answers, I know that only too well. But this is one problem she won’t have to think about, and neither do you.”

“You talk a lot, but what are you actually going to do? You can bet I’ll wash my hands of this, but not ‘til I’ve heard your plan isn’t too dangerous or stupid.”

Naruto turned back to his partner in crime as well. “Yeah, what are we going to do, Sakura?”

“I... I don’t know. We need to get out of the village before the alarm is raised. I’ll go now, you all just stay here like you don’t know anything. There’s no need for more than one of us. I’ll get him somewhere safe - outside the Fire Country’s borders - and then come back.”

“Uh huh, and what about Naruto? I think there are enough witnesses to incriminate him - especially if you run off and it’s only his word against Shino and half of ANBU.”

“I’ll come Sakura, it might be dangerous...”

“No! Tell them I drugged you, Tsunade knows how easy it would be for me. You don’t know anything. None of you know anything. I’ll go now.”

Sakura took her soaking jacket from the chair in front of her and began to put it on again, but Naruto stopped her.

“Look, Sakura, you don’t know what he’s like. And if word gets out Orochimaru may still try to kill him. I have to come as well.”

“And I’ll come too,” added Hinata. “I don’t care what the village thinks, I’m staying with you Naruto.” She began to blush. “You always do the right thing.”

“Hinata...” Naruto enveloped her in an enthusiastic hug, but then drew back gently. “Hinata, I don’t want you to get in any trouble. I’ll be back soon, and someone has to look after the flat.”

Kiba snorted. “What are you going to lose. Your ramen store? But I agree, Hinata you should stay. If they’re gone long enough you might be able to talk the Hokage into forgiving them.”

But Hinata shook her head. “No, I’m going with Naruto.”

Sasuke’s voice startled them, and Kiba jumped backwards, lips parting in a snarl. But he was still lying on the bed where they had put him.

“That bitch,” he said, “is staying. I have had quite enough of her company.” He sneered, “If you can’t bear to leave her, Naruto, then don’t. I’ve no desire to spend any more time with you either. As for Orochimaru, if we get attacked and can’t beat them, just kill me quickly and escape, Sakura. I swear I won’t cause trouble if you get me out of here. But hurry!”

Naruto’s body tensed at the insult to Hinata, but she held him more tightly and he relaxed again. “Well, I’m afraid it looks like you’ll have to put up with both of us.”

Sakura shook her head. “Naruto... you don’t have to come, you really don’t.”

“You’d do the same for me. And anyway, there’s no way Shino would let me pretend I beat him while drugged. Kiba... don’t wait up. Let’s go.”

Sasuke leapt to his feet and Sakura went to his side as Naruto and Hinata shoved food and clothes into their rucksacks. And then, as if time had suddenly warped, Kiba found himself sitting alone in Naruto’s kitchen as the rain pounded on the window. Well, not quite alone.

“I guess that’s that then, huh Akamaru?”

Akamaru only whined quietly and paced to the door.

“Yeah, you’re right. Better get out of here before ANBU show up.”





Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke and Hinata hurried through the pouring rain towards the city gates. The streets were empty of people, but filling quickly with large puddles. As they ran, Sakura called instructions as quietly as she could.

“Sasuke, keep your hood up. In fact all of you, it won’t look odd in the rain. I’ll do the talking at the gate, I’ve got permanent passage as the Hokage’s assistant.”

But as they approached the gate they were surprised to see that there were no attendants in the guard’s hut. Sakura slowed to a walk, and looked anxiously round. “But, there are always guards stationed. Always...”

A familiar voice answered her confusion.

“I sent them on an errand. I’m guarding the gate instead. And you are in a lot of trouble.”

The Fifth herself was leaning against the gate post under the shelter of the wide wall.
Confrontation by niveaus
Author's Notes:
I hope the five of you left enjoy this chapter. I'll try and get the next one up soon.
“Tsunade-baa-chan!”

“What do you think you are doing?”

“Tsunade-sama, I’m so sorry, this is my fault. I persuaded Naruto to take me to see Sasuke, and then there was a misunderstanding with Shino, and... everything just seemed to happen.”

“This is an incredibly difficult situation. ANBU are going to be here any moment, and that’ll make things very awkward for all of us. Just what exactly was your plan from here on?”

“We were going to take Sasuke away, somewhere safe, where he wouldn’t be a threat to anyone or be in danger himself,” answered Sakura. “He’s told us everything he knows, so there’s really no point keeping him here.”

“Yes, I know.”

Naruto burst in: “What do you mean? What do you know?”

“Naruto, you ought to wash your clothes more often - and try to think about security like a half-decent ninja. I had bugs installed in your jacket weeks ago. I saw this coming too, Sakura was bound to find out in the end. But I thought I’d have more time to prepare when it did - you both acted so fast. Anyway, here are your mission briefings, Naruto and Sakura, dated yesterday. Just break the seals so it looks like you’ve read them, and I can tell you essentially that they command you both to remove Sasuke from his cell by whatever means necessary, and then to proceed at your own discretion to the location noted, or similar. I’ve been giving Sasuke’s home if he leaves again some thought for a while now, and recommend the one I’ve listed there. I’ve used it a few times when creditors have been after me, it’s well hidden, but close to some towns where you should be able to get food and news without attracting too much attention. And I’ve never heard of Orochimaru operating there. Hinata, I kind of ran out of time, so your order just says escort duty under Sakura’s command. Did Kiba really decide not to join you? I’ll hang on to his then.”

“Tsunade-baa-chan...”

Hinata looked down at the bit of parchment in her hands, and felt gratitude and sadness welling up together in her chest. She shook her head and held it back out to Tsunade.

“We can’t.”

“Just take them.”

“But these... these incriminate you. It’ll look like you ordered an... an attack on Konoha ANBU.”

Sakura’s jaw dropped as she realised the full implications of what Hinata was saying. “She’s right... the elders, and the heads of ANBU, they won’t stand for this. You’ll be in loads of trouble.”

“Do you think I haven’t thought about that? This is the best solution. Even if I have to resign myself, that’s better for Konoha than you three being locked away for years. And I won’t go down without a fight either. In some ways I’ve been itching for a chance to put ANBU in its place for years, and if I come out on top now it’ll really show them who’s boss. I’ve got copies, so take them and go, and I’ll try and stop them following you. But if they do catch up, just show them your orders and tell them you’re on a mission. Fight them if you have to, but don’t get arrested, and don’t get hurt; Konoha is going to need all three of you very soon. Hurry, they’re coming now.”

“Tsunade-sama... thank you. Thank you so much.” They bowed their heads in gratitude, and even Sasuke looked humbled as she walked back past them to the village side of the gate.

“Go!”

And they went, running into the mist of rain and cloud, the water seeping through their few layers of clothing but their pace keeping them warm. Sakura ran in front, then Sasuke, surprisingly agile despite his inactivity the last weeks, his lack of vision not seeming to trouble his movement too much. After him went Naruto, and finally Hinata, her Byakugan activated to scan for pursuers.





Tsunade stood under the shelter of the gate again, tracking the chakras of the four ninja vanishing behind her and the eight ANBU members she knew had been on standby rushing towards her. Two of them were slightly behind the others, and coming from the direction of Naruto’s apartment. She sighed and closed her eyes; she was getting too old for this kind of trouble, despite her appearance, but no one had ever doubted her ability to deal with any situation and she wasn’t about to give them reason to do so. There were only eight of them and ANBU were still subordinate to the Hokage, whatever their leaders might think.

And at least she wasn’t entirely alone.

“You can still go after them you know,” she called to her left, “I’ve got an order written out for you.”

Kiba emerged from an alleyway well within hearing distance, his face resigned and his dog by his side.

“No thanks, I think they’ll be fine. And just now it seems to me like you might need more help than them.”

“Well maybe. Can I rely on you then?”

“Of course!”

“Then get back under cover and stay hidden. If things turn nasty...”

“We’ll beat the crap out of them.”

“You’re a lot like Naruto sometimes, you know that?” Tsunade could not help smiling at Kiba’s insulted and disbelieving face before she took pity on him. “Well, I’ll take that back if you can obey this order: If they attack me and it doesn’t go well, I need you to gather as many loyal ninja as you can as quickly as possible. You’re fast, I know that. And you’ll be able to track them down wherever they go afterwards, though it’ll probably just be to ANBU headquarters. Don’t hurt anyone if you can help it, it’ll only make things more difficult. But like I said to the others: most importantly don’t get hurt yourself.”

“Yeah, I heard.”

“Right, then I’ll be relying on you. Go now, they’re here!”





Kiba left before she had finished speaking, and had barely reached cover when a series of black blurs appeared in the street before the Hokage, all in masks and metal armour. He watched one of them step forward and address Tsunade.

“Hokage-sama, we are pursuing the escaped prisoner Uchiha Sasuke and the criminals who assisted him, Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura.”

Tsunade folded her arms.

“I’m afraid there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding. This was a scheduled release, the relevant information should have been passed on to you.”

“I don’t quite understand.”

“I ordered Uzumaki and Haruno to release the prisoner Uchiha Sasuke. I hope you gave them your full co-operation?”

“Hokage-sama, we have received no such information. Two of our members were attacked, and all the evidence suggests that Uzumaki and Haruno were aware of the illegality of their actions. We will bring them back for interrogation, any misunderstandings can be sorted out then.”

Kiba watched Tsunade drop her hands to her hips and saw her face harden.

“You will return to your quarters immediately and await further instructions. That is an order!”

There was an agonising moment and then Kiba breathed in relief as first the leader, and then the other seven ANBU came to attention and began to turn away. But the ghost of a smile sliding across Tsunade’s face disappeared in an instant when a new voice broke in, a voice Kiba had never heard before. He looked all round hurriedly and it took him a moment to realise that the source of the voice was already in the middle of the ANBU members facing Tsunade.

“Tsunade,” he heard the voice say, and it was a hard, rasping old voice, with an edge of... self-satisfaction? “Tsunade, you’ve gone too far now. Just how much damage does the village have to suffer before you’ll stop endangering it to protect that demon boy and those other worthless criminals?”

Kiba gritted his teeth in anger. Who was this old man? In no normal circumstances would he let anyone talk like that about his friends - or treat the Hokage with so little respect. And worse, the ANBU squads had turned back to Tsunade and even spread out a little to form a semi-circle around her. “Shit,” he intoned to himself and tensed his muscles to run.

“Danzou!” replied Tsunade. “I am the Fifth Hokage, granddaughter of the First and Student of the Third. I know what is best for this village, and I decide how to achieve it. I know how you’ve been scheming for control of ANBU and gaining influence there, but that gives you no right to question my actions. You men, get out of here now!”

But they didn’t move. Danzou had their full attention as he walked forward to stand directly in front of Tsunade.

“I think it’s time we had a review of the Hokage position. Doesn’t matter how good a guard dog is, if it goes mad and can no longer tell the difference between friend and foe, well... it has to be put down. Restrain her!”

Before Tsunade could even move four ANBU surrounded her, holding her arms behind her back and forcing her to her knees. He saw her close her eyes and then open them suddenly as she leaned forward to bark angrily:

“Foolish children! Who are you obeying? Think about it, and forget the poison he’s spread these last months. When have I ever let the village down? I was chosen as the Hokage, and you would do well to remember that. This is mutiny!”

“It won’t be mutiny when you’re no longer the Hokage. You four, take her back to ANBU headquarters for trial. The rest of you, capture those criminals.”

“Shit, shit, shit!” intoned Kiba again as he sprung round, only to come face to face with a tall masked ninja.

“Out of my way, I’m warning you!” He growled as quietly as he could. The figure in front of him only sighed.

“I’m sorry Kiba, I don’t think I can do that.”

A solitary bug crawled out of his adversary’s sleeve.
Sasuke's Decision by niveaus
Author's Notes:
Enjoy! And incidentally, if you've read this far you must quite like the story. How about leaving a review or even just a rating? Cheers.
“Wait,” shouted Tsunade as she saw the other four ANBU begin to move towards the gate and the pursuit of Sakura and her team. She could easily throw off her attackers, she knew, but she did not want to be the first to initiate actual violence. Violence would quickly make the situation irreparable. But she could sense that Kiba was still nearby... and someone was with him, so perhaps he was no longer free to move. And she did not want to let a pursuit team set off if she could help it. Perhaps the time had come for more active resistance? Then her thoughts were interrupted by some familiar chakras bursting into her detection range, and she cursed aloud.

“Damn it, why are they..?” And then she stepped back instinctively as a crouched figure appeared in front of her and suddenly she felt the grips on her arms release as all four ANBU seemed simultaneously to be hurled away from her into the air. There was a flash of white and black which she followed as it seemed to disappear and then reappear some metres behind her, where the other ANBU were turning back and drawing kunai against this new adversary. However, their attacks were easily deflected and one after another they were disarmed and thrown aside, unconscious or badly winded, but not, she could tell even from this distance, badly injured any of them.

“Uchiha Sasuke,” spoke Danzou behind her, and her brain finally caught up with his movements as Sasuke replied.

“Uhh. Who the hell are you?”

“Sasuke! What are you doing back here?” Tsunade shouted, her emotions torn between anger and relief.

“Blame that useless lot you sent with me. Hardly got a mile away before they started feeling guilty and wanting to come and take the blame instead of you. But there’s bugger all they can do against Konoha ninja so I had to step in. Don’t get the wrong idea, I just want to get on and out of here, and I don’t care if that means killing these pathetic excuses for ninja. Maybe now we can leave, Naruto?”

Naruto, Hinata and Sakura had appeared behind him in the gate as he spoke. Sakura and Hinata bowed low and spoke almost together:

“My deepest apologies, Hokage-sama!”

Through all this Sasuke and Danzou had kept their full attention on each other, and when Sasuke had finished speaking Danzou answered his original question.

“My name is Danzou. Does that mean anything to you?”

“So you’re the one responsible for the assassination attempts against me while I was with Orochimaru?”

“Oho, and how do you come to know that?”

“Even those guys had a breaking point. If I still had my eyes I’d show you...”

Tsunade broke in:

“Assassination attempts? What is the meaning of this, Danzou?”

“Someone had to take responsibility for the village’s safety, and you were obviously not competent enough.”

“I had a strategy! I had a strategy for the entire Sasuke business. Sure, it never came to anything, but how dare you go over my head? Shino!” Shino and Kiba appeared from their alleyway. “You are loyal to your Hokage, correct?”

“Yes, Hokage-sama. You told me when I first accepted this assignment that if ever a situation of internal conflict arose, prevention of escalation was the most important thing. That is why I stopped Kiba getting reinforcements while the struggle here was still in doubt.”

“Good. Then I’ll ask you to escort Danzou to a cell, and make you responsible for finding out any elements of ANBU who are absolutely loyal to him before me.”

“Very well, Hokage-sama.”

Shino moved to Danzou’s side and began to bind his hands.

“You fool, Tsunade! Your mismanagement will only bring Konoha to ruin, you mark my words!”

“You’re wrong, Danzou. Today I have seen confirmation of why it is best to promote the loyalties and emotions the Third and I have always supported. If these three were rule-obeying automatons Konoha would be leaderless now, perhaps locked in conflict. Instead, thanks to their good consciences we are stronger than ever before.”

“Rubbish. You’re only saved because of that cold-hearted bastard.”

“Who saw where his abilities were needed to help his friends and did so without causing any serious harm, thus maintaining the harmony of the village. Even Sasuke still has some remnants of the Konoha spirit.”

The group watched in silence as Danzou was led away, then Sasuke spoke again:

“Let’s go.” The others looked at Tsunade and then at each other and nodded. Sakura bowed again to her.

“Excuse us then. We won’t be long.”

Tsunade began to nod her agreement, when an idea came to her mind.

“Wait!” She gathered her thoughts as they all stood, waiting in the dying rain for her instructions. “Sasuke, I understand that you don’t want to be a part of this village. And I’m not going to force you to be one. But for now we have the same aims. Can’t we co-operate for a while?”

“How do you mean?” answered Sasuke.

“Well, you seem to have developed your chakra sensing ability remarkably quickly since you lost your eyesight, and you’ve just proven you have the right instincts. I think your ability and your knowledge of Orochimaru’s habits will be a great help to us in finding and killing him. And in return you may get the opportunity to take your revenge personally.”

“Hmm. And after that?”

“You can do whatever you like.”

Tsunade, Naruto, Sakura and Hinata all held their breath as the silence stretched out for what seemed like an eternity before Sasuke made up his mind.







“Where d’you think you’d be anyway, Sasuke?”

“Huh. How should I know?”

“Prob’ly dead in some gutter and eaten by rats!”

“Kiba-kun!”

“Don’t worry Hinata, Sasuke’s so rude anyway. Didn’t Orochimaru teach you any manners?”

“Haha, yeah! Like, when I was with the Pervy Sage, I always had to... actually no. All he taught me were bad habits.”

“I suppose Tsunade’s not the very best role-model either. But don’t tell her I said that!”

“You were lucky to be taught by the Sannin, even though it was... I didn’t... I...”

“What, Hinata-chan?”

“I didn’t like it that you were away for so long, Naruto-kun.”

“Aww, Hinata!”

“Oh well, no one would know you’d ever been apart now.”

“Hey, Hinata?”

“What is it, Sasuke?”

“Well, I just remembered. I never got you back for my eyes.”

“What the..!”

“Chill out guys. I was only going to say, don’t worry about it. I’m pretty shit at forgiving, but I’ll do my best to forget anyway.”

“Thank you, Sasuke. I’m... I’m sorry we had to do that.”

“Wasn’t your fault Hinata-chan, you did great. And you haven’t answered my question yet, Sasuke-bastard.”

“Where would I be now? Probably the head of some top secret ninja organisation, with influence all over the world. I’d be in control of everything and stronger than everyone. In fact it’s not too late, I should probably get out there now.”

“Yeah right! You’d be starving in some cave somewhere! ‘Oh please, spare a penny for the poor...’”

“Naruto-kun!”

“Tch. Well, if you’ve already decided, why’d you ask?”

“Hehe. I was just thinking back a bit. I mean, Hinata and I have been married for a year today right, so it got me thinking about the past. That’s what another-year-gone-by celebrations are for, right?”

“Anniversaries, Naruto.”

“Whatever, Sakura!”

“Why don’t you leave anyway, we finished off Orochimaru and his group ages ago.”

“Don’t encourage him, Kiba.”

“Don’t worry Sakura, I don’t think I’m going to up and leave any time soon. How can I explain this? I guess when you don’t have a home, one place is as good as the next.”

“That’s all?”

“That was my reasoning at the time. Maybe things have changed by now.”

“I’m glad you stayed anyway.”

“Hinata-chan?”

“Well otherwise you’d have been off looking for him all the time! You’re away enough with the official missions Tsunade sends you on without you running around on your own.”

“I don’t like it when you’re away either.”

“Man, this place is practically dripping with emotion. I’m getting out of here, come on Akamaru.”

“Bye, Kiba-kun.”

“Tell you what, Hinata! When I’m Hokage I’ll have to stay in the village, obviously. And I’ll get to choose who does what missions, so you can stay with me!”

“Naruto-kun! You can’t do that!”

“Just joking, Hinata-chan. But maybe I can tweak things a little bit...”

“Huh. It’s no good trying to predict the future.”

“No, I guess you’re right, Sasuke. But I’ll tell you what: I’m pretty sure we’re all going to have some good times!”

“And my Naruto-kun is usually right.”
End Notes:
-
-
-
-
-
Well. It's been a long two years, and if you've made it all the way to this sentence you've probably been more faithful than me to this story. There've been some long waits, and there've been times when I just had no motivation to write any more at all. But you know what? I always thought one day, somehow, I would find an ending. It might not be a very good ending, but it's an end, and that's what the story needed by now.

Most importantly though, I have enjoyed writing this story so much. I remember summer two years ago when I wrote most of it, how I would think about it all day at work, and then write a chapter in the evening when I came home, and do almost nothing else, and how rewarding that was. And every morning I would wake up early to check if I had any new reviews, because they were such a good start to the day, and gave me the inspiration I needed to spend the hours at work planning more.

And if you reviewed on the way here, know that I'm truly grateful for your kind words. Just about all the reviews I got were so positive and often very flattering, they made me really happy that I was contributing to the experiences of other people all around the world... America, the UK, Australia... I think you were from all over, and that was really cool.

I don't know if I'll ever write any more naruto fanfiction, but I really hope so. It's a community and a world I really enjoy being a part of, and I'm sure I'll be back now and again to read a bit, and to see if anyone has been reading my stories. Incidentally, if you haven't already, I've written five little one-shots that you might enjoy. Particularly the Sasuke and Itachi based ones I like, but I think the others are alright too.

Anyway, thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed yourself almost as much as I have.

- niveaus (William), 21 July 2009.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=4340