Blood and Snow by hanyouelf
Summary: [COMPLETE] He would die protecting his almost lover, he would die saving Momochi Zabuza and it was okay. And as his heart slowed and his body shut down, Haku remembered.
Categories: Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance Characters:
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 16707 Read: 7898 Published: 31/08/06 Updated: 02/10/06

1. Blood and Snow by hanyouelf

2. Blood and Snow: Rescue by hanyouelf

3. Blood and Snow: Learning by hanyouelf

4. Blood and Snow: Resolve by hanyouelf

5. Blood and Snow: Determination pt1 by hanyouelf

6. Blood and Snow: Determination pt2 by hanyouelf

7. Blood and Snow: Quiet before the Storm by hanyouelf

8. Blood and Snow: Destiny Calls by hanyouelf

9. Blood and Snow: The End by hanyouelf

Blood and Snow by hanyouelf
Haku and Zabuza belong to Kishimoto-sama. It's their world, I just play in it.

His name was Shiori Haku and he was alone. There was nobody in the world that cared for him, nobody in the world who wanted to care for him, except for one man. It was for that one man that he didn’t mind giving up his life, giving his everything for the only man who had ever cared about him.

It hurt, it hurt like nothing he’d ever felt before, but that was okay. He would die protecting his almost lover, he would die saving Momochi Zabuza and it was okay. And as his heart slowed and his body shut down, Haku remembered.
Blood and Snow: Rescue by hanyouelf
Author's Notes:
Haku angst and child neglect
Haku had never known what sorrow was. He had never had to cry, he had never had to hide his feelings. His father and his mother, his loving parents had always supported him in everything that he had ever wanted to do. So it was with great anticipation of praise that he showed his mother what he could make the water do. He had moved water with his hands, he could hold it in a bubble and he could move it freely. He was able to make the water dance around him. It was exciting. And because he had never known anything but the praise of his parents, he naturally wanted to share it with them.

“Mommy, look what I can do!” Haku exclaimed in his quiet voice. He smiled at the beautiful woman he called mother and demonstrated for her, the trick he’d learned.

“Haku!” she gasped. And then she did something he’d never thought she would do. Her hand left a stinging across his cheek. Shock ran through his body and he couldn’t stop the tears in his eyes. “Don’t you ever do that again! Don’t you ever do it, do you understand?”

“What’d I do wrong mommy?” Haku asked, crying as he looked at his mother in wide-eyed fear.

“Don’t ever play with the water again. It’s bad,” she murmured softly, hugging her son to her. “You didn’t know but now that you do, do not ever do it again.”

“I won’t mommy, I promise,” Haku sniffled softly. “Why is it bad?”

“Because it’s evil,” his mother answered softly, running her hands through Haku’s hair. “You can’t ever do that again, okay?”

“Mommy I won’t do it again. Don’t be sad mommy, please don’t be sad mommy.”

He had no idea that behind them, where neither could see him, the man they didn’t want to see his secret had seen precisely that.

-.-.-.-

“You monstrous, lying bitch!” his father’s deep voice echoed through their home. “You lying whore!”

“Daddy?” Haku whimpered from his seat in at the kitchen table.

“You spawned a monster, you whore!”

“Daddy what’s wrong?” Haku cried softly.

“Haku! Haku run!” his mother shouted in fear.

There was nothing Haku could do. He was frozen in fear as his father moved through the house, waving the bat in his hand, glaring manically at his family. Behind the man, the only man that Haku had ever known and loved, were men he’d never met before, carrying matching bats and glares. Haku could do nothing as he watched two dragged his mother from the table.

“You lied to me,” his father growled. “I loved you and I believed your lies and I took you in! I made you my wife and you lied to me! Eight years of my life, and you lied to me! You were always a monster and you made me believe you weren’t.”

“Stop! I didn’t know. I didn’t know it would go to him; I didn’t want him to have it. I love you!” she cried helplessly, falling to the floor as the heavy wood struck her, over and over.

Haku was frozen in his seat, cowering in fear and hoping to the gods that his father wouldn’t come to him. He watched, frozen in fear and shock as his mother stopped moving, as his mother was beaten to death before his eyes.

“Daddy?” Haku whimpered, clenching the table tightly in his small hands. There was something wrong with his father’s eyes.

“You’re a monster Haku. You should have never been born. That bitch lied to me, told me she was normal. And now I have to start over again,”

“I’m sorry daddy,” Haku whispered, shivering in fear as his father advanced on him. All thoughts were pushed aside as his father raised his arm and brought the wood crashing into the side of his body. Wordlessly, he cried out in pain and fell to the floor, upsetting his chair as he went.

“You are a monster,” his father muttered angrily. “You should have never been born. You will die with that in your head, abomination.”

As his father’s powerful arm pinned him to the floor and wall, his free hand raising the weapon once more, bringing it down to destroy Haku’s head. Instinct took over and Haku closed his deep eyes, praying for somebody to help him. He flinched as wood cracked and splintered around him and the sounds of something disgusting and wet being pierced. He was splashed with the something warm, something that coated him thickly.

There were no more noises, there was nothing left. He opened his eyes slowly and felt the bile rising in his throat. His father stood brokenly before him, impaled on an icicle that had broken through the roof of the home. And everywhere there once had been a man, there was a bloody icicle, skewering the man to the floor of the house.

“Daddy?” Haku whimpered in disgust and fear. “I have to get out of here. I have to get out of here,” he repeated softly. “This is why I’m not supposed to use the water. Mommy said it’s bad and I made a mess. Mommy’s gonna be so… mommy won’t care anymore,” he cried softly.

Stumbling from the broken home, he kept his head bowed as he fought to stay upright, fought not to fall to the snow. He was useless now, and it hurt. His heart hurt and his hip was sore, he hurt and he wanted to disappear.

-.-.-.-

It was cold. There was nothing for him to do but knock on people’s doors, hoping to all the gods there were that somebody would help him. He was alone and he hurt and every time he moved, pain shot through his body, flashing behind his eyes were bright lights that blinded him. He hurt and he just wanted somebody to help him.

But every door he appeared before resulted in the same words, “That’s that monster child. That’s the child of a murderer. He’s a curse to all who go near him. He isn’t normal.” He just wanted somebody to hold onto him, somebody to tell him that he wasn’t hated, that he was loved and cared for and that he wasn’t going to be abandoned again. But there wasn’t anyone. Nobody cared about him, after all. And that was okay, he didn’t need anyone to care about him anymore.

He was scared and nobody cared about him. He was alone in the world. He was cold and scared and he wanted nothing more than to find his mother and curl up around her.

He was alone.

-.-.-.-

He was huddled by the garbage, sore, tired, exhausted and dirty, through and through. An orphan, abandoned and all alone, nobody cared about him. Unless they needed some sort of amusement. And it was then that Haku could expect attention.

Today had been one of those days. Men from the village he lived in exile within, had craved attention. The kind of attention only whores could provide. He hurt; they were never gentle with him, refusing to believe him to be more than free entertainment. He was such poor entertainment that he was never rewarded.

Hunger gnawed at his small form and he forced himself not to cry as he waited for the pain to dissipate or the garbage man to come. He had to act fast though, because otherwise the rabid dogs would try and attack him. If he wasn’t fast enough, he would go hungry today. And if he wasn’t hidden well enough, he would be kicked, and then it wouldn’t matter if he was hungry or not, he wouldn’t care anymore.

Silent relief filled him as he watched the garbage man walk with his full cart to the dumpster. The dogs weren’t around yet and so far, he hadn’t been seen. He shifted closer to the side of the wooden dumping bin, thinking himself invisible. He imagined a pile of snow on the side of the dumpster and was relieved when snow shifted, hiding him. With wide, fearful eyes, Haku watched the man empty his cart before turning and leaving, never noticing the starving boy on the side.

He smiled a beautiful smile before jumping up to assault the garbage. Not only did it have the food he would eat to guarantee this evening’s survival, he would be able to find a little warmth for a few moments. He was leafing through the garbage bags, searching for something that would fill him for the night. He would never be filled though, never.

He had finally found something hidden in the depths of the garbage, some bread and some kind of noodles, slick in their age. He silently rejoiced, pulling the bread and a handful of the slimy, slick noodles free. He put the noodles to his mouth, ignoring the slime that caused the noodles to slide in his fingers. Slurping noisily, he inhaled the noodles, their slimy texture sliding down his throat. He resisted the urge to vomit, desperate to keep the food he rarely got to eat in his stomach. He brought the bread to his lips and froze when he heard the familiar growling behind him. Turning fearfully, he met the gazes of the dogs, four of them, come to find their own dinner. He sighed, glad that he’d gotten to eat the noodles and enjoy the warmth for a few moments tonight. With large eyes, he fled the dumpster, hoping to get away this evening. He wasn’t always so lucky; he would often be caught, thrown to the ground and bitten.

One of the dogs attacked his ankle, warning him for daring to put his hands on their property. He whimpered softly, ignoring the pain as he ran, ignoring the fear and the jeers of people he passed on the street. He wasn’t afraid, not of them, not anymore. He was powerful, when he wanted to be, but like the last time he’d used his power for anything other than hiding, he would hurt something or somebody. The last time he’d really used his power, he’d killed his father.

He ran, not stopping until he found the nearly abandoned bridge that he hid on more often then not. He crouched low on the wooden planks, avoiding the snow drifts. He was afraid, he didn’t want to be here anymore and he wanted to run from his life, but there was nowhere left to run to. He sniffled, the tears coming to his eyes as he bowed his head. He had bread clenched in his fist, holding it close to his chest. He wouldn’t lose his bread, he wouldn’t lose his bread.

Tears poured freely from his eyes, sliding heatedly down his thin cheeks. He whimpered softly, wrapping his arms around himself, closing himself off from the cold as best as he could. He shoved the bread into his shirt, hiding it from everyone who saw him, he didn’t want to lose his bread, and he couldn’t afford to lose his bread. He wrapped his arms around his knees, trying to will the tears to stop before they froze to his cheeks. He didn’t want to pull ice from his cheeks again. It hurt.

“Pathetic,” a deep voice growled, startling Haku out of his silent pondering. Haku raised his eyes, glancing in confusion and fear at the man in front of him. His face was covered in bandages, except for his eyes. “Look at you… A foundling, an orphan. Thrown away, unloved and uncared for, soon you’ll die here by the side of the road, with nothing to show that you lived or died and no one to care what your dreams were.”

“I… can see myself in your eyes,” Haku murmured softly, his voice cracking in its disuse. “We have the same expression!” He could see the loneliness in Zabuza’s dark eyes. The rejection and the fear that things would end horribly; he was familiar with the emotions playing on Zabuza’s half of a face.

“Come here kid,” Zabuza ordered, holding a hand out. Haku stood, taking the man’s hand. He gasped as he was pulled close, held against his thin, muscled side.

The man’s side was warm and as he held Haku close to him, Haku felt as though something within the world shifted, offering him hope and a promise. He moved closer to the warmth of the man and smiled, turning his face up to the older man hidden behind bandages. He was probably some evil man, but he had promised warmth and food and shelter and Haku was willing to do whatever it took to get those things, especially on a regular basis.

Haku didn’t know what this man believed he was doing. He didn’t know why he’d agreed to follow the man, he just knew that he had been given a chance, and he wasn’t stupid enough to waste it. He followed the man who had introduced himself as Momochi Zabuza to a small apartment.

“I don’t have a lot of room, but you can have a blanket and use the couch,” Zabuza muttered softly as they moved through the snowy village. Zabuza’s heavy hand was warm on Haku’s thin shoulder.

At the promise of a bed for the night, Haku’s thin knees buckled under his weight and he would have fallen, had Zabuza not been there. With lightening quick reflexes, the man lifted the boy into his arms and carried him back to the apartment he owned. Haku snuggled closer to the warmth of the man, exhaustion flooding his body. He didn’t care if this man would use him for entertainment, he didn’t care if this man decided to hurt him, all that mattered to him was the fact that he wouldn’t be sleeping in the street tonight. His eyes closed as he fell into sleep, feeling safe within the powerful arms of this strange man.

“What’s your name kid?” Zabuza asked, his deep voice softly caressing Haku’s ears.

“Sh-Shiori H-Haku,” he answered faintly.

“Haku, ne? Close your eyes. I’ll show you the apartment tomorrow,” Zabuza muttered.

“Thank you,” Haku whispered, shivering. He closed his eyes and let himself fall into the dark of sleep. In Zabuza’s arms he felt safer then he’d felt in a long time.

“Keh,” Zabuza snorted softly to himself. “You’re getting soft in your old age.”

-.-.-.-

When Haku woke up, he was scared. He couldn’t remember where he was or what had happened. He was in a building, on a soft couch. He was warm. Shaking in fear, afraid that he would be punished for having not left the home of whomever he had to entertain the night before, he rose from the couch. He was still dressed, so he probably hadn’t done anything too excessive. And his body wasn’t sore. In fact, he felt much better then he had in a long time.

“You finally awake, kid?”

“Where am I?” Haku asked softly, his mind remembering only the bridge last night.

“You’re at my apartment. You came home with me last night. You’re mine now,” Zabuza answered softly.

“I’m yours?” Haku asked softly, he couldn’t believe that. How did a person belong to somebody else? He bowed his head and shook it slowly. “What are you talking about?”

“You pledged yourself to me last night, boy. You will work with me and train with me and eventually, you will be shinobi.”

“Me; a shinobi?”

“Yes. I do not repeat myself boy. You seemed intelligent last night. Don’t prove me wrong today,” Zabuza growled softly.

“I’m sorry!” Haku quickly apologized, bowing respectfully to the older man.

“Are you hungry kid?” Zabuza asked softly, gesturing at his large table.

“Yes sir,” Haku answered honestly. “What do I have to do for something to eat?”

“What? Not a damn thing. I have to get your strength back up, else you’ll die in training,” Zabuza stated matter-of-factly.

“I’m sorry, but what was your name again?” Haku asked softly, standing still before the couch he’d slept on.

“Momochi Zabuza. Don’t ask again. I won’t tell you what it is again, got it boy?”

“Yes sir,” Haku answered, bowing respectfully.

“Are you going to come and eat or are you just going to smell it?”

“I-I’m sorry?” Haku asked softly.

“You live with me, you eat with me.”

“Th-thank you,” Haku whispered, fear pooling in his gut at the thought of what this meal would cost him. He moved to the table and sat in the only available chair across from Zabuza.
Blood and Snow: Learning by hanyouelf
Haku was smiling, happy for the first time in a while. It had been so long since he was allowed to smile, allowed to be a child. Zabuza had given him the childhood he hadn’t had, the childhood that had been stolen from him. Haku loved Zabuza for it, loved that he had given Haku a home so freely. Well, he would be a tool for Zabuza, but he was willing to be that, if this man would only feed him, and let him sleep inside.

He was walking along the path, his mind on how much he needed to thank Zabuza for saving him, for helping him when he had nothing to offer in return. He was trying to think of something good, something he could do besides cleaning, which he did readily around their shared home. As he walked, his mind was elsewhere, until a patch of white fur distracted him.

“A… a bunny?” he asked softly. He wouldn’t have to kill it to survive the night. ‘Would… would Zabuza-san let me keep it?’ he thought fleetingly. He wanted to, he would try to catch it and see if he could keep it. He needed to have something of his own, in the home that he belonged to now.

Smiling to himself, he ran forward, chasing the white fur. If he caught the rabbit, Zabuza would be proud of him, would look at him with that faint, ghost of a smile that would creep along his face when he was watching Haku. He sat his bag down and ran forward, eager to catch the rabbit that had crossed his path. He smiled to himself, as he moved through the forest. The rabbit, startled, took off. But Haku was just as fast. He was surprised at how much easier it was to run now that he lived with Zabuza. He didn’t get worn out quite so quickly, he could move much faster, and he felt so much more alive now. He didn’t know what had happened to cause his parents to hate him so much, but he knew that he was grateful to Zabuza for finding him.

With a cry of success, Haku leapt forward and grabbed the white rabbit around its middle. It struggled before giving up; most likely surprised that he had been caught. Haku was thrilled, he had been able to capture the rabbit, and he would give it to Zabuza, hoping the man would allow him to keep it.

Holding the still rabbit tightly, he grabbed his pack and returned to the path to the home he shared with Zabuza. He wanted to hurry home and give it to the powerful man, hoping he could keep it. He’d never had a pet before.

As he walked though, the rabbit started to squirm in his arms, fighting for the freedom it once had. Haku held onto it, holding it as tightly as he could, hoping that he could keep it. If he let it go, he wouldn’t be worth very much. He had to prove that he was worthy, he had to. And he wanted to keep the rabbit. He was walking slowly, holding it tightly to his chest but it squirmed free.

Hot tears gathered in his eyes and he watched helplessly as the rabbit ran from him. His hopes for a pet were crushed. He folded his hands, bowed his head shamefully and made to run forward. He didn’t want to think that he’d lost his proof of pride and his talent.

“Lose something kid?” Zabuza’s deep voice called softly.

Haku looked up and was surprised to see Zabuza’s bandaged face standing in the trees. He was holding the white rabbit that had run away from him, watching it squirm pointlessly in his powerful grip. “Y-you found it?”

Zabuza nodded and gestured toward their home with his head. “Let’s go kid.”

“Can… can I keep it?” Haku asked softly, pointing his pleading eyes at the older man.

Zabuza rolled his eyes, completely aware of the fact that he couldn’t say no to Haku. “You can keep it if you take care of it. Got it?”

“Thank you!” Haku cried happily, hugging the man.

“Get off,” Zabuza sighed, pushing at the small form. “When we get home, you have to build it something to stay in. It can’t be allowed to roam freely, got it?”

“Yes sir!” Haku smiled.

Zabuza turned his head forward. He’d followed the child to make sure nothing happened to him, and it ended up with a rabbit. He had no doubt that Haku would care for the rabbit, but he did know that he would be helping to care for the rabbit. It could prove to be useful, if it was trained right.

And Haku, though he was loath to admit it aloud, was rather adorable at his side, singing happily as he moved forward. He couldn’t stop himself from wanting to protect the child he’d rescued. He couldn’t stop the desire to keep him safe, though he knew that would be wasted on him. Haku needed to learn to do things alone. He couldn’t rely on others all the time. He knew that, but he couldn’t stop himself from protecting Haku, he was too cute to be allowed out alone.

Muttering to himself, he sighed and shook his head, “I’m going soft in my old age.”

v-v-v

Haku fell into the cool water of the tub, relaxing at the feel of the water, rushing over his body. He smiled to himself and enjoyed the feel of the bath, the first he’d had in a long time. He was grateful to Zabuza for the place to stay, for the food he’d been given and for this bathroom, this wonderful bathroom where he could safely bathe. It wouldn’t last, this was too good to be true, but Haku was thankful for the place to stay, grateful for the comfort of the bed he was given, grateful for the peace he had. He would do whatever it took to keep this man near him, to keep this place he could stay in.

“Kid,” Zabuza’s voice called through the wood of the door. He knocked on the door and waited for a moment before opening the door, without waiting for any response. By instinct alone, Haku reacted. Throwing the water up to protect himself, he couldn’t stop the ice that flew at the man intruding on his personal space. “What the fuck is that?” Zabuza growled in surprise, dodging the ice that flew at him, though not missing it completely. He couldn’t stop his blatant staring as warm blood trickled down his cheek.

“I’m so sorry!” Haku cried, jumping from the bath, rushing to attend to Zabuza’s needs. “I didn’t… I know it’s wrong, I’m sorry!”

“What are you talking about? What’s wrong with it?”

“I… my mommy told me it was wrong to play with water like that,” Haku whispered, dropping his hands to his side when he realized that Zabuza didn’t want him paying any attention to his wound. “I’ve tried to keep myself from doing it.”

“There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s great. I’m going to have you train and learn to control it better, do you understand?” Zabuza asked. “I want you to be able to manipulate any water no matter what.”

“I’m… I’m not bad?” Haku asked softly, blinking his tear-filled eyes.

“No. It’s fantastic,” Zabuza answered, a grin dancing over his face while he wrapped his powerful arms around the thin body. Haku shivered in Zabuza’s arms before tears broke free. He shuddered as he tried to stop the tears, but he couldn’t. Relief flooded his small form as he realized that Zabuza didn’t seem to mind.

“I-I’m sorry!” Haku whimpered, wrapping his arms around Zabuza’s waist.

“It’s fine. Cry if you must,” Zabuza answered.

“Thank you Zabuza-san,” Haku sobbed softly.

“I’m definitely getting soft in my old age,” Zabuza groused softly.

v-v-v

“Faster boy! I said, move faster!” Zabuza yelled, throwing a stick at the thin boy before him. Haku managed to avoid most of the stick, stumbling as the last quarter of the stick slammed into the back of his knees.

“Get up.”

“I’m sorry Zabuza-san!” Haku whimpered, kneeling and bowing before rising to his feet. He bowed his head, refusing to look at Zabuza, the man who had taken in an orphan, the man who had trained that orphan and the man who had to be beyond disappointed with the orphan for being such a failure.

“Don’t apologize. Get better. You know what you’re doing wrong. Now, fix it. You know what you need to do to correct your mistakes. A shinobi is a tool; if that tool is no longer useful or if that tool never does what it should, than it’s thrown away. As a shinobi, you pledge your life to your master, being as useful as you can so that you are never thrown away. I am your master. Pledge yourself to me, never become something I can’t use, do you understand?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san, I understand,” Haku murmured, bowing his head in shame. “I am a tool, a tool that you can use for whatever purpose you would like. If I do not please you, then please, dispose of me,” Haku muttered, kneeling once more before the man who had saved his life and the man who would now decide his future and his fate.

“Your pledge is accepted and I shall allow you to continue. I’m going to take you to see a friend of mine who will help you learn about points throughout the body so that with a single pin, you could destroy a person. That will come in two month’s time. Until then, we’re going to work on your chakra,” Zabuza stated.

“My chakra?” Haku asked, cocking his head to the side. “Is that what allows me to manipulate the water?”

“No. That is a bloodline limit. You are able to do so because you have chakra. But you don’t necessarily need the chakra when you perform your limit, do you understand?”

“What is chakra?” Haku asked softly, ashamed of his ignorance.

“Chakra is something that flows within your body. You use it when you focus. You use it when you want to perform an attack that will completely destroy your enemy,” Zabuza said. “Chakra is also something that will keep you alive. When you are in a fight, so long as you keep a balanced control over your own chakra, you will gain the upper hand and more than likely, win the fight.”

“I don’t want to fight,” Haku murmured, turning his head from Zabuza’s piercing gaze.

“Did you not pledge yourself to me? Did you not agree to be my tool, to do whatever I asked of you, no matter what?” Zabuza growled, pulling Haku’s face around so they were looking into one another’s eyes.

“I… I did,” Haku sighed finally.

“Then you will fight,” Zabuza answered.

v-v-v

So long. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d been without food, without a place to sleep, without someplace to call home. He’d always been on the run, avoiding everything and everyone who would probably hurt him. Since coming into Zabuza’s care, he hadn’t had to fight to protect himself, he hadn’t had to fight for food to survive. He was cared for, he was protected and he was being taught to protect himself when he was alone- a skill necessary for a boy who looked like nothing more than a weak little girl. But there was nothing he had to do to repay Zabuza for his kindness. He didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know what to think or say, he could only obey Zabuza’s commands.

He could think of nothing other than bodily pleasure to repay Zabuza back. The man had never asked for anything in return, had only given. Haku could repay Zabuza; he knew how to use his body to bring pleasure. He knew how to give it and he knew how to use his body to get people to leave him alone. Licking his lips nervously, Haku moved silently through the home he shared with his master and savior, one thing intent on his mind.

Knocking on the door, he waited patiently for Zabuza’s deep voice to answer his call. When he was given permission to enter the room, he opened the door and smiled at the older man.

“Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured, blinking his eyes slowly.

“What do you want, kid?” Zabuza asked. Something was off with the younger shinobi-in-training.

“Zabuza-san, I want to give you something to thank you for saving me, to thank you for training me, for feeding me, and for helping me. I want to do something that’ll make you feel good,” Haku answered. He stalked forward, placing his hands on older man’s strong, sturdy shoulders.

“What are you talking about?” Zabuza growled.

“Lie back and let me pleasure you,” Haku suggested softly.

Before Zabuza could react, Haku’s thin form was straddling his larger form. He ground his hips forward, pushing suggestively forward. He could feel Zabuza’s body reacting to his own and was pleased that he could offer this to his master, to his savior.

“What are you doing?” Zabuza growled, pushing Haku from his lap.

“Do I not please you?” Haku asked softly, bowing his head.

“You’re a kid!” Zabuza yelled. He stood, towering over his younger companion. “You’re gorgeous kid, but you’re a kid!”

“I’m used to it though,” Haku whispered softly. “I know how to do it all.”

“You’re a kid,” Zabuza answered. “I will not take advantage of a child.”

“How can I repay you then?” Haku asked, desperate. He fell to his knees before the other, throwing his hands around Zabuza’s waist. “What can I do to make it all up to you?”

“Become a shinobi. Be powerful and useful to me,” Zabuza answered softly.

“Is there nothing I can do now to make it up to you?” Haku asked, pleading softly.

“No. You can’t do anything for me now. When you are older, when you are a man, I will allow you to do as you want with me. But I can not, not with a child.”

“Don’t I attract you?” Haku asked, desperately. He had tears dancing in his dark eyes as he gazed at the older man.

“Of course you attract me, but I’m not going to do it with you. Listen to me. Stop bringing it up,” Zabuza growled, pulling the thin boy to his chest. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

“You won’t because I want to do it with you,” Haku answered, melting against the firm chest of his protector.

“It’s time for you and me to sleep. We’ve got to get up early so that we can practice some fighting before I leave. I have a very important job to carry out tomorrow.”

“C-can I sleep in here?” Haku asked softly.

“Keep your clothes on and no touching,” Zabuza ordered softly, finding he was unable to deny Haku just about anything.

“Thank you, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered, wrapping himself around Zabuza’s larger form. “I promise, I won’t do it again,” Haku swore.

Haku closed his eyes and allowed a moment of peace to wash over his body. Zabuza wouldn’t do anything to take advantage of him, not until he was old enough to engage in sex, but he was confused too. He had already done it; he’d already trained himself to accept another man’s body. But Zabuza was determined to keep him from doing anything, though he should have been. He was confused. He hated not knowing what was going on; if Zabuza would use him, than he would have some idea of what was going on. He hated being so confused.

“Good night,” Zabuza growled softly, lying back with the boy cradled to his chest for the first of many nights to follow in similar fashion.

“Good night, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt so safe. The last time he’d felt so warm and loved.
Blood and Snow: Resolve by hanyouelf
“Clear your mind, focus on the targets, and use your speed,” Zabuza growled.

Haku nodded and closed his eyes as he took a deep breath. He would do the best that he could, he would please his master and he would become the best shinobi, all for Zabuza. He pulled the pins from the pouch on his hip and emptied his mind.

Using his speed, feeling his body’s sinuous movements as he rushed forward, he threw his right arm out and launched two pins at the assault dummy Zabuza had set up for him to practice with. Stopping himself, he watched the thin projectiles rush forward, crashing into the wooden dummy, sticking close to the targets, but not in them.

“You were close, but you weren’t good enough,” Zabuza told him coldly.

Haku hated Zabuza during training. At any other time, the older shinobi would be kind and open, warm and encouraging. But during training, Zabuza was a different person; he was cold and calculating, allowing him to be the perfect warrior, ensuring he was still alive to take orphans in off of the street. Haku wanted nothing more than to please this man, but he couldn’t seem to accomplish that. He nodded and retrieved his pins from the dummy, returning them to the pouch on his hip.

“You almost got it that time. Do it again, kid,” Zabuza ordered.

“Yes Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, bowing his head. He turned his back to the older man, backing up again, positioning himself to do it again.

“Clear your mind. Focus on the targets. You’ve got enough speed, you just need to focus,” Zabuza growled. His voice was gravely and harsh as he glared at the younger man.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, smiling at his master.

He cleared his mind once more and focused only on the wooden dummy targets. He wouldn’t miss, he wouldn’t miss. He couldn’t miss. If he missed, he would disappoint his master and he couldn’t do that. Not when Zabuza had invested so much in him. They had been at this all day, it was a hard lesson but one he was grateful for. It was teaching him to focus, to attack with precision and to move with speed.

Rushing forward once more, he launched a pair of pins at the dummy and forced himself to stop, watching as his attack continued forward, striking the dummy within the pair of targets.

“Good job kid!” Zabuza spoke loudly.

“Thank you, Zabuza-san.”

“Do it again,” Zabuza answered.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“Sit back Zabuza-san,” Haku ordered softly, his voice carrying in the quiet of the small apartment.

“I’m tired and I’m sore kid. Unless you’re about to feed me, I’m getting in the shower,” he answered impatiently.

“Please sit back,” Haku asked.

Sighing and rolling his eyes, Zabuza did as he was asked, falling into the chair that Haku gestured towards, sitting back. “Happy?”

“Close your eyes, Zabuza-san,” Haku ordered.

Zabuza closed his eyes and waited for whatever was going to happen next. He wasn’t expecting, however, the warm hands that caressed his shoulders and back. Moaning softly, he let his head fall forward, enjoying the feel of the strong hands working the tension out of his back.

“Where did you learn to do that?” Zabuza asked, his voice nearly purring in pleasure.

“When I was visiting the healer last month, while you were on your job, I learned to ease tension and heal wounds. You haven’t been wounded much lately, so I haven’t had to do anything,” Haku answered, very much aware that he was bordering the edge of babbling. But when Zabuza was around, he couldn’t seem to stop himself. He knew that it was bad and he needed to stop, but he couldn’t.

“You’re very good at it,” Zabuza purred. Haku’s small hands danced over his large shoulders, finding every kink and easing it slowly until nothing hurt anymore.

“I hope I pleased you, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured, pulling his hands from Zabuza’s body when he decided that the massage was good enough.

“You did, Haku,” Zabuza answered.

Excitement rushed through Haku’s body at the sound of his name falling from Zabuza’s lips. A blush colored his pale cheeks and he bowed his head, desperately trying to hide the smile dancing across his face. “While you take a shower, Zabuza-san, I’ll make you something to eat.”

“That’s a plan,” Zabuza nodded.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Haku couldn’t remember the last time he had been sick. He couldn’t remember the last time he was unable to get out of bed either. Zabuza wouldn’t be happy with him, but he hadn’t done it on purpose. He really hadn’t. He hadn’t intended to get sick; he hadn’t intended to be so weak he could barely move; it was one of those things that just happened.

And when Zabuza returned from the job he was on later in the afternoon, he would be pissed beyond belief. It had become a ritual between the two of them. When Zabuza returned, Haku would be waiting to massage the tension of the job from his master’s shoulders while the other would melt, he would shower and while he was showering, Haku would make him a quick meal. It was a routine, something they had been doing for nearly a year. And it was an excuse for Haku to touch Zabuza on a regular basis.

When he returned later that day, Haku would have to be up and waiting, he wouldn’t miss this opportunity to touch the man he loved. The moments were rare and when he got the opportunity, he refused to pass it up.

A cough racked his thin body and he fought the urge to vomit as he hugged his stomach. His body was in so much pain, he couldn’t remember the last time he’d hurt so much. Even after training with Zabuza, he wasn’t in as much pain. He was so cold, but he couldn’t stop sweating and shivering. When Zabuza returned, he would have to hide the fact that he was sick. Being sick wouldn’t kill him anyways.

A shivering rush of adrenaline ran through his weakened body as Zabuza stumbled through the door, half-dead on his feet.

“Za-Zabuza-san,” Haku stuttered softly, moving sluggishly to the chair set up for Zabuza’s massages.

“Not today kid,” Zabuza growled breathlessly. “I’m showering and going to bed. Be in the bed if you’re sleeping with me tonight.”

“Za-Zabuza-san?” Haku asked softly, confusion dancing in his small voice.

“I’m not going to repeat myself, got it?” Zabuza nearly yelled.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku whimpered, ignoring the way his body protested as he bowed before turning to the bed he shared with his master, to the bed they’d shared for nearly a year and a half.

As he moved, he felt sluggish, the world turning on it’s axis to confuse him and force him to stumble. He would have hit the ground had Zabuza not been there, his large arms wrapped around his middle, holding him.

“You’re sick,” Zabuza stated softly, one large hand making its way to Haku’s forehead.

“I… I’m sorry,” Haku whispered, weakly squirming in Zabuza’s arms.

“Don’t apologize. You shouldn’t have gotten out of bed,” Zabuza remarked, lifting Haku easily, holding him bridal style.

“I wanted to be there when you got home,” Haku explained meekly. Hearing himself, he knew that it was a weak excuse, that there was really no need for him to be up and he had just been greedy.

“You’re in the house, aren’t you?” Zabuza asked in return. “That’s enough. My job was hard today, I’m not going to stay awake much longer,” he told him in a voice that he used only when lying in bed. “Now close your eyes and try to get some sleep,” he ordered, laying the smaller body on the large bed.

“I have to… have to take care of Zabuza-san,” Haku whimpered.

“No you don’t. I took care of myself before I found you,” Zabuza growled harshly. “I can take care of myself. Take care of yourself.”

“I’m sorry,” Haku whispered before turning away from his master, tears in his eyes.

Zabuza left the room quietly, refusing to give in to the tears of the smaller boy. He was a thirteen year old child, for crying out loud, he would not be run by the boy. After a quick shower, he was tired after all and not concerned about the kid, he dressed in sleeping pants and joined the small form in the bed.

“Hey, kid,” Zabuza murmured.

Haku didn’t answer, merely turned his head to acknowledge that he had heard his master speaking to him. He felt worse, he was clammy and he hurt; his head pounded, his body ached, and his heart hurt. He blinked sluggishly at Zabuza and forced a pained smile to his cheeks.

“Come here kid,” Zabuza muttered. He just knew he was going to regret this, but he couldn’t let the kid suffer, not really.

Haku rolled so that he was facing the other and nearly forgot to breathe when Zabuza wrapped his powerful arms around the sick boy. Sure, Zabuza had found some way to hold him when they were sleeping, but he had never done it while Haku was still awake. Something about making sure kids didn’t get the wrong idea. As he pulled the slim form against his own, Zabuza pressed a kiss to Haku’s heated brow, closing his eyes so he didn’t have to see the blush that danced across his flushed skin.

“If you aren’t better in the morning, I’m taking you to the doctor, got it?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku nodded, wrapping his arms around Zabuza’s body, falling into dreamless sleep.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Haku moved fluidly through the obstacle course Zabuza had set up for him. He had been training for months to be the best for Zabuza, and he was proving it to him now. So far, he’d managed to hit every target perfectly and he’s moved faster then he had before. He was desperate to prove himself to his master; to the man he had pledged himself to, no matter how long he had to wait.

When he finished his run through the course, finishing it off with pins piercing the wooden dummy at the end of the course, sticking out from the targets Zabuza had carved into them. Haku kneeled at the end of the course, waiting for Zabuza’s comments.

“Well kid, you’ve passed my test. You did very well,” Zabuza murmured softly.

“Thank you, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, bowing low to his master.

“You’ve been practicing with your water, haven’t you?” Zabuza asked.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered again.

“Let me see what you’ve managed thus far.”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured. Closing his eyes, he focused on the water in the skies, the clouds that danced through the heavens, the water from the ground from the previous rain and the sweat from his own body. With a deep breath, he formed the mirrors he’d been working on. He’d managed to create portals through the icy mirrors, using his chakra with his bloodline’s limit to move like water from image to image. He hadn’t shown this trick to his master yet, he wanted to save it to show to his master in a desperate attempt to get his master’s approval.

He was pleased with the mirrors that surrounded his master and before the other could react, Haku had melded into the nearest mirror. Using his ability to control water and his chakra, he created replicas within the mirrors, surrounding his master. “Does this please you, Zabuza-san?” he asked softly, bowing his head.

Zabuza smiled to the boy and nodded his approval. “Very good Haku. What else can you do with this?”

“I haven’t managed to do much with it yet, Zabuza-san, but I can move from mirror to mirror, along with the reflections of myself, that way, nobody knows where I am.”

“I want you to practice doing this. It’s very impressive,” Zabuza murmured. “Let it down, and come along. You’ve passed my tests,” Zabuza smiled.

A blush decorated the multiple Haku’s faces as he nodded under his master’s approval and did as he was asked. He released the mirrors, letting the water fall back into the ground without anymore than a whisper of sound. Zabuza nodded his approval, impressed at what the boy had been doing on his own.

“What am I going to be doing now, Zabuza-san?” Haku asked his master softly.

“I’m going to get you a mask, and you’ll wear it, watching as I work my jobs. You’re going to be working with me, observing me as I work. What I do, you will do. You will learn to kill,” Zabuza murmured.

“K-kill?” Haku stuttered softly.

“Yes. You have to kill.”

“I don’t… I’ll fight for you, Zabuza-san, but I don’t know if I can kill,” Haku whispered.

“You’ll kill if you want to stay,” Zabuza growled, turning his face to his charge, anger clear and evident in every line of his handsome face.

Haku bowed his head and nodded to Zabuza. “I understand.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Haku watched as Zabuza wrapped his face in his bandage mask, hiding his handsome face from the world. Haku was fascinated. When Zabuza covered his face, it was like he was a different person. There was something that was amazingly cold and hardened about him. His warm eyes, eyes that he used to peer into Haku’s soul with, were cold and stony, capable of murder without remorse.

“Here’s your mask kid,” Zabuza muttered, handing him the plain mask. There was nothing distinguishing about this mask at all. He wasn’t important enough for anything so fancy. He had seen the fancier masks. The masks of the person who fought against Zabuza- the masks of the people who were hateful and skilled and were decorated with animal faces and disorienting color schemes; masks that were designed to throw off the person they were fighting against.

“Thank you,” Haku answered, pleased to have anything that Zabuza would gift him with.

“You don’t get a different mask until you prove yourself worthy of it,” Zabuza explained quickly. He gestured with his chin for Haku to put it on and Haku obeyed, never doing anything more, never doing anything less. He was a tool for Zabuza, and he would allow Zabuza to use him as a tool, no matter what the tool was needed to do.

“Of course, Zabuza-san,” Haku smiled, bowing to his master.

Watching as Zabuza secured his large zanbatou to his back and stretched his arms over his head. “Are you ready kid?” he asked, his deep voice rumbling through the quiet home.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, bowing because he couldn’t show his smile to his master. The plain mask hid his face, obscured his identity and made him nondescript. He wasn’t a person, not anymore. Now, he was a faceless, nameless warrior following behind this god of a man who could do whatever it took to accomplish his goals.

He followed quietly, letting Zabuza take him to wherever they were going, to the job they were going to complete.

“Haku,” Zabuza called softly, his deep voice ringing out in the silence of their surroundings. When Haku’s masked face looked up at his name, he smiled as the older man gestured him forward. “This is going to be an assassination. You are to move as quietly as possible, do not make a sound. You are to watch what I do and you are to remember it. You will be completing assignments such as these before too long. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, bowing his masked face. He smiled behind his mask, glad that he could study the man who had taken him in without hesitation, who had become his master and his entire world. He wouldn’t mess this up, he would make Zabuza proud of him, he would do what he could to make Zabuza smile at him even when he was the cold killer.

Haku was afraid of what it meant to be a killer, but he knew that if Zabuza asked it of him, he would steel himself, he would make himself learn so that he would be useful, be a pleasing tool for Zabuza. He would prove himself to Zabuza. He would not be a failure to the only man who’d ever given him any encouragement, he would not fail this man who gave and demanded nothing.

“The objective tonight,” Zabuza’s voice interrupted Haku’s thoughts. “Is to take the leader of some gang out. We’re going to make a lot of money with this one.” Haku didn’t answer, merely nodded. “Watch and learn what happens.”

Haku nodded once more and followed after the older man. He was going to learn to kill. He would learn to kill, even though he didn’t want to, he would learn.
Blood and Snow: Determination pt1 by hanyouelf
Zabuza was deadly. Though Haku was faster, Zabuza was much more skilled. He knew where he was going and he knew that he was going to kill; he accepted that fact and moved with confidence. Haku however, was unsure of where he was going, what he was doing. He was following, learning as he moved, following his master and savior. He followed the man clad in dark pants and naked chest. Zabuza was moving through the trees with determination. He moved fluidly, easily able to keep up with Zabuza. He wouldn’t disappoint, he wouldn’t be left behind. His needles were tucked neatly into a pouch on his hip, hidden and easily accessed. He would make Zabuza proud. If he couldn’t repay Zabuza the only way he knew how, he would do whatever it took to make the man proud. And it was so much harder to do when Zabuza had his work clothing on.

Haku watched Zabuza with his impassively masked face; Zabuza’s form was taut as he moved. He was graceful and deadly, and Haku loved watching him. He observed his master, watching as the man moved silently. His large sword, which should have hindered his movements, lay on his back. He stalked through the shadows outside the large building his target lived within. Haku couldn’t believe how fluid, how graceful and deadly his master was.

Zabuza smiled at the silent form of Haku. Haku who moved with all the grace of a dancer, or fully-trained ninja, his face hidden by the plain white mask. Haku was innocence, pure and beautiful in his snow-white innocence. Zabuza hated and loved that about his young charge.

Gesturing Haku forward with a finger, he pointed to Haku, then to his eyes. The brunette nodded and moved with Zabuza. The target was reclining behind the large house, taking in the stars for the last time. Zabuza moved forward, a small kunai appearing in his hands. He just had to kill, not slaughter. While Haku watched with wide-eyes behind his mask, Zabuza slid the sharp kunai across the man’s throat. He never even knew what happened.

The worst part, what made it hardest to watch, was Zabuza’s bandaged face. Just because the man’s throat had been easily sliced through, did not mean it was a clean death. Blood had spurted, covering Zabuza with blood and gore. Zabuza’s powerful hands were covered in the crimson liquid, his cheeks bore blood and Zabuza’s dark eyes were filled with insanity; even from where Haku stood, he could see it.

Zabuza turned to the silent, frightened Haku and motioned to the child to follow. Haku was horrified. He’d managed not to throw up at the disgusting sight. Zabuza moved forward, in the direction of their shared home. Haku was quiet the entire trip home, and although it had been necessary, Zabuza hated that hew as the one who’d done it to the boy. Haku was too damn pure and if he wasn’t sullied, he’d never survive.

Zabuza watched with little concern on his face as Haku stumbled through their darkened home. That didn’t mean he didn’t care, he just didn’t want it to be too obvious to the child. Haku had removed his mask and Zabuza could see how very pale he was. Bright streaks danced on his thin cheeks, his skin was sick looking, and the boy was shivering as he stepped forward.

“Excuse me, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured before running into the bathroom. Zabuza watched the closed door with narrowed eyes as Haku threw up. He could hear the retching.

Haku couldn’t believe how stupid he had been. He had allowed Zabuza to see how truly weak he was. The man would never respect him, would never keep him around if he was just going to throw up after something simple like that. A job was a job; there was no need to be so sick afterwards. Haku couldn’t stop himself though. Zabuza had looked so demonic. The man hadn’t done anything. The man hadn’t had a chance to fight. While part of him was glad of that, after all it meant less opportunity for Zabuza to be hurt, the other part of him had been horrified and disgusted by the fact that Zabuza could kill so carelessly.

Slumped over, he dry-heaved, tears pouring down his cheeks as his body spit out stomach acids. He was weak and he would surely be thrown away for it. When he was done, his body shuddering from throwing up, he stood and shakily left the bathroom. Zabuza was blessedly absent and Haku moved quickly, determined to get into the bed and feign sleep before Zabuza could say anything. Perhaps he would be permitted one last night beside the man he loved?

“Kid,” Zabuza’s voice echoed in the quiet apartment.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, silently congratulating himself on his strong voice. He closed his eyes, knowing that Zabuza was going to tell him to leave, to not come back and stay away because he was unworthy.

“Are you coming to bed or not?”

“Z-zabuza-san?” Haku stuttered, his eyes flying open before he hurried to the bedroom door.

Lying covered in blankets, Zabuza was colored in shadows. His handsome face was exposed once more and he lay on his side, waiting for Haku to join him in the bed. “Are you sleeping in here or not?”

“Let me take my dirty clothes off. I’ll join you in just a moment,” Haku whispered, trying not to cry. He was so relieved that he wasn’t being kicked out. When he’d disrobed and put on the pants Zabuza made him wear to bed, Haku quickly joined his master and lay in peaceful content. He wouldn’t sleep well, he knew he wouldn’t, but he didn’t have to worry about being discarded.

“Haku,” Zabuza’s voice whispered on his ear.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered. He turned his pretty face to the older man and blinked innocently at him.

“Don’t throw up anymore. You did well for the first time, but don’t throw up anymore. Got it?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered, defeat playing in his voice.

“Come over here and go to sleep,” Zabuza ordered softly, waiting for Haku to snuggle close to him before relaxing.

“Haku,” Zabuza’s deep voice growled.

“Yes, Zabuza-san?”

“Collect your senbon. We’ve got work this evening. You’re going to prove yourself worthy to me. Otherwise, you will leave until you’re worthy to be with me. You are a tool, something that I can use, did you agree to that?”

“Yes,” Haku whispered.

“Then you are going to do what I tell you. You’ll be destroying someone tonight.”

“D-do I have to?” Haku stuttered softly, his large eyes looking up sadly.

“Yes. You have to destroy. You can not be useful to me if you can not kill,” Zabuza murmured, reclining on the closest chair. He smirked behind his bandages. Haku hated to do anything that hurt others, but if he was going to be useful, he would get over it. At Haku’s age, Zabuza had already killed, had enjoyed the thrill of the hot blood pouring over his hands and the energy as the body’s stilled forever.

“I don’t want to kill anyone. But I will kill for you, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered, bowing his head and looking away in shame. He wouldn’t be useful if he continued on. Haku had to kill for Zabuza. The only time he’d killed, he’d nearly been destroyed. Zabuza had saved him from oblivion, and now, Zabuza wanted him to return to that state.

“That’s what I want to hear.”

Stowing his senbon needles carefully at his waist, Haku pulled the plain white mask out and carefully put it on. He would be the one to perform their job this evening; Zabuza would take nothing else but his complete obedience. He could do nothing but obey if he wanted to stay with Zabuza. And although it would hurt him, although it would make him sick, he would do it. He couldn’t disobey because if he did, he would lose Zabuza.

“If you do well on this job, you’ll get a decorated mask,” Zabuza murmured; his voice low behind the bandages.

“Yes,” Haku answered, bowing his head to his master. He smiled and he looked away, his face hidden behind the plain mask he wore. ‘I won’t let this bother me; I won’t let this bother me,’ he told himself. He wouldn’t be destroyed by the fact that he couldn’t… he didn’t want to kill; he didn’t want to destroy another person’s life like Zabuza could. Zabuza was different, he wasn’t bothered by the fact that he could kill remorselessly. He was a killer, he had trained and lived and worked as a killer. Haku wasn’t. All Haku wanted to do was obey Zabuza, please Zabuza, help Zabuza, and care for Zabuza. All he wanted revolved around Zabuza.

Following the older man out the door, Haku smiled to himself and steeled himself. He would kill, and Zabuza would keep him.
Blood and Snow: Determination pt2 by hanyouelf
Author's Notes:
There is a Haku lime in this chapter. If you don't like it or are uncomfortable reading it, let me know and I'll summarize it for you.
Haku closed his eyes as he listened to Zabuza speaking coldly, his body rigid and tense with the task at hand. He knew what was going to happen, he just wasn’t sure he could perform as Zabuza wanted, as the man demanded. He would do his best however. His target was an evil man. That’s all he had to remember about it.

His target was a money launderer. Apparently he’d stolen quite a bit of yen from their client. Apparently, he’d made a hefty sum on the side while continuing to rip off their client. This, of course, led to a lot of trouble for their client and his family and their business endeavors. Their client wanted the target dead; badly enough that he’d very willingly paid the hefty sum to have the highly reputed demon of the mist. The target often frequented a gentlemen’s service club, seeking actively bodily pleasure. He used the money he made to pay for his often expensive excursion. This, they were going to use against him.

Standing quietly beside Zabuza, Haku mechanically moved through the motions he knew he’d have to go through before moving in. Their client valued the young boys’ company above all. Zabuza, though reluctant to send Haku in, would. He was not ruled by his emotions, nor was he afraid to ruin his young pupil’s immaculate innocence. With the steady patience only the shinobi could afford, Zabuza removed Haku’s plain mask and pulled the shoulder-length chestnut hair into a low ponytail. Without warning to the younger shinobi in training, Zabuza deftly undressed him Haku until the younger stood only in his plain white hakama and dark haori, spread open, revealing a creamy expanse of childish flesh.

“Am I presentable now, Zabuza-san?” Haku asked softly, bowing his head.

“You’ll do fine. First seduce and get him to take you home,” Zabuza ordered softly. “I’ll follow you.” Though the older had a voice as steady as a rock, Zabuza was internally fighting the urge to call this off and keep Haku to himself, fighting the desire to touch and tease and taste his younger companion.

He didn’t miss the hurt look that danced across Haku’s pretty face before he schooled his features into a mask of pouty nonchalance. Zabuza found he was much more desirable that way. Without another word, Haku turned and disappeared into the shady dwelling. Almost immediately, his sharp eyes flew to their client. Closing his eyes quickly before moving forward, Haku schooled his features for one of the hardest things he’d ever had to do.

He maneuvered through the crowded room as though he owned it, ignoring the several lecherous glanced directed at him. He only had eyes for his client and would not be dissuaded. When the man looked up, Haku smiled mischievously before bowing his head as though he were shy. The man smirked before beckoning him to his table.

“How can I help you nii-chan?” Haku asked softly, standing before the table.

“Sit with your nii-chan,” he purred, patting the seat beside his own. “I don’t think I’ve seen you before. What’s your name?”

“You can call me Haku, nii-chan. What do you want me to call you?” he asked, fluttering his eyelashes.

“Just call me nii-chan. When did you start here, Haku?”

“I’ve been here for as long as I can remember, I don’t work in the club. I’m usually taken home by my nii-chan’s,” Haku announced, smiling innocently. Each childish act of seduction had the other grinning a little more wolfishly, had the man scooting ever closer until he wrapped his heavy arm around Haku’s thin shoulders.

“Tell me Haku, are you good at what you do?”

“I’ve never had any complaints before,” Haku answered, snuggling against the man. With his left hand, he slowly started to trace nonsensical patterns on the muscular thigh.

“So far, you’ve none from me,” he answered, his lips’ dancing across Haku’s exposed neck. “Do you want to go to a room?”

“I perform much better at your home or in a hotel room. I don’t do those things here,” Haku answered firmly, and yet with as much innocence as he could muster.

“Well, I guess that means I’m getting a hotel room. You do the whole thing, all the way though, yes?”

“Anything to please my nii-chan,” Haku smiled, licking his lips in an overly exaggerated way. The man watched Haku’s tongue almost obsessively, smiling as the younger shifted closer.

“Let’s go then,” the older man murmured. He rose abruptly, pulling Haku with him. The pretending shinobi in training grimaced behind his companies back before sliding back into his role of seducer and slut. He’d learned long ago that pleasing others with his body earned him money. Money fed him, money clothed him. He’d learned what different sounds men made, learned how to use his mouth to please men, how to use his body and though it often hurt and left him feeling disgusting and used, how to pretend that he enjoyed it all. It was this he fell back on, hoping to deceive this man until he completed the job.

The older man grabbed Haku’s hand and fairly pulled him toward a small area of town, disregarding the looks they got from passing people on the street. Although Haku couldn’t feel Zabuza’s chakra, he knew the man wouldn’t abandon him. He’d promised to be there. Haku would believe that. But he could barely contain the shock he felt when an unmasked Zabuza nodded as he passed. Reassured by the simple gesture, Haku felt himself relax a little. Zabuza would turn around and stalk after them, ensuring Haku’s safety and his need not to do anything with this man.

Haku smiled suggestively at his nii-chan when they stopped in front of a cheap hotel. He had to get him inside and wait patiently for Zabuza to return his senbon.

“Before we start, do you mind I freshen up? I’d like to be clean for you, nii-chan,” Haku murmured, smiling at his new friend.

“Of course, I want you clean too. Come, I’ll show you the bathroom. Do you need any help cleaning up?” the man asked, raising his eyebrow suggestively.

“You’ll be helping me out plenty in a few minutes. Wouldn’t you like to be surprised somewhere more comfortable than the bathroom?”

“I suppose you’re right. But it better be worth my while, boy.” With that, he directed Haku to the bathroom, smirking knowingly as the boy walked away. So far as he knew, he’d have his way over and over and over with the thin boy. He knew only the special ones were allowed to leave. But they were on a tight leash, usually followed to prevent them from escaping Haku was a special boy, given free rein and allowed to leave the club. He must be good.

Haku closed the door behind him and turned the water on in the sink. He raised his chakra slightly, knowing that Zabuza would recognize his chakra signature and find him. He opened the small window and waited, impatient. Finally, Zabuza’s face appeared in his vision.

“You’ve got him?” Zabuza asked.

“He thinks I’m freshening up. I’ll be out in just a few minutes after you give me my senbon, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured.

“You’re going to please him?” Zabuza asked softly.

“No. I don’t want to. But to get him to agree, I had to make him think I would. I plan on stabbing him with my senbon as soon as I return to the room,” Haku answered.

“Listen kid, you’ve got to pleasure him. Make him incoherent and you’ll be able to do your job better. You’re powerful, there’s no doubt about that, but he’s a full grown man who’ll be fighting for his life,” Zabuza muttered.

“I… I don’t want to with him, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered.

“You are shinobi. You will do as your master orders,” Zabuza growled. “You’ll get four senbon. Two for each arm of your haori. Don’t let him touch your haori or you’ll be found out, got it?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered softly, valiantly schooling his features. Silently, he accepted the metal needles and carefully lodged them in the sleeves of his over-sized haori. Carefully, he took it off and sauntered from the bathroom, bare-chested and seemingly possessed of grace and confidence.

Nii-chan was practically drooling appreciatively as Haku returned to his side. With practiced movements, he pushed his own t-shirt off and pulled Haku into his lap. The younger one wanted to cry. Each touch reminded him of his childhood, growing and learning the ways of carnal pleasure. Calling on all of his memories, he moved on the older man, moaning in pain, making it sound pleased. Hating himself, hating his nii-chan, he groaned and arched against the man, barely concealing a wince of disgust as the man came, filling him. He smiled; a smile he hoped showed contentment and satisfaction.

Panting, nii-chan pushed Haku out of his lap and gasped, “I know why you get to leave. The best I’ve had yet.”

Haku smiled as he quickly picked up his haori. “I’m glad I could at the least, bring you pleasure, nii-chan,” he murmured, bowing his pretty head. “I have a gift for you.”

“What is it?”

“Close your eyes, nii-chan,” Haku ordered. He smirked as the older man did as ordered. He closed his eyes and smiled as Haku straddled him once more. “You were very good, nii-chan,” Haku murmured in what he hoped was an appreciative voice. He pressed his lips to nii-chan’s and coaxed the older man’s lips apart with his tongue. While he was distracted, Haku lifted his arms, a pair of sharp senbon into his nii-chan’s neck, smiling as he felt them slide smoothly through muscles and skin. Nii-chan’s lips didn’t stop responding for several long seconds.

When they finally stopped respond, Haku pulled free the second pair of powerful senbon and took aim, stabbing powerfully at all the vital organs on the slowly stiffening body. He only stopped when his eyes began to tear up. He’d killed. Killed in cold blood. Felt the steel as it slid through flesh, through muscles and pierced the man’s body. He’d killed. Zabuza-san couldn’t reject him now. Not when he’d done so much to prove himself worthy. Pulling his bloody senbon free, he unmasked his chakra, letting Zabuza know he was done. In movements that could only be described as mechanical, Haku redressed and waited patiently for his master.

He was tying his haori tightly, covering as much skin as possible when Zabuza finally made his appearance. “Did you have any problems with him?” he asked, his powerful, deep voice all business in the room.

“No, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, amazed his voice didn’t crack.

“Did he hurt you?”

“No, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured.

He stood to the side as Zabuza moved in and checked Haku’s work. The target was colored in blood and didn’t appear to be breathing. Because it was their job, Zabuza had to be certain. Holding one hand over the man’s nose and mouth and one on his bloodied neck, he clicked disapprovingly as he felt a faint puff of wind in beat with a faint pulse.

“I never knew you were so ruthless, Haku,” Zabuza smirked. “But you didn’t complete your task.”

“He wasn’t breathing when I pulled my senbon free,” Haku answered softly.

“He’s breathing faintly now. The dead do not just start to breath,” Zabuza growled softly. “But you did everything I asked of you and you didn’t lose yourself. You’ll get your new mask at home.”

“Thank you, Zabuza-san,” Haku mumbled softly.

“Let me finish this and we’ll go home.”

Haku nodded and folded his hands before him, desperate to ignore the still warm blood on his hands. He didn’t want to watch as Zabuza plunged his sword through the man’s throat. The man, whom he had thought dead, gagged and spasmed before falling still.

“Congratulations Haku,” Zabuza announced. “You are shinobi.” Haku didn’t bother to respond, desperate to push the image of a bloody nii-chan from his mind. He didn’t want to think about it anymore, didn’t want to remember the man’s touches, and didn’t want to replay the senbon sliding into the man’s body. “Put your mask back on and we’ll get out of here. I’m ready to go home,” Zabuza murmured as he handed Haku his plain mask and pouch of senbon. “Before you put the others away, clean them off,” Zabuza ordered.

Mechanically, Haku obeyed Zabuza. He wiped the surgical needles clean and slid them into his pouch. Slowly, he tied his white mask onto his head, hiding his face away. Behind the mask, Haku allowed his face to crumble, hiding his tears though he didn’t truly want to. He wanted to sit, hidden away somewhere and weep: weep for himself; weep for the man he had caused to die; weep for his body that had been completely violated.

“Haku, you’ll practice with the senbon and perfect your throwing abilities, do you understand?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku whispered.


-.-.-.-.-


When they had returned home, Haku didn’t murmur anything, just moved quickly to the bathroom, keeping himself from vomiting. He couldn’t, however, stop the tears. He stripped quickly and slid into the shower, desperate to cleanse himself. In the falling water, he could pretend that he wasn’t crying. Zabuza wouldn’t be irritated with him for being weak. He scrubbed himself, scrubbed until his skin was pink and tingled. And all the while, he sobbed silently, letting himself cry for what he’d done.

“Kid, time to get out, you know I’ve still got to get one too,” Zabuza’s voice called.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, shutting the water off. He stepped out and dried himself, roughly pulling the towel over his tender skin, desperate to get the filth off of him. Wrapping the towel around his waist, he smiled sadly as he left the bathroom, passing by Zabuza.

“Get in bed,” Zabuza ordered before moving into the bathroom to take his own shower.

Haku obeyed, hating the fact that he hadn’t killed, hating the fact that he had failed Zabuza-san. He hated the fact that he wanted to kill, to prove himself worthy of Zabuza’s attention and time, but that he hadn’t been able to and Zabuza had had to finish the job. Traitorous tears fell from his eyes as he curled up on his side, clothed in his towel. He pulled the blankets up around his shoulders and wept silently.

When Zabuza slid into the bed, Haku didn’t move to get closer like usual, instead, he stayed still until Zabuza’s arms pulled him close, comforting him in the silence of the bedroom.


-.-.-.-.-


“Happy birthday kid,” Zabuza muttered softly, not looking at his young companion.

“Z-zabuza-san?” Haku asked, looking up in confusion.

“I don’t know when your birthday really is, but it was this day that you came to me. And so far as I know, you’re fifteen now, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Then you must celebrate. I have a gift for you,” Zabuza said.

“F-for me?”

“Stop repeating me!” Zabuza ordered. “Here,” he handed Haku a small box. It wasn’t wrapped or anything, just closed and tied shut.

“Thank you very much, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured softly, holding the box reverently. He couldn’t recall the last time he’d gotten something from anyone. Zabuza only gave him what he needed, but he had to work for it. He opened it slowly and was shocked at the white and red mask that rested in the bottom of the box. The rest of the day they spent training, with Haku wearing his new mask.


-.-.-.-.-


“Haku, you must remember that though you are stronger than everyone else, you must never allow anyone to see through your disguises. A shinobi lives and dies by deception. If you are discovered, you will be destroyed. So, you have a job to do. You will dress as a girl and live as a girl when you are not doing work with me. Do you understand?” Zabuza murmured softly.

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku nodded. He bowed to his master and turned, in a hurry to go and purchase what he would need for his newest job.

“You are to get yourself girls kimono. You will wear them when you are out and about. You will stop in hair shop and ask for help with your hair and your make-up. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san.” He turned on his heel and moved to the door.

“Do you need money?”

“No, Zabuza-san. I saved the money you gave me before. I will use it to purchase these things you require of me.”

“Very good,” Zabuza murmured. He smiled to his younger companion and nodded. “Now, go.”
Blood and Snow: Quiet before the Storm by hanyouelf
“Look at the pretty girl dressed like a boy,” a voice sneered behind him. He sighed deeply and turned to look at the group of boys gathered behind him. There were four of them and he couldn’t see a way out of them without revealing that he was actually a boy. He’d been watching the ladies in the streets and shops. The women were demure, delicate, calm, and waited their escorts patiently. He had to be demure and delicate.

“What about it, little boy? Did you wanna play with the big boys?” another boy jeered.

“I’m just doing some shopping. I had to wear this,” Haku answered in his softest voice.

“You wanted to look like a boy?” a third asked skeptically. “What for?”

“I just got dressed this morning. Please, excuse me,” Haku murmured. He didn’t want to be here, didn’t want to see what these boys had to say, what these boys wanted to do.

“Oh, wait a minute little girl. You want to play with the boys, you’re going to play with the boys,” the last one rumbled. “And how boys play is going to make you cry.”

Haku rolled his eyes wearily. They were going to gang up on a little girl? They were a group of bullies who would amount to nothing. He could detect no ninja training and they bore no mark of their village. He couldn’t fight back because he was supposed to be a delicate little girl and not a kunoichi. He bore no mark either. He shifted as the boys moved around him, leering. They smirked at him, thinking they had an easy target. And Haku would allow them to have their way. He couldn’t fight back. He wouldn’t be allowed to as a woman.

A fist moved from behind, attacking him in the back. He shifted enough to the blow so any real damage before falling to his knees, clutching at his neck as if trying to rub the area hit. While down, his years of acting kicked in and he whimpered. A kick flew from his left and he tightened his stomach so the damage was done. He bent forward, grasping and sobbed softly.

“Stop!” he growled, trying to keep anger out of his voice. He was a woman and he wouldn’t fight. Instead, he just let the boys have their bullying way with him. The blows didn’t hurt; they were more annoying then anything else. When they were finally finished, his nose was bleeding slowly and he had a few bruises growing on his body. There was no major damage though. He’d managed to avoid having all of his vital spots hit.

“Don’t dress like a boy if you don’t want to be treated like one,” the fourth boy growled. Laughing, he led the boys away, leaving Haku on the ground. With them he gone, he stood and left, intent on finding the perfect kimono for himself. He still had a mission to complete for Zabuza-san.

He stalked through the streets quickly, ignoring the pains and the blood and the odd stares as he passed people. He was shinobi; he was no stranger to pain. Zabuza was much more forceful when they were training. He didn’t stop until he came to a small kimono shop. The woman waiting inside the shop gave him a skeptical look when he walked into the building. She flicked her plain paper fan and asked, “Can I… help you?”

“I need a kimono,” he answered softly, bowing his head and refusing to meet the woman’s eyes.

“You need to clean up first,” the woman answered. “Follow me.”

Haku nodded and did as she asked. The woman smiled and murmured softly, “Don’t be scared sweetheart. You aren’t going to get hurt here. I’ll find you a pretty kimono. A pretty girl like yourself should have a pretty kimono, not dressing in boys’ clothing.”

Haku didn’t say anything, opting to smile as he followed the woman.

“What’s your name honey?”

“Shiori,” Haku answered, bowing his head slightly.

“You can call me Takashi-san,” the woman smiled. She pushed him into a stall in the bathroom. “Wash up Shiori-chan.”


Thank you,” he mumbled softly. He moved into the stall and when she was gone, he dropped his haori and examined his bruises. They weren’t severe and would heal within a few days. He grabbed a towel from beside the bowl of water and washed himself off. He winced as he cleaned his face off, hating the pink tint to the water. When he was dressed again, he went out to find Takashi-san. She was kind and willing to help him out, no matter how mean she looked.

“Shiori-chan, you’re so cute!” Takashi-san smiled. “Now that you’re cleaned up, let’s find a kimono for you, ne?”

“Thank you,” Haku bowed.

“Is there something specific you’re looking for?” Takashi-san asked, a smile wrinkling her crotchety old face.

“Something simple. My father wants me to have at least one feminine kimono. We work outside, I wear boys’ clothing,” Haku shrugged.

“Yes, you certainly aren’t very ladylike,” Takashi-san laughed. “So you want something simple, something an adorable farm girl like you can wear comfortably. Let’s see, I think I have something perfect for you,” Takashi-san mumbled. “Follow me.”

Haku obeyed, awed by the sheer number of kimono in the store. He stopped behind Takashi-san who was holding up a very sedate black and pink kimono. He held his hands out and delicately took the fabric from the woman.

“Go ahead hun, try it on.”

Haku bowed and rushed to obey. Zabuza-san would be pleased with the feminine kimono and Haku was pleased with the lack of frills and lace. It looked like something he would be able to move in, something he could work in while maintaining a girlish appearance. Behind the changing screen, Haku quickly slid out of his clothing and into the kimono. Looking down, he realized that he didn’t know which way to properly tie it shut. Feeling heat dance across his face, he called softly, “Takashi-san, which way do I tie it shut?”

“Left under the right,” Takashi-san answered. “The other way is for funerals.”

“Thank you,” Haku mumbled, quickly tying his new kimono shut. He smiled at the soft appearance it gave him, pleased with the effect it gave him. He would look at himself and he would please Zabuza-san in his new appearance. He stepped out from behind the screen to see Takashi-san. He smiled shyly, tucking long hair behind an ear.

“Perfect!” Takashi-san nearly cried. “You look absolutely wonderful.”

“Thank you very much Takashi-san,” Haku bowed.

“Is there anything else you need darling?”

“No thank you, you’ve been helpful enough.” Haku paid and left the small shop.

*

When Zabuza saw him, he couldn’t believe the change. Along the way, Haku had picked up a black choker that danced across his slender neck, neatly hiding his Adam’s apple, a pale pink kimono that looked feminine and useful, and his hair had been cleaned and let fall. A little color decorated his beautiful face: his eyes and his lips. He didn’t know what to say about the beautiful child waiting before him. It was still Haku but it was a horrible reminder of what he was going to force Haku into.

“Does this please you, Zabuza-san?” Haku asked delicately, bowing his pretty head.

“Very much, kid. You could fool even me,” Zabuza answered.

Haku smiled softly and straightened. “Are you hungry, Zabuza-san? I’ll prepare dinner for you.”

“Why don’t I take you out tonight? We’re leaving this town tomorrow. I’ll take you out,”

“Thank you, Zabuza-san. I would appreciate it very much.”

Zabuza hated this new Haku. Haku was supposed to stay pure and innocent no matter what Zabuza forced on him. He was a good soul, but since his first mission, Haku had been quiet and well behaved and nearly impossible to find unless he wanted to be found. Haku cried silently in the shower and had yet to instigate any form of contact with Zabuza.

“Have you packed everything you’ll need or want?” Zabuza asked.

“Yes. It’s all in my backpack. I’ve also packed clothing for you and some things you’ll need for out journey. There is still some room for you to add some other things, as you desire.”

“Good job. Let’s go. We’ll have ramen tonight, how’s that?”

“I would like miso ramen,” Haku smiled, moving to the door patiently.

“Let’s go then,” Zabuza smiled, covering his face quickly as he moved to the door. Checking his sword’s straps, he smiled at the younger.

They walked in silence until they reached the small ramen stand. It was there that Haku revealed what had been on his mind, what had been bothering him.

As they ate, Haku timidly asked, “Zabuza-san, will you give me an honest answer?”

“To what?”

“Do you find me desirable as a boy, Zabuza-san?” Haku asked softly. “Do you want me?”

“Of course I do. Why would you think differently?”

“Because you still won’t touch me,” Haku whispered, laying his chopsticks down and folding his hands in his lap.

“Haku, you’re not a man yet. I will not violate a child’s body. No matter how much I desire you. Yes you’ve done it before, yes you’re used to it, but I will not do it. I won’t violate you Haku. I want you Haku, so badly there are times I can’t stand to have you in my bed,” Zabuza admitted. “But I will not touch you until you are sixteen. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered, tears dancing softly in his eyes. He was good enough to please everyone but he wasn’t enough for Zabuza. He would make the wait worth it, but waiting hurt. It hurt so badly.

“Finish eating kid, we’re leaving with the sun.”

“Yes, Zabuza-san.”

*

Zabuza watched Haku pull his backpack on, smiling at the younger boy as he very calmly stood beside his older guardian, waiting for his next orders. Haku was too obedient sometimes. Though it had seemed as if Haku would rebel, he had been quickly subdued. With a heavy sigh, Zabuza muttered, “Let’s go Haku. We’re going to a tiny little island. I’ve got a job to do there,” Zabuza grinned.

“Of course, Zabuza-san,” Haku answered. He bowed his head and waited patiently for Zabuza-san to lead him. “What is our mission?”

“We’re going to kill a bridge builder,” Zabuza smiled.

*

Zabuza had never been good at showing emotions when there were others around. Hell, Haku could only decipher Zabuza because he’d lived with him for so long. So it was no surprise to Haku that he was forced to walk behind the other as they traveled. It was only when they were alone- walking on an unknown path towards the village that Zabuza slowed his powerful gait.

“Hey, kid,” Zabuza murmured softly. “I know some bad memories were created in the last village, but you have to move on okay. We’re going to stay here for as long as possible.”

“Okay, Zabuza-san. Will I spend my birthday in this village?” Haku asked softly.

“Maybe.”

Haku smiled to himself as he walked with Zabuza, his mood lifting as he walked. With all the courage he could muster, he lifted his small hand and grabbed Zabuza’s much larger hand. He smiled widely as Zabuza’s hand tightened, allowing Haku to hold onto his mentor, crush, guardian, lifeline… his whole world.

“May I confess something to you, Zabuza-san?” Haku asked in a whisper. His answer was an affirmative grunt. “I’m afraid.”

“What? You’re one of the strongest people ever. Don’t be afraid of anything. Besides, I won’t let anything serious happen to you. You belong to me and I take care of what is mine.”

Haku smiled and snuggled into Zabuza, enjoying his walking, the private time that Zabuza allowed him.
Blood and Snow: Destiny Calls by hanyouelf
Author's Notes:
A little note for you, my loving readers; I really appreciate the love and support you’ve all given me. I really do. However, I have to tell you, I will not rewrite anime/manga, but my version of events is based off of the manga. Thank you for reading, and please, enjoy and send me some love!
Haku wasn’t stupid, he knew what Gatoh wanted when he showed up on their doorstep. He wasn’t here for a social call, he had a job for Zabuza, Demon of the Mist.

“Kid, where’s the Demon?” Gatoh asked, his gravely voice grating on Haku’s nerves.

“Please, come in and I will get Zabuza-san for you,” Haku answered.

They’d been here for nearly two months without Tazuna the bridge-builder showing up. However, it had given Zabuza a chance to accumulate a small band of follower’s eager to do whatever it took to please the silent killer. Zabuza, for the first two weeks, had killed ruthlessly for his clients: whenever, whomever, whatever. He had built a reputation and destroyed others. Petty ninja who were eager for attention quickly joined up with Zabuza until he was an unofficial gang leader in the town.

“What do you want?” Zabuza growled, joining Haku in the quiet of the room.

“Tazuna has moved. He’s hired three genin and a lazy jounin from Konoha,” Gatoh grumbled. “Kill him.”

“I’ll take care of it,” Zabuza murmured, turning to nod at Haku. The quiet ninja bowed to his master before grabbing his mask and leaping from the window. He’d acquired a Mist’s hunter-nin’s mask and loved to wear it. As he wandered the town as a hunter-nin, he was graciously left alone. He smiled at the six shadows that quite stealthily followed him. The town had gone to hell since they’d started up with Gatoh and it didn’t bother him anymore. He’d learned to ignore the people and their condition, just as they had done him once before.

Just outside of town, in the shadows of the misty forest, Haku waited for the six ninja to assemble. He smiled behind his mask as they materialized before him. They bowed low, recognizing his status as the mysterious hunter-nin ever at Zabuza’s side.

“What can we do for you?”

“Tazuna has just left Konoha with a jounin and three genin. Prove yourselves and bring me his head.”

“Of course. Your wish is our command,” they answered in unison.

Haku smiled behind his mask as he watched them leave, confident they would succeed in his stead. He turned on his heel and moved stealthily through the town, back to Zabuza. He hated leaving Zabuza alone with that monster of a coward, Gatoh. He hated going away from Zabuza at any time. He didn’t want to be alone and he didn’t like leaving Zabuza alone. He was a proud boy, man, child, whatever the word was.

Zabuza was alone when he returned to their temporary home. The older man had removed his bandages and was reclining on the two-person couch they owned. Their home was simple. In the front room, there was the couch to receive people, Zabuza reclined on it, his large sword glaring from behind the piece of furniture. Their guests were never around long enough to sit and so to add to Zabuza’s power, all stood but he. Behind the front room, was their bedroom which Zabuza had allowed Haku to sort of personalize. Haku had gotten nice, soft blankets and sheets for the bed, three extra pillows (so now there were four) and a vase that always had fresh flowers. A table and a pair of chairs were near the small kitchen. It was small and homey, after the front room.

Haku smiled at the older man before removing his mask and snuggling close to him. He pulled his knees up under him and wrapped an arm around Zabuza’s waist. Zabuza didn’t mind so much as his arm fell to drape heavily over Haku’s shoulders, his powerful fingers caressing his arm.

“Did you send the grunts?” Zabuza growled softly.

“Yes, they’ve gone after the group. They should be bringing me the head of Tazuna soon. After that, can we leave Zabuza-san?” Haku asked very softly.

“Where do you want to go?” Zabuza asked. “After this bastard pays me, we’ll have more than enough to go anywhere.”

“I want to go some place warm. Some place without water. I don’t want to feel the water so much anymore. Let’s go to the land of Sand,” Haku suggested, snuggling closer against Zabuza’s side. He sighed softly as Zabuza’s arm tightened around him.

“We’ll see about that. I’ll decide about it afterwards,” Zabuza answered. “What are you making for dinner tonight? I’m hungry, so make a lot.”

“Of course, Zabuza-san. What would you like for dinner?”

“Chicken.”

Haku smiled and nodded. “Of course, Zabuza-san. Please, excuse me, I have to change before I go to get the ingredients for dinner tonight.”’

-.-.-.-

Haku woke up to shouting. Zabuza’s spot on the bed was cold; he’d been up for quite some time. The pillow he was clutching was proof of Zabuza’s sneaky escape.

“How the fuck did they fail?!” Zabuza railed, something crashing against the wall. “Children and a lazy ninja should have been child’s play!”

Haku cringed at the tone of his master’s voice and the anger in the room. He jumped when Zabuza’s deep voice addressed him.

“Yes, Zabuza-san?” Haku answered, leaping forward to stand before the powerful shinobi. Haku wasn’t ashamed of his half-dressed, mussy-haired appearance.

“Dress. I want the hunter-nin out. We’re going hunting because those damned lackey’s failed. You’ll be watching as I destroy those damned bastards,” Zabuza ordered.

Immediately, Haku was in motion. He schooled his face into the mask he wore beneath the mask. As Zabuza stormed around the front room, his cool surprisingly lost, Haku dressed quickly, not wanting to raise the ire of his master. Today, Haku had to play the ever-obedient, subservient child to Zabuza.

The genin and team and the jounin had somehow protected the bridge-builder.

“Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured softly, joining the raging man. “Please, Zabuza-san. Join me at the table.”

Zabuza growled and did as Haku asked. With a huff, he flopped into the chair and tapped his fingers impatiently against the table. He turned his angry eyes to the younger and growled, “What?”

“You won’t do anyone any good if you aren’t calm enough to think clearly. Please, close your eyes and allow me to help you relax,” Haku murmured.

Zabuza sighed angrily and did, following Haku’s suggestion. He had to fight the urge to sigh as the younger man’s skillful fingers went to work, caressing and relaxing. He had started at the base of Zabuza’s neck, massaging powerfully and slowly before moving out to work on the shoulders. He smiled softly, glad that Zabuza had finally relaxed. Haku would have continued until a knock on the door interrupted him. He left the older man sitting in the chair to answer the door.

He had a hard time controlling the hatred in his body at Gatoh’s appearance with his two hired thugs. “Move kid,” Gatoh growled. “Let me talk to your master.”

Haku stepped aside and murmured, “I will return with Zabuza-san.” He left the three strangers standing as he retrieved his master. He followed behind the other, head bowed as he flopped greedily onto the couch. His large sword was stuck behind him, beside Haku’s very still form.

-.-.-

“Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured, following the older man through the woods.

“What kid?”

“I’m not a child anymore Zabuza-san. I… I want to be with you. I want to give you my body. I know I’m not the correct age yet, but it’s only two months away. I’m ready and I’m almost old enough. Please Zabuza-san, please allow me to give you my body,” Haku pleaded softly.

“We’ll see what happens afterwards. Prove yourself to me today and I’ll consider it.”

“Yes, Zabuza-san,” Haku murmured. "Thank you."
Blood and Snow: The End by hanyouelf
Zabuza closed his eyes wearily. Kakashi had been a powerful, formidable opponent. He’d fallen to the shinobi, and in Haku’s memory, given himself up to destroy Gatoh. The dead, beheaded man was relief. He was pleased and he was fulfilled in life now. The only thing he truly regretted was his lack of intimacy with the beautiful boy who’d gone on ahead of him. Haku had been a powerful, beautiful, wonderful ally. He hated himself for how callous and cold he’d been to the boy. The boy had always been loyal, giving him a decade of service, a decade of obedience and a decade of love. He’d fallen in love with the child and he couldn’t stop the hurt that echoed in his heart, a separate and different pain from his body’s hurts.

Haku; beautiful, perfect Haku had given everything he’d had to fulfill Zabuza’s plans. Haku; wonderfully innocent Haku had done anything and everything to please his older keeper and it had ended up costing him his life. As his vision dimmed and his body failed, he couldn’t stop the final, fleeting, silent apology to his perfect Haku.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=1713